Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Rise (and Fall?) of Cressida Dick – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

tlg86 said:

MPs vote 461:60 in favour of extending lockdown.

Assuming that the Noes are all or almost all Tory, that's evidently more than enough to erase than the Government's majority on a vote where the Opposition aren't propping it up.

Will there need to be a binding vote at some point on the foreign aid cut? If the Government's MPs are feeling that rebellious then it could easily be lost (albeit that, yes, it won't be the same group kicking up a fuss.)
    There were 76 Noes in March.
    They were far from all or almost all Tories.
    ISTR, a motley collection of libertarian Tories, Corbynites and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

It would be interesting to know if people in the pubs in Hereford this evening was cheering for Wales, despite the town being in England, near the Welsh border.

Definitely, definitely not. There is a quiet dislike of the Welsh, in much of Hereford. I’m not sure why, but it is the culture, perhaps an inheritance from the warlike past, when the Marches were militarised to keep the Taffs at bay
    I’m aware of people who regard the word ‘Taffs’ as offensive as, for example ‘Paki’.

And if you think that’s ‘woke’, just reflect.
    Twats
    Not at all. 'Taff' is undoubtedly a nickname. 'Paki' really can be a legitimate abbreviation - although I'd concede it's never used that way. 'Nips' for the Japanese is similar.

One day I hope to be able to cheer on the nations concerned when I've backed them in some sport under those monikers, but I'm sure that is unfortunately some way off.

There's truth in the sticks-and-stones rhyme, but it'll take a while to get back to that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.

A replacement, or alongside? The two are quite different.
    “Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
    Given that no bugger under 50 understands them why would they do that?
    Ah yes of course. Silly me.
    So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
    Ironically, that is the great strength of imperial. Because it mostly uses base 16 - the pointless stone being a dazzling exception* - it divides very easily into halves and quarters, and keeps on neatly dividing up.

Metric, on the other hand, is a ripe bastard to divide into anything beyond quarters.

*The slightly less pointless furlong would be another example. Should be 1600 yards to the mile, rather than 8 furlongs so 1760. But 1760 is still - just about - base 16.
    Yeah. But the yard isn't.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    On Italy -0.5&-1 AH @ 1.99

We’ll see if my run of form continues!!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.

“Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
    So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
    Ironically, that is the great strength of imperial. Because it mostly uses base 16 - the pointless stone being a dazzling exception* - it divides very easily into halves and quarters, and keeps on neatly dividing up.

Metric, on the other hand, is a ripe bastard to divide into anything beyond quarters.

*The slightly less pointless furlong would be another example. Should be 1600 yards to the mile, rather than 8 furlongs so 1760. But 1760 is still - just about - base 16.
    No, although inches are.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

No, although inches are.
    It makes no sense.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429
    Drinking Bride Valley English Chardonnay. From Dorset. It’s excellent. Who knew?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Drinking Bride Valley English Chardonnay. From Dorset. It’s excellent. Who knew?

By the pint or the litre?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @isam

See any value in the euro markets?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

Yessssssss brilliant Wales

da iawn

“ da iawn “

They are jive talking in da valley tonight.
    Dych chi ddim yn licio Gymraeg ar y sgwrs hwn?
    Betting post. It may be a long odds double, but Wales to win the Euro’s and Tour de France is not impossible.

Are you one of the teacher’s who want all children covid jabbed.

PS. It’s not that I don’t like it, and it’s all translatable via google, I don’t think I have heard it from Big G before.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,974
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

It would be interesting to know if people in the pubs in Hereford this evening was cheering for Wales, despite the town being in England, near the Welsh border.

Definitely, definitely not. There is a quiet dislike of the Welsh, in much of Hereford. I’m not sure why, but it is the culture, perhaps an inheritance from the warlike past, when the Marches were militarised to keep the Taffs at bay
    I’m aware of people who regard the word ‘Taffs’ as offensive as, for example ‘Paki’.

Twats
    Not at all. 'Taff' is undoubtedly a nickname. 'Paki' really can be a legitimate abbreviation - although I'd concede it's never used that way. 'Nips' for the Japanese is similar.

One day I hope to be able to cheer on the nations concerned when I've backed them in some sport under those monikers, but I'm sure that is unfortunately some way off.

