Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

NIMBY Rishi – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

This is late August / September again

"Malmesbury's charts have barely any red on them, this is over"
    "Sure there's some localised cases in the North but Covid isnover"
    we are just short a
    "Yeah Kent is high but you should expect that level of variability"

No it's not.

Last September, I was asking on this board: why won't the UK follow the paths of European countries that have seen cases soars?

The question should now be: why won't the UK follow the same path as other countries who have very high levels of vaccinations?

All the evidence is that, particularly for the double jabbed, there is nothing to fear from Delta. And that as we keep putting jabs in arms, the number of places where Covid can hide will keep falling.
    Of course, the situation is completely different. Vaccinations change everything - I'm not completely shitting it as I was last year. I'm basically entirely optimistic that things are going to be okay as long as people are mildly sensible - no drastic action need be taken.

Im just finding it amazing that exactly the same "nothing to see here" arguments are being made with zero subtlety that were made last year. The same lack of understanding of what exponential means, the same failure to graps what worst case means.

Like we've now go to the state where people are claiming that no one is getting covid despite cases rising
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,017
    Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    There is no scientific basis for your speculation. Your baseless pessimistic posts are beginning to get me a little triggered.
    I'm essentially posting stuff from people on Twitter (Oliver Johnson and James Ward mostly) who are no friends of Indie Sage. What am I supposed to do - say "yeah, everythings okay" when we are at a case increase of 66% week on week sitting right on the Govt's dashboard?.
    But, the figures are demonstrating, as Chris Hopley has pointed out, that mass vaccination is now providing a very solid firewall against serious illness.
    Hopson I think but excellent point
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

There appear to be slightly fewer people in hospital with covid than there were a week ago.

There are more, just not a lot more 870 vs 806 in England.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,606

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

According to the Athletic, Croatia have said they won't be involved in any taking of the knee when they play.

Czechs won't either, apparently will point to a badge.

Lawrence Fox has said he will support both against what he calls 'woke English babies'

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1401662521208098817?s=20
    So fired up by righteous patriotic anger is he that he is literally forced to support a foreign team.
    Because that's the English way.
    I thought it was only the woke that cheered for England/Britain's opponents.

Absolute traitors for not cheering for your own team.
    Has Lord Tebbit made any comment yet? Perhaps he will criticize Fox? My guess is he will NOT.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,652
    This is basically the exit wave isn't it, the one we always knew would happen at some stage. Good that it's happening after we already have a high rate of vaccination, and happening in the early summer too.

One possibly beneficial side effect of having a wave like this now is that we see real world evidence of the vaccine effect, which should help policymakers to gauge how much of the suppression of the virus has been down to vaccines and how much to the earlier lockdown. Another possible long term benefit, for 2021 at least, is that a significant portion of the younger population may go into winter with protective antibodies against the delta variant which in turn should avoid them becoming a breeding ground to infect any elderly with waning old-school antibodies.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    There is no scientific basis for your speculation. Your baseless pessimistic posts are beginning to get me a little triggered.
    I'm essentially posting stuff from people on Twitter (Oliver Johnson and James Ward mostly) who are no friends of Indie Sage. What am I supposed to do - say "yeah, everythings okay" when we are at a case increase of 66% week on week sitting right on the Govt's dashboard?.
    You appear to be on the other end of the spectrum to Philip Thompson (you know, the chap with the LNC in Keyboard Warriorship), who believes we have "herd immunity".

The reality is we don't have herd immunity. We are not doomed either. This is my opinion as a one time scientist based upon what I can divine from the evidence that is out there. My speculation is that the Delta variant will be manageable and deaths from Covid will continue to trend downward. I could be wrong and Boris Johnson might be piling up the bodies, but who knows.

Scaring people with alarmist crap doesn't help anyone.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Big PSA from Mr Zoe, symptoms of Indian variant are much more cold like, soar throat, runny nose, far less of the death rattle cough or the loss of taste / smell.

Base R rate of 6...anybody not vaccinated, its coming for you.

Countries which are largely unvaccinated are in deep trouble.
    As, I fear, are we at the moment.
    Can you put a number on why you think that? (Expressed in terms of malign outcomes – hospitalisations and/or deaths rather than positive tests).

I am not being rude: simply put, I wonder why you are so fearful, yet the CEO of NHS Providers is in the media daily saying: "Look, these new cases aren't much of a problem, they are in the young and they are largely mild."
    We see arguments on here all the time that that cases amongst the young don't matter that much but a sizeable number WILL lead to hospitalisation, even if fewer of those admitted die. We don't know what that hospitalisation rate is going to be with this variant. At the current rate we will, by the end of the month, have 50,000 cases a day, early January levels. In mid January we were admitting roughly 4,000 people per day into hospital. If the hospitalisation risk in the population overall has dropped by 75% by reason of vaccination we are still looking at 1,000 people per day in hospital by mid-July and, in truth, its likely to be more than that.

