Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The front pages are pretty bad for Hancock – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    So.

I've read the Pentagon's UAP report.

It's not exactly "aliens are out there". It's "there are a limited number of phenomenon that we can't classify, because we don't have enough information. It is possible that these are not terristerial."

The summary is:

The UAP documented in this limited dataset demonstrate an array of aerial behaviors, reinforcing the possibility there are multiple types of UAP requiring different explanations. Our analysis of the data supports the construct that if and when individual UAP incidents are resolved they will fall into one of five potential explanatory categories: airborne clutter, natural atmospheric phenomena, USG or industry developmental programs, foreign adversary systems, and a catchall “other” bin.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

So.

It's not exactly "aliens are out there". It's "there are a limited number of phenomenon that we can't classify, because we don't have enough information. It is possible that these are not terristerial."

The summary is:

The UAP documented in this limited dataset demonstrate an array of aerial behaviors, reinforcing the possibility there are multiple types of UAP requiring different explanations. Our analysis of the data supports the construct that if and when individual UAP incidents are resolved they will fall into one of five potential explanatory categories: airborne clutter, natural atmospheric phenomena, USG or industry developmental programs, foreign adversary systems, and a catchall “other” bin.

Leon's hard on has just gone very soft....back to the lab leak theory.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884

Drip drip drip, the narrative continues.

Perhaps Starmer can just sit on his hands a bit longer

I imagine there will be quite a few politicians sitting on their hands for a while, rather than getting their hands on a seat.
  • Options

The FA have asked Wembley staff to play loud music at kick-off during England's remaining European Championship matches to drown out the boos from some fans when Gareth Southgate's players take the knee.

I went to see LAFC vs Dallas on Wednesday evening (it was fab, btw). Before the game, the Dallas players took the knee, but the LAFC players didn't. Interestingly, LAFC is probably the least "white" team in the league.

Highlights below, should anyone be interested in the quality of MLS play:

https://youtu.be/E4yz6Y6Y8cU
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,461
    From 24th September last year.

"Matt Hancock tells Brits to avoid casual sex and stick to 'established' partners

Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Sky News journalist Kay Burley became rather giggly as they discussed the Government's casual sex ban and when it will end"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/matt-hancock-tells-brits-avoid-22735271
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Hancock tells Brits to avoid casual sex and stick to 'established' partners

Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Sky News journalist Kay Burley became rather giggly as they discussed the Government's casual sex ban and when it will end"

So, long standing affairs are OK, but new ones are off limits.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298

I'm off to bed but I would like to register my total lack of surprise at the reintroduction of roaming charges, despite many insisting it would never happen, it was obvious it would. Another Brexit dividend.

And another?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/supermarkets-weeks-away-empty-shelves-24390616

"Supermarkets 'weeks away' from empty shelves as driver shortage reaches 'crisis point'

A long-term shortage of truckers has been worsened by Brexit and the pandemic, leading to a slump in the number of lorry drivers being trained.
    "
  • Options
    Gnud said:

I'm off to bed but I would like to register my total lack of surprise at the reintroduction of roaming charges, despite many insisting it would never happen, it was obvious it would. Another Brexit dividend.

And another?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/supermarkets-weeks-away-empty-shelves-24390616

"Supermarkets 'weeks away' from empty shelves as driver shortage reaches 'crisis point'

A long-term shortage of truckers has been worsened by Brexit and the pandemic, leading to a slump in the number of lorry drivers being trained.
    "
    They don't need to do these things because of Brexit. They choose to do them.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    Why is it taking so long for Matt Hancock to leave his job? There is no way it's good for the government for it to be viewed as taking the piss when it lays down Covid rules. Hancock is a far more recognisable figure than Dominic Cummings who, eyesight test trip notwithstanding, drove north to ensure his son was looked after in the event that both of the boy's parents got taken ill. Hancock has no excuse whatsoever, any more than Neil Ferguson did. Is there a fight over who will replace him maybe?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    Something else Trump wasn't wrong about...but as with everything Trump, didn't think it through properly how to deal with it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/tiktok-insiders-say-chinese-parent-bytedance-in-control.html
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,493
    edited June 2021
    On Topic - Seems to me (and methinks others on here & elsewhere) that Matt Hancock's most serious offenses - legally & politically - are:

1. Breaching anti-COVID rules & regs promulgated and promoted by himself, and enforced against others, generally for infractions less serious than his own.

2. Hiring a long-time acquaintance and some-time intimate to a high-paid, part-time government advisory position with his department.

One one level, Hancock has greatly contributed to the jollification of the Great British Public with his contribution to that most remarkable and beloved of genres, the Great British Sex Scandal. After the long COVID winter and a short, semi-hot summer of angst mixed with hope (and visa versa).

With the fillip of clear CTV footage of the minister in close consultation with an even closer advisor. In a setup that could have come (and probably did) from an old re-run of "The Office". Ensuring that approximately 99.46% of Brits with a phone, computer or TV will view it within the next week or so.