There's truth in the sticks-and-stones rhyme, but it'll take a while to get back to that.
    When I was about 5 I won a goldfish at the fair, and because England had lost 4-1 to Wales that day, we called it Taffy
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    FPT:
    rcs1000 said:

With all due respect, hospitalizations isn't the issue, it's number in hospital. And that's up about 15% in the last week. People simply aren't being hospitalized for long and that's a massive change.

rcs1000 said:

This board was in favour of restrictions on flights from India, and also forecast that the Delta "blip" would soon burn itself out.

I think both those beliefs were correct.

I don't really see why the delta variant would be a blip... that just seems like wishful thinking to be frank.
    And numbers in hospital are up 21% in England where we have the most recent data.

I think this could get bad pretty fast -> although it is encouraging that case growth seems to have slowed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    ydoethur said:

With Dick, I am less concerned about the shooting of de Menezes - very tragic though it was - than the way the Met handled it.

Everyone was tense, everyone was on edge. A suicide bombing and a further, failed suicide bombing. A suspect on the tube.

If the Met had held their hands up, admitted the whole thing was a dreadful mistake that cost an innocent man his life, and apologised, I think we would all have felt sympathy for them. Not as much as for the unfortunate de Menezes, but a great deal.

Instead, under Dick’s own orders, officers:
    1) Lied about their methods of identification
    2) Lied about what procedures were followed when the suspect was under surveillance;
    3) Lied about the identity of the victim;
    4) Lied about the events of the actual shooting;
    5) Lied about the aftermath.

All of a piece with Dick’s behaviour elsewhere that @Cyclefree notes.

It’s cowardice and criminality. Somebody who hasn’t the courage or integrity to face their failures.

That’s why she should have been dismissed after the inquest, not promoted, and certainly not when she finally retired have been brought back as Commissioner.

Too many like her in senior public roles though. Don’t get me started on the vile Amanda Spielman...

I remember my immediate reaction when I heard about the shooting

"I hope to heck they've got the right guy"
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

Fe fyddan nhw'n dawnsio yn strydoedd Wrecsam heno

As an Englishman living in Wales I'm ecstatic that Wales won. I will now check whether therte's a chance they'll meet before the final!
  • Options
    Leon said:

I had some 'Davenport, Horsmorden Dry' the other day - Bacchus grape it turns out. Really outstanding. English (or perhaps more generally British) wine and particularly white wine is really going to be a big thing. (I doubt we'll forget the French though)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,251
    rkrkrk said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

With all due respect, hospitalizations isn't the issue, it's number in hospital. And that's up about 15% in the last week. People simply aren't being hospitalized for long and that's a massive change.

rcs1000 said:

This board was in favour of restrictions on flights from India, and also forecast that the Delta "blip" would soon burn itself out.

I think both those beliefs were correct.

I don't really see why the delta variant would be a blip... that just seems like wishful thinking to be frank.
    And numbers in hospital are up 21% in England where we have the most recent data.

I think this could get bad pretty fast -> although it is encouraging that case growth seems to have slowed.
    The slowing of the growth in cases is the key point. It’s already not taking off at a rate of knots. Combined with much slower growth of patients in hospital who are on the whole less sick, we are in a better position than described on Monday evening.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Twats

When I was about 5 I won a goldfish at the fair, and because England had lost 4-1 to Wales that day, we called it Taffy
    A glorious golden example of how these names aren't always pejorative.

Edit: aren't rather than are!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

Betting post. It may be a long odds double, but Wales to win the Euro’s and Tour de France is not impossible.

Are you one of the teacher’s who want all children covid jabbed.

PS. It’s not that I don’t like it, and it’s all translatable via google, I don’t think I have heard it from Big G before.
    It’s another subject on which I have no strong feelings, if I am honest. I think my question is:

When the adult population is vaccinated, will we be ditching the quarantine requirements for contacts?

If the answer to that question is ‘no’ we clearly need to vaccinate quick sharp or we’ll either have these ludicrous restrictions kept in place or continuing massive disruption to teaching - or both.

If yes, then I would say the only real value in vaccinating teenagers is if it confers lifelong immunity, which of course is currently unknown and unknowable.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    Thoughts and prayers for Everton fans.

They are about to get an awesome manager and human being.

