Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

No More to be Said? – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Boris Johnson hints at local lockdowns to curb Indian coronavirus variant" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/indian-variant-will-get-everywhere-hstwwknl0

Christ

All the smoke signals are quite bad. See here

"Scientists do not believe the Indian variant is likely to blunt the effectiveness of vaccines but have concluded it could well be more transmissible than the Kent variant now dominant in Britain. This would mean a far higher peak of infection in the summer and, as more of those who are still vulnerable catch the virus, thousands more deaths and hospital admissions."

&

"Dominic Cummings, who unsuccessfully attempted to convince Johnson to impose a “circuit breaker” lockdown last September, today retweeted a message from the mathematician Timothy Gowers.

"Gowers said that if there was even a 20 per cent chance that the B.617.2 variant was far more transmissible, “the cost of another big wave is much higher than the cost of delaying the next stage of the road map. The precautionary principle is much stronger when exponential growth is involved.”
    Except effectively all the vulnerable have been vaccinated and so they're not at real risk anymore. Haven't for a long time. 🤦‍♂️

By 21 June then all vaccines done by 31 May will be live and active.

120% of nothing is nothing. 200% of nothing is nothing. 1000% of nothing is nothing.
    Can anybody still be so ignorant as still to think that vaccinated = "at no risk"?

Truly, sometimes I think the human race is too stupid to survive.
    PT did NOT say "at no risk" he said "at no real risk".
    No pin too narrow for some people to dance on the head of, evidently!
    Must be missing something? Is it that ANY risk is totally unacceptable?

Or am I just misunderstanding what your driving at?
    Just try to think. Please. Just try to think.

The protection conferred by the vaccine is a factor of 10 or 20.

The estimated growth of the Indian variant in the UK per week is a factor of 2.

I hope those figures are misleading. But on the face of it, that growth rate would wipe out the benefit from the vaccine in a month or so.

Please just don't be so blase about it.
    Just to check, please: you mean in total population statistics, rather than the protection to a single individual?
    That's the point really. Vaccine efficacy reduces your risk by 90% or 95% or whatever. That's for a given level of infection in the population. If infection levels rise by a factor of 10 or 20 because of a new variant, you end up with the same level of risk that you started with. That's even if the vaccine is just as effective against the new variant.
    But we don't have an infinitely large population, so there's a limit to the number of people who can be infected to "undo" the vaccines effectiveness.

Let's suppose that Covid has a hospitalization rate of 5%. Our largest peak saw 40,000 Covid patients in hospital, which would require 800,000 infections in a period beforehand.

Suppose the vaccines are 95% effective, so the hospitalization rate is 0.25%. To reach another peak of 40,000 in hospital would require 16 million infections in a period beforehand.

Even if the Indian variant is super-transmissible, it's very hard to see that number of infections in a short enough time period to swamp the hospitals again. Our population isn't large enough.
    Did you somehow get the impression I was talking about surpassing the January peak in hospitalisations?

I don't know how.
    As an aside, the analysis from @LostPassword understates the benefits of vaccines, because transmission is also dramatically cut. Even at the level we're at now, it's almost impossible to see how five or six million people could end up with Covid simultaneously.
    I'm not a biologist but I can't see how a virus can mutate itself that much through natural replication to the point where it becomes a *totally* different beast able to evade all vaccines and antibodies, which are then unable to recognise it or bond to it in any form whatsoever.

It just doesn't follow Occam's Razor.
    Re mutations, I think people who are not in the field have little idea of how big a protein is, how many different parts will be recognised by the immune system, and small changing one residue is to the overall shape. My word of the week is epitope. Well worth looking up.
    Ok but it's not a superpower is it? It can't transmute into a higher being, grow wings, leap 30ft across the room, dive through your mask and bitch-slap your mum can it?

It's a protein. Just a protein. The simplest form of life. It relies on simple mutations by natural selection by sheer volume of infections. It's not smart. It's not clever. It's just a numbers game.

By contrast, and let's do a bit of species exceptionalism here: we are fucking clever. We've decoded the human genome. We understand DNA. We have AI. We have supercomputers. We have the very best scientists in the world working on it day and night, in the very best facilities, working on mRNA bioengineered designs of highly sophisticated vaccines.

