Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Choosing Jo Cox’s sister might just be enough to save Labour’s bacon in Batley and Spen – politicalb

Comments

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    Leon said:

Truly fascinating ONS analysis of "deprivation" street by street in England

https://twitter.com/bothness/status/1396746574638862337?s=20

1/ Today we (
    @ONS
    ) released the second of two #scrollytelling #dataviz pieces in a series on economic inequality. This second article explores income disparities in #England at a neighbourhood level https://ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc1371/

Excellent....

Except that, when it comes to my corner of Camden it is total bollocks. Here, a 2 bed flat costs £800,000, and a house £1.5m or so. Most of the houses are now privately owned, there are still some council flats, in the period houses, but not many. A couple of new blocks have replaced old garages etc, all are pricey, and private

There are some rentals, but they are expensive and get wealthy students and young City workers in the main

And this tiny corner is labelled as "quite deprived"?!

Perhaps this is a unique anomaly - but if it is true for the rest of the map then I really hope the government is not relying on this data. Bizarre

Merseyside only has two councils in the top 5. Knowsley (Number 1) and Liverpool (Number 4) in the country. So I know that's bollocks because we usually take five out of five.......
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,454

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Apparently most of the properties in Bishop's Avenue aren't actually inhabited and some of them aren't in a particularly good state, They're just used as property investments. This article is from 2014 but I doubt much has changed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/31/inside-london-billionaires-row-derelict-mansions-hampstead

Bishop's Avenue is surreal. It has the worst pot-holes in the world because of all the underground development causing subsidence (ten storey down swimming pools etc). Yes, lots of houses are left to rot by arrested sheikhs and oligarchs. The architecture gets crazier every year. There has been lots of new building in the last two or three years, despite Brexit/Covid - I guess big houses with big gardens are still or more popular?

I wouldn't really like to live there. You can't walk anywhere

Avenue Road has some similarities (a few properties are just as vulgar) but it is much much nicer. You can walk to Regents Park/Primrose Hill in 5 minutes, you can walk to Lords, shops, restaurants, you are just a few minutes from Marylebone High Street and central London.

All the opulent houses are very much occupied year-round, quite a few are ambassadorial I believe (you see armed guards). A big house there would be a grand place to live. Almost perfect, if you want a big house in central London. Hence the prices
    There's definitely council flats in some of the nearby streets though.

A big block of them on Queens Terrace for example and looks like others along Wellington Road and Woronzow Road.
    There's a big council estate off Townshend Road.

As is often the case in central London the grand houses are on the main roads and the council estates are hidden away.
    4 bed terraced house for sale
    Townshend Road, St John's Wood, London NW8

£3,150,000

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/58161510/?featured=1&utm_content=featured_listing

Or maybe you mean the actual council flats nearby, in which case:

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbsjrssts200082

"A one bedroom apartment set on the first floor of a purpose built block."

Price?

£475,000

For a one bed flat

You don't know what you are talking about, in this case, sorry
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,894
    edited May 2021
    "They’ll kill me, terrified Roman Protasevich told Ryanair flight crew" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theyll-kill-me-terrified-roman-protasevich-told-ryanair-flight-crew-rb0mxg3vm

This is real news, unlike the Prince Harry / Martin Bashir / Meghan Markle stuff that we keep having to listen to.
  • Options
    xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz Posts: 37
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Apparently most of the properties in Bishop's Avenue aren't actually inhabited and some of them aren't in a particularly good state, They're just used as property investments. This article is from 2014 but I doubt much has changed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/31/inside-london-billionaires-row-derelict-mansions-hampstead

Bishop's Avenue is surreal. It has the worst pot-holes in the world because of all the underground development causing subsidence (ten storey down swimming pools etc). Yes, lots of houses are left to rot by arrested sheikhs and oligarchs. The architecture gets crazier every year. There has been lots of new building in the last two or three years, despite Brexit/Covid - I guess big houses with big gardens are still or more popular?

Avenue Road has some similarities (a few properties are just as vulgar) but it is much much nicer. You can walk to Regents Park/Primrose Hill in 5 minutes, you can walk to Lords, shops, restaurants, you are just a few minutes from Marylebone High Street and central London.

All the opulent houses are very much occupied year-round, quite a few are ambassadorial I believe (you see armed guards). A big house there would be a grand place to live. Almost perfect, if you want a big house in central London. Hence the prices

A big block of them on Queens Terrace for example and looks like others along Wellington Road and Woronzow Road.
    Trust me, I know this area really well. Used to live very nearby, now live about 15 minutes walk away

I have a few regular urban walks that I do of an evening, when I don't go down the gym. One takes me around this part of St John's Wood, partly because it is so pleasant, affluent and leafy (and right by Primrose Hill)

If the ONS thinks this is "deprived" then fuck knows what the RICH places look like. They must be carved from crystal

And with that happy dream, goodnight PB
    There are large social housing blocks between Avenue Road and St Johns Wood. They are in pretty good condition. Predominantly white working class. It is where John Cleese's ex american wife lived before she married him. The papers said she lived in social housing but it was in St Johns Wood!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Leon said:

1/ Today we (
    @ONS
    ) released the second of two #scrollytelling #dataviz pieces in a series on economic inequality. This second article explores income disparities in #England at a neighbourhood level https://ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc1371/

Excellent....

