Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

England’s R rate getting above one casts a shadow over positive holiday news from Spain and France –

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,415
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Hey, great, at last!

Revered scientific journal The Lancet has created a ‘task force’ to investigate the origins of the coronavirus that caused a global pandemic. Finally we will get the truth. Lab leak, bioweapon, angry bat at a stall?

The Lancet is on the case, with a massive new "task force"

And who have they appointed as the head of this brilliant, incisive, utterly neutral "task force"?

Peter Daszak, who funded the gain of function viral research at Wuhan, and who lied about his links to it in his letter to, er, the Lancet, and who has been lying ever since.

I kid you not. Do they not do self awareness at THE LANCET?

https://covid19commission.org/origins-of-the-pandemic

This is like President Nixon, about six months into the worst of Watergate, appointing Sitting President of the USA, President Nixon, to finally listen to the White House tapes.

Well we all trust the editor of the Lancet don't we....
    It's now way beyond the editor of the Lancet being a lying creep (which he is), it's the mixture of effrontery and desperation in this appointment.

1. The scientific "establishment" thinks it can get away with appointing one of the "guilty" men at the very heart of this cover up - to investigate the bloody cover up - they think we are complacent idiots,

2. But this also shows blind panic. They are so worried about any truth coming out, they make mad moves likes this, to skew an investigation from the off

I conclude from this that it came from the lab, and they know it. Seriously. Why else would you behave like this?
    Why would the Lancet or the scientific establishment want to cover up a lab leak? Politicians might, if some deal depended on normal relations, or the military establishment if it sponsored biological weapons research, or the Chinese government, but what have the test tube rattlers got to gain or lose either way?

We know, and everyone is agreed, that the virus infected humans as a result of dodgy Chinese practices. What we do not know is precisely what dodgy practice, but we know it was in China.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

As far as I can ascertain, positive tests have increased fairly sharply in the past month but hospitalisations are flat or even falling. Presumably we are surge testing in hotspots? Any other explanation?

Hospital admissions have risen slightly from their lowest point, but within that there is a continuing decline among older age groups (as more are double-vaccinated) and an increase among younger age groups (who haven't been fully vaccinated yet).

The numbers in hospital UK-wide look like they might manage to nose above 1,000 again relatively soon.

You can imagine a scenario where, if we were to stop vaccinating, a rapid increase in cases among those who are still waiting for their first dose, and those waiting for a second dose (particularly where it is a second AZ dose), would show a large increase in hospitalizations. So that would be in ~30-50 year olds.

But we are continuing to vaccinate, so the space in which the virus has to operate is continually shrinking, but there is still likely to be another modest wavelet of hospitalisations and deaths. Given that this is directly attributable to Johnson's failure to introduce travel restrictions on India in a timely manner, because of his obsession with a post-Brexit trade deal, I think the resultant deaths we are likely to see are some of the most tragic and inexcusable of the whole pandemic. Particularly as those that are among the young would have been prevented by vaccination had we slowed down the arrival of the Indian/Delta variant by a month or so.

But there's no scope for the health system to be overwhelmed, and politically the blame can be pinned on anti-vaxxers, so Johnson walks away scot-free once again.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Weirdly, Norway is one of the main importers of English wine.

Isn't that all the Skandis, except one. I see to recall 3 from 4.
    I guess thinking about it, it makes sense?

Gravity theory suggests our nearest neighbours should be the major importers, but France et al are obviously not going to be importing English wine.
    I'm surprised that the domestic wine market doesn't absorb the entirety of English wine production. I'm amazed that we export any at all.
    I’m surprised how little there is available in the high street. English Wine really is pretty good.
    See above. I suspect price/quality ratio is the issue which in turn is a factor of still low volumes.
    But still, for most other product categories you will have food plastered with the union flag. I'd have thought that a degree of patriotic purchasing, plus the novelty value, would create a fair amount of demand for locally-produced wines. Even Lidl, for example, are pretty good at stocking local ranges of beers, so you often have quite different beers stocked in different Lidls around the country.
    You’d be surprised how many smart rich Brits are unaware that England now makes superb sparkling wine

I took a good bottle of Nyetimber to a Highgate barbecue recently where everyone was drinking pol roger at least, and they tutted at my choice of wine and then they drank it and said ‘ok, it’s better than the pol roger. Much better’
    Quite spenny Nyetimber.
    It is. A bottle of the classic cuvee rose is ~£40. About the same as Pol Roger. But it’s better than the French plonk likesay, so VALUE
    It's very nice for sure but doesn't beat a bottle of Bolly.
    Actually, I think the very best English sparkling wine is better than anything choosing less than about £200 that's French or American.

