Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tory elections expert Lord Hayward reckons that new boundaries give a 5-10 seat bonus to his party –

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021

Sunak could accept four-week delay to ending Covid restrictions in England

Guardian understands chancellor not fixated on 21 June date for enacting final stage of roadmap

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/08/sunak-could-accept-four-week-delay-to-ending-covid-restrictions-in-england

4 weeks....it was 2 weeks yesterday....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    Leon said:

And all this is because Boris would not close the border with India, because ‘racism’, ‘trade talks’

Trade talks, not racism.

If he was worried about racism he wouldn't have closed off Pakistan and Bangladesh.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    CBC.com - Researchers [in British Columbia] catch record-breaking Nechako sturgeon, thought to be nearly 100 years old

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/big-sturgeon-100-years-vanderhoof-1.6057166

The largest Nechako white sturgeon on record was caught and released on the Nechako River near Vanderhoof, B.C., earlier this month.

Weighing in at 152 kilograms (336 pounds) and measuring 2.9 metres (9.6 feet), the huge fish was caught by staff at the Nechako White Sturgeon Conservation Centre (NWSCC).

"It was really an amazing experience," Jordan Cranmer, a junior researcher and outreach technician at the centre, told Carolina de Ryk on CBC's Daybreak North.

"As she got closer and closer to the boat, we really realized that we were in for a record."

The sturgeon is estimated to be nearly 100 years old, is almost blind and remarkably fertile, says Cranmer. . . .
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Going to visit my parents today, they live in outer London so I have to get a commuter train. Trains are all fucked. Train scheduled but the platform is occupied by one that won't leave for ages so the one I need to get is cancelled because no platform is available for it. Honestly, these guys couldn't run a piss up in a brewery. It's the kind of shit that makes me want to smash the whole sector into a million pieces, sack all of the managers and CEOs and nationalise it all and make someone accountable for it. These arseholes have got a monopoly on the line and passengers can do nothing about their incompetence. We're stuck with it, roll on nationalisation and sacking all of these incompentent wankers in charge. I had a look into the CEO of this line and he's got absolutely zero real world experience and no qualifications for the job, just someone who failed upwards and is now failing in the job.

I think you are being very optimistic that a British Rail 2.0 will change such appointments....failing upwards appears to very common among public sector institutions see off the top of my head, the head of the MET.
    At least I can go and bitch at the MP about it wankers. Right now not a single person is accountable and they have an actual monopoly over the line.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Guardian understands chancellor not fixated on 21 June date for enacting final stage of roadmap

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/08/sunak-could-accept-four-week-delay-to-ending-covid-restrictions-in-england

4 weeks....it was 2 weeks yesterday.
    Yesterday it was 2 weeks up to a maximum of 4 weeks.

Today is 4 weeks but more like 2 weeks.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    MaxPB said:

Going to visit my parents today, they live in outer London so I have to get a commuter train. Trains are all fucked. Train scheduled but the platform is occupied by one that won't leave for ages so the one I need to get is cancelled because no platform is available for it. Honestly, these guys couldn't run a piss up in a brewery. It's the kind of shit that makes me want to smash the whole sector into a million pieces, sack all of the managers and CEOs and nationalise it all and make someone accountable for it. These arseholes have got a monopoly on the line and passengers can do nothing about their incompetence. We're stuck with it, roll on nationalisation and sacking all of these incompentent wankers in charge. I had a look into the CEO of this line and he's got absolutely zero real world experience and no qualifications for the job, just someone who failed upwards and is now failing in the job.

As always, on PB, if someone says something dogmatic, someone comes along with the completely opposite story.

I went to Woking again today - travelled from East London - delighted to see the Drain back in operation, South West Railways put on a 12-coach train (presumably because there were 12 of us wanting to travel). Exercising social distancing when it's just you in the carriage isn't too difficult.

The huge difference on the Jubilee is the absence of the Canary Wharf workers - the service is now tolerable with seats and little or no standing.

This Working at Home really is wonderful as I'm sure you'll agree !!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    He obviously dropped a bollock there, but I think it was quite an easy mistake to make. Doesn’t make him thick, though he might be. England at home to Romania, you’d think they’d wear White.

Embarrassing ricket though, for sure
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,075

CBC.com - Researchers [in British Columbia] catch record-breaking Nechako sturgeon, thought to be nearly 100 years old

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/big-sturgeon-100-years-vanderhoof-1.6057166

The largest Nechako white sturgeon on record was caught and released on the Nechako River near Vanderhoof, B.C., earlier this month.

Weighing in at 152 kilograms (336 pounds) and measuring 2.9 metres (9.6 feet), the huge fish was caught by staff at the Nechako White Sturgeon Conservation Centre (NWSCC).

"It was really an amazing experience," Jordan Cranmer, a junior researcher and outreach technician at the centre, told Carolina de Ryk on CBC's Daybreak North.

"As she got closer and closer to the boat, we really realized that we were in for a record."

The sturgeon is estimated to be nearly 100 years old, is almost blind and remarkably fertile, says Cranmer. . . .

Hope they put it back.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    Taz said:

Hope they put it back.
    Did they call it Nicola?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,869
    edited June 2021

Leon said:

And all this is because Boris would not close the border with India, because ‘racism’, ‘trade talks’

Trade talks, not racism.

