Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What were punters thinking when they bet on the Tories in Chesham at 1/20 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,689

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting report from the ground in C&A:

"If Peter Fleet’s campaign slogan had been “HS2, Where`s my Pitchfork?”, he would probably have won handily. Instead he followed the party line."

https://capx.co/chesham-amersham-ignore-the-pundit-babble-and-focus-on-facts/

We need to build rail capacity, and we need to build a million or two more houses.

If those decisions cost a few seats in certain areas then so be it, they’re still the right decisions and are electorally popular elsewhere.

The Lib Dem’s can’t call the Tories populist, while they remain in favour of increased immigration but limited building of houses and infrastructure.
    But only the Conservatives are in favour of handing all decisions about planning and development over to the large house-building companies.

When I say "Conservatives" in this context, I mean the Johnson-Conservatives, not the traditional decent ones, who now vote Lib Dem.
    I am a traditional decent conservative but would never vote lib dem
    So you support handing planning decisions over to the big builders, eh? - leaving local people with no say about the amount of development that takes place? And leaving them to pay all the costs of new infrastructure that the incomers are going to need?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,263
    ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

"If Peter Fleet’s campaign slogan had been “HS2, Where`s my Pitchfork?”, he would probably have won handily. Instead he followed the party line."

We need to build rail capacity, and we need to build a million or two more houses.

If those decisions cost a few seats in certain areas then so be it, they’re still the right decisions and are electorally popular elsewhere.

The Lib Dem’s can’t call the Tories populist, while they remain in favour of increased immigration but limited building of houses and infrastructure.
    But only the Conservatives are in favour of handing all decisions about planning and development over to the large house-building companies.

When I say "Conservatives" in this context, I mean the Johnson-Conservatives, not the traditional decent ones, who now vote Lib Dem.
    So you support handing planning decisions over to the big builders, eh? - leaving local people with no say about the amount of development that takes place? And leaving them to pay all the costs of new infrastructure that the incomers are going to need?
    Dear God, the sort of nonsense you get on Twitter

If you don’t agree with x you automatically support y.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Just a few people queuing for a jab...look at the picture at top of page

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-57536890

Given that we keep reading about these events at weekends, which then often seem to be offering relatively few doses to the extent that demand far far exceeds supply, one wonders if the point of them is actually the maximise vaccine distribution, or as much to create the stories of "long queues, many disappointed". The theory being is that the more the message is that the jab is this season's "must have" amongst the young the more likely it is that high take up will be generated (and via the intended distribution route of booking through the website etc). Because these "football ground" events are still a relatively small number of the overall vaccines distributed.
    Now that they’re open to anyone over 18, they need to change the marketing tactics. The younger groups aren’t worried about dying of covid, and need incentives to get vaccinated. They never go to their GP anyway, so encouraging queues (and making young people think of necessity and scarcity) might be the best way to go.
    The Scottish Government is running TV ads about how it wants everyone, double jabbed or not, to take twice weekly covid tests to see if they're asymptomatic even if feeling fine.

As a general vaccine marketing tactic for anyone, let alone younger people, this seems...questionable.
    That is the policy in England too.
    Is it? How come nobody is even aware of it then? Who is actually doing this?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Test
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited June 2021

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Given that we keep reading about these events at weekends, which then often seem to be offering relatively few doses to the extent that demand far far exceeds supply, one wonders if the point of them is actually the maximise vaccine distribution, or as much to create the stories of "long queues, many disappointed". The theory being is that the more the message is that the jab is this season's "must have" amongst the young the more likely it is that high take up will be generated (and via the intended distribution route of booking through the website etc). Because these "football ground" events are still a relatively small number of the overall vaccines distributed.
    Now that they’re open to anyone over 18, they need to change the marketing tactics. The younger groups aren’t worried about dying of covid, and need incentives to get vaccinated. They never go to their GP anyway, so encouraging queues (and making young people think of necessity and scarcity) might be the best way to go.
    The Scottish Government is running TV ads about how it wants everyone, double jabbed or not, to take twice weekly covid tests to see if they're asymptomatic even if feeling fine.

