Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Great Unknown: A Betting History Of The Great British By-Election

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited May 2021 in General

The Great Unknown: A Betting History Of The Great British By-Election.

The modern era of political betting began in 1963 when Ladbrokes’ Ron Pollard opened up a book on the Conservative Party leadership contest. Shrewd punters could back the outsider Alec Douglas-Home at 16/1 over the hot 5/4 favourite Rab Butler…..

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,563
    First!

Just imagine a young Mike Smithson, clutching his coppers (the coins, not the bill) as he steps up to the window, peering upward and piping, "Please sir, may I put a half crown on Sir Alec"? (Or whatever he - the laird, not Mike - was calling himself at that moment.)

The hardened bookie snorts in derision, "It'll be yer funeral, lad. Sure you don't want to invest in a half-pound of Turkish Delight instead?"

"No, Sir!"

And the rest, as they say, is history . . .
  • Options
    This post by AB is a truly first-rate contribution to electoral history in general, and political betting history in particular!

Haven't actually read it yet, but can't wait to do so, it's clearly chock full o' facts. AND nuts!
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Fourth...like Reform (or whatever it is called)
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Great header - Labour History is also a brilliant follow on twitter for those not already doing so.

I noticed a few days back that Mr Broxton chose an image with a surfeit of Union Jacks for the post on Blairs 1997 victory, for those who claim that the flag stuff is new!
  • Options

This post by AB is a truly first-rate contribution to electoral history in general, and political betting history in particular!

Haven't actually read it yet, but can't wait to do so, it's clearly chock full o' facts. AND nuts!

Its a great piece and brought a few memories back..... shame they dont offer the long odds these days - George Galloway 33/1 in Bradford made me smile. I have got a small sum on Labour in Hartlepool... Interested to see how Chesham and Amersham shapes up I reckon the LDs will fancy their chances
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Its a great piece and brought a few memories back..... shame they dont offer the long odds these days - George Galloway 33/1 in Bradford made me smile. I have got a small sum on Labour in Hartlepool... Interested to see how Chesham and Amersham shapes up I reckon the LDs will fancy their chances
    I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but the LDs have never lost a by-election battle with the Tories when they were in second place at the previous general election.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but the LDs have never lost a by-election battle with the Tories when they were in second place at the previous general election.
    There have only been three by elections where the LDs have been defending, so not exactly a large sample.
  • Options

First!

Just imagine a young Mike Smithson, clutching his coppers (the coins, not the bill) as he steps up to the window, peering upward and piping, "Please sir, may I put a half crown on Sir Alec"? (Or whatever he - the laird, not Mike - was calling himself at that moment.)

The hardened bookie snorts in derision, "It'll be yer funeral, lad. Sure you don't want to invest in a half-pound of Turkish Delight instead?"

"No, Sir!"

Alas my first political bet on the 1963 CON leadership was a foretaste of what was to come - a loser
    Well, you learned an important lesson. And clearly ignored it!

Seriously, who DID you bet on? Sir Gerald Nabarro?
  • Options
    RobD said:

There have only been three by elections where the LDs have been defending, so not exactly a large sample.
    A hat trick is still a hat trick.
  • Options

RobD said:

A hat trick is still a hat trick.
    Meh, you could also say the LDs have never lost a by-election. The Tories being second isn't really significant at all.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited May 2021

First!

"No, Sir!"

Alas my first political bet on the 1963 CON leadership was a foretaste of what was to come - a loser
    So how did the rank outsider with the carry on voice beat Rab Butler? Some sort of backlash against those on front bench?

Off the top of the head, it was a smoke filled room election, not democracy?
  • Options
    quick look at weather for Hartlepool on Thursday - cool with some showers in the pm, but nothing heavy (at the moment) so no one can currently blame the weather. I still fancy Labour but if the Tory ground effort (of which I am unsighted) have worked hard and focussed they can pull it off
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985

Henley.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Henley.
    That was a Tory seat at the previous election, not a Lib Dem defence.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Henley.
    That was a Tory seat at the previous election, not a Lib Dem defence.
    Mike said: "I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but the LDs have never lost a by-election battle with the Tories when they were in second place at the previous general election."

I assume the "they" referred to the LDs. Plus the original comment was about Chesham and Amersham, which suggests he was talking about the Conservatives defending.

• Options
    Intriguingly, Chesham & Amersham had almost exactly the same result in 2010 and 2019.

