Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By far the biggest concern of MPs today – what’s happening to their constituency in the boundary rev

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited June 2021 in General
imageBy far the biggest concern of MPs today – what’s happening to their constituency in the boundary review – politicalbetting.com

Later on today every single MP will get a special letter directed to them alone on what is planned to happen to their seats in the new boundaries that will take effect during 2023. It won’t be till some time later that the full report is issued though we are likely to see a lot of information coming from individual MPs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021
    Interesting stuff. How many sets of proposed new boundaries is that since the last national changes? I've lost count.

I wonder if this lot will get implemented?

I'm still sorry we haven't slimmed our bloated Lower House. The Americans manage with 435.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited June 2021
    The proposed boundary changes post Brexit are not necessarily as favourable to the Tories as they would have been in 2010 or 2015 for example.

In 2019 the Tories got a higher voteshare in the East and East Midlands than the South East and their biggest increase in voteshare in the West Midlands and Labour got its best result and highest voteshare in London not the NorthEast.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    Qantas 'disturbed' by claims of gang infiltration

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57379984

Wide use of encrypted phones...interesting tit bit, encrochat operation apparently was brought to an early end, because a low level British police intelligence handler that was working in the NW leaked it to local criminals that their network had been comprised.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

The proposed boundary changes post Brexit are not necessarily as favourable to the Tories as they would have been in 2010 or 2015 for example.

In 2019 the Tories got a higher voteshare in the East and East Midlands than the South East and their biggest increase in voteshare in the West Midlands and Labour got its best result in London not the North.

That's right - the changing electoral geography means that many former assumptions are obsolete.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212

HYUFD said:

In 2019 the Tories got a higher voteshare in the East and East Midlands than the South East and their biggest increase in voteshare in the West Midlands and Labour got its best result in London not the North.

That's right - the changing electoral geography means that many former assumptions are obsolete.
    Whilst I think that is true an extra 7 seats in the SE really ought to favour the Tories a bit, as should the reduction in Wales. Not as good for them as it would have been historically but still better, maybe 5-10 seats net gain?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    FPT, I just noticed @Kinablu's well argued post saying why the Right won't win the culture wars. Two things that just wanted to highlight:

1. It's interesting that Kinablu's view is they see a victory for the Right in the culture wars as meaning we get such delights as mandatory statues to slave traders and so on. I can't speak for all but I would see a "victory" as meaning that all are equal and treated equally, and that we are viewed as individuals with our thoughts and ideas, and not that we are pigeon-holed into blocks that are supposed to think the same way, talk the same way etc based on our skin colour, secuality etc.

2. The idea that the advance of "progressive" ideas is always inevitable is also wrong. The best example of that is the promotion of Adult-Child relationships in the 1970s by the likes of PIE and their supporters. For the 1970s, "wokesters", it was the equivalent of the gender identity arguments of today. Needless to say, the former argument doesn't look so great 40+ years on.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Fingers crossed that Shipley gets merged out of existence and Philip Davies ends up as Esther's hired help.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    Fishing said:

Interesting stuff. How many sets of proposed new boundaries is that since the last national changes? I've lost count.

I'm still sorry we haven't slimmed our bloated Lower House. The Americans manage with 435.

Once you factor in state and local government you would be hard pressed to make the claim that the US has a slimmed down political system. UK MPs have a huge caseload owing to our centralised system of government (at least in England). In that context I don't think 650 is an unreasonable number for our lower House. The House of Lords is another story of course.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In 2019 the Tories got a higher voteshare in the East and East Midlands than the South East and their biggest increase in voteshare in the West Midlands and Labour got its best result and highest voteshare in London not the NorthEast.

The Conservatives still virtually swept the board in the SE (74 vs 8) and Labour still won in the NE (19 vs 10) so we don't want to overdo that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

HYUFD said:

Wales is very over represented in the Commons, an average of 38,609 votes per constituency there in 2019.