I think we can beat a protein.
    'Numbers game'.

That is precisely what Darwinian evolution is.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Foxy said:

Successful in the ballot to be in the crowd for the final game of the season, at home vs Spurs.

Last time I got to a match was March last year. Hard to believe that I was amongst 32000 other people with no social distancing or masks singing away at the Villa as we thrashed them 4 nil. A week before lockdown.

It seems like a different world.

I must say that our owners are amazing. I got a package through the post yesterday with a bunch of free stuff to celebrate the FACup final. A lovely note too thanking us for our support. Enamel badge, rosette, facepaints and the inevitable clap banner. Top really appreciates the fans.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062
    Priti and Beckett, the Alpha and the Omega.

https://twitter.com/thetrashiesuk/status/1392932891055767552?s=21
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Thanks to Philip I’m now blasting out Common People on the HiFi (Mrs Anabob is out).

Smoke some fags and play some pool, pretend you never went to school...

I love that song but I hate the fact that on the radio they always cut out the best bit.

"You will never understand
    How it feels to live your life
    With no meaning or control
    And with nowhere left to go
    You are amazed that they exist
    And they burn so bright whilst you can only wonder why"
    'No meaning or control' sums up my feelings on life during the past year. My business upturned overnight. My entire way of life changed. After a dicey few weeks I managed to shake the OCD handwashing and just about start coping again.

I have tonight - for the first time in over a year - picked up an LRB and read it, relaxed, not thinking about how things might get worse. Because things can only get better from here on in...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Leon said:

LEON at 7:28 pm

Leon said:
    Prediction: SAGE will now advise the Govt that further unlockdowning is too risky. The govt will look at that exponential growth in Indian variant cases, and reluctantly agree

The pubs will stay shut. No holibobs for anyone until 2029

I pray I am wrong

Perhaps you could give the numbers of the infected by the Indian variant which is giving you such thrills and the number of vaccinations during the same period.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

Thanks to Philip I’m now blasting out Common People on the HiFi (Mrs Anabob is out).

Posterity is a weird thing.
    At the time, Pulp were considered niche next to Blur and certainly next to Oasis.

Yet “Common People” is referenced these days much more than “Park Life” or even “Wonderwall”.

Also, “Disco 2000” is actually the better song.
    That whole album is a work of art. Perhaps the best album to come out of the whole 90s.
    It wasn't even the best album of 1995.....Radiohead had an album. outnin 1995 ;-)
    Leftfield.

and Black Grape – ‘It’s Great When You’re Straight… Yeah!’
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Cookie said:

At the time, Pulp were considered niche next to Blur and certainly next to Oasis.

Yet “Common People” is referenced these days much more than “Park Life” or even “Wonderwall”.

Different Class is a superb album. It’s aged far better than the contemporaneous releases by Blur and Oasis.
    Yes, but I preferred His n Hers.

Pulp had spent upwards of a decade releasing albums which largely reflected the state of their optimism in any sort of success. A lot of bleakness and hopelessness. Then in the early 90s there was a slight sniff of recognition, and His n Hers reflected that - amongst the kitchen sinks there was a glimmer of sunshine, a ray of hope.
    Then Different Class came along; they had made it; success, tempered with disillusionment. Was success all it was cracked up to be?
    Then This is Hardcore answered the question: No, it wasn't.

So I prefer the hardly-dare-it optimism of His n Hers - the moment before everything goes right. And I could write an essay on David's Last Summer: one of the most interesting pop songs ever written: starts out all summery and happy for two and a half verses, before two sudden, slightly jarring, shiver-down-the-spine key changes leave us somewhere altogether more uncertain. Absolute genius.

Wonderful stuff.
    Do you have an opinion on “Modern Life is Rubbish”?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,177
    Mortimer said:

I love that song but I hate the fact that on the radio they always cut out the best bit.

'No meaning or control' sums up my feelings on life during the past year. My business upturned overnight. My entire way of life changed. After a dicey few weeks I managed to shake the OCD handwashing and just about start coping again.