My guess is that Hancock's position becomes untenable due to #1 above, with assist possible from #2.

And saying "they all do it, there all hypocrites" will NOT wash this time. Because they (read we) do NOT all get themselves (ourselves) on video seen from Bogner to Bangkok.

And certainly zero need to wonder, how did that film get into the grubby mitts of the Sun? My guess is that it took first security guard who saw the footage AND recognized Matt Hancock in it, it took that persona about thirty seconds to conclude THIS was something for which the tabloids would pay good money, no doubt about that methinks.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336
    Gnud said:

Why is it taking so long for Matt Hancock to leave his job? There is no way it's good for the government for it to be viewed as taking the piss when it lays down Covid rules. Hancock is a far more recognisable figure than Dominic Cummings who, eyesight test trip notwithstanding, drove north to ensure his son was looked after in the event that both of the boy's parents got taken ill. Hancock has no excuse whatsoever, any more than Neil Ferguson did. Is there a fight over who will replace him maybe?

I think there's two reasons.

1.) Whether you love them or loathe them, this government is very much predicated on a lassez-faire attitude to rules. Something which comes from the top. Therefore, no one will be sacked/forced to resign for impropriety unless they absolutely have to be - not least because the man heading it might have to sack himself. We've seen it with Cummings, Patel, Jenrick, Williamson. They judge it has a benefit in allowing to be more freewheeling and less robotic - which has worked so far but people may get fed up. But sack someone for shoddy behaviour and you open up a whole can of worms about how you're judging that. The polls are good. They judge the approach of stonewalling works as long as you give people what they want. Populism means never saying you're sorry.

But...I think Hancock would be gone by now as so severe and he's clearly not well liked, nor that politically useful, were it not for 2.)

2.) The idea they hang alone or survive together. By this I mean we haven't even begun to unravel the policy errors and bad decisions taken mid-pandemic. There's something in the idea it was a unprecedently difficult job, but as Cummings has begun to unspool, there's probably a load of stuff that looks awful for all if ministers and advisers came clean about errors, so best for everyone to stay in post until we're out of the woods. The worst can be pensioned off to the Lords, and politics has moved on. Better to have inside till then, rather than, say, a debagged Hancock defending himself by attacking the PM as being responsible for failure x or y.

I wonder though now if the clamour is too great.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Leon said:

God that video of Hancock is, quite frankly, gross

I doubt she thought so.. poor bugger has been thro hell and you want to.pillory him for a quick fumble.. you are just jealous.
    Whoever his enemies are, they are in danger of generating sympathy for the embattled minister. Why post a video which will clearly hurt his family?

Yuk
    Not really - he had a chance to resign earlier today - given that he didn't take it it's not surprising more evidence was released.
    Suspect this is a warm up to the Sunday papers.
    It started with a kiss ... he never thought it would come to this.

I feel a teeny bit sorry for him. Maybe I should grow a pair.
    It started out with a kiss
    How did it end up like this?
    It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
    Now I'm falling asleep
    And she's calling a cab
    While he's having a smoke
    And she's taking a drag
    Now they're going to bed
    And my stomach is sick
    And it's all in my head
    But she's touching his chest now
    He takes off her dress now
    Let me go
    And I just can't look, it's killing me
    And taking control
    Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
    Swimming through sick lullabies
    Choking on your alibis
    But it's just the price I pay
    Destiny is calling me
    Open up my eager eyes
    'Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
    That is a tune.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    This “non-executive director” nonsense in the public sector is a Tony Blair scheme. Classic chumocracy: skimming public funds into the pockets of pals of the ruling party.

It is the responsibility of parliament to oversee departments and hold them to account. We don’t need “boards” too.

Every time you delve into the background of these Westminster and Whitehall twats you discover that they are all just lining their own nests.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Oh the irony of Shagger Johnson’s government telling the plebs to stop shagging.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Labour should hold Batley and Spen.

Labour still drifting according to Oddschecker:

Best prices - Batley and Spen by-election

Conservatives 4/13
    Labour 7/2
    Cat impersonator 12/1
    200 bar
  • Options

Fenman said:

No chance. Gorgeous George will save the day for Johnson.
    Maybe Gorgeous George will win the seat with 30% of the vote.
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

The long-awaited report on unidentified objects in Hancock's office is out.

This is better than the Matt cartoon for tonight
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1408460892241633284/photo/1

• Options
    edited June 2021

This “non-executive director” nonsense in the public sector is a Tony Blair scheme. Classic chumocracy: skimming public funds into the pockets of pals of the ruling party.

It is the responsibility of parliament to oversee departments and hold them to account. We don’t need “boards” too.

Every time you delve into the background of these Westminster and Whitehall twats you discover that they are all just lining their own nests.

Thank goodness that we don’t have hundreds of these positions in Scotland held by party apparatchiks. , eh? Lol.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Thank goodness that we don’t have hundreds of these positions in Scotland held by party apparatchiks. , eh? Lol.
    Get rid of the lot. This is yet another inheritance from the previous Lib-Lab coalition that the incoming government should have ditched in 2007.