Except that, when it comes to my corner of Camden it is total bollocks. Here, a 2 bed flat costs £800,000, and a house £1.5m or so. Most of the houses are now privately owned, there are still some council flats, in the period houses, but not many. A couple of new blocks have replaced old garages etc, all are pricey, and private

There are some rentals, but they are expensive and get wealthy students and young City workers in the main

Perhaps this is a unique anomaly - but if it is true for the rest of the map then I really hope the government is not relying on this data. Bizarre

Merseyside only has two councils in the top 5. Knowsley (Number 1) and Liverpool (Number 4) in the country. So I know that's bollocks because we usually take five out of five.......
    If Birkenhead were a Council by itself it would probably get the number one spot, but its in the Wirral which has West Kirby, Heswall, Bromborough and Bebington etc offsetting it.

The map of the Wirral is quite interesting. Deepest darkest red for the entirety of Birkenhead, with red too for most of Wallasey etc, but then deep blue for the west of the Wirral.
  • Options
    Leon said:

1/ Today we (
    @ONS

Excellent....

I walked round those streets a few days ago on my way from Regent's Park to Camden Town tube station and the idea it's deprived is ridiculous.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Trust me, I know this area really well. Used to live very nearby, now live about 15 minutes walk away

I have a few regular urban walks that I do of an evening, when I don't go down the gym. One takes me around this part of St John's Wood, partly because it is so pleasant, affluent and leafy (and right by Primrose Hill)

If the ONS thinks this is "deprived" then fuck knows what the RICH places look like. They must be carved from crystal

Try walking around the Townshend estate next time.

Six big blocks of seven story council flats.

Count them up and then count up the posh houses.

Its a matter of averages.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,454
    xyzxyzxyz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

There are large social housing blocks between Avenue Road and St Johns Wood. They are in pretty good condition. Predominantly white working class. It is where John Cleese's ex american wife lived before she married him. The papers said she lived in social housing but it was in St Johns Wood!
    Most of them have surely gone private through right-to-buy: everyone withy a brain, in London, did that when Thatcher brought it in

You can certainly find plenty for sale "ex local authority, two bed flat, £600,000 etc" - probably the cheapest housing in that part of St John's Wood but still extremely expensive by UK-wide standards

The idea this corner of London is "deprived" is BONKERS

OK that really is it. Nightynight
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

There's a big council estate off Townshend Road.

As is often the case in central London the grand houses are on the main roads and the council estates are hidden away.
    4 bed terraced house for sale
    Townshend Road, St John's Wood, London NW8

£3,150,000

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/58161510/?featured=1&utm_content=featured_listing

Or maybe you mean the actual council flats nearby, in which case:

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbsjrssts200082

"A one bedroom apartment set on the first floor of a purpose built block."

Price?

£475,000

For a one bed flat

You don't know what you are talking about, in this case, sorry
    I know enough to discover that there was a large council estate along with the posh houses.

Quoting house prices makes little difference - everywhere in central London is ultra expensive but it doesn't stop parts of it from being a shithole.

Is it that upsetting that the ONS have marked part of St John's Wood as 40-50% of the income scale ?
  • Options
    xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz Posts: 37
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

xyzxyzxyz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Most of them have surely gone private through right-to-buy: everyone withy a brain, in London, did that when Thatcher brought it in

You can certainly find plenty for sale "ex local authority, two bed flat, £600,000 etc" - probably the cheapest housing in that part of St John's Wood but still extremely expensive by UK-wide standards

The idea this corner of London is "deprived" is BONKERS

OK that really is it. Nightynight
    The largest estate between avenue road and St Johns wood High Street still has signs up saying it is run by westminter city council.

The picture of the house on avenue road you posted is at the swiss cottage end. The plot was bought for £14m and the completed house was for sale for £75m. I doubt the house cost more than £5m to build by the greek property developer. Not sure if it has sold.

Before the 2008/2009 recession Avenue Road was very run down and you could buy a house for £3m now they are ten times that. A lot of money came out of banks and into real assets.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    "EU agrees sanctions on Belarus for forcing down flight" (£)

https://www.ft.com/content/147532bc-8f98-406c-807b-748520be6633

(can be read via google search)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687
    edited May 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Apparently many of the properties in Bishop's Avenue aren't actually inhabited and some of them aren't in a particularly good state, They're just used as property investments. This article is from 2014 but I doubt much has changed.

Don't we have squatters any more ?
    The vid I posted seems to indicate the Saudis invest in security to keep squatters and so forth out whilst not giving a shit about any sort of maintenance let alone living in the houses.
    Around 1989 Saudis bought about 10 for various by-blows and princelings. They would probably be some of the more decrepit ones at the time those articles were written.

Up for sale 2013:
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/for-sale-10-properties-on-billionaires-row-after-saudi-royals-quit-8903981.html
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    On the deprivation map.

In my area it very accurately identifies areas of housing built at different times at estate level down almost to the half decade or decade back to the 1930s and partially back to 1900 or before, and by original tenure (Council Estates). Not sure sure that it reflects eg Council House sales, or current income/resources.

This is a stable area, and quite a lot of people stay in their 1st houses, so it could be a covariable for generational wealth to a degree.

I think the London thing is significantly just the London housing system being badly mixed up.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

I've just received these recent pictures of the appalling squalor in Avenue Road, St John's Wood, London NW8.

It beggars belief, quite frankly, that in an advanced, wealthy country like the UK, let alone a world city like London, we tolerate this kind of deprivation. If we don't act soon, cholera and famine will stalk these sad, haunted, forgotten corners

You know Avenue Road is horrible, right? Walk along it most mornings - heavy traffic and zero sense of community. I’d hate to live there
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Flights by British Airways, Air France, and KLM that have previously operated through Belarus now going around.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1396942346906972166?s=21
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Charles said:

Leon said:

I've just received these recent pictures of the appalling squalor in Avenue Road, St John's Wood, London NW8.

