Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Great Unknown: A Betting History Of The Great British By-Election

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    AlistairM said:

New Statesman article arguing that if the Tories win Hartlepool then it is a Tory hold rather than a Labour loss:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2021/04/what-would-be-good-result-labour-hartlepool-election

This rather ignores that this seat (or its predecessor) last returned a Tory in 1959. The Red Wall seems to be continuing to crumble.

Yet, what about elsewhere in the country? In my rather leafy Bucks village I have yet to see a single Tory banner. A few Labour but many Green signs. Locally the Greens have done quite well before and I would expect that to continue. Locally they don't have to worry about some of their more bonkers national policies. As a traditional Tory I am tempted to give them my vote in the locals which I would never do in a general election.

I don't think Stephen Bush is arguing what you think he is arguing at all.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,546
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

They reassured me: ‘of course I vote Tory, I just don’t tell anyone’

And then everyone on the bus applauded.
    Lol. If you don’t believe me then you literally don’t know a single wealthy Londoner, and you’ve never been to the nicer bits of London. Given what else you divulge, I doubt this
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

West Midlands Mayoral Voting Intention:

Street (CON): 54% (+12)
    Byrne (LAB): 37% (-4)
    Caudwell (GRN): 4% (-1)
    Durnell (RFM): 3% (+3)
    Wilkinson (LDM): 3% (-3)

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1389490199168749570?s=20

The Tories could probably do with Street in the Commons after this. He has a lot to offer.
    Does make me wonder where mayoralties rank, prestige wise.

Are they stepping stones to the Commons where theyd go from high profile locally to at the whim of the party leader? Are they are escape from Westminster for the disaffected and those whose career is going nowhere? Are they a means to develop high quality candidates too individual for the backbenches? Or do they actually matter?
    I wonder if they go back to Commons they'll suffer from Archie Norman syndrome.

From Chief Executive of Asda to backbench (opposition) MP was too much of a drop for him.

No wonder he quit as an MP after two terms in Parliament.
    Archie Norman was my MP when I was in the local CF in Tunbridge Wells, he was an OK local MP but really going from being a FTSE 100 CEO to backbench MP was not really in his gameplan, he entered politics to be in the Cabinet at least.

He was also a big supporter of Michael Portillo in 2001 and when IDS beat Portillo for the Tory leadership he lost his remaining enthusiasm for politics
    What is CF and when were you in Tunbridge Wells? I lived in Crowborough in the late 80s early 90s so obviously knew TW well.
    Conservative Future - which is of course, now, firmly a thing of the past :wink:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Future#Controversy_and_closure
  • Options
    HarryFreemanHarryFreeman Posts: 210

Dura_Ace said:

If you, but more importantly Labour, don't get this then there is no way they are returning to power anytime soon.

This is lazy analysis. Just because there's been some big political shifts in one area doesn't mean they cant be some in another.

If the Tories win Hartlepool by the amount suggested and IF (big if) the national polling is actually in the region of a 2% lead, rather than 10%, that suggests some big swings to Labour elsewhere...
    Cheers for calling me lazy. Muppet.

Read this:

https://unherd.com/2021/05/how-the-left-lost-hartlepool/
    Can you stop linking to far right nonsense.
    Tanya Gold is a freelance journalist who also writes for the Guardian.
    "Far Right" is high language for "stuff the left don't want to hear".

This quote from the Hartlepool voter stuck out for me.

"His conclusion is this: “Labour now is rich people telling poor people that other rich people are their problem.”"
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Really enjoyable article, thanks.

Hartlepool - Labour drifting like a barge. It'll be a real surprise if they hold on. Think I've called this one right from the get-go (sadly).

#newpunditry-newpolitics.

These comments are interesting

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1389497195322388480?s=19
    If you think ElectionMapsUk is a neutral arbiter then I have a bridge for sale.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

https://strongmessagehere.substack.com/p/the-blue-wall

This is interesting reading - but Labour only wins at best 26 seats, reducing the Tory majority a bit but nowhere near to power.

So their route to power seems to be the Biden approach.

Yes. And uncomfortably for the Labour Right and Left, that has to mean co-operation across the board, as Biden has engaged with both Sanders and the centrists, That is also the platform Starmer was elected on.
    If it were me, I would be seriously considering an unofficial pact with the Lib Dems.

Stand down/put in paper candidates for Labour in Guildford, Winchester. Lib Dems stand down in much of London.

Bet it doesn't happen.
    Labour was under 5% in Winchester in 2019, its already a Labour paper candidate.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503

Dura_Ace said:

If you, but more importantly Labour, don't get this then there is no way they are returning to power anytime soon.

This is lazy analysis. Just because there's been some big political shifts in one area doesn't mean they cant be some in another.

If the Tories win Hartlepool by the amount suggested and IF (big if) the national polling is actually in the region of a 2% lead, rather than 10%, that suggests some big swings to Labour elsewhere...

Read this:

"His conclusion is this: “Labour now is rich people telling poor people that other rich people are their problem.”"
    Whereas the Conservatives are very rich people telling poor people that comfortably off people are their problem.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,586
    edited May 2021
    I don't know if anybody else heard the Starmer interview on R4 Today this morning, but it was quite interesting. He wasn't very good, actually (see, I am objective). But he did take the opportunity to set out briefly the 5 current top priorities for Labour at the next GE, whenever that is.

His 5 priorities had echoes of Blair's 1997 pledge card. Interestingly, the fifth priority was about bringing an end to the divisions caused by the 'culture war' (although he didn't use that expression, of course). Anyway, signs of an emerging Labour policy platform to fill the current policy vacuum.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,731
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

That unherd piece by Tanya Gold is absolutely brilliant. It says what I was stating only much better.

I urge everyone, everyone, on here who thinks Brexit is done and dusted or who thinks the 2019 result was an aberration or who thinks Starmer is the answer or who doesn't believe that the Red Wall shift was for real or who ever bets on British politics to read this. Adjust your sights accordingly.

Unherd is generally excellent. Tanya Gold is a brilliant writer; did the Guardian lose her?!
    No idea how much the G pay to real writers, as opposed to teeny-bopping opinionators, but Unherd pay reasonably well.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Read this:

Whereas the Conservatives are very rich people telling poor people that comfortably off people are their problem.
    That's deep in an Egyptian river.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,546

Dura_Ace said:

Read this:

To be fair that voter summarises Marxism in one sentence, perfectly. It may even be true.

Trouble is, it looks really bad if you are also engaging in a culture war with said poor people

‘Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains, you disgusting, smelly racists’

That is basically the Labour message, now. Indeed it is the message of the Left across the West, which speaks of many problems ahead
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,349
    DavidL said:

I must confess my support for the Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative but not banging on about Europe party is wavering this morning. If I was confident it still existed I might even be thinking about defecting from it. The Letterbox Party is just so much more focused on real problems.

Bloody right we are. We also have more related policies - transportation to the colonies for anyone who has a gate secured with a rusty bolt thats a bugger to shift without scratching yourself only to have a letterbox that is jammed up and you can't push anything through.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited May 2021
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

The Tories could probably do with Street in the Commons after this. He has a lot to offer.

Are they stepping stones to the Commons where theyd go from high profile locally to at the whim of the party leader? Are they are escape from Westminster for the disaffected and those whose career is going nowhere? Are they a means to develop high quality candidates too individual for the backbenches? Or do they actually matter?