How many of these folk will be off work also?
    We are told there is a hospitality boom and Labour shortage. 50k a day with Covid won't help.
    Even if it doesn't matter.
    21 June isn't happening and it would be best if the Government told us now - if only for the nations brides...
    Doug thinks this is funny.

Maybe he's in a position to.

Many aren't. They are utterly desperate.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,150
    Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    But, the figures are demonstrating, as Chris Hopley has pointed out, that mass vaccination is now providing a very solid firewall against serious illness.
    The numbers in hospital and hospitalisation are, at the moment, fine. But the lines on the graphs are pointing the wrong way.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

No it's not.

Last September, I was asking on this board: why won't the UK follow the paths of European countries that have seen cases soars?

The question should now be: why won't the UK follow the same path as other countries who have very high levels of vaccinations?

All the evidence is that, particularly for the double jabbed, there is nothing to fear from Delta. And that as we keep putting jabs in arms, the number of places where Covid can hide will keep falling.
    Of course, the situation is completely different. Vaccinations change everything - I'm not completely shitting it as I was last year. I'm basically entirely optimistic that things are going to be okay as long as people are mildly sensible - no drastic action need be taken.

Im just finding it amazing that exactly the same "nothing to see here" arguments are being made with zero subtlety that were made last year. The same lack of understanding of what exponential means, the same failure to graps what worst case means.

Like we've now go to the state where people are claiming that no one is getting covid despite cases rising
    Nobody is claiming that no one is getting covid that I can see.

Cases can rise from a minimal base even when there's herd immunity in general, otherwise we'd end up with eradication much, much more easily. Eradication of a virus is not as easy as that.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Big PSA from Mr Zoe, symptoms of Indian variant are much more cold like, soar throat, runny nose, far less of the death rattle cough or the loss of taste / smell.

Can you put a number on why you think that? (Expressed in terms of malign outcomes – hospitalisations and/or deaths rather than positive tests).

I am not being rude: simply put, I wonder why you are so fearful, yet the CEO of NHS Providers is in the media daily saying: "Look, these new cases aren't much of a problem, they are in the young and they are largely mild."
    We see arguments on here all the time that that cases amongst the young don't matter that much but a sizeable number WILL lead to hospitalisation, even if fewer of those admitted die. We don't know what that hospitalisation rate is going to be with this variant. At the current rate we will, by the end of the month, have 50,000 cases a day, early January levels. In mid January we were admitting roughly 4,000 people per day into hospital. If the hospitalisation risk in the population overall has dropped by 75% by reason of vaccination we are still looking at 1,000 people per day in hospital by mid-July and, in truth, its likely to be more than that.

We are told there is a hospitality boom and Labour shortage. 50k a day with Covid won't help.
    21 June isn't happening and it would be best if the Government told us now - if only for the nations brides...

Yes that’s in effing poor taste.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    Talking of Bristol's Oliver:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    Highest point estimate yet (and the case figure to drop in for tomorrow is already 5,984). You don't really want to look where the straight line ends up by early July.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    You appear to be on the other end of the spectrum to Philip Thompson (you know, the chap with the LNC in Keyboard Warriorship), who believes we have "herd immunity".

The reality is we don't have herd immunity. We are not doomed either. This is my opinion as a one time scientist based upon what I can divine from the evidence that is out there. My speculation is that the Delta variant will be manageable and deaths from Covid will continue to trend downward. I could be wrong and Boris Johnson might be piling up the bodies, but who knows.

Unfortunately, that is wrong. Scaring people with alarmist crap servers the purposes of quite a few people
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

I don't think it's funny in the slightest. I personally am very concerned about how this is playing out. How do you manage to be wrong about absolutely everything you post on here?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,553
    There can't be any progress until someone shifts their red lines. Unless and until there is a technology solution actually I'm not sure there is much else to say.

Boris's tactics are obvious (leave inadequately and then allow events to force a change), both by how he is behaving and the fact that to leave at all there was no alternative deal at the time.

• Options
    7 day average will be ≈ 18K of cases if things follow the Bristol Oliver graph by 21st June.

I'm assuming they will be mainly youngsters.

• Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.

I don' think we are doomed, Nigel, at all. Vaccinations will sort it out. I am not a Zero Covid, Cosplay Sage, fanatic, but, equally, it is impossible to look at the trend lines at the moment without some concern. I don't want another lockdown, that's all.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,700
    edited June 2021
    If the government has already decided to delay the 21st June date, they ought to announce it as soon as possible in order to help businesses to make plans for the future, and not waste time planning to open on that date.

Edit: I see Doug has already posted the same thing.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    Not at all because once again

IN SEPTEMBER VERY FEW PEOPLE WERE VACCINATED
    This talk of a third wave can only mean that the vaccinations, which were supposed to be our silver bullet, are not trusted.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

That’s an ugly post from you. I guess 12,500 cancelled weddings per week of delay seem trivial and frivolous to you.