I'm not such a fan of the still wine, which is a bit overpriced but I have no doubt it will continue to improve.
    There's always been folk with more money than sense.

A decent pint of IPA is far better value and taste. Why copy the French when what we do with barley and hops is world class?
    The point of talking about what expensive wine you've been drinking is not to reveal your taste but to boast about how much surplus money you have (or pretend to have).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

Front pages report 40-50s are going to get their 2nd jabs bumped up to 8 weeks gap, as they did with the 50+.

Been like that for a while in all reality. I changed my second jab appointment a while back and was able to advance it by three weeks.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021

Front pages report 40-50s are going to get their 2nd jabs bumped up to 8 weeks gap, as they did with the 50+.

Been like that for a while in all reality. I changed my second jab appointment a while back and was able to advance it by three weeks.
    I think they mean the powers that be will be proactively trying to move everybody forward.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Gravity theory suggests our nearest neighbours should be the major importers, but France et al are obviously not going to be importing English wine.
    I'm surprised that the domestic wine market doesn't absorb the entirety of English wine production. I'm amazed that we export any at all.
    I’m surprised how little there is available in the high street. English Wine really is pretty good.
    See above. I suspect price/quality ratio is the issue which in turn is a factor of still low volumes.
    But still, for most other product categories you will have food plastered with the union flag. I'd have thought that a degree of patriotic purchasing, plus the novelty value, would create a fair amount of demand for locally-produced wines. Even Lidl, for example, are pretty good at stocking local ranges of beers, so you often have quite different beers stocked in different Lidls around the country.
    You’d be surprised how many smart rich Brits are unaware that England now makes superb sparkling wine

I took a good bottle of Nyetimber to a Highgate barbecue recently where everyone was drinking pol roger at least, and they tutted at my choice of wine and then they drank it and said ‘ok, it’s better than the pol roger. Much better’
    Quite spenny Nyetimber.
    It is. A bottle of the classic cuvee rose is ~£40. About the same as Pol Roger. But it’s better than the French plonk likesay, so VALUE
    Actually, I think the very best English sparkling wine is better than anything choosing less than about £200 that's French or American.

I'm not such a fan of the still wine, which is a bit overpriced but I have no doubt it will continue to improve.

A decent pint of IPA is far better value and taste. Why copy the French when what we do with barley and hops is world class?
    The point of talking about what expensive wine you've been drinking is not to reveal your taste but to boast about how much surplus money you have (or pretend to have).
    Really? Lots of people of fairly modest means are passionate about wine, and invest in it. You might not be interested but that shouldn’t lead you to sneer at those who are.
  • Options

That's already the reality.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hey, great, at last!

Revered scientific journal The Lancet has created a ‘task force’ to investigate the origins of the coronavirus that caused a global pandemic. Finally we will get the truth. Lab leak, bioweapon, angry bat at a stall?

And who have they appointed as the head of this brilliant, incisive, utterly neutral "task force"?

Peter Daszak, who funded the gain of function viral research at Wuhan, and who lied about his links to it in his letter to, er, the Lancet, and who has been lying ever since.

This is like President Nixon, about six months into the worst of Watergate, appointing Sitting President of the USA, President Nixon, to finally listen to the White House tapes.

It's now way beyond the editor of the Lancet being a lying creep (which he is), it's the mixture of effrontery and desperation in this appointment.

1. The scientific "establishment" thinks it can get away with appointing one of the "guilty" men at the very heart of this cover up - to investigate the bloody cover up - they think we are complacent idiots,

2. But this also shows blind panic. They are so worried about any truth coming out, they make mad moves likes this, to skew an investigation from the off

I conclude from this that it came from the lab, and they know it. Seriously. Why else would you behave like this?
    Why would the Lancet or the scientific establishment want to cover up a lab leak? Politicians might, if some deal depended on normal relations, or the military establishment if it sponsored biological weapons research, or the Chinese government, but what have the test tube rattlers got to gain or lose either way?