Rafael Benitez likely to be named Everton manager

Nuno Espirito Santo appeared to be the favourite last week but now former Liverpool manager Benitez is in pole position

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/06/16/rafael-benitez-likely-named-everton-manager/
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

I had some 'Davenport, Horsmorden Dry' the other day - Bacchus grape it turns out. Really outstanding. English (or perhaps more generally British) wine and particularly white wine is really going to be a big thing. (I doubt we'll forget the French though)
    Yes. I was talking to a wine dude in Essex yesterday. He was absolutely convinced England will be producing world class whites within 5 years. Not plonk, not even good restaurant wine, but some of the best of its type in the world. We already do that with English fizz
  • Options

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

As an Englishman living in Wales I'm ecstatic that Wales won. I will now check whether therte's a chance they'll meet before the final!
    I’ve got to say that sounds like a high risk activity...
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Assuming that the Noes are all or almost all Tory, that's evidently more than enough to erase than the Government's majority on a vote where the Opposition aren't propping it up.

Will there need to be a binding vote at some point on the foreign aid cut? If the Government's MPs are feeling that rebellious then it could easily be lost (albeit that, yes, it won't be the same group kicking up a fuss.)
    There were 76 Noes in March.
    They were far from all or almost all Tories.
    ISTR, a motley collection of libertarian Tories, Corbynites and the Lib Dems.
    Found it. March. 76 Noes to extending Covid restrictions.

35 Con. 21 Lab 10 LD 7 DUP 1 Alliance, Caroline Lucas and Jezza (Ind.).
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again, I wonder if the continued restrictions on foreign travel are, in part, a rather clever economic scheme to divert all of our tourist spending - which must be billions - to the needy and suffering UK hospitality sector, for a summer

In that respect I kinda approve of it

And since we're finding lots of Delta cases because we're testing more than anyone else in Europe (and our overall positivity rate is still low) and doing more sequencing than all of Europe - so we know what we've got (unlike most of them) chances are they won't let us in "to keep out the Delta variant (which is there already)....
  • Options
    How nice it is to sit in a lovely English restaurant and eat superb English crab and excellent English skate and all of it washed down with brilliant English wine

Brexit: the meal
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.
    At the age of 38 I haven't got the foggiest how imperial works.

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
    All the proposal is is the decriminalisation of offering things for sale by the pound, ounce etc. This will apply mostly to selling bananas in market stalls in north of England.

No-one truly thinks it should be a crime do they?

It should be compulsory to display the metric measure besides.

Otherwise it’s just confusion for consumers.
    I was born in 1975. Yet I still think mostly in imperial. Particularly for food. I can manage metric, sure, but generally only by a quick conversion to imperial.
    It's not onerous. But nor is 8t obvious that displaying imperial rather than metric is inherently confusing to the customer.

How do you make pancake batter? 1 egg, four ounces of flour, half a pint of milk. How do people who think in metric do it? I'm not saying the metric measurements can't be memorised of course. But I'm surprised that anyone who cooks uses metric measurements instinctively.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

It’s not that I don’t like it, and it’s all translatable via google, Now if I can say this very carefully so I can get away with it, but it’s true isn’t it, the Welsh spoken today is not historical Welsh?

Many years ago a panel of experts on Radio 4 all agreed the Welsh today was invented by a Professor (recall the debate not the name) not more than 100 years ago - and in terms of complexity Tolkien managed a better effort with his Elvish languages. That actual Welsh language is long gone - even practicing Druid’s today who have next to no idea what Druid’s really believed and practiced have more knowledge of Druidism than the Welsh do of the old Welsh language before the modern invention.

This is pretty accurate in’t it?
  • Options
    VompVomp Posts: 36
    edited June 2021
    My Daily Express-reading octagenarian neighbour was hopeful that a victory for Leave would bring the return of imperial units. I mean seriously, doesn't everybody think of a third of a pound as six and eightpence? And the Moon landings used imperial units. There was none of that modern "metric" stuff at NASA. (OK she didn't mention the Moon landings.)

Incidentally a big figure in the Anti-Metrication Board was John Michell the "radical traditionalist" who was keen on the writings of the ultra-rightist Julius Evola.

Someone like William Blake would have kept well away from that scene.

The thing about metric is it's based on the same unit commonly used to represent integers using "places". If someone is in love with 16 they should call for a mile to be viewed not as 16 half-furlongs but as 10 of them, where "10" is written in base 16.