It beggars belief, quite frankly, that in an advanced, wealthy country like the UK, let alone a world city like London, we tolerate this kind of deprivation. If we don't act soon, cholera and famine will stalk these sad, haunted, forgotten corners

You know Avenue Road is horrible, right? Walk along it most mornings - heavy traffic and zero sense of community. I’d hate to live there
    REVELATION:

I was born in Avenue Road.
  • Options
    On topic.

People go into politics for all kinds of reasons.

Those saying it is a desperate measure for Lab to choose someone involved in politics whose family member was killed by politics are scum.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

On Topic

Labour Party Rule must have been a Member for 12 Consecutive months prior to being a Candidate

Labour Candidate has been a member for less than 5 weeks

I think Labour still loses but will do better with this Candidate

It does rather smack of desperation.
    It's quite routine to waive that rule if the candidate is convincing (I've seen it at least six times at various levels), but in this case she was a former member who let it lapse after Jo's death when she was setting up a non-partisan charity. Doubt if it's a profitable line of attack.
    Labour are free to choose who they want. In fact, I think SKS himself was parachuted into a safe seat after being a member for less than 12 months, so it would be churlish of him to deny the same opportunity to Kim Leadbetter.

However, in her published remarks, Kim Leadbetter does not quite say what you are claiming.

She says she was not political but she campaigned strongly for her sister.

That is not quite the same as being a "former member".

Always good to note the language with care !
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,199
    TOPPING said:

On topic.

Those saying it is a desperate measure for Lab to choose someone involved in politics whose family member was killed by politics are scum.

I think it's as good a reason as any to select a candidate and she's clearly done a lot of good work over the last few years.

My one concern is this. If Labour loses there is a small risk someone in the PLP says something they shouldn't about the voters. But then if Labour loses, they'll be in a pretty bad place anyway so probably not worth worrying about.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

REVELATION:

Oooh you posh gift
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: wondering if Azerbaijan might be a little worse for Ferrari and Red Bull and a little better for McLaren, Mercedes, and Aston Martin.

What price Norris another podium? He's arguably the best performing driver of the year so far. Third in the title race.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

REVELATION:

Oooh you posh gift
    Not at all. It's horrible.

:wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

I think it's as good a reason as any to select a candidate and she's clearly done a lot of good work over the last few years.

My one concern is this. If Labour loses there is a small risk someone in the PLP says something they shouldn't about the voters. But then if Labour loses, they'll be in a pretty bad place anyway so probably not worth worrying about.
    There will always be someone in the PLP who will say any old thing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

REVELATION:

Oooh you posh gift

Expensive but horrible

I am fortunate enough to have choices
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,974
    dixiedean said:

She isn't just Jo Cox's sister though.
    She is local, a lecturer, and well-known in her own right for more in common.
    Good choice that goes way beyond a sympathy vote.

Merely picking someone for a sympathy vote doesn't work, it can even be counter productive - the candidate still needs to be decent, or at least not obviously crap, and it sounds like they have done that.

That rules have been waived to select her make it obvious it is also about a sympathy vote, as there are bound to be good candidates who dont need rules waived, but as an additional factor rather than sole appeal that shouldn't be counter productive here.

Of course, that she is apparently a good candidate in her own right might mean it's hard to tell if the family connection is significant when Labour win. Opponents of the leadership may well use the factor to explain a win despite Keir.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

But that's the problem. They need iron discipline that cracks down on anyone who treats the voters with contempt. That's why they are losing in places like Hartlepool. Labour took them for granted and the party thinks the proles owe them their votes.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Merely picking someone for a sympathy vote doesn't work, it can even be counter productive - the candidate still needs to be decent, or at least not obviously crap, and it sounds like they have done that.

That rules have been waived to select her make it obvious it is also about a sympathy vote, as there are bound to be good candidates who dont need rules waived, but as an additional factor rather than sole appeal that shouldn't be counter productive here.

Of course, that she is apparently a good candidate in her own right might mean it's hard to tell if the family connection is significant when Labour win. Opponents of the leadership may well use the factor to explain a win despite Keir.
    Were there other good local candidates though? If there were it wasn't obvious from this vantage point.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Looks a bit tacky, frankly.

Columns demand something epic in scale or they look silly.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Leon said:

1/ Today we (
    @ONS

Excellent....

They mis-typed.
    For some reason, your area should be labelled “quite depraved”.
    No idea why.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Were there other good local candidates though? If there were it wasn't obvious from this vantage point.
    I assume there must have been. Simply on a statistical basis I think either of the big two could find a credible candidate in most seats, particularly one they currently hold, if they really want to.

Which is not to say they always pick that credible candidate.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

REVELATION:

Oooh you posh gift

Expensive but horrible

There was a nursing home at No.12 many moons ago. We (well, my to be family) were actually living in Bolton Gardens at the time and trust me it's been downhill ever since.

But thanks for casting nasturtiums on my family's taste. :smile:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

On topic.

Seems a bit harsh. I dont think it is desperate of them, but multiple things can true at the same time - nothing says her honourable and moving motivation for putting herself forward and party desperation being a factor in the choice cannot coexist.

Politics is a cynical old business. Were the family connection the only factor that would show desperation, but no one seems to be saying that as she appears a decent candidate anyway.

But something can be not the most relevant factor whilst still not being irrelevant.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

REVELATION:

Oooh you posh gift

Thought you were going to say Avenue Road, Gateshead.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Good morning, everyone.