From Chief Executive of Asda to backbench (opposition) MP was too much of a drop for him.

Archie Norman was my MP when I was in the local CF in Tunbridge Wells, he was an OK local MP but really going from being a FTSE 100 CEO to backbench MP was not really in his gameplan, he entered politics to be in the Cabinet at least.

He was also a big supporter of Michael Portillo in 2001 and when IDS beat Portillo for the Tory leadership he lost his remaining enthusiasm for politics
    What is CF and when were you in Tunbridge Wells? I lived in Crowborough in the late 80s early 90s so obviously knew TW well.
    Conservative Future, 1981-2000 (and intermittently after until about 2010)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

Just seen the Hartlepool poll - bloody hell if accurate that is grim for Labour and Starmer.

What’s interesting is what this sort of polling means for the medium to long term for the state of the parties. I know I’ve said Labour can’t complacently rely on events leading to a swing back. BUT at some point there will be a non Tory government. If the old northern strongholds become the new Tory safe seats, what are the new Labour targets that form their new base in a future majority government?
    In lots of the Home Counties the Tories are weakening substantially, Labour's issue is that it's usually the LDs in the best place to capitalise.
    This is the second issue for the left-of-centre, as well as Labour remaining stubbornly more left-right factional than the US Democrats. Unless they learn to co-operate with the Lib Dems and Greens, as the Tories did with the Brexit Party, and get over their factional hatred of them, they may never get back into power.
    Did the Tories really cooperate with The Brexit Party? What did the Tories give them, electorally? It seems to me the Tories ate The Brexit Party in terms of policy and voters, and while Labour would be very happy for all the LD/Green voters to abandon those parties they aren't willing (not entirely unreasonably) to adopt their central policies to do so. Besides, Labour has adopted a lot of Green policies and it hasn't helped.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

I don't know if anybody else heard the Starmer interview on R4 Today this morning, but it was quite interesting. He wasn't very good, actually (see, I am objective). But he did take the opportunity to set out briefly the 5 current top priorities for Labour at the next GE, whenever that is.

His 5 priorities had echoes of Blair's 1997 pledge card. Interestingly, the fifth priority was about bringing an end to the divisions caused by the 'culture war' (although he didn't use that expression, of course). Anyway, signs of an emerging Labour policy platform to fill the current policy vacuum.

I've never understood why every party, every election, doesn't just have 5 policies and basically refuse to answer questions/campaign on anything else. Seems the obvious strategy. I imagine there is an obvious flaw to this plan, but it isn't obvious to me. Still have a full manifesto, but 5 pledges on the front page and talk about nothing else for the whole campaign.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

Just seen the Hartlepool poll - bloody hell if accurate that is grim for Labour and Starmer.

What’s interesting is what this sort of polling means for the medium to long term for the state of the parties. I know I’ve said Labour can’t complacently rely on events leading to a swing back. BUT at some point there will be a non Tory government. If the old northern strongholds become the new Tory safe seats, what are the new Labour targets that form their new base in a future majority government?
    In lots of the Home Counties the Tories are weakening substantially, Labour's issue is that it's usually the LDs in the best place to capitalise.
    This is the second issue for the left-of-centre, as well as Labour remaining stubbornly more left-right factional than the US Democrats. Unless they learn to co-operate with the Lib Dems and Greens, as the Tories did with the Brexit Party, and get over their factional hatred of them, they may never get back into power.
    Did the Tories really cooperate with The Brexit Party? What did the Tories give them, electorally? It seems to me the Tories ate The Brexit Party in terms of policy and voters, and while Labour would be very happy for all the LD/Green voters to abandon those parties they aren't willing (not entirely unreasonably) to adopt their central policies to do so. Besides, Labour has adopted a lot of Green policies and it hasn't helped.
    The Tories and Brexit Party formed official and unofficial pacts in various constituencies, IIRC.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Lol. If you don’t believe me then you literally don’t know a single wealthy Londoner, and you’ve never been to the nicer bits of London. Given what else you divulge, I doubt this
    I wouldn't be so sure. Or does Greenwich RN College not count as London?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

There was a need for a Brexit party when Mrs May was PM.

There wasn't when she got kicked out for Boris.

There may be a need in the future if the Hancock wing of the Con party continues to flex its water wings.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

I was going to say: Would you go from popular Mayor of a City Region with modest but direct powers to 1 of 650 MPs where you were expected to follow the party whip and go on the radio every other weekend to defend the indefensible? I wouldn't.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    A few quick comments on that Hartlepool poll. You may recall that last time the past vote was very odd - despite Brexit party getting 25% in 2019, Survation could barely find any former BP voters.

That is NOT the case this time - the sample looks fine on that front.

(I'm guessing that means Damian did what he suggested he might, and prompted on the recall Q)

Secondly, any phone poll like this you *still* get comments along the lines of "well, if you only ring landlines!"

No phone polls only ring landlines. It rang mobiles too.

The poll may be wrong, but it certainly won't be wrong for either of those reasons.

https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1389512587851751426
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Even the Modeller of Doom admits this is nearly over.

Dan Bloom
    @danbloom1
    NEW: Prof Neil Ferguson says we now "don’t see any prospect of the NHS being overwhelmed, with the one caveat around variants", in a third wave this summer/autumn

In which case there is no justification for any further restrictions.

Charles said:

This is pure Trumpian politics from the Tory party.

https://twitter.com/Jamesdbaker1/status/1389312069124591616

Not at all.

The argument “elect an MP from the governing party because they can lobby the minister more effectively” is as old as time
    But that's not the argument being made, he's saying ministers won't go the extra mile for non Tory councils.
    It may also be illegal - if Ministers ignore the criteria determining how decisions should be made (see, for instance, Jenrick's decisions on the New Towns funds). If the criteria are A, B and C but the government ignores these and just gives the money based in whether they voted Tory or not. There is a fine line between being able to lobby effectively and potential illegality. Not that the latter seems to bother the Tories these days.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited May 2021

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

The Tories and Brexit Party formed official and unofficial pacts in various constituencies, IIRC.
    You recall wrong then.

The Tories ruled out a pact and just absorbed BXP voters to the point even BXP candidates were choosing to stand down and endorse the Tories. At which point their leader faced facts and chose to stand down in most of the nation rather than be stood down, so he could act like he had influence.

If Labour wishes to start appealling to Liberal Democrat voters perhaps they should start with asking those voters why they support the Liberal Democrats and not Labour in the first place?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

Dura_Ace said:

Read this:

You're wrong - the people who have been switching to the Conservatives aren't the poor but the comfortably off whose families have traditionally voted Labour.

The Conservative party is people in the top 10% telling people in the middle 80% that people in the bottom 10% and top 10% are the problem.

The Labour party is people in the top 10% telling other people in the top 10% how horrible life is for the bottom 10% and either ignoring or abusing the middle 80%.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

kinabalu said:

Hartlepool - Labour drifting like a barge. It'll be a real surprise if they hold on. Think I've called this one right from the get-go (sadly).

Election Maps is some left leaning teenager who tried to steal Britain Elects' thunder and plays for likes and retweets. Britain Elects is the original trustworthy twitter polling source, and even though its partnered with the New Statesman it remains neutral.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397

DavidL said:

I must confess my support for the Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative but not banging on about Europe party is wavering this morning. If I was confident it still existed I might even be thinking about defecting from it. The Letterbox Party is just so much more focused on real problems.