I dare say they won’t to the families and friends involved.

Stupid post.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,309
    Fuck blood clots

Get as much AZ as we can, in any arm, of any age

We are in a final race, but it is quite critical
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

That’s an ugly post from you. I guess 12,500 cancelled weddings per week of delay seem trivial and frivolous to you.

Stupid post.
    I was being serious. You yourself have pointed this out as being a problem today.

Okay, fine, it's all great, the increases currenly showing in hospitalisations will stop and we'll all be fine. Happy?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    When will the Tories recover from the Cummings effect?

NEW Westminster Voting Intention

Conservatives have a 12pt lead over Labour

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)
    LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1402648992710803460?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,012
    edited June 2021
    Alistair said:

tlg86 said:

All this talk of experimenting and needing to get as many doses etc. etc.

Isn't the reality that because COVID is so rare and so unlikely to kill people at the moment, there's no scientific basis for taking risks. Unlike back in January...

Of course, that also means we really ought to end lockdown.

If the calculation is based on Covid being so rare at the moment, then taking an action that would result in it not being anywhere near as rare makes a very big difference to the calculation.
    80% of adults have antibodies already.

The virus is only ever going to remain rare. We have herd immunity. There will be some people who get infected, but the idea of an overwhelming widespread pandemic is non-existant now. It can't happen already.
    Oh that is a relief. I have been listening to scientists and not been getting much reassurance. I knew I should have waited for the learned opinion of Philip Thompson Kw.D
    If you've been listening to "Independent SAGE" scientists then I think we've identified your problem.

That 80% of adults have antibodies came from the ONS and scientists, not me.

There simply isn't the pool of uninfected people without antibodies that there was last December. 80% having antibodies is something we would have loved this time last year.
    Has any scientist of repute suggested we are near "herd immunity" yet? That is a genuine question. I am pretty sure SAGE has not used this phrase yet, or if they have, I haven't heard them (excuse the pun).

The big big prob with your posts Philip is that you express lightly held opinion as though it is fact. That is one of the many reasons why I would guess you had minimal scientific training. It is also the reason why I take the piss. As I have suggested before, perhaps you could comment in the form of question, or if you are going to make an opinion, why not preface with "I am wondering if..." or "in my opinion..".

It is my opinion that you don't really know what you are talking about on this subject.
    Philip has declared herd immunity repeatedly.
    In the time he has been doing so, both prevalence and case numbers have more than doubled already (and gone up by a factor of about 8 in the North West). Which is, of course, impossible. Especially as we still have some restrictions, so an R of under 1 with no restrictions should lead to a big reduction in cases and prevalence week-on-week with our remaining restrictions.
    This does not seem to be happening.
    Cases have risen in limited towns where the vaccine has been refused by large amounts.

It hasn't surged nationwide. Hospitalisations are meaninglessly negligible in the rest of the country.

If towns like Newham or Bolton or Burnley refuse the vaccine they're never going to achieve herd immunity even if the nation as a whole has on average. So they'll get it the hard way, but that's not a reason to keep the rest of the nation locked down.

PS and I'm from the Northwest, but the Northwest varies dramatically. My town is not struggling precisely because vaccine takeup is high here.
    South Ayrshire has 81% first doses and 61% second doses.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations?areaType=ltla&areaName=South Ayrshire

Cases currently hitting October 2020 and heading towards Jan 2020

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=South Ayrshire

When did that happen , it has been running at about 16 recently , hardly anyone in hospital and for all 3 Ayrshire regions together 8 in ICU max.
    PS: I see all parts Ayrshire have at least doubled over last week , now approx 40 cases
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)
    LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

Difference is again Labour number.

If I was a Tory I would be more concerned about if 21st gets binned.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

TimT said:

Well, talking about antibodies and efficacy, here's a crude calculation that upset people before.

So, we have 80.3% of the adults with antibodies. That leaves 15 million or so below 18. Assume that 15% of them have had the bug (for the sake of the number. That gives you 65% of the total population with antibodies.

Down the left side we have possible R numbers for COVID, without any protection. The second row from the top is the efficacy of those antiibodies in preventing spread.

Assuming that we can just multiply the numbers together is probably crude, but an interesting guesstimate.

If I am reading your table correctly, and the Delta variant has an R0 of about 4, and our population is 65% protected, then the variant should be spreading about as fast as the original SARS-CoV-2 virus (Wuhan strain) before any vaccination or naturally acquired immunity (but, of course, in a much less vulnerable population). Is that right?
    Wasn't original COVID 3.5 or so?
    Mrs ZOE says Indian variant is 6.
    I think James Ward is using RO of Delta as 5 in his calculations.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Stupid post.
    Doug's having a little chortle in his spacious garden at all those working class white girls who are about to see their dreams shattered.