As a general vaccine marketing tactic for anyone, let alone younger people, this seems...questionable.
    There's been TV adverts about it. It's a box of 7 lateral flow tests that you can get for free from pharmacies or delivered to your door. I've had two boxes and usually take one of the tests if I'm going to meet people. I know a few others amongst my friends who do too.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund
    ·
    50m
    EXC: Keir Starmer has removed his top aide Morgan McSweeney as chief of staff.

Starmer has asked him to "take a more strategic role" ahead of the next general election. Dates/details of new post TBC.

Biggest casualty in overhaul of Labour's top team yet
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Taz said:

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

I was thinking earlier that clippP could be enough on his own to put me off Lib dems - However there are more reasonable Lib Dems out there
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Taz said:

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

They will build the infrastructure and maybe a new school and doctors surgery but without doctors and teachers to run them.. sounds great, reality v different

The Lib Dems would be worse than the tories. I voted LD because of Brexit and as a protest against The Tories but I will not vote LD again, not that it matters in.my constituency. .
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund
    ·
    50m

Starmer has asked him to "take a more strategic role" ahead of the next general election. Dates/details of new post TBC.

Is this in addition to the 2 that bailed yesterday?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Why not?
    An honest answer is that while I thought the coalition was a good government, the lib dems reneged on tuition fees, but of recent times the way they have done everything to stop brexit, and would follow a far more pro eu stance than I could support, I could not vote lib dem

I voted remain and I did not vote for Boris in the leadership ballot, but I respect the result of the referendum and could not acceed to rejoining the EU, indeed as it turns out I am quite content with brexit
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131

ping said:

Shellacking for Portugal

4-1 Germany

Germany to lift the cup?

They'll have to get past England first...
    Let's hope the Germans are susceptible to being bored to death...
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

There's been TV adverts about it. It's a box of 7 lateral flow tests that you can get for free from pharmacies or delivered to your door. I've had two boxes and usually take one of the tests if I'm going to meet people. I know a few others amongst my friends who do too.
    I have never seen a single advert about this, and have met anyone who tests themselves twice a week. Maybe I’m unusual. Dunno.
  • Options
    If the government is advocating regular LFTs, as PB claims, why can’t it use them to liberate weddings? Instead it’s banned dancing and insists that bridesmaids wear masks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

I have never seen a single advert about this, and have met anyone who tests themselves twice a week. Maybe I’m unusual. Dunno.
    I've seen adverts but i don't know anyone who does it. I don't know people with school age kids anymore so that might explain it partially. Some people I have mentioned it to have said they have heard the LFT are useless - false positives a lot of the time. iirc that is a bit out of date but people still think it. Although the FDA have said they are useless - so who the feck knows any more.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,505

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

If you have children, you build play castles out of lateral flow test boxes.... We get given them all the time.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,263
    Floater said:

Taz said:

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

I was thinking earlier that clippP could be enough on his own to put me off Lib dems - However there are more reasonable Lib Dems out there
    Yeah, there are sensible ones and then there are the ‘piss diamonds’ on Twitter.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

I do not support NIMBY
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Did my first test this week. Went in to London to see a company where it was their first in-person meeting for 15 months. So they apologised for being a bit OTT, knowing the three attendees from or side were all double jabbed plus more then two weeks. But seeing our negative tests meant they were entirely relaxed throughout the couple of hours we were there, so what the hell.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

