Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Rise (and Fall?) of Cressida Dick – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2021 in General
imageThe Rise (and Fall?) of Cressida Dick – politicalbetting.com

It could almost be the title of a Waugh novel. Or perhaps one of those mystery-cum-romances written by upper-class lady novelists in the immediate post-war era – when driving fast cars in the South of France while sparring with strong-jawed heroes with a past was the height of sophistication.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited June 2021
    So the moral is, don’t be a dick, Dick.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited June 2021
    What do we want?

Dick out!

When do we want it?

Now!

Dick out now!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    She was raised very high, but her career isn’t sustained.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I see IDS’s deregulation taskforce has proposed the return of imperial measures.

A replacement, or alongside? The two are quite different.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Any news yet on the return of the Old Money?
  • Options

My dad would genuinely be up for pounds, shillings and pence.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again, I wonder if the continued restrictions on foreign travel are, in part, a rather clever economic scheme to divert all of our tourist spending - which must be billions - to the needy and suffering UK hospitality sector, for a summer

In that respect I kinda approve of it

• Options
    RobD said:

“Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    tlg86 said:

My dad would genuinely be up for pounds, shillings and pence.
    As would I.

I'd redenominate at the rate of one current penny to one farthing, so that the decimal pound would then be worth 2s 1d, and the postdecimal pound would be worth £9.60 in today's money. The £1 and 10/- notes would then both make a triumphant return.

Lots of fun for all the family.
  • Options

RobD said:

“Recommendation: Amend the Weights and Measures Act 1985 to allow traders to use imperial measurements without the equivalent metric measurement.”
    Ah, for the greengrocer?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

RobD said:

I don't understand the issue with metric. Just put 568ml on the glass.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

RobD said:

Given that no bugger under 50 understands them why would they do that?
    Ah yes of course. Silly me.
  • Options

RobD said:

How many of us actually use weights and measures in our daily lives when buying things?

I buy by volume, not weight. Three apples. Six sausages. A small joint of meat. Five carrots. A jar of jam.

Sure, you need to be able to fix the price by weight but that’s almost an irrelevance to the purchaser.

Except in pubs, where everything is imperial anyway.

So please file this under ‘yet another burst of pointless virtue signalling.’
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    This is actually a pretty good game

Turkey better 2nd half
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

RobD said:

That's dumb, it just introduces potential for more confusion without upside.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again, I wonder if the continued restrictions on foreign travel are, in part, a rather clever economic scheme to divert all of our tourist spending - which must be billions - to the needy and suffering UK hospitality sector, for a summer

In that respect I kinda approve of it

One would strongly suspect that it's accident rather than design, but it should help.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    What a save by Ward
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Is Rayner going to launch a coup against Starmer if they lose Batley & Spen?

She’s courting the Corbyn vote.
    Go Girl!

This post is totally unrelated to my strong green position on her as next leader and next PM.
    I believe you because polls say consistently people trust doctors. I know you wouldn't abuse that trust.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Well said Cyclefree
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

That's dumb, it just introduces potential for more confusion without upside.
    Well this is Brexit-logic, brought to you by consummate Brexit-thinkers IDS and Theresa Villiers.
  • Options
    I was astonished to hear both Theresa May and Sadiq Khan give Dick their full confidence
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Hate to contradict you, but at the age of 38 I use imperial on the rare occasions I use anything at all.
    But people can already order with imperial, I do with certain things, why punish those who dont?

That's a headline grabber to distract from something else.
  • Options
    Typical thuggish and violent behaviour from the Welsh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

But people can already order with imperial, I do with certain things, why punish those who dont?

That's a headline grabber to distract from something else.
    Oh, I entirely agree. I’m just pointing out the sweeping assumption.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I note that Oz and NZ went metric years ago, with speeds and distances in kilometers on signs and food sold in kilos in shops.
  • Options
    Great game
  • Options

It’s very inconsiderate of Wales to be doing well. Tell you what, I’ve got a massive Welsh flag you can dry your tears on,
  • Options
    This is long, but biting. The resistance to address failings is common to many institutions, but the police are masters at it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Most British gentlemen use Imperial units to enumerate many of their vital statistics.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    2-0!!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

This is long, but biting. The resistance to address failings is common to many institutions, but the police are masters at it.

Perhaps 'the police are masters' is their thinking?

