Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Rise (and Fall?) of Cressida Dick – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.

A replacement, or alongside? The two are quite different.
    “Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
    Given that no bugger under 50 understands them why would they do that?
    Ah yes of course. Silly me.
    Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.
    At the age of 38 I haven't got the foggiest how imperial works.

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
    I'm only slightly older and understand imperial pretty well, as well as metric.
    You don't though. How many inches in a mile? (I'd guess you don't know)

I really don't know either (I can work it out). I do know how many centimeters there are in a kilometer though.

Imperial measures are tricky to fathom, and are miles out of date.

I’m out of my depth with fathoms
    That must make you feel like a plum.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited June 2021

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

Frankly, they could have made absolutely any decision there.
    I don't think so. From the little I saw, of the series the winner's sewing was way ahead. Don't forget the title of the programme.
    She kept winning the pattern challenge, which is the best test of pure sowing ability. The other challenges also require creativity, and it took her a while to get into her stride with these. A worthy winner.
    No argument from me. On that 60 minutes of show, it was so tight and if the judges had to separate on count back then it was going to be Serena every time. But Raph had the design stuff again, which given his profession does figure, and given the judges' liking for that stuff he probably only missed out by an (imperial) short hem , and with barely anything in it on execution, personally I just preferred Rebecca's showstopper to the Villanelle schtick once more.
    I liked the style of Rebecca's dress, and it was a great fit on her friend, but I wasn't keen on the choice of fabric.

Serena's was fun, and the execution and attention to detail spot on.

As you say, Raph is naturally very creative and produced some great garments over the series.

A very high standard across the three of them.
    What is the name of this show, it sounds great. Wouldn't be surprised if it follows the Great British Bakeoff over to these shores.
    Great British Sewing Bee.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

I don't think so. From the little I saw, of the series the winner's sewing was way ahead. Don't forget the title of the programme.
    She kept winning the pattern challenge, which is the best test of pure sowing ability. The other challenges also require creativity, and it took her a while to get into her stride with these. A worthy winner.
    No argument from me. On that 60 minutes of show, it was so tight and if the judges had to separate on count back then it was going to be Serena every time. But Raph had the design stuff again, which given his profession does figure, and given the judges' liking for that stuff he probably only missed out by an (imperial) short hem , and with barely anything in it on execution, personally I just preferred Rebecca's showstopper to the Villanelle schtick once more.
    I liked the style of Rebecca's dress, and it was a great fit on her friend, but I wasn't keen on the choice of fabric.

As you say, Raph is naturally very creative and produced some great garments over the series.

What is the name of this show, it sounds great. Wouldn't be surprised if it follows the Great British Bakeoff over to these shores.
    Great British Sewing Bee - near identical format to Bake Off.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Charles said:

One irony is that the whole debate about imperial and metric is really something that belongs in the past.

If you see something in one unit of measurement and you wanted it in another it takes a few seconds to pull your phone out and get Google to convert it. So it doesn't matter in 2021 what unit is used, as a few seconds later it's converted.

I got a new cookbook this week which is clearly American. A recipe said to set the oven to 350 which is meaningless to me so I said "Alexa, what is 350 Farenheit in Celsius", she told me, I set the oven to that.

Or you could subtract 32, divide by 9 and multiple by 5.
    Or divide by 2 and round up where necessary.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    dixiedean said:

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.

“Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
    So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
    Ironically, that is the great strength of imperial. Because it mostly uses base 16 - the pointless stone being a dazzling exception* - it divides very easily into halves and quarters, and keeps on neatly dividing up.

Metric, on the other hand, is a ripe bastard to divide into anything beyond quarters.

*The slightly less pointless furlong would be another example. Should be 1600 yards to the mile, rather than 8 furlongs so 1760. But 1760 is still - just about - base 16.
    Yeah. But the yard isn't.
    No, although inches are.
    It makes no sense.
    The yard is the distance from the tip of adult man’s nose to his outstretched thumb.
    How tall is he?
    If he is on his side, arms and thumbs extended about 2 yards I would say.

LOL
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825

Zoe covid app now has a nice vaccine map....

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

Nice map.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

I have a folder full of various bits of paper, booklets, etc. to assist with unit conversion.

So, for example, if I start with 1 tonne of LNG I can convert to:

Cubic metres of LNG
    Standard cubic metres of gas
    Normal cubic metres of gas
    Standard cubic feet (scuffs) of gas
    kJ of gas (lower heating value basis)
    kJ of gas (higher heating value basis)
    Therms of gas

Etc.

The industry has moved on, and we've had to create the equivalent for hydrogen now.

Sounds like a load of hot air to me!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
    All the proposal is is the decriminalisation of offering things for sale by the pound, ounce etc. This will apply mostly to selling bananas in market stalls in north of England.

No-one truly thinks it should be a crime do they?

It should be compulsory to display the metric measure besides.

Otherwise it’s just confusion for consumers.
    I was born in 1975. Yet I still think mostly in imperial. Particularly for food. I can manage metric, sure, but generally only by a quick conversion to imperial.
    It's not onerous. But nor is 8t obvious that displaying imperial rather than metric is inherently confusing to the customer.

How do you make pancake batter? 1 egg, four ounces of flour, half a pint of milk. How do people who think in metric do it? I'm not saying the metric measurements can't be memorised of course. But I'm surprised that anyone who cooks uses metric measurements instinctively.
    Do you really refer to someone being 1.8 metres tall instead of 6 feet/foot?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Watching GB News.
    Dan Wootton keeps looking significantly at the camera rather than his guests (guests? Not sure who these people are.)
    His male guest has very surprising hair.
    Kirsty Gallagher appears to be largely decorative.