I've seen adverts but i don't know anyone who does it. I don't know people with school age kids anymore so that might explain it partially. Some people I have mentioned it to have said they have heard the LFT are useless - false positives a lot of the time. iirc that is a bit out of date but people still think it. Although the FDA have said they are useless - so who the feck knows any more.
    I have a school age son and as far as I know he has never been tested and nor have any of his schoolmates.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    My youngest used to have LFT twice a week for school. After Easter he stopped bringing them home.
    So I assumed this had been discontinued.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Did my first test this week. Went in to London to see a company where it was their first in-person meeting for 15 months. So they apologised for being a bit OTT, knowing the three attendees from or side were all double jabbed plus more then two weeks. But seeing our negative tests meant they were entirely relaxed throughout the couple of hours we were there, so what the hell.
    I had a temperature check in a restaurant yesterday, otherwise I have never been tested at all.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

If you have children, you build play castles out of lateral flow test boxes.... We get given them all the time.
    Not here. We have never received a single one from the school.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

They are more prone to false positives than PCR. This is known. The idea is that if you get a positive, get a PCR test to check.

Quite a bit of medical establishment, round the world, has a massive problem with the idea of cheap mass screening, with less than perfect tests. Part of it is a cultural problem - all proper tests must be done in a laboratory, by someone in a white coat... part is a lack of understanding of the statistical basis for using a quick but inaccurate test.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    Phil said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Why can't I watch the football in 4k or even full HD on via iPlayer on my PC....not acceptable in 2021.

Buy some better equipment?
    I have a very expensive telly, but i am working and high quality monitors and its ridiculous that iplayer only.pumps out 720p to pc.
    They’re downgrading computer streams, to stop people uploading pirate HD feeds?

Or, paying the hosting fees for a couple of million 4k streams is too expensive?
    Presumably it's fairly trivial to work out the headers smart TVs send to the BBC, so as to get the 4k stream directly, so (like most anti piracy measures) it'll inconvenience legitimate users while not actually guarding against piracy at all.
    Licencing deals may require that streams greater than 720p only go via DRMed channels. Not impossible to crack, but not as simple as “send the right cookies, get 4k data back in the clear”.
    I don't think thats the case here, iplayer is all drmed and the only way to watch the games in 4k is via iplayer. But they are restricting to internet streams to certain devices, because only newish tvs have the non-standard version of HDR they use.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Not here. We have never received a single one from the school.
    Interesting - mind you, our schools seem to be proactive and generally trying to do stuff.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited June 2021

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

I have a school age son and as far as I know he has never been tested and nor have any of his schoolmates.
    How old?

Edit - if he’s not 2ndary school age, it’s not surprising. If he is, then that tells me he’s not bringing his testing kit home having decided he doesn’t want to do it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

How old?
    He’s at primary school
  • Options

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund
    ·
    50m

3 people in 2 days....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

How old?
    He’s at primary school
    If he were at secondary school, as explained in my edit above, it would be different.

But as I also said, I’m not sure how many children are doing them. Unpleasant process and of very little practical value.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Yes.

Not to the big builders though, but to anyone that builds, yes absolutely.

You supporting the Liberal Democrats have presumably been in favour of rampant immigration leading to a more than 10 million increase in population. If you increase population you need more houses and existing residents have no ethical right to tell new residents that they're not entitled to a home.

If you have a better idea of where they can live instead, without saying brownfield, I'd love to hear it.

Karmas a bitch. New houses being needed is the quid pro quo of getting increased population.
  • Options
    Shocked to hear Bercow has joined the labour party.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

How old?
    He’s at primary school
    If he were at secondary school, as explained in my edit above, it would be different.

But as I also said, I’m not sure how many children are doing them. Unpleasant process and of very little practical value.
    If you aren’t sick, you get a positive test, you have to isolate for a fortnight along with everyone else in your year group even though there’s nothing wrong with you. Is that right? So one can see why there is a disincentive to get tested.
  • Options
    England PCR positivity

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    Age related data scaled to 100k per age group

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,314

One hit and one miss.

The article’s right that parachuting in Fleet, however capable an MP he might have made, rather than choosing a candidate with local roots was a mistake that allowed the notion that the Tories were taking one of its safest seats for granted to gain credibility.