This document is absolutely laughable:

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/advice-and-guidance/2014/12/non-executive-director-toolkit/documents/non-executive-director-toolkit-pdf/non-executive-director-toolkit-pdf/govscot:document/Non-executive+director+toolkit.pdf

Primary school illustrations, “sitting in a helicopter”, LinkedIn groups. I want to boke.
  • Options
    David, I saw you post that you were unwell, but then missed several threads (Midsommar celebrations etc). I assume that all went well in the end? Glad to see you posting.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Fenman said:

Conservatives 4/13
    Labour 7/2
    Cat impersonator 12/1
    200 bar
    At this stage in C&A the LDs were on about 20/1
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Fenman said:

Conservatives 4/13
    Labour 7/2
    Cat impersonator 12/1
    200 bar
    At this stage in C&A the LDs were on about 20/1
    I won’t be wasting 50p* on the Disgrace of Dundee, Hillhead, Queen of the South etc etc etc.

(*50p being a typical max stake the bookies allow successful punters like my good self)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-scotland-fan-fury-as-george-galloway-allowed-into-football-match-2778ptd7k
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Fenman said:

No chance. Gorgeous George will save the day for Johnson.
    Maybe Gorgeous George will win the seat with 30% of the vote.
    It's possible, but I just don't see the Conservative + BXP + Heavy Woolen vote dropping below 35%.

Don't forget that unlike C&A, this was very Leave seat, so the Conservatives aren't fighting a bunch of disgruntled Remainers.

Plus, it's not *that* Muslim a seat. Galloway hasn't managed to outpoll the Muslim share of the vote by more than 5% historically, which only gets him to 24%. Even if he were to get to 30%, that would almost entirely be at the expense of Labour.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't see how Galloway wins. Unless the LDs managed to grab 10-15% of the Conservative (anti-lockdown and pro-EU) vote, then they will end up north of 35%.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cookie said:

gealbhan said:

Cookie said:

gealbhan said:

Floater said:

Daily Mail

Pressure grows on Boris Johnson to sack Matt Hancock as 60-seconds long footage of the scandal-hit Health Secretary's clinch with a married aide emerged tonight, with one Tory MP warning 'If the public want him out then he could be gone by Monday'

IF IF IF????

Bye Hancock!!!

It’s a lovely video. They are clearly in love. It’s heartening to see them both smiling with all the pressure they both must have been under in the grim Covid fight.
    I've just watched it (why?!) Have to say I agree with you really.

I stand by what I said earlier about the kicking though. Because of what @dixiedean said - blatantly disregarding guidelines he helped raw up. And enforced with menaces. And because the guidelines are so wildly over-the-top and have caused such misery.
    I’m not sure there is hypocrisy angle. We are not really in a lock down anymore like we were, so to bring up all the rule keeping suffering from proper lockdowns as comparison does not apply. If the lady her family or friends gained from public procurements that doesn’t apply either, because this is not like the Profumo affair, or the sordid office liaisons by Prescott and other Labour politicians, this is a proper love affair between friends who are very close.

Thomas Hardy said he did not believe in marriage because people can naturally be very much in love with more than one person at a time. Unfortunately The Conservative Party has to believe in support for marriage and costs for adultery, so Hancock should be forced out to protect the sanctity of marriage.
    At the very least, I would observe he is not wearing a mask while being less than 1.5m from a colleagueand being stood up. I would quitelike, for example, to go to the pub without constantly slipping a mask on and off.
    You do realise if he is sacked the new minister will not have the knowledge base to make a recommendation on lifting the rules on Jul 5?

I reckon this is a play by the Zeros to keep us locked up for longer…

Get us out of lockdown, do a reshuffle, thank him for his hard work and send him off to repair his personal life
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

So.

The summary is:

It was never going to be anything else 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

So before the lockdown in winter and then the release in the rules
  • Options

David, I saw you post that you were unwell, but then missed several threads (Midsommar celebrations etc). I assume that all went well in the end? Glad to see you posting.

Still in hospital Stuart , hence the posts in the middle of the night

• Options
    Was chatting to a Conservative friend last night. She thought Hancock 'will have to' resign. Why? Because he spent all those weeks telling us to do the opposite of what he has. She added: 'no one will now take seriously anything he says.' This was also the viewpoint of her household apparently.

p.s. DavidL good to see you are in the best hands. You've had us worried.

• Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

Cookie said:

gealbhan said:

Cookie said:

gealbhan said:

Floater said:

Daily Mail

Pressure grows on Boris Johnson to sack Matt Hancock as 60-seconds long footage of the scandal-hit Health Secretary's clinch with a married aide emerged tonight, with one Tory MP warning 'If the public want him out then he could be gone by Monday'

IF IF IF????

Bye Hancock!!!

It’s a lovely video. They are clearly in love. It’s heartening to see them both smiling with all the pressure they both must have been under in the grim Covid fight.