Scotland was 46,764 and England 50,487. Northern Ireland was 44,391.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    I am just waiting to see which particular bit we get grafted on to make a super safe seat even more safe.
  • Options
    Of course if the Tories do have a net gain of 10 out of this, which they probably will, it makes Boris's majority effectively 100 which means that SKS would need to match Cameron's swing in 2010 to be in the game for PM. That seems....unlikely.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Once you factor in state and local government you would be hard pressed to make the claim that the US has a slimmed down political system. UK MPs have a huge caseload owing to our centralised system of government (at least in England). In that context I don't think 650 is an unreasonable number for our lower House. The House of Lords is another story of course.
    I lent my vote to the Tories in the Notts council elections that they have no excuses if they don't slim down the bloated two tier system of local Gov't here (They have a majority here now). Up to them whether they want to keep it or not - my ward is still Labour mind.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Of course if the Tories do have a net gain of 10 out of this, which they probably will, it makes Boris's majority effectively 100 which means that SKS would need to match Cameron's swing in 2010 to be in the game for PM. That seems....unlikely.

Though Cameron's swing of 4.95% in 2010 would still be rather easier for Starmer than Blair's swing of 10% in 1997, he remains in the game to get a hung parliament in 2024 even if he has near zero chance of a Labour majority, let alone a Blair style landslide
  • Options
    One to watch is Coventry South, if that gets Kenilworth bolted on it is goodnight Zara.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

FPT, I just noticed @Kinablu's well argued post saying why the Right won't win the culture wars. Two things that just wanted to highlight:

1. It's interesting that Kinablu's view is they see a victory for the Right in the culture wars as meaning we get such delights as mandatory statues to slave traders and so on. I can't speak for all but I would see a "victory" as meaning that all are equal and treated equally, and that we are viewed as individuals with our thoughts and ideas, and not that we are pigeon-holed into blocks that are supposed to think the same way, talk the same way etc based on our skin colour, secuality etc.

2. The idea that the advance of "progressive" ideas is always inevitable is also wrong. The best example of that is the promotion of Adult-Child relationships in the 1970s by the likes of PIE and their supporters. For the 1970s, "wokesters", it was the equivalent of the gender identity arguments of today. Needless to say, the former argument doesn't look so great 40+ years on.

I would say that most progressive people would sign up wholeheartedly to your number 1 (maybe not all, but then progressives like conservatives are not a monolith). It's a bit like the Black Lives Matter versus All Lives Matter debate. Progressives say that Black Lives Matter because they think that all lives matter and they want to highlight the injustices that mean that right now some lives matter more than others. They interpret people saying All Lives Matter as an effort to downplay those injustices. Some people who say All Lives Matter may not be doing that, but some certainly are.
    On 2 I would agree. You only need to compare Weimar and Nazi Germany to see that history is not monotonic. Hopefully progressive ideals will win in the end but only if we fight for them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Effectively it's surely 109 because of the Sinn Feiners and Hartlepool?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    MrEd said:

On the latter point the other favourite that is brought up is eugenics. I think the answer is one that exposes the tautology of the definition of "progressive". Any ideas that end up being rejected were not progressive at all, but were mistakes.

On the positive side, this view is of an ideology open to challenge, debate and amendment. But then it means that victory is assured, because anything that changes is by definition progress, and hence progressive. And it doesn't tell us much about what will be regarded in the future as obviously right (veganism? gender self-ID?) in the way that has mostly occurred for gay rights in the West.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives still virtually swept the board in the SE (74 vs 8) and Labour still won in the NE (19 vs 10) so we don't want to overdo that.
    True but the trend is there and a number of Tory seats in the SE like Esher and Walton were only won by narrow majorities over the LDs mainly to keep out Corbyn.

In 2010 also Labour won 25 seats in the NE to just 2 for the Tories so the North-South divide politically is much less strong than it was a decade ago
  • Options

Fishing said:

Once you factor in state and local government you would be hard pressed to make the claim that the US has a slimmed down political system. UK MPs have a huge caseload owing to our centralised system of government (at least in England).
    They are so overworked that 112 of them manage to have second jobs.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Though Cameron's swing of 4.95% in 2010 would still be rather easier for Starmer than Blair's swing of 10% in 1997, he remains in the game to get a hung parliament in 2024 even if he has near zero chance of a Labour majority, let alone a Blair style landslide
    Oh its still possible. Events and all that. We are in for a somewhat exciting ride economically which will definitely have losers as well as winners. Sooner or later the brakes are going to have to come on but I think that Boris will be wanting that to happen after the election and it seems that his latest chum in the White House is very much of the same view with a similar timetable in mind.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One to watch is Coventry South, if that gets Kenilworth bolted on it is goodnight Zara.