Still, another few months of working from home bliss eh?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    Talking of Bristol's Oliver:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    Highest point estimate yet (and the case figure to drop in for tomorrow is already 5,984). You don't really want to look where the straight line ends up by early July.
    And by early August, we'd be on 275,000 cases a day, and by early September 1.7m cases a day, if you increase the numbers by 60% week on week, but we know very well that that is not going to happen.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    So bl**dy Neil Ferguson has gone back into doom/scare the Govt mode producing models which have huge variances based on effectiveness of vaccines against Indian variant. With the mandatory worst case scenarios assuming “not very effective”, despite all the real world evidence that they are very effective.

Frankly, P*SS OFF!

• Options
    alex_ said:

So bl**dy Neil Ferguson has gone back into doom/scare the Govt mode producing models which have huge variances based on effectiveness of vaccines against Indian variant. With the mandatory worst case scenarios assuming “not very effective”, despite all the real world evidence that they are very effective.

Frankly, P*SS OFF!

Ferguson and real world evidence don't ever appear in the same room frankly.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.

Unfortunately, that is wrong. Scaring people with alarmist crap servers the purposes of quite a few people
    Normally I would agree, but then I realise this is said by the chap that referred to vaccines as "experimental"!! Take the beam out of thine own eye, anti-vax nutter!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Do we have numbers for how much the opening in May was expected to increase the tally of Covid cases? Assuming it was going up by x but has actually gone up by y, then the Indian/Delta variant increase is actually only y-x.....
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Stocky said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.

This talk of a third wave can only mean that the vaccinations, which were supposed to be our silver bullet, are not trusted.
    No it doesn't.
    It means that vaccinations do not work at all on people who have not yet received them, for a start.
    It also means that they are not binary "100%/0%" in those who have received them, but that factor does seem to be less than it was feared to be. Nevertheless, some will still end up in hospital (and in this category, it will be tilted strongly towards the most vulnerable, as those who previously had a c. 20% hospitalisations risk will now have a c. 1% hospitalisation risk. Should 5 million or so of the latter get exposed, we can expect 50,000 of them to be hospitalised.

Which is considerably better than the 1 million or so of them that might otherwise have been hospitalised, but still not something we want to happen all at once.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Oh dear
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.

I don' think we are doomed, Nigel, at all. Vaccinations will sort it out. I am not a Zero Covid, Cosplay Sage, fanatic, but, equally, it is impossible to look at the trend lines at the moment without some concern. I don't want another lockdown, that's all.
    Fair point, and well said, but as I say, alarmism is not helpful. It is understandable that people are worried and want to speculate, but perhaps let us be careful with being alarmist, or at the other end of the spectrum pretending or believing we are completely out of the woods..
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Nobody thinks this is funny. Another lockdown will fuck with 20 million brains, and destroy many lives
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fuck blood clots

I agree.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.

Its certainly possible to look at the trend lines without some concern. That's what I'm doing and many others too.

There was always going to be an exit wave, but at 80% suppression due to antibodies already, higher in those who are vulnerable, this goose is already cooked.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Stupid post.
    Doug's having a little chortle in his spacious garden at all those working class white girls who are about to see their dreams shattered.

Still another few months of working from home bliss eh?
    You are pondlife. I hate working from home and have stopped doing it as it was impacting my mental health.
    I'm posting this from the office before I head back to my semi-detached in about an hour with a very small yard if you're happy.

I HATE LOCKDOWNS AND I WANT THIS ONE LIFTED! This winter left me on the edge of suicidal thoughts. I want nothing but to head back to a full office and a few pints with my colleagues after work.

I want everyone to have a safe summer, weddings and all, but we are not going to as things stand because of this Government's incompetence. I am devastated that the 21 June unlocking cannot happen. I am not, like you, into prolonging the nations misery by (a) refusing to be vaccinated and (b) refusing to do anything else.

As for your "white working class" comment that is beneath contempt.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,606
    Politico.com - ‘Watch out for the cicadas’: Biden takes a hit to the neck as he departs for foreign trip
    The insects also temporarily grounded the charter plane meant to carry the press corps for the president’s European tour.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/09/cicadas-biden-eu-trip-492446

As President Joe Biden on Wednesday prepared to depart for his first foreign trip since assuming office — a week-long tour of western Europe during which he will engage both American allies and adversaries — the commander in chief came into contact with an emergent domestic rival on the tarmac of Joint Base Andrews.

Chatting with a uniformed military officer before boarding Air Force One, en route to a Royal Air Force station in England, the president could be seen swatting a sizable insect from his neck. Biden’s gesture interrupted his conversation with the service member as both men diverted their gazes to the ground, where the bug had apparently landed.

The president proceeded to flash a wave to reporters before strolling over to the assembled press pool with a warning: “Watch out for the cicadas.”

The episode marked the second time in less than 24 hours that the loud, red-eyed pest had intruded upon White House operations in the run-up to Biden’s European travel. On Tuesday night, the charter plane meant to carry the press corps for the president’s trip was grounded for more than five hours at Virginia’s Dulles International Airport due to mechanical problems caused by the cicadas.