I stand by what I said earlier about the kicking though. Because of what @dixiedean said - blatantly disregarding guidelines he helped raw up. And enforced with menaces. And because the guidelines are so wildly over-the-top and have caused such misery.
    I’m not sure there is hypocrisy angle. We are not really in a lock down anymore like we were, so to bring up all the rule keeping suffering from proper lockdowns as comparison does not apply. If the lady her family or friends gained from public procurements that doesn’t apply either, because this is not like the Profumo affair, or the sordid office liaisons by Prescott and other Labour politicians, this is a proper love affair between friends who are very close.

Thomas Hardy said he did not believe in marriage because people can naturally be very much in love with more than one person at a time. Unfortunately The Conservative Party has to believe in support for marriage and costs for adultery, so Hancock should be forced out to protect the sanctity of marriage.
    At the very least, I would observe he is not wearing a mask while being less than 1.5m from a colleagueand being stood up. I would quitelike, for example, to go to the pub without constantly slipping a mask on and off.
    You do realise if he is sacked the new minister will not have the knowledge base to make a recommendation on lifting the rules on Jul 5?

Get us out of lockdown, do a reshuffle, thank him for his hard work and send him off to repair his personal life
    Jeremy Hunt would have the knowledge base. Unfortunately, Boris Johnson isn't secure enough to surround himself with anyone but toadies.

The rest of your post is probably true though.
  • Options
    This is troubling: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-57602773

A series of restrictions assuming continued social distancing for a Christmas market as a result of which it will run at a loss.
    Surely the need for those things will be ancient history by then?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Ratters said:

If you want to impose authoritarian rules that effectively make new relationships forbidden, including at a point on time when the most vulnerable are vaccinated, it is pretty predictable that you will end up making a mockery of the law.

For the Health Secretary to then ignore the government's own rules by having an affair in the office on camera shows an impressive amount of contempt for everyone else

I know we are in a pandemic but rules should be defendable and followed by those in charge. If the rules are not viable to follow in practice, maybe they should have thought of that before making them.

On Camera. If you think a papparazzi style photo is flaunting it... frankly the Sun is v distasteful....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Good morning.

Good to see DavidL posting, reasonably cheerfully too. And he's obviously found a phone charger! Which is also good!

Someone up thread mentioned a video of Hancock's 'antics'; if something even moderately salacious gets about, surely his position will, as is said, become untenable.

And I agree that Jeremy Hunt could probably get up to speed quickly. Isn't the No2 in the Department Helen Whatley, though? She ought to know what's going on.
    Although ......
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

kle4 said:

This is difficult for me as I think that Hancock should go for breaching his own rules - but I wouldn't want to see The S*n given the satisfaction of a scalp.

Supporting something simply because it 'annoys the right people' is a bad trend in politics, and the same can apply for opposing something simply because it will 'please the wrong people'.

So I think we can get over it.
    Let's play my favourite game, swap Tory for Labour and let's see the reaction then. They would be calling for the person's head and rightfully so
    Which is why Starmer isn't saying anything.. too many skeletons within Labour. Hypocrisy isn't restricted to the Tories...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    I still don't see how any of his crimes are any different from any of the other crimes committed by the cabinet. Nobody resigns in the Clown car cult no matter what they do.

Mancock should simply respond to the press fury by grinning, tipping them a knowing wink and then "wayhay!!!" and the press and even PB Tories will quickly call it a Westminster bubble story that nobody cares about
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

kle4 said:

This is difficult for me as I think that Hancock should go for breaching his own rules - but I wouldn't want to see The S*n given the satisfaction of a scalp.

Supporting something simply because it 'annoys the right people' is a bad trend in politics, and the same can apply for opposing something simply because it will 'please the wrong people'.

Let's play my favourite game, swap Tory for Labour and let's see the reaction then. They would be calling for the person's head and rightfully so
    Which is why Starmer isn't saying anything.. too many skeletons within Labour. Hypocrisy isn't restricted to the Tories...
    Yes, but little things like that didn't bother Blair.

I think you always go for the jugular as LotO. Sometimes it'll work, and sometimes it'll just be forgotten. But you should always try. That's what differentiates a political genius like Blair from a mediocre plodder like Starmer.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Fishing said:

kle4 said:

I think you always go for the jugular as LotO. Sometimes it'll work, and sometimes it'll just be forgotten. But you should always try. That's what differentiates a political genius like Blair from a mediocre plodder like Starmer.
    On the contrary. The LoO stays above the fray. Other ministers go for it and do the hard work. You introduce the LoO when the victory is in the bag.

It’s like chess
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    edited June 2021
    The husband's hoofed her out. Fucking LOL.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,099
    DavidL said:

A series of restrictions assuming continued social distancing for a Christmas market as a result of which it will run at a loss.

Yes. It will take a while for people to adjust to the emergency being over.

We saw inertia at the beginning of the emergency and we will see inertia at the end. It will take some effort to overcome.
  • Options

Good morning.