And yet I am watching TV News without shouting at the telly. It is so much less asinine than BBC.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Waitrose has been forced to stop using the name kaffir for its range of dried lime leaves after customers complained about the word’s racist connotations.

Clearly nobody at the supermarket chain appeared to be aware that for decades the word was used as a derogatory term for blacks, particularly under South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime.

Such is the word’s noxious legacy that it is now regarded as hate speech in post-apartheid South Africa, leading to an estate agent being jailed in 2018 for using the word 48 times against a black police officer.

Following complaints on social media and in letters to the supermarket chain, Waitrose has now announced it is to abandon the term and rename its Cooks’ Ingredients lime leaves as Makrut Lime Leaves.

Russell Davies, the host of Radio 4’s Brain of Britain, wrote on Twitter: “Why do Waitrose still sell "kaffir" lime leaves under that name? "... the term kaffir to refer to a Black African is a profoundly offensive and inflammatory expression" (Merriam-Webster). If you mean no offence, why risk causing it?"

The new packaging of the dried leaves, which are a popular ingredient in South East Asian cuisine, will be rolled out to all shops and Waitrose.com by early next year, once the current stock has been sold.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/waitrose-changes-name-kaffir-lime-leaves-complaints-derogatory/

Oh my goodness. How could anyone make a mistake like that?
    I suspect it is someone very young who wasn't aware of it.
    But where would they get the word from? I mean, it’s not as though it’s in common use?
    Named after these people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Kaffirs
    I don’t think the hole Waitrose have dug is getting shallower.
    What hole? It's been called this for over a hundred years.
    When I hear the word ‘kaffir’ I immediately think, ‘racist word used in Africa to describe black people.’

Which is presumably what the tribe and therefore the plant is named for.

I’m not in favour of cancelling or statue toppling or any of that rubbish, buuuut...in this particular case I would have made an exception.
    It was definitely used in South Africa in a repulsively racist way

I heard it many times when traveling there, generally from Afrikaaners.

They are the most perplexing people, incredibly warm, kind, and hospitable, super friendly, and then they will come out with a stream of pure and vile racism - of the worst kind - then they revert to being lovely

I haven’t been back in a decade, mind, so maybe it has changed
    Yes, I've noticed that. Even amongst younger ones, though they keep it heavily under wraps here.

It's really weird.
    It's the South Africa version of the N-word.

Which back in the 1970s and 1980s was quite commonly heard among Whites in the US South, when Black people were NOT around. My guess is, less so today but still around.

BTW, in my own home county in WVa, which had just one Black resident when I was a kid, use of the N-word was pretty common, at least among boys at school. And there was a local landmark, on the map it was "Negro Hill" but in local parlance it was . . . take a wild guess.

PLUS when I was in high school, had a history teacher who was something of a local hippy (he endeared himself to my class, on a hot Spring day by taking off his tie and throwing it into the waste basket). Anyway, to supplement our textbook and our somewhat isolated position viz-a-viz modern mainstream, he mimeographed his own class notes on Natives, Blacks, Asians in American history. Which was quickly dubbed "N-word News" by the rowdier element of the class.

Though they liked the guy, and well all learned something semi-useful, I'm pretty sure!
    It's been taboo here my whole life. I've never heard anyone use it amongst my friends and family.

The only exception I can think of is the dog in the original Dambusters.
    Kafir is originally Arabic for non believer (in islam), so an odd migration. Kaffir lime is the standard name for the plant, not a bit of rebadging by waitrose. I think it is used by afrikaaners (offensively) to mean inferior; there's an inedible fruit which grows on s African road verges called the kaffir melon. Cf horse in English - horse chestnut, horse mushroom etc.
    I don't think I've commented on the Waitrose issue but it seems to me that some people are looking to take offence.
    Or advertisers who want to avoid giving offense to potential & future customers.

This is an old story in the US. For example, the restaurant chain formerly known as "Sambo's".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

Great British Sewing Bee - near identical format to Bake Off.
    Hence 'Frock Off'
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Cookie said:

Watching GB News.
    Dan Wootton keeps looking significantly at the camera rather than his guests (guests? Not sure who these people are.)

And yet I am watching TV News without shouting at the telly. It is so much less asinine than BBC.

Why they hired Dan Wooton I have no idea....you only had to see him on Talk Radio for 5 mins to think it wouldn't be a good idea.

They should have tried to get the likes of Freddie Sayers if they wanted non shouty informed host.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

House of Commons, 16 June 2021 vote on COVID restrictions: 461 - 60

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Clifton-Brown, Sir Geoffrey
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Duncan Smith, rh Sir Iain
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2021-06-16/division/5F1E0E94-7BD3-4C77-9F1F-2CF56416C72E/Coronavirus?outputType=Names

most of the names I recognise are Tory (Apart from Ian Paisly )
    6 Labour MPs voted against:

Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Twigg, Derek
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

I have a folder full of various bits of paper, booklets, etc. to assist with unit conversion.

So, for example, if I start with 1 tonne of LNG I can convert to:

Cubic metres of LNG
    Standard cubic metres of gas
    Normal cubic metres of gas
    Standard cubic feet (scuffs) of gas
    kJ of gas (lower heating value basis)
    kJ of gas (higher heating value basis)
    Therms of gas

Etc.