But why not use 12 if you want more scope when divvying things up?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Leon said:

How nice it is to sit in a lovely English restaurant and eat superb English crab and excellent English skate and all of it washed down with brilliant English wine

Something something Brexit: the bill.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I misread that as ‘English crap.’
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

It’s not that I don’t like it, and it’s all translatable via google, Now if I can say this very carefully so I can get away with it, but it’s true isn’t it, the Welsh spoken today is not historical Welsh?

Many years ago a panel of experts on Radio 4 all agreed the Welsh today was invented by a Professor (recall the debate not the name) not more than 100 years ago - and in terms of complexity Tolkien managed a better effort with his Elvish languages. That actual Welsh language is long gone - even practicing Druid’s today who have next to no idea what Druid’s really believed and practiced have more knowledge of Welsh than the Welsh do of the old Welsh language before the modern invention.

No.

Edit - in terms of Druids, or the Gorsedd to give them their correct title, they are a recent invention by an eighteenth century stonemason and poet called Edward Williams. Not really relevant to the language debate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Freebie. Dildo Knappers Gazette
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

It was from a quote from a scottish tv presenter after Raith Rovers beat Celtic in the cup once, They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight....(spot the mistake).
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Freebie. Dildo Knappers Gazette
    I tend not to read the travel section. I should give it a go.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

It was from a quote from a scottish tv presenter after Raith Rovers beat Celtic in the cup once, They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight....(spot the mistake).
    Well, yes, I got the reference - I would just never dare dance in the streets of Wrexham.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
    All the proposal is is the decriminalisation of offering things for sale by the pound, ounce etc. This will apply mostly to selling bananas in market stalls in north of England.

I was born in 1975. Yet I still think mostly in imperial. Particularly for food. I can manage metric, sure, but generally only by a quick conversion to imperial.
    It's not onerous. But nor is 8t obvious that displaying imperial rather than metric is inherently confusing to the customer.

How do you make pancake batter? 1 egg, four ounces of flour, half a pint of milk. How do people who think in metric do it? I'm not saying the metric measurements can't be memorised of course. But I'm surprised that anyone who cooks uses metric measurements instinctively.
    Imperial measures are metric, anyway. A pound is defined in grams.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I do. In grammes.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

Nuno Espirito Santo appeared to be the favourite last week but now former Liverpool manager Benitez is in pole position

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/06/16/rafael-benitez-likely-named-everton-manager/

:'(
  • Options
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Eh?

I was born in 1992 and I use grams and millilitres like the rest of the civilised world.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Yes. I was talking to a wine dude in Essex yesterday. He was absolutely convinced England will be producing world class whites within 5 years. Not plonk, not even good restaurant wine, but some of the best of its type in the world. We already do that with English fizz
    Some of my favourite cheeses are English now too. Tunworth for example, but also Alex Thingys stuff called Goddess, which is now rebranded as 'Somerset Solstice' apparently. I've not been able to find a handy source since the rebranding. (Obviously all the other great British cheeses are not forgotten. I've a bit of a thing for double-Gloucester recently)
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Feel your pain, I really do.

We had truly shit owners that sucked the life out of the club which led to the departure of Rafa.

Then replaced him with Roy Hodgson.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,974
    edited June 2021
    ping said:

@isam

I have had quite a poor start to this tournament, but Immobile 3.3 anytime scorer is worth a small bet on BF Exchange here I think

Mind you I backed Eriksen to score, he nearly died, and wasn't on the pitch to take the pen, Morata to score and he missed the easiest chance of the tournament, and Bale today who missed a pen, so be warned
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    GB News giving a platform to the WASPI women. :angry:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ok, everyone needs to boycott that channel.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,826

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I'm only slightly older and understand imperial pretty well, as well as metric.
  • Options
    Why the UK is showing as having lots of positive cases vs other European countries:

Perhaps because we're finding them:

Meanwhile, our positivity rate is still the lowest:

So, go ahead EU - keep us out if you like (you'll be doing us a favour) - but I doubt ignorance is bliss....

• Options

tlg86 said:

Ok, everyone needs to boycott that channel.
    After Sunak has been taken to pieces.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Is this related to global warming? England had a strong wine industry in a medieval period when it had a warmer period I understand.