Coventry gets 3 seats stand alone but does require a ward swap
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Once you factor in state and local government you would be hard pressed to make the claim that the US has a slimmed down political system. UK MPs have a huge caseload owing to our centralised system of government (at least in England).

Not nearly enough. I wish more of them had up to date real world experience.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,743
    Pulpstar said:

Although Kenilworth itself is getting a bit fragile from a Tory point of view. Greens and Libdems dominate the parish council.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,577
    I would say the unstoppable march of "progressive" ideas through history is more the unstoppable march of utilitarian ideas tempered by compassion, in defiance of moral systems that cause harm.

Where a new, "progressive" idea leads to demonstrable and recordable harm that outweighs any benefit (the PIE being a good example, Eugenics or forced sterilisation another) then it doesn't stick. On the other hand where entrenched morality causes demonstrable harm while the solution harms nothing except people's sense of moral virtue - for example banning homosexuality or maintaining racial segregation - then eventually it gets undermined and replaced. The tricky ones, where two sides are able to argue actual harm caused by the status quo or the change respectively, are the ones that don't seem to change quickly. Euthanasia and drug legalisation being two current examples.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Fishing said:

Indeed. I have five tiers of government: village, town, county, state and federal. I get to vote for a chief executive at each of those levels, and I have at least eleven legislators representing me across all five levels (six village trustees, one county legislator, one state representative and one state senator, and one US representative and one US senator. I say “at least” because I don’t think I have a town-level representative as the village exercises almost all the functions of the town. Oh, and there’s the school board. Not sure how many are on that as I’ve never bothered to vote in that election (which is held separately from the others with different polling places). Plus there’s various local and state judges that are elected too. In most NY counties, I’d also get to vote for the county sheriff, but in Westchester that post is held by the chief of the county police who’s appointed by the (elected) county executive.

So arguably we are a lot more “governed” in the US than in the UK, but of course it’s not exactly comparable, as the things that governments do are different between the two countries (I mean, our buses and commuter trains are run by the county and state governments respectively!).

Yes, it’s clearly not as efficient here, and it’s expensive (I pay maybe ten times more in local property taxes for the village, school board, town and county than I paid in council tax in the UK. Yet there are advantages in that there is a real sense of local communities clearly governing themselves. I feel the UK has centralized local government in the pursuit of efficiency far more than it should have.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

The SF position has been similar for a long time now. I was struck that Boris would be in a somewhat better position to Brown before the 2010 election. Brown went into that with 349MPs, Boris currently has 366 and this might push him to an effective 376.

Of course you can lose from there but its getting harder and harder and I am wondering if the odds on a Tory majority fully reflect that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Fishing said:

DavidL said:

The SF position has been similar for a long time now. I was struck that Boris would be in a somewhat better position to Brown before the 2010 election. Brown went into that with 349MPs, Boris currently has 366 and this might push him to an effective 376.

Of course you can lose from there but its getting harder and harder and I am wondering if the odds on a Tory majority fully reflect that.
    True but Brown at least had a chance of a deal with the LDs in the 2010 hung parliament, or at least Labour did had they replaced Brown with Miliband.

Boris has no chance of any deal with any minor party in 2010 except maybe the DUP but even that is unlikely now unless he removes the Irish Sea border.

So Boris really needs to win another outright majority in 2024 for the Tories to stay in power, or at least get close enough that only the opposition parties combined + SF have more seats than the Tories
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    TimS said:

I would say the unstoppable march of "progressive" ideas through history is more the unstoppable march of utilitarian ideas tempered by compassion, in defiance of moral systems that cause harm.