Basically Con 31,000 vs LD 15,000 each time.

In between the LDs dipped to fourth in 2015, and then third in 2017, before recovering in 2019.

There can't be many seats like that.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,604
    "UK (Scotland), BMG poll:

Net approval

Sturgeon (SNP-G/EFA): +22
    Sarwar (LAB-S&D): +12
    Harvie (SGP-G/EFA): -4
    Rennie (LDEM-RE): -5
    Starmer (LAB-S&D): -10
    Ross (CON-ECR): -30
    Johnson (CON-ECR): -40

Fieldwork: 23-27 April 2021
    Sample size: 1,001

http://europeelects.eu/uk"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1389320965541269512
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Intriguingly, Chesham & Amersham had almost exactly the same result in 2010 and 2019.

In between the LDs dipped to fourth in 2015, and then third in 2017, before recovering in 2019.

Indeed, the the seat has remained remarkably stable vote-wise all the way back to the early 1970s. October 1974 - for example - saw:

Con 25,000 vs Lib 14,000.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373
    Great header, though it shows as Undefined discussion subject on Vanilla.
  • Options
    London Mayor: just seen for the first time a Youtube advert for Nims Obunge.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    gealbhan said:

First!

"No, Sir!"

So how did the rank outsider with the carry on voice beat Rab Butler? Some sort of backlash against those on front bench?

Home was Foreign Secretary, but as a Lord was regarded (rightly) as non-available to be PM. However, the law change that allowed Tony Benn to renounce his peerage opened up the same opportunity for Home, at just the right moment to take advantage of it when Macmillan announced he was stepping down due to ill health in the fall of 1963

The press, public and MPs considered the front-runners to be RAB Butler (Deputy PM), Quentin Hogg (formerly Lord Hailsham, he ditched his peerage also; until then he was Leader of the HoL) and Reginald Maulding (Chancellor of the Ex). There was no Conservative leadership election, instead the "customary processes" which were unofficial but highly significant "consultations" with Tory MPs and leading Lord and reports of the "results" to Macmillan, culminating with the PM giving his best (non-binding) advice to the Queen.

And that advice was to summon Sir Alec Douglas Home. Which she duly did.

Why not Butler, Hogg or Hailsham. Starting with the last, Hailsham was regarded as too young and flash and a bit risky, in the final analysis too risky. Hogg was regarded as a right-winger, and hearty about it which was considered (back then) worse; fact that Randolph Churchill passed out "Q" buttons at the Tory Conference while the powers-that-be were surveying parliamentary opinion was NOT a plus for him. As for Butler, Macmillan never thought him truly suitable, partly because he'd been a Chamberlainite (but then ADH had been Chamberlain's PPS) but mostly because he felt Butler lacked "bottom" whatever that is exactly.

BTW this was the last Tory leadership election decided by "customary processes". One of the things ADH did will he was C&UP Leader, was oversee creation of an actual election process for selecting his successor.
  • Options
    London Mayor: Skybet offer evens each of two to come third on Sian Berry (Greens) and Luisa Porritt (LibDem). Other candidates, and indeed bookmakers, are available. Not a tip: it just seems odd.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Fascinating header - thanks Mr Broxton!
  • Options
    Rob_downunderRob_downunder Posts: 128
    Great article - shame it misses out what I remember as the biggest shock by-election of recent years, Glenrothes in 2008. Amazing work for the Scottish Labour machine to pull that off. Shows how far the party has fallen North of the border.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Penrith
  • Options
    RobD said:

How can you be defending from second place last time? ;’
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,224

gealbhan said:

First!

"No, Sir!"

Home was Foreign Secretary, but as a Lord was regarded (rightly) as non-available to be PM. However, the law change that allowed Tony Benn to renounce his peerage opened up the same opportunity for Home, at just the right moment to take advantage of it when Macmillan announced he was stepping down due to ill health in the fall of 1963

The press, public and MPs considered the front-runners to be RAB Butler (Deputy PM), Quentin Hogg (formerly Lord Hailsham, he ditched his peerage also; until then he was Leader of the HoL) and Reginald Maulding (Chancellor of the Ex). There was no Conservative leadership election, instead the "customary processes" which were unofficial but highly significant "consultations" with Tory MPs and leading Lord and reports of the "results" to Macmillan, culminating with the PM giving his best (non-binding) advice to the Queen.