F1: wondering if Azerbaijan might be a little worse for Ferrari and Red Bull and a little better for McLaren, Mercedes, and Aston Martin.

What price Norris another podium? He's arguably the best performing driver of the year so far. Third in the title race.

Good call on Norris. He is indeed having a great season so far.

Baku should really be a Mercedes 1-2, assuming they remember how to change their wheels.
    (Bottas’ car is being shipped back to the factory from Monaco with that wheel still attached to the car, they couldn’t find a way of removing it at all!)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,598
    Leon said:

Leon said:

1/ Today we (
    @ONS

Excellent....

lol

I've just noticed that the ONS has the *western* side of Chalcot Square, in Primrose Hill, marked as "definitely more deprived"

A house for sale on Chalcot Square (the sides do not differ):

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/58388496/?search_identifier=c5a6d3b3399ef0ed20f156cb759d8b07

£.5.5 million

Is the rest of the map equally as bad?
    Is this not the problem with averages? Sometimes they are meaningless because the total sample doesn't make up a coherent continuum or spectrum. Just as there isn't a an average Labour seat (if you average out many of the factors in Labour seats you get a Tory one) there isn't an average resident of any part of a borough like Camden (in which I lived years ago).

• Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

Seems a bit harsh. I dont think it is desperate of them, but multiple things can true at the same time - nothing says her honourable and moving motivation for putting herself forward and party desperation being a factor in the choice cannot coexist.

Politics is a cynical old business. Were the family connection the only factor that would show desperation, but no one seems to be saying that as she appears a decent candidate anyway.

But something can be not the most relevant factor whilst still not being irrelevant.
    I can't remember who it is on here, but someone has told us that they know someone with a famous Labour surname who has been pestered by the party to become a Labour MP.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

But that's the problem. They need iron discipline that cracks down on anyone who treats the voters with contempt. That's why they are losing in places like Hartlepool. Labour took them for granted and the party thinks the proles owe them their votes.
    True. And while not contemptuous necessarily all parties have their outriders.

Before they became mainstream and at the heart of the Conservative Party the likes of Bill Cash, et al were out there.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Columns demand something epic in scale or they look silly.
    They smack of southern slave plantations to me....
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theyll-kill-me-terrified-roman-protasevich-told-ryanair-flight-crew-rb0mxg3vm

This is real news, unlike the Prince Harry / Martin Bashir / Meghan Markle stuff that we keep having to listen to.

Harry and Megan will be coming along soon to tell you why their suffering and grief is more intense than Roman's
  • Options
    On topic, Kim sounds like a good choice, she’s well known in the community and not just “Jo Cox’s Sister”. They do need to talk up her credentials rather then her family though.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

On topic.

The political aspects are more nuanced than you would suggest.

Selecting Kim Leadbeater because she is a well known figure in the community in her own right is smart politics. We haven't seen much of it from Labour recently.

That she wasn't a Labour member until very recently - and they have had to waive the rules of 12 months a member to be a candidate - hey, they are Labour's rules, they can waive them if they want. Might be a few local noses out of joint, but they will have to row in behind Kim (or sit on their hands and hope she loses if they are that ambitious...).

BUT running the angle that Kim is Jo Cox's sister is not without risks.

1. It devalues Kim as the candidate in her own right, for her own platform and ideas.
    2. It risks putting off some voters who see it as mawkish - or worse.
    3. On the other hand, it was five years ago, so may have less resonance for others than if she were the candidate in the 2016 by-election.
    4. Her family connection has meant that other candidates weren't considered - she may or may not be the best local candidate to have emerged if her status as Jo's sister hadn't been used to encourage others not to stand.
    5. Kim's selection defies people to argue against the idea that "it is what Jo would have wanted". It might make polling tricky if people think they need to say one thing - whilst voting another.
    6. Kim is another vocal Remainer. That might be enough to encourage the Heavy Woollen District Independents not to put up a candidate - if that would tilt the odds towards a Leaver MP representing Batley and Spen.

Ok yes they are well made points. Every candidate will have merits and demerits but what do you do, ban her from politics?

It wouldn't be the first Labour misstep but I think she deserves to be judged on those merits.
  • Options
    I've had a quick look at how Japan NZ and Oz are doing in the vaccine stakes.

Better than I expected - Japan is running at 500k per day now, and Oz is getting 1m a week from its AZ vaccine plant, plus Pf from abroad. NZ is at the same level per pop as Oz.

So now running at about 0.3% per day.

• Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

Don't disagree but saying it's desperate denies her agency to have wanted to do it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

On topic, Kim sounds like a good choice, she’s well known in the community and not just “Jo Cox’s Sister”. They do need to talk up her credentials rather then her family though.

I think marqueemark makes a good point that it has less resonance than had she been the candidate 5 years ago. They shouldn't need to over emphasise it.

Indeed, we should keep an eye out for false suggestions they overemphasise it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

True. And while not contemptuous necessarily all parties have their outriders.

Before they became mainstream and at the heart of the Conservative Party the likes of Bill Cash, et al were out there.
    What's wrong with Cash? Sure, you might not agree with him about Europe etc., and you might think his interests are niche, but he always comes across as reasonable.

I'd have thought someone like Christopher Chope would be a better example of a problem MP for the Tories.

However, I think Labour has far far more complete f****** idiots to worry about. Just yesterday Valerie Vaz was questioning just how ill the PM was when he had COVID.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

TOPPING said:

On topic.