Good to see DavidL posting, reasonably cheerfully too. And he's obviously found a phone charger! Which is also good!

Someone up thread mentioned a video of Hancock's 'antics'; if something even moderately salacious gets about, surely his position will, as is said, become untenable.

And I agree that Jeremy Hunt could probably get up to speed quickly. Isn't the No2 in the Department Helen Whatley, though? She ought to know what's going on.
    Although ......

If Mancock has to resign then doesn't the pack turn on its next target? He has done nothing wrong* from the perspective of a party where everything is acceptable. His boss and colleagues have all done bad and the PM simply ignores it.

If bad is now a resignation offence won't they all end up going one at a time? Mancock wasted money so lets go after the PM. Mancock broke the Ministerial Code so lets go after Patel and the PM. Mancock lied so lets go after the PM and Patel and Williamson and we'll be here all day.

No wonder Shagger says "cased closed"...
  • Options
    Fishing said:

kle4 said:

Blair had been around politics for a while before he became LotO; he'd even fought a hopeless seat. In other words he'd had time to look at what others had done, or did, and, even if unconsciously, learn.
    Starmer's learning on the job, and worse, he has to unlearn many, if not all, the interpersonal skills he'd developed as a senior lawyer.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Good morning

This time yesteday I called on Hancock to resign and the fact he has not done so is unacceptable, and this conservative member has no hesitation in condemning Hancock's hypocrisy and if he is still in office by Monday, then Boris has to sack him

Failing that, the conservative mps need to question just how they can make Hancock go and even start considering just how long they are prepared to continue with Boris if he refuses yet again to do the right thing

Enough is enough and following Cummings debacle a repeat performance is just not acceptable

It is clear the conservative press have long since disliked Hancock and they are leading the pack for his dismissal and on this occasion I support their demands

However, I would also say to the press just leave Hancock's wife and her husband alone and keep away from their homes

This is a personal crisis for the families, and of course there is no doubt that Hancock's self inflicted own goal will deflect from his responsibilities.

It is inconceivable that he could lead a covid press conference

For goodness sake, Hancock, do the right thing for once and resign

However, my mood will be greatly improved later today when Wales beat Denmark
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Good morning

This time yesteday I called on Hancock to resign and the fact he has not done so is unacceptable, and this conservative member has no hesitation in condemning Hancock's hypocrisy and if he is still in office by Monday, then Boris has to sack him

Failing that, the conservative mps need to question just how they can make Hancock go and even start considering just how long they are prepared to continue with Boris if he refuses yet again to do the right thing

Enough is enough and following Cummings debacle a repeat performance is just not acceptable

It is clear the conservative press have long since disliked Hancock and they are leading the pack for his dismissal and on this occasion I support their demands

However, I would also say to the press just leave Hancock's wife and her husband alone and keep away from their homes

This is a personal crisis for the families, and of course there is no doubt that Hancock's self inflicted own goal will deflect from his responsibilities.

Can’t understand how anyone could think that Hancock should go, but Boris should stay.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Why do you get pleasure from other people's family crisis

• Options

DavidL said:

We saw inertia at the beginning of the emergency and we will see inertia at the end. It will take some effort to overcome.
    It’s important that we do. Not just for the economy but for our collective sanity. The restrictions imposed here by the Council are just wrong.

A bizarre reluctance to have the equivalent of vaccine passports has already cost us most of the benefits that should have accrued from our early vaccination. We must not lose the rest from silly restrictions after this is over.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Good morning

Can’t understand how anyone could think that Hancock should go, but Boris should stay.
    I was going to say. Big G - who has vocally supported lies and corruption and the code being broken - suddenly turns and says "enough is enough"? Will he also then back the other liars being sacked? Or the other code-breachers? Or the other people bunging money to their mates?

This is the quandry for the party. The press pack will understandibly be out for their head. They want the kill. But how can they then stop having said that breaking the law and the ministerial rules and propriety and ethics is a resignation offence? Patel and Liar would both have to go unless its one rule for them and another for Mancock.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Why do you get pleasure from other people's family crisis

Mainly spite with a garnish of joie maligne.
  • Options
    Interesting sports article in today's Guardian:

'The 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas, the former world road race champion Lizzie Deignan and the seven-time Grand Tour winner Chris Froome are among leading names in British cycling to have signed an open letter calling on the government to assist young British riders whose racing careers have been stalled by post-Brexit travel arrangements.'

The problem is the 90 day rule. There just aren't enough cycling events other than in Europe to let riders get experience, and sharpen their skills!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    Hancock is damned by his own commentary on the Ferguson affair, when he was adamant that the love-struck professor had to go for breaking Covid rules
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hancock is damned by his own commentary on the Ferguson affair, when he was adamant that the love-struck professor had to go for breaking Covid rules

He was also adamant that Cummings had to not go for breaking Covid rules.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good morning

If you have read my recent posts I have consistently said that I would like Rishi to replace Boris as soon as possible and that I did not vote for Boris in the membership ballot

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058
    Dura_Ace said:

He’s very gallant, he even helped her pack the car.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,362

Good morning

And if Hancock doesn't resign, Boris doesn't sack him and Conservative MPs don't ditch Boris...