Why not Butler, Hogg or Hailsham. Starting with the last, Hailsham was regarded as too young and flash and a bit risky, in the final analysis too risky. Hogg was regarded as a right-winger, and hearty about it which was considered (back then) worse; fact that Randolph Churchill passed out "Q" buttons at the Tory Conference while the powers-that-be were surveying parliamentary opinion was NOT a plus for him. As for Butler, Macmillan never thought him truly suitable, partly because he'd been a Chamberlainite (but then ADH had been Chamberlain's PPS) but mostly because he felt Butler lacked "bottom" whatever that is exactly.

BTW this was the last Tory leadership election decided by "customary processes". One of the things ADH did will he was C&UP Leader, was oversee creation of an actual election process for selecting his successor.
    Hailsham and Hogg were the same person!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

How can you be defending from second place last time? ;’
    I think I misinterpreted "they" in the sentence.
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited May 2021
    Great piece. Thank you Anthony. Really interesting and it will make a great resource to return to.

I think there's one typo though isn't there? That final paragraph on the SNP, you surely mean it marked a decade long period for the Conservatives in the wilderness? As it reads now it says it was the SNP who went into the wilderness. Or do you mean 'the beginning of the end of its decade long slump'?

"The SNP took the seat and declared it “not just a political earthquake, it is off the Richter scale”. It marked the beginning of its decade long slump into the political wilderness in Scotland."
  • Options
    TimT said:
    Unremarkable riffing at length on Kissinger's remark that the EU has too many presidents and no President. No new facts; no new thoughts.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,419
    Survation have the Tories winning Hartlepool by 17%.

Con 50%

Lab 33%
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    edited May 2021
    There is no header to this thread... when viewed on vanilla
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

First!

"No, Sir!"

Quite correct, again I standed. Of course, meant to say MAULDING not HAILSHAM. My only excuse is, it's been a long day (now approaching 11pm PDT)

Perhaps the rest is slightly less erroneous? One can only hope!
  • Options

Con 50%

Lab 33%

I rarely believe polls but that is a massive lead....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

First!

"No, Sir!"

Quite correct, again I standed. Of course, meant to say MAULDING not HAILSHAM. My only excuse is, it's been a long day (now approaching 11pm PDT)

It looked a fair enough substitute with ‘Maudling’ for ‘Hailsham,’ although you should have mentioned Macleod as well. (Too left wing, too enthusiastic about decolonisation.)
  • Options

Con 50%

Lab 33%

This poll is a pity. Those of us confident the tories are going to win Hartlepool comfortably would prefer a little psychological expectation management ;)

Boris has been campaigning there not so much because it's tight but because he wants to reinforce the image that he's a winner in Labour's red wall.

A comfortable tory win, sneaking into the thousands not the hundreds.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "Analysis – Damian Lyons Lowe.

On the face of it, this looks like one of the most stunning potential poll results we’ve (actually published)"

No shit!
  • Options

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Couple of pieces of caution.

The data field is 23-29 April which is before some of the Wallpapergate and sleaze.

And the respondents to the phone poll total 517 out of the 1000 called. Not too bad but still a crumb of comfort for those reckoning on a Labour hold.

Off topic, I wonder if Shaun Murphy will be having nightmares about that final red on the cushion for the rest of his life? Easy to say with hindsight but it was a crazy shot to take on.
  • Options

Con 50%

Lab 33%

The data field is 23-29 April which is before some of the Wallpapergate and sleaze.

And the respondents to the phone poll total 517 out of the 1000 called. Not too bad but still a crumb of comfort for those reckoning on a Labour hold.

Off topic, I wonder if Shaun Murphy will be having nightmares about that final red on the cushion for the rest of his life? Easy to say with hindsight but it was a crazy shot to take on.
    Does Jimmy White still have nightmares about that black off the spot in 1994?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Safe Tory seat :D
  • Options
    There's an entertaining read of the 2004 Byelection on the BBC website.....colourful one https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-56589799
  • Options

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Strange time of day to release it.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Why did it take 6 days to find sufficient responders? Or was that deliberate? I have no idea how it might affect the poll.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    Good morning everyone.

Re Shaun Murphy. Not crazy, brave!

And a good concession speech. I'd like to see him win again soon.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Why did it take 6 days to find sufficient responders? Or was that deliberate? I have no idea how it might affect the poll.
    Because doing single seat polling like this is VERY difficult
  • Options

Good morning everyone.

Re Shaun Murphy. Not crazy, brave!