Selecting Kim Leadbeater because she is a well known figure in the community in her own right is smart politics. We haven't seen much of it from Labour recently.

That she wasn't a Labour member until very recently - and they have had to waive the rules of 12 months a member to be a candidate - hey, they are Labour's rules, they can waive them if they want. Might be a few local noses out of joint, but they will have to row in behind Kim (or sit on their hands and hope she loses if they are that ambitious...).

1. It devalues Kim as the candidate in her own right, for her own platform and ideas.
    3. On the other hand, it was five years ago, so may have less resonance for others than if she were the candidate in the 2016 by-election.
    4. Her family connection has meant that other candidates weren't considered - she may or may not be the best local candidate to have emerged if her status as Jo's sister hadn't been used to encourage others not to stand.
    5. Kim's selection defies people to argue against the idea that "it is what Jo would have wanted". It might make polling tricky if people think they need to say one thing - whilst voting another.
    6. Kim is another vocal Remainer. That might be enough to encourage the Heavy Woollen District Independents not to put up a candidate - if that would tilt the odds towards a Leaver MP representing Batley and Spen.

In Yorkshire many voters may want particular answers from any Labour candidate, like:

What are your party's policies, and, with some particularity, how do they differ from the Tories.

Why do you think Brexit is a good idea for the UK and what is your plan for making it brilliant; or if you don't think it's brilliant why are you not campaigning to join EU/EFTA.

What's your plan for deficit and debt.

And Why should I vote for and trust a party whose members are capable of electing Jezza as leader twice, and still welcomes Burgon, Diane Abbott and co into the fold.

And (for those who usually vote Tory): Why do Labour members describe me as 'vermin' and 'scum' when I am just an ordinary person doing my best?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

Ok yes they are well made points. Every candidate will have merits and demerits but what do you do, ban her from politics?

It wouldn't be the first Labour misstep but I think she deserves to be judged on those merits.
    Perhaps she should be judged on those merits. But almost all the media reporting including this thread header and even her own statements mention the family connections quite heavily so anyone discussing what she herself is bringing up is not scum.

At the very least imposing Paul whatshisname in Hartlepool was like insulting the voters given his campaigning versus their voting. That's not the case here even though she's another remainer in a leave area.
  • Options

.... (or sit on their hands and hope she loses if they are that ambitious) ....

A thought that also occurred to devious me.

The main people who will be upset at this are indeed ambitious local Councillors who have paid their dues to Labour, & were working their way up the slippy pole, & now find themselves outflanked by someone who was not even a Labour party member. (I think it is clear from what Kim has said that she was a Labour Party supporter, not a member, previously).

David Herdson seems to think that both Labour & Tory candidate are very strong ... or has he put it on twitter, "whoever wins the Batley & Spen by-election will be a considerable improvement on Tracey Brabin."

It is looking like a cracking by-election -- Gorgeous George is there already.

And we must surely anticipate the Heavy Woolies joining in the fun.

I know nothing about the constituency, so I am hoping our Yorkshire posters turn out to be as accurate in their predictions as our North-East posters were regarding Hartlepool ....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

Don't disagree but saying it's desperate denies her agency to have wanted to do it.
    No it does not.

I don't think anyone has suggested that she is desperate. But it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that the Labour Party have agreed to her candidacy despite her not meeting the qualification criteria rules because they are desperate.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

I tend to disagree, since the desperation argument is presumably about their agency in picking her, not her agency to stand. Lots of people want to stand for parliament, and a cynical pick from a party could show desperation regardless of the candidates agency.

But its moot anyway as even if it were cynical to some degree true desperation would be shown by cynically picking a crap candidate, and she isn't that. So I'd suspect any such claims will be minor mutterings and the Tories won't want to belabour the point.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I think marqueemark makes a good point that it has less resonance than had she been the candidate 5 years ago. They shouldn't need to over emphasise it.

Indeed, we should keep an eye out for false suggestions they overemphasise it.
    The sensible thing would be for the party and candidate to say nothing about it, and let others do that if they wish.

As Marquee Mark articulates well, there can be both positives and negatives of such a personal campaign, so it would be better for them to concentrate on talking up her achievements and what she can offer to the people as their representative, rather than who she is. Most people who watch the news, will already know who she is.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, that was astonishingly bad luck for Bottas.

Big straight will be splendid for Mercedes, but every chance of a safety car and comedy restarts.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    edited May 2021
    It's a bit weird that the guidance not to travel into Leicester, not meet indoors etc was updated on 21st May, but no one was told.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-coronavirus-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do#if-youre-in-an-area-where-the-new-covid-19-variant-is-spreading

I went round for dinner and Eurovision with Fox Jr on the 22nd.

It does look like tiers are being reintroduced, but surely it only works if people are told about them?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Harry and Megan will be coming along soon to tell you why their suffering and grief is more intense than Roman's
    Isnt the modern thing to dramatically emote about the suffering of others to draw attention to yourself?

I think dislike of that may even unite wokesters and antiwokesters to some degree (eg against the stereotype of the famous rich white people lecturing while holding a sick African child)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,294

The main people who will be upset at this are indeed ambitious local Councillors who have paid their dues to Labour, & were working their way up the slippy pole, & now find themselves outflanked by someone who was not even a Labour party member. (I think it is clear from what Kim has said that she was a Labour Party supporter, not a member, previously).

David Herdson seems to think that both Labour & Tory candidate are very strong ... or has he put it on twitter, "whoever wins the Batley & Spen by-election will be a considerable improvement on Tracey Brabin."

