Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What were punters thinking when they bet on the Tories in Chesham at 1/20 – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,341
    rcs1000 said:

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting report from the ground in C&A:

"If Peter Fleet’s campaign slogan had been “HS2, Where`s my Pitchfork?”, he would probably have won handily. Instead he followed the party line."

https://capx.co/chesham-amersham-ignore-the-pundit-babble-and-focus-on-facts/

We need to build rail capacity, and we need to build a million or two more houses.

If those decisions cost a few seats in certain areas then so be it, they’re still the right decisions and are electorally popular elsewhere.

The Lib Dem’s can’t call the Tories populist, while they remain in favour of increased immigration but limited building of houses and infrastructure.
    But only the Conservatives are in favour of handing all decisions about planning and development over to the large house-building companies.

When I say "Conservatives" in this context, I mean the Johnson-Conservatives, not the traditional decent ones, who now vote Lib Dem.
    I am a traditional decent conservative but would never vote lib dem
    So you support handing planning decisions over to the big builders, eh? - leaving local people with no say about the amount of development that takes place? And leaving them to pay all the costs of new infrastructure that the incomers are going to need?
    I do not support NIMBY
    Yes you do.

If Shell announced plans to build a giant refinery in your constituency, which would dramatically worsen traffic and increase pollution, you'd fight for it to be built elsewhere.
    There is always an extreme but homes are needed across the country and local stopping them is wrong
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    isam said:

Shocked to hear Bercow has joined the labour party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/19/john-bercow-defects-to-labour-with-withering-attack-on-johnson

“I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand,” he said. “The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced. The reality is that the Labour party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective. There is no other credible option.”
    And I want my place in the House of Lords and Keir will give me that
    How very spiteful.

People's political views change. Maybe Brecow's story is extreme, but it's not unique.
    Parties also change. The Conservatives of 2021 aren't the Conservatives of even 2017, let alone 2010.
    If Brecow is of the view that Johnson is a wrongun and that joining Labour is the best way to oppose that, best of luck to him.

It's showing a damn sight more integrity than those who knew Johnson shouldn't be let near the levers of power, but acquiesced in his victory and now sing his praises.
    Monday Club to Labour Party. Nah!
    Wonder if he'll give an exclusive to GB News and AF Neil?!

It was surprisingly cruel of This Week to keep taking the piss out of Bercow's height as they did, playing out to "Big John" over footage of him. You dont see things like that much nowadays
    Nah, it was done in the right spirit, just watch Andrew Neil's reaction to the attempted coup before the 2015 election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqG2rhZhFrE
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Just a few people queuing for a jab...look at the picture at top of page

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-57536890

Given that we keep reading about these events at weekends, which then often seem to be offering relatively few doses to the extent that demand far far exceeds supply, one wonders if the point of them is actually the maximise vaccine distribution, or as much to create the stories of "long queues, many disappointed". The theory being is that the more the message is that the jab is this season's "must have" amongst the young the more likely it is that high take up will be generated (and via the intended distribution route of booking through the website etc). Because these "football ground" events are still a relatively small number of the overall vaccines distributed.
    Now that they’re open to anyone over 18, they need to change the marketing tactics. The younger groups aren’t worried about dying of covid, and need incentives to get vaccinated. They never go to their GP anyway, so encouraging queues (and making young people think of necessity and scarcity) might be the best way to go.
    The Scottish Government is running TV ads about how it wants everyone, double jabbed or not, to take twice weekly covid tests to see if they're asymptomatic even if feeling fine.

As a general vaccine marketing tactic for anyone, let alone younger people, this seems...questionable.
    That is the policy in England too.
    Is it? How come nobody is even aware of it then? Who is actually doing this?
    We are all encouraged to perform two lateral flow tests each week. Ever since the tests became available for everyone to pick up from Boots or request on line. I sent for a set, and used three after 'exposing myself'.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

Andy_JS said:

The percentage of LD MPs who are women has increased from 64% to 67% with the C&A by-election result.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/mps

What definition of women is being used?
    Vagina not necessary.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Given that we keep reading about these events at weekends, which then often seem to be offering relatively few doses to the extent that demand far far exceeds supply, one wonders if the point of them is actually the maximise vaccine distribution, or as much to create the stories of "long queues, many disappointed". The theory being is that the more the message is that the jab is this season's "must have" amongst the young the more likely it is that high take up will be generated (and via the intended distribution route of booking through the website etc). Because these "football ground" events are still a relatively small number of the overall vaccines distributed.
    Now that they’re open to anyone over 18, they need to change the marketing tactics. The younger groups aren’t worried about dying of covid, and need incentives to get vaccinated. They never go to their GP anyway, so encouraging queues (and making young people think of necessity and scarcity) might be the best way to go.
    The Scottish Government is running TV ads about how it wants everyone, double jabbed or not, to take twice weekly covid tests to see if they're asymptomatic even if feeling fine.

As a general vaccine marketing tactic for anyone, let alone younger people, this seems...questionable.
    We are all encouraged to perform two lateral flow tests each week. Ever since the tests became available for everyone to pick up from Boots or request on line. I sent for a set, and used three after 'exposing myself'.
    Really? I had no idea that was part of the criteria!

As I stay safely covered up, does that mean I don’t have to do the fecking things any more?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,341
    edited June 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/19/john-bercow-defects-to-labour-with-withering-attack-on-johnson

“I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand,” he said. “The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced. The reality is that the Labour party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective. There is no other credible option.”
    How very spiteful.