... Are you prepared to withdraw your support from the Conservative Party? Even temporarily?

Because unless you, and a lot of people like you, do, there's no mechanism to apply pressure.

And you will be in the same position as every other ineffectual opponent of Boris who points out the wrongs of this government but can do nothing about it.

"Boris Derangement Syndrome" some call it.
  • Options

'The 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas, the former world road race champion Lizzie Deignan and the seven-time Grand Tour winner Chris Froome are among leading names in British cycling to have signed an open letter calling on the government to assist young British riders whose racing careers have been stalled by post-Brexit travel arrangements.'

The problem is the 90 day rule. There just aren't enough cycling events other than in Europe to let riders get experience, and sharpen their skills!

Surely this is a matter for the Europeans rather than us? It is not the UK that is restricting them to 90 days.
  • Options

Charles said:

Cookie said:

gealbhan said:

Cookie said:

gealbhan said:

Floater said:

Daily Mail

IF IF IF????

Bye Hancock!!!

Jeremy Hunt would have the knowledge base. Unfortunately, Boris Johnson isn't secure enough to surround himself with anyone but toadies.

The rest of your post is probably true though.
    Why would Hunt take the job? He has the status to go for the top job when Boris crashes in flames
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good morning

I was going to say. Big G - who has vocally supported lies and corruption and the code being broken - suddenly turns and says "enough is enough"? Will he also then back the other liars being sacked? Or the other code-breachers? Or the other people bunging money to their mates?

This is the quandry for the party. The press pack will understandibly be out for their head. They want the kill. But how can they then stop having said that breaking the law and the ministerial rules and propriety and ethics is a resignation offence? Patel and Liar would both have to go unless its one rule for them and another for Mancock.
    You simply do not understand that neither labour or the lib dems have anything remotely acceptable as an alternative
  • Options
    DavidL said:

When setting out the rules they can’t do anything but apply the law as it stands. I’d assume they will revisit as and when social distancing is reduced
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

He is probably wary of the optics of ejecting the missus, and is worried that women might be put off buying the overpriced tat in Oliver Bonas shops.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

When setting out the rules they can’t do anything but apply the law as it stands. I’d assume they will revisit as and when social distancing is reduced
    I don’t agree. Otherwise Silverstone, to take one example, wouldn’t be selling hundreds of thousands of tickets.
    They can reasonably assess what the law will be and then revisit it if things do not go as expected.

The default assumption you have described is a part of the problem and a demonstration of how the dead hand of these regulations can reach into the future if we let it.
  • Options

Good morning

And if Hancock doesn't resign, Boris doesn't sack him and Conservative MPs don't ditch Boris...

... Are you prepared to withdraw your support from the Conservative Party? Even temporarily?

Because unless you, and a lot of people like you, do, there's no mechanism to apply pressure.

And you will be in the same position as every other ineffectual opponent of Boris who points out the wrongs of this government but can do nothing about it.

It does seem pure hypocrisy for any labour supporter to criticise conservatives for objecting to Hancock's behaviour, while they allowed Corbyn to destroy their party but still retained their support for it

And as I have said neither labour or the lib dens have an acceptable alternative offer
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Jonathan said:

Good morning

If you have read my recent posts I have consistently said that I would like Rishi to replace Boris as soon as possible and that I did not vote for Boris in the membership ballot

You didn’t vote against him either.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good morning

You simply do not understand that neither labour or the lib dems have anything remotely acceptable as an alternative
    So as @Stuartinromford notes above, you can hypocritically call for Hancock to resign for his infractions having supported the same infractions when done by Patel and Johnson, yer when he does not resign and does not get sacked you will show your contempt for the PM and his government by voting Conservative.

Until people like you stop voting for the thing that you find so morally abhorrent, they will continue to act this way knowing that millions of absolute fools hate them but will vote for them anyway.

This is not about Labour of the LibDems. Don't vote at all. Vote for an independent. Spoil your ballot - do *anything* other than vote for these corrupt lying degenerates.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Surely this is a matter for the Europeans rather than us? It is not the UK that is restricting them to 90 days.
    It was part of the 'agreement'; something else not thought through.

It's a matter for Dowden, as head of the DCMS to raise in the appropriate quarters. Not, as other Ministers appear to be doing, shrug and sometimes point to inappropriate 'alternatives'.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

The government would need to negotiate with Europe. Individual cyclists can't phone up Ursula von der Leyen, and they certainly can't offer Europeans the same concessions for riding in Britain.

Musicians had (or have) much much the same complaint over touring.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The British stagières and neo pros haven't got the message about Global Britain. They should want to race in Vietnam or Queensland not Belgium or Italy.