I know nothing about the constituency, so I am hoping our Yorkshire posters turn out to be as accurate in their predictions as our North-East posters were regarding Hartlepool ....

Not all North East posters were accurate.

Sadly. I called Hartlepool wrong even ignoring the well to do areas around it like Dalton Percy and Hart. In my defence I called a Durham council correct.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Foxy said:

It's a bit weird that the guidance not to travel into Leicester, not meet indoors etc was updated on 21st May, but no one was told.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-coronavirus-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do#if-youre-in-an-area-where-the-new-covid-19-variant-is-spreading

It does look like tiers are being reintroduced, but surely it only works if people are told about them?

Another reason local restrictions dont work. Doesnt get as much national attention which people follow, and loads locally wont follow local news even if it is announced there.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

On topic.

No it does not.

I don't think anyone has suggested that she is desperate. But it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that the Labour Party have agreed to her candidacy despite her not meeting the qualification criteria rules because they are desperate.
    She wasn't parachuted in though, 80% of local Labour Members chose her.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/23/jo-cox-sister-labour-candidate-batley-and-spen-byelection-kim-leadbeater
  • Options
    Taz said:

Not all North East posters were accurate.

Sadly. I called Hartlepool wrong even ignoring the well to do areas around it like Dalton Percy and Hart. In my defence I called a Durham council correct.
    You have the consolation that you didn't do as badly as the Welsh posters, all of whom failed to predict the result of Labour +1 at the Senedd.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    edited May 2021

As I posted earlier, MM isn't really right - she was a Labour member until Jo was killed, then she lapsed while setting up a non-partisan charity, and then she rejoined. I don't think there is any significant resistance within the party - she got 80% of the vote of constituency members, which is pretty much as good as anyone gets. The question is how much candidate quality matters - the general professional view is that a really good candidate is worth 5% on the vote, or perhaps up to 10% if they're standing for their first re-election (obviously not the case here).

Edit: I see MM also says that other candidates weren't considered. This is also mistaken - there were three on the shortlist on which members voted.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

REVELATION:

Oooh you posh gift

Expensive but horrible

There was a nursing home at No.12 many moons ago. We (well, my to be family) were actually living in Bolton Gardens at the time and trust me it's been downhill ever since.

But thanks for casting nasturtiums on my family's taste. :smile:
    Don’t worry - the Communist part of our family used to live in Carlton Gardens
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Isnt the modern thing to dramatically emote about the suffering of others to draw attention to yourself?

I think dislike of that may even unite wokesters and antiwokesters to some degree (eg against the stereotype of the famous rich white people lecturing while holding a sick African child)
    It’s the self-centred narcissism that really annoys people, when we see those for whom everything always has to be about themselves.

At a time when there’s a load of genuine suffering going on in the world, hearing someone going on about how awful their life is, from their huge mansion, just grates with the public. Especially when he’s seemingly getting a massive cheque for doing his therapy sessions in public.
  • Options

As I posted earlier, MM isn't really right - she was a Labour member until Jo was killed, then she lapsed while setting up a non-partisan charity, and then she rejoined. I don't think there is any significant resistance within the party - she got 80% of the vote of constituency members, which is pretty much as good as anyone gets. The question is how much candidate quality matters - the general professional view is that a really good candidate is worth 5% on the vote, or perhaps up to 10% if they're standing for their first re-election (obviously not the case here).
    I keep on making the point that what Kim Leadbetter has said is that she wasn't political, but campaigned very strongly for her sister.

Kim herself has not said (as far as I am aware) that she was formerly a Labour Party member.

I suspect a good candidate is worth more at a by-election. So, I think 5% is pessimistic. In a by-election, I think an excellent candidate is worth at least +3,000

However, if Herdson is right and both Tory & Labour candidates are strong, then this effect will be largely self-cancelling in B&S.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2021
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Another reason local restrictions dont work. Doesnt get as much national attention which people follow, and loads locally wont follow local news even if it is announced there.
    Local restrictions may exist in theory, but will only be applied in practice if they're measures like business closures that are relatively easy to monitor/enforce.

Advice not to travel in and out of areas will go unnoticed by many and disregarded by most. The Plague is, to all intents and purposes, already over in this country. At a guess, at least three-quarters of the population is thoroughly bored of the whole thing and is no longer scared of it either.
  • Options

Edit: I see MM also says that other candidates weren't considered. This is also mistaken - there were three on the shortlist on which members voted.
    No, I suggested that Kim saying she intended to stand pre-empted others throwing their hat in the ring (for the sound reason she was very likely to win, regardless).

And Labour DID still have to waive the 12 month member rule to allow her to stand. I assume none of the other candidates needed this helping hand?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Local restrictions may exist in theory, but will only be applied in practice if they're measures like business closures that are relatively easy to monitor/enforce.

Advice not to travel in and out of areas will go unnoticed by many and disregarded by most. The Plague is, to all intents and purposes, already over in this country. At a guess, at least three-quarters of the population is thoroughly bored of the whole thing and is no longer scared of it either.
    Travel restrictions only work if they are properly policed.

That applies both to local restrictions around hotspots, and to quarantine of arrivals from overseas.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

Baku should really be a Mercedes 1-2, assuming they remember how to change their wheels.
    (Bottas’ car is being shipped back to the factory from Monaco with that wheel still attached to the car, they couldn’t find a way of removing it at all!)
    If Red Bull still have their floppy rear wing (probable), they should also be on the podium.
    I suspect the odds on Norris will be too short to be value.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,542
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

It wouldn't be difficult to have done a Covid Briefing on the tellybox announcing the new guidance. But that would have meant someone standing up and being asked questions.