Reporters finally landed late Wednesday morning, POLITICO reported, after circling in their plane and temporarily unable to touch down because British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was slated to arrive in his own aircraft at roughly the same time.

The intrusions from the insects come as potentially trillions of Brood X cicadas are surfacing from underground after 17 years, inundating as many as 15 states and currently staking their claim in the greater Washington, D.C., area. On Wednesday, however, their population decreased by exactly one, according to the president.

“I just got one,” Biden told reporters before venturing across the Atlantic. “It got me.” . . . .

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Looking at the rapid rise in cases... I'm wondering if govt might have to reintroduce some restrictions for a period.
    We just need to buy a bit more time until the vaccinations have kicked in.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,012
    edited June 2021

Alistair said:

tlg86 said:

All this talk of experimenting and needing to get as many doses etc. etc.

Isn't the reality that because COVID is so rare and so unlikely to kill people at the moment, there's no scientific basis for taking risks. Unlike back in January...

Of course, that also means we really ought to end lockdown.

If the calculation is based on Covid being so rare at the moment, then taking an action that would result in it not being anywhere near as rare makes a very big difference to the calculation.
    80% of adults have antibodies already.

The virus is only ever going to remain rare. We have herd immunity. There will be some people who get infected, but the idea of an overwhelming widespread pandemic is non-existant now. It can't happen already.
    Oh that is a relief. I have been listening to scientists and not been getting much reassurance. I knew I should have waited for the learned opinion of Philip Thompson Kw.D
    If you've been listening to "Independent SAGE" scientists then I think we've identified your problem.

That 80% of adults have antibodies came from the ONS and scientists, not me.

There simply isn't the pool of uninfected people without antibodies that there was last December. 80% having antibodies is something we would have loved this time last year.
    Has any scientist of repute suggested we are near "herd immunity" yet? That is a genuine question. I am pretty sure SAGE has not used this phrase yet, or if they have, I haven't heard them (excuse the pun).

The big big prob with your posts Philip is that you express lightly held opinion as though it is fact. That is one of the many reasons why I would guess you had minimal scientific training. It is also the reason why I take the piss. As I have suggested before, perhaps you could comment in the form of question, or if you are going to make an opinion, why not preface with "I am wondering if..." or "in my opinion..".

It is my opinion that you don't really know what you are talking about on this subject.
    Philip has declared herd immunity repeatedly.
    In the time he has been doing so, both prevalence and case numbers have more than doubled already (and gone up by a factor of about 8 in the North West). Which is, of course, impossible. Especially as we still have some restrictions, so an R of under 1 with no restrictions should lead to a big reduction in cases and prevalence week-on-week with our remaining restrictions.
    This does not seem to be happening.
    Cases have risen in limited towns where the vaccine has been refused by large amounts.

It hasn't surged nationwide. Hospitalisations are meaninglessly negligible in the rest of the country.

If towns like Newham or Bolton or Burnley refuse the vaccine they're never going to achieve herd immunity even if the nation as a whole has on average. So they'll get it the hard way, but that's not a reason to keep the rest of the nation locked down.

PS and I'm from the Northwest, but the Northwest varies dramatically. My town is not struggling precisely because vaccine takeup is high here.
    South Ayrshire has 81% first doses and 61% second doses.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations?areaType=ltla&areaName=South Ayrshire

Cases currently hitting October 2020 and heading towards Jan 2020

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=South Ayrshire

In terms of hospitalisations, how has that translated?
    My wife's consultant called her yesterday and he said they had very few in hospital, he is one of main respiratory consultants in the major hospital.
    PS: whole of Scotland has 16 total in ICU
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Looking at the rapid rise in cases... I'm wondering if govt might have to reintroduce some restrictions for a period.

Despite what @contrarian says I really really hope that doesn't happen but I am not sure they are going to be left with any choice.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,198

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)
    LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

Boris has a very difficult job coming up in the next few days working out the messaging before Monday. The public expected that the vaccines and the early 2021 lockdown would get us out of this.

And indeed the vaccines have helped enormously, we would be heading for Dec/Jan rerun without them.

But 21 June isn't happening now, certainly for 4 weeks maybe longer.
  • Options

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)
    LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

Boris has a very difficult job coming up in the next few days working out the messaging before Monday. The public expected that the vaccines and the early 2021 lockdown would get us out of this.

And indeed the vaccines have helped enormously, we would be heading for Dec/Jan rerun without them.

I hate it that you're right about that.
  • Options
    Euros: is Rashford likely to be in the first-choice 11?

If so 85/1 for Golden Boot looks a bit large I think.
  • Options
    So much for FREEDOM!

THE Scottish Government has announced plans to extend emergency coronavirus laws by six months.