And a good concession speech. I'd like to see him win again soon.

He’s been thinking that himself for 15 years.
  • Options
    "UK - By-Elections - Hartlepool By-Election - Winner"

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.180699589
  • Options
    SeaShanty I was about to quote your 'wallpapergate is not something' but you have now removed it I think?

I was going to say that national opinion polls really DO seem to have shown a sharp downturn for the tories and uplift for Labour. That may be froth responding to the relentlessly bad Boris headlines which lasted for a week. But I don't think it can be airily dismissed.

Fwiw I reckon the tories are going to have a very good day on Thursday.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Excellent piece, thank you.

I notice that Wikipedia says the Hull North by-election was won thanks to Labour announcing plans for the Humber Bridge. That's some bribe to win a by-election!
  • Options
    As if Mexico wasn’t having enough trouble

Mexico City metro overpass collapses, killing 15
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-56977129
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    What a great piece thank you.

Just a small query. You say, of a 1981 election, there was a Falklands effect. The war was the following year or were there pre-shocks which affected that election?
  • Options
    That’s a big win in Hartlepool. Glad I’m not betting on that.

• Options
    Some amazing approval ratings for Johnson in Hartlepool too.

The sad thing is as I’ve said many times, Starmer was the best Labour had.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

That’s a big win in Hartlepool. Glad I’m not betting on that.

Decent odds were available on the obvious winner
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

First!

"No, Sir!"

It looked a fair enough substitute with ‘Maudling’ for ‘Hailsham,’ although you should have mentioned Macleod as well. (Too left wing, too enthusiastic about decolonisation.)
    Thought about mentioning both Macleod AND Powell. But had to stop somewhere!

Neither were really in the frame for the leadership themselves in lead up to 1963. And not afterward neither as it turned out.

In retrospect, Sir Alec Douglas Hume was perfectly positioned, at least within the confines of the Tory Party as it was then composed and organized.
    > He was a Chamberlainite who was nevertheless acceptable to the Churchillians, most especially Macmillan, in a way that Butler never really was.
    > ADH was on the right but seen as a rightwinger, which Hailsham > Hogg certainly was, along with Powell.
    > He was certainly not to the left of the party, unlike Butler (as in "Butskellism" = economic policy convergence with Labour Leader Hugh Gaitskell) or Macleod
    > ADH was solid (indeed bit stolid) and trusted by Macmillan, and many other Tories in & out of government and parliament, in a way that Maulding and even Butler were not.
    > Finally (at least for me) he had considerable foreign policy experience, and was in accord for the most part with Macmillan's views, esp. on America & the Russians, while the others had less experience and were harder (for Mac) where they ready stood and were likely to do on the international stage - perhaps THE prime consideration for the departing prime minister, along with winning the next general election.

One factor that was entered into the calculation, but not weighted sufficiently, was the 14th Earl factor. While Sir Alec did better in this regard, and overall, than many observers, esp. non-Tory ones, had expected, it seems clear that the burden of aristocracy in the age of democracy was too much. A Lord Boris might have pulled it off, and Sir Alec almost did - but it was a strategic mistake in 1963 to select a throwback to Lord Stanley or Lord Rosebery, even if the later was a Liberal (albeit a pro-imperialist, right-wing Lib).
  • Options

Con 50%

Lab 33%

No, the total respondents in this poll is 517, the 1,000+ figure comes from combining the respondents from this poll and the last poll.
  • Options

Con 50%

Lab 33%

No, the total respondents in this poll is 517, the 1,000+ figure comes from combining the respondents from this poll and the last poll.
    Oh ok. Even more reason for a smidgeon of caution then esp when you consider Mike's point about single seat polls.
  • Options

SeaShanty I was about to quote your 'wallpapergate is not something' but you have now removed it I think?

I was going to say that national opinion polls really DO seem to have shown a sharp downturn for the tories and uplift for Labour. That may be froth responding to the relentlessly bad Boris headlines which lasted for a week. But I don't think it can be airily dismissed.

Fwiw I reckon the tories are going to have a very good day on Thursday.