I have tonight - for the first time in over a year - picked up an LRB and read it, relaxed, not thinking about how things might get worse. Because things can only get better from here on in...
    London review of books?
  • Options
    3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98

stodge said:

You may well be right (actually you are not as I know plenty of under 40s who are extremely nervous about everything opening up before they have had the chance to get jabbed) but you cannot draw any conclusions from your own very limited circle of acquaintances any more than I can from mine.

And as I said I think that, on balance, we should follow the planned road map and reopen fully by 21st June. But to say we will do it no matter what happens over the next few weeks is just plain dumb. And to their credit the Government are not doing that. But hand in hand with that we should not be forcing the unwillingly unvaccinated back into work or education if they do not feel confident about it.

Open up as planned but do not let anyone get forced back to work until they have been jabbed if they don't want to.

I think any exhortation from Boris or any other Government Minister about returning to offices is, in many cases, going to fall on deaf ears.

There are those (and I accept mainly but not exclusively among the younger parts of the population) who want to go back to offices and all the social interaction associated but that isn't where most older office workers are.

They don't miss the early starts and the commute - I know I don't. 1-2 days per week maximum in the office is the way forward and all manner of surveys confirm this. Many like working at home for many reasons and it's a way of life to which many have adjusted surprisingly easily.

Many companies now see no future in buildings full of banks of desks - the ergonomic revolution to collaborative working areas and spaces is gathering pace and won't be stopped by Johnson.

The Age of the Commuter is over - it's time for everyone to accept that and consider the ramifications.
    I hope you are right. It is long overdue if it finally is the case.
    Some decisions made in my workplace today.

We won't be renewing our lease, we have 12 months to run. The office is too big for our purposes now.

We will make the office available for staff to use from September. But after we have made some changes removing many desks and overhauling the space as a collaborative working space.

We've surveyed staff throughout the pandemic. Over 90% see themselves in the office 1 or 2 days a week maximum. We will facilitate that and still make space available either in an office type place or co-working space for those who want to sit at a desk 5 days a week.

The mantra will be "Locate for your day". Hybrid working is here to stay.

There are a few organisations who are intending to go back to life pre-pandemic. But in my experience they are the ones who demanded their employees returned during the height of the virus as it was "essential". They will increasingly look anachronistic in my view.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised the HO vans look very like ambulances, complete with emergency services flashes along the side. You actually have to read the text, though there are no beacons. Didn't know the HO vans were an emergency service in Scotland or anywhere.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

"Scientists do not believe the Indian variant is likely to blunt the effectiveness of vaccines but have concluded it could well be more transmissible than the Kent variant now dominant in Britain. This would mean a far higher peak of infection in the summer and, as more of those who are still vulnerable catch the virus, thousands more deaths and hospital admissions."

&

"Dominic Cummings, who unsuccessfully attempted to convince Johnson to impose a “circuit breaker” lockdown last September, today retweeted a message from the mathematician Timothy Gowers.

"Gowers said that if there was even a 20 per cent chance that the B.617.2 variant was far more transmissible, “the cost of another big wave is much higher than the cost of delaying the next stage of the road map. The precautionary principle is much stronger when exponential growth is involved.”
    Except effectively all the vulnerable have been vaccinated and so they're not at real risk anymore. Haven't for a long time. 🤦‍♂️

120% of nothing is nothing. 200% of nothing is nothing. 1000% of nothing is nothing.
    Can anybody still be so ignorant as still to think that vaccinated = "at no risk"?

I hope those figures are misleading. But on the face of it, that growth rate would wipe out the benefit from the vaccine in a month or so.

Am too dumb and ignorant to read though all the stats & stuff, not my bag dude.

But you being snarky and dismissive (akin to blase) does NOT persuade me you know what you're talking about.
    You really don't understand the point I just made? Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

You should shut up. Really.
    Does anyone else understand his point? Beside showing us all his ass that is?
    Well it started with misrepresenting another poster. He basically comes on here tells us we are all stupid and he’s better than the rest of us
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Mortimer said:

Now here’s a weird thing.

