Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Rise (and Fall?) of Cressida Dick – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356
    IMHO 49 conservatives rebelling tonight makes opening on the 19th July very much more likely
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,681
    No surprise that my honourable member is on the anti-lockdown extension list.

So if I walk into one of his surgeries without a mask and start coughing my guts out, I guess he won't mind.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

So if I walk into one of his surgeries without a mask and start coughing my guts out, I guess he won't mind.

He asked a question at PMQs. I thought he was very good.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,367
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Waitrose has been forced to stop using the name kaffir for its range of dried lime leaves after customers complained about the word’s racist connotations.

Clearly nobody at the supermarket chain appeared to be aware that for decades the word was used as a derogatory term for blacks, particularly under South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime.

Such is the word’s noxious legacy that it is now regarded as hate speech in post-apartheid South Africa, leading to an estate agent being jailed in 2018 for using the word 48 times against a black police officer.

Following complaints on social media and in letters to the supermarket chain, Waitrose has now announced it is to abandon the term and rename its Cooks’ Ingredients lime leaves as Makrut Lime Leaves.

Russell Davies, the host of Radio 4’s Brain of Britain, wrote on Twitter: “Why do Waitrose still sell "kaffir" lime leaves under that name? "... the term kaffir to refer to a Black African is a profoundly offensive and inflammatory expression" (Merriam-Webster). If you mean no offence, why risk causing it?"

The new packaging of the dried leaves, which are a popular ingredient in South East Asian cuisine, will be rolled out to all shops and Waitrose.com by early next year, once the current stock has been sold.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/waitrose-changes-name-kaffir-lime-leaves-complaints-derogatory/

Oh my goodness. How could anyone make a mistake like that?
    Nonsense. What mistake?

Kaffir lime is a fruit tree species in Asia! Nothing to do skin colour. Honestly. If someone takes offense (or more likely pretends they have) then they need educating that words can mean different things in different contexts. True that the words was a racial slur in apartheid Africa but who with a gram of intelligence could think that Waitrose by selling the leaves from the Kaffir Lime tree were out to insult black people?
    More woke shittery at work.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    I see Hancock has said Freedom Day will NOT be delayed beyond July 19.

Genuine :lol:
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356

As did Gove
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Does anyone know, how many versts to a furlong? Or visa versa?

And just how many scruples to a peck?
  • Options

CatMan said:

gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

Yessssssss brilliant Wales

da iawn

“ da iawn “

They are jive talking in da valley tonight.
    Dych chi ddim yn licio Gymraeg ar y sgwrs hwn?
    It’s not that I don’t like it, and it’s all translatable via google, Now if I can say this very carefully so I can get away with it, but it’s true isn’t it, the Welsh spoken today is not historical Welsh?

Many years ago a panel of experts on Radio 4 all agreed the Welsh today was invented by a Professor (recall the debate not the name) not more than 100 years ago - and in terms of complexity Tolkien managed a better effort with his Elvish languages. That actual Welsh language is long gone - even practicing Druid’s today who have next to no idea what Druid’s really believed and practiced have more knowledge of Druidism than the Welsh do of the old Welsh language before the modern invention.

This is pretty accurate in’t it?
    You sure you're not thinking of Cornish?
    Yeah that's complete rubbish. The 1891 census of Wales asked whether people living in Wales spoke Welsh, English or both.

For example, in Monmouthshire there were 759k English only speakers, 508k Welsh only speakers and 402k who could speak both
    I've got a commentary on the Bible, in Welsh. Effectively it's a Bible, because only OUP could publish bibles, and they weren't interested in doing so in Welsh.. Published about 1800. Belonged to my gt-grandfather. Massive thing.
    It was left to me by my Welsh-speaking grandmother. No idea who'll have it, or want it, after me!
    I am certain a Welsh library would want it. Don’t let this bit of history be lost.
    I won't. TBH I think my cousin might want it. He's into Family History.
    I find I am becoming the family repository for stuff. I was staggered how carelessly my parents generation were throwing family stuff away.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

He asked a question at PMQs. I thought he was very good.
    Did he mention the Shipley bypass or leaving Bradford Council jurisdiction by any chance?

Actually, these are the two things where I agree with him.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.

A replacement, or alongside? The two are quite different.
    “Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
    Given that no bugger under 50 understands them why would they do that?
    Ah yes of course. Silly me.
    Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.
    At the age of 38 I haven't got the foggiest how imperial works.

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
    Lucky you didn't have to learn pre-decimal currency. I'd like to abandon Imperial measurements, but so much of my gauging of things still happens in those old units - I think in miles when driving, I think in excess stones when on the scales, I think in feet when looking down.. :), I think in pints for milk, and I'm pretty sure I'm 6ft tall.

Metric measurements are in all ways better, and we should abandon the Imperial units, and even more so the US should.
    My daughter asked me a few weeks ago if I had ever used a farthing before…
    Pre-decimal denominations can provide a few nice questions for quiz nights: How many farthings in a florin? How many groats in a guinea?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    I've got a long drive tomorrow, and am wondering if there is a way I could listen to the Andrew Neil interview of Rishi Sunak, possibly as a podcast?

There are some very clever and technically sophisticated people on here, so any way I could do this?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    BigRich said:

House of Commons, 16 June 2021 vote on COVID restrictions: 461 - 60

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Clifton-Brown, Sir Geoffrey
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Duncan Smith, rh Sir Iain
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen9
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2021-06-16/division/5F1E0E94-7BD3-4C77-9F1F-2CF56416C72E/Coronavirus?outputType=Names

most of the names I recognise are Tory (Apart from Ian Paisly )
    Indeed. So many more Tories than last time.
    But without the LDs and Corbynites. And Caroline Lucas.
    Ben Bradshaw and Emma Lewell-Buck are Labour rebels I recognise.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    Immobile!!