If he was worried about racism he wouldn't have closed off Pakistan and Bangladesh.
    Fair point. Tho Big Bad Dom did cite "fear of racism" as one reason for our insane borders policy.

Anyway, it is insane. As soon as the Indian variant emerged, they should have shut the fucking Indian frontier. We would now be cruising to our allotted unlockdown date, easily winning the vaccine-v-variant race.

Boris spaffed our vaccine bonus up the frigging wall. And now lockdown might go on forever
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    MaxPB said:

If that's true then we're in this until 2022. I think it's time to leave the country, freedom just won't exist here in any meaningful sense because the government has been captured by the doom mongering scientists who want to keep everyone locked up forever.
    Not that it’s at the forefront but delays to June 21st, especially a four week (minimum) delay must have serious implications for some massive U.K. sporting events. We are a major host for the European Championships, Wimbledon is start of July, British Grand Prix from 16th. Where does it end...?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    2017:

NIH lifts 3-year ban on funding risky virus studies

More than 3 years after imposing a moratorium on U.S. funding for certain studies with dangerous viruses, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland, today lifted this so-called "pause" and announced a new plan for reviewing such research.

Concerns over so-called “gain-of-function” (GOF) studies that make pathogens more potent or likely to spread in people erupted in 2011, when Kawaoka’s team and Ron Fouchier’s lab at Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, announced that they had modified the H5N1 bird flu virus to enable it to spread between ferrets. Such studies could help experts prepare for pandemics, but pose risks if the souped-up pathogen escapes the lab.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/12/nih-lifts-3-year-ban-funding-risky-virus-studies
  • Options
    edited June 2021

We've heard this one before....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Because the one thing the public sector is well known for is sacking incompetents? And never failing upwards? 🤔
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Dominic Raab's seat of Esher and Walton would have a LD MP based on the new boundaries, the first time ever it has not had a Tory MP. So while there would be a tiny net Tory gain overall, there would be Tory casualties too

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1402303375732006912?s=20

The LibDems had a noticeably poor performance in E&W at both County and Borough levels on May 6th.
    Why do I get the feeling Labour and Lib Dems will expend so much energy in Uxbridge & South Ruislip and Esher & Walton at the next election when they should focus on more winnable seats.

Shades of Charlie Kennedy's decapitation strategy?
    Esher and Walton is just 9th on the LD target list, if they cannot win there they cannot win new seats anywhere
    The LibDems often fail to make the expected gains while winning somewhere totally unexpected because of local factors.

Esher and Walton will be a lot harder for the LibDems than its current majority suggests.
  • Options

2017:

More than 3 years after imposing a moratorium on U.S. funding for certain studies with dangerous viruses, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland, today lifted this so-called "pause" and announced a new plan for reviewing such research.

Concerns over so-called “gain-of-function” (GOF) studies that make pathogens more potent or likely to spread in people erupted in 2011, when Kawaoka’s team and Ron Fouchier’s lab at Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, announced that they had modified the H5N1 bird flu virus to enable it to spread between ferrets. Such studies could help experts prepare for pandemics, but pose risks if the souped-up pathogen escapes the lab.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/12/nih-lifts-3-year-ban-funding-risky-virus-studies

Are you just cottoning on to all this stuff?

I've been linking to these same articles for weeks.

It came from the lab!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Stunning indeed. Fauci really says this. Go to 1:38

‘Fauci's words are stunning: "You don't wanna go to Hoboken New Jersey or to Fairfax Virginia to be studying the bat-human interface. THAT MIGHT LEAD TO AN OUTBREAK. So you go to China.”’

https://twitter.com/inwuchang/status/1402226563677143043?s=21

How does Fauci survive these remarks? He’s now admitting he funded gain-of-function research to make bat coronaviruses nastier. And the reason he funded this science in Wuhan is because such research is dangerous, might cause a pandemic, and he didn’t want to take that risk in America

I’m struggling to find an alternative explanation for his words
    That seems incredibly aggressively clipped. Would love to see the surrounding context.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

"@PoliticsForAlI

Oxford University's Magdalen college has voted to remove a portrait of the Queen from a common room because she 'represents recent colonial history'"

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1402303448524148737

Magdalen College also represents outdated gender relations, theocracy and unwonted elitism.

I think they should just dissolve themselves and be done with it.
    Although its name celebrates an outcast woman of colour
    A scarlet woman? Not slut-shaming at all...
  • Options

Fuck that shit. 😡
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Foxy said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

I'm slightly sceptical that the boundary changes give the Cons sny immediate advantage. They have a lot of first-term MPs whose incumbency they are failing to maximise by implementing boundary changes now. Tactically, the time to implement boundary changes is as your vote is ebbing and your incumbency boost as small.
    Of course, arguably, it shouldn't be a political consideration. But we know politics comes into it.

I don't see much in it myself. I suspect that with the increasing C2DE Tory vote and decreasing ABC1 vote, that the geography pretty much cancels out the demography. I cannot see SKS overturning the majority in 2023/4 whatever the constituencies.