But global warming means climate change and a warmer but wetter UK summer would be no good for vineyards would it?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anyone got a list of the 60 rebels?
  • Options

Feel your pain, I really do.

We had truly shit owners that sucked the life out of the club which led to the departure of Rafa.

Then replaced him with Roy Hodgson.
    Will be fascinating to see how he goes with some proper money to spend. ;)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    One irony is that the whole debate about imperial and metric is really something that belongs in the past.

If you see something in one unit of measurement and you wanted it in another it takes a few seconds to pull your phone out and get Google to convert it. So it doesn't matter in 2021 what unit is used, as a few seconds later it's converted.

I got a new cookbook this week which is clearly American. A recipe said to set the oven to 350 which is meaningless to me so I said "Alexa, what is 350 Farenheit in Celsius", she told me, I set the oven to that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

I was astonished to hear both Theresa May and Sadiq Khan give Dick their full confidence

Hardly surprising. They're both over-promoted incompetents too.

I met Cressida Dick when doing interesting work for the Met Director of Intelligence. Can’t say anything about the work itself, but one moment which amused me and, perhaps, says a lot about the culture at the time. Waiting for a meeting, I picked up a glossy magazine from a stack on the coffee table titled MQ. Ah, must be Met Quarterly I thought… worth a look to see what’s happening. Wrong, Masonic Quarterly… seemingly the coffee break reading of choice.

There is a section in the report on Freemasonry and the police.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak about to be interviewed on GB News.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

You don't though. How many inches in a mile? (I'd guess you don't know)

I really don't know either (I can work it out). I do know how many centimeters there are in a kilometer though.

Imperial measures are tricky to fathom, and are miles out of date.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

ping said:

@isam

I have had quite a poor start to this tournament, but Immobile 3.3 anytime scorer is worth a small bet on BF Exchange here I think

Mind you I backed Eriksen to score, he nearly died, and wasn't on the pitch to take the pen, Morata to score and he missed the easiest chance of the tournament, and Bale today who missed a pen, so be warned
    Cheers

I’m on for a modest stake!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited June 2021
    Neil surely wrong.

"If interest rates go to 1%, Govt interest will rise from £40bn to £80bn."

That can't be right - would imply debt of £8 trillion (if all at 1%).

He's not allowing for fact that chunk of debt is at old rates higher than 1% - and interest on that chunk will stay the same even if interest rates rise (until it matures).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Cressida Dick has to be a pseudonym. I think she's a creation of Private Eye
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I really don't know either (I can work it out). I do know how many centimeters there are in a kilometer though.

None, because centimetres are not technically a valid measurement.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Yes, just as people benefit intellectually from being bilingual, so they would also benefit from knowing about, and converting between, two systems of weights and measures.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

Many years ago a panel of experts on Radio 4 all agreed the Welsh today was invented by a Professor (recall the debate not the name) not more than 100 years ago - and in terms of complexity Tolkien managed a better effort with his Elvish languages. That actual Welsh language is long gone - even practicing Druid’s today who have next to no idea what Druid’s really believed and practiced have more knowledge of Welsh than the Welsh do of the old Welsh language before the modern invention.

No.

Edit - in terms of Druids, or the Gorsedd to give them their correct title, they are a recent invention by an eighteenth century stonemason and poet called Edward Williams. Not really relevant to the language debate.
    I used the reinvention of Gorseddism as metaphor, as example, but a good example as the reinvention of Welsh language used today is much the same thing isn’t it, a recent reinvention by a sub par Professor Tolkien?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Neil surely wrong.

That can't be right - would imply debt of £8 trillion.

He's not allowing for fact that chunk of debt is at old rates higher than 1%.

Also, our debt is pretty long dated isn’t it?

At least relative to historical norms - and vs. internationally.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,318
    My mum, a devoted Boris fan, was asking about GB News. Should I recommend it? If it contains wall-to-wall praise of Boris, then she'll probably enjoy it. If it's a bit anti however - libertarian, lockdown critical etc. - then it'll make her grumpy. What should I suggest?
  • Options
    VompVomp Posts: 36
    Very mixed messaging is coming across now in the press regarding runny noses, hayfever, and SARSCoV2.

I have stopped listening to anyone who calls either SARSCoV2 or Covid-19 "coronavirus" without an article, as this GP does, a "lead physician at BUPA".