The HS2 point is however a red herring. Fleet’s leaflets were anti HS2. As was the late MP, the LibDem candidate, the local Tory councillors, LibDem councillors, and a large majority of the residents. It’s just the way things are round there - unsurprisingly, given that a railway line is being cut through the area that won’t benefit them at all.

If Sarah managed to capture the mantle of more vigorous champion for locals’ concerns, that’s to her credit, in a field when every candidate was anti HS2. Many voters look for the most effective local champion as their MP.

HS2 is surely a done deal now, anyway.

And 17% of LibDem MPs are now called Sarah.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

They are more prone to false positives than PCR. This is known. The idea is that if you get a positive, get a PCR test to check.

Quite a bit of medical establishment, round the world, has a massive problem with the idea of cheap mass screening, with less than perfect tests. Part of it is a cultural problem - all proper tests must be done in a laboratory, by someone in a white coat... part is a lack of understanding of the statistical basis for using a quick but inaccurate test.

Yep, LFTs on their own are a bad idea, but for screening they are a good idea. We could probably make good use of even cheaper less sensitive tests to catch more cases.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Vaccinations

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/19/john-bercow-defects-to-labour-with-withering-attack-on-johnson

“I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand,” he said. “The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced. The reality is that the Labour party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective. There is no other credible option.”
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

One hit and one miss.

The article’s right that parachuting in Fleet, however capable an MP he might have made, rather than choosing a candidate with local roots was a mistake that allowed the notion that the Tories were taking one of its safest seats for granted to gain credibility.

The HS2 point is however a red herring. Fleet’s leaflets were anti HS2. As was the late MP, the LibDem candidate, the local Tory councillors, LibDem councillors, and a large majority of the residents. It’s just the way things are round there - unsurprisingly, given that a railway line is being cut through the area that won’t benefit them at all.

If Sarah managed to capture the mantle of more vigorous champion for locals’ concerns, that’s to her credit, in a field when every candidate was anti HS2. Many voters look for the most effective local champion as their MP.

MP Sarah's main achievement will probably be to ensure that all the spoil heaps from HS2 excavation for the track up to Birmingham are dumped in her constituency....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,314

Vaccinations

The promised May-June surge never happened at all, did it?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,785
    The percentage of LD MPs who are women has increased from 64% to 67% with the C&A by-election result.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/mps
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957
    edited June 2021

In 2014 or 2015 I posted on here that the should be a realignment of the parties, as things had changed so much - it would be nice to find it

It was something along the lines of

Conservatives - a mix of rich, landed gentry Eton types and working class
    UKIP - WWC ex Labour
    Labour - Middle class graduates
    Lib Dems - Cameroons

That sounds too accurate to be true.. but it was something like that I think, and it has happened

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    glw said:

Yep, LFTs on their own are a bad idea, but for screening they are a good idea. We could probably make good use of even cheaper less sensitive tests to catch more cases.
    Tim Spector of ZOE said one time that if you test positive on an LFT you should simply take a second. You are very unlikely to get two false positives.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862

IanB2 said:

One hit and one miss.

MP Sarah's main achievement will probably be to ensure that all the spoil heaps from HS2 excavation for the track up to Birmingham are dumped in her constituency....
    Are you suggesting that the government that you slavishly support is maliciously spiteful?
  • Options
    PoodleInASlipstreamPoodleInASlipstream Posts: 178
    edited June 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm sure the Tories will drown their sorrows... with champagne :smiley:
  • Options

glw said:

Tim Spector of ZOE said one time that if you test positive on an LFT you should simply take a second. You are very unlikely to get two false positives.
    I think that is probably broadly correct, but there's little harm in going straight to the PCR.