It's weird when I've met really able, good senior officers.
  • Options
    Yessssssss brilliant Wales

da iawn
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited June 2021
    Wales 2 / Turkey 0

Go Wales!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It’s very inconsiderate of Wales to be doing well. Tell you what, I’ve got a massive Welsh flag you can dry your tears on,
    I for one applaud Welsh thuggery...when in service to England, I mean, the UK.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    Conor Roberts should have been sent off two minutes before he scored.
  • Options
    Riots in Turkey tonight?
  • Options

Conor Roberts should have been sent off two minutes before he scored.

Yup, violence is rewarded, sadly.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Most British gentlemen use Imperial units to enumerate many of their vital statistics.
    Shame the clothing industry doesn’t get them. Why, trousers with ostensibly the same measurement around the waist as my current ones just don’t fit on me any more. They seem to be getting smaller and smaller every year.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I note that Oz and NZ went metric years ago, with speeds and distances in kilometers on signs and food sold in kilos in shops.
    Not a big issue but distance markers on UK motorways (not road signs) are in kilometres for some reason. I suspected an eu regulation somewhere, but that’s my cynical side...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Wales looking good again. Get a good draw in the next round and be interesting.
  • Options

I was astonished to hear both Theresa May and Sadiq Khan give Dick their full confidence

TSE would have said they’d given Dick a clean bill of health.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

And then add 50% :smiley:
  • Options
    Bravo Wales. Totally deserved, as well. A nation of 3m beats a nation of 82m

Impressive
  • Options
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

That’s why it’s surprising they don’t use metric, which adds 154% on the fly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bravo Wales. Totally deserved, as well. A nation of 3m beats a nation of 82m

Impressive

If such things have a political impact, will that bastard Erdogan be under pressure with this result?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9692001/Waitrose-changing-Kaffir-lime-leaves-racial-slur-concerns.html

Choc Ices and any sort of cracker can't be long for this world .....as for coconuts, going to need to come up with a new word for them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The solution is obvious.

@Cyclefree for Commissioner of the Met.

She’s got no practical experience of frontline policing, but then, nor have most of their senior officers.

And she does at least catch crooks rather than promote them.

Finally, watching her clean out the Augean Stables would be funny as fuck.
    I fear itd go the way of John Paul I. (Yes yes, just rumour)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I have yet to hear the weight of a new baby, however young and woke the mother, expressed in anything other than pounds and ounces.

And BTW everyone knows pints, for obvious reasons, and miles, ditto, and if you know miles you are into the system of yards, feel and inches.

• Options
    If only the Scots could exhibit the same virility, courage and intrinsic talent as the noble Welsh
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177

What do we want?

Dick out!

When do we want it?

Now!

Dick out now!

You'll get Boris into trouble again shouting that
  • Options
    It would be interesting to know if people in the pubs in Hereford this evening was cheering for Wales, despite the town being in England, near the Welsh border.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    I would. But they are commonly accepted names for products.
    How many pounds in a stone, pints in a gallon, yards in a mile simply hasn't been taught in school.
    Pretty pointless as few buy stuff this way anyway. Fascinating that they choose to roll back an Act from that notorious woke purveyor of Red Tape, M. Thatcher.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 407
    I met Cressida Dick when doing interesting work for the Met Director of Intelligence. Can’t say anything about the work itself, but one moment which amused me and, perhaps, says a lot about the culture at the time. Waiting for a meeting, I picked up a glossy magazine from a stack on the coffee table titled MQ. Ah, must be Met Quarterly I thought… worth a look to see what’s happening. Wrong, Masonic Quarterly… seemingly the coffee break reading of choice.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

So if offered a quarter pounder and a pint of beer you'd have no clue what to expect?
    How many pounds in a stone, pints in a gallon, yards in a mile simply hasn't been taught in school.
    Pretty pointless as few buy stuff this way anyway. Fascinating that they choose to roll back an Act from that notorious woke purveyor of Red Tape, M. Thatcher.
    Implementing an EC directive, wasn't it?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I have yet to hear the weight of a new baby, however young and woke the mother, expressed in anything other than pounds and ounces.

And BTW everyone knows pints, for obvious reasons, and miles, ditto, and if you know miles you are into the system of yards, feel and inches.
    Some years ago a German friend of mine once asked how many people my age used imperial measurements (clearly expecting the answer ‘none, they’re old fashioned and silly’).

The answer ‘all of them’ shook her a lot. It just hadn’t occurred to her that with all distances, speeds and liquids (oil apart) measured in imperial, that it’s still a key part of everyday life.