The industry has moved on, and we've had to create the equivalent for hydrogen now.

Sounds like a load of hot air to me!
    If the air is hot you would need to correct to either standard temperature or normal temperature.
  • Options

geoffw said:

'A litre of water is a pint and three quarters'

'Two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram'

'A metre measures three foot three; it's bigger than a yard, you see'

These must have been effect, as I've never forgotten them.

A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter.
    AKA twenty fluid ounces.
    And a gallon weighs ten pounds
  • Options
    lloydylloydy Posts: 36
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
    Ironically, that is the great strength of imperial. Because it mostly uses base 16 - the pointless stone being a dazzling exception* - it divides very easily into halves and quarters, and keeps on neatly dividing up.

Metric, on the other hand, is a ripe bastard to divide into anything beyond quarters.

*The slightly less pointless furlong would be another example. Should be 1600 yards to the mile, rather than 8 furlongs so 1760. But 1760 is still - just about - base 16.
    No, although inches are.
    It makes no sense.
    The yard is the distance from the tip of adult man’s nose to his outstretched thumb.
    Of king Henry I, I was taught at school.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

My final prediction for the Chesham & Amersham by-election:

LD 43.3%
    Con 43.2%
    Reform 6.8%
    Lab 3.6%
    Grn 2.2%
    Rejoin 0.4%
    Freedom Alliance 0.3%
    Breakthrough 0.1%

Turnout 58%

LD gain from Con

We'll, if your 0.1% and my B&S within 500 votes (either way) come to pass. it'll be a fun fortnight.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388

I was born in 1975 too, must have been a good year for it. I use imperial measurements for only one thing: making pancakes (which I do every Sunday morning). But your recipe is a bit miserly on the eggs isn't it? Mine is 1 egg = 2 oz flour = 1/4pt milk.
    In general I think this imperial nostalgia is just another indicator of a country in decline.

Not really. Imperial measurements are just easier to use in many cases.

I use metric very little - even at work where everything is inches, feet, psi, barrels and pounds per gallon. I do like it for some things - actually measuring food for my diet is easier in metric but that is about all.

It means I am a damn sight better at mental arithmetic than almost all of my contemporaries and can easily switch back and forth between imperial and metric as desired.

I am teaching my son imperial alongside the metric he learns at school. Again I think it benefits him to be able to work in both. I would be just as annoyed about him not being able to work in metric units as I would about him being unable to work in imperial.
    I'm an engineer.

I use metric for mathematical calculations at my work, as base unit 10 is more efficient for this. It's more scientific and precision is essential.

However, I use imperial for estimating as I find it more "human" to gauge, especially because units in 12s or 16s are divisible by halfs, thirds, quarters and eights which is often helpful for splitting out ingredients or material quantities.

Also, it's just more interesting.
    I had a revelation when I worked out that many baking recipes given in metric measurements are simply poorly converted from the imperial, where the quantities make a lot more sense.

So, for example, in metric, a standard sponge with 4 eggs, would also have 225g each of butter, flour and sugar. However, for recipes where less sponge is called for, using 3 eggs, they would also have 175g each of butter, flour and sugar. The 1 extra egg is only matched with 50g extra of the other ingredients, which is not one-third extra - why the difference?

It's because, in imperial measurements, a standard sponge is 1 egg, with 2oz each of butter, flour and sugar (and your standard-sized egg weighs about 2oz). 225g is 8oz, and 175g is 6oz rounded to the nearest 25g. So it is revealed that a standard sponge simply has equal amounts of each ingredient (including eggs).

Metric measurements are certainly easier for computers to handle, and probably make more sense when you are dealing with large amounts of data. Imperial measurements though are simply more convenient for everyday use. That's why there are so many different units, with non-standard increments between them all, because whenever there was a different scale that needed a unit of measurement, a new unit of measurement was created (or at least that's how it seems).

As it happens, though, I never measure out my pancake ingredients. Since I was taught how to make pancake batter while camping with scouts, where we didn't have a scale, I learnt to gauge the necessary quantities by the feel of the mixture.

Also, I don't support the proposed change in the law to allow traders not to use metric. My fear is that this would be abused to confuse and rip-off consumers, who should be able to see prices in a standard and consistent set of weights and measures. A free market in weights and measures would be an abdication of one of the oldest functions of the state in supporting commercial activity.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

All the proposal is is the decriminalisation of offering things for sale by the pound, ounce etc. This will apply mostly to selling bananas in market stalls in north of England.

No-one truly thinks it should be a crime do they?

It should be compulsory to display the metric measure besides.

Otherwise it’s just confusion for consumers.
    I was born in 1975. Yet I still think mostly in imperial. Particularly for food. I can manage metric, sure, but generally only by a quick conversion to imperial.
    It's not onerous. But nor is 8t obvious that displaying imperial rather than metric is inherently confusing to the customer.

How do you make pancake batter? 1 egg, four ounces of flour, half a pint of milk. How do people who think in metric do it? I'm not saying the metric measurements can't be memorised of course. But I'm surprised that anyone who cooks uses metric measurements instinctively.
    Do you really refer to someone being 1.8 metres tall instead of 6 feet/foot?
    I think we're agreeing? Similarly, who measures their weight in kilograms rather than stone (or pounds, for Americans).

I instinctively know how much a pint, a yard, an inch, a pound, a mile is. Intellectually I know how much a litre is (about a pint and three quarters), a kilogram (two and a bit pounds) etc. are, but I know them in terms of imperial units.