Bloody right we are. We also have more related policies - transportation to the colonies for anyone who has a gate secured with a rusty bolt thats a bugger to shift without scratching yourself only to have a letterbox that is jammed up and you can't push anything through.
    If you listen to the other parties wittering on about the pandemic, depression, job losses, independence and Brexit you realise that they just have no insight to the true needs of the British people. What they really need is safely delivered political leaflets. They are just gagging for them. How would they know what to think otherwise?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,463
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I agree. What has made the Tories so successful over the last decade is the increased efficiency of their vote compared to the days when they got within 3% of Blair and he got a very comfortable majority. This has happened so far because the very considerable ebbing of their strength in the south of England has merely reduced their majorities whilst they have suddenly become much more competitive in the midlands, the east and now the north.

But as Labour is finding in reverse there is a tipping point in these things. The seats Labour took for granted whilst it went fishing in the suburbs and university towns of the south have bitten back and it is all too possible that southern seats which were much more remainer, much more liberal and much more dominated by professional classes will in turn get fed up being taken for granted.

Overall this is a good thing. It was not healthy that the Tories were content to get a majority with only the odd rural seat north of Birmingham and the inability of Labour to relate to our most economically successful areas outside of the actual cities meant that they had little to say in that area. A situation where both our major parties have a fair degree of representation from most of our country improves the chances of the government being aware of the needs of all of the country.
    Most of the problems there arise from the voting system, which directs all the political attention to those areas considered marginal, and neglects the safer areas for any party.
    Whilst that is undoubtedly true it seems to me that Labour is going through an identity crises where they will become more potent in seats that are more like them, that is middle class, professional, well educated, dominated by the public sector and frankly rather more interested in the privileges of such people than those who have very little.

Those with little have caught on. They may come to realise that Boris doesn't really give a toss about them either but at least he pretends to listen and he is amusing rather than patronising.
    Interestingly you could make the same point about the unions, which were created to defend and advance the interests of the then lowest in society, but now represent a reducing swathe of the relatively secure middle, with those most vulnerable workers - the younger, gig, zero hour folks - passing them by.

Even in a unionised industry, like the one I used to work in, unions tend to look out for the interests of the older, established, mostly male jobs and be less interested in the lower paid and part-time workforce (at least they did twenty years ago).
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,025
    edited May 2021
    The big problem for Labour is the Red Wall voters have always been more socially conservative and nationalistic and it’s Tory austerity policies which stopped them moving across . The Tories have a very good vaccine programme combined with lots of economic help by Sunak which for Labour is a mountain to climb.

Unless the Tories go back to austerity post covid then it’s hard to see how Labour can rebuild the Red Wall which is currently crumbling .

Aswell as this Starmer is not really the right leader for those seats , I actually like Starmer but it’s easy for the Tories to label him as an out of touch metropolitan elite even though his upbringing is a lot more “real world “ compared to Johnson .

My interest on Thursday is really what happens in Scotland which is on a knife edge . Hartlepool is a lost cause and the council elections won’t have the political impact that a SNP majority will deliver .

• Options
    edited May 2021

Dura_Ace said:

Read this:

You're wrong - the people who have been switching to the Conservatives aren't the poor but the comfortably off whose families have traditionally voted Labour.

The Conservative party is people in the top 10% telling people in the middle 80% that people in the bottom 10% and top 10% are the problem.

The Labour party is people in the top 10% telling other people in the top 10% how horrible life is for the bottom 10% and either ignoring or abusing the middle 80%.
    You're needing a quick comparative look at Tory and Labour funding, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,677

DavidL said:

I just need some clarification on who the leader of the new party is? Having suggested it I assume I am. If challenged and I lose, just to warn you, I might set up a rival 'Party of the Letterboxes'.
  • Options
    Brom said:

kinabalu said:

Election Maps is some left leaning teenager who tried to steal Britain Elects' thunder and plays for likes and retweets. Britain Elects is the original trustworthy twitter polling source, and even though its partnered with the New Statesman it remains neutral.
    In fairness, the comments in that tweet aren't really partisan. He's just pointing out that the local polls are completely at odds with the recent national polls and this needs explaining. And he's right.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

gealbhan said:

First!

Just imagine a young Mike Smithson, clutching his coppers (the coins, not the bill) as he steps up to the window, peering upward and piping, "Please sir, may I put a half crown on Sir Alec"? (Or whatever he - the laird, not Mike - was calling himself at that moment.)

The hardened bookie snorts in derision, "It'll be yer funeral, lad. Sure you don't want to invest in a half-pound of Turkish Delight instead?"

"No, Sir!"

And the rest, as they say, is history . . .

Alas my first political bet on the 1963 CON leadership was a foretaste of what was to come - a loser
    So how did the rank outsider with the carry on voice beat Rab Butler? Some sort of backlash against those on front bench?

Off the top of the head, it was a smoke filled room election, not democracy?
    Magic circle - SuperMac was in hospital so I assume they didn’t smoke there…
    You'd almost certainly be wrong to do so.
    https://www.nursingoutlook.org/article/S0029-6554(12)00143-1/fulltext
    One of the categories identified is the “naughty nurse”…
    I’m seen some movies about her! ;)
    Documentaries. For research purposes only. Ahem.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Hartlepool 2015
    Iain Wright Lab 14,076 35.6 -6.9
    Philip Broughton UKIP11,052 28.0 21.0
    Richard Royal Con 8,256 20.9 -7.2

Hartlepool 2017
    Mike Hill Lab 21,969 52.5 16.9
    Carl Jackson Con14,319 34.2 13.3
    P Broughton UKIP4,801 11.5 -16.5

Hartlepool 2019
    Mike Hill Lab 15,464 37.7 -14.8
    S Houghton Con 11,869 28.9 -5.3
    Richard Tice BXP 10,603 25.8 25.8

Hartlepool 2021 CON GAIN first time not Labour since 1959

SKS fans please explain how SKS has managed this
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

The Tories ruled out a pact and just absorbed BXP voters to the point even BXP candidates were choosing to stand down and endorse the Tories. At which point their leader faced facts and chose to stand down in most of the nation rather than be stood down, so he could act like he had influence.

If Labour wishes to start appealling to Liberal Democrat voters perhaps they should start with asking those voters why they support the Liberal Democrats and not Labour in the first place?
    It was a pact, sanctioned from the top by Farage and Johnson, and whichever way it might be chatacterised. Until it was confirmed, the BXP was the fastest-growing political force, and would have damaged the Tories at the election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50377396

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    As well as the resolution of the threat to violently attack me, made by a Scottish Nationalist, I have made a complaint against two former SNP MSPs under the Representation of the People Act 1983 under the section dealing with the making of knowingly false statements.
    https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1389475684662366208
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Relevant to those of us who go electioneering, I will join ANY party who pledge to make letter boxes at the bottom of a front door illegal. Especially ones where they are behind two gates.

How about ones with a strong spring that closes on your fingers… just after the yappy nippy dog gets there
    Or the ones with so much baffling behind them that your leaflet ends up a screwed up rag before the said yappy dog even gets a hold of it.
    I think we should start 'The Letterbox Party'.