We know, and everyone is agreed, that the virus infected humans as a result of dodgy Chinese practices. What we do not know is precisely what dodgy practice, but we know it was in China.
    To be fair, I might have drunk too much Nyetimber - I thought the Lancet had just set up this commission, it actually kicked off last year, but it is still outrageous they appointed Daszak

To answer your question

1. All of virology, maybe all of science, is desperate for the virus to be linked to zoonosis, not the lab, because a link to the lab would close down thousands of projects, it would upend many careers, it would destroy faith in science

2. Specifically, the editor of the Lancet, Horton, has close links to China and is obviously conflicted,. with a history of dodginess (MMR)

3. Daszak is even worse. He personally funded the gain-of-function research in Wuhan. If it is proved that his engineered virus killed millions he would surely go to jail, for a long long time. And yet it was him that secretly organised the letter to the Lancet (them again) suppressing the lab leak theory, it was him that WHO appointed to lead the "investigation" of Covid origins in Wuhan, it was him that the Lancet appointed to lead THER inquiry into Covid origins. Surprise surprise they all decided it came from the market, not the fucking lab, where it came from

4. Fauci in America is almost as fucked, He directed funds to Daszak, he quietly revived the hated gain of function research. He dismissed the lab leak theory even as he was getting emails from scientists saying the virus might easily have escaped from the lab and was very possibly ENGINEERED

A rum do
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Quite spenny Nyetimber.

That would be Variant Delta PA, now.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

As far as I can ascertain, positive tests have increased fairly sharply in the past month but hospitalisations are flat or even falling. Presumably we are surge testing in hotspots? Any other explanation?

Surge testing is finished and double vaccinated people are avoiding LFTs like the plague.
    So why the disparity? Just a function of vaccines rendering a higher proportion of cases benign?
    Yeah basically. There's loads of evidence coming out that even the admissions that are happening are much less severe.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Social distancing for the rest of the year? I struggle to see what might emerge that would justify that, given vaccinatons and the booster shots. This isn't The Naked Sun, keeping people physically distant was an emergency measure that cannot be borne forever.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Social distancing for the rest of the year? I struggle to see what might emerge that would justify that, given vaccinatons and the booster shots. This isn't The Naked Sun, keeping people physically distant was an emergency measure that cannot be borne forever.

To be fair, this is Wales. Have you seen Welsh people? Who wouldn't want to keep a good 2 metres away for as long as possible?

I imagine even the Welsh are quietly pleased
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684

Even though the AZ jab works best after 12 weeks?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Especially given the low, low, low levels of covid in much of the country.
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Quite spenny Nyetimber.

Really? Lots of people of fairly modest means are passionate about wine, and invest in it. You might not be interested but that shouldn’t lead you to sneer at those who are.
    There certainly are such people.

But I've also know others who are always boasting about the expensive wine they drink but who cannot tell the difference between merlot and shiraz.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Surge testing is finished and double vaccinated people are avoiding LFTs like the plague.
    So why the disparity? Just a function of vaccines rendering a higher proportion of cases benign?
    Yeah basically. There's loads of evidence coming out that even the admissions that are happening are much less severe.
    There are only about seven days worth of covid patients in hospital, suggesting that those admitted are being released very quickly.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1400897686694473730?s=21

NASA administrator confirms he has been directly briefed on UAP by the Navy pilots in question and appears to publicly rule out optical effects as an explanation. Confirms he has instructed NASA scientists to investigate independently of the Pentagon.

Shit starting to get real now.

But Robert S and Peter T told us it was "sensor failure", every two minutes for six centuries. I'm confused
    I can hear the scraping of the shifting goalposts on these boards. “Scientists aren’t taking it seriously”. Oh yes they are.
    I don't think there is any doubt these objects are real nor that they have some pretty exceptional performance capabilities.

Its just a question of whose they are
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

NASA administrator confirms he has been directly briefed on UAP by the Navy pilots in question and appears to publicly rule out optical effects as an explanation. Confirms he has instructed NASA scientists to investigate independently of the Pentagon.

But Robert S and Peter T told us it was "sensor failure", every two minutes for six centuries. I'm confused
    Yes because the US would be really keen to boast about how their sensors might have issues.

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There are only about seven days worth of covid patients in hospital, suggesting that those admitted are being released very quickly.
    Are they publishing icu numbers?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hey, great, at last!