I stopped reading the LRB precisely in March 2020. And I also, have just picked it up again.

And I can’t explain why.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Foxy said:

Successful in the ballot to be in the crowd for the final game of the season, at home vs Spurs.

Last time I got to a match was March last year. Hard to believe that I was amongst 32000 other people with no social distancing or masks singing away at the Villa as we thrashed them 4 nil. A week before lockdown.

"Successful in the ballot" - But was that not also "a game of chance"?

Yes or no, congratulations and enjoy! Rejoice!! Sans guilt!!!
    Quite obviously, I deviate from my Church's advice on gambling. Hence my presence on this site!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Man Utd 1 - 3 Liverpool.

Enjoying this game. Hopefully its the last game without crowds.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

But you being snarky and dismissive (akin to blase) does NOT persuade me you know what you're talking about.
    You really don't understand the point I just made? Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

Well it started with misrepresenting another poster. He basically comes on here tells us we are all stupid and he’s better than the rest of us
    I don't recall him doing that before, did I miss it OR is this exceptional?

As Winston Churchill once said, every dog deserves at least one bite.

Though he (Winston not Chris) WAS an animal lover - was once photographed with a bird perched on his head!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Man Utd 1 - 3 Liverpool.

Enjoying this game. Hopefully its the last game without crowds.

A few more games this weekend and then hopefully that will be that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

"Successful in the ballot" - But was that not also "a game of chance"?

Yes or no, congratulations and enjoy! Rejoice!! Sans guilt!!!
    Quite obviously, I deviate from my Church's advice on gambling. Hence my presence on this site!
    Somehow I failed to put two & two together - which is why I do NOT gamble!

Or do epidemiology.
  • Options

Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

Though he (Winston not Chris) WAS an animal lover - was once photographed with a bird perched on his head!
    Like this cat in NSW?

https://twitter.com/LucyThack/status/1386918894888099840
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I stopped reading the LRB precisely in March 2020. And I also, have just picked it up again.

And I can’t explain why.
    Spooky. But I think I can.

Honestly couldn't cope with the beautifully crafted literary negativity of it, on top of the world going to actual shit all around. Now the world (or at least our part of it) is healing, I can cope with it again.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432
    1) Completely off thread, this is fun:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_England_by_historical_population

2) Any thoughts on Airdrie and Shotts? Surely there must be SOME interest? I think SNP, but not by loads - 2000 or so. Labour in with the faintest of chances if there's sufficient unionist tactical voting.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

That whole album is a work of art. Perhaps the best album to come out of the whole 90s.
    Exile on Cold Harbour Lane - Alabama 3
    Bring it On - Gomez

Exile on Cold Harbour Lane is a sound like no other.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Chris said:

Is anyone here agreeing with the point Chris is attempting to make, through his smokescreen of invective & vituperation? EDIT - "arrogance of Lucifer" for example.

That's a genuine question. If he's right, or most correct, then he's making a good, indeed important point. Even if he's not doing it quite poorly.

On the other hand . . .

I think this is a waste of time, to be honest. People will believe what they want to believe, and an Internet forum devoted to political betting is not going to produce anything other than a parody of scientific discussion.

I'm sorry, I don't know why I keep coming back here expecting better.
    You're getting better, you just need some humility so you can understand it.

Exponential growth can't keep going on forever. The notion that the vaccine effect can be wiped out in 4 weeks, it just isn't scientific.

That is the problem with doing numerical analysis based on percentages and rates, rather than in terms of real numbers.

Population 66.8 million
    Non-adults 14.2 million
    Adults 52.6 million

If we get to 90% of the adult population having 95% protection, that means 7.6 million adults and 14.2 million kids i.e. 21.8 million people in the UK do not have protection from the vaccine. A third of the unvaccinated currently have naturally acquired antibodies, so presumably immunity from severe disease.

Assuming that current vaccines are effective against new variants (I believe they will be), even once 90% of all adults are vaccinated, we have a pool of something over 14 million (mostly kids) in which the virus can play.