@isam

Well tipped. 3-0 Italy
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    BigRich said:

I've got a long drive tomorrow, and am wondering if there is a way I could listen to the Andrew Neil interview of Rishi Sunak, possibly as a podcast?

There are some very clever and technically sophisticated people on here, so any way I could do this?

Just play it on your phone. Obviously don't pay attention to the screen.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited June 2021

A scruple is 20 grains. There are 3 to the drachm.

And you wouldn’t pick a scruple of pickled peppers!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,781

A verst is 3 miles, a furlong an eighth of a mile isn't it?, from memory.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,432
    gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

Yessssssss brilliant Wales

da iawn

“ da iawn “

They are jive talking in da valley tonight.
    Dych chi ddim yn licio Gymraeg ar y sgwrs hwn?
    It’s not that I don’t like it, and it’s all translatable via google, Now if I can say this very carefully so I can get away with it, but it’s true isn’t it, the Welsh spoken today is not historical Welsh?

Many years ago a panel of experts on Radio 4 all agreed the Welsh today was invented by a Professor (recall the debate not the name) not more than 100 years ago - and in terms of complexity Tolkien managed a better effort with his Elvish languages. That actual Welsh language is long gone - even practicing Druid’s today who have next to no idea what Druid’s really believed and practiced have more knowledge of Welsh than the Welsh do of the old Welsh language before the modern invention.

This is pretty accurate in’t it?
    No.

Edit - in terms of Druids, or the Gorsedd to give them their correct title, they are a recent invention by an eighteenth century stonemason and poet called Edward Williams. Not really relevant to the language debate.
    I used the reinvention of Gorseddism as metaphor, as example, but a good example as the reinvention of Welsh language used today is much the same thing isn’t it, a recent reinvention by a sub par Professor Tolkien?
    No. It is not.

I have no idea where you are getting this idea from, but you are completely wrong. It was the common language of the majority of Welsh people until the First World War era. Not until 1870 when education was in English did that even start to change. Not until the mass call ups of the First World War and the turbulence of the Depression did English begin to seriously erode Welsh as the common language.

Previously, schooling had been done (for over a hundred years) by means of what was called the ‘circulating schools’ attached to the Methodist church teaching people to read (particularly) in Welsh. It was one of the most literate societies in the world, but few could speak or read English. Their learned societies based in London published works in Welsh that are perfectly recognisable to Welsh speakers today. Some of them were even named in Welsh (the Cymrodorion spring to mind). Whole universities were founded in the nineteenth century - Lampeter (1822) Carmarthen (1848) and Aberystwyth (1871) to teach through the medium of Welsh, for the simple reason that was the only language the population understood. Heck, the only Welsh PM (who left office 99 years ago) was actually born in England but his first language was Welsh. In 1919 he and his secretary Tom Jones (not that one!) had phone conversations in Welsh to keep all their negotiating strategy secret from eavesdroppers. In 1865 a Welsh group left for Argentina to found Y Wladfa, and their language is still perfectly comprehensible to modern Welsh speakers.

It is true that Welsh has become more formalised and standardised in the last hundred years, but the same is very true of English. And yet I as a researcher in nineteenth century history had no problem reading manuscripts in it. Or German - indeed, the German script has changed so dramatically since the 1940s you could call it a new form of written language, but again, I am sure the good Dr Palmer would have no trouble understanding the spoken form from a hundred years ago.

So I honestly don’t know who your experts were, but they were talking complete and utter nonsense.

I am assuming the professor in question was Sir Albert Jones-Evans, who under his Bardic name Cynan was Wales’ greatest First World War poet and Archdruid for years. But the idea he invented the language? Simply not correct.
    I was speaking off top my head based on something stuck in my brain from pre internet time, I hadn’t looked into it.

I have now. They may have been referring to Iolo Morganwg. How would you estimate his impact on promotion of Welsh language?

Zero. He was important because the Welsh language was so widespread, not the other way around.

His work in founding the Gorsedd, as I noted above, is a bit different. That is as fake as a tin pound, but at the same time, it genuinely has been an important movement for literature and art over several centuries.
    The link below was good old fight over it

“The Welsh language has roots dating back 6,500 years to the first settlers in Great Britain by the Indo-European Celtic Settlers,”

Versus.

“English as we know it today has changed a lot from Old English, which was a super cool language with lots of extra letters and is completely unrecognisable as the ancestor of today's language. It can be argued that Welsh hasn't changed quite as drastically as English over the centuries, but that doesn't make it any older either Welsh (and Cornish and Breton) come from the Brythonic language, which existed in Britain before Anglo-Saxon arrived, but that doesn't make Welsh older than English. No, English didn't 'come from German'. No, English didn't 'come from Latin'. And, goddamnit, no, English isn't a younger language than Welsh.”

https://dreamsanddialects.weebly.com/dreams--dialects/4-welsh-language-myths-that-need-busting

There certainly seems ground to argue over how old a language is, as they do undergo change, does that leave them the same thing

But my assertions, in my original postings on this, remain groundless without citation supporting them.

If anything modern Welsh is less altered from Old Welsh than modern English from Old English.

I was wrong.

I will now slink away.
    I’m really not sure welsh can be traced back ‘6,500 years to the first settlers in Great Britain”.

Every claim in that sentence is wrong. The first settlers in Britain came maybe 250,000 or even 800,000 years ago. I doubt they spoke ‘welsh’

Even if you restrict this to post-ice-age settlers, the first came about 12-10,000 years ago. Again not Welsh.