No that was me.. I meant to say that I did not think that wallpapergate would have as much resonance as people might think. My sister told me yesterday after I had mentioned about my neighbour ripping out a perfectly good and new 15k kitchen and putting in one that cost 25k because she did not like the existing one, that round her way in Weybridge 100k was not uncommon for a kitchen and 75k was average for well off people... jeez.....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

On the face of it, this looks like one of the most stunning potential poll results we’ve (actually published)"

No shit!
    Phone poll alert. Old people and landlines.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Strange time of day to release it.
    It is for Good Morning Britain so that explains the release time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

No shit!
    ..and your conclusion as to this effect?
  • Options
    Like the last poll the final voting intention figure is based on 301 respondents giving an intention.

The poll has Thelma Walker and Sam Lee on 6% each, I will eat the late Paddy Ashdown's hat if that happens.
  • Options

I'm not so sure.

Starmer was an arch Remainer and the fact is that Labour's Red Wall aren't. They are Brexiteers and that doesn't mean just about Brexit. It's a generational seismic shift that encompasses British patriotism and an anti-woke agenda. Starmer is a million miles away from these people. However much he tries to big up his south London tough background, which might be true, he's a metropolitan barrister.

He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.

I don't honestly know how Labour come back, I really don't. They are caught on the horns of a dilemma. On the one hand there's the mainly southern pro-European pro-Remain anti-Brexit internationalist metropolitans with their heartland in Labour London.

On the other there's their old core vote, the red wall, which has little or nothing in common with the aforementioned.

Brexit brought those two factions to a head. Starmer in the end tried to bridge the gap with a risible fudge.

What I would state is (I think) this. Whereas if Labour had a northerner leader who spoke the Red Wall language they would not lose their London core, the opposite is not true. Having a metropolitan Remainer as leader means they will continue to lose their Red Wall.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

No shit!
    Didn’t we cover this last time? We can’t just explain away polls we don't like.

The worry for Labour must be that if this is the result in Red Wall seats then they’re going to have to do a lot better elsewhere.
  • Options
    If Jarvis had stood I would have voted for him, in addition I’d consider Burnham. But Starmer was clearly the best out of the candidates in the race.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

But Starmer was clearly the best out of the candidates in the race.

Fair enough but that's a wholly different comment from the first one.

I'm not convinced Starmer was the best Labour could do.
  • Options

My friends in red have already messaged me about the Pools poll. "exactly as we said a month ago. Tories would have taken the seat in 2019 had Brexit not split their vote. The lion share of their vote is going Tory".

What is truly sad is that Labour on Teesside are about to get smashed in the by-election, the mayoral and the PCC elections. And yet so many of my former colleagues - all sensible centre-left - will still fail to see that THEY are the problem.

For too many long-standing Labour activists in the region, they see their right to be in power as absolute. The Tories destroyed industry and the Tories will get the blame. Except that the economy has changed, people have changed and that just isn't true any more.

Nailed it.
  • Options
    How many years is it going to take Labour to escape the loony left tag that Corbyn gave the Party.. it is easy to.unpick the Labour stance as the real Labour been loony left.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Labour in real trouble in the north if the Hartlepool poll is anywhere near reality.
    Stuff like Barnsley East, one of the Hull seats and Miliband's seat would go lol
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605

I'm not so sure.

Starmer was an arch Remainer and the fact is that Labour's Red Wall aren't. They are Brexiteers and that doesn't mean just about Brexit. It's a generational seismic shift that encompasses British patriotism and an anti-woke agenda. Starmer is a million miles away from these people. However much he tries to big up his south London tough background, which might be true, he's a metropolitan barrister.

He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.

I don't honestly know how Labour come back, I really don't. They are caught on the horns of a dilemma. On the one hand there's the mainly southern pro-European pro-Remain anti-Brexit internationalist metropolitans with their heartland in Labour London.

On the other there's their old core vote, the red wall, which has little or nothing in common with the aforementioned.

Brexit brought those two factions to a head. Starmer in the end tried to bridge the gap with a risible fudge.

What I would state is (I think) this. Whereas if Labour had a northerner leader who spoke the Red Wall language they would not lose their London core, the opposite is not true. Having a metropolitan Remainer as leader means they will continue to lose their Red Wall.
    Bring on Angela Rayner, who is a far more deft and sophisticated politician than often perceived.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Wow, that poll doesn’t make it sound close. Government winning a seat against the opposition, that’s not happened since, err, Copeland in 2017.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    rcs1000 said:

Seats that were Tory-LD in 2010 and 2019, with the margins and change in margins sorted by the biggest swings to the Tories:

Torridge and West Devon: 5.3pp, 41.8pp, 36.5 pp
    Newton Abbot: 1.1pp, 33.3pp, 32.2 pp
    Montgomeryshire: 3.5pp, 35.5pp, 32 pp
    West Worcestershire: 12.5pp, 42.6pp, 30.1 pp
    North Dorset: 14.1pp, 43.3pp, 29.2 pp
    North Herefordshire: 20.8pp, 48.7pp, 27.9 pp
    Ludlow: 20pp, 47.1pp, 27.1 pp
    Tewkesbury: 11.7pp, 36.7pp, 25 pp
    Salisbury: 12.3pp, 36.7pp, 24.4 pp
    Chelmsford: 9.4pp, 30.8pp, 21.5 pp
    Meon Valley: 23.7pp, 43pp, 19.3 pp
    Devizes: 28.1pp, 47.1pp, 19 pp
    North Wiltshire: 15.4pp, 32.2pp, 16.8 pp
    West Dorset: 6.8pp, 23.2pp, 16.3 pp
    Christchurch: 31.2pp, 47.4pp, 16.2 pp
    Mid Sussex: 13.3pp, 29pp, 15.7 pp
    Saffron Walden: 28pp, 43.7pp, 15.7 pp
    Harrogate and Knaresborough: 2pp, 17pp, 15 pp
    Totnes: 10.3pp, 24.4pp, 14.1 pp
    Stratford-on-Avon: 22.5pp, 36.3pp, 13.8 pp
    New Forest West: 35.5pp, 48.5pp, 13 pp
    Horsham: 20.5pp, 33.4pp, 12.9 pp
    Kenilworth and Southam: 25.9pp, 38.7pp, 12.8 pp
    Romsey and Southampton North: 8.5pp, 21.2pp, 12.7 pp
    Tonbridge and Malling: 35.4pp, 47.3pp, 11.8 pp
    Wealden: 31.3pp, 42.1pp, 10.9 pp
    North West Hampshire: 34.9pp, 44.7pp, 9.8 pp
    The Cotswolds: 23.5pp, 33pp, 9.6 pp
    East Surrey: 30.9pp, 40.3pp, 9.4 pp
    East Hampshire: 26.3pp, 34.6pp, 8.3 pp
    South East Cambridgeshire: 10.3pp, 17.8pp, 7.5 pp
    Chichester: 28pp, 35.1pp, 7.1 pp
    Arundel and South Downs: 29.8pp, 36.7pp, 6.9 pp
    Newbury: 20.9pp, 26.7pp, 5.8 pp
    Sevenoaks: 35.4pp, 40.9pp, 5.4 pp
    Woking: 12.9pp, 18.1pp, 5.2 pp
    Maidenhead: 31.2pp, 33.4pp, 2.2 pp
    Epsom and Ewell: 29.4pp, 30.1pp, 0.7 pp
    Surrey Heath: 31.8pp, 31.3pp, -0.5 pp
    North East Hampshire: 35.1pp, 34.1pp, -1 pp
    Windsor: 38.4pp, 37.4pp, -1.1 pp
    Chesham and Amersham: 31.9pp, 29.1pp, -2.7 pp
    Winchester: 5.5pp, 1.7pp, -3.8 pp
    Tunbridge Wells: 31pp, 26.8pp, -4.2 pp
    Wantage: 24.1pp, 18.8pp, -5.2 pp
    Henley: 31pp, 23.9pp, -7.1 pp
    Mole Valley: 28.8pp, 21.1pp, -7.7 pp
    Guildford: 14pp, 5.7pp, -8.3 pp
    South Cambridgeshire: 13.3pp, 4.3pp, -8.9 pp
    Wokingham: 24.7pp, 11.9pp, -12.8 pp
    South West Surrey: 28.5pp, 14.6pp, -13.9 pp
    Witney: 39.4pp, 24.8pp, -14.6 pp
    Hitchin and Harpenden: 27.9pp, 11.7pp, -16.2 pp
    Wimbledon: 24.1pp, 1.2pp, -22.9 pp
    Esher and Walton: 34.1pp, 4.3pp, -29.7 pp

Lots of commuter belt seats in the middle of that lot.

Epsom and Ewell probably the most similar to Chesham and Amersham in terms of how the seat has changed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277
    Excellent piece. It brought memories of the heady early days of the SDP in particular where by elections were so crucial to getting attention between elections (where we were thrashed). The recent death of Shirley Williams had already had me thinking quite a lot about that time when a political party that was serious and realistic about economics but also focused on making a difference for those less advantaged seemed within reach.