To add to the list:

a) Silent dogs (many and 1 hospital trip as a consequence)

b) Dogs that crash into the door at 100mph (many)

c) Those people who have considerately put a box at the front so you don't have to walk down the 100 metre drive but is now hidden in a hedge so you do walk down a 100 metre drive and waste 10 minutes looking for a letterbox that doesn't exist (several)

d) People who are ungrateful when you return their door keys which are still in the lock.

e) People who don't close their door properly so you land in their hall while putting the leaflet through the door (once)
    e) has embarassed me more than once.

A worse variation on c) is when you have climbed up steps to said house, had a good look around for any way to insert the leaflet into the house and decided to leave it under a stone or stuck in the door jamb, then when you get back to the street you notice the hidden box and have to go back and retrieve the leaflet so they don’t conclude you’re an unobservant idiot.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

Jezza was doing well before he got captured by the remainiacs xD
  • Options

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

It was a pact, sanctioned from the top by Farage and Johnson, and whichever way it's described. Until it was confirmed, the BXP was the fastest-growing political force , and would have damaged the Tories at the election.

Of course it was sanctioned by Johnson, it involved a rival party standing down in over 300 seats! But I don't think it is a pact or co-operation for the simple reason that the Tories didn't give anything up to get it. A deal, pact, whatever, involves something being given by both sides in return for what the other side is giving. But the Tories didn't give anything, Farage just accepted he had to stand down or risk splitting the vote.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,731

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

He'd be a good PM
    There is perhaps something there in the broader experience profile of Regional or City Mayors?
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,534

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

I was once speaking to a cllr who had a major portfolio in a metropolitan council. I asked if he had any ambition to get to Westminster. He said no, why would I give up all this responsibility, power and status to be a backbencher?
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I agree. What has made the Tories so successful over the last decade is the increased efficiency of their vote compared to the days when they got within 3% of Blair and he got a very comfortable majority. This has happened so far because the very considerable ebbing of their strength in the south of England has merely reduced their majorities whilst they have suddenly become much more competitive in the midlands, the east and now the north.

But as Labour is finding in reverse there is a tipping point in these things. The seats Labour took for granted whilst it went fishing in the suburbs and university towns of the south have bitten back and it is all too possible that southern seats which were much more remainer, much more liberal and much more dominated by professional classes will in turn get fed up being taken for granted.

Overall this is a good thing. It was not healthy that the Tories were content to get a majority with only the odd rural seat north of Birmingham and the inability of Labour to relate to our most economically successful areas outside of the actual cities meant that they had little to say in that area. A situation where both our major parties have a fair degree of representation from most of our country improves the chances of the government being aware of the needs of all of the country.
    Most of the problems there arise from the voting system, which directs all the political attention to those areas considered marginal, and neglects the safer areas for any party.
    Whilst that is undoubtedly true it seems to me that Labour is going through an identity crises where they will become more potent in seats that are more like them, that is middle class, professional, well educated, dominated by the public sector and frankly rather more interested in the privileges of such people than those who have very little.

Those with little have caught on. They may come to realise that Boris doesn't really give a toss about them either but at least he pretends to listen and he is amusing rather than patronising.
    "pretends to listen"? He delivered them their verdict on Brexit. Labour were set against doing so.
    Yes, pretends to listen. Do the people of Hartlepool want Brexit because it is Brexit, or because what they hope it will bring them? Pools is a classic post industrial left behind backwater. People want back the jobs and prosperity and pride and hope that was taken from them. Brexit was the silver bullet to cure these ills which is why they were so enthusiastic for it.

Where the Tories will struggle is that they can't deliver what was promised. I have no doubt that Hartlepool will be thrown a few scraps once it goes Tory but it won't change the fundamental problems with the town and the region. One prime example - local Tories very excited by the prospect of a free port and how it will restore industry. Except that a free port makes it easier to IMPORT, it will do nothing but harm for local industry. But as nothing but harm has been on the menu for 40 years people are desperate and will try anything.

When salvation fails to arrive? Thats when the Tories are screwed. Not to Labour's benefit you understand, we're going to see a rise of the hard right. Think UKIP/Brexit with paramilitary activists...
    I guess that they aren’t going to work in the new GE factory then?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

It was a pact, sanctioned from the top by Farage and Johnson, and whichever way it's described. Until it was confirmed, the BXP was the fastest-growing political force , and would have damaged the Tories at the election.

Of course it was sanctioned by Johnson, it involved a rival party standing down in over 300 seats! But I don't think it is a pact or co-operation for the simple reason that the Tories didn't give anything up to get it. A deal, pact, whatever, involves something being given by both sides in return for what the other side is giving. But the Tories didn't give anything, Farage just accepted he had to stand down or risk splitting the vote.
    The Tories gave Hard Brexit, with as few qualifications as possible, to the BXP. Likewise, Labour need to give PR to the Lib Dems and Greens, if they want to get anywhere in the future.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

Corbyn’s toxic legacy.

Wait until you hear about all those other red wall seats that were lost under Corbyn’s leadership.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Relevant to those of us who go electioneering, I will join ANY party who pledge to make letter boxes at the bottom of a front door illegal. Especially ones where they are behind two gates.

How about ones with a strong spring that closes on your fingers… just after the yappy nippy dog gets there
    Or the ones with so much baffling behind them that your leaflet ends up a screwed up rag before the said yappy dog even gets a hold of it.
    I always carry a wooden kitchen spatula to push leaflets through difficult letterboxes.

This is the most useful tip you'll ever get from me.
    I suppose bringing your own wooden spoon saves time for a LibDem…
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    edited May 2021

Even the Modeller of Doom admits this is nearly over.

Dan Bloom
    @danbloom1
    NEW: Prof Neil Ferguson says we now "don’t see any prospect of the NHS being overwhelmed, with the one caveat around variants", in a third wave this summer/autumn

I know that's partly toungue in cheek, but what was the 'doom' scenario? 500k deaths without restrictions? And we're at 130k (within 28 days of test) to 150k (on death certificate) with all the mitigations including multiple full lockdowns?

I don't find 500k dead without action implausible. Particularly with higher deaths/infections if healthcare systems had been overwhelmed.

However, this is very good news. "Don't see any prospect" means even the worst case scenarios, the ones people were getting upset about a few weeks ago wih the most pessimistic assumptions, are now coming out within what we can cope with. The most likely estimates will be for nothing much happening at all.
  • Options

Sir KS was rather waffly and failed to get any soundbites accross. The 5 top priorities were explained like a lawyer in conference setting out their reasoning. I think quite a lot of consideration has gone into those priorities, probably by Anneliese Dobbs, but the messaging around them is incomplete and need to be focus grouped. What do they actually mean in practice to the Labout marginal voter (ie the ones Labour need to attract)?

• Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

Corbyn’s toxic legacy.

Wait until you hear about all those other red wall seats that were lost under Corbyn’s leadership.
    Precisely

PLP will conclude SKS is too much of a Corbynite
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

I think we should start 'The Letterbox Party'.

To add to the list:

a) Silent dogs (many and 1 hospital trip as a consequence)

b) Dogs that crash into the door at 100mph (many)

c) Those people who have considerately put a box at the front so you don't have to walk down the 100 metre drive but is now hidden in a hedge so you do walk down a 100 metre drive and waste 10 minutes looking for a letterbox that doesn't exist (several)

d) People who are ungrateful when you return their door keys which are still in the lock.

e) People who don't close their door properly so you land in their hall while putting the leaflet through the door (once)
    e) has embarassed me more than once.