Deputy First Minister John Swinney said it is "clear" some provisions will be required after the current expiry date of September 30.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19360792.swinney-confirms-plans-extend-emergency-coronavirus-laws-scotland/?ref=twtrec
  • Options

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)
    LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

I suspect it will be binned to some extent. It has to be. Full lifting of restrictions would appear reckless, so we will have only limited Freedom returned, but the government will try their best to deliver it to a large extent perhaps. It will be FINO.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    rkrkrk said:

The restrictions are to prevent over-running of the health system. Hospital numbers, as opposed to cases, are little more than flat.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

For what purpose? To stop case numbers rising? We could stop case numbers rising by reducing testing with the same effect. What matters is hospitals and, as Chris Hobson pointed out, the profile and nature of people attending hospitals.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)
    LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

He should save time by not expending the effort on messaging and just do what the last person he spoke to says.
  • Options
    No bats or pangolins were sold at Wuhan wet markets immediately before the coronavirus pandemic started, according to an Oxford-led study.

The research documents a menagerie of nearly 50,000 animals from 38 species, including badgers and boars, peacocks and pit vipers, traded at animal markets in the Chinese city from 2017 to November 2019.

But the team found 'no evidence' that a single bat or pangolin was kept at the market, leading them to conclude that these species - frequently blamed for Covid-19 - 'were not the likely spillover host at the source of the coronavirus'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9668695/No-bats-pangolins-sold-Wuhan-wet-markets-pandemic-started-Oxford-study-says.html
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited June 2021
    Stocky said:

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)

LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

He should save time by not expending the effort on messaging and just do what the last person he spoke to says.
    Can we get Tim Martin, Rocco Forte and Andrew Lloyd-Webber camping in Downing St?

Edit: And @Cyclefree, if her daughter can give her the day off ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited June 2021
    I think one thing is abundantly clear - amber list restrictions are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
    We could probably green list all of europe now as their prevalence is lower (Or will be shortly) (Though demand a -ve test) whilst keeping India, much of Africa and south America on the red list.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Stupid post.

I didn't realise that only white working class girls get upset about dreams being shattered? Working class males not bothered? Middle and upper classes take it all on the chin. OK!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

For what purpose? To stop case numbers rising? We could stop case numbers rising by reducing testing with the same effect. What matters is hospitals and, as Chris Hobson pointed out, the profile and nature of people attending hospitals.
    To reduce hospitalizations. I think they will grow over the next few weeks.
    If they don't - then I guess we are fine.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fuck blood clots

Those 5 million doses.

Make them available in every pharmacy for whoever wants them. The impact on transmission of the virus is enough on its own to justify it.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    In more hopeful news...

• Options
    I've just been for a business lunch in a sun drenched Fitzrovia with my sex toy flint agent. Lemon sole with brown shrimps and crisp seaweed. Really nice Pouilly Fume. The restaurant was buzzing and happy, apart from a few masks it all felt very normal. My agent told me some delicious gossip about a senior Cabinet Minister (my god, the booze). We talked of new projects, new life, new streams of income

And then I come back to PB and we are headed for a fourth lockdown.

Which is the real world?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Fuck blood clots

Those 5 million doses.

Make them available in every pharmacy for whoever wants them. The impact on transmission of the virus is enough on its own to justify it.
    Frankly they should never have made the decision to suspend in the first place, if there was any question about availability of alternative supply. Daft. Totally foreseeable.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

The vaccines have kicked in. Otherwise we would be seeing rapid growth in hospitalisation numbers.
    No. Just a bit more time, perhaps a few weeks. Look at the cases. Exactly the same as last year September. So perhaps a couple of months. And then of course when we get to later summer we will expect a natural reoccurrence of cases because, well, winter. So best not to open up just in case.

And all we've got between that and now is Steve fucking Baker god help us.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Fuck blood clots

Those 5 million doses.

Absolutely right. I had grave doubts about the original suspension, it was knife edge and risky

Now there is no doubt. Inject everyone with any vaccine we have
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    What's the betting next time we have a covid press conference, 10 questions on summer holidays and how many people can I have at a BBQ if it rains part way through and how many people allowed in a single tent....and 0 questions on the fact 5 million vaccines are sitting in a warehouse going unused.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,022
    Weekly update on COVID hospital admissions and deaths in England.

After a pause last week the rise in admissions has accelerated. The moving average is up 45% from its low point. The current rate of growth implies a doubling time of 3 weeks.

Regional picture follows. 1/3
    https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary/status/1402652224128532488/photo/1
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Stupid post.

I come back from sorting all sorts of family issues ..... stuffing a duvet cover for a start ...... and find some really silly misunderstandings of, in particular, Mr DS's post.
    At no point has he said he wants those weddings cancelled; all he has said is that it would be best if we..... and the brides and, dare I say it, the bride's mothers.... were told to postpone as soon as possible.
    Been there. I know what my wife, as bride's mother, and my daughter, as bride, would have wanted. As much clarity as possible. As soon as possible.
    Thanks OKC. I shouldn't have been but I was actually quite upset by the willful misunderstanding by @contrarian there. I hate lockdown and the idea that I am cheering it on is so upsetting I cannot tell you.
    I don't think you should get too upset by the rantings of an anti-vax nutter
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The choice that Doug and others are presenting you of the 'safety' of lockdown, versus the 'risk' of freedom, is of course an utterly and completely false one.