Alas, it was not to be and the closest we ever got, in my estimation, was the Coalition government of Cameron and Clegg. That got me interested in politics again after a fairly extended period of disillusionment. The last decade has certainly been eventful. I rather hope, despite the lack of betting opportunities that would arise that the next decade is less so.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

Con 50%

Lab 33%

Does Jimmy White still have nightmares about that black off the spot in 1994?
    If Steve Davis ever wishes to forget about the black in the final frame in 1985, it's of course been memorialised in song.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,216

I'm not so sure.

He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.

100% true - Labour are the AND party. You have to believe in this AND this AND this AND this to be a member and if you disagree or waver on any part of the dogma you are a TRAITOR. The Tories are the OR party - you can be on board if you support this OR this OR this etc.

The Tories have the exact same issues as you described. Stick Jacob Rees-Mogg into the red wall and tell me they are the same. The difference is that the Tories are happy to celebrate their differences and Labour persecute them. I think part of this is their belief in universalism - one set of standards to apply to everyone.

How does this change? It doesn't. Unless they can find another Tony Blair whose personal charisma can make people set aside the dogma then frankly they are finished as a national party. Too many Labour activists are literally a gestalt entity with the party dogma - they can't change. So they need at least two parties if not three to replace them.

Starmer fails because people can see right through his insincerity. He put up with a whole load of hard left crap he disagreed with yet still claimed this was on his agenda when running for leader. He doesn't believe in half the dogma and the loons can see straight through him on one side and the normals can see straight through him from the other side.
  • Options

I'm not so sure.

He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.

Jess Phillips is a Brummy not a Northerner either, but is regarded as one by the Metropolitan Londoners who perceive anything outside of the M25 as the Here Be Dragons North. She would have made a far better leader than Keir, and the fact she was so unacceptable to the Metropolitan London membership to even be considered shows what is wrong with Labour.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

My friends in red have already messaged me about the Pools poll. "exactly as we said a month ago. Tories would have taken the seat in 2019 had Brexit not split their vote. The lion share of their vote is going Tory".

What is truly sad is that Labour on Teesside are about to get smashed in the by-election, the mayoral and the PCC elections. And yet so many of my former colleagues - all sensible centre-left - will still fail to see that THEY are the problem.

For too many long-standing Labour activists in the region, they see their right to be in power as absolute. The Tories destroyed industry and the Tories will get the blame. Except that the economy has changed, people have changed and that just isn't true any more.

Nailed it.
    The surprising thing is that the Conservatives got the blame for the decline in heavy industry which happened across the developed world from 1970 for so long. It didn't hang around the necks of governing parties in, say, France and America decades later.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

No shit!
    Didn’t we cover this last time? We can’t just explain away polls we don't like.

The worry for Labour must be that if this is the result in Red Wall seats then they’re going to have to do a lot better elsewhere.
    Yes I thought this was an issue but TSE explained that the pollsters call mobiles nowadays and get the numbers and post codes direct from the phone companies.
  • Options
    This is pure Trumpian politics from the Tory party.

https://twitter.com/Jamesdbaker1/status/1389312069124591616
  • Options

I'm not so sure.

He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.

Jess Phillips is a Brummy not a Northerner either, but is regarded as one by the Metropolitan Londoners who perceive anything outside of the M25 as the Here Be Dragons North. She would have made a far better leader than Keir, and the fact she was so unacceptable to the Metropolitan London membership to even be considered shows what is wrong with Labour.
    Whoever Labour choose will upset the other wing of the party.. delicious innit!! So easy to portray Labour as riven by division.

What will do for the Tories is sleaze and being in power fir too long, but we haven't got there yet...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Pulpstar said:

Labour in real trouble in the north if the Hartlepool poll is anywhere near reality.
    Stuff like Barnsley East, one of the Hull seats and Miliband's seat would go lol

All 3 Sunderland seats could be in play. However, I'm still sceptical.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Bring on Angela Rayner, who is a far more deft and sophisticated politician than often perceived.

If Rayner is their last best hope then they really are in trouble. She is absolutely authentic, and speaks of the life opportunities that were given to her by the Blair governments. The problem is that her political ideology is the opposite. Instead of prosperity and aspiration and building consensus her politics are exclusive and excluding and marginalising.

