Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The screen-grab from the BBC’s LE2017 coverage that sets out the huge challenge for Johnson’s party

123457»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    TimT said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Of course a possible outcome in Scotland is SNP 60, Green 4, Alba 2 which would give Nicola a majority when she could rely on Salmond. Totally disastrous for the country of course but the LOLs would be notable.

We could all use some LOLs.
    It's utterly grisly now, isn't it?

And I know I bang on about the weather, but this sense of mounting frustration really is partly to do with the weather. Sitting outside a pub in 9C and light rain is just Not Fun, no matter how great it is that they are open. That's if you can get in a beer garden without booking 5 days ahead.

The lockdown PLUS relentless cold and now rain, is a cup of cold sick with a side order of bile.

Enough
    Go out to somewhere you haven't been before and see something new.

There's plenty of Britain between the twee and the wild.
    I fucking hate Britain. Break it up, it's done. Stupid shitty island with "chips for tea"

As soon as they open the borders - Va-da-fucking-boom. I'm bugging out for the sun and I won't come back to Plague Island until mid 2023, earliest
    So you're going to wallow restlessly in your flat filled with self-pity.

Do something constructive, go somewhere new, achieve something, learn something.

Open your mind and the world will open to you.
    No, I feel better now. Having vented.

Now I shall fuel myself with a double-shot espresso and get down to my flints. There is work to do. Later
    Here's a nice big one for you to get your teeth (metaphorically) into:

https://www.flint-paramoudra.com/paramoudra.html
    Today's new word for me: "paramoudra"
    Looking forward to a professional telling us whether proto-flint is shite - or the ultimate premium product.....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Sarwar does reasonably well:

On a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is completely distrust" and 10 is "completely trust"
    10-6/5/4-0 (Net)
    Sarwar: 31 / 15 / 37
    Ross: 20 / 11 / 52
  • Options
    To the best of your knowledge, which of the following statements is correct?
    OA (SNP GE2019 vote) %
    Scotland sends more to Westminster in taxes than it receives in spending: 39 (65)

Scotland receives more in spending than it sends in taxes to Westminster: 40 (19)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

@Foxy asked earlier if the currency question was simply a proxy for "independence" - it seems not:

On a scale of 1-5 where 1 is not favourable at all and 5 is very favourable, how favourable would you be towards the following currency options if Scotland becomes independent?

Keep the pound indefinitely:

Rating '5' 'very favourable'
    2019 GE vote:
    Con: 63
    Lab: 59
    LibD: 45
    SNP: 40

While the SNP has been gloriously vague on their currency plans, their logic would be to:

Keep the pound until a new Scottish currency is adopted and later join the euro:
    Rating '5' 'very favourable'
    2019 GE vote:
    Con: 6
    Lab: 9
    LibD: 4
    SNP: 25

The idea that the Scots will have a choice about this is ludicrous.
    They can keep the pound and go bust.
    They can have their own currency and go bust.
    They can adopt the Euro on astonishgly bad terms.

Being the awkward mob for centuries is going to come back to haunt them. Admittedly the EU did embrace Ireland, and have gone on to subsidise it at enormous cost to more obvious Europeans. That was clearly just to piss off the UK though.

At some point the poor Italians or similar communities will work out that they've been sidelined for stupid political reasons.

• Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

A clear plurality of SNP voters think the UK government will pay their pension after independence, in contrast only 29% of Con or Lab voters do:

Q11: Which of these statements best describes your understanding of what would happen to state pensions if Scotland was independent? Total Base (SNP)

If Scotland became independent, I would still receive a UK state pension paid for by the UK Government, based on my NI contributions before independence.: 33% (43%)

If Scotland became independent, I would no longer receive a UK state pension paid for by the UK Government, and would instead receive whatever state pension the Scottish Government provided.: 36% (33%)

Probably because of this:

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Scott_xP said:

One of my brothers in law did that about 30 years ago. Flew out to Germany to pick up a new 3 Series. Was right hand drive too.

When I was in the US, BMW had a deal where you would fly to the factory to "collect" your car, drive it around for a week on temporary plates, return it to the factory where they would then ship it to the US at a massive discount.
    Drive it around for a week, with a special emphasis on a certain one way toll road, by any chance? :)
This discussion has been closed.