The settlers who arrived around 6,500 years ago were the beaker people. Not welsh

The celts came about 3,500-4000 years ago. Possibly speaking welsh but who knows. Even the concept ‘Celt’ is much disputed
  • Options
    Omnium said:

BigRich said:

That is my default option, (but I suspect its technically illegal, would not look good it there was an incitant,) can I get youtube to do Audio only?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Imperial measures and football?!

Sniff!

Off to read something fictional and enjoyable I can lose myself in.

Night.

• Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Waitrose has been forced to stop using the name kaffir for its range of dried lime leaves after customers complained about the word’s racist connotations.

Clearly nobody at the supermarket chain appeared to be aware that for decades the word was used as a derogatory term for blacks, particularly under South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime.

Such is the word’s noxious legacy that it is now regarded as hate speech in post-apartheid South Africa, leading to an estate agent being jailed in 2018 for using the word 48 times against a black police officer.

Following complaints on social media and in letters to the supermarket chain, Waitrose has now announced it is to abandon the term and rename its Cooks’ Ingredients lime leaves as Makrut Lime Leaves.

Russell Davies, the host of Radio 4’s Brain of Britain, wrote on Twitter: “Why do Waitrose still sell "kaffir" lime leaves under that name? "... the term kaffir to refer to a Black African is a profoundly offensive and inflammatory expression" (Merriam-Webster). If you mean no offence, why risk causing it?"

The new packaging of the dried leaves, which are a popular ingredient in South East Asian cuisine, will be rolled out to all shops and Waitrose.com by early next year, once the current stock has been sold.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/waitrose-changes-name-kaffir-lime-leaves-complaints-derogatory/

I suspect it is someone very young who wasn't aware of it.
    But where would they get the word from? I mean, it’s not as though it’s in common use?
    Named after these people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Kaffirs
    I don’t think the hole Waitrose have dug is getting shallower.
    What hole? It's been called this for over a hundred years.
    When I hear the word ‘kaffir’ I immediately think, ‘racist word used in Africa to describe black people.’

Which is presumably what the tribe and therefore the plant is named for.

I’m not in favour of cancelling or statue toppling or any of that rubbish, buuuut...in this particular case I would have made an exception.
    It was definitely used in South Africa in a repulsively racist way

I heard it many times when traveling there, generally from Afrikaaners.

They are the most perplexing people, incredibly warm, kind, and hospitable, super friendly, and then they will come out with a stream of pure and vile racism - of the worst kind - then they revert to being lovely

I haven’t been back in a decade, mind, so maybe it has changed
    Are you saying you have never met a nice South African?
    That's not bleddy surprising, man!
    Because they’re a bunch of arrogant bastards who hate Black people.
    You’ve never been there have you? White South Africans - especially Afrikaaners - are definitely not arrogant. They have a deep cultural insecurity. Even an inferiority complex - towards European cultures. They’re even embarrassed by their ‘primitive’ language which the Dutch dismiss as ‘kitchen Dutch’ - a basic and uncouth form of the tongue.

If you have a cultural cringe towards the Dutch you have a definite issue with self-esteem. And afrikaaners also have an inferiority complex towards British settlers and culture, of course. We came in and stole their colony

This may partly explain their horrible attitude to black people, they are the hen-pecked husband who kicks the cat to assert his virility
    I was quoting the song, Leon,..
    To be fair, I think Leon may, on this occasion, have a point.

I had a colleague whose (Communist) father had been expelled from S Africa. Lovely lady.
    Afrikaaners are like most South Africans of all ethnicities, friendly and hospitable people, generous and proud of their history and culture. Like other South Africans their hostility is to their fellow countrymen.

Theirs is a pre-Enlightenment culture, based on a pioneering occupation of others lands, kin ties and an unsophisticated Protestantism. There is much in common with American Hillbilly culture, and Ulster Protestants. They understand that they are looked down upon by others, so take refuge in their tight knit communities. I don't think that they have a cultural cringe about other cultures, so much as a contempt for decadence and moral degeneracy of them.

One of my most vivid memories was being the guest at an Afrikaaner stag night, climbing a mountain, with a braai at a hut an hour or so short of the summit, which we clambered up to for dawn over the African plain. We swapped stories late into the night, discussing cabbages and Kings under the most spectacular starry southern sky. Lekker.
    Foxy, didn't you also spend part of your misspent youth in Georgia, USA? Could you compare & contrast?

Seems to me that critical X-factor to the transition from apartheid to majority rule in South Africa, was the connection and (dare I say) rapport created by Nelson Mandela with Afrikaaners, both individually and collectively? He learned their language, absorbed some of their culture (notably rugby), communicated with a wide variety of folks in the community, from his prison guards to government ministers, and got into their heads - and they into his.
  • Options
    Serena!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

BigRich said:

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen9
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2021-06-16/division/5F1E0E94-7BD3-4C77-9F1F-2CF56416C72E/Coronavirus?outputType=Names

most of the names I recognise are Tory (Apart from Ian Paisly )
    Indeed. So many more Tories than last time.
    But without the LDs and Corbynites. And Caroline Lucas.
    Ben Bradshaw and Emma Lewell-Buck are Labour rebels I recognise.
    Mostly the usual suspects I see. Those that brought down the last PM.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

It's fair enough for the SNP to abstain as these are restrictions that affect England. No view from the Lib Dems though ?
    The 2-5 DUP split is interesting - who decides on whether or not regulations in Northern Ireland are continued ?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    BigRich said:

Omnium said:

BigRich said:

That is my default option, (but I suspect its technically illegal, would not look good it there was an incitant,) can I get youtube to do Audio only?
    It's only illegal to use a phone as a phone. Just turn the screen off and it's effectively a radio.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    I don't see any harm in allowing sale of goods in imperial measures.