Actually the only exception is metres, which with the exception of the height of humans(obviously in feet and inches) is how I instintively measure height (of buildings, mountains, etc.)

I also don't use feet for distance - I don't know why satnavs talk of '400 feet' when they could give the distance in yards, or indeed metres. (Main advantage of the yard is that it's more satisfying to say.)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    East Anglia is easily the equal of the Dordogne, in beauty, history, atmosphere, FOOD. In fact I’d say it’s better

Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk are one of the great historyscapes of the world. So much is packed into such a tiny space. From the luscious hills of Constable Country to the bleak drug lanes of Great Yarmouth. From the lonely seals of north Norfolk to the eerie war machines of Orford Ness to the deeply strange islands of the Blackwater.

Maldon, Aldeburgh, Southwold. Yet also Basildon and Lowestoft.

The Broads, the shingle spits, the epic cathedrals and castles. The wool villages, the tat of Southend, the Essex voters, the Leavers of Lavenham. What a place.

Britain is amazing
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    GB News is live from ‘Newscastle’ apparently.

They really need to work on the quality control.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Cookie said:

Watching GB News.

Why they hired Dan Wooton I have no idea....you only had to see him on Talk Radio for 5 mins to think it wouldn't be a good idea.

They should have tried to get the likes of Freddie Sayers if they wanted non shouty informed host.
    To be charitable, many people don't slot naturally into a new role straight away. Let's hope he gets more comfortable over time.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Rafa seriously dividing my Everton groups.
    It's like Israel Palestine in there.

Edit. Just noticed this fits with the preceding comment from @Cookie .
    PB serendipity.
  • Options

I was born in 1975 too, must have been a good year for it. I use imperial measurements for only one thing: making pancakes (which I do every Sunday morning). But your recipe is a bit miserly on the eggs isn't it? Mine is 1 egg = 2 oz flour = 1/4pt milk.
    In general I think this imperial nostalgia is just another indicator of a country in decline.

I use metric very little - even at work where everything is inches, feet, psi, barrels and pounds per gallon. I do like it for some things - actually measuring food for my diet is easier in metric but that is about all.

It means I am a damn sight better at mental arithmetic than almost all of my contemporaries and can easily switch back and forth between imperial and metric as desired.

I am teaching my son imperial alongside the metric he learns at school. Again I think it benefits him to be able to work in both. I would be just as annoyed about him not being able to work in metric units as I would about him being unable to work in imperial.
    I'm an engineer.

I use metric for mathematical calculations at my work, as base unit 10 is more efficient for this. It's more scientific and precision is essential.

However, I use imperial for estimating as I find it more "human" to gauge, especially because units in 12s or 16s are divisible by halfs, thirds, quarters and eights which is often helpful for splitting out ingredients or material quantities.

I had a revelation when I worked out that many baking recipes given in metric measurements are simply poorly converted from the imperial, where the quantities make a lot more sense.

So, for example, in metric, a standard sponge with 4 eggs, would also have 225g each of butter, flour and sugar. However, for recipes where less sponge is called for, using 3 eggs, they would also have 175g each of butter, flour and sugar. The 1 extra egg is only matched with 50g extra of the other ingredients, which is not one-third extra - why the difference?

It's because, in imperial measurements, a standard sponge is 1 egg, with 2oz each of butter, flour and sugar (and your standard-sized egg weighs about 2oz). 225g is 8oz, and 175g is 6oz rounded to the nearest 25g. So it is revealed that a standard sponge simply has equal amounts of each ingredient (including eggs).

Metric measurements are certainly easier for computers to handle, and probably make more sense when you are dealing with large amounts of data. Imperial measurements though are simply more convenient for everyday use. That's why there are so many different units, with non-standard increments between them all, because whenever there was a different scale that needed a unit of measurement, a new unit of measurement was created (or at least that's how it seems).

As it happens, though, I never measure out my pancake ingredients. Since I was taught how to make pancake batter while camping with scouts, where we didn't have a scale, I learnt to gauge the necessary quantities by the feel of the mixture.

Also, I don't support the proposed change in the law to allow traders not to use metric. My fear is that this would be abused to confuse and rip-off consumers, who should be able to see prices in a standard and consistent set of weights and measures. A free market in weights and measures would be an abdication of one of the oldest functions of the state in supporting commercial activity.
    I always weigh the flour, because it's usually easy to do so - though by the age of 46 I hope I'd be competent enough to get it roughly right without a scale. Milk goes in last and is the most 'by eye' quantity.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    Leon said:

East Anglia is easily the equal of the Dordogne, in beauty, history, atmosphere, FOOD. In fact I’d say it’s better

Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk are one of the great historyscapes of the world. So much is packed into such a tiny space. From the luscious hills of Constable Country to the bleak drug lanes of Great Yarmouth. From the lonely seals of north Norfolk to the eerie war machines of Orford Ness to the deeply strange islands of the Blackwater.

The Broads, the shingle spits, the epic cathedrals and castles. The wool villages, the tat of Southend, the Essex voters, the Leavers of Lavenham. What a place.

Britain is amazing

If you are swinging past Ancaster in Lincolnshire let me know and we can provide a cuppa and a break. Or something more incoholic if you prefer.
  • Options
    "Carl Zimmer
    @carlzimmer

Ouch. CureVac reports an efficacy of just 47 percent against Covid-19 in a preliminary analysis of their Phase 3 trial. Here’s my
    @nytimes story"

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1405265461579685890
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Loads of people I know from Havering are talking about moving to the Essex-Suffolk border
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

I don't see any harm in allowing sale of goods in imperial measures.