Where a new, "progressive" idea leads to demonstrable and recordable harm that outweighs any benefit (the PIE being a good example, Eugenics or forced sterilisation another) then it doesn't stick. On the other hand where entrenched morality causes demonstrable harm while the solution harms nothing except people's sense of moral virtue - for example banning homosexuality or maintaining racial segregation - then eventually it gets undermined and replaced. The tricky ones, where two sides are able to argue actual harm caused by the status quo or the change respectively, are the ones that don't seem to change quickly. Euthanasia and drug legalisation being two current examples.

Personally I am more of the view that the idea of progress is a product of the enlightenment: faith in progress is a substitute for religion. People are driven by faith in a better future, but this would be an alien and absurd idea in most of human civilisation.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    edited June 2021

MrEd said:

On the latter point the other favourite that is brought up is eugenics. I think the answer is one that exposes the tautology of the definition of "progressive". Any ideas that end up being rejected were not progressive at all, but were mistakes.

On the positive side, this view is of an ideology open to challenge, debate and amendment. But then it means that victory is assured, because anything that changes is by definition progress, and hence progressive. And it doesn't tell us much about what will be regarded in the future as obviously right (veganism? gender self-ID?) in the way that has mostly occurred for gay rights in the West.
    Some Middle Eastern societies were a good deal more progressive 40 - 50 years ago than they are today.

As you imply, notions of what is progressive can differ over time. We might very well have become a society in which the persecution of adult-child relationships came to be seen as abhorrent, and eugenics was seen as entirely rational . I'm glad we didn't - but if we had, we'd regard the arguments against these things as reactionary throwbacks.

Communism is a good example of a progressive idea that turned out to be a bad mistake.
  • Options
    My understanding is the English boundary commission is to publish its initial proposals tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BCEReviews/status/1400002269110751241

However, the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish boundary commission are probably not due to release their initial proposals until the autumn.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Pulpstar said:

Coventry gets 3 seats stand alone but does require a ward swap
    A trade of St Michael's for Lower Stoke between North East and South looks the best option to me. It's both geographically neat and bumps south up to quota without taking North East under.
    Kenilworth would have been added had we gone to 600 seats but obviously that's not going to happen now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Not nearly enough. I wish more of them had up to date real world experience.
    Well it depends on the experience of course - not all jobs add value and it's easy enough to see how it can encourage corruption, despite all the safeguards.

However, the point stands overall - it is difficult to argue that they are overworked when so many of them have second jobs.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190
    As with the proposed shake-up of local government I can't see how anything actually gets enacted considering how hyper-partisan things now are. Newly elected Tories in red wall north and midlands losing their seats as their government abolishes them and cuts representation? No chance.

Same with local government changes which are really needed. As absurd as some of the county / district council mashups are and how (morally and often now financially) bankrupt some of the unitaries are, something needs to be done.

Again, you cannot achieve change in a hyper-partisan environment where the changes are picky tweaks at best. Roll both issues together into a royal commission as to how the UK can be fit for the future in an age of nationalism and localism. A proper settlement for the nations where policy is largely devolved to the 4 national parliaments. A further devolution of powers into the new metro / regional structures.

As an example. The King of the North still has to contend with the various former metropolitan authorities. Do it properly, have Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire as the regional authority and a smaller slimmed down district council in somewhere like Rochdale implementing in their area the policies set in the region.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    edited June 2021
    Does anyone else think there must be more to Ollie Robinson’s suspension? Suspended pending investigation, but he hasn’t denied them, he is bang to rights (although I don’t think he has done anything wrong anyway) so what’s the investigation into? Maybe there’s is more, must be.

Comparison choice of Shamima Begum is beautifully dumb - someone who joked about Muslim women being ‘the bomb’, a play on words at worst, as if that is a horrendous fiction, & a Muslim woman that joined IS & enabled terrorists!

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Wide use of encrypted phones...interesting tit bit, encrochat operation apparently was brought to an early end, because a low level British police intelligence handler that was working in the NW leaked it to local criminals that their network had been comprised.

Airlines are caught up in this sort of activity quite regularly.