We already sell pints of beer, cider and milk, plus metals in Troy ounces, and I think pounds of bananas and sugar would be fine too.

Almost everyone I know quotes their new babies weight in pounds and ounces (even millennials) their height in feet and inches, and fuel efficiency in miles per gallon.
  • Options
    Italy available at 7-1. Same as England.
    Know which one of those looks value.
  • Options

Charles said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.

“Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
    Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
    Lucky you didn't have to learn pre-decimal currency. I'd like to abandon Imperial measurements, but so much of my gauging of things still happens in those old units - I think in miles when driving, I think in excess stones when on the scales, I think in feet when looking down.. :), I think in pints for milk, and I'm pretty sure I'm 6ft tall.

Metric measurements are in all ways better, and we should abandon the Imperial units, and even more so the US should.
    Pre-decimal denominations can provide a few nice questions for quiz nights: How many farthings in a florin? How many groats in a guinea?
    "How many groats in a guinea?"

At first reading, thought this referenced a VERY degenerate (indeed criminal) bit of Bullingdonianism . . .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    edited June 2021

We already sell pints of beer, cider and milk, plus metals in Troy ounces, and I think pounds of bananas and sugar would be fine too.

Almost everyone I know quotes their new babies weight in pounds and ounces (even millennials) their height in feet and inches, and fuel efficiency in miles per gallon.

I don't think anyone cares if people sell things in imperial measures. It's being a shitty trader by not doing it in both so people can make use of either, presumably to make some kind of petty point. Who is helped by doing it that way?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

Charles said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

At first reading, thought this referenced a VERY degenerate (indeed criminal) bit of Bullingdonianism . . .
    fowl play!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

It's fair enough for the SNP to abstain as these are restrictions that affect England. No view from the Lib Dems though ?
    The 2-5 DUP split is interesting - who decides on whether or not regulations in Northern Ireland are continued ?
    They voted against in March. Wonder what changed? Ditto Corbyn, Burgon, Abbott at al.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    geoffw said:

A British cellist who was the first black winner of the 2016 BBC Young Musician award and played at the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan had his passport cancelled by the Home Office.

Seems to be some kind of Home Office error...

Source? Is that Sheku Kanneh-Mason? That's a big deal if so, he is a rapidly rising star.
    A Home Office spokesperson said: “We are in contact with Mr Kanneh-Mason to resolve this situation and apologise for any inconvenience caused. A replacement passport will be issued as soon as possible.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/16/acclaimed-british-cellist-has-passport-cancelled-by-home-office
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
  • Options

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

BigRich said:

It's only illegal to use a phone as a phone. Just turn the screen off and it's effectively a radio.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't think anyone cares if people sell things in imperial measures. It's being a shitty trader by not doing it in both so people can make use of either, presumably to make some kind of petty point. Who is helped by doing it that way?
    The Conservative Party?
  • Options

Charles said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

63?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

Tory MP Peter Bone has just raised a point of order in Commons to point out that not a single Labour, SNP or Lib Dem MP is in the chamber to debate the extension of lockdown regs until July 19.

He asks if half the Tory benches could move over to improve social distancing

https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1405204172438478849?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

They voted against in March. Wonder what changed? Ditto Corbyn, Burgon, Abbott at al.
    Corbyn, might be trying to mend fences with the Labour leadership so is voting with them, the other Lab MPs might just be copying Corbyn. but Im only guessing.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,838

Serena!

Frankly, they could have made absolutely any decision there.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Charles said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

63?
    Yes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Furlong = 1/8 of a mile, cable = 1/10 nautical mile - smaller fraction of longer length, so a good pub quiz q is which is longer?

CBA to do the math but I think a furlong is longer
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Italy available at 7-1. Same as England.
    Know which one of those looks value.

Italy on the harder side of the draw, in my opinion.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

Tory MP Peter Bone has just raised a point of order in Commons to point out that not a single Labour, SNP or Lib Dem MP is in the chamber to debate the extension of lockdown regs until July 19.

LOL

that would be so symbolic if allowed
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

LOL

that would be so symbolic if allowed
    Doesn't the opposition whip have to be in place for there to be a debate?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Tellers for the Noes
    Mr Steve Baker
    Jackie Doyle-Price

Members voting No
    Afriyie, Adam
    Baillie, Siobhan
    Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackman, Bob
    Blunt, Crispin
    Bone, Mr Peter
    Bradley, rh Karen
    Bradshaw, rh Mr Ben
    Brady, Sir Graham
    Bridgen, Andrew
    Brine, Steve
    Campbell, Mr Gregory
    Cates, Miriam
    Chope, Sir Christopher
    Colburn, Elliot
    Davies, Philip
    Davis, rh Mr David
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Drax, Richard
    Francois, rh Mr Mark
    Fysh, Mr Marcus
    Girvan, Paul
    Grayling, rh Chris
    Green, Chris
    Gwynne, Andrew
    Harper, rh Mr Mark
    Hollobone, Mr Philip
    Jones, rh Mr David
    Latham, Mrs Pauline
    Lewell-Buck, Mrs Emma
    Lewer, Andrew
    Lockhart, Carla
    Loder, Chris
    Lord, Mr Jonathan
    Loughton, Tim
    Mackinlay, Craig
    McCartney, Karl
    McPartland, Stephen
    McVey, rh Esther
    Merriman, Huw
    Morris, Anne Marie
    Paisley, Ian
    Pawsey, Mark
    Redwood, rh John
    Rosindell, Andrew
    Smith, Greg
    Smith, Henry
    Spellar, rh John
    Stringer, Graham
    Sturdy, Julian
    Swayne, rh Sir Desmond
    Syms, Sir Robert
    Tracey, Craig
    Twigg, Derek
    Walker, Sir Charles
    Warburton, David
    Wilson, rh Sammy
    Wragg, Mr William

LibDems in C&A this afternoon /evening?
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But where would they get the word from? I mean, it’s not as though it’s in common use?