A worse variation on c) is when you have climbed up steps to said house, had a good look around for any way to insert the leaflet into the house and decided to leave it under a stone or stuck in the door jamb, then when you get back to the street you notice the hidden box and have to go back and retrieve the leaflet so they don’t conclude you’re an unobservant idiot.
    Yep done the latter a few times (so frustrating). Re the not properly closed door, yes quite a few times, but only once have I made a spectacular entrance. Only thing missing was the fanfare.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Or does Greenwich RN College not count as London?
    Greenwich was the staff college for future admirals. ie not me.

I went to BRNC Dartmouth/RNFTF Roborough.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

It was a pact, sanctioned from the top by Farage and Johnson, and whichever way it might be chatacterised. Until it was confirmed, the BXP was the fastest-growing political force, and would have damaged the Tories at the election.

Utter bollocks far a far left extremist. It was not sanctioned by Johnson, though he welcomed his opposition standing down unilaterally that was a decision by them. Why wouldn't he welcome his opponents standing down?

The BXP was not a fast growing political force, it was a fast fading political farce by that date already. Check the opinion polls, they'd gone from over 20 points in the polls, to the teens and by that date were already in the single digits and fading fast.

And a week before Farage faced the inevitable, his own candidates had begun endorsing the Tories. That was the narrative at the time: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/politics/general-election-2019/2019/12/07/brexit-party-candidate-only-the-tories-can-deliver-brexit/
  • Options
    Labour have been a woeful opposition, even under Starmer.

But there is, dare I say it, a touch of hubris in the air this morning. Remember May won Copeland - a Labour seat since forever. Stunning victory etc etc. Trudi Harrison, my MP now, is now Boris's PPS. She has been conspicuously silent on the problems facing farmers and hospitality in the constituency. It is Tim Farron in the neighbouring constituency who has made all the running on this and the plight of outdoor centres. The one big jobs development in the area - the mine - has been put on hold.

Husband takes the cynical view that better to have a Tory MP as there is a chance that an area which has largely been neglected might get something. Daughter sees an MP who has said and done little and has yet to have the meeting with her to discuss the issues around hospitality and small businesses she was promised since before Xmas.

Anyway, a few months after Copeland the Tories lost their majority. Now of course the PM is a better campaigner than May, he won't call a GE etc etc. But still - a touch of humility might not go amiss. The Tories are in danger of taking their new voters just as much for granted as Labour have done, unless there are real and visible improvements.

Improving the roads would be something - round where I live the potholes are something that would disgrace a poor African village.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

I was going to say: Would you go from popular Mayor of a City Region with modest but direct powers to 1 of 650 MPs where you were expected to follow the party whip and go on the radio every other weekend to defend the indefensible? I wouldn't.
    Houchen would. The Tees Valley Mayor was designed as a non-job supervising the 5 local authorities, and comes with a suitable non-job salary of £35k. He is very good at using social media to broadcast his triumphs but they either aren't really his or aren't really triumphs ("I've created new jobs" vs employment being down, "I've bought an airport" vs it being a financial basket case which won't be able to sustain the advertised flights assuming some of them actually take off at all).
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

The Tories gave Hard Brexit, with as few qualifications as possible, to the BXP. Likewise, Labour need to give PR to the Lib Dems and Greens, if they want to get anywhere in the future.
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree about whether Johnson's Brexit Deal was a concession to one party or just what he thought was the best policy for him to adopt generally. The problem with Labour offering PR is that it is a totemic issue to LD/Green activists but no-one else. By contrast, Hard Brexit was a totemic issue to a load of voters.
  • Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

SKS fans SKS fans come out come out wherever you are!!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Interestingly you could make the same point about the unions, which were created to defend and advance the interests of the then lowest in society, but now represent a reducing swathe of the relatively secure middle, with those most vulnerable workers - the younger, gig, zero hour folks - passing them by.

Even in a unionised industry, like the one I used to work in, unions tend to look out for the interests of the older, established, mostly male jobs and be less interested in the lower paid and part-time workforce (at least they did twenty years ago).
    Unions have done quite a lot, in fairness, in promoting equal pay claims and these have generally helped poorly paid female workers but yes, Unions generally seem to be more interested in protecting the rights of those already in (who, of course, are paying their wages through their dues) than they are about future members or opportunities for the young.
  • Options

I would have voted for Phillips if she hadn't been so woeful in the leadership contest, I am not alone.

TBF she used to be crass and immature but I saw her a few weeks back talking about female homicide victims - I know it’s one of her focus topics - but she was thoughtful and impressive. If she’s improved like that over the full spectrum it may be worth revisiting her
  • Options

MrEd said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Labour aren't going to get anywhere because Starmer is utterly shit. It doesn't matter if you're shit and the incumbent because well better the devil you know and all that.
    The Tories are talking jobs, Labour is banging on about some wallpaper or other.
    Burnham is going to smash G Manchester because he does actually have a bit about him unlike the frankly dire Starmer.
    Greater Manchester was once not that much more Labour than the West Midsor North East. It probably still isn't but they'll do well there because Burnham is believed in.

Labour made a huge mistake picking Corbyn over Burnham in 2017, had they chosen Burnham they would probably have won most seats ahead of May's Tories in 2017. Starmer ironically backed Burnham for leader then
    Yeah there are structural changes going on but Labour should really have won stuff like Northfield in 2019. If Labour can't more or less sweep major city seats they'll never, ever win.
    I think one thing that fools Labour is the political changes within their social and professional circles.

There's been a huge change in graduate and upper-middle class support since the noughties, particularly amongst educated graduate women. I can think of three friends who supported the Tories even during the Blair years and went for Cameron in GE2010 who are now solidly centre-left. Educated graduate males have also slipped to Lib Dem, or Green, or "alternative" - usually not Labour, funnily enough - as they've sensed the Conservatives no longer speak to their values.

I occupy a lonely place politically within my friendship group, now, and largely don't mention politics - except to a handful on a 1:1 basis who I know are sympathetic (male professionals who keep it under the radar).
    I struggle to understand anyone supporting the Conservatives from 1997-2010, now supporting left wing parties, but you are right, it is a real phenomenon. Brexit is obviously part of the story, but only part of it.
    It is class politics played out in a different way. I live in Highgate. In 2019, the bigger the house, the greater chance they would show a Labour poster. The terraces (the Muswell Hill side obviously) tended to have Lib Dem ones.

But even if every single owner of every huge house in Highgate had voted Labour in 2019 it would not have been close to enough for Labour to win the majority it did in Holborn and St Pancras. Like it or not, in London Labour wins because it gets the votes of ordinary Londoners on average or below average wages living in rented private or council accommodation. Labour's problem is that most of the rest of England is not like London.

'It's housing, stupid.'

It's not a problem that the rest of the country can afford their own homes, it's a problem that Londoners can't.

A problem Saddiq has done the square root of zero to fix, which is why he is going to be handsomely rewarded by the electorate.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

Utter bollocks far a far left extremist. It was not sanctioned by Johnson, though he welcomed his opposition standing down unilaterally that was a decision by them. Why wouldn't he welcome his opponents standing down?