We already sell pints of beer, cider and milk, plus metals in Troy ounces, and I think pounds of bananas and sugar would be fine too.

Almost everyone I know quotes their new babies weight in pounds and ounces (even millennials) their height in feet and inches, and fuel efficiency in miles per gallon.

I don't think anyone cares if people sell things in imperial measures. It's being a shitty trader by not doing it in both so people can make use of either, presumably to make some kind of petty point. Who is helped by doing it that way?
    But if trader a wants to sell to customer b, what business is it of the state how they measure the goods being traded?
    The state sets all manner of standards, I don't see why this is the hill to die on, to offer a more restrictive service for...what reason?

Seriously, what am I missing other than more freedom to be a Shittier trader?
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

No, although inches are.
    It makes no sense.
    It was also the usual word for penis, until we decided body parts should be in Latin.
  • Options

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

If you are swinging past Ancaster in Lincolnshire let me know and we can provide a cuppa and a break. Or something more incoholic if you prefer.
    Very kind of you! I doubt I’ll get the chance this trip - I have a tight itinerary - but I aim to come back in ten days or do, maybe then….
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Andy_JS said:

LD 43.3%
    Con 43.2%
    Reform 6.8%
    Lab 3.6%
    Grn 2.2%
    Rejoin 0.4%
    Freedom Alliance 0.3%
    Breakthrough 0.1%

Turnout 58%

LD gain from Con

Reform are a huge 33/1 with Ladbrokes to finish third . Get on!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

I don't see any harm in allowing sale of goods in imperial measures.

We already sell pints of beer, cider and milk, plus metals in Troy ounces, and I think pounds of bananas and sugar would be fine too.

Almost everyone I know quotes their new babies weight in pounds and ounces (even millennials) their height in feet and inches, and fuel efficiency in miles per gallon.

I don't think anyone cares if people sell things in imperial measures. It's being a shitty trader by not doing it in both so people can make use of either, presumably to make some kind of petty point. Who is helped by doing it that way?
    But if trader a wants to sell to customer b, what business is it of the state how they measure the goods being traded?
    The state sets all manner of standards, I don't see why this is the hill to die on, to offer a more restrictive service for...what reason?

Seriously, what am I missing other than more freedom to be a Shittier trader?
    No, it's no hill to die on, I'll grant you that.
  • Options

I'm an engineer.

My industry uses imperial (actually API) because that is what the existing infrastructure is already built in from the pre-metric days. To change what is already in the ground is impossible and moving to mm or cm as they have tried to do in places like Norway just leads to more confusion and really stupid numbers. It is rather like the issues with having metric fittings for houses that were built to imperial standards. You end up with really stupid numbers for things like standard doors and windows.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Loads of people I know from Havering are talking about moving to the Essex-Suffolk border
    It is becoming highly fashionable. It’s a great place to live with a high quality of life. It reminds me of the best of Devon or Dorset but much more convenient
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Very kind of you! I doubt I’ll get the chance this trip - I have a tight itinerary - but I aim to come back in ten days or do, maybe then….
    Just give me the nod. Not like I am going anywhere :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Britain is amazing

And that's all after you've excised Cambridgeshire from it - endless Fens, 90mph on the straight followed by a 90° dead square bend else it's the drainage ditch for you, King John's treasure (perhaps), Ely, some place with a Uni.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

It is becoming highly fashionable. It’s a great place to live with a high quality of life. It reminds me of the best of Devon or Dorset but much more convenient
    Sounds great. The real Essex, not the cliche. The show detectorists was filmed up there somewhere (Framlingham, Suffolk)

Our new house is 45 mins on the train from Manningtree, so I hope to nip up there quite a bit. We have two nights booked in Mistley next month. My parents have been going to Aldeburgh and Southwold for ages but I’ve never really been
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Noted with gratitude!

I had an epiphany about half an hour ago. I’m reading the latest Rough Guide to Norfolk and Suffolk.

It is, no kidding, 670 pages long. When I opened it I thought it must be mainly padding… yet it isn’t. Every page has a wonderful church or forest or beach or battlefield or festival or gallery or story-about-a-famous-local

I can now see why a genius outsider like W G Sebald was completely entranced by this region. It is wholly compelling
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Not for Yeovil.
    Reminds me of the Guardian review of the football museum in Preston. "The only drawback is the lengthy drive up the M6."
    It's only 10 miles I thought.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Noted with gratitude!

I had an epiphany about half an hour ago. I’m reading the latest Rough Guide to Norfolk and Suffolk.

It is, no kidding, 670 pages long. When I opened it I thought it must be mainly padding… yet it isn’t. Every page has a wonderful church or forest or beach or battlefield or festival or gallery or story-about-a-famous-local

I can now see why a genius outsider like W G Sebald was completely entranced by this region. It is wholly compelling
    Hopefully covid-19 has not put paid to Rough Guides as they are the best travel guides imho. Love their maps
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Sounds great. The real Essex, not the cliche. The show detectorists was filmed up there somewhere (Framlingham, Suffolk)

Our new house is 45 mins on the train from Manningtree, so I hope to nip up there quite a bit. We have two nights booked in Mistley next month. My parents have been going to Aldeburgh and Southwold for ages but I’ve never really been
    They are both great, but I warn you, they are also Primrose-Hill-by-Sea. You might bump into ME

Have the two-sauce Harwich crab at the Mistley. It’s excellent
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Interesting, although I thought that had been going on for many years.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Purely inspired by your final sentence, here is my favourite photo of Britain I've seen all year - Blackpool, from Southport, with the Lake District behind it:
    image...