When I hear the word ‘kaffir’ I immediately think, ‘racist word used in Africa to describe black people.’

I’m not in favour of cancelling or statue toppling or any of that rubbish, buuuut...in this particular case I would have made an exception.

They are the most perplexing people, incredibly warm, kind, and hospitable, super friendly, and then they will come out with a stream of pure and vile racism - of the worst kind - then they revert to being lovely

Yes, I've noticed that. Even amongst younger ones, though they keep it heavily under wraps here.

It's really weird.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Are you saying you have never met a nice South African?
    That's not bleddy surprising, man!
    Because they’re a bunch of arrogant bastards who hate Black people.
    You’ve never been there have you? White South Africans - especially Afrikaaners - are definitely not arrogant. They have a deep cultural insecurity. Even an inferiority complex - towards European cultures. They’re even embarrassed by their ‘primitive’ language which the Dutch dismiss as ‘kitchen Dutch’ - a basic and uncouth form of the tongue.

If you have a cultural cringe towards the Dutch you have a definite issue with self-esteem. And afrikaaners also have an inferiority complex towards British settlers and culture, of course. We came in and stole their colony

This may partly explain their horrible attitude to black people, they are the hen-pecked husband who kicks the cat to assert his virility
    I was quoting the song, Leon,..
    To be fair, I think Leon may, on this occasion, have a point.

I had a colleague whose (Communist) father had been expelled from S Africa. Lovely lady.
    Afrikaaners are like most South Africans of all ethnicities, friendly and hospitable people, generous and proud of their history and culture. Like other South Africans their hostility is to their fellow countrymen.

Theirs is a pre-Enlightenment culture, based on a pioneering occupation of others lands, kin ties and an unsophisticated Protestantism. There is much in common with American Hillbilly culture, and Ulster Protestants. They understand that they are looked down upon by others, so take refuge in their tight knit communities. I don't think that they have a cultural cringe about other cultures, so much as a contempt for decadence and moral degeneracy of them.

One of my most vivid memories was being the guest at an Afrikaaner stag night, climbing a mountain, with a braai at a hut an hour or so short of the summit, which we clambered up to for dawn over the African plain. We swapped stories late into the night, discussing cabbages and Kings under the most spectacular starry southern sky. Lekker.
    That's quite good analysis @Foxy - perceptive.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    kle4 said:

But if trader a wants to sell to customer b, what business is it of the state how they measure the goods being traded?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

I don't think so. From the little I saw, of the series the winner's sewing was way ahead. Don't forget the title of the programme.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

geoffw said:

A British cellist who was the first black winner of the 2016 BBC Young Musician award and played at the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan had his passport cancelled by the Home Office.

Seems to be some kind of Home Office error...

Source? Is that Sheku Kanneh-Mason? That's a big deal if so, he is a rapidly rising star.
    A Home Office spokesperson said: “We are in contact with Mr Kanneh-Mason to resolve this situation and apologise for any inconvenience caused. A replacement passport will be issued as soon as possible.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/16/acclaimed-british-cellist-has-passport-cancelled-by-home-office
    Sorry, we just saw it was black person, we didn’t realise it was you shakey
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Furlong = 1/8 of a mile, cable = 1/10 nautical mile - smaller fraction of longer length, so a good pub quiz q is which is longer?

CBA to do the math but I think a furlong is longer
    A verst is 1.1km ie 2/3 of a mile acc to Google.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    South Africa seeing a 3rd wave....cases on the old exponential upwards path.
  • Options

I was born in 1975 too, must have been a good year for it. I use imperial measurements for only one thing: making pancakes (which I do every Sunday morning). But your recipe is a bit miserly on the eggs isn't it? Mine is 1 egg = 2 oz flour = 1/4pt milk.
    In general I think this imperial nostalgia is just another indicator of a country in decline.

Not really. Imperial measurements are just easier to use in many cases.

I use metric very little - even at work where everything is inches, feet, psi, barrels and pounds per gallon. I do like it for some things - actually measuring food for my diet is easier in metric but that is about all.

It means I am a damn sight better at mental arithmetic than almost all of my contemporaries and can easily switch back and forth between imperial and metric as desired.

I am teaching my son imperial alongside the metric he learns at school. Again I think it benefits him to be able to work in both. I would be just as annoyed about him not being able to work in metric units as I would about him being unable to work in imperial.
    I'm an engineer.

I use metric for mathematical calculations at my work, as base unit 10 is more efficient for this. It's more scientific and precision is essential.

However, I use imperial for estimating as I find it more "human" to gauge, especially because units in 12s or 16s are divisible by halfs, thirds, quarters and eights which is often helpful for splitting out ingredients or material quantities.

Also, it's just more interesting.
  • Options
    'A litre of water is a pint and three quarters'

'Two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram'

'A metre measures three foot three; it's bigger than a yard, you see'

These must have been effect, as I've never forgotten them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't have a problem with both.