Usually it’s cabin crew smuggling stuff - they’re not well paid, but are good at putting on a well-dressed face to customs agents. Good mules for the gangs.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Does anyone else think there must be more to Ollie Robinson’s suspension? Suspended pending investigation, but he hasn’t denied them, he is bang to rights (although I don’t think he has done anything wrong anyway) so what’s the investigation into? Maybe there’s is more, must be.

Comparison choice of Shamima Begum is beautifully dumb - someone who joked about Muslim women being ‘the bomb’, a play on words at worst, as if that is a horrendous fiction, & a Muslim woman that joined IS & enabled terrorists!

It could be that having been caught out, the ECB don't want to pick him again and find there is something else...although remember this is the ECB we are talking about, they are useless.

The other thing is the ECB have a load of race related stuff in their in tray. They have just settled the dispute with the two black umpires, there is the claims by a few Asian cricketers of discrimination and racism suffered while playing in the county game, and the new head is trying to to have a big push diversity and inclusion.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

I suspect that an MP for a wealthy shire constituency probably has little casework and hence some free time to devote to a sideline, whereas an MP for an impoverished inner city seat is likely working flat out on casework. Would be interested to see the party breakdown, I suspect more Tory MPs have second jobs (but stand to be corrected).
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    A mere 20 years ago. 9 years later...

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    What about the crisis in the polling industry - all we seem to be getting these days are endless outliers despite Cummings/Morgan/Wallpaper/etc/etc!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Sandpit said:

Usually it’s cabin crew smuggling stuff - they’re not well paid, but are good at putting on a well-dressed face to customs agents. Good mules for the gangs.
    The Qantas bit wasn't surprisijg or interesting to me, it was the encrypted phone network.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited June 2021
    DougSeal said:

It appears to still be dead. Populism filled the void and took over the Tory party.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    TimS said:

Good post - but I'd argue the utilitarian argument is now quite strongly in favour of drug legalisation.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

While there's possibly some duplication its worth noting that if the Tories hoover up the Brexit vote, a la Hartlepool, then that's 15 gains right there.

Depending upon levels of duplication there it means a baseline of ~110 to 130 majority without any further swings.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Freedom of Movement + an uncharismatic Labour PM?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The Qantas bit wasn't surprisijg or interesting to me, it was the encrypted phone network.
    Presumably related to EncroChat, which got hacked by British and French spooks, and led to an awful lot of arrests last year. The authorities were able to read everyone’s messages, and a lot of criminals were very honest about their activities when they thought no-one could read them.

https://www.techspot.com/news/85868-police-hack-encrypted-phone-network-used-organize-drug.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611
    First Minister of Wales Mark Drakeford says all over 18 will have received a jab invite letter at the start of next week, to be administered by the end of June - 6 weeks ahead of schedule. He adds the target is for all second jabs to be completed by the end of September.

https://twitter.com/itssophiemorris/status/1401867527286931458?s=20
  • Options

isam said:

It could be that having been caught out, the ECB don't want to pick him again and find there is something else...although remember this is the ECB we are talking about, they are useless.

The other thing is the ECB have a load of race related stuff in their in tray. They have just settled the dispute with the two black umpires, there is the claims by a few Asian cricketers of discrimination and racism suffered while playing in the county game, and the new head is trying to to have a big push diversity and inclusion.
    The phrase of the moment is "out of an abundance of caution"...

I've little doubt the ECB are desperate to get him back in the team asap, as he looks a fine bowler; certainly he outbowled Anderson in the last test.
    And if there's nothing more to find, he'll back back pretty soon.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

It appears to still be dead. Populism filled the void and took over the Tory party.
    Why do people think Boris and co are populists? I don't get it.
  • Options
    From a kinder, gentler age...