Besides, Batley and Spen is in Kirklees, one of the affected areas.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

One of the things that is making it more difficult for Hamilton is that Bottas is just not competitive this season and is not taking as many points off Verstappen as he should be. Hamilton is going to need some 1-2s and it is very hard to see him getting them. This is surely Bottas's last season with Mercedes. Indeed he might not even make the end of the season if he doesn't buck his ideas up.
  • Options
    Mr. B, d'you reckon Ferrari will be value?

Leclerc was very good at Baku a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s the self-centred narcissism that really annoys people, when we see those for whom everything always has to be about themselves.

At a time when there’s a load of genuine suffering going on in the world, hearing someone going on about how awful their life is, from their huge mansion, just grates with the public. Especially when he’s seemingly getting a massive cheque for doing his therapy sessions in public.
    So far as I can see the only people banging on about H and M are the haters...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    EXCL: The @Daily_Record has the SNP's Social Justice and Fairness Commission report:

- citizens' assembly on drugs decriminalisation
    - Land Value Tax over Council Tax
    - Increased social security payments
    - encouraging migration

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1397086698316697601?s=20
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Do they actually have any sort of fan-base (in the UK)?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1/ Today we (
    @ONS

Excellent....

lol

I've just noticed that the ONS has the *western* side of Chalcot Square, in Primrose Hill, marked as "definitely more deprived"

A house for sale on Chalcot Square (the sides do not differ):

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/58388496/?search_identifier=c5a6d3b3399ef0ed20f156cb759d8b07

£.5.5 million

Is the rest of the map equally as bad?
    I live in the least deprived part of Havering, so it’s fine by me
    Large parts of Soho, Fitzrovia and Covent Garden are also seriously deprived, apparently, as is nearly all of Islington, Clerkenwell, most of Highbury; and King's Cross/St Pancras is the pits: raging red with deprivation, and basically wall to wall hookers and crack dens...

This is going to come as shocking news to a lot of London estate agents

"St Pancras Chambers
    3 bed Penthouse

Guide Price
    £11,500,000"

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/88945540#/
    Remind us what home ownership levels are in those areas.

Rather less than the number of council tenants as I remember.
    If you rent a flat in those areas, you have money. Or you are a subsidised student at a fine university. Again, probably not poor

There aren't many council flats left in these areas, but there are some

It is just nuts to call these areas "deprived". Covent Garden? Fitzrovia??

To be charitable, it might just be a London problem: perhaps they are having problems mapping gentrification. Which is why I asked if other areas around England were mapped better
    The Westminster map looks accurate to me.

Belgravia, Knightsbridge, Mayfair, Bayswater, St Johns Wood, most of Marylebone all highly affluent.

North Paddington and much of Pimlico deprived.

Compare the map to voting patterns and its spot on.

How many people actually live in Covent Garden now anyway ?

There are certainly some council flats there.
    It's better in Westminster but still weird flaws. A large chunk of St John's Wood near Primrose Hill is "deprived". What, really? Compared to where?

Ditto... Whitehall. lol. And the Houses of Parliament. So they aren't fiddling their expenses after all

It will also be news to the inhabitants of Portland Place, W1, that they should be heading over to the foodbanks tomorrow

My guess is this map is based on old/skewed data - which has missed a lot of gentrification - and it is applied in a way that cannot compute unusual areas like central and inner London

Are you sure you're not missing any council flats ?

They can be in some surprising places in central London, behind posh looking streets.

I noticed that Delancey Street is in a below average area - I'm sure SeanT would prefer that as it gives a George Orwell 'hungry writer living in a garret' image.

AVENUE ROAD, ST JOHN'S WOOD, IS "DEPRIVED"

Come on, let's get together and help them. Start some kind of grass roots PB campaign to feed them. Reach out, offer soup, blankets, anything, before it is all too horribly late

Time to level up the left behind in St John's Wood, Covent Garden and Primrose Hill and let the fat cats of Hartlepool pay for it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

If Red Bull still have their floppy rear wing (probable), they should also be on the podium.
    I suspect the odds on Norris will be too short to be value.
    I can see that RB rear wing being protested it they run it, which will cause the sort of chaos where we don’t know the official result for weeks.

FIA have screwed up here, even more than their former chairman in his dungeon of whores.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That applies both to local restrictions around hotspots, and to quarantine of arrivals from overseas.
    Well quite - and who thinks the Leicestershire Police are going to throw up a ring of roadblocks around the city? Precisely no-one.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,275
    Foxy said:

I think this is the approach from next month for us all. Laws will be replaced with guidance. Bad news for those who hate masks as I suspect a lot of places will carry on mandating them...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,318

On Topic

Labour Party Rule must have been a Member for 12 Consecutive months prior to being a Candidate

I know that rule very well. As they have done with Jo Cox's sister the CLP will have had the regional director waive the rule to put the chosen candidate. We did the same in Stockton for a by-election to replace a very popular local councillor who died with his daughter.

She got slaughtered.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Young people
  • Options
    Mr. L, to be fair, Bottas was doing very well in Monaco, and qualified far ahead of Hamilton.

If he and Leclerc hadn't failed to score, Hamilton would've been 9th.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

One of the things that is making it more difficult for Hamilton is that Bottas is just not competitive this season and is not taking as many points off Verstappen as he should be. Hamilton is going to need some 1-2s and it is very hard to see him getting them. This is surely Bottas's last season with Mercedes. Indeed he might not even make the end of the season if he doesn't buck his ideas up.
    To be fair to Bottas, he’s had two DNFs this year, neither of which were his fault. His other three results were all podium finishes, including two bonus points.