But, I think it should be the choice of the trader.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

I don't think so. From the little I saw, of the series the winner's sewing was way ahead. Don't forget the title of the programme.
    She kept winning the pattern challenge, which is the best test of pure sowing ability. The other challenges also require creativity, and it took her a while to get into her stride with these. A worthy winner.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,871
    edited June 2021
    Disappointing that neither Labour or LDs voted against the extension of these measures.

Apart from anything else, there is overwhelming evidence of ongoing mismanagement from the government; including the material released by Dominic Cummings on the very eve of PMQs.

As I suggested a few days ago, Labour’s price should have been an immediate enquiry and greater transparency over SAGE’s data and deliberation.
  • Options

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, I've noticed that. Even amongst younger ones, though they keep it heavily under wraps here.

It's really weird.
    It's the South Africa version of the N-word.

Which back in the 1970s and 1980s was quite commonly heard among Whites in the US South, when Black people were NOT around. My guess is, less so today but still around.

BTW, in my own home county in WVa, which had just one Black resident when I was a kid, use of the N-word was pretty common, at least among boys at school. And there was a local landmark, on the map it was "Negro Hill" but in local parlance it was . . . take a wild guess.

PLUS when I was in high school, had a history teacher who was something of a local hippy (he endeared himself to my class, on a hot Spring day by taking off his tie and throwing it into the waste basket). Anyway, to supplement our textbook and our somewhat isolated position viz-a-viz modern mainstream, he mimeographed his own class notes on Natives, Blacks, Asians in American history. Which was quickly dubbed "N-word News" by the rowdier element of the class.

Though they liked the guy, and well all learned something semi-useful, I'm pretty sure!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,871
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

But if trader a wants to sell to customer b, what business is it of the state how they measure the goods being traded?
    None. Its now its *labelled* that is important.

Consistent and standard measures are a pretty fundamental pillar of consumer utility.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    edited June 2021
    geoffw said:

Not in the US though.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

AKA twenty fluid ounces.
  • Options

A scruple is 20 grains. There are 3 to the drachm.

And you wouldn’t pick a scruple of pickled peppers!
    So if you said, Boris Johnson has no scruples, you'd be wrong? Don't know PM's weight in grains (nor does he or even Carrie) but reckon it's more than a few scruples!
  • Options

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

Which back in the 1970s and 1980s was quite commonly heard among Whites in the US South, when Black people were NOT around. My guess is, less so today but still around.

BTW, in my own home county in WVa, which had just one Black resident when I was a kid, use of the N-word was pretty common, at least among boys at school. And there was a local landmark, on the map it was "Negro Hill" but in local parlance it was . . . take a wild guess.

PLUS when I was in high school, had a history teacher who was something of a local hippy (he endeared himself to my class, on a hot Spring day by taking off his tie and throwing it into the waste basket). Anyway, to supplement our textbook and our somewhat isolated position viz-a-viz modern mainstream, he mimeographed his own class notes on Natives, Blacks, Asians in American history. Which was quickly dubbed "N-word News" by the rowdier element of the class.

Though they liked the guy, and well all learned something semi-useful, I'm pretty sure!
    It's been taboo here my whole life. I've never heard anyone use it amongst my friends and family.

The only exception I can think of is the dog in the original Dambusters.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

It's been taboo here my whole life. I've never heard anyone use it amongst my friends and family.

Denzel Washington used it A LOT in "Training Day".
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

I couldn't care less, though the point of weights and measures regulations is to ensure people can know what they're paying for.

If a trader wants to sell to a customer food by a pound, but this trader defines a pound as 90% of what everyone else considers to be a pound then I guess you'd have an issue with that?
  • Options

If you think about it, we all do it.

Pubs serve 125ml, 175ml or 250ml glasses of wine - but no-one thinks like that. They ask for a small, medium or large wine and think in terms of bottles. For spirits, we think in "shots".

Same with steaks. They are "sold" in 8/10/12/14/16oz cuts in restaurants because we know we're creeping up on a pound of meat, which is significant.
  • Options

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

First time I used the N-word in my mother's presence, she told me, very motherly AND very seriously, that it was a VERY bad word, and why. Curbed my enthusiasm for colorful (ahem) language, which was the reason I was spouting it in the first place.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319

Disappointing that neither Labour or LDs voted against the extension of these measures.

Apart from anything else, there is overwhelming evidence of ongoing mismanagement from the government; including the material released by Dominic Cummings on the very eve of PMQs.

As I suggested a few days ago, Labour’s price should have been an immediate enquiry and greater transparency over SAGE’s data and deliberation.

I suspect Sir Keir is nervous of getting the reputation, as Ed Miliband did, of being an absurd figure who demands a 'judge-led inquiry' on every occasion. Ironically, for all Sir Keir's attempts to present himself as the grown up, constructive politician, Boris's spin machine has been massively successful at portraying him as Nit-Picker-in-Chief.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Except that Labour couldn't possibly utilise the regulations as a bargaining chip because it's nailed its colours to the lockdown mast. It has declared the extension to be necessary - the Government's fault, but necessary nonetheless.

However you feel about the continuation of the rules, Labour is an even more bossy, authoritarian and above all nannying party than the Tories. The Government could propose any number of extensions and Labour would still vote for them. It's never going to outflank the Conservatives on personal liberty.

You can't extract concessions by pretending that you'll withdraw support for them when it is patently obvious that you won't do that.
  • Options
    Zoe covid app now has a nice vaccine map....

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380

I was born in 1975 too, must have been a good year for it. I use imperial measurements for only one thing: making pancakes (which I do every Sunday morning). But your recipe is a bit miserly on the eggs isn't it? Mine is 1 egg = 2 oz flour = 1/4pt milk.
    In general I think this imperial nostalgia is just another indicator of a country in decline.