Unless of course there are further major events, which are quite possible in a rather unpredictable world.
    That logic rather eludes me. In 2019 we saw a swing of almost 5% to the Tories in a single election. Why can that not be reversed in 2023 or 2024?
    It could be, but SKS is far too dull and wooden to do it. A different leader who can show a bit of inspirational zeal might.
    I have been coming to that view myself in view of the mounting evidence of his psephological autism as highlighted by his holding totally unnecessary by elections at times particularly helpful to the Government. On the other hand , barely six months ago the polls were recording a 7% swing against the Tories compared with 2019.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think a 4 week delay, Tories polling numbers will be through the floor. The great unlocking has been boosted and boosted and boosted. Get jabbed, just hold on a bit longer, then bright days ahead...or not.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

If that's true then we're in this until 2022. I think it's time to leave the country, freedom just won't exist here in any meaningful sense because the government has been captured by the doom mongering scientists who want to keep everyone locked up forever.
    I have the same dark thoughts. I wonder if they will actually tighten the lockdown again
    I don't think they will tighten the lockdown. They are hoping that if we wait four more weeks, the Delta situation will crystallize and hopefully stabilize to allow a permanent and non-reversible move to Stage 4 in late July.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That provides the excuse but it’s not the reason. Even with the Delta variant it’s clear that the goalposts are being shifted. The “data not dates” roadmap was presumably based on something approximating midpoint scenarios for rising cases, hospitalisations and deaths. Whilst case numbers are probably keeping up with that, hospitalisations and deaths absolutely are not.

So whatever “data” they were anticipating for decisions in March is now just being blatantly overridden
  • Options
    edited June 2021

MaxPB said:

Because the one thing the public sector is well known for is sacking incompetents? And never failing upwards? 🤔
    I have always thought that the irony of the little lamented privatised structure was that Railtrack was in practice far more a ‘publicly owned, publicly accountable’ system than Network Rail or BR. Anyone could own shares in Railtrack and vote on its board, its policies and its operations as a result.

Only civil servants and ministers can make decisions over the railways when they are in public ownership, and passengers are not a high priority for them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Leon said:

2017:

It came from the lab!
    I'd only seen bits and pieces on twitter and did think some of the Fauci emails looked pretty bad for him but I hadn't looked at the details until now. As you pointed out, the attempted cover up in the US could have serious political consequences.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

"@PoliticsForAlI

Oxford University's Magdalen college has voted to remove a portrait of the Queen from a common room because she 'represents recent colonial history'"

Magdalen College also represents outdated gender relations, theocracy and unwonted elitism.

She was middle-eastern, obviously.

But I’m not a fan of slut shaming. After all, I’m not without sin…
  • Options
    Does anyone know what age range European countries are currently vaccinating ?

Not approved for vaccinating but actually vaccinating.

I've read that Italy and Poland are currently vaccinating 12-15 year olds.

If so doesn't that suggest that they're rapidly running out of people wishing to be vaccinated ?
  • Options
    A straw poll. How many PBers had a portrait of HM up in their Common Room, Students Union or Staff Canteen?

My Medical School didn't.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

"@PoliticsForAlI

They should rename themselves after Arya Stark.

‘I’m not the red woman. Take your own bloody pants off.’
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,375
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I have the same dark thoughts. I wonder if they will actually tighten the lockdown again
    That's kind of happened today across a swathe of the north, hasn't it? OK, it's advice not command, for now anyway... but it's not remotely consistent with announcing the removal of all restrictions everywhere next Monday to come into force the week after that.

Whatever happens, the vaccines will work enough for everyone, and sooner than the autumn. But I really thought that, this time, for once, the government wouldn't muck things up by preliminary hype.
    It's not (entirely) their fault that the vaccination programme isn't quite where we wanted it to be by now. It's not (entirely) their fault that they let the new variant in before the UK was ready.
    But there's also a good chunk of "They botched this. Again. Because they're not fit to govern."
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    Taz said:

Hope they put it back.
    They did. In fact, Grandma Sturgeon (no relation to Scottish FM) has caught & released before, more than once.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

A straw poll. How many PBers had a portrait of HM up in their Common Room, Students Union or Staff Canteen?

No, no, no.

Does anyone outside of some very traditional or posh or official government places ?

And is there a reason you're asking ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

"@PoliticsForAlI

Areya Stark? A question to a stripper?
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, no, no.

Does anyone outside of some very traditional or posh or official government places ?

And is there a reason your asking ?
    I had a statue of her uncle outside my college. Does that count?

(It got decapitated by some random nutter for reasons which I forget.)
  • Options
    O/T bit U.K. vaccines. It does seem anecdotally that at least prt of the slow pace of vaccination (and probably what is preventing a free for all is this self imposed restriction to U40s). I wonder where we’d be for numbers if that hadn’t been implemented?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Urrg. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

‘Fauci's words are stunning: "You don't wanna go to Hoboken New Jersey or to Fairfax Virginia to be studying the bat-human interface. THAT MIGHT LEAD TO AN OUTBREAK. So you go to China.”’