Economically, staying in any form of lockdown whatever beyond 21 June is desperately reckless and risky gamble.

Its ahuge gamble with the lives and businesses of countless thousands in hospitality and other service industries in the short term.

In the long term its an utterly reckless and desperate gamble with the wider economy, as all lockdowns were and are.

I haven't begun to talk about the devastating effect on the morale and the mental health of very many of postponement. Or the potential threat to civil order as the contract between this government and its citizens starts to break down, as it manifestly IS starting to break down.

Carrying on lockdown after 21 June is an act of the insane, and only an insane and totally unhinged government would consider it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Stupid post.

I come back from sorting all sorts of family issues ..... stuffing a duvet cover for a start ...... and find some really silly misunderstandings of, in particular, Mr DS's post.
    At no point has he said he wants those weddings cancelled; all he has said is that it would be best if we..... and the brides and, dare I say it, the bride's mothers.... were told to postpone as soon as possible.
    Been there. I know what my wife, as bride's mother, and my daughter, as bride, would have wanted. As much clarity as possible. As soon as possible.
    Thanks OKC. I shouldn't have been but I was actually quite upset by the willful misunderstanding by @contrarian there. I hate lockdown and the idea that I am cheering it on is so upsetting I cannot tell you.
    You're welcome Mr S. Mr C reminds of something my headmaster once said about me after one episode "they were half-wits, but you (there were several of involved) are quarter-wits.
    @contrarian fits the 25% description IMHO!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)

LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

Can we get Tim Martin, Rocco Forte and Andrew Lloyd-Webber camping in Downing St?

Or maybe we could borrow Anders Tegnell for a couple of days. Lock Johnson in a room with him.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

glw said:

Stupid post.

I don't think you should get too upset by the rantings of an anti-vax nutter
    Good point well made. I'm notoriously thin skinned anyway. I'm not sure why I spend so much time on here as a result!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    Perhaps show some judgment in interpreting what is on the dashboard? Until herd immunity is achieved, the point of vaccination is not that cases will drop to zero, or even not rise, but that such cases will not result in unbearable levels of hospitalizations, morbidity or death.

Admittedly, those last 3 metrics lag the new case metric, but until we see any significant uptick in hospitalizations, and particularly severe cases, then we can be pretty happy with how the vaccination programme has achieved its primary goal.

Personally, I am looking at the same data and you and seeing reasons for considerable optimism, not pessimism.
  • Options
    Let’s hope these vaccines work…
  • Options
    Leon said:

I've just been for a business lunch in a sun drenched Fitzrovia with my sex toy flint agent. Lemon sole with brown shrimps and crisp seaweed. Really nice Pouilly Fume. The restaurant was buzzing and happy, apart from a few masks it all felt very normal. My agent told me some delicious gossip about a senior Cabinet Minister (my god, the booze). We talked of new projects, new life, new streams of income

And then I come back to PB and we are headed for a fourth lockdown.

Which is the real world?

In the real world the covid pandemic is over and its time to lift lockdown, lose masks, lose restrictions and just have guidance for anyone that wants to follow it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Stocky said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.

I don't think thats true. We are seeing a third wave of cases develop now, before our eyes. We are seeing much much smaller third waves of hospitalization and deaths (if at all for the latter). This is what the vaccines were supposed to do - break the link to serious illness, and they are. We are seeing most new cases in the unvaccinated population (under 25 because they've not had the chance and some in refusers). Its no surprise that this is happening. Its only a concern if it develops into a lot of hospital cases. Bolton and Bedford suggest that won't be the case.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Do you think we might all be getting a bit carried away?

The government has not indicated a delay to 21 June and though new cases are rising, hospitalisations at 125 per day (roughly) are only slightly up on what they were five or six weeks ago and miles lower than eight + weeks ago. And death numbers are tiny.

I suspect that when the road map exit was drawn up most of us, if we had a crystal ball, would have taken the current figures and would have fully expected 21 June to be adhered to.

A further consideration, of course, is that in the event of a delay political pressure would appear immediately to extend financial aid packages again.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I agree with Mr Herdson:

We shouldn't assume that if the June 21 easing is put back, the public will turn against the govt. In general, they've been *more* pro-lockdown than the govt has and appearing to act responsibly rather than recklessly has generally gone down well.

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1402653784308867076?s=20

It was notable in the Portugal SNAFU when R4 tried to vox pop passengers they were a lot more phlegmatic "It was a risk, but we decided to take it, it hasn't worked out" than Travel Trade commentators "end of days"....
  • Options

The choice that Doug and others are presenting you of the 'safety' of lockdown, versus the 'risk' of freedom, is of course an utterly and completely false one.