I use metric very little - even at work where everything is inches, feet, psi, barrels and pounds per gallon. I do like it for some things - actually measuring food for my diet is easier in metric but that is about all.

It means I am a damn sight better at mental arithmetic than almost all of my contemporaries and can easily switch back and forth between imperial and metric as desired.

I am teaching my son imperial alongside the metric he learns at school. Again I think it benefits him to be able to work in both. I would be just as annoyed about him not being able to work in metric units as I would about him being unable to work in imperial.
    I'm an engineer.

I use metric for mathematical calculations at my work, as base unit 10 is more efficient for this. It's more scientific and precision is essential.

However, I use imperial for estimating as I find it more "human" to gauge, especially because units in 12s or 16s are divisible by halfs, thirds, quarters and eights which is often helpful for splitting out ingredients or material quantities.

When I was a kid I had a thing for WW1 and WW2 warships, so I basically taught myself the imperial and metric for various battleship guns by heart.

So, without Googling, I can tell you:

18 inches = 457 mm
    16 inches = 406 mm
    15 inches = 381 mm
    14 inches = 356 mm
    13.5 inches = 343 mm*
    13 inches = 330 mm
    12 inches = 305 mm
    11 inches = 279 mm
    10 inches = 254 mm

* for some reason, the RN used a calibre of 13.5 inches for the big guns on many of its WW1 dreadnoughts.
  • Options
    I have a folder full of various bits of paper, booklets, etc. to assist with unit conversion.

So, for example, if I start with 1 tonne of LNG I can convert to:

Cubic metres of LNG
    Standard cubic metres of gas
    Normal cubic metres of gas
    Standard cubic feet (scuffs) of gas
    kJ of gas (lower heating value basis)
    kJ of gas (higher heating value basis)
    Therms of gas

Etc.

The industry has moved on, and we've had to create the equivalent for hydrogen now.
  • Options

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

I have hardly heard the N word in Britain. Much more frequent were the W word and P word, but also a range of other terms.

I don't often hear that sort of overt racism nowadays.
  • Options

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

Denzel Washington used it A LOT in "Training Day".
    Use of the N-word by African Americans is a whole different ballgame. One best NOT engaged in by non-African Americans. Unless of course you REALLY wanna get beaned.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

She kept winning the pattern challenge, which is the best test of pure sowing ability. The other challenges also require creativity, and it took her a while to get into her stride with these. A worthy winner.
    No argument from me. On that 60 minutes of show, it was so tight and if the judges had to separate on count back then it was going to be Serena every time. But Raph had the design stuff again, which given his profession does figure, and given the judges' liking for that stuff he probably only missed out by an (imperial) short hem , and with barely anything in it on execution, personally I just preferred Rebecca's showstopper to the Villanelle schtick once more.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

Kafir is originally Arabic for non believer (in islam), so an odd migration. Kaffir lime is the standard name for the plant, not a bit of rebadging by waitrose. I think it is used by afrikaaners (offensively) to mean inferior; there's an inedible fruit which grows on s African road verges called the kaffir melon. Cf horse in English - horse chestnut, horse mushroom etc.
  • Options

I'm an engineer.

When I was a kid I had a thing for WW1 and WW2 warships, so I basically taught myself the imperial and metric for various battleship guns by heart.

18 inches = 457 mm
    16 inches = 406 mm
    15 inches = 381 mm
    14 inches = 356 mm
    13.5 inches = 343 mm*
    13 inches = 330 mm
    12 inches = 305 mm
    11 inches = 279 mm
    10 inches = 254 mm

* for some reason, the RN used a calibre of 13.5 inches for the big guns on many of its WW1 dreadnoughts.
    That's very you.

Please don't tell girls this on your first date.
  • Options

I'm an engineer.

18 inches = 457 mm
    16 inches = 406 mm
    15 inches = 381 mm
    14 inches = 356 mm
    13.5 inches = 343 mm*
    13 inches = 330 mm
    12 inches = 305 mm
    11 inches = 279 mm
    10 inches = 254 mm

I've got a variation on that:

4 inches = 'Oh!'
    6 inches = 'Oo!'
    8 inches = 'Oooh! '
    10 inches = 'Ouch!'
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

Kafir is originally Arabic for non believer (in islam), so an odd migration. Kaffir lime is the standard name for the plant, not a bit of rebadging by waitrose. I think it is used by afrikaaners (offensively) to mean inferior; there's an inedible fruit which grows on s African road verges called the kaffir melon. Cf horse in English - horse chestnut, horse mushroom etc.
    I don't think I've commented on the Waitrose issue but it seems to me that some people are looking to take offence.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

I'm an engineer.

18 inches = 457 mm
    16 inches = 406 mm
    15 inches = 381 mm
    14 inches = 356 mm
    13.5 inches = 343 mm*
    13 inches = 330 mm
    12 inches = 305 mm
    11 inches = 279 mm
    10 inches = 254 mm

4 inches = 'Oh!'
    6 inches = 'Oo!'
    8 inches = 'Oooh! '
    10 inches = 'Ouch!'
    I assume those are the reactions of the enemy battleship when it gets hit by a round of each of those calibres?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Black fungus spreading in India....covid plus pre-diabetic become diabetic after covid and huge use of steroids.

https://youtu.be/SlPNpt6MhF4
  • Options

I'm an engineer.

18 inches = 457 mm
    16 inches = 406 mm
    15 inches = 381 mm
    14 inches = 356 mm
    13.5 inches = 343 mm*
    13 inches = 330 mm
    12 inches = 305 mm
    11 inches = 279 mm
    10 inches = 254 mm

4 inches = 'Oh!'
    6 inches = 'Oo!'
    8 inches = 'Oooh! '
    10 inches = 'Ouch!'
    2 inches = 'Uh? Oh.'
  • Options

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

I couldn't care less, though the point of weights and measures regulations is to ensure people can know what they're paying for.