The amount of events is irrelevant as nobody could race for 90 days in a calendar year and be competitive anyway never mind 90 days out of 180. The problem is they won't be able to stay with their teams for the full season for training and the all important socialisation.
  • Options

Good morning

No offence to you personally but it's most amusing to see a Conservative trying to take the moral high ground over this or anything else.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021
    O/T - developments in Australia are going to be interesting. If there’s a lot of unidentified cases out there and the new lockdown in Sydney doesn’t work...
  • Options

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

the optics .
    uh-oh
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,967
    Dura_Ace said:

It's the modern equivalent of Augustus Egg's 'Past and Present'.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,967

Good morning

Denmark likely to have the sympathy support, though.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,099
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It’s important that we do. Not just for the economy but for our collective sanity. The restrictions imposed here by the Council are just wrong.

A bizarre reluctance to have the equivalent of vaccine passports has already cost us most of the benefits that should have accrued from our early vaccination. We must not lose the rest from silly restrictions after this is over.
    This was one of the reasons why I despised the phrase, "the new normal." These restrictions were extraordinary and temporary - and now no longer necessary.

I can sympathise with people finding it hard to adjust, though. I see others calling it malevolence, and I just think it's simple psychology.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Morning all,

Have the police been to see Hancock yet? He looks to have broken the law over covid say leading lawyers.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It was part of the 'agreement'; something else not thought through.

It's a matter for Dowden, as head of the DCMS to raise in the appropriate quarters. Not, as other Ministers appear to be doing, shrug and sometimes point to inappropriate 'alternatives'.
    We can raise it, they decide it, just like we decided how those millions of EU citizens here should be treated. More than a million of whom we didn’t even know were here.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The government would need to negotiate with Europe. Individual cyclists can't phone up Ursula von der Leyen, and they certainly can't offer Europeans the same concessions for riding in Britain.

And, unless I'm mistaken, that's not been resolved, and shows no sign of being. What happens to, for example, Australian musicians (etc)?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Good morning

No offence to you personally but it's most amusing to see a Conservative trying to take the moral high ground over this or anything else.
    You may be surprised just how many there are of us

My son and his partner are threatened with a £10,000 fine at their wedding on the 31st July if they breach social distancing regulations and Hancock's is the architect of this rule which he simply does not apply to himself

Enough is enough and we all need to be released on the 19th July from this nonsense
  • Options
    Personally I couldn't care a less whether Hancock has had an affair. And I couldn't care a less if he broke lockdown. So have I. Many, many, times.

The problem is that he was insisting on one rule for others and something different for himself. Which is vexing some of my Conservative friends.

But all politicians are corrupt. They're all morally bankrupt. And we don't elect them to play Jesus.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. L, I agree entirely. The point of vaccination is to return us to normality, and masks and social distancing are not normal. They're measures introduced to decrease the spread of a disease.
  • Options

Good morning

Have you made your displeasure known to local Torys and your chair and MP?

It is important that members and the public put the pressure on this weekend. Telegraph reports that the view in No 10 is that he has to go if enough of the public say enough is enough of this rule breaking and one rule for us and one rule for them.

I have written to my MP.

I want him gone as you do @Big_G_NorthWales
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

This was one of the reasons why I despised the phrase, "the new normal." These restrictions were extraordinary and temporary - and now no longer necessary.

I can sympathise with people finding it hard to adjust, though. I see others calling it malevolence, and I just think it's simple psychology.
    It is. But it is something that the government should be alert to and working to prevent. If the legislation under which such restrictions are imposed is repealed the government must be careful that it is not replaced by a misuse of license requirements.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

Fishing said:

kle4 said:

Blair had been around politics for a while before he became LotO; he'd even fought a hopeless seat. In other words he'd had time to look at what others had done, or did, and, even if unconsciously, learn.
    Starmer's learning on the job, and worse, he has to unlearn many, if not all, the interpersonal skills he'd developed as a senior lawyer.
    I agree up to a point, but do you think Starmer shows signs of learning at all? I think he just does the same thing - makes worthy but futile points, then fails to go in for the kill - and expects different results.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

It's the modern equivalent of Augustus Egg's 'Past and Present'.
    You only get this calibre of cultural commentary on pb.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Good morning

Good morning

But your fellow Conservatives (not you personally, obvs) voted for Johnson, whose opinion of the moral high ground is similar to that of a previous Conservative leader 'a far away country, of which we know little'!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Certainly more so than the traditional approach of helping by throwing her stuff out of an upstairs window?
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited June 2021

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. L, I agree entirely. The point of vaccination is to return us to normality, and masks and social distancing are not normal. They're measures introduced to decrease the spread of a disease.

Interesting and concerning to see that Israel is reimposing the wearing of face masks.

Of all the freedoms we want back, the wearing of face masks indoors is probably the final one on the list. I wish it were not so.
  • Options

Good morning

I am sure they have but Wales are playing well at present and may just pull off a surprise
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

DavidL said:

Why musicians and cyclists and not others?