In the Daily Express, there's this.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cressida Dick has to be a pseudonym. I think she's a creation of Private Eye

Commander Cressida Dick is an anagram of Crack an odd crime? I'd mess.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

centi = 1/100th in the system and metres are a standard definition. Do point out my error.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Yes, just as people benefit intellectually from being bilingual, so they would also benefit from knowing about, and converting between, two systems of weights and measures.
    Lol. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    No soft pedalling from Andrew Neil.....and getting a grilling on the triple lock.....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    MikeL said:

Neil surely wrong.

That can't be right - would imply debt of £8 trillion (if all at 1%).

He's not allowing for fact that chunk of debt is at old rates higher than 1%.

There's a lot of debt that is index linked and will carry higher interest rates.

However, on the flip side a lot of the gilt stock is now held by the Bank of England which pays the treasury any interest it receives so interest rates rising to any amount won't really impact that portion of gilts by very much (there is a tiny fee the BoE pays to whoever they bought the gilt from).

The net payable interest to external parties probably won't go up by very much even if interest rates do rise. The chancellor won't be able to say any of this though as most government's try not to acknowledge self financing of deficits by their central banks.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

centi = 1/100th in the system and metres are a standard definition. Do point out my error.
    I think ydoethur made a boo boo.

Centimeter is not a valid unit of measurement, centimetre is though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Cressida Dick? Sounds like a venereal disease! :lol:
  • Options
    Oh my days. Cleo Torez gets a mention before the watershed #GBNews

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1405242022223663105?s=20
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    Does anything truly think that allowing traders to pick their own measurement system for display, willy nilly*, will unlock economic growth?

*Not a Cressida Dick reference.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
    Time is an interesting one, a day is the time it takes the earth to perform a rotation (solar day) to within well half a millisecond.
    Then a true year is a bit over 365 days, we get to that exactly by occasionally adding a day every 4 years but not every hundred, except every 400.
    Months broadly correspond to the lunar cycle, the present system was fitted by Julius and Augustus (Who both renamed a month each for themselves) Caesar to fit 12 months to a year; which broadly matches more ancient calendars all of which go for 12 months
    There are 12.368267 lunations in a year.

The week is so far as I can tell an entirely abrahamic religious concept and not celestially related at all. Less "natural" than a day, month or year all of which are based on orbits of the sun, moon and earth.

Hours, minutes and seconds are again human concepts influenced by astronomy, religion and the militaries of antiquity which have become globally dominant - other subdivisions of time are available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_units_of_time ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_timekeeping

Because of the true inherent values of 12.36 months in a year; 365.25 days in a year 29.53 days in a month it would be unnatural to form it all to base 10. I wonder if we were starting now would we go for 10 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour and 100 seconds in a minute; 1000 degrees in a circle..... ;) ?
  • Options

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Ah yes- I mis-typed. Odd though that it's kilometer rather than kilometre in usual usage.

• Options
    gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

No.

I used the reinvention of Gorseddism as metaphor, as example, but a good example as the reinvention of Welsh language used today is much the same thing isn’t it, a recent reinvention by a sub par Professor Tolkien?
    No. It is not.

I have no idea where you are getting this idea from, but you are completely wrong. It was the common language of the majority of Welsh people until the First World War era. Not until 1870 when education was in English did that even start to change. Not until the mass call ups of the First World War and the turbulence of the Depression did English begin to seriously erode Welsh as the common language.

Previously, schooling had been done (for over a hundred years) by means of what was called the ‘circulating schools’ attached to the Methodist church teaching people to read (particularly) in Welsh. It was one of the most literate societies in the world, but few could speak or read English. Their learned societies based in London published works in Welsh that are perfectly recognisable to Welsh speakers today. Some of them were even named in Welsh (the Cymrodorion spring to mind). Whole universities were founded in the nineteenth century - Lampeter (1822) Carmarthen (1848) and Aberystwyth (1871) to teach through the medium of Welsh, for the simple reason that was the only language the population understood. Heck, the only Welsh PM (who left office 99 years ago) was actually born in England but his first language was Welsh. In 1919 he and his secretary Tom Jones (not that one!) had phone conversations in Welsh to keep all their negotiating strategy secret from eavesdroppers. In 1865 a Welsh group left for Argentina to found Y Wladfa, and their language is still perfectly comprehensible to modern Welsh speakers.