Put differently, that puts the population immunity level at 79%. That is herd immunity provided R0 is below 5 (Foxy's caveats about community level operation of herd immunity acknowledged)

The original Wuhan strain R was ~2.6; Kent was a 50% increase, to 3.9. If India is indeed a further 60% increase on the Kent strain, that would put its R at 6.24 (but only 4.2 if the increase is measured from the Wuhan strain).

You can see why it is of concern and why more data is needed. But you can also see that the ceiling of its potential impact is very much lower than it was in March last year.

And it also shows the importance of getting the vaccines cleared for kids.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Chris said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

Just to check, please: you mean in total population statistics, rather than the protection to a single individual?
    That's the point really. Vaccine efficacy reduces your risk by 90% or 95% or whatever. That's for a given level of infection in the population. If infection levels rise by a factor of 10 or 20 because of a new variant, you end up with the same level of risk that you started with. That's even if the vaccine is just as effective against the new variant.
    But we don't have an infinitely large population, so there's a limit to the number of people who can be infected to "undo" the vaccines effectiveness.

Let's suppose that Covid has a hospitalization rate of 5%. Our largest peak saw 40,000 Covid patients in hospital, which would require 800,000 infections in a period beforehand.

Suppose the vaccines are 95% effective, so the hospitalization rate is 0.25%. To reach another peak of 40,000 in hospital would require 16 million infections in a period beforehand.

Even if the Indian variant is super-transmissible, it's very hard to see that number of infections in a short enough time period to swamp the hospitals again. Our population isn't large enough.
    Did you somehow get the impression I was talking about surpassing the January peak in hospitalisations?

I don't know how.
    As an aside, the analysis from @LostPassword understates the benefits of vaccines, because transmission is also dramatically cut. Even at the level we're at now, it's almost impossible to see how five or six million people could end up with Covid simultaneously.
    Obviously the concern centres on whether the benefits of vaccines will remain the same for new variants.

There is still surprisingly little data on that. I'm sorry, again. I thought that might have been understood.
    Actually there is a lot of data on this, and none of the variants so far have escaped the vaccines, and likely most will be pretty effective. There has even been posts on this thread about this very subject.
    This is the kind of comment I find just incomprehensible.

In fact, such data as there are show that - for example - the South African variant evades the immunity produced by all the vaccines to at least some extent. Look at the Phase III trial data from South Africa.

Those data show that AstraZeneca demonstrated no statistically significnant protection at all against the South African variant.

The comments some people make here are completely divorced from fact and reality.

Hang on. That's not exactly what it said:

Firstly, there was protection against mild- to moderate-, it just wasn't very much (c. 10%).
    Secondly, we now know that AZ efficacy builds substantially over the twelve weeks between first and second dose, and as the trial was only over a relatively short period (June to November), this means there will not have been time for immunity to build in many of the participants,
    Thirdly, the trial involved people "received at least one dose of placebo or vaccine", which (given the short period the trial was over) meant that we're including a whole bunch of people who only got one dose.
    Fourthly, because of the small number of participants and the young average age of people in the study (30), there weren't actually any hospitalisation events.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

Mortimer said:

London review of books?
    I thought it was a typo for Rebecca Long Bailey
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

Like this cat in NSW?

Not quite. For one thing, the pic was black & white. And Churchill clearly was not moving his head.

But he did have a look quite similar to the kitty's.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_England_by_historical_population

2) Any thoughts on Airdrie and Shotts? Surely there must be SOME interest? I think SNP, but not by loads - 2000 or so. Labour in with the faintest of chances if there's sufficient unionist tactical voting.

I am slightly surprised too, I think everyone's overdosed on Scotland. But even if there is some TV we've been told ad nauseam on PB that it makes no difference if the SNP{ have 0 or 61 MPs, so one or two more or less is about as exciting as a wet Sunday in Hawick.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And I can’t explain why.

Honestly couldn't cope with the beautifully crafted literary negativity of it, on top of the world going to actual shit all around. Now the world (or at least our part of it) is healing, I can cope with it again.
    The LRB is very unpredictable. From insights you won't find anywhere else, to the most laborious arcana. Almost an academic journal equivalent of early 1980's Channel 4 or late 1980s BBC2, and it's its utter lack of commercialism that makes it so valuable.
  • Options

stodge said:

You may well be right (actually you are not as I know plenty of under 40s who are extremely nervous about everything opening up before they have had the chance to get jabbed) but you cannot draw any conclusions from your own very limited circle of acquaintances any more than I can from mine.