To be fair, I might have drunk too much Nyetimber - I thought the Lancet had just set up this commission, it actually kicked off last year, but it is still outrageous they appointed Daszak

To answer your question

1. All of virology, maybe all of science, is desperate for the virus to be linked to zoonosis, not the lab, because a link to the lab would close down thousands of projects, it would upend many careers, it would destroy faith in science

2. Specifically, the editor of the Lancet, Horton, has close links to China and is obviously conflicted,. with a history of dodginess (MMR)

3. Daszak is even worse. He personally funded the gain-of-function research in Wuhan. If it is proved that his engineered virus killed millions he would surely go to jail, for a long long time. And yet it was him that secretly organised the letter to the Lancet (them again) suppressing the lab leak theory, it was him that WHO appointed to lead the "investigation" of Covid origins in Wuhan, it was him that the Lancet appointed to lead THER inquiry into Covid origins. Surprise surprise they all decided it came from the market, not the fucking lab, where it came from

4. Fauci in America is almost as fucked, He directed funds to Daszak, he quietly revived the hated gain of function research. He dismissed the lab leak theory even as he was getting emails from scientists saying the virus might easily have escaped from the lab and was very possibly ENGINEERED

A rum do
    Fauci is likely more fucked.

He's in a country which has millions of people with much to angry about.

And they have guns.
  • Options
    Floater said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

I can hear the scraping of the shifting goalposts on these boards. “Scientists aren’t taking it seriously”. Oh yes they are.
    I don't think there is any doubt these objects are real nor that they have some pretty exceptional performance capabilities.

You say that but in fact most of the debunking is on the basis that the objects are not real. Because once you get over the hurdle that they are real, you quickly run out of plausible explanations for the performance, without invoking either “exotic origin” designers or a grand high conspiracy of a golden pinky ring club in America, to hide revelatory technology from everyone (including the arms of government) for decades.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Egan Bernal: Giro d'Italia winner tests positive for Covid-19 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/57364184

So let me get this right...he was going to travel unvaccinated to a country with a rampant increase in covid to celebrate a race win....when your livelihood is based on peak physical performance and Tour De France to come...these people are insane.

Although chances of death are basically zero, there are plenty of elite athletes that have got covid and complained its taken them many many months to be able to get back towards their required performance levels.
  • Options
    Floater said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Yes We are now almost beyond the debunking stage, this is surely real. 99%

However, we are then left with some pretty incredible hypotheses. Did China really develop aircraft that can fly at 15,000 mph, in secret, two decades ago? How? Why haven't they used them openly? China is a rising, boastful, insecure country - if they had incredible tech that totally outclassed America, I am sure they would flaunt it. Like they flaunt everything else, to show that the Chinese system is "better". They couldn't help themselves. And they would use it to frighten everyone into submission. And they would have taken Taiwan immediately

Yet, total silence.

So, then, Russia. Really? In 2000 Russia was exporting oil, turnips, and vodka. Not extreme performance aircraft that can move seamlessly, without friction, between sea and space, and drop from 80,000 feet to sea level, in under a second

That leaves..... er..... ah.....

Bewildering

• Options
    It's not looking good for the 21st June date. I'd probably still go ahead with it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

8 weeks my arse.

I get mine on Monday. After 11 weeks, as originally booked. No message from Bozo inviting me to bring it forward. And no way I was going to cancel my booking in order to see if there were earlier slots on the off chance.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Floater said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

You say that but in fact most of the debunking is on the basis that the objects are not real. Because once you get over the hurdle that they are real, you quickly run out of plausible explanations for the performance, without invoking either “exotic origin” designers or a grand high conspiracy of a golden pinky ring club in America, to hide revelatory technology from everyone (including the arms of government) for decades.
    One thing that always did intrigue me was after the Obama - Trump handover meeting, Trump said they talked about “our high flying assets”. I always thought that an odd thing to say. At the time the most important things were the Syrian War and NK Korean nuclear testing so perhaps it was spy plane chat in that context. But still an odd phrase even for a fucking massive weirdo like Trump.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Yes because the US would be really keen to boast about how their sensors might have issues.

Jesus. Use your very capable brain. It is quite confounding how you don't get this

Which is more embarrassing for America, the Navy quietly realising it has a problem with its sensors - and fixing them - or the Pentagon sending an official report to Congress, with front page headlines in the New York Times, and reports all over CNN, Fox, NBC, etc, saying they do not have command of American air-space because they are being totally outclassed by non-American air technology?