My Time as (Probably) the Most Assaulted Cabinet Member in History
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/06/07/dan-glickman-book-agriculture-secretary-assaulted-491923
    ...I had all sorts of things tossed at me in my position as secretary of agriculture—organic seeds by naked men and women in Rome, bison guts in Montana and tofu pies in D.C. It turns out people really care about their food. In a way, I think my career was a preview of the incivility that would eventually engulf our politics; only instead of barrages of hateful tweets and public harassment, I got food thrown in my face....
  • Options

First Minister of Wales Mark Drakeford says all over 18 will have received a jab invite letter at the start of next week, to be administered by the end of June - 6 weeks ahead of schedule. He adds the target is for all second jabs to be completed by the end of September.

https://twitter.com/itssophiemorris/status/1401867527286931458?s=20

I have had a particularly trying morning with the Scottish vaccination system. Firstly, my appointment was fixed for Friday when I am in court so I had to register with them to change it. This proved particularly clunky with lots of deletions of data already provided but eventually I managed it. Then I found that there were no appointments near me showing before the end of July. This involved checking each potential site day by day. Then I made the mistake of phoning them. 30+minutes on hold I am told that there are no available appointments anywhere right now but to try again in a couple of days. Tried again 2 hours later and found a slot in Dundee on Saturday.

I cannot help but think such a clunky and unfriendly system is not exactly going to be boosting the vaccination rate.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I wonder if the ECB are shocked by the politicians wading into the Robinson debate? First item on Politics Live.
  • Options
    PamelaWPamelaW Posts: 20
    I would assume that Martin Baxter at Electoralcalculus will soon write an article there on how the new seats in England would have affected GE2019; he will produce similar for Scotland Wales & NI subsequently.

We will ultimately be able to see notional results for GE2019 and potential results of next GE taking into account swings of 1% 2% 3% 4% etc either Lab/Con Con/Lab Con/LD etc.

Also Rallings & Thrasher and other psychologists of course will produce their thoughts.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    Any thoughts on allowing full attendances at weddings from 21 June? That is the really big one but has hardly been discussed. A bride friend has to pay her final deposit this week and she's still in the dark thanks to the government's vacillation.
  • Options

Any thoughts on allowing full attendances at weddings from 21 June? That is the really big one but has hardly been discussed. A bride friend has to pay her final deposit this week and she's still in the dark thanks to the government's vacillation.

Capacity limits on venues is the only major domestic restriction remaining to remove, everything else can be guidance. It’s the acid test of 21st June.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    PamelaW said:

I would assume that Martin Baxter at Electoralcalculus will soon write an article there on how the new seats in England would have affected GE2019; he will produce similar for Scotland Wales & NI subsequently.

We will ultimately be able to see notional results for GE2019 and potential results of next GE taking into account swings of 1% 2% 3% 4% etc either Lab/Con Con/Lab Con/LD etc.

Also Rallings & Thrasher and other psychologists of course will produce their thoughts.

But when will the psephologists wade in?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

PamelaW said:

I suspect autocorrect was a little over zealous there
  • Options
    RobD said:

Vacillation? Wasn't the plan always to decide three weeks after the previous change had been made?
    RobD said:

Vacillation? Wasn't the plan always to decide three weeks after the previous change had been made?
    Nope. The wedding sector had been promised an update on 24 May - and has been hit with the usual wall of silence from Boris and friends.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    RobD said:

Yes - it was stated previously that the actual decision on the 21st will be announced on the 14th.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

PamelaW said:

We need Justin 124's input on how it all goes back to 1964....
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

There's a lot of conflating of populism and popular. Popular gets you an 80 seat majority. Those with whom Boris is unpopular just cannot understand it - and so fling shit instead.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

RobD said:

Nope. The wedding sector had been promised an update on 24 May - and has been hit with the usual wall of silence from Boris and friends.
    That does seem at odds with the idea for waiting for the recent changes to bed in. Who promised this?
  • Options
    isam said:

DougSeal said:

...more likely a financial crash followed by Brexit and Corbyn, but then as that doesn't fit your narrative, I will concede defeat.

The garrulous will inherit the earth and the meek receive nothing
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited June 2021
    Monkeys said:

Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

Because they are. See Gove's "people have had enough of experts" comment.

The government is using social media, trad media, focus groups and polling to establish what most people want and government policy follows this. Populism is, then, rule by the low-information masses; government by the ignorant, if you like.