I think ideally we'd have an ultra-cheap and fast test for daily use, if you get a positive do an LFT, if that is positive do the PCR. I've read about very cheap and fast tests but as yet they don't seem to have achieved much adoption anywhere, this is possibly because they are considered too insensitive by the medical profession, but as a bottom tier for mass screening they may make sense.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

If the government is advocating regular LFTs, as PB claims, why can’t it use them to liberate weddings? Instead it’s banned dancing and insists that bridesmaids wear masks.

I'm in favour of maintaining the mask rules for wedding in perpetuity. But I'm kinky.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/19/john-bercow-defects-to-labour-with-withering-attack-on-johnson

“I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand,” he said. “The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced. The reality is that the Labour party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective. There is no other credible option.”
    And I want my place in the House of Lords and Keir will give me that
  • Options

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

I do not support NIMBY
    Yes you do.

If Shell announced plans to build a giant refinery in your constituency, which would dramatically worsen traffic and increase pollution, you'd fight for it to be built elsewhere.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I'm sure the Tories will drown their sorrows... with champagne :smiley:
    He's confirming that what Tories have said about him all along was correct.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes: if vaccines had not arrived, mass lateral flow tests implemented properly could have done an incredible job of controlling the virus without the need for draconian measures.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409
    Schools beginning to be disrupted again in this part of North Yorkshire… anecdotally but maybe unsurprisingly Delta variant spreading more readily knocking out pupils and younger staff. Will be a real shame if another year 6 gets a disrupted run up to their transition to senior school.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The percentage of LD MPs who are women has increased from 64% to 67% with the C&A by-election result.

I'm old enough to remember when the LDs had no female MPs.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Why not?
    An honest answer is that while I thought the coalition was a good government, the lib dems reneged on tuition fees, but of recent times the way they have done everything to stop brexit, and would follow a far more pro eu stance than I could support, I could not vote lib dem

I voted remain and I did not vote for Boris in the leadership ballot, but I respect the result of the referendum and could not acceed to rejoining the EU, indeed as it turns out I am quite content with brexit
    So you support the Tories who forced tuition fees on the Lib Dems instead. Some twisted logic there!

Incidentally it is not LD policy to Rejoin. So wrong again.

Lib Dems do not object to house building, just want it controlled by elected local councillors rather than developers who coincidentally make large donations to the Conservative Party.

It is not NIMBYism, it is about local accountability.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Get with the times...
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 793
    Can we not just stop the widespread testing of children? All it is doing is disrupting their education further for little benefit.

It'd be outrageous if it is still in place in September after every willing adult has been fully vaccinated.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Why not?

So you support the Tories who forced tuition fees on the Lib Dems instead. Some twisted logic there!

Lib Dems do not object to house building, just want it controlled by elected local councillors rather than developers who coincidentally make large donations to the Conservative Party.

Local accountability is NIMBYism.

Lib Dems supported for years open borders which has led to millions of people coming to this country with locals not getting a say on that. Those locals need a place to live and as they grow up, get married and have families they need houses to live in not flats in a city.

Unless you want locals to say people can't come to live somewhere, why should locals be allowed a say in what is constructed? Its hypocritical, if you allow people to come to live here they are right to expect somewhere to live.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Why can't I watch the football in 4k or even full HD on via iPlayer on my PC....not acceptable in 2021.

Buy some better equipment?
    I have a very expensive telly, but i am working and high quality monitors and its ridiculous that iplayer only.pumps out 720p to pc.
    They’re downgrading computer streams, to stop people uploading pirate HD feeds?

Or, paying the hosting fees for a couple of million 4k streams is too expensive?
    Presumably it's fairly trivial to work out the headers smart TVs send to the BBC, so as to get the 4k stream directly, so (like most anti piracy measures) it'll inconvenience legitimate users while not actually guarding against piracy at all.
    Licencing deals may require that streams greater than 720p only go via DRMed channels. Not impossible to crack, but not as simple as “send the right cookies, get 4k data back in the clear”.
    Fair point.

