Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sending best wishes to PBer JohnO – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Andy_JS said:

Amanda Holden is getting a lot of abuse on Twitter.

For making a joke about the whole thing being really camp?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Andy_JS said:

Just a normal evening then surely?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352

Foxy said:

At least the French didn't win.

I class that as an absolute win for the UK.

I rather liked the French entry.
    That's treasonous talk.
    You're sounding like a Brexiteer!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,740
    I thought France would win, (assuming the disqualification happens).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

From what I remember, she greeted the Dutch hosts in both Dutch and French, and then said something like "I can't remember which language is which!"

But I might have misheard!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Don't throw away your bet slips just yet.

I honestly think the Italians may get disqualified.

https://twitter.com/catjxx1/status/1396228182836195343

Basically, Switzerland were leading after the professional juries voted, but Italy ended up highest after they went to the lines?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

For her cringy “I don’t know what these foreign languages are lolololol”.

And we wonder why we get zero votes.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347
    MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

Belgium screws over France

To be fair there's not much regional voting this year (apart from Cyprus).
    That’ll kick in for the public vote. It was the reason the jury voting was reintroduced.
    None of whom anywhere have given us a single vote..

They hate us.
    Our only chance is probably a punk entry about how much we hate them too.
    That might actually work tbf.
    Yes, the audacity and energy of it could be a winner. Would never be allowed by the BBC, though.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,352
    The tweet is clearly sarcastic
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Leon said:

Not convinced
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347
    I think it's great that the British public in general can enjoy Eurovision without being too hung up over whether the British entry does well at all. Makes a contrast with the anguish over the performance of the England football team.
  • Options

Leon said:

Not convinced
    He’s trolling. Next tweet

“I think every year we should forgo the contest and simply hand out points to the countries that were most courageous and successful at standing up against Hitler.”
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Not really my cup of tea, but won by summat different which stood out for good or ill. Indeed the top 5 were all arguably like that.
    We always go for the blandest MOR. And duly get run over.

Jesus, the winning song was TERRIBLE. Mediocre soft-rock metal. The passionate French chick was better

Yeah, but that is Metal. Hated by the elites, loved by the people.

I have always loved Metal. Other music too, but a very soft spot for it.

• Options

alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

I have heard fantastic sexual gossip about Ms Holden. Send me a postal order for £10 and it’s yours forever. A precious heirloom of OMFG-she-likes-what???? which you can hand on to your children, and grandchildren
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,189
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Clearly what he (and so many others) really thinks given a brittle gloss of ‘never fancied you anyway, amn’t I a card’.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    isam said:

I didn’t watch the ESC and am listening to Miss Misery by Elliott Smith instead

I didn't watch it either. Never do. The last decent tune to come out of Eurovision was from Abba nearly 50 years ago. Instead we introduced my 13 year old son to The Blues Brothers.

Now that is proper music.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Not really my cup of tea, but won by summat different which stood out for good or ill. Indeed the top 5 were all arguably like that.

Jesus, the winning song was TERRIBLE. Mediocre soft-rock metal. The passionate French chick was better

Whuh? I love metal. At its best it is pure orgasmic release via music. The mosh pit!

One of my favourite ever gigs EVER was Monsters of Rock at Castle Donington in 1994

Look at this.

https://youtu.be/Yyipk3lC9Og

It’s Therapy? A good metal band. A great song. Terrible singing In this performance.

But if you go to 9:22 on that video I’m in the heart of that mosh pit, off my tits on speed
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    For those blaming Brexit for us getting shite scores at Eurovision:

for the ten years before we voted to leave, our results were:

22nd
    25th (last)
    5th
    25th (last)
    11th
    25th
    19th
    17th
    24th
    24th

The earlier part of that sequence was probably down to Blair taking us into the Iraq war.

The latter part of that sequence was more likely to have resulted in Brexit. Gotta love the irony of the Beeb picking the songs that soured our relations with Europe to the point we left the EU.....

Hanging Brexit around the Beeb's neck would really cap their fine week.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2021

22nd
    25th (last)
    5th
    25th (last)
    11th
    25th
    19th
    17th
    24th
    24th

The earlier part of that sequence was probably down to Blair taking us into the Iraq war.