Populism is, therefore, necessarily disconnected from the underlying ideology that political parties should have, and up to now have had.

I despise populism. Ideology gets a bad rap. And a populist government, especially when led by a leader who is generally liked, is virtually impossible to dislodge.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes - it was stated previously that the actual decision on the 21st will be announced on the 14th.
    That’s a delay. The weddings industry was promised an update on 24 May. Big problems coming if the government delay…
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

As with the proposed shake-up of local government I can't see how anything actually gets enacted considering how hyper-partisan things now are. Newly elected Tories in red wall north and midlands losing their seats as their government abolishes them and cuts representation? No chance.

Same with local government changes which are really needed. As absurd as some of the county / district council mashups are and how (morally and often now financially) bankrupt some of the unitaries are, something needs to be done.

Again, you cannot achieve change in a hyper-partisan environment where the changes are picky tweaks at best. Roll both issues together into a royal commission as to how the UK can be fit for the future in an age of nationalism and localism. A proper settlement for the nations where policy is largely devolved to the 4 national parliaments. A further devolution of powers into the new metro / regional structures.

As an example. The King of the North still has to contend with the various former metropolitan authorities. Do it properly, have Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire as the regional authority and a smaller slimmed down district council in somewhere like Rochdale implementing in their area the policies set in the region.

We need four levels of government.

4 District or Town
    3 County or Metro
    2 Region or Nation
    1 U.K.

The English seem to be averse to regional governments, which is their right, but there are certain elements around economic development and transport etc that are best planned regionally.

I would therefore simply create English regions which are governed by those representatives elected by constituent counties and metros.

For example, a Midlands region would be administered by a dedicated bureacracy, funded by a surcharge on Midlands voters, and governed by the leads of the constituent counties and metros with voting representation weighted according to population.

Apart from structure, a massive chunk of tax-raising (and thereby budget) authority should be transferred from Westminster to the counties and metros.

As PBers know; the U.K. one of most centralised countries on Earth (which among other things, is a drag on economic growth).
  • Options
    edited June 2021

isam said:

DougSeal said:

...more likely a financial crash followed by Brexit and Corbyn, but then as that doesn't fit your narrative, I will concede defeat.

My opinion does dove tail with my narrative quite a lot - what a shocker!

You don’t have to concede defeat, different views are allowed
  • Options

RobD said:

That’s a delay. The weddings industry was promised an update on 24 May. Big problems coming if the government delay…
    I'm asking who promised it. I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything, but it might be the keywords I am using.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,239
    Fishing said:

Monkeys said:

Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

Saying "he's a populist" essentially means "he's popular and I don't agree with him" .

"All individuals are subject to error and seduction, but not the people, which possesses to an eminent degree of consciousness of its own good and the measure of its independence. Because of that its judgement is pure, its will is strong, and none can corrupt or even threaten it."
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I'm asking who promised it. I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything, but it might be the keywords I am using.
    Trivially google-able. It’s amazing on here how many posters leap to the government’s defence without checking…
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-major-lockdown-weddings-updates-24125231
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Monkeys said:

Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

Saying "he's a populist" essentially means "he's popular and I don't agree with him" .
    No it isn't. It is saying "he is following popular opinion regardless of rationality, ideology or honesty". Not the same.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Trivially google-able. It’s amazing on here how many posters leap to the government’s defence without checking…
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-major-lockdown-weddings-updates-24125231
    Thanks, I was asking after all.

Anyway, if he said they would be getting 28 days notice in advance, and no notice has been given, that suggests it is unlikely to be given the green light.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    "German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said Monday that the right for individual EU member states to veto decisions must be scrapped, saying that the 27-member bloc cannot be hamstrung by single hold-outs"

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1401872819621879808
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330

RobD said:

RobD said:

That was changed back in mid-May, I thought?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

My opinion does dove tail with my narrative quite a lot - what a shocker!