It is true that Welsh has become more formalised and standardised in the last hundred years, but the same is very true of English. And yet I as a researcher in nineteenth century history had no problem reading manuscripts in it. Or German - indeed, the German script has changed so dramatically since the 1940s you could call it a new form of written language, but again, I am sure the good Dr Palmer would have no trouble understanding the spoken form from a hundred years ago.

So I honestly don’t know who your experts were, but they were talking complete and utter nonsense.

I am assuming the professor in question was Sir Albert Jones-Evans, who under his Bardic name Cynan was Wales’ greatest First World War poet and Archdruid for years. But the idea he invented the language? Simply not correct.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Italians in front

Edit VAR no goal

Booo!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,489

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Why the flip would anyone care how many centimetres are in a kilometre, even if it is trivial to calculate? We should leave things as they are now, with imperial measurements for things we use everyday, and SI for scientists, except for all those scientists who don't use SI because the units are too big or too small.

Look at what happens when people try to use SI units. For weight, we talk about kilos rather than kilograms, and use kilometres (mispronounced: it should be killer-metres, not with the emphasis on the "o") rather than metres for everything except the Olympics.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Ah yes- I mis-typed. Odd though that it's kilometer rather than kilometre in usual usage.

No, it's kilometre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometre
  • Options
    Researching Dorset’s Bride Valley wine I discover the vineyard owner is the famous Steven Spurrier, who organised the iconic 1975 ‘judgment of Paris’ where French wine was first dethroned by California

https://www.decanter.com/features/bride-valley-spurrier-s-vineyard-245555/

That’s quite a pointed wine irony
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Will Dick Spring a surprise?

(Number one in a series of posts in which the name of a politician is craftily hidden within the text.)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

That's the americanised version.

It's metre and kilometre in English AFAIK.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Does anything truly think that allowing traders to pick their own measurement system for display, willy nilly*, will unlock economic growth?

*Not a Cressida Dick reference.

Not spending time inspecting, arresting and charging, will be of a benefit to both them and to to the taxpayer,

it will only be the most miniscule benefit, but yes a benefit,

Thant's the thing about regulations, with a few exceptions, each one on their own seems so small to be insignificant, but in aggregate they add up.
  • Options
    LONDON — The European Union decided Wednesday to add the United States to its safe travel list, meaning it will be easier for American citizens to take a vacation in one of the 27 member states, two EU sources have confirmed to CNBC.....

One notable absence from the exemption list is the United Kingdom, where almost half of the population is currently fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.

One EU official, who did not want to be named due to the sensitivity of the subject, said nonessential travel from the U.K. remains banned “due to the delta variant.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/16/covid-european-union-adds-the-us-to-its-safe-travel-list.html
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I was born in 1975 too, must have been a good year for it. I use imperial measurements for only one thing: making pancakes (which I do every Sunday morning). But your recipe is a bit miserly on the eggs isn't it? Mine is 1 egg = 2 oz flour = 1/4pt milk.
    In general I think this imperial nostalgia is just another indicator of a country in decline.
  • Options

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I was always taught that the three valid measurements are millimetre, metre and kilometre. And that anything in between (centimetre, decametre etc) was simply to make the sums easier.

Could be wrong. I was at school at the time, and it’s not a subject I ever took much interest in.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Not a fan of VAR

Ruins it.

We should just accept that referees are imperfect.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Time is an interesting one, a day is the time it takes the earth to perform a rotation (solar day) to within well half a millisecond.
    Then a true year is a bit over 365 days, we get to that exactly by occasionally adding a day every 4 years but not every hundred, except every 400.
    Months broadly correspond to the lunar cycle, the present system was fitted by Julius and Augustus (Who both renamed a month each for themselves) Caesar to fit 12 months to a year; which broadly matches more ancient calendars all of which go for 12 months

The week is so far as I can tell an entirely abrahamic religious concept and not celestially related at all. Less "natural" than a day, month or year all of which are based on orbits of the sun, moon and earth.

Hours, minutes and seconds are again human concepts influenced by astronomy, religion and the militaries of antiquity which have become globally dominant - other subdivisions of time are available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_units_of_time ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_timekeeping

Because of the true inherent values of 12.36 months in a year; 365.25 days in a year 29.53 days in a month it would be unnatural to form it all to base 10. I wonder if we were starting now would we go for 10 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour and 100 seconds in a minute; 1000 degrees in a circle..... ;) ?