Labour need to speak to and for normals. People who speak like Angela Rayner who aren't interested in class or the bosses or benefits. The problem is that so many of them are incapable of doing so - the unions really don't help here.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Nailed it.
    The surprising thing is that the Conservatives got the blame for the decline in heavy industry which happened across the developed world from 1970 for so long. It didn't hang around the necks of governing parties in, say, France and America decades later.
    The US coalmines are still around - albeit reduced but courted heavily by Trump
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Excellent piece. It brought memories of the heady early days of the SDP in particular where by elections were so crucial to getting attention between elections (where we were thrashed). The recent death of Shirley Williams had already had me thinking quite a lot about that time when a political party that was serious and realistic about economics but also focused on making a difference for those less advantaged seemed within reach.

Alas, it was not to be and the closest we ever got, in my estimation, was the Coalition government of Cameron and Clegg. That got me interested in politics again after a fairly extended period of disillusionment. The last decade has certainly been eventful. I rather hope, despite the lack of betting opportunities that would arise that the next decade is less so.

We? Were you an SDPer?

I had you down as a liberal Tory like myself.
  • Options
    felix said:

Pulpstar said:

If the Pools by-election shows that most of the BXP voters switch to the Tories then yes. And why not - most of Greater Sunderland is comfortably middle class now.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    On topic, excellent header. By-elections are strange things, and I've never been tempted to look on them as meaning anything for the national political picture, which is what counts. If they did, we'd be a Lib Dem country with Labour a distant second and the Tories nowhere. But, like mid-term opinion polls, they give political betters and obsessives something to focus on when you have a government with a working majority.

And Hartlepool and the English locals will mean a lot less than the English locals or the London mayor that happen on the same day - the former is a much wider poll, and the latter has some executive powers.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Nailed it.
    It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it...
  • Options
    felix said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunderland is a university town along with Middlesborough. I think they will be much more resilient.
  • Options

I'm not so sure.

He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.
    He's not a northerner.

100% true - Labour are the AND party. You have to believe in this AND this AND this AND this to be a member and if you disagree or waver on any part of the dogma you are a TRAITOR. The Tories are the OR party - you can be on board if you support this OR this OR this etc.

The Tories have the exact same issues as you described. Stick Jacob Rees-Mogg into the red wall and tell me they are the same. The difference is that the Tories are happy to celebrate their differences and Labour persecute them. I think part of this is their belief in universalism - one set of standards to apply to everyone.

How does this change? It doesn't. Unless they can find another Tony Blair whose personal charisma can make people set aside the dogma then frankly they are finished as a national party. Too many Labour activists are literally a gestalt entity with the party dogma - they can't change. So they need at least two parties if not three to replace them.

Starmer fails because people can see right through his insincerity. He put up with a whole load of hard left crap he disagreed with yet still claimed this was on his agenda when running for leader. He doesn't believe in half the dogma and the loons can see straight through him on one side and the normals can see straight through him from the other side.
    Well said.

Notably there's one individual Tory on this site who acts on an AND basis, calling other Tories like myself "not real Tories". I call him a Blue Corbynite for that reason.

That attitude that dominates much of the left were only the pure of thought are tolerated is corrosive. It is the zealotry of religion not politics, were heretics are considered a greater evil than heathens.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Many thanks to Anthony Broxton for an excellent header and more generally for running the fascinating Labour History twitter account. Shows the rest of us up for the enthusiastic amateurs we are compared to his rigour and research.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277

DavidL said:

We? Were you an SDPer?

I had you down as a liberal Tory like myself.
    Yes, I was a founder member of the SDP in my University days and subsequently area party secretary for Dundee and Angus for my sins. My journey to the dark side came later when that youthful naivety got burned away after the SDP joined up with the Lib Dems. It was somewhat stalled by some pretty unpleasant Tory policies as Blair pushed them to the margins but was completed by the accession of Cameron.
  • Options

Foxy said:

If Rayner is their last best hope then they really are in trouble. She is absolutely authentic, and speaks of the life opportunities that were given to her by the Blair governments. The problem is that her political ideology is the opposite. Instead of prosperity and aspiration and building consensus her politics are exclusive and excluding and marginalising.

Labour need to speak to and for normals. People who speak like Angela Rayner who aren't interested in class or the bosses or benefits. The problem is that so many of them are incapable of doing so - the unions really don't help here.
    But this is just how political parties work isn't it? To be a candidate you have to put in your 20 years of schmoozing and you become out of touch along the way.
This discussion has been closed.