You don’t have to concede defeat, different views are allowed
    Your narrative doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Heath in 1970, possibly even Mrs Thatcher in 1979 or even 1987, Major and certainly Mrs May versus "oh Jeremy Corbyn".
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Presumably related to EncroChat, which got hacked by British and French spooks, and led to an awful lot of arrests last year. The authorities were able to read everyone’s messages, and a lot of criminals were very honest about their activities when they thought no-one could read them.

https://www.techspot.com/news/85868-police-hack-encrypted-phone-network-used-organize-drug.html
    Although it has lead to a huge number of arrests of big players, its actually a big blow that the NW police intelligence unit had a mole, who leaked this to the criminal underworld. At the time, EncroChat and the criminals were totally unaware this was even possible.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Anyway, if he said they would be getting 28 days notice in advance, and no notice has been given, that suggests it is unlikely to be given the green light.
    It will be an absolute disaster for the industry – and for thousands of brides nationwide, many of whom are now on their third postponement. My friend has no interest in football, as is asking why Euro 2021 can have 22,500 fans at Wembley, but she cannot have 80 guests at her wedding.
  • Options

isam said:

DougSeal said:

Our own Meek was really rather garrulous....and yet flounced off with nothing.
  • Options

"German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said Monday that the right for individual EU member states to veto decisions must be scrapped, saying that the 27-member bloc cannot be hamstrung by single hold-outs"

The answer to every EU problem, more EU.....
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Lib Dems going hard on anti-development to try and win Chesham & Amersham by-elex. Quote just out: "Tory plans will allow developers to tarmac over greenbelt sites across the Chilterns without local people having any say, risking irreversible damage to the local environment."

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1401871936767021064?s=20
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kamski said:

Fishing said:

Monkeys said:

Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

"All individuals are subject to error and seduction, but not the people, which possesses to an eminent degree of consciousness of its own good and the measure of its independence. Because of that its judgement is pure, its will is strong, and none can corrupt or even threaten it."
    I never paid much attention to Chavez or rated him. But that is very clever and seductive, ironically disproving its own assertion.
  • Options

What he really means is it must be restricted to Germany and maybe, if they behave, France.....
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

That was changed back in mid-May, I thought?
    Exactly – vacillation – the government has delayed its decision, which is my point.
  • Options

isam said:

DougSeal said:

I presume he is still blastering away on twitter....
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It will be an absolute disaster for the industry – and for thousands of brides nationwide, many of whom are now on their third postponement. My friend has no interest in football, as is asking why Euro 2021 can have 22,500 fans at Wembley, but she cannot have 80 guests at her wedding.
    I sympathise: I have a close relative in a similar position.
    I am slightly taken with your description of “thousands of brides” though: do the grooms not get a postponement as well? What about the weddings which don’t involve a bride?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Inside vs. outside?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

isam said:

DougSeal said:

Meeks was a great poster, and header writer, and is sorely missed. (A bit crazy over Brexit, I agree, but hey.)
  • Options
    PM wades in now...

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has backed comments made by the Culture Secretary that the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) went "over the top" in suspending bowler Ollie Robinson for historical racist and sexist tweets.

Although it isn't really, it his spokesperson.
  • Options

Lib Dems going hard on anti-development to try and win Chesham & Amersham by-elex. Quote just out: "Tory plans will allow developers to tarmac over greenbelt sites across the Chilterns without local people having any say, risking irreversible damage to the local environment."

LibDems are the home of Nimbyism.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    TimT said:

kamski said:

Fishing said:

Monkeys said:

Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

I never paid much attention to Chavez or rated him. But that is very clever and seductive, ironically disproving its own assertion.
    I’d assumed it would turn out to be from the Little Red Book, or even Mien Kampf...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I sympathise: I have a close relative in a similar position.
    I am slightly taken with your description of “thousands of brides” though: do the grooms not get a postponement as well? What about the weddings which don’t involve a bride?
    Thousands of brides, grooms, best men, maids of honour, bridesmaids, pageboys, mothers-of-the-bride, fathers-of-the-bride, groomsmen and ushers.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Inside vs. outside?
    22,500 vs 80.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

LibDems are the home of Nimbyism.
    And against 5G masts.....

(yes I know that issue in Bath was blown out of all proportion, although their local MP isn't a good representative for the Lib Dems).
This discussion has been closed.