(From the Visit Blackpool Twitter page)
    That’s fabulous. That’s Britain
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Purely inspired by your final sentence, here is my favourite photo of Britain I've seen all year - Blackpool, from Southport, with the Lake District behind it:
    image...

I could be wrong, but is that photo reversed? Big One should be to the right of the Tower, shouldn't it?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Not for Yeovil.
    Reminds me of the Guardian review of the football museum in Preston. "The only drawback is the lengthy drive up the M6."
    Ha - I remember a similar piece in one of the broadsheets about Grimsby - 'you only have to go on three roads to get there - the M1, the M18 and the M180*.' Without really thinking about it, they do assume their entire readership - indeed, everybody - lives in Greater London or perhaps the innner home counties.
    Oh, and another one about the Yorkshire accent - 'so distinctive, because Yorkshire is so far from everywhere else.'

*They even got this wrong. What about the A180, eh?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

I could be wrong, but is that photo reversed? Big One should be to the right of the Tower, shouldn't it?
    I don't think so. It's from Southport, looking north (actually probably North by North West or thereabouts) - Big One is directly south of the Tower - Southport is actually slightly east of a line drawn north/south down the front in Blackpool, so you'd expect the Big One to be on the left.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

They are both great, but I warn you, they are also Primrose-Hill-by-Sea. You might bump into ME

Have the two-sauce Harwich crab at the Mistley. It’s excellent
    I see the owner also has the Italian in Manningtree.

I could probably do with bumping into someone, as my other half will be 6 months gone by then and in bed by half nine!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

:smile:

Made me swell with regional pride, that one.

And while there's a bit of clever camerawork involved - an extremely long lens, for one - go to Blackpool on a clear day and the Lake District feels almost tangible to the north. Blackpool itself might be a bit rough and ready, but the whole coastline from there up around Morecambe Bay has moments of the absolute sublime.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pro_Rata said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

I don't think so. It's from Southport, looking north (actually probably North by North West or thereabouts) - Big One is directly south of the Tower - Southport is actually slightly east of a line drawn north/south down the front in Blackpool, so you'd expect the Big One to be on the left.
    Just been on Google maps. Would need to.be taken from the very North end of Southport to get the angle I reckon. Fits with the Ribble estuary too.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Interesting, although I thought that had been going on for many years.
    Maybe it’s just that I’m approaching the age now that people do it. We are moving, but not as far as that, just to a village between Chelmsford & Brentwood
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

You can walk through Dedham Vale from Manningtree. Dedham itself is incredibly lovely. The Sun Inn is the place to eat. Much of Essex is beautiful.
  • Options
    "WHO accused of sexism after saying women of childbearing age should not drink alcohol

Draft global alcohol action plan 2022-2030 urges countries to pay ‘appropriate attention to prevention’ of consumption in certain groups" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/accused-sexism-saying-women-childbearing-age-should-not-drink/
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Noted with gratitude!

Hopefully covid-19 has not put paid to Rough Guides as they are the best travel guides imho. Love their maps
    They have about 3x as much info as any other. It's just too bad they don't cover nearly as many destinations as Lonely Planet or Let's Go.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pro_Rata said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

Ah. yes, the view is overland , with Blackpool Beach unseen behind the landmarks.and the visible cross Ribble beach somewhere near Lytham. Got it!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Finally:

Fully vaccinted don't have to quarantine for yellow list destinations:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/16/return-holidays-abroad-people-fully-vaccinated/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Noted with gratitude!

I dated a girl who lived in Nayland about 16 years ago, it's a very pleasent area of the world.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

And while there's a bit of clever camerawork involved - an extremely long lens, for one - go to Blackpool on a clear day and the Lake District feels almost tangible to the north. Blackpool itself might be a bit rough and ready, but the whole coastline from there up around Morecambe Bay has moments of the absolute sublime.
    You're spot on there.
    And Blackpool does have the Tower, the ballroom, illuminations and the Big One (amongst other rides). So worth a day if you've never been.
    In fact, from Crosby northwards there is mile after mile after mile of beaches.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

You're spot on there.
    And Blackpool does have the Tower, the ballroom, illuminations and the Big One (amongst other rides). So worth a day if you've never been.
    We used to day trip to Ainsdale and set up our sunbathing spot next to the beach parked car. For me, Bob Willis's fourth innings turn at Headingley 81 on TMS happened there.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    edited June 2021
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

And for most of last year I was living in a barn halfway up one of those mountains and could see Blackpool Tower from my living

https://imgur.com/a/1bwfDQx

The coastline around here is sublime. Miles and miles of sandy beaches - as per my avatar.
  • Options
    Two Tory wins, Labour finishing worse than third in C&A and being further behind than the Lib Dems in the respective by-elections.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    edited June 2021
    Cookie said:

Pro_Rata said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

The hills are in the right order too.