The BXP was not a fast growing political force, it was a fast fading political farce by that date already. Check the opinion polls, they'd gone from over 20 points in the polls, to the teens and by that date were already in the single digits and fading fast.

And a week before Farage faced the inevitable, his own candidates had begun endorsing the Tories. That was the narrative at the time: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/politics/general-election-2019/2019/12/07/brexit-party-candidate-only-the-tories-can-deliver-brexit/
    Farage said he was standing down in 300 seats across the country because the Tories were doing what he wanted on Brexit policy. It was a simple quid pro quo, and first official and then unofficial pacts, however exercised you might be feeling about it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

I just need some clarification on who the leader of the new party is? Having suggested it I assume I am. If challenged and I lose, just to warn you, I might set up a rival 'Party of the Letterboxes'.
    I am assuming it is going to be an all mail in ballot? With a free post, natch?
  • Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

You really are stupid enough to go there? Then again why not - Corbyn won Hartlepool 9 times after his election to Parliament. You see that Peter Mandelson - they only voted for him knowing that the Beard of the Year was in parliament as their true representative. Now that Corbyn has been booted out of the Labour Party Pools is going Tory - nuff said.

If they remove IDStarmer and reinstate the Jeremy, all the people who were LLLLL across the contact sheet who said "I'm not voting for him" will vote for him.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

I don't think SKS has "fans" mate.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

The Tories didn't give that to the BXP, they gave it to the voters. That's why the voters switched. Thats why the voters abandoned the BXP leaving Farage powerless to avoid humiliation so having no choice but to stand down.

Do you really think LD or Green voters (as opposed to LD or Green candidates) are obsessed by PR?
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

Can we have a Party For People Who Want Political Leaflets Put Straight Into The Bin, please?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,620
    edited May 2021

https://twitter.com/p_surridge/status/1389499586469928960

This seems right to me.

The problem Labour has, is there are not nearly enough Southern seats to counter those lost in the Red Wall. Anyone run the numbers on that, isn't it something like they need to win JRM's seat to undo the Red Wall

Labour need to be threatening (not necessarily winning) JRM's seat to win an OM, but of course need to do much less to deny the Tories an OM. A Labour OM is, unless a Blair shaped Black Swan arrives, completely impossible - and the current odds are ludicrous (7/2).

Among their target seats in terms of crude numbers (swing required) are completely different backgrounds, in particular compare 'marginal' seats where the Labour tide is going out (the old red wall etc) and the ones where the Labour tide is coming in (urban, BAME and posh/educated/Toynbee territory), I think there are fewer of the latter than the former mostly because they already hold that ground and because there aren't so many to start with.

Think squirrels. If you want an exciting and exotic one, search for a red one. They exist in enclaves in different parts and are wonderful. But if you want to win a squirrel election look for the greys. They are boring and everywhere. Tories hold almost all the boring seats - the ones the chattering classes visit every 20 years to write about, like The Economist mentioned mine recently (BTW we still have red squirrels).

• Options

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

Farage said he was standing down in 300 seats across the country because the Tories were doing what he wanted on Brexit policy. It was a simple quid pro quo, and first official and then unofficial pacts, however exercised you might be feeling about it.
    Farage was saving face. 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

"pretends to listen"? He delivered them their verdict on Brexit. Labour were set against doing so.
    Yes, pretends to listen. Do the people of Hartlepool want Brexit because it is Brexit, or because what they hope it will bring them? Pools is a classic post industrial left behind backwater. People want back the jobs and prosperity and pride and hope that was taken from them. Brexit was the silver bullet to cure these ills which is why they were so enthusiastic for it.

Where the Tories will struggle is that they can't deliver what was promised. I have no doubt that Hartlepool will be thrown a few scraps once it goes Tory but it won't change the fundamental problems with the town and the region. One prime example - local Tories very excited by the prospect of a free port and how it will restore industry. Except that a free port makes it easier to IMPORT, it will do nothing but harm for local industry. But as nothing but harm has been on the menu for 40 years people are desperate and will try anything.

When salvation fails to arrive? Thats when the Tories are screwed. Not to Labour's benefit you understand, we're going to see a rise of the hard right. Think UKIP/Brexit with paramilitary activists...
    A perfect example. Can you show me where in the Mayor's remit he has had anything to do with GE coming to Teesside? Its got literally fuck all to do with him and the same would have been true if (shudder) Jessie Joe Jacobs becomes mayor. She also claims all kinds of crap that are absolutely miles outside the remit of this non-job.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

The Tories didn't give that to the BXP, they gave it to the voters. That's why the voters switched. Thats why the voters abandoned the BXP leaving Farage powerless to avoid humiliation so having no choice but to stand down.

Do you really think LD or Green voters (as opposed to LD or Green candidates) are obsessed by PR?
    Well, your sense of giving it to the voters is the more subjective one. What we can say for certain is that it was the cornerstone of the BXP's manifesto demands. On the LDs and Greens, PR is what Labour needs to give their leadership, once again.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

That's in Boro and it's likely to be pulling people in from Redcar who used to work at the Steelworks.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

Can we have a Party For People Who Want Political Leaflets Put Straight Into The Bin, please?
    No.
  • Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

You really are stupid enough to go there? Then again why not - Corbyn won Hartlepool 9 times after his election to Parliament. You see that Peter Mandelson - they only voted for him knowing that the Beard of the Year was in parliament as their true representative. Now that Corbyn has been booted out of the Labour Party Pools is going Tory - nuff said.

If they remove IDStarmer and reinstate the Jeremy, all the people who were LLLLL across the contact sheet who said "I'm not voting for him" will vote for him.
    Your really so stupid to try the its Corbyns fault despite the facts.

First Labour loss since 1959

Fairy Nuff we know your obsessed you should move on.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

But there is, dare I say it, a touch of hubris in the air this morning. Remember May won Copeland - a Labour seat since forever. Stunning victory etc etc. Trudi Harrison, my MP now, is now Boris's PPS. She has been conspicuously silent on the problems facing farmers and hospitality in the constituency. It is Tim Farron in the neighbouring constituency who has made all the running on this and the plight of outdoor centres. The one big jobs development in the area - the mine - has been put on hold.

Husband takes the cynical view that better to have a Tory MP as there is a chance that an area which has largely been neglected might get something. Daughter sees an MP who has said and done little and has yet to have the meeting with her to discuss the issues around hospitality and small businesses she was promised since before Xmas.

Anyway, a few months after Copeland the Tories lost their majority. Now of course the PM is a better campaigner than May, he won't call a GE etc etc. But still - a touch of humility might not go amiss. The Tories are in danger of taking their new voters just as much for granted as Labour have done, unless there are real and visible improvements.

Improving the roads would be something - round where I live the potholes are something that would disgrace a poor African village.