And as I said I think that, on balance, we should follow the planned road map and reopen fully by 21st June. But to say we will do it no matter what happens over the next few weeks is just plain dumb. And to their credit the Government are not doing that. But hand in hand with that we should not be forcing the unwillingly unvaccinated back into work or education if they do not feel confident about it.

Open up as planned but do not let anyone get forced back to work until they have been jabbed if they don't want to.

I think any exhortation from Boris or any other Government Minister about returning to offices is, in many cases, going to fall on deaf ears.

There are those (and I accept mainly but not exclusively among the younger parts of the population) who want to go back to offices and all the social interaction associated but that isn't where most older office workers are.

They don't miss the early starts and the commute - I know I don't. 1-2 days per week maximum in the office is the way forward and all manner of surveys confirm this. Many like working at home for many reasons and it's a way of life to which many have adjusted surprisingly easily.

Many companies now see no future in buildings full of banks of desks - the ergonomic revolution to collaborative working areas and spaces is gathering pace and won't be stopped by Johnson.

The Age of the Commuter is over - it's time for everyone to accept that and consider the ramifications.
    I hope you are right. It is long overdue if it finally is the case.
    Some decisions made in my workplace today.

We won't be renewing our lease, we have 12 months to run. The office is too big for our purposes now.

We will make the office available for staff to use from September. But after we have made some changes removing many desks and overhauling the space as a collaborative working space.

We've surveyed staff throughout the pandemic. Over 90% see themselves in the office 1 or 2 days a week maximum. We will facilitate that and still make space available either in an office type place or co-working space for those who want to sit at a desk 5 days a week.

The mantra will be "Locate for your day". Hybrid working is here to stay.

There are a few organisations who are intending to go back to life pre-pandemic. But in my experience they are the ones who demanded their employees returned during the height of the virus as it was "essential". They will increasingly look anachronistic in my view.
    Meanwhile, I am just about to renew our lease. Will soon have all my staff back from furlough. And hoping to find another member of staff to join us.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

Like this cat in NSW?

Not quite. For one thing, the pic was black & white. And Churchill clearly was not moving his head.

But he did have a look quite similar to the kitty's.
    While on the Tom and Jerry front, I noticed this too. I think it refers to the water filter for the supply from the roof of the farmhouse (from what I recall of a trip to Oz some years ago). Ewwww.

https://twitter.com/jcressw3/status/1391918623946514435

• Options
    Cookie said:

1) very interesting.

2) great name for a comedy duo OR a US website selling over-priced whatever, with free shipping!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

You're scaremongering Leon. Or is it Sean? I'm a little confused. People seem to call you by different names.

For every rabid lockdown scientist frothing at the mouth there's another (or probably ten) who remind us that the vaccines are working really well.

Even if, and it's a big if, there was an Indian surge it would not cause hospitalisations on anything like the scale you are suggesting with your mass hyperbole. Why? Because that's one of the major benefits of mass vaccination.

Calm down.
    Call me Leon, it's my name

The trouble is the stats don't lie. And we still have enough unvaxxed people in the country for a rampant new variant to cause MAJOR trouble.

There are, what, 30m unvaxxed Brits? 45m partly vaxxed? Add in a few million vulnerable-but-stupid vax refuseniks, and remember they will be concentrated in particular areas....

Hmm
    File next to:

Two million Brits are going to die.

I pray I am wrong.
    Proof that God listens to our prayers?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,111

Leon said:

Leon said:
    Prediction: SAGE will now advise the Govt that further unlockdowning is too risky. The govt will look at that exponential growth in Indian variant cases, and reluctantly agree

I pray I am wrong

Perhaps you could give the numbers of the infected by the Indian variant which is giving you such thrills and the number of vaccinations during the same period.
    Thrills?