The latter part of that sequence was more likely to have resulted in Brexit. Gotta love the irony of the Beeb picking the songs that soured our relations with Europe to the point we left the EU.....

So this is a "despite Brexit".....
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Whuh? I love metal. At its best it is pure orgasmic release via music. The mosh pit!

One of my favourite ever gigs EVER was Monsters of Rock at Castle Donington in 1994

Look at this.

It’s Therapy? A good metal band. A great song. Terrible singing In this performance.

But if you go to 9:22 on that video I’m in the heart of that mosh pit, off my tits on speed
    I wouldn't call that metal...rock, not metal.

Of course for the kids that metal is too mainstream, you have metalcore.
  • Options

22nd
    25th (last)
    5th
    25th (last)
    11th
    25th
    19th
    17th
    24th
    24th

I really don’t think it’s Brexit or Iraq. The plunge in the British score coincides neatly with the rise and supremacy of the English Language at Eurovision. Remember Eurovision is a continental invention: Italian at first then firmed up by France.

For a long time it was multilingual, then at least bilingual between French and English (‘nul points!’).

Then English finally took over about 20 years ago. The English have not been forgiven

“The language rule was abolished once again in 1999, resulting in 14 of that year's 23 competing entries featuring English lyrics.[26][27]”

Since the abolition of the language rule, the large majority of entries at each year's contest are now performed in English, given its status as a lingua franca”

Our last win was 1997

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest
  • Options
    I see its that time of the year again....

Its soooooo unfair I went for a course that most candidates have 27 A*s and there is really limited places / incredible competition and I was only predicted 2 A* and an A and I didn't get on.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/may/22/top-pupils-rejected-by-universities-in-a-levels-fiasco-fallout
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Is that all the turn out they could manage?

People take part in a BLM protest to commemorate the death of George Floyd nearly a year after his death

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/22/anti-racism-protesters-gather-in-london

The way Sky Sports push BLM you would think there was millions on the street every week.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

I have heard fantastic sexual gossip about Ms Holden. Send me a postal order for £10 and it’s yours forever. A precious heirloom of OMFG-she-likes-what???? which you can hand on to your children, and grandchildren
    She's an Everton season ticket holder.
    I warm to her. Good girl.
    Or yes Misstress.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,896
    edited May 2021

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

Belgium screws over France

To be fair there's not much regional voting this year (apart from Cyprus).
    That’ll kick in for the public vote. It was the reason the jury voting was reintroduced.
    None of whom anywhere have given us a single vote..

They hate us.
    Our only chance is probably a punk entry about how much we hate them too.
    That might actually work tbf.
    Yes, the audacity and energy of it could be a winner. Would never be allowed by the BBC, though.
    Get the Millwall Football Choir to sing "No-one likes us, we don't care"
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Leon said:

alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Are you turning it into an NFT then?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,023

22nd
    25th (last)
    5th
    25th (last)
    11th
    25th
    19th
    17th
    24th
    24th

Also, we had a succession of truly awful songs.
  • Options

Yes, we get shit scores at Eurovision because the BBC sends shit acts and has been for years. This year Embers was a boring song, the staging was amateurish, and James Newman can't sing a frigging note and has the stage presence of a tailors dummy. Which is a bit of a handicap at a televised song contest.

What most people don't see about Eurovision is the quality of songs that some countries reject. When Italy, France, Sweden, Finland, etc, hold their national finals they discard songs that are far, far better than anything the BBC has sent in the past decade. It's a brutal and unforgiving process.

The UK isn't alone in screwing up Eurovison. Germany, Spain and and Ireland are all guilty of sending a stream of dreadful acts in recent years.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I called it, heroic trousers.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,468
    rcs1000 said:

22nd
    25th (last)
    5th
    25th (last)
    11th
    25th
    19th
    17th
    24th
    24th

Also, we had a succession of truly awful songs.
    That is the bigger point.
    The system doesn't really allow you to vote against countries you dislike. There isn't a way to vote tactically to keep country Y out. It doesn't matter if lots of people in country X dislike country Y if at least some people in country X also like country Y - and the polities are big enough that there will always be some pro-Brits in every country, even France.
    But this only helps if we send a song worth voting for.
    People watching and voting for Eurovision tend to quite like Eurovision. If we send terrible, bland songs that will enthuse no-one, no one will vote for us.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

That said, I thought they were all pretty bad. First time I've watched eurovision in a big way for many years. So not much has changed. When was the last time a eurovision winner went on to a stellar career like Abba? or Celine Dion?