A week almost divides four times into a lunar month, so I suspect it might have something to do with that. And it fits neatly between the day and the month.
  • Options
    Waitrose has been forced to stop using the name kaffir for its range of dried lime leaves after customers complained about the word’s racist connotations.

Clearly nobody at the supermarket chain appeared to be aware that for decades the word was used as a derogatory term for blacks, particularly under South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime.

Such is the word’s noxious legacy that it is now regarded as hate speech in post-apartheid South Africa, leading to an estate agent being jailed in 2018 for using the word 48 times against a black police officer.

Following complaints on social media and in letters to the supermarket chain, Waitrose has now announced it is to abandon the term and rename its Cooks’ Ingredients lime leaves as Makrut Lime Leaves.

Russell Davies, the host of Radio 4’s Brain of Britain, wrote on Twitter: “Why do Waitrose still sell "kaffir" lime leaves under that name? "... the term kaffir to refer to a Black African is a profoundly offensive and inflammatory expression" (Merriam-Webster). If you mean no offence, why risk causing it?"

The new packaging of the dried leaves, which are a popular ingredient in South East Asian cuisine, will be rolled out to all shops and Waitrose.com by early next year, once the current stock has been sold.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/waitrose-changes-name-kaffir-lime-leaves-complaints-derogatory/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No serious mathematician dabbles in decimal numbers anyway.
  • Options

Waitrose has been forced to stop using the name kaffir for its range of dried lime leaves after customers complained about the word’s racist connotations.

Clearly nobody at the supermarket chain appeared to be aware that for decades the word was used as a derogatory term for blacks, particularly under South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime.

Such is the word’s noxious legacy that it is now regarded as hate speech in post-apartheid South Africa, leading to an estate agent being jailed in 2018 for using the word 48 times against a black police officer.

Following complaints on social media and in letters to the supermarket chain, Waitrose has now announced it is to abandon the term and rename its Cooks’ Ingredients lime leaves as Makrut Lime Leaves.

Russell Davies, the host of Radio 4’s Brain of Britain, wrote on Twitter: “Why do Waitrose still sell "kaffir" lime leaves under that name? "... the term kaffir to refer to a Black African is a profoundly offensive and inflammatory expression" (Merriam-Webster). If you mean no offence, why risk causing it?"

The new packaging of the dried leaves, which are a popular ingredient in South East Asian cuisine, will be rolled out to all shops and Waitrose.com by early next year, once the current stock has been sold.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/16/waitrose-changes-name-kaffir-lime-leaves-complaints-derogatory/

Oh my goodness. How could anyone make a mistake like that?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Italy in front

1-0

Totally dominant
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,782
    gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

Many years ago a panel of experts on Radio 4 all agreed the Welsh today was invented by a Professor (recall the debate not the name) not more than 100 years ago - and in terms of complexity Tolkien managed a better effort with his Elvish languages. That actual Welsh language is long gone - even practicing Druid’s today who have next to no idea what Druid’s really believed and practiced have more knowledge of Druidism than the Welsh do of the old Welsh language before the modern invention.

You sure you're not thinking of Cornish?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I suspect it is someone very young who wasn't aware of it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,251
    ping said:

Not a fan of VAR

Ruins it.

We should just accept that referees are imperfect.

Trouble is the howlers. Lampard in the World Cup. So obviously wrong it was untrue. Now we have goals being ruled out by mm. There ought to have been a better way.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    ping said:

Italy in front

1-0

Totally dominant

They do look rather good. Got to hope that Chiellini’s injury is not too serious.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But where would they get the word from? I mean, it’s not as though it’s in common use?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But where would they get the word from? I mean, it’s not as though it’s in common use?
    Named after these people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Kaffirs
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Mistook it for kufr?

Which is pronounced kaffer.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

No, it's kilometre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometre
    Yes - you've alerted me to my spelling ignorance. I'll modify my behavior immediately!

In this instance though I'm sure that I'll be out on a limb in adopting this.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,112
    ydoethur said:

It's the name of the plant
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Named after these people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Kaffirs
    I don’t think the hole Waitrose have dug is getting shallower.
This discussion has been closed.