Don't be a fucking dick

I HATE lockdown. I live alone. I HATE it. Believe me

I also love travel

But I can see numbers and I can see what they mean

• Options
    And there's a new thread too - just as I finish a post.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And I can’t explain why.

The LRB is very unpredictable. From insights you won't find anywhere else, to the most laborious arcana. Almost an academic journal equivalent of early 1980s Channel 4 or BBC2.
    That is a good comparison.

Honestly think it is the best writing available. I always used to love book reviews as a student. Best way to ease oneself into a new text I found.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

@Richard_Tyndall - I adore Pulp. One of the best concerts I've ever been to was Pulp at the Brixton Academy.

But Different Class was not the best album of the 1990s. It was - at best - third behind YouKnowWho's second and third albums.

Please don't make me ban you for breaking the rule.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

Cookie said:

Different Class is a superb album. It’s aged far better than the contemporaneous releases by Blur and Oasis.

Pulp had spent upwards of a decade releasing albums which largely reflected the state of their optimism in any sort of success. A lot of bleakness and hopelessness. Then in the early 90s there was a slight sniff of recognition, and His n Hers reflected that - amongst the kitchen sinks there was a glimmer of sunshine, a ray of hope.
    Then Different Class came along; they had made it; success, tempered with disillusionment. Was success all it was cracked up to be?

So I prefer the hardly-dare-it optimism of His n Hers - the moment before everything goes right. And I could write an essay on David's Last Summer: one of the most interesting pop songs ever written: starts out all summery and happy for two and a half verses, before two sudden, slightly jarring, shiver-down-the-spine key changes leave us somewhere altogether more uncertain. Absolute genius.

Wonderful stuff.
    Definitely a superior album to Parklife.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And I can’t explain why.

The LRB is very unpredictable. From insights you won't find anywhere else, to the most laborious arcana. Almost an academic journal equivalent of early 1980's Channel 4 or late 1980s BBC2, and it's its utter lack of commercialism that makes it so valuable.
    It’s also...not woke.
    I mean it is v liberal left of course, and totally up to date on matters intersectional, but editorially it does not interfere with a policy of choosing good writing.

Having said that, they were criticised for mostly publishing old white men by some ranting academics, and they cravenly agreed to take diversity training.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

I don't know how.
    Obviously the concern centres on whether the benefits of vaccines will remain the same for new variants.

There is still surprisingly little data on that. I'm sorry, again. I thought that might have been understood.
    Actually there is a lot of data on this, and none of the variants so far have escaped the vaccines, and likely most will be pretty effective. There has even been posts on this thread about this very subject.

In fact, such data as there are show that - for example - the South African variant evades the immunity produced by all the vaccines to at least some extent. Look at the Phase III trial data from South Africa.

Those data show that AstraZeneca demonstrated no statistically significnant protection at all against the South African variant.

The comments some people make here are completely divorced from fact and reality.

Hang on. That's not exactly what it said:

Firstly, there was protection against mild- to moderate-, it just wasn't very much (c. 10%).
    Secondly, we now know that AZ efficacy builds substantially over the twelve weeks between first and second dose, and as the trial was only over a relatively short period (June to November), this means there will not have been time for immunity to build in many of the participants,
    Thirdly, the trial involved people "received at least one dose of placebo or vaccine", which (given the short period the trial was over) meant that we're including a whole bunch of people who only got one dose.
    Fourthly, because of the small number of participants and the young average age of people in the study (30), there weren't actually any hospitalisation events.

Indeed, that whole study was known to be problematic from the start.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

I don't know how.

Which data? The very early stuff from SA? That is long in the past. Check up thread. I think you are also falling the trap that antibodies = the entire immune system. It doesn’t. It’s way more complex. Plus having a reduced effect does not mean no effect.
    Phase III studies.

I'll repeat it a few times so you don't miss it again.

Phase III studies. Phase III studies. Phase III studies.
    Why not post a link? If you are referring to the one I think you are referring to then that will tell me all I need to know
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432

Cookie said:

Wonderful stuff.
    Of course I do!
    MLIR is to Parklife as HnH is to Different Class. It doesn't contain quite the same shouty big singalong hits. But it's a more interesting album, and actually slightly more uplifting. For tomorrow is massive sigh of exasperation and disappointment, but is curiously satisfying to listen to, and recognisable: the hangover after the night that actually wasn't good enough to justify it.