Scafell (and Ill Crags) on the left, Bow Fell, Dow Crag behind the tower, Swirl How on the right.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    Leon said:

Britain is amazing

I'm sorry but this is bollocks. I actually have a second home in Southwold so appreciate it and the area but it is not a patch on Sarlat and the surrounding area on any of the headings you gave. I know both very well indeed.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pro_Rata said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

You're spot on there.
    We used to day trip to Ainsdale and set up our sunbathing spot next to the beach parked car. For me, Bob Willis's fourth innings turn at Headingley 81 on TMS happened there.
    For me it happened in London. First holiday in the UK outside the NW.
    Gorgeous England. But very different.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Yes - but will they ever make a decision to do so?
  • Options
    Thinking about it. The North of England would be one of the world's greatest tourist destinations.
    Apart from the bloody weather.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Cookie said:

I think we're agreeing? Similarly, who measures their weight in kilograms rather than stone (or pounds, for Americans).

I instinctively know how much a pint, a yard, an inch, a pound, a mile is. Intellectually I know how much a litre is (about a pint and three quarters), a kilogram (two and a bit pounds) etc. are, but I know them in terms of imperial units.

Actually the only exception is metres, which with the exception of the height of humans(obviously in feet and inches) is how I instintively measure height (of buildings, mountains, etc.)

I also don't use feet for distance - I don't know why satnavs talk of '400 feet' when they could give the distance in yards, or indeed metres. (Main advantage of the yard is that it's more satisfying to say.)

You can reset most satnavs nowadays to talk your kind of numbers :). A product of foreign upbringing, I've always measured my weight in kilos, but thought most kids do too nowdays, no?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

You're spot on there.
    I was on holiday too, in Croyde, Devon. I was 6.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    edited June 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

And for most of last year I was living in a barn halfway up one of those mountains and could see Blackpool Tower from my living

https://imgur.com/a/1bwfDQx

The coastline around here is sublime. Miles and miles of sandy beaches - as per my avatar.
    Sandscale Haws is my favourite in that part of the world. Natterjack Toads with a background of hills.

The only bit of the Lakes which really meets the sea (although I like the limestone around Morecambe Bay too, it isn't really the Lakes as such).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

Not for Yeovil.
    Ha - I remember a similar piece in one of the broadsheets about Grimsby - 'you only have to go on three roads to get there - the M1, the M18 and the M180*.' Without really thinking about it, they do assume their entire readership - indeed, everybody - lives in Greater London or perhaps the innner home counties.
    Oh, and another one about the Yorkshire accent - 'so distinctive, because Yorkshire is so far from everywhere else.'

*They even got this wrong. What about the A180, eh?
    Might be of interest:

https://www.roads.org.uk/motorway/a1077m
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Waitrose has been forced to stop using the name kaffir for its range of dried lime leaves after customers complained about the word’s racist connotations.

Clearly nobody at the supermarket chain appeared to be aware that for decades the word was used as a derogatory term for blacks, particularly under South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime.

Such is the word’s noxious legacy that it is now regarded as hate speech in post-apartheid South Africa, leading to an estate agent being jailed in 2018 for using the word 48 times against a black police officer.

Following complaints on social media and in letters to the supermarket chain, Waitrose has now announced it is to abandon the term and rename its Cooks’ Ingredients lime leaves as Makrut Lime Leaves.

Russell Davies, the host of Radio 4’s Brain of Britain, wrote on Twitter: “Why do Waitrose still sell "kaffir" lime leaves under that name? "... the term kaffir to refer to a Black African is a profoundly offensive and inflammatory expression" (Merriam-Webster). If you mean no offence, why risk causing it?"

The new packaging of the dried leaves, which are a popular ingredient in South East Asian cuisine, will be rolled out to all shops and Waitrose.com by early next year, once the current stock has been sold.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/waitrose-changes-name-kaffir-lime-leaves-complaints-derogatory/

Oh my goodness. How could anyone make a mistake like that?
    I suspect it is someone very young who wasn't aware of it.
    But where would they get the word from? I mean, it’s not as though it’s in common use?
    Named after these people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Kaffirs
    I don’t think the hole Waitrose have dug is getting shallower.
    What hole? It's been called this for over a hundred years.
    When I hear the word ‘kaffir’ I immediately think, ‘racist word used in Africa to describe black people.’

Which is presumably what the tribe and therefore the plant is named for.

I’m not in favour of cancelling or statue toppling or any of that rubbish, buuuut...in this particular case I would have made an exception.
    It was definitely used in South Africa in a repulsively racist way

I heard it many times when traveling there, generally from Afrikaaners.

They are the most perplexing people, incredibly warm, kind, and hospitable, super friendly, and then they will come out with a stream of pure and vile racism - of the worst kind - then they revert to being lovely

I haven’t been back in a decade, mind, so maybe it has changed
    Yes, I've noticed that. Even amongst younger ones, though they keep it heavily under wraps here.

It's really weird.
    It's the South Africa version of the N-word.

Which back in the 1970s and 1980s was quite commonly heard among Whites in the US South, when Black people were NOT around. My guess is, less so today but still around.

BTW, in my own home county in WVa, which had just one Black resident when I was a kid, use of the N-word was pretty common, at least among boys at school. And there was a local landmark, on the map it was "Negro Hill" but in local parlance it was . . . take a wild guess.

PLUS when I was in high school, had a history teacher who was something of a local hippy (he endeared himself to my class, on a hot Spring day by taking off his tie and throwing it into the waste basket). Anyway, to supplement our textbook and our somewhat isolated position viz-a-viz modern mainstream, he mimeographed his own class notes on Natives, Blacks, Asians in American history. Which was quickly dubbed "N-word News" by the rowdier element of the class.