He’s also a lot closer to Hamilton than Max’s team mate has ever been.
  • Options

EXCL: The @Daily_Record has the SNP's Social Justice and Fairness Commission report:

- encouraging migration

Fascinating suggestion that despite having an oversupply of elected citizen's assemblies - one in the smart bit of Westminster, another in the smart bit of Edinburgh - yet another (lacking the powers of either) is needed to deal with Scotland's uniquely bad drugs situation.

Cui bono?

• Options

Foxy said:

I think this is the approach from next month for us all. Laws will be replaced with guidance. Bad news for those who hate masks as I suspect a lot of places will carry on mandating them...
    Very true. It's more of a nuisance than a serious impediment at work, given that I've only got to use the wretched gag when I leave my usual location during the day, BUT... I do wonder how many years we'll be stuck with the fucking things before we're finally allowed to burn them.
  • Options

Foxy said:

If it means I don't have to go to the office, great!
  • Options

On Topic

I know that rule very well. As they have done with Jo Cox's sister the CLP will have had the regional director waive the rule to put the chosen candidate. We did the same in Stockton for a by-election to replace a very popular local councillor who died with his daughter.

She got slaughtered.
    I just don't think that people are nearly as sentimental about this kind of thing as politicians like to think. The delusion, I think, is that we care about our politicians at all or can even remember their names most of the time. She may well be a good candidate on her own merits but this Jo Cox thing is barely worth a mention.

This seat should be really close. Whether the Heavy Woollens get back from Sebastopol in time to put up a candidate may well be decisive.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Not a fan but I have more respect for them than for the Daily Heil and all the frequently misogynist haters banging on about them.

They're not in politics or even in this country. If you've got nothing nice to say about them, how about just denying them the oxygen of publicity instead of banging on about them every other day?
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, point of order: Ricciardo was only around two-tenths or so off Verstappen when he left.

If Perez were that close now, Mercedes would be screwed.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Mr. Sandpit, point of order: Ricciardo was only around two-tenths or so off Verstappen when he left.

If Perez were that close now, Mercedes would be screwed.

The team shouldn’t have treated him like a second class citizen, he wouldn’t have left, and they’d be in a much better position right now. No sympathy for Marko and Horner.

Bottas frequently out qualifies Hamilton.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    algarkirk said:

- encouraging migration

Fascinating suggestion that despite having an oversupply of elected citizen's assemblies - one in the smart bit of Westminster, another in the smart bit of Edinburgh - yet another (lacking the powers of either) is needed to deal with Scotland's uniquely bad drugs situation.

Cui bono?

Well, of course, having a pointless waffle about drugs once again avoids the need to do anything about the problem.

Fast forward another three years to when it has finished waffling and recommended some solution that both requires the assent of Westminster and is completely unacceptable to it, and the rejection of the idea then means that Scotland's drug problem is, in fact, the fault of the English Tories. Like everything else that ever goes wrong in Scotland. Job done.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Fan base isn't a word that I would use, but as I recall it was 2:1 against them in polling after the interview, so yes, significant minority support.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On Topic

She got slaughtered.
    I just don't think that people are nearly as sentimental about this kind of thing as politicians like to think. The delusion, I think, is that we care about our politicians at all or can even remember their names most of the time. She may well be a good candidate on her own merits but this Jo Cox thing is barely worth a mention.

This seat should be really close. Whether the Heavy Woollens get back from Sebastopol in time to put up a candidate may well be decisive.
    Labour must be hoping they do. It's their best chance...
  • Options

Mr. L, to be fair, Bottas was doing very well in Monaco, and qualified far ahead of Hamilton.

If he and Leclerc hadn't failed to score, Hamilton would've been 9th.

Hamilton had a rare off weekend in Monaco but Bottas did not look competitive to me even before the wheel didn't come loose. Of course it wouldn't have mattered all that much as all he had to do was keep his place in the procession for a good finish. It was a terrible race. But even at other circuits there has been radio messages expressing some impatience with Bottas in terms of go faster, you need to put pressure on, etc.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501

Foxy said:

I think that's regrettable, but I don't really object on principle if Tesco requires me to wear a mask to go to Tesco. I do object if the government requires me to wear a mask to go to Tesco.

I suspect my local butcher will waive the mask requirement as soon as the law allows, and will get much more custom as a result. (Local butcher has been a definite winner from the pandemic - during the early months, the queue outside looked like Christmas Eve every day, and the queue on Christmas Eve itself was four hours long).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Well quite - and who thinks the Leicestershire Police are going to throw up a ring of roadblocks around the city? Precisely no-one.
    2 day after the unnoticed guidance 8000, including me, were in the pubs prior to the match. Seems very contradictory to me.
  • Options

DavidL said:

On Topic

She got slaughtered.

Labour must be hoping they do. It's their best chance...
    Agreed. The other problem from their point of view are the Greens who are polling better and better and could well bleed away a few thousand from Labour if they stand.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,688
    So the 'Don't go to Kirklees etc' advice came out on Friday but the government didn't bother to let anyone know.

Total incompetence.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Morning everyone. When are we going to have some better weather! Not actually raining at the moment, but can't call it sunny and warm.

I can see the sense of restricting travel to and from areas with high Covid, but I can also see the desirability of telling people about said restrictions.
    Eldest Granddaughter/s research is being carried out in Kirklees. She's not said anything about restrictions.
This discussion has been closed.