Of course, in shops as I note above it’s a bit different.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Up the Welsh! No one likes the Turks.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited June 2021

da iawn

“ da iawn “

They are jive talking in da valley tonight.
  • Options

I met Cressida Dick when doing interesting work for the Met Director of Intelligence. Can’t say anything about the work itself, but one moment which amused me and, perhaps, says a lot about the culture at the time. Waiting for a meeting, I picked up a glossy magazine from a stack on the coffee table titled MQ. Ah, must be Met Quarterly I thought… worth a look to see what’s happening. Wrong, Masonic Quarterly… seemingly the coffee break reading of choice.

Well, I hope it was free.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It would be interesting to know if people in the pubs in Hereford this evening was cheering for Wales, despite the town being in England, near the Welsh border.

Definitely, definitely not. There is a quiet dislike of the Welsh, in much of Hereford. I’m not sure why, but it is the culture, perhaps an inheritance from the warlike past, when the Marches were militarised to keep the Taffs at bay
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Re header: the Met have a bit of a history. I will say though that my instinct is to trust in them or for that matter pretty much any and all police. (Slight personal issue with Italian Police notwithstanding). However the history speaks for itself, and such an intrinsic trust would have been very misplaced in some few officers historically.

I very much plan to trust the police without reservation in the future. They need to work out how they make themselves worthy of that. I almost trust them in the process, but doesn't hurt to look over their shoulders.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

At the age of 38 I haven't got the foggiest how imperial works.

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
  • Options
    At what round, if they both get that far, would England and Wales meet?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TSE would have said they’d given Dick a clean bill of health.
    Let’s see if they can keep it up for a week.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Shame the clothing industry doesn’t get them. Why, trousers with ostensibly the same measurement around the waist as my current ones just don’t fit on me any more. They seem to be getting smaller and smaller every year.
    I'm not sure that's true. I find individual brands to be reasonably consistent - the variation comes between them.

More often than not, the more upmarket and/or expensive the retailer, the stingier the sizing. If your medium top from Tesco is baggy, the equivalent in M&S will be comfortable and in Reiss you'll need to have a good figure not to be bulging in the wrong places. If you're buying the pricier fashion labels you may need to upsize to a large.

Alternatively, are you sure that it's not the clothes that are getting smaller, but...?
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Never fake it, you'll be found out when it counts.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Besides units that don't need anything doing them. I could say my height and weight in imperial, drive in miles and drink in pints . . . But anything that needs calculations? Give me SI units all day, every day.
    I find they make multiplication easier, but division more difficult. And as I do more dividing than multiplying, imperial is easier.

It also helps that that’s what everyone else uses.

BUt truthfully, I have no very strong feelings about it. I see it as a classic distraction issue.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Such is the debasement of standards in public office, we should get used to having a Dick head the Met for a long time.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Lucky you didn't have to learn pre-decimal currency. I'd like to abandon Imperial measurements, but so much of my gauging of things still happens in those old units - I think in miles when driving, I think in excess stones when on the scales, I think in feet when looking down.. :), I think in pints for milk, and I'm pretty sure I'm 6ft tall.

Metric measurements are in all ways better, and we should abandon the Imperial units, and even more so the US should.
  • Options

Such is the debasement of standards in public office, we should get used to having Dick head the Met for a long time.

Despite her cock ups.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I couldn’t make out if it was base 8 or base 12. There has to be some logic behind it rather than how long the average horse.

I think the length of the cricket pitch is because it’s exactly sixty two and a half squirrels or something?

And the beast from 50,000 fathoms must be halfway to the moon.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited June 2021

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

All the proposal is is the decriminalisation of offering things for sale by the pound, ounce etc. This will apply mostly to selling bananas in market stalls in north of England.

No-one truly thinks it should be a crime do they?

• Options

At what round, if they both get that far, would England and Wales meet?

Depends on where they both finish in the first place.

Husband tells me that, if England now succeed in winning their group they will get the second placed team from the group of death, so it looks as if Wales have a decent chance of outlasting us for the second time on the bounce, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The solution is obvious.

She’s got no practical experience of frontline policing, but then, nor have most of their senior officers.

Love to see her clean house WWE style. Clothes lines, leg drops, arm bars and suplexes over the top rope.
  • Options
    MPs vote 461:60 in favour of extending lockdown.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

da iawn

“ da iawn “

They are jive talking in da valley tonight.
    Dych chi ddim yn licio Gymraeg ar y sgwrs hwn?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Definitely, definitely not. There is a quiet dislike of the Welsh, in much of Hereford. I’m not sure why, but it is the culture, perhaps an inheritance from the warlike past, when the Marches were militarised to keep the Taffs at bay
    I’m aware of people who regard the word ‘Taffs’ as offensive as, for example ‘Paki’.