How does Fauci survive these remarks? He’s now admitting he funded gain-of-function research to make bat coronaviruses nastier. And the reason he funded this science in Wuhan is because such research is dangerous, might cause a pandemic, and he didn’t want to take that risk in America

That seems incredibly aggressively clipped. Would love to see the surrounding context.
    I've watched it all, and debated it with some other lab-leakers. Yes, we're a tribe! I am actually talking with Richard Ebright, the Prof of Chemistry at Rutgers, and one of the leading early doubters about natural, non-lab zoonosis

Anyway we have decided to give Fauci the benefit of the doubt, to an extent, on this quote. He is probably trying to say, in a garbled way, that it is better to do the research in China because that is where the bat-interface is - ie in the caves of Yunnan - so there's no point in spreading the risk of a leak by bringing the research back to the USA. He's not saying Chinese lives are worth less

However, he is, it seems, admitting that this research IS dangerous, and might cause an outbreak

Elsewhere in the same interview Fauci tells two outright lies. He suggests the Wuhan lab is excellent and reputable (it isn't, US observers raised grave fears about Wuhan's biosecuirity in 2017) and he denies any link between the lab and the Chinese military, which is nonsense: there is ample evidence of links, including a State Department report in early 2020

Why is Fauci telling all these apparent lies? He knows he's in deep shit. I expect one day soon he will be grilled about all this much more forensically
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, no, no.

And is there a reason your asking ?
    Just wondering how unusual Magdalen MCR was in the first place.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Leon said:

That provides the excuse but it’s not the reason. Even with the Delta variant it’s clear that the goalposts are being shifted. The “data not dates” roadmap was presumably based on something approximating midpoint scenarios for rising cases, hospitalisations and deaths. Whilst case numbers are probably keeping up with that, hospitalisations and deaths absolutely are not.

So whatever “data” they were anticipating for decisions in March is now just being blatantly overridden
    I suspect that Boris is functionally innumerate ** and easily swayed by 'scary graphs'.

** This would also help to explain his chaotic personal finances.
  • Options
    I'm coming round to Covid passports for the double vaxxed so we won't have to endure any further lockdown restrictions.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

"@PoliticsForAlI

Areya Stark? A question to a stripper?
    Could be followed up when she seems depressed late at night with ‘are you maudlin?’
  • Options

I'm coming round to Covid passports for the double vaxxed so we won't have to endure any further lockdown restrictions.

Locking Indie Sage up in an oubliette with heavy duty gags for eight weeks would achieve the same effect much more cheaply.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

2017:

It came from the lab!
    Newbie. I was involved in intergovernmental discussions of Ron and Yoshi's work back in 2011. Yoshi, btw is a fun dinner companion, Ron not so much.

BTW Just off the Zoom from a very interesting discussion of the Lab Leak hyphothesis. One of the leading scientists pushing the plausibility of the hypothesis (note, the plausibility of, not the fact of) mused that the original resistance of the scientific community to it was a knee-jerk response to Trump's insistence that it came from the lab. Oh, the irony.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

It doesn’t work, it’s nonsense. If pubs can only let in double vaxxed people (and have to employ extra security to enforce it), then they might as well stick to the existing rules. It’s not the double vaxxed who are going to be cramming into nightclubs or packing out pubs on Friday nights.

I’m in a pub now - about 30 people, two members of staff. How on earth do they afford to start enforcing double vax rules?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Leon said:

2017:

It came from the lab!
    I'd only seen bits and pieces on twitter and did think some of the Fauci emails looked pretty bad for him but I hadn't looked at the details until now. As you pointed out, the attempted cover up in the US could have serious political consequences.
    Yes, once you start digging, a huge cavern opens up, and you tumble into the darkness: it is exciting and exhilarating

What makes it even more exciting, is that you can do original detective work by yourself, sitting at home, on a laptop. I've done some myself. Felt like a proper Sherlock

See this remarkable story

"Exclusive: How Amateur Sleuths Broke the Wuhan Lab Story and Embarrassed the Media"

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-how-amateur-sleuths-broke-wuhan-lab-story-embarrassed-media-1596958

One of the main investigators that blew this story open is an unemployed Indian dude, just sitting in his kitchen. A brilliant article

• Options
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I've watched it all, and debated it with some other lab-leakers. Yes, we're a tribe! I am actually talking with Richard Ebright, the Prof of Chemistry at Rutgers, and one of the leading early doubters about natural, non-lab zoonosis

Anyway we have decided to give Fauci the benefit of the doubt, to an extent, on this quote. He is probably trying to say, in a garbled way, that it is better to do the research in China because that is where the bat-interface is - ie in the caves of Yunnan - so there's no point in spreading the risk of a leak by bringing the research back to the USA. He's not saying Chinese lives are worth less

However, he is, it seems, admitting that this research IS dangerous, and might cause an outbreak

Elsewhere in the same interview Fauci tells two outright lies. He suggests the Wuhan lab is excellent and reputable (it isn't, US observers raised grave fears about Wuhan's biosecuirity in 2017) and he denies any link between the lab and the Chinese military, which is nonsense: there is ample evidence of links, including a State Department report in early 2020

Why is Fauci telling all these apparent lies? He knows he's in deep shit. I expect one day soon he will be grilled about all this much more forensically
    A small lab leak in China which killed a few dozen would mean fuck all.