Our government wanted to end FoM and this is part of it. Tough on the cyclists who didn't vote for it, but that is Brexit.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

kle4 said:

I agree up to a point, but do you think Starmer shows signs of learning at all? I think he just does the same thing - makes worthy but futile points, then fails to go in for the kill - and expects different results.
    As you rightly point out doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results isn't a sign of someone willing to learn.
  • Options

Good morning

Denmark has a weak defence (and of course is missing Christian Eriksen, hence the sympathy vote). Wales has Gareth Bale, though admittedly so far he has been very much the Harry Kane of the Valleys. Denmark are favourites but I've had the tiniest of tiny wagers on Wales to qualify and Wales to win in 90 minutes.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    DavidL said:

I just ask out of boredom on this too hot and noisy night but is the Minister and his civil servants in some sort of a bubble? I am sure that at the least they are tested regularly. Was close contact with a member of staff a wrong in the COVID sense?

Our puriant obsession with the love life of our politicians is actually pretty pathetic. I feel sorry for his wife. And her husband. I think less of him. Shame is evidently a concept known only to these coy aliens. But I really struggle to give a shit.

That's basically how I see it.

Not sure if the bubble thing is relevant in a workplace; does this carry forward to when staff are outside of the work premises? Not sure, and I suspect the rules are not clear either.

Private lives are irrelevant to me. I reserve my disapproval to the person who took a photo without permission and, presumably, sold it to a newspaper. Is this what happened? Is this legal?

However this looks to me to be worse than the Cummings' case. If, that is, with Hancock rules have been clearly broken rather than it being solely a matter of interpretation.

I've said before that the fact that the rules were put into law was a mistake because it leads to this sort of situation. The aim was always to reduce social contact not eradicate it with legal enforcement like an authoritarian regime. But we are where we are and I (who never really knew what the rules were one week to the next like many people) want to know what specific legally-underwritten rules he actually broke.

However, could Hancock lead a Covid briefing now? Probably not, and when all said and done this is the reason that he should be considering his position and why Johnson should act.
  • Options
    "Apparently, Mr Hancock was happy to run the risk of giving “this lethal virus” to his poor family, even though such behaviour was strictly prohibited under his own regulations."

Telegraph
  • Options

Good morning

Oh give over. "I was forced to vote for a party I know to be corrupt lying and degenerate because the other parties made me do it" is not a moral high ground.

Mancock broke the Covid rules and probably laws. So what? Did Cummings resign?
    Mancock broke the ministerial code (again). So what? Did Mancock or Patel or Johnson resign?
    Mancock breached the trust of his colleagues by being a duplicitous lying shit. So what? His boss endlessly lies and cheats, and his colleague the Secretary of State for the Home Department bullied her colleagues and did either of them resign?

Whats more, do you call for their resignations? Would you like to do so now? If breaking the law is bad then Johnson must resign. If breaking the code is bad then Mancock and Johnson and Patel all must resign. Wasting public money on your bit of stuff in office - Johnson and Arcuri. Lying and cheating.

You have backed every single one of these people on every single occasion when they have done a Mancock including himself in the past! Nor are you doing this as a damascene conversion to ethics and probity as you've just said you'll be voting Tory even if they all stay!

Hypocricy? "Moral High Ground"?

Please
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Certainly more so than the traditional approach of helping by throwing her stuff out of an upstairs window?
    Billy Corkhill did donuts of rage around the lawns of Brookside Close in a Nissan Sunny when Doreen shagged her boss.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,362

Good morning

It does seem pure hypocrisy for any labour supporter to criticise conservatives for objecting to Hancock's behaviour, while they allowed Corbyn to destroy their party but still retained their support for it

And as I have said neither labour or the lib dens have an acceptable alternative offer
    Perhaps, though my position is more of a UK Equivalent of the Lincoln Project- Conservative by instinct, have tramped the streets for them, but simply can't support this iteration of the party.

And no party ever has been perfect. But unless you are prepared to draw a line somewhere and say "even the other lot would be better than this", you are handing Boris a moral blank cheque. And it's clear what he will continue to do with it.

Real life is often about how we manage hypocrisies, because the choices on offer are often all imperfect. We still have a responsibility to choose the least bad.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Billy Corkhill did donuts of rage around the lawns of Brookside Close in a Nissan Sunny when Doreen shagged her boss.
    The depth of your knowledge astounds me.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Why musicians and cyclists and not others?

Our government wanted to end FoM and this is part of it. Tough on the cyclists who didn't vote for it, but that is Brexit.
    It is vexing, especially as our government has proven so competent on every other part of Brexit. On the positive side, it will make betting on Sports Personality of the Year a bit easier.
  • Options
    I cannot understand why there is even debate on this.

Hancock has broken the law and yet is still a senior government minister.

Extraordinary. As others have said this government is increasingly morally bankrupt.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    IanB2 said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

It may well be that she is going away so as to keep the press off their backs and protect their children, but that does look like more than a couple of suitcases.

Sad, but such are the consequences of adultery.
This discussion has been closed.