And if you think that’s ‘woke’, just reflect.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Who were the 60?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Parliamentary democracy in action.

Hurrah.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Implementing an EC directive, wasn't it?
    Yes. But it was government policy long before that. It had cross-party support. And the CBI were hugely in favour to aid exports. It was hardly imposed by Brussels in the teeth of government opposition.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Arresting, charging, Fining, Imprisoning or cautioning, willing buyers and willing sellers who both wish to use imperial or any other unit is bonkers and wrong.

That sead, metric while not perfect, is on the whole a better system in most ways to imperial, and having 2 systems in parallel is not efficient.

Metric is used for most economic activity, and is growing in use, its time, IMHO to switch road distance and speeds to km and and km/h. doing so while not simple, on the day, would finally and firmly get people to accept that we are using the medic system and that will not change.

So legalise selling a lb of bananas and change the roads to km.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

All the proposal is is the decriminalisation of offering things for sale by the pound, ounce etc. This will apply mostly to selling bananas in market stalls in north of England.

No-one truly thinks it should be a crime do they?

It should be compulsory to display the metric measure besides.

Otherwise it’s just confusion for consumers.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

With the benefit of 2 days more data, i'm suppressed (and disponed) that there where not more who voted against.

P.S. do we have the list of who voted against?
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I’m aware of people who regard the word ‘Taffs’ as offensive as, for example ‘Paki’.

Twats
  • Options
    Paging @Casino_Royale

https://twitter.com/lauraamalasunta/status/1404885230683668487?s=21

Telegraph: How dare they have LGBT stuff at National Trust properties!

Every NT house guide: The last owner was Lord David 'Daphne' Ducky-Woopsington. Despite his keen interest in lady's fashion, he never married. His art collection includes over 50 paintings of St Sebastian...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Twats
    No, only @TSE calls the Welsh that :smile:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Assuming that the Noes are all or almost all Tory, that's evidently more than enough to erase than the Government's majority on a vote where the Opposition aren't propping it up.

Will there need to be a binding vote at some point on the foreign aid cut? If the Government's MPs are feeling that rebellious then it could easily be lost (albeit that, yes, it won't be the same group kicking up a fuss.)
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    Way Off Topic - NYT ($) - Mushballs and a Great Blue Spot: What Lies Beneath Jupiter’s Pretty Clouds
    NASA’s Juno probe is beginning an extended mission that may not have been possible if it hadn’t experienced engine trouble when it first arrived at the giant planet.

For something that was to have been done and thrown away three years ago, NASA’s Juno spacecraft has a busy schedule ahead exploring Jupiter and its big moons.

The spacecraft entered orbit around Jupiter on July 4, 2016, and has survived bombardment from intense radiation at the largest of the solar system’s planets. It is now finishing its primary mission, but NASA has granted it a four-year extension and 42 more orbits. Last week, it zipped past Ganymede, Jupiter’s largest moon.

“Basically, we designed and built an armored tank,” said Scott J. Bolton of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, who is the mission’s principal investigator. “And it’s worked.”

Jupiter is essentially a big ball of mostly hydrogen, but it has turned out to be a pretty complicated ball. The mission’s discoveries include lightning higher up than thought possible, rings of stable storms at the north and south poles, and winds extending so deep into the interior that they might push around the planet’s magnetic fields.

“I think this has been a revelation,” said David J. Stevenson, a professor of planetary science at the California Institute of Technology and a co-investigator on the mission.

Juno’s highly elliptical path, pitched up at almost a 90-degree angle to the orbits of Jupiter’s moons, passes over the planet’s north and south poles. On each orbit, Juno swoops in, reaching a top speed of 130,000 miles per hour as it passes within a few thousand miles of Jupiter’s clouds.

An early problem with the propulsion system led mission managers to forego an engine firing that would have shortened the orbit to 14 days from 53 days. The mission’s scientists had to be more patient but that has become a blessing.

In the original timeline, Juno would have completed its work by early 2018. With the spacecraft’s more languid trajectories, researchers will get to watch changes in and around Jupiter that they might have missed had the mission wrapped up sooner. . . .
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Assuming that the Noes are all or almost all Tory, that's evidently more than enough to erase than the Government's majority on a vote where the Opposition aren't propping it up.

Will there need to be a binding vote at some point on the foreign aid cut? If the Government's MPs are feeling that rebellious then it could easily be lost (albeit that, yes, it won't be the same group kicking up a fuss.)
    Yeah, the overlap between those two groups is likely close to zero.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

But those are units in their own right. If you offer me a pint of beer then that's one drink. If you offer a glass of wine then that's one drink. If you offer a bottle or can of beer that's one drink. How many gallons, firkins etc that is isn't relevant.