A small lab leak in the USA which killed a few dozen would get you in serious legal problems.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

It doesn’t work, it’s nonsense. If pubs can only let in double vaxxed people (and have to employ extra security to enforce it), then they might as well stick to the existing rules. It’s not the double vaxxed who are going to be cramming into nightclubs or packing out pubs on Friday nights.

I’m in a pub now - about 30 people, two members of staff. How on earth do they afford to start enforcing double vax rules?
    Plus me, a double vaccinated person, doesn't give a sh*t if the people around me are vaccinated or not. Why would I care?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280

I think we should wait and see what happens.

They will make a decision by a week Friday.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Locking Indie Sage up in an oubliette with heavy duty gags for eight weeks would achieve the same effect much more cheaply.
    Can we do that even if we unlock on time?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A small lab leak in the USA which killed a few dozen would get you in serious legal problems.
    Actually, as small lab leak in China could result in the Director's execution.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    This may be the wrong audience but can ANYONE on this thread explain why the government might be considering extending restrictions beyond July 21.

The data is simply meh, and even if our vaccination is slightly delayed, there’s no evidence the NHS is under stress.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Does anyone know what age range European countries are currently vaccinating ?

Not approved for vaccinating but actually vaccinating.

I've read that Italy and Poland are currently vaccinating 12-15 year olds.

If so doesn't that suggest that they're rapidly running out of people wishing to be vaccinated ?

Possibly, but it could also suggest that the medical alterities there have calculated that the younger people are more likely to catch and spread it because they socialise more, spend time in lecher thetas together/ work in costumer facing jobs at pubs and restaurants, and therefor, by vaccinating a good chunk of this age range, they eliminate/reduce the change of another 'wave' rather than by just going from oldest to youngest.

Not saying that's what they are doing, just that it seems a plausible strategy,

Talking of which, I think vaccinating the 18-30 year olds that which to have one in the UK with have a mammoth effect on bringing down infections.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

Or just follow what the EU are doing and cut back on testing. If Delta is genuinely a problem then we’re already screwed. Lots of testing really doesn’t do anything unless it’s going to result in a massive reversal on the lifting of restrictions thus far. They need to focus on hospitalisations, and even more focus on the severity of illness if those in hospitals.

The problem is that they’re so pleased with being top of the table for genomic testing and variant identification, that they’re failing to question whether it is actually helping.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

2017:

It came from the lab!
    Newbie. I was involved in intergovernmental discussions of Ron and Yoshi's work back in 2011. Yoshi, btw is a fun dinner companion, Ron not so much.

BTW Just off the Zoom from a very interesting discussion of the Lab Leak hyphothesis. One of the leading scientists pushing the plausibility of the hypothesis (note, the plausibility of, not the fact of) mused that the original resistance of the scientific community to it was a knee-jerk response to Trump's insistence that it came from the lab. Oh, the irony.
    Yes, of course it was Trump: Trump Derangement Syndrome, to be precise

There was the horrible possibility that if Trump's lab thesis was proved right, he would be vindicated, and win the election. That must have warped a few brains, and persuaded sensible people to lie

BTW I'm still not wholly convinced that it came from the lab. Tho I think it is the most likely explanation. What is indisputable is that there was a cover-up, both in America and in Britain, as the scientific Establishment tried to squash the Lab Leak hypothesis.

Nature and The Lancet were willing accomplices

https://unherd.com/2021/06/beijings-useful-idiots/
  • Options
    There goes the IPL contracts for Morgan & Buttler.

The England and Wales Cricket Board are investigating historic tweets posted by senior players Jos Buttler and Eoin Morgan after they appeared to mimic Indian people saying “Sir” in posts sent in 2017 and 2018.

The messages have been widely circulated on Twitter in the wake of the ECB’s decision to suspend Ollie Robinson for posts that were made in 2012 and 2013 when he was still a teenager.

Screenshots have also been shared of a message by Buttler in which he says “I always reply sir no1 else like me like you like me” and, separately, Morgan includes Buttler in a message which says, “Sir you're my favourite batsman”.

Some messages have since been deleted but, in the wake of the ECB’s crackdown over social media use, the governing body will investigate the latest posts to have come to light and decide whether action needs to be taken.

Although there are questions over the precise context of the tweets, they were written at a time when Buttler and Morgan were established England players and have caused offence on social media. Buttler is the current England vice-captain and he plays for the Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League.

Morgan, who plays for the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League, is the all-time leading run scorer and most capped player for England in limited overs matches, having been appointed one-day captain in 2015

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/08/ecb-face-questions-historic-jos-buttler-eoin-morgan-social-media/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

2017:

It came from the lab!
    Yes, once you start digging, a huge cavern opens up, and you tumble into the darkness: it is exciting and exhilarating

What makes it even more exciting, is that you can do original detective work by yourself, sitting at home, on a laptop. I've done some myself. Felt like a proper Sherlock

"Exclusive: How Amateur Sleuths Broke the Wuhan Lab Story and Embarrassed the Media"

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-how-amateur-sleuths-broke-wuhan-lab-story-embarrassed-media-1596958

One of the main investigators that blew this story open is an unemployed Indian dude, just sitting in his kitchen. A brilliant article

Like Q-Anon for beginners.
  • Options

As I argued on here months back. Israel used them. They work. And they will encourage anti-vaxxers to yield

• Options
    edited June 2021
    It’s good to know that it’s not just in England that education ministers are (a) totally fucking stupid (b) quite extraordinarily dishonest or (c) both.