Parklife is good too, of course. No denying that. But quite a lot of surprisingly depressing tracks which get forgotten among the cheery singalong singles. (Park life, the single, might be superficially throwaway, but is actually a work of genius, and who else at the time would have had the sheer nerve to write a song so superficially banal and the confidence to present it as a manifesto? Indeed, who would have thought to use Phil Daniels at all? I once saw Blur live on an occasion when they'd actually managed to bring Phil Daniels along. Absolutely joyous. Having brought him on for Park Life, they then felt they had to make use of him and had him sing/speak another, slightly darker song which I thought was absolutely fantastic but whose title I didn't catch and which I have never found since. Later I got off with a tiny and surprisingly enthusiastic girl from Reading, then lost the friend who I was staying with and ended up trying gamely to sleep on the street. All worked out ok in the end though. It was summer, though, it was fine.)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wasn’t that D:REAM not Pulp?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

I don't know how.
    I'm not a biologist but I can't see how a virus can mutate itself that much through natural replication to the point where it becomes a *totally* different beast able to evade all vaccines and antibodies, which are then unable to recognise it or bond to it in any form whatsoever.

It just doesn't follow Occam's Razor.
    Re mutations, I think people who are not in the field have little idea of how big a protein is, how many different parts will be recognised by the immune system, and small changing one residue is to the overall shape. My word of the week is epitope. Well worth looking up.
    Ok but it's not a superpower is it? It can't transmute into a higher being, grow wings, leap 30ft across the room, dive through your mask and bitch-slap your mum can it?

It's a protein. Just a protein. The simplest form of life. It relies on simple mutations by natural selection by sheer volume of infections. It's not smart. It's not clever. It's just a numbers game.

By contrast, and let's do a bit of species exceptionalism here: we are fucking clever. We've decoded the human genome. We understand DNA. We have AI. We have supercomputers. We have the very best scientists in the world working on it day and night, in the very best facilities, working on mRNA bioengineered designs of highly sophisticated vaccines.

I think we can beat a protein.
    'Numbers game'.

That is precisely what Darwinian evolution is.
    Err, yeah. I know.
  • Options

Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ

&

It’s his standard MO the last few times I’ve seen him post
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,574
    IanB2 said:

I was selected for the random home antibody testing, and have just completed my test having had the AZN two months back. No short term antibodies but the long term antibody line shows positive, if rather faint. I guess this means the vaccine worked!

Just did the same thing and showed no antibody at all, FWIW.
    First AZN dose two months ago, too.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

OT

It might just be the influence of Cyclefree who I think brings out the best in all of us.

But both on the topic of the thread header and the discussions this evening on vaccinations and opening up, this has been a cracking thread all round with really enjoyable contributions from loads of people across the spectrum.

Just wanted to say thanks.

What a very nice thing to say. Thank you.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Cookie said:

That's very good copy. Moved to play some.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I pray I am wrong

Thrills?

Don't be a fucking dick

I HATE lockdown. I live alone. I HATE it. Believe me

I also love travel

But I can see numbers and I can see what they mean

But you really love doing the doom stuff.

As someone once said "it gives me the horn".

And if you can see the numbers then give them.

How many infected with Indian variant and how many vaccinations during that period.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,506
    edited May 2021
    I'd have thought the bigger issue for Howard Beckett this morning is the £1.3m that he as Assistant Gen Sec of Unite and Len McCluskey have just spaffed away on legal fees losing the libel action with Anna Turley that they could have settled ages ago.

That and Unite misusing private information about a member.

They could have got off with an apology.

https://news.sky.com/story/unite-leadership-candidate-howard-beckett-suspended-from-labour-after-saying-priti-patel-should-be-deported-12305814
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118
    "Not United Kingdom voters who ignored Brexit’s consequences for its peace settlement."

Please don't tar me with that brush. This is one of the reasons I voted Remain and will never support Brexit.
This discussion has been closed.