If a trader wants to sell to a customer food by a pound, but this trader defines a pound as 90% of what everyone else considers to be a pound then I guess you'd have an issue with that?
    Indeed. Weights and measures was one of the very first things States took it upon themselves to regulate.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
    Ironically, that is the great strength of imperial. Because it mostly uses base 16 - the pointless stone being a dazzling exception* - it divides very easily into halves and quarters, and keeps on neatly dividing up.

Metric, on the other hand, is a ripe bastard to divide into anything beyond quarters.

*The slightly less pointless furlong would be another example. Should be 1600 yards to the mile, rather than 8 furlongs so 1760. But 1760 is still - just about - base 16.
    Yeah. But the yard isn't.
    No, although inches are.
    It makes no sense.
    The yard is the distance from the tip of adult man’s nose to his outstretched thumb.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,691

As did Gove
    Freedom Day, celebrating freedom from Conservative control over our lives...
  • Options

I'm an engineer.

18 inches = 457 mm
    16 inches = 406 mm
    15 inches = 381 mm
    14 inches = 356 mm
    13.5 inches = 343 mm*
    13 inches = 330 mm
    12 inches = 305 mm
    11 inches = 279 mm
    10 inches = 254 mm

4 inches = 'Oh!'
    6 inches = 'Oo!'
    8 inches = 'Oooh! '
    10 inches = 'Ouch!'
    Given Sunil is on about internal diameters, you may need to recalibrate your units here ;)
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

No argument from me. On that 60 minutes of show, it was so tight and if the judges had to separate on count back then it was going to be Serena every time. But Raph had the design stuff again, which given his profession does figure, and given the judges' liking for that stuff he probably only missed out by an (imperial) short hem , and with barely anything in it on execution, personally I just preferred Rebecca's showstopper to the Villanelle schtick once more.
    I liked the style of Rebecca's dress, and it was a great fit on her friend, but I wasn't keen on the choice of fabric.

Serena's was fun, and the execution and attention to detail spot on.

As you say, Raph is naturally very creative and produced some great garments over the series.

A very high standard across the three of them.
  • Options
    Just checked the weather forecast for north Devon next week, when I'll be on holiday: rain all week.

Fuxsake.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

Term "kaffir"in South Africa arose because the earliest non-Whites brought to the Cape of Good Hope by the Dutch as slaves/servants, were Muslims from the East Indies; from the Dutch point of view, these people were the un-believers, so they hurled their own epithet against them - an early example of cultural appropriation.

Over time, the K-word morphed to mean Blacks in general, regardless of religion, even those who embraced Christianity.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's really weird.

But not horseradish, which gets its name from its resemblance to a huge equine dong.
  • Options
    Can’t win em all:

The 3rd mRNA vaccine by CureVac reports a disappointing 47% efficacy in interim results. However, 13 variants caused cases of #COVID19 in the trial, with only a single case of original strain. More than half of the cases were variants of concern in trial

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1405280590618763264?s=20
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
    Ironically, that is the great strength of imperial. Because it mostly uses base 16 - the pointless stone being a dazzling exception* - it divides very easily into halves and quarters, and keeps on neatly dividing up.

Metric, on the other hand, is a ripe bastard to divide into anything beyond quarters.

*The slightly less pointless furlong would be another example. Should be 1600 yards to the mile, rather than 8 furlongs so 1760. But 1760 is still - just about - base 16.
    Yeah. But the yard isn't.
    No, although inches are.
    It makes no sense.
    The yard is the distance from the tip of adult man’s nose to his outstretched thumb.
    How tall is he?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Serena!

I liked the style of Rebecca's dress, and it was a great fit on her friend, but I wasn't keen on the choice of fabric.

Serena's was fun, and the execution and attention to detail spot on.

As you say, Raph is naturally very creative and produced some great garments over the series.

A very high standard across the three of them.
    What is the name of this show, it sounds great. Wouldn't be surprised if it follows the Great British Bakeoff over to these shores.
  • Options

Just checked the weather forecast for north Devon next week, when I'll be on holiday: rain all week.

Fuxsake.

The South West only delivers for world leaders.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,850
    My final prediction for the Chesham & Amersham by-election:

LD 43.3%
    Con 43.2%
    Reform 6.8%
    Lab 3.6%
    Grn 2.2%
    Rejoin 0.4%
    Freedom Alliance 0.3%
    Breakthrough 0.1%

Turnout 58%

LD gain from Con
  • Options

One irony is that the whole debate about imperial and metric is really something that belongs in the past.

If you see something in one unit of measurement and you wanted it in another it takes a few seconds to pull your phone out and get Google to convert it. So it doesn't matter in 2021 what unit is used, as a few seconds later it's converted.

I got a new cookbook this week which is clearly American. A recipe said to set the oven to 350 which is meaningless to me so I said "Alexa, what is 350 Farenheit in Celsius", she told me, I set the oven to that.

Or you could subtract 32, divide by 9 and multiple by 5.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I'm only slightly older and understand imperial pretty well, as well as metric.
    You don't though. How many inches in a mile? (I'd guess you don't know)

I really don't know either (I can work it out). I do know how many centimeters there are in a kilometer though.

Imperial measures are tricky to fathom, and are miles out of date.

I’m out of my depth with fathoms
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119

Fuxsake.

At this time of year, even when it's forecast to rain, the majority of the day is still quite likely to be sunny.
This discussion has been closed.