In the short term the blue wave is unstoppable. The Tories problem is that unless they deliver substantial progress it will recede pretty quickly. As you say, many of these new Tory MPs are beyond useless and having been parachuted into places they know or care very little about are absolutely anonymous. As the people of Hartlepool are about to find out...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,976
    Cyclefree said:

If there were a by-election in Chingford or Kensington, or Wycombe, Labour would probably win it by a country mile. That article on the Blue Wall was interesting.
  • Options
    eek said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

Houchen would. The Tees Valley Mayor was designed as a non-job supervising the 5 local authorities, and comes with a suitable non-job salary of £35k. He is very good at using social media to broadcast his triumphs but they either aren't really his or aren't really triumphs ("I've created new jobs" vs employment being down, "I've bought an airport" vs it being a financial basket case which won't be able to sustain the advertised flights assuming some of them actually take off at all).
    What's wrong with London (Darlington) airport as Ryanair will undoubtedly call it.
    Naah - its in the same country as the destination, their trick was flying people into the neighbouring country and sticking them on a coach.

Teesside Airport's problem is the same as all the other small sub-regional airports: costs outstrip demand. There isn't a sufficiently big enough catchment to make the airport viable, so costs shoot up making the few seats available bonkers money compared to the big regional airports. So few people fly and the airlines pull out. As they have already done once from Teesside.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

I am assuming it is going to be an all mail in ballot? With a free post, natch?
    That means we have to appoint a returning officer and I guess you know who I am going to suggest for that role?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,369

5 top priorities = 5 yr plan = Edstone
  • Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

I don't think SKS has "fans" mate.
    I reckon they have all dropped off after watching SKS's greatest speeches on Youtube
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    AlistairM said:

New Statesman article arguing that if the Tories win Hartlepool then it is a Tory hold rather than a Labour loss:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2021/04/what-would-be-good-result-labour-hartlepool-election

This rather ignores that this seat (or its predecessor) last returned a Tory in 1959. The Red Wall seems to be continuing to crumble.

Yet, what about elsewhere in the country? In my rather leafy Bucks village I have yet to see a single Tory banner. A few Labour but many Green signs. Locally the Greens have done quite well before and I would expect that to continue. Locally they don't have to worry about some of their more bonkers national policies. As a traditional Tory I am tempted to give them my vote in the locals which I would never do in a general election.

Here in leafy Jeremy Hunt-land SWS Surrey (Godalming, Fasrnham, Haslemere) the Tory campaign is bizarrely lacklustre. I've had 2 A4 leaflets from them, both closely-typed screeds saying things like "[If the other parties win] we could be faced with higher council tax bills to fund grand visions that have no detailed plan for implementation." Even though I'm heavily involved I have no idea what they're talking about - the only major "vision" I've seen lately is the Tory plan to merge councils into a unitary. It's all perfecvtly unobjectionable stuff, but...?

The LibDem campaign is a bit dull too - lots of A3 leaflets (six, I think) with pictures of the candidates, sayinbg they have a record of success and Labour can't win here, but not many proposals. Labour is focusing on two seats and has put out a lot of leaflets (4) there, but starting from a low base - from zero in one case, as we stood down last time. I've seen a few posters for each party but it's all very quiet. Greens have endorsed LibDems in the towns and are only standing in some villages. Oddly, voters seem quite interested - in phone canvassing, I'm only rarely getting a "won't bother" response, and quite a few warmly endorsing each of the three parties. Prediction - LibDems may be either +1 or -1 vis-a-vis Tories, otherwise no change.
  • Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

Corbyn’s toxic legacy.

Corbyns toxic legacy is the dire quality of Labour MPs in parly.

SKS needs one election to bring in a quality cohort. Only then can he make a push for govt.

He's a decade away from power.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

Well, your sense of giving it to the voters is the more subjective one. What we can say for certain is that it was the cornerstone of the BXP's manifesto demands. On the LDs and Greens, PR is what Labour needs to give their leadership, once again.
    It was the cornerstone of what the voters wanted, which is why they abandoned May and went to the BXP - and why when Johnson repositioned the party the voters abandoned the BXP and switched to Johnson's Party. Whether you call it populism or democracy, appealling to the voters works.

On the LDs and the Greens, asking yourself why their voters are backing those Parties instead of Labour is the question that needs addressing. If the answer to that question is that the voters want PR then giving it to them may make the voters switch, without a need for a pact - and thus potentially seeing the other parties standing down as a result.

But if the answer is that the voters want something else, that's not why the voters aren't backing Labour, then the voters will likely continue to not back Labour and vote for something else instead. Or not vote at all.

You are trying to short-circuit the voters, rather than learning the lesson of what Johnson did which is appeal over the top of the other parties directly to their voters.
  • Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

No no no, the loss of the red wall predates Corbyn so it isn't his fault. The dam has been eroded over time, with no maintenance done by an arrogant local Labour hierarchy who think they are born to rule because its all the Tories fault.

Labour's problem is that the dam burst thanks to Brexit. What you propose is that Labour go back to the failed Corbyn experiment, have a slate of wazzocks like Sam Tarry, Zarah Sultana and Laura Pillock as MPs and double down on policy so that Labour only talk to the bottom 5% and blame everything on the top 1% and say fuck all to everyone else.

Labour's solution is not Starmer. Labour's solution is not Corbyn. It is not either / or you tosspot. As I tweeted earlier this morning the left and right in Labour fight like ferrets in a sack and neither side understand why you're in the sack in the first place.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited May 2021

MrEd said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Labour aren't going to get anywhere because Starmer is utterly shit. It doesn't matter if you're shit and the incumbent because well better the devil you know and all that.
    The Tories are talking jobs, Labour is banging on about some wallpaper or other.
    Burnham is going to smash G Manchester because he does actually have a bit about him unlike the frankly dire Starmer.
    Greater Manchester was once not that much more Labour than the West Midsor North East. It probably still isn't but they'll do well there because Burnham is believed in.

Labour made a huge mistake picking Corbyn over Burnham in 2017, had they chosen Burnham they would probably have won most seats ahead of May's Tories in 2017. Starmer ironically backed Burnham for leader then
    Yeah there are structural changes going on but Labour should really have won stuff like Northfield in 2019. If Labour can't more or less sweep major city seats they'll never, ever win.
    I think one thing that fools Labour is the political changes within their social and professional circles.

There's been a huge change in graduate and upper-middle class support since the noughties, particularly amongst educated graduate women. I can think of three friends who supported the Tories even during the Blair years and went for Cameron in GE2010 who are now solidly centre-left. Educated graduate males have also slipped to Lib Dem, or Green, or "alternative" - usually not Labour, funnily enough - as they've sensed the Conservatives no longer speak to their values.

I occupy a lonely place politically within my friendship group, now, and largely don't mention politics - except to a handful on a 1:1 basis who I know are sympathetic (male professionals who keep it under the radar).
    I struggle to understand anyone supporting the Conservatives from 1997-2010, now supporting left wing parties, but you are right, it is a real phenomenon. Brexit is obviously part of the story, but only part of it.
    It is class politics played out in a different way. I live in Highgate. In 2019, the bigger the house, the greater chance they would show a Labour poster. The terraces (the Muswell Hill side obviously) tended to have Lib Dem ones.

But even if every single owner of every huge house in Highgate had voted Labour in 2019 it would not have been close to enough for Labour to win the majority it did in Holborn and St Pancras. Like it or not, in London Labour wins because it gets the votes of ordinary Londoners on average or below average wages living in rented private or council accommodation. Labour's problem is that most of the rest of England is not like London.

'It's housing, stupid.'

It's not a problem that the rest of the country can afford their own homes, it's a problem that Londoners can't.