Similarly a quarter pounder is one burger. Just as a patty is one. How many ounces that is, how many stone it is, isn't relevant.

A pound of mince would be four quarter pounders to me, not the other way around.
    Ironically, that is the great strength of imperial. Because it mostly uses base 16 - the pointless stone being a dazzling exception* - it divides very easily into halves and quarters, and keeps on neatly dividing up.

Metric, on the other hand, is a ripe bastard to divide into anything beyond quarters.

*The slightly less pointless furlong would be another example. Should be 1600 yards to the mile, rather than 8 furlongs so 1760. But 1760 is still - just about - base 16.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

I find they make multiplication easier, but division more difficult. And as I do more dividing than multiplying, imperial is easier.

BUt truthfully, I have no very strong feelings about it. I see it as a classic distraction issue.
    Dunno- for a slice of the population, Fear Of Metric was an important part of the culture war that lead first to You-Know-What and now is leading to GB News (f'rexample).

Nostalgia for lost youth, whatever that means, is a powerful force. For Baby Boomers, it's the time that Britain had won the war and hadn't quite realised that it wasn't going to enjoy the spoils in the way that had happened before. For others, it's when you could stroll into your friendly local greengrocer and ask for a pound of tomatoes. For Andrew Neil, it's when he was important and reshaping The Sunday Times or launching Sky TV. For Boris, it's when he could say or write stuff and cause trouble with no consequences.

And that's why you-know-what won't be settled ever. Because their lost youth involves a Brapprochment from here.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Dunno- for a slice of the population, Fear Of Metric was an important part of the culture war that lead first to You-Know-What and now is leading to GB News (f'rexample).

Nostalgia for lost youth, whatever that means, is a powerful force. For Baby Boomers, it's the time that Britain had won the war and hadn't quite realised that it wasn't going to enjoy the spoils in the way that had happened before. For others, it's when you could stroll into your friendly local greengrocer and ask for a pound of tomatoes. For Andrew Neil, it's when he was important and reshaping The Sunday Times or launching Sky TV. For Boris, it's when he could say or write stuff and cause trouble with no consequences.

And that's why you-know-what won't be settled ever. Because their lost youth involves a Brapprochment from here.
    Wouldn’t be much use as a distraction issue if it didn’t stir those feelings, would it?
  • Options
    Anecdote alert! I've just had a phone call form my elderly father, he has seen people on the BBC criticising GB news, but likes the sound of it, and wanted to know if he could watch it, so I've told him the Freeview channel number.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The solution is obvious.

I do actually have a Certificate of Achievement from the City of London Police - for professionalism, unwavering support and actions instrumental in putting this country's biggest fraudster behind bars.

It was presented to me at a very boozy lunch indeed by the officers concerned who were a fun lot. I developed a high regard for them. At the start they viewed me with the deepest suspicion, what with me being - they thought - some sort of posh City girl they could bamboozle. But I soon put them right and after that we worked together fine.

The pity of it all is that there are plenty of good officers. The police do a necessary and often horrible job. But the culture and leadership is appalling and no-one at the top or the Home Office is willing to do what is necessary. The police need the sort of kicking and culture change finance got.

And that is something I am EXPERT in.

There are some very interesting comments in the report about the culture of the NHS, the Francis report etc. Much of what it says is applicable elsewhere. It is a very long read indeed but worth it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The solution is obvious.

I do actually have a Certificate of Achievement from the City of London Police - for professionalism, unwavering support and actions instrumental in putting this country's biggest fraudster behind bars.

It was presented to me at a very boozy lunch indeed by the officers concerned who were a fun lot. I developed a high regard for them. At the start they viewed me with the deepest suspicion, what with me being - they thought - some sort of posh City girl they could bamboozle. But I soon put them right and after that we worked together fine.

The pity of it all is that there are plenty of good officers. The police do a necessary and often horrible job. But the culture and leadership is appalling and no-one at the top or the Home Office is willing to do what is necessary. The police need the sort of kicking and culture change finance got.

And that is something I am EXPERT in.

There are some very interesting comments in the report about the culture of the NHS, the Francis report etc. Much of what it says is applicable elsewhere. It is a very long read indeed but worth it.
    Very interesting comment, Cyclefree. Just one point - unless this has happened in the last few hours, the country’s biggest fraudster is still in No. 10.
This discussion has been closed.