As far as I can see, never. Abba is it. They all, basically, disappear

Katrina & the waves did ok (walking on sunshine)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,481
    Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon - You might find this interesting on UAP's and recent events- mainly in terms of some of the people being interviewed

A news anchor just doesn't know what to say at about 20:10 :smiley:

https://twitter.com/ufoartwork/status/1396054101373427714

There's a debunker called Mick West who quite plausibly shows that one of the crucial "alien" videos is actually..... a goose

Literally, a goose

It will be incredible if it turns out the American political and journalistic elite, up to and including President Obama, got all excited, and created the headlines of the century, by misidentifying a goose as ET
    I think these sightings are a US Government hoax. I believe the US military is pretty adept at using holograms. In fact, a few years back during the Arab Spring, 'the four horsemen of the apocalypse' were seen riding around during a riot somewhere, and there was a 'dove of peace' that appeared as a miracle in (I think) Egypt around the same time. These are on YouTube. Both look like very obvious holograms. They've obviously progressed from wanting to play God to wanting to play Mars Attacks.

If the US Government didn't want there to be an 'underground buzz' about aliens, let's face it there wouldn't be one. These people are not subtle. One thing is certain, if they do try to proceed with this even more, it is going to result in a national humiliation on a scale never before seen, as it is going to be pretty obviously a risible hoax, and pretty much the entire US Government will be implicated.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited May 2021
    kinabalu said:

gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

David Herdson on Boris’s 16 point best PM lead in today’s YouGov

“These are dreadful results for Starmer, much worse than last time the gap was this big.

Then, he had much more scope to create an impression with the public. Now, the impression has already been formed and will be much harder to shift - not least because it's probably right.”

https://twitter.com/davidherdson/status/1396059844474458112?s=21

Just wait until he does Piers Moron....20 point poll bounce incoming.
    That will be a proper bit of ‘can’t watch tv’
    Will be interesting to see what ratings it gets. That show has been losing viewership for quite a while now.
    Who will watch, other than some of the 24% who like him? If they all did the ratings would be pretty good I suppose, without changing his levels

Political journalists will too. I can’t see what’s so interesting about his life that you’d want to make a show about it. Private School, Uni, more uni, Lawyer, knighthood, unpopular, boring politician. Hardly a rollercoaster.

I was about to say I’m surprised Farage hadn’t done it, but of course he has!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/24/piers-morgans-life-stories-review-not-a-bad-interview-if-you-can-stomach-it
    Let go of the hate. If he bounces back you'll need hospital treatment. Don't risk it.
    No hate here for man like Sir Keir! If he bounces back, good for him
    You fool no-one. Well you probably do, but not me. You have really taken against the guy. He epitomises something for you. Something that gets your goat. It's to do with upward mobility and moral rectitude.
    I just don’t think he has what it takes to beat Boris. That’s all I’ve said from the start, nothing malicious. He seems an upright, decent person.

I don’t like him because he was one of the leading voices in trying to stop Brexit, and I think he comes across as really dull. But that goes for lots of people!

If he bounces back I’ll owe you £300 though
    That too. Mental anguish PLUS money down. Odds still on your side though. Very much so. But time is on mine.

Kinnock wasn't boring btw. Don't know why you say that. He was Mr Personality vs Grey John Major. And he lost.

But these are different times. Reality TV and social media times. Your pet theory does have some merit. It's not obvious and total bollocks.
    So reality TV and social media somehow makes it different than was? These days personality traits matter more than character references?
    Well Johnson has a big personality and a bad character and keeps winning elections. So something's going awry.
    I tried to advocate a proper political discussion on PB Eurovision nite. Utter waste of my time that was.

But to answer your question, Character traits always Trump personality traits, it’s important for polling firms and political bettors to understand the difference.

Other things play a part in elections, I can bung you more lolly than they will as I have better magic money trees and a magic wand to make globalisation go away and turn back time, and it takes a while for such lies to unravel.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Look at this.

You must have been off your head to think that was metal.
This discussion has been closed.