A problem Saddiq has done the square root of zero to fix, which is why he is going to be handsomely rewarded by the electorate.
    Why would Khan want to fix it? The last thing he wants to see is more Londoners owning their own home and becoming Tories like most of the rest of the country, keeping most Londoners renting keeps them voting Labour
  • Options
    AlistairM said:
    James Bond did that decades ago.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

A split before it even comes into being is pretty impressive. Not even UKIP splinter factions manage that.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Charles said:

This is pure Trumpian politics from the Tory party.

https://twitter.com/Jamesdbaker1/status/1389312069124591616

Not at all.

The argument “elect an MP from the governing party because they can lobby the minister more effectively” is as old as time
    Old, but still despicable.

Sounds like it was cooked up on east European party drugs.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

AlistairM said:

Here in leafy Jeremy Hunt-land SWS Surrey (Godalming, Fasrnham, Haslemere) the Tory campaign is bizarrely lacklustre. I've had 2 A4 leaflets from them, both closely-typed screeds saying things like "[If the other parties win] we could be faced with higher council tax bills to fund grand visions that have no detailed plan for implementation." Even though I'm heavily involved I have no idea what they're talking about - the only major "vision" I've seen lately is the Tory plan to merge councils into a unitary. It's all perfecvtly unobjectionable stuff, but...?

The LibDem campaign is a bit dull too - lots of A3 leaflets (six, I think) with pictures of the candidates, sayinbg they have a record of success and Labour can't win here, but not many proposals. Labour is focusing on two seats and has put out a lot of leaflets (4) there, but starting from a low base - from zero in one case, as we stood down last time. I've seen a few posters for each party but it's all very quiet. Greens have endorsed LibDems in the towns and are only standing in some villages. Oddly, voters seem quite interested - in phone canvassing, I'm only rarely getting a "won't bother" response, and quite a few warmly endorsing each of the three parties. Prediction - LibDems may be either +1 or -1 vis-a-vis Tories, otherwise no change.
    As a fellow Surrey resident what I would say is...'it's surrey', I'll probably be voting Lib dem, but only out of a general 'lets not keep the tories too safe and keep them on their toes' way.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Hmmm - interesting interpretation of safer

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1389470990590267393
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    edited May 2021

eek said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

What's wrong with London (Darlington) airport as Ryanair will undoubtedly call it.
    Naah - its in the same country as the destination, their trick was flying people into the neighbouring country and sticking them on a coach.

Teesside Airport's problem is the same as all the other small sub-regional airports: costs outstrip demand. There isn't a sufficiently big enough catchment to make the airport viable, so costs shoot up making the few seats available bonkers money compared to the big regional airports. So few people fly and the airlines pull out. As they have already done once from Teesside.
    Yep - it's a numbers game but even in it's pre-refresh state it was a far nicer airport to fly from than Newcastle.

Had the Oil industry not existed it would have gone years ago (the AMS journeys were great as literally everyone has priority boarding) so the question is will the new Treasury site helps things along as Oil dies out.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

This seems right to me.

The problem Labour has, is there are not nearly enough Southern seats to counter those lost in the Red Wall. Anyone run the numbers on that, isn't it something like they need to win JRM's seat to undo the Red Wall

Labour need to be threatening (not necessarily winning) JRM's seat to win an OM, but of course need to do much less to deny the Tories an OM. A Labour OM is, unless a Blair shaped Black Swan arrives, completely impossible - and the current odds are ludicrous (7/2).

Among their target seats in terms of crude numbers (swing required) are completely different backgrounds, in particular compare 'marginal' seats where the Labour tide is going out (the old red wall etc) and the ones where the Labour tide is coming in (urban, BAME and posh/educated/Toynbee territory), I think there are fewer of the latter than the former mostly because they already hold that ground and because there aren't so many to start with.

Think squirrels. If you want an exciting and exotic one, search for a red one. They exist in enclaves in different parts and are wonderful. But if you want to win a squirrel election look for the greys. They are boring and everywhere. Tories hold almost all the boring seats - the ones the chattering classes visit every 20 years to write about, like The Economist mentioned mine recently (BTW we still have red squirrels).

I like the Squirrel Theory of Electoral Success. Also explains the Isle of Wight being a bit unique.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

Splitter!
  • Options

Hartlepool 2015

Hartlepool 2017

Hartlepool 2019

No no no, the loss of the red wall predates Corbyn so it isn't his fault. The dam has been eroded over time, with no maintenance done by an arrogant local Labour hierarchy who think they are born to rule because its all the Tories fault.

Labour's problem is that the dam burst thanks to Brexit. What you propose is that Labour go back to the failed Corbyn experiment, have a slate of wazzocks like Sam Tarry, Zarah Sultana and Laura Pillock as MPs and double down on policy so that Labour only talk to the bottom 5% and blame everything on the top 1% and say fuck all to everyone else.

Labour's solution is not Starmer. Labour's solution is not Corbyn. It is not either / or you tosspot. As I tweeted earlier this morning the left and right in Labour fight like ferrets in a sack and neither side understand why you're in the sack in the first place.
    I voted for Nandy but thanks for calling me a tosspot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 19-26 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2017.

He has more power as West Midlands Mayor than he would do as an MP, unless he was assured a big Cabinet post early on
    And the clown doesn’t exactly welcome competent intelligent politicians around him.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

Farage not kicking up a fuss about the exit deal was genuinely shocking.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,579
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

If there were a by-election in Chingford or Kensington, or Wycombe, Labour would probably win it by a country mile. That article on the Blue Wall was interesting.
    And, in a way, that's the key thing that some commentators have forgotten here this morning.

If today's poll is even half-right, Hartlepool is a goner. Well, duh. Without Tice's intervention, it would have fallen easily in December 2019.

But if yesterday's polls are right, the national picture is that the government, despite all its triumphs, is barely ahead of this terrible Labour party led by terrible old Starmer.

Both things can be true at once.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

This seems right to me.

Best analogy I've seen here in a long time. 👍🐿
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

MrEd said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Inner city working class people are the wrong kind of working class.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

The farmers who used to plaster rural areas with big Tory posters seem strangely less keen this time around. Has anything happened recently?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Chameleon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

You recall wrong then.

It was the cornerstone of what the voters wanted, which is why they abandoned May and went to the BXP - and why when Johnson repositioned the party the voters abandoned the BXP and switched to Johnson's Party. Whether you call it populism or democracy, appealling to the voters works.

On the LDs and the Greens, asking yourself why their voters are backing those Parties instead of Labour is the question that needs addressing. If the answer to that question is that the voters want PR then giving it to them may make the voters switch, without a need for a pact - and thus potentially seeing the other parties standing down as a result.

But if the answer is that the voters want something else, that's not why the voters aren't backing Labour, then the voters will likely continue to not back Labour and vote for something else instead. Or not vote at all.

You are trying to short-circuit the voters, rather than learning the lesson of what Johnson did which is appeal over the top of the other parties directly to their voters.
    You're propounding here an extremely rosy account of the entire Brexit process as from-the-ground-up, organic democracy, as Spiked et al also tend to do.

The only reason Cameron agreed to a referendum in the very first place was solely two forms of party-political calculation. Firstly, that the right of his party was beginning to pose a threat to his position internally, but more importantly, because UKIP was beginning to threaten him at local and european elections, and before most voters even much cared about the european topic at all, according to all the surveys of the time.
This discussion has been closed.