Though they liked the guy, and well all learned something semi-useful, I'm pretty sure!
    It's been taboo here my whole life. I've never heard anyone use it amongst my friends and family.

The only exception I can think of is the dog in the original Dambusters.
    Prolific in the Flashman books which is one reason why they've never been televised I think. It's so long since I saw the film Royal Flash I can't remember how they dealt with it, but it involved European shenanigans so it may not have been such an issue.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

You're spot on there.
    Yes - I do like Blackpool, actually. You could divert yourself for days there.
    My favroute piece of public art is in Blackpool, outside the tower. If you're ever wondering what it means to be British - what distinguishes us from the Swedes, or the Canadians, or the Malawians - this is it. The most British thing in Britain. British culture distilled into a quarter of an acre of pavement.
    https://www.visitblackpool.com/detail/comedy-carpet-blackpool-651130/
  • Options

Cookie said:

You can reset most satnavs nowadays to talk your kind of numbers :). A product of foreign upbringing, I've always measured my weight in kilos, but thought most kids do too nowdays, no?
    Maybe the kids do! I'm distinctly middle aged by now. But my daughters refer to heights of humans in feet and inches and weights of humans in stone and pounds.Which they presumably inherit from their parents, who have in turn inherited it from their (pre-decimalisation) parents).

It's just what you grow up with, I suppose. And school is only ever a very small part of that.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

geoffw said:

'A litre of water is a pint and three quarters'

'Two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram'

'A metre measures three foot three; it's bigger than a yard, you see'

These must have been effect, as I've never forgotten them.

A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter.
    AKA twenty fluid ounces.
    And a gallon weighs ten pounds
    Depends on what its a gallon of....I doubt a gallon of molten lead weights ten pounds
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

You're spot on there.
    My favroute piece of public art is in Blackpool, outside the tower. If you're ever wondering what it means to be British - what distinguishes us from the Swedes, or the Canadians, or the Malawians - this is it. The most British thing in Britain. British culture distilled into a quarter of an acre of pavement.
    Not ideal if you like fine dining, £40 bottles of wine, or getting completely pissed and not having a fight.
    But, yeah, diversions. Blackpool ain't boring. Or exclusionary.
    There is a point about political re-alignment in there.
    But I am too pissed to make it.
  • Options
    501 sample - not a subsample

Voting intention amongst ethnic minority voters (+/- since 25 Jan-1 Feb):

LAB: 51% (-7)
    CON: 28% (+6)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LD: 7% (+1)
    SNP: 3% (+1)
    REF: 2% (-1)

Labour won *64%* amongst BAME voters in 2019.

Via @NCPoliticsUK
    , 7-14 June
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

You're spot on there.
    I was on holiday too, in Croyde, Devon. I was 6.
    I expect I was in my cot, being a month old at the time.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Keir Starmer has picked the election slogan of US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, “Stronger Together”, to badge the wide-ranging policy review that will lay the groundwork for Labour’s next manifesto.

As well as being widely used by Clinton in 2016, the “Stronger Together” strapline is reminiscent of both the “Better Together” slogan used by the no campaign in the 2014 Scottish referendum, and “Stronger In”, the name of the failed anti-Brexit campaign two years later.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/16/keir-starmer-picks-stonger-together-slogan-used-by-hillary-clinton-to-rebrand

1 out of 3 worked....so works about as well as the old Chinese vaccine in Chile....
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

I'm sorry but this is bollocks. I actually have a second home in Southwold so appreciate it and the area but it is not a patch on Sarlat and the surrounding area on any of the headings you gave. I know both very well indeed.
    I know the world. Sarlat is ticky-tacky three musketeer tourism tat. Slightly prettier than Ipswich, I grant, but laughably trivial compared to, say, Cambridge?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Via @NCPoliticsUK
    , 7-14 June

But Starmer took the knee....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Via @NCPoliticsUK
    , 7-14 June

Explains the London mayoral election result to an extent. Bailey did well in traditionally Labour areas like Newham and Edmonton, and Labour did better than before in middle-class white areas like Wimbledon and Twickenham.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Can’t win em all:

The 3rd mRNA vaccine by CureVac reports a disappointing 47% efficacy in interim results. However, 13 variants caused cases of #COVID19 in the trial, with only a single case of original strain. More than half of the cases were variants of concern in trial

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1405280590618763264?s=20

That's pretty shitty for emerging markets: CureVac was by far the most distributable of the mRNA vaccines.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LD 43.3%
    Con 43.2%
    Reform 6.8%
    Lab 3.6%
    Grn 2.2%
    Rejoin 0.4%
    Freedom Alliance 0.3%
    Breakthrough 0.1%

Turnout 58%

LD gain from Con

I think your turnout number is high: I think it'll be in the 40s. I also think that Con will be in the 46-48% range.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"WHO accused of sexism after saying women of childbearing age should not drink alcohol

Draft global alcohol action plan 2022-2030 urges countries to pay ‘appropriate attention to prevention’ of consumption in certain groups" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/accused-sexism-saying-women-childbearing-age-should-not-drink/

There won't be many babies born if women of childbearing age aren't drinking alcohol.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Britain is amazing

image...

You're spot on there.
    I love Blackpool. Spent Sunday-Tuesday there with my wife. Lovely beach, friendly pubs, fun piers. Viva Blackpool is a great cabaret lounge. Only an hour from Liverpool. Other distances may vary.
This discussion has been closed.