People's political views change. Maybe Brecow's story is extreme, but it's not unique.
    Parties also change. The Conservatives of 2021 aren't the Conservatives of even 2017, let alone 2010.
    If Brecow is of the view that Johnson is a wrongun and that joining Labour is the best way to oppose that, best of luck to him.

It's showing a damn sight more integrity than those who knew Johnson shouldn't be let near the levers of power, but acquiesced in his victory and now sing his praises.
    My comment was very true though
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525
    ydoethur said:

How very spiteful.

I believe however that he is the first former speaker to join a political party since Manners Sutton in the 1830s.
    Fair enough- the sensible thing to do with a expired Speaker is to kick 'em upstairs as a crossbencher- elevation and castration in one elegant move. If they have been uncongenial, that goes doubly so. But Boris and co had one of their petulant fits...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Nunu3 said:

Andy_JS said:

The percentage of LD MPs who are women has increased from 64% to 67% with the C&A by-election result.

Still no ethnic minorities tho?

They really are the party of the guilt ridden upper middle class elite
    Two, Layla Moran is Palestinian dual heritage.

Munira Wilson is East African Asian origin.

In addition Wera Hobhouse is originally German, not sure if that counts for you.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    edited June 2021

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

I suspect that the majority of the population is entirely unaware it’s supposed be testing twice a week.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Just picked up the thread. Collected our second box of tests from the local pharmacy this morning. We’ve got a visitor tomorrow, from out of our district, so we’ll do a test before he comes.
    I have to pass a temperature check every time I go to the gym…. normally once or twice a week.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Genius.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

Not that surprising given his wife's affiliation. Never liked him never trusted him...candidate he was elected as a Conservative.. He has reached his final destiny, full pariah status.
  • Options

Just picked up the thread. Collected our second box of tests from the local pharmacy this morning. We’ve got a visitor tomorrow, from out of our district, so we’ll do a test before he comes.
    I have to pass a temperature check every time I go to the gym…. normally once or twice a week.

We have stopped doing temperatures, as it has been shown to be ineffective.

Foxjr2 was exposed to a contact the other day, and has found a use for his box of LFT in testing himself and his flatmate. Negative so far.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I'm sure the Tories will drown their sorrows... with champagne :smiley:
    FOYB just about covers it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    This thread has defected.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    If Bercow wanted to help Labour he would have joined another party.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

How very spiteful.

Heaven has a place for a sinner who truly repents.
    And lying, sanctimonious barstewards?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Not just Boots; the vast majority of pharmacies have them, I believe.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

How very spiteful.

Heaven has a place for a sinner who truly repents.
    And lying, sanctimonious barstewards?
    As long as they repent.

Not much space for Pharisees as I recall.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Is there any speculation on whether either mRna or Azn give any sort of protection against common cold coronaviruses? That would be rad given the high uptake in the UK.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Made my first visit to Batley and Spen today. No comments on the result but a couple of observations. Kirklees has a local by-law that allows candidates to affix posters to local authority lamp posts. The Labour and George Galloway posters concentrate on the name of the candidate, the Lib Dem is candidate plus the bird of liberty, and the Conservative is a mess of messages plus small candidates name. Will send a pic if I can. The Lib Dem campaign HQ is in a church ( or rather parish hall). In olden days they used to use Methodist Halls. Sign of the times?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

There's been TV adverts about it. It's a box of 7 lateral flow tests that you can get for free from pharmacies or delivered to your door. I've had two boxes and usually take one of the tests if I'm going to meet people. I know a few others amongst my friends who do too.
    I have never seen a single advert about this, and have met anyone who tests themselves twice a week. Maybe I’m unusual. Dunno.
    Mrs Fairliered and I have been testing ourselves twice a week for the past 2 months. It was prompted by touring the Scottish Highlands and not wanting ti export the plague from the West of Scotland. However, since we left home, our local area, which has had no cases for seven weeks, is now a blackspot thanks to an outbreak at the local secondary school. Herod was unfairly maligned.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Nunu3 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes there is - the Twickenham MP
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Scott_xP said:
    Sorry defects is the wrong description "finally admits his allegiance" would be more on point
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Sorry defects is the wrong description "finally admits his allegiance" would be more on point
    Question - when Speakers give up the whip do they actually give up formal party membership too? As if that is the case then presumably Bercow defected from Independent, which he would have been since 2009 unless he rejoined the Tories after his term as Speaker ended.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Question - when Speakers give up the whip do they actually give up formal party membership too? As if that is the case then presumably Bercow defected from Independent, which he would have been since 2009 unless he rejoined the Tories after his term as Speaker ended.
    All the time he was speaker we got "but he cant be he is a tory" so in most minds no regardless of what the system says
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

How very spiteful.

If we are in the middle of a major political realignment, the remarkable thing is that more politicians haven’t jumped sides. It doesn’t make any sense that only voters are reassessing where they stand.

Yet defections were much more common in the last century than now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited June 2021
    IanB2 said:

How very spiteful.

If we are in the middle of a major political realignment, the remarkable thing is that more politicians haven’t jumped sides. It doesn’t make any sense that only voters are reassessing where they stand.

Yet defections were much more common in the last century than now.
    It was, frankly, astonishing, how well the party's held up particularly during the Brexit crisis and given how parties have changed over the years.

Sadly, those who eventually did bravely leave or were kicked out were not rewarded for it, and so the grip of the parties even when people don't really fit anymore is stronger than ever. The more ridiculous it gets the more people will talk about the need to be 'big tent' to justify it.

Except at local level.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Nunu3 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes there is - the Twickenham MP
    And Layla Moran.
This discussion has been closed.