Yet they went for the second route.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Just seen these:

"Westminster voting intention:

CON: 46% (+3)
    LAB: 30% (+1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDEM: 6% (-2)
    REFUK: 2% (-1)

via
    @YouGov
    , 02 - 03 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 28 May"

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1400751176136728579

"NEW – Westminster Voting Intention:

CON 41% (-2)
    LAB 33% (-)
    LD 9% (-1)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    OTH 6% (+1)

1,533 respondents, 1-2 June '21. Changes w/ 27-28 May '21."

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1400781950093344769

Well the Cummings revelations were, indeed, as most of us on here said they would be, damp squibs politically, no matter how entertaining to watch.

It was like he fired a peashooter against HMS Queen Elizabeth. From 30 feet away.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Just seen these:

via
    @YouGov
    , 02 - 03 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 28 May"

CON 41% (-2)
    LAB 33% (-)
    LD 9% (-1)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    OTH 6% (+1)

Well the Cummings revelations were, indeed, as most of us on here said they would be, damp squibs politically, no matter how entertaining to watch.

It was like he fired a peashooter against HMS Queen Elizabeth.
    Get it in the right spot and that might actually work.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hey, great, at last!

To answer your question

A rum do
    Fauci is likely more fucked.

He's in a country which has millions of people with much to angry about.

And they have guns.
    Yes, this could be absolutely massive, and hellish, in America.

If it is proven that it is lab leak - or rather it goes beyond reasonable doubt - then I can see the Trumpite Republicans resurging, and the wet marketeering Democrats in headlong retreat. Because they DID cover it up, from Fauci's emails to Facebook's censorship.

I've just discovered who Facebook appointed as one of their factcheckers for the Covid origins story.

Have a guess.

Peter Daszak

No joke. He's like a kind of superman of cover-ups, omnipresent, a minor Indian deity with many forms

• Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

To be fair, this is Wales. Have you seen Welsh people?
    There have been times when it was unavoidable.

Turn's out they're alright folks, who knew?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hey, great, at last!

To answer your question

A rum do
    Why would a lab leak in authoritarian China have an impact on scientific research in western democracies? I don't get that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Just seen these:

via
    @YouGov
    , 02 - 03 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 28 May"

CON 41% (-2)
    LAB 33% (-)
    LD 9% (-1)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    OTH 6% (+1)

It was like he fired a peashooter against HMS Queen Elizabeth.
    Get it in the right spot and that might actually work.
    Are you sure you're not mixing the Queen Elizabeth up with the Death Star?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hey, great, at last!

To answer your question

A rum do
    Why would a lab leak in China have an impact on scientific research in western democracies? I don't get that.
    If it is proved that the evil lights of perverted science killed ten million people, ruined economies, destroyed trade, and kept entire nations in jail for years, you don't think this might have a slightly negative effect on our perceptions of science?!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited June 2021
    These super fast drones, have we ruled out the British?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Please let this happen. It brings out my inner socialist. Tax these bastards

"#G7 nations close to #historic deal to #tax #techgiants in plan that would 'change the world', says German finance minister - Sky News"

https://twitter.com/5555501z/status/1400900529610444800?s=20

The only country holding out is Ireland. Fuck Ireland. They have been a parasite for decades
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2h
    TELEGRAPH: Second jabs sped up in effort to lift restrictions #TomorrowsPapersToday

Sub editing wise that must be one of the worst front pages of all time.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Just seen these:

via
    @YouGov
    , 02 - 03 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 28 May"

CON 41% (-2)
    LAB 33% (-)
    LD 9% (-1)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    OTH 6% (+1)

It was like he fired a peashooter against HMS Queen Elizabeth. From 30 feet away.
    Cummings has the same problem as Salmond - the public don't like either of them.

Look at Spitting Image. Boris was a buffoon, Hancock a manchild, Rishi vain. Cummings was an alien
  • Options
    Leon said:

"#G7 nations close to #historic deal to #tax #techgiants in plan that would 'change the world', says German finance minister - Sky News"

The only country holding out is Ireland. Fuck Ireland. They have been a parasite for decades

Rishi has played a tough game on digital taxation and I think he's won. The talk today was the Biden caved on taxation based on location of where the revenue is booked rather the HQ domicile or where profits are transferred.

It's going to be a huge, huge change for the likes of Apple and Google who will no longer be able to escape taxes in Europe by transferring them to Ireland. They will pay a minimum rate of 15% on their UK profits to the UK government using a formula applied to their revenue.