Economically, staying in any form of lockdown whatever beyond 21 June is desperately reckless and risky gamble.

Its ahuge gamble with the lives and businesses of countless thousands in hospitality and other service industries in the short term.

In the long term its an utterly reckless and desperate gamble with the wider economy, as all lockdowns were and are.

I haven't begun to talk about the devastating effect on the morale and the mental health of very many of postponement. Or the potential threat to civil order as the contract between this government and its citizens starts to break down, as it manifestly IS starting to break down.

Carrying on lockdown after 21 June is an act of the insane, and only an insane and totally unhinged government would consider it.

Are you tempted to get the vaccine?

Genuine question. In your position, I would be quite scared right now.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)

LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

Or maybe we could borrow Anders Tegnell for a couple of days. Lock Johnson in a room with him.
    Locking Johnson in a room reads like a VERY GOOD IDEA.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

Growing is fine, so long as the number of people in hospital grows at only a modest rate.

10% week over week is an irrelevancy: it means it takes three months to quadruple the number of people in hospital and by that point everyone is double jabbed anyway.

Even 20% is quite manageable.

But you don't want to be at 30 or 40% a week.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

Hopson!

Is poor Chris going to become yet another casualty of the PB misspellers??
  • Options
    ping said:

Let’s hope these vaccines work…

They do.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

Well, talking about antibodies and efficacy, here's a crude calculation that upset people before.

So, we have 80.3% of the adults with antibodies. That leaves 15 million or so below 18. Assume that 15% of them have had the bug (for the sake of the number. That gives you 65% of the total population with antibodies.

Down the left side we have possible R numbers for COVID, without any protection. The second row from the top is the efficacy of those antiibodies in preventing spread.

Assuming that we can just multiply the numbers together is probably crude, but an interesting guesstimate.

If I am reading your table correctly, and the Delta variant has an R0 of about 4, and our population is 65% protected, then the variant should be spreading about as fast as the original SARS-CoV-2 virus (Wuhan strain) before any vaccination or naturally acquired immunity (but, of course, in a much less vulnerable population). Is that right?
    Original COVID was 2.6
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Original COVID was 2.6
    Mr ZOE says 4 in his video i.e. Indian variant is 50% more.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

Growing is fine, so long as the number of people in hospital grows at only a modest rate.

10% week over week is an irrelevancy: it means it takes three months to quadruple the number of people in hospital and by that point everyone is double jabbed anyway.

Well said - and the virus is rapidly running out of people to infect. We're already at 80% of adults with antibodies and millions more vaccinated per week. The virus is going to burn out and hit a herd immunity wall very rapidly.
  • Options

alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

Hopson!

Is poor Chris going to become yet another casualty of the PB misspellers??
    When even the Guardian gets it right .......
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    Will we all need boosters against recent and future variants ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)

LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

Locking Johnson in a room reads like a VERY GOOD IDEA.
    Perhaps they could lock him in a room every other month and see whether government is affected either positively or negatively. He could use the time to write witty polemics or another dreadful political history biography, or even a trashy novel involving archaeology. Everyone is a winner.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Con 44% (+2)
    Lab 32% (=)

LDM 8% (-1)
    Green 5% (=)
    SNP 4% (=)
    Other 7% (=)

4-6 June

(Changes from 28-30 May)

We did get him with Johnson last September.
    It didn't work out well.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

Original COVID was 2.6
    R0 of 4 would require 75% to hit herd immunity wouldn't it?

And we're at 80% of adults 🤔
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

Original COVID was 2.6
    R6 is frankly terrifying. it suggests the Indian variant will rip through every unvaccinated or partly vaccinated country, in the end. America, Europe, Asia, Africa
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

Original COVID was 2.6
    R0 of 4 would require 75% to hit herd immunity wouldn't it?

And we're at 80% of adults 🤔
    Sorry wasn't clear, R0 = 4 for original COVID, R0 = 6 for Indian variant.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323

Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

we are just short a

Pretty much.
    Will we all need boosters against recent and future variants ?
    We have our flu vaccine every year and think nothing of it, maybe the same will be true for covid
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

Even that is manageable if it blows through the local population quite quickly because it hits a near impenetrable wall. Look at Bolton, and that was hardly a stellar model of a vaccinated population. And they were hit weeks ago as well. Vaccination protection elsewhere was better then, let alone now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

Well said - and the virus is rapidly running out of people to infect. We're already at 80% of adults with antibodies and millions more vaccinated per week. The virus is going to burn out and hit a herd immunity wall very rapidly.
    I thought according to you we already have "herd immunity"? I thought that was an article of your faith?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rkrkrk said:

alex_ said:

rkrkrk said:

They will grow. But, the evidence so far suggests that the rate of growth will be slow, and well within the capacity of the NHS to cope
This discussion has been closed.