School assessments: Education secretary makes 'cast-iron' guarantee
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57405037

Scotland is already shaping up to be a worse mess than last year given the bizarre system they have put in place. Giving a pledge like that is just asking for trouble.

I’m aware that this has very personal implications for a number of posters. But it’s no good blinking at facts.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    If the Middle Common Room have any sense of humour they will vote to put up a picture of Queen.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

2017:

It came from the lab!

Like Q-Anon for beginners.
    It really, really isn't. Nitwit
  • Options
    Given how much Boris Johnson wanted to suck up to Modi for a trade deal and led to the Indian variant becoming dominant here I fully expect Boris Johnson to urge the sacking of Buttler and Morgan.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Which would give them something of an incentive to cover problems up.

But what would worry some US topbods more - someone in China being executed or themselves facing legal action in the USA ?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

The England and Wales Cricket Board are investigating historic tweets posted by senior players Jos Buttler and Eoin Morgan after they appeared to mimic Indian people saying “Sir” in posts sent in 2017 and 2018.

The messages have been widely circulated on Twitter in the wake of the ECB’s decision to suspend Ollie Robinson for posts that were made in 2012 and 2013 when he was still a teenager.

Screenshots have also been shared of a message by Buttler in which he says “I always reply sir no1 else like me like you like me” and, separately, Morgan includes Buttler in a message which says, “Sir you're my favourite batsman”.

Some messages have since been deleted but, in the wake of the ECB’s crackdown over social media use, the governing body will investigate the latest posts to have come to light and decide whether action needs to be taken.

Although there are questions over the precise context of the tweets, they were written at a time when Buttler and Morgan were established England players and have caused offence on social media. Buttler is the current England vice-captain and he plays for the Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League.

Morgan, who plays for the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League, is the all-time leading run scorer and most capped player for England in limited overs matches, having been appointed one-day captain in 2015

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/08/ecb-face-questions-historic-jos-buttler-eoin-morgan-social-media/

I doubt it will have any impact on their IPL contracts. I suspect the Indians couldn’t care less.

Presumably the ECB will now feel they have to do something though.

It’s just absurd.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Send her victorious

• Options
    alex_ said:

I doubt it will have any impact on their IPL contracts. I suspect the Indians couldn’t care less.

Presumably the ECB will now have to do something though.
    They hired David Warner knowing he’s an actual cheat, liar, racist bully and crook. Are they really going to get worked up over this?
  • Options
    @Charles, could I possibly pick your brains? Would you happen to have any advice for a charity wanting to adopt an ESG policy for its investments?

If you'd be willing, could I pm you?

(If any other PB'ers are knowledgeable on this topic the same question applies!)

--AS
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

Ah the woman whose palace had an actual don't hire ethnic minorities policy and is exempt from equalities legislation.

She should be cancelled.
  • Options
    Completely OT, but I see Macron is continuing the fine old French tradition of the President getting lots of action from slappers.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

Ah the woman whose palace had an actual don't hire ethnic minorities policy and is exempt from equalities legislation.

She should be cancelled.
    Meh. Your trolling on the monarchy is water off a duck's back now. You try too hard.

Gentle hint: try being less predictable, and funnier?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

They hired David Warner knowing he’s an actual cheat, liar, racist bully and crook. Are they really going to get worked up over this?
    There would be something of an irony if ECB action for mocking indian linguistic mannerisms leads to them spending less time playing cricket for England and more time playing cricket in India.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Not that it’s at the forefront but delays to June 21st, especially a four week (minimum) delay must have serious implications for some massive U.K. sporting events. We are a major host for the European Championships, Wimbledon is start of July, British Grand Prix from 16th. Where does it end...?

Covid has if nothing been a showcase for amazing contradictions and inconsistencies, so it would not remotely surprise me to see all of those things going ahead with some crowds whilst at the same time the government freaking out and extending other restrictions.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UArQNEqZjAY
  • Options
    VompVomp Posts: 36
    edited June 2021
    MattW said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

I can't tell whether you are playing a tiny violin about Craig Murray losing, or Scotland's high judicial system going to hell in a handcart.

Malc is right imo on this - Murray did no more than nearly a whole football team of journalists, and I think the only ones that have been gone for are Murray and one other who are both broadly sympathetic to Salmond.
    The U.K. Supreme Court is going to kick that straight out, surely?

He didn’t name names, and you couldn’t work out names from his posts.

You could, if you already knew the names, work backwards, but that’s the wrong way around.
    The UKSC has no jurisdiction in Scottish criminal matters. There's no appeal from the Scottish High Court.
    So why did they need to reject an application if one is not possible?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19358229.judges-refuse-appeal-attempt-former-diplomat-craig-murray-guilty-alex-salmond-trial-contempt/

The SCUK does have jurisdiction in some Scottish criminal matters:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/docs/jurisdiction-of-the-supreme-court-in-scottish-appeals-human-rights-the-scotland-act-2012-and-the-courts-reform-scotland-act-2014.pdf

CM's case for getting leave from the SCUK to appeal to the SCUK looks weak. "All the other boys did it too" is essentially saying that the prosecutors abused process by bringing the case against him in particular but not against the other boys. If he said that at his trial then the matter has already been decided and it's not something you can appeal to the SCUK about in a Scottish criminal case. If he didn't say it, then ditto. He should forget that track because it won't lead anywhere.