Ireland is completely and utterly fucked. Their USP has been taken away from them by Biden and Rishi. Other tax havens for personal wealth won't really see much change but Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands (to a lesser degree) will all have to find a new way of existing this decade.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jonathan said:

These super fast drones, have we ruled out the British?

LOL - I think we can do that :smiley:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Rishi has played a tough game on digital taxation and I think he's won. The talk today was the Biden caved on taxation based on location of where the revenue is booked rather the HQ domicile or where profits are transferred.

It's going to be a huge, huge change for the likes of Apple and Google who will no longer be able to escape taxes in Europe by transferring them to Ireland. They will pay a minimum rate of 15% on their UK profits to the UK government using a formula applied to their revenue.

Ireland is completely and utterly fucked. Their USP has been taken away from them by Biden and Rishi. Other tax havens for personal wealth won't really see much change but Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands (to a lesser degree) will all have to find a new way of existing this decade.
    I shall take out my pico-violin to play a nano-sonata for Ireland.

lol
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

lol
    There's definitely some irony in self confessed Irishman Biden basically fucking over his motherland. After all of Ireland's holier than thou bullshit over the border this will be quite an entertaining few years watching from a country that doesn't exist as a parasitical entity leeching from the economies around it. Luxembourg still has finance. Ireland has nothing, I don't even think they have potatoes these days.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

lol
    There's definitely some irony in self confessed Irishman Biden basically fucking over his motherland. After all of Ireland's holier than thou bullshit over the border this will be quite an entertaining few years watching from a country that doesn't exist as a parasitical entity leeching from the economies around it. Luxembourg still has finance. Ireland has nothing, I don't even think they have potatoes these days.
    I like Ireland, especially the poetic West Coast, I like the Irish people - they are brilliant fun, in general - I have many Irish friends

But their constant angry Brit-bashing throughout Brexit has worn me down, it's like we should not have been *allowed* to do it - to do what they did so famously, strike out for independence (however awkward and difficult).

So. Fuck em. And their parasitic tax policies were outrageous.

A bit of sober reality will do them good, and we can all be friends again

And on that ecumenical note, goodnight PB
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    29 positive tests in Premiership RU today. This thing really is spreading amongst the young and healthy.
    We really have dodged a bomb with the Vaccines.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Good news. It's about time these tech companies paid more tax.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Just seen these:

via
    @YouGov
    , 02 - 03 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 28 May"

CON 41% (-2)
    LAB 33% (-)
    LD 9% (-1)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    OTH 6% (+1)

Cummings has the same problem as Salmond - the public don't like either of them.

Look at Spitting Image. Boris was a buffoon, Hancock a manchild, Rishi vain. Cummings was an alien
    That, and people had guessed and forgiven most of it already.

In fairness to Cummings, he did more to hold the government to account in one afternoon than the Opposition parties have in the last year.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Just seen these:

via
    @YouGov
    , 02 - 03 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 28 May"

CON 41% (-2)
    LAB 33% (-)
    LD 9% (-1)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    OTH 6% (+1)

And none of it was funny...

I would be surprised if the Spitting Image reboot survives very long.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Crickey that will be a huge change...but I predict Labour / Guardian will be on saying isn't enough....still letting their mates in business get away with it.

Obviously the proof of the pudding is in the eating how watertight it is and how good the lawyers are for the big tech companies to find a new wheeze.
  • Options
    This thread has been shut down like the global big tech tax loopholes...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Just seen these:

via
    @YouGov
    , 02 - 03 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 28 May"

CON 41% (-2)
    LAB 33% (-)
    LD 9% (-1)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    OTH 6% (+1)

And none of it was funny...

I would be surprised if the Spitting Image reboot survives very long.
    Tbf. Not much of the original was either. A few classic sketches. And the grotesquery.
    Politicians shown in a new and striking way.
    But funny? A chuckle or two per episode. And a couple of belly laughs each series.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

It’s hard to know what’s going on, given the media focus on variants and prolonged doom. Yet as far as I can work out hospitalisations are flat in the face of sharply rising positive tests, which presumably is very good news? The goal was always to render cases benign, was it not?
    Tricky for government though? Trend in infections going up, hospitalisations flat, does it mean remains flat thanks to vaccination or just taking time to hit the 2k+? Tricky because having declared freedom, difficult to then undeclare freedom?
This discussion has been closed.