Of course, given the requirement of backward compatibility, all those DRM-ed streams are using DRM from about a decade ago, and which was cracked before my son was born.
    You’ve been too busy since to update your hacking skills?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes: if vaccines had not arrived, mass lateral flow tests implemented properly could have done an incredible job of controlling the virus without the need for draconian measures.
    The problem with LFT tests is more that their false positive/false negative figures are based on testing of symptomatic subjects, rather than asymptomatic subjects, which is how we are being asked to use them.

• Options

That desperate for a peerage? The times I met him he made my flesh crawl.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,375
    IanB2 said:

Vaccinations

The promised May-June surge never happened at all, did it?
    If you were to add on the Novavax doses that were expected to be approved and manufactured, then it would have,

I wonder if Pfizer can be persuaded to provide consultancy services for running vaccine trials and scaling up vaccine production to other companies?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,583
    isam said:

In 2014 or 2015 I posted on here that the should be a realignment of the parties, as things had changed so much - it would be nice to find it

UKIP - WWC ex Labour
    Lib Dems - Cameroons

That sounds too accurate to be true.. but it was something like that I think, and it has happened

Not quite. Ukip are now irrelevant. The LD vote is opportunist (see C&A) and mostly in the south, with lots of well off Nimbys. Labour support is in detached enclaves of urban, posh, intellectual, poor, woke and Bame with no common agenda. Only the Tories have a coherent spectrum of support among the aspirational middling sort. (The number of 'landed gentry Eton types' is minutely small).

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Andy_JS said:

What definition of women is being used?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

I do not support NIMBY
    Yes you do.

If Shell announced plans to build a giant refinery in your constituency, which would dramatically worsen traffic and increase pollution, you'd fight for it to be built elsewhere.
    I would fight for it. The more jobs and prosperity the better.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Get with the times...
    That was less than five years ago ...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,785
  • Options

Schools beginning to be disrupted again in this part of North Yorkshire… anecdotally but maybe unsurprisingly Delta variant spreading more readily knocking out pupils and younger staff. Will be a real shame if another year 6 gets a disrupted run up to their transition to senior school.

Is the virus knocking them out, or is the government knocking them out, by forcing them to stay at home for a fortnight when there’s nothing wrong with them?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

I had a temperature check in a restaurant yesterday, otherwise I have never been tested at all.
    Only place I've been where I needed any sort of COVID test during the pandemic, was a temperature check whenever I went down to King Co Elections to observe last Fall; was (and I think still is) mandatory for anyone entering the building.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Why not?

Lib Dems supported for years open borders which has led to millions of people coming to this country with locals not getting a say on that. Those locals need a place to live and as they grow up, get married and have families they need houses to live in not flats in a city.

Unless you want locals to say people can't come to live somewhere, why should locals be allowed a say in what is constructed? Its hypocritical, if you allow people to come to live here they are right to expect somewhere to live.
    That is complete bollocks.

Yes immigration requires infrastructure alongside its benefits, including housing. That doesn't mean that people accountable locally should not get a say in where the houses are built. In my parish the LD councillors objected to one building site, while supporting a larger one, better located to roads etc. This was endorsed in the village plan plebiscite and hundreds of new houses are under construction there with local support. We all want to keep our village school, shops, bus service, sports teams viable, just want a say in where they are built. After all we are the ones that have to adapt to it.
  • Options
    I wonder how many people deliberately don't see any hypocrisy between believing in "free movement" and "local accountability".

The two are mutually incompatible.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525
    edited June 2021

How very spiteful.

People's political views change. Maybe Brecow's story is extreme, but it's not unique.
    Parties also change. The Conservatives of 2021 aren't the Conservatives of even 2017, let alone 2010.
    If Brecow is of the view that Johnson is a wrongun and that joining Labour is the best way to oppose that, best of luck to him.