I doubt he will be allowed to appeal on the grounds that the doctrine of jigsaw identification is cobblers either.

And saying nobody could have identified the witnesses using what he wrote in his blog has little mileage. (No inside information was required to do precisely that, and not a lot of brains were needed either.)

What remains is very tenuous. He'll have to argue that he didn't get the fair trial that he was entitled to under the European Convention on Human Rights. But in what way didn't he? He keeps saying he had a right as a journalist to report the defence case, but there's no First Amendment here and if he thinks the order against him was wrong he should have gone to court to get it lifted or nullified, eventually taking it to the SCUK if necessary because the SCUK does have the authority to strike down the section of the Contempt of Court Act that empowers a judge to make the kind of order that was slapped on him that he was later found to have breached. Instead he went to his keyboard and posted to his blog. Really bad move.

If I were advising him I'd say prepare for doing time or run.

Going by what he's written on his blog, he seems to have been naive enough to think he'd get away with a non-custodial if he was convicted of contempt of court. Seriously?

If he wants to fight, then the best thing tactically would be to goad Nicola Sturgeon into getting involved somehow.

Alex Salmond, although innocent of course of the serious crimes of which he was accused, is nonetheless an utterly dishonourable cad for not giving Murray his public support. He doesn't even say "I have a view about his action but I will wait until the conclusion of the judicial process before commenting". He just keeps his mouth completely shut. Arsehole.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

She should be cancelled.
    Meh. Your trolling on the monarchy is water off a duck's back now. You try too hard.

It is not trolling it is fact.

Just imagine if she had a no Jews policy.
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what would worry some US topbods more - someone in China being executed or themselves facing legal action in the USA ?
    Quite a few people in the UK are also in the firing line. Daszak (a Brit). Horton at the Lancet. The editors of Nature. Farrar at the Wellcome Trust. Vallance is implicated: he was at the virtual meeting when Fauci allegedly revealed the USG's suspicions of a lab leak - even as they told the dumb public this was a *racist conspiracy theory*.

See here:

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1401756704472195073?s=20
  • Options
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

There would be something of an irony if ECB action for mocking indian linguistic mannerisms leads to them spending less time playing cricket for England and more time playing cricket in India.
    I don’t think that time is too far away for Morgan anyway. Losing Buttler would be a big blow for the one day team, not necessarily for the Test team.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Completely OT, but I see Macron is continuing the fine old French tradition of the President getting lots of action from slappers.

I genuinely expect he is currently right now exploring French law to find out if there is some offence still subject to the guillotine.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

The system is currently offering me Sat 14 August for my second jab (11 weeks after my first), but I’m not booking for two reasons.

Firstly I was told at my first jab to wait for my GP to phone me and book me in for my second jab, which would be 8-10 weeks after my first. Secondly, 14 August is the first day of the season and I would like to be at the first game back. So I’m happy to leave it until later in July before committing.

If the government says that I can’t go to football until x days after my second jab, I will go anyway and protest outside the ground.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Chameleon said:

They've done an interesting thing to Reading. Two former marginals been carved up into dead certain Labour and certain Con seats. When I was having a go at doing the boundaries myself it was just about the only way that Berkshire semi-worked.

Slightly favours the Tories perhaps - Reading East was long term a more solid Labour seat than Reading West a Tory one I think.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

She should be cancelled.

Still poor. In fact, even worse.

You're much better on other subjects.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

My hospital has a portrait of her in the old main entrance, next to the plaque she unveiled in 1977.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    MaxPB said:

It is more that the scientists have been captured by the incompetent government. If Delta had not been so widely seeded so early then we would not be in this mess. The percentage change in reported weekly cases keeps going up, every day. It’s at just over 60% at the moment. If it simply stops at that figure then this time next month we will be at 40,000 cases per day - roughly where we were at Christmas. If it keeps going up then we will be there, and beyond, a lot quicker. That’s further lockdown territory. All because Johnson didn’t want to upset Modi to get a trade deal.

It’s not “doom mongering scientists” who will be at fault if that happens. It will be Johnson’s determination to go to Delhi long after it was clear that was not possible. Hopefully it won’t and the hopeful trajectory of Bolton will be followed but if it does then don’t blame the scientists, Blame Johnson.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Quite a few people in the UK are also in the firing line. Daszak (a Brit). Horton at the Lancet. The editors of Nature. Farrar at the Wellcome Trust. Vallance is implicated: he was at the virtual meeting when Fauci allegedly revealed the USG's suspicions of a lab leak - even as they told the dumb public this was a *racist conspiracy theory*.

See here:

It lab leak theory being true and it being a “racist conspiracy theory” are not actually mutually inconsistent.
  • Options

If the Middle Common Room have any sense of humour they will vote to put up a picture of Queen.

If Freddie Mercury ever gets cancelled then all this will have completely jumped the shark.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

I genuinely expect he is currently right now exploring French law to find out if there is some offence still subject to the guillotine.
    He’d have to withdraw France from the EU first *innocent face*
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

She should be cancelled.