It's showing a damn sight more integrity than those who knew Johnson shouldn't be let near the levers of power, but acquiesced in his victory and now sing his praises.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Can we not just stop the widespread testing of children? All it is doing is disrupting their education further for little benefit.

It'd be outrageous if it is still in place in September after every willing adult has been fully vaccinated.

Several friends have had children off school for lengthy periods, and forced to quarantine, despite the fact none of them are sick.
  • Options

I wonder how many people deliberately don't see any hypocrisy between believing in "free movement" and "local accountability".

The two are mutually incompatible.

No they are not.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

isam said:

UKIP - WWC ex Labour
    Lib Dems - Cameroons

Not quite. Ukip are now irrelevant. The LD vote is opportunist (see C&A) and mostly in the south, with lots of well off Nimbys. Labour support is in detached enclaves of urban, posh, intellectual, poor, woke and Bame with no common agenda. Only the Tories have a coherent spectrum of support among the aspirational middling sort. (The number of 'landed gentry Eton types' is minutely small).

Well I said it 2014/15 when UKIP were relevant! They have kind of merged into the new Tories
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

Foxy said:

ClippP said:

Sandpit said:

Why not?

The servants should live out of eyesight. Vote Waitrose.
  • Options
    Shop not far from me just been found selling copies of the S*n under the counter. That shop will never open again under present ownership.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,952
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

The problem with LFT tests is more that their false positive/false negative figures are based on testing of symptomatic subjects, rather than asymptomatic subjects, which is how we are being asked to use them.

Aren't all +ve lfts backed up with a pcr ?
  • Options

How very spiteful.

People's political views change. Maybe Brecow's story is extreme, but it's not unique.
    Parties also change. The Conservatives of 2021 aren't the Conservatives of even 2017, let alone 2010.
    If Brecow is of the view that Johnson is a wrongun and that joining Labour is the best way to oppose that, best of luck to him.

It's showing a damn sight more integrity than those who knew Johnson shouldn't be let near the levers of power, but acquiesced in his victory and now sing his praises.
    Monday Club to Labour Party. Nah!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Interesting to see @Philip_Thompson is effectively willing to get rid of local government in aid of “the market”.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Is the virus knocking them out, or is the government knocking them out, by forcing them to stay at home for a fortnight when there’s nothing wrong with them?
    The DfE has been ordering schools to ignore government guidance on quarantine - or to be exact to interpret it to the strict letter of ‘within two meters’ - precisely to avoid large numbers being sent home and schools having to close.

Nothing to do with disruption to education, everything to do with not wanting to admit their strategy had failed completely.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, it is the false negatives that are the main problem.
  • Options

How very spiteful.

Wonder if he'll give an exclusive to GB News and AF Neil?!

It was surprisingly cruel of This Week to keep taking the piss out of Bercow's height as they did, playing out to "Big John" over footage of him. You dont see things like that much nowadays
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

They can fuck off with that.
  • Options

How very spiteful.

I believe however that he is the first former speaker to join a political party since Manners Sutton in the 1830s.
  • Options

Interesting to see @Philip_Thompson is effectively willing to get rid of local government in aid of “the market”.

I suspect Conservative voters across the land are not happy with their local councillors being overruled. That is why there is significant trouble brewing within the party over the issue.

Of course, those arrogant metropolitan elites may treat their voters with even more contempt, and I cannot see that ending well.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, it is the false negatives that are the main problem.
    Not always. One colleague had five LFTs from two batches come back positive. Each time, a PCR test came back negative.

Boy, did that cause chaos on the cover...
  • Options

How very spiteful.

Heaven has a place for a sinner who truly repents.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,952
    Mother in law just blasted the work GPs are(n't) doing right now - she used to be a GP herself !
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Andy_JS said:

Still no ethnic minorities tho?

They really are the party of the guilt ridden upper middle class elite
  • Options

Why should the state be interfering in the market and creating market failures?
This discussion has been closed.