So you're ok with the racist hiring policies of the palace?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/02/buckingham-palace-banned-ethnic-minorities-from-office-roles-papers-reveal
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    edited June 2021

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Covid has if nothing been a showcase for amazing contradictions and inconsistencies, so it would not remotely surprise me to see all of those things going ahead with some crowds whilst at the same time the government freaking out and extending other restrictions.
    The government can treat the post 21 June Euro 2020 games as 'Covid test events' with permitted crowds steadily increasing up to 90,000 for the final...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See here:

It lab leak theory being true and it being a “racist conspiracy theory” are not actually mutually inconsistent.
    True but uninteresting
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

It is more that the scientists have been captured by the incompetent government. If Delta had not been so widely seeded so early then we would not be in this mess. The percentage change in reported weekly cases keeps going up, every day. It’s at just over 60% at the moment. If it simply stops at that figure then this time next month we will be at 40,000 cases per day - roughly where we were at Christmas. If it keeps going up then we will be there, and beyond, a lot quicker. That’s further lockdown territory. All because Johnson didn’t want to upset Modi to get a trade deal.

It’s not “doom mongering scientists” who will be at fault if that happens. It will be Johnson’s determination to go to Delhi long after it was clear that was not possible. Hopefully it won’t and the hopeful trajectory of Bolton will be followed but if it does then don’t blame the scientists, Blame Johnson.
    If that scenario is true though, it will be all over Europe again. Because they are less vaxxed, unlocking as fast, if not faster, and not testing for it. So either it will pass relatively harmlessly through unvaccinated youngsters... or everyone will be screwed. I just don’t buy this idea the the U.K. is uniquely affected and vulnerable.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

She should be cancelled.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/02/buckingham-palace-banned-ethnic-minorities-from-office-roles-papers-reveal
    In the Sixties flagrant racism was quite common. We have all moved on quite a bit from then, the past is a foreign country. They do things differently there.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

I'm afraid that is absolutely right. And the narrative will be - UK government completely fucked up the first stages of the virus, then saved themselves with a brilliant vaccine policy, then threw it all away, and worse, with an insane, inexplicable mistake (made time and again) in not closing the borders
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    alex_ said:

DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

If that scenario is true though, it will be all over Europe again. Because they are less vaxxed, unlocking as fast, if not faster, and not testing for it. So either it will pass relatively harmlessly through unvaccinated youngsters... or everyone will be screwed. I just don’t buy this idea the the U.K. is uniquely affected and vulnerable.
    It was not as widely seeded in other parts of Europe. Yes, it will spread there, but later and from a narrower base allowing them to get vaccinated in time. We shot ourselves in the foot over this.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

But how is the question - this is the Indian variant tearing through the young (who are unaffected) and the antivaxxers (and who gives a toss if they die). Those numbers are stupid, to say the least.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

She should be cancelled.

Not rising to it mate.

How's Dore tonight?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Send her victorious

She should be cancelled.

In the Sixties flagrant racism was quite common. We have all moved on quite a bit from then, the past is a foreign country. They do things differently there.
    Yet currently.

Documents also shed light on Queen’s ongoing exemption from race and sex discrimination laws
  • Options
    Leon said:

alex_ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See here:

True but uninteresting
    But it is at the heart of the justification for a “cover up” (if it happened). If Trump had actually been interested in working with his intelligence agencies/scientists/whatever rather than seeing all of them as part of a massive conspiracy out to get him, then they would have been more relaxed about such theories being explored publicly, rather than need shutting down.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I can’t imagine India is particularly woke. I noticed one or two Indian cricketers were supportive of Robinson. It’s a shame that the press automatically turn to Carberry who has his gripes with the ECB and motormouth Ramprakash rather than the masses of other former cricketers who would have a more measured approach, but I suppose they wouldn’t give the media the fan for the flames they crave.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Too racist for the Tele? Will GB News have her? Though that Mickey Mouse on Helium voice is not designed for broadcasting of any sort.

https://twitter.com/nadine_writes/status/1402292181222756361?s=21
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

Leon said:

alex_ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See here:

True but uninteresting
    But it is at the heart of the justification for a “cover up” (if it happened). If Trump had actually been interested in working with his intelligence agencies/scientists/whatever rather than seeing all of them as part of a massive conspiracy out to get him, then they would have been more relaxed about such theories being explored publicly, rather than need shutting down.
    Bollocks

Trump was an odious madman, but the lab leak hypothesis was clearly plausible, and clearly needed investigating, from the get go. Blaming Trump is a feeble excuse advanced by people who are embarrassed by their earlier errors, or, worse, incriminated in the cover-up

PS: a cover up DEFINITELY happened. Read this entirely convincing Vanity Fair piece (or many many others)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06/the-lab-leak-theory-inside-the-fight-to-uncover-covid-19s-origins
  • Options

Too racist for the Tele? Will GB News have her? Though that Mickey Mouse on Helium voice is not designed for broadcasting of any sort.

https://twitter.com/nadine_writes/status/1402292181222756361?s=21

Typically woke media cancelling the innocent.
This discussion has been closed.