Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The screen-grab from the BBC’s LE2017 coverage that sets out the huge challenge for Johnson’s party

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2021 in General
imageThe screen-grab from the BBC’s LE2017 coverage that sets out the huge challenge for Johnson’s party on Thursday – politicalbetting.com

As we know local elections are scheduled for every May with a different set of seats coming up each year on a four year cycle. So this year we have those that were last contested in 2017 as well as 2016 when COVID prevented elections being held,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    edited May 2021
    Ist of all. Lets agree that ending was shite
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Second!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Second!

Rate as in LoD finale?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183

Well, that is at least an original beginning even if it was a shite ending.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    1 Green leaflet and 5 from the Lib Dems. Nothing from the Tories and Labour.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You are the 4th man!!

And I claim my licence fee back
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    On the topic of good or bad TV endings, the best has to be the finale of M*A*S*H
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You are the 4th man!!

And I claim my licence fee back
    I always said I was Orson, but it seems I have to pick up Cotten.

Not going too well for Murphy right now. 3-1 to Selby since the mid-session interval and even when he gets a chance he’s twitchy. He needs a mess up from Selby here.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Defanately the finale?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

Just done a quick vaccine count calculation - by the end of May we'll reach 81-83% of adults with one dose and 50% of adults with two doses, that's with no increase in vaccine supply. Assuming the MHRA ever get around to approving Novavax that 81-83% becomes more like 87-89% leaving just 7-8% needing first doses (around one week of supply in June). By the time we hit June 21st everyone who wants a vaccine will have had a first dose and by the end of July every single person will have had both doses except a few unlucky people who get AZ in the next two to three weeks.

Surely those who get AZ in the next few weeks could have their 2nd dose early (though not really early versus the original plan) once there are no more first doses to give?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

On the plus side, it leaves open the posibility of series 7.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

On the topic of good or bad TV endings, the best has to be the finale of M*A*S*H

Life on Mars is another cracking finale.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599
    On topic, forget the change in council seats, look at the national equivalent vote share.

The media will fixate on the former, but the latter is what shows us the state of the parties.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,185
    As I have posted on here previously I don't expect CON to do anything on Thur.

As Mike has pointed out above we did very well in 2017, and we would be expected to go backwards.

Also not expecting anything in London, Wales or Scotland.

But there's 3 years to the GE, we have an 80 Maj and the pressure is all on the other parties. 👍
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Just done a quick vaccine count calculation - by the end of May we'll reach 81-83% of adults with one dose and 50% of adults with two doses, that's with no increase in vaccine supply. Assuming the MHRA ever get around to approving Novavax that 81-83% becomes more like 87-89% leaving just 7-8% needing first doses (around one week of supply in June). By the time we hit June 21st everyone who wants a vaccine will have had a first dose and by the end of July every single person will have had both doses except a few unlucky people who get AZ in the next two to three weeks.

MaxPB said:

Surely those who get AZ in the next few weeks could have their 2nd dose early (though not really early versus the original plan) once there are no more first doses to give?
    There are clinical reasons to delay the second AZ dose to 12 weeks. Someone who gets AZ at the end of May will need to wait until the middle of August for their second dose. However, it does seem like the MHRA are about to remove that option by limiting AZ for under 40s as well, I assume we will get Novavax approved around the same time which only needs a minimum 3 week gap for 96% efficacy.
  • Options
    Wow.

What a pot that was.

Not a millimetre to spare either way and it never even brushed the edge.

Shame about the blue.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Jonathan said:

Defanately the finale?
    Definately not.
  • Options
    Can we all agree the worst ending ever was the one to Enterprise?

If this LoD ending was worse than that, it must have been bad.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    ydoethur said:

Wow.

What a pot that was.

Shame about the blue.

Hang on. Thought it was 8 frames tonight.
    I take it they are still playing?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There are clinical reasons to delay the second AZ dose to 12 weeks. Someone who gets AZ at the end of May will need to wait until the middle of August for their second dose. However, it does seem like the MHRA are about to remove that option by limiting AZ for under 40s as well, I assume we will get Novavax approved around the same time which only needs a minimum 3 week gap for 96% efficacy.
    Other countries are not using a 12 week gap for AZ. I entirely support the UK's decision to do so, but I think the primary driver was the laudible desire to get as many 1st doses given as quickly as possible*.

(*Tony Blair's idea, I believe https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-tony-blair-suggests-using-up-uk-vaccine-stock-on-first-doses-and-prioritising-spreading-students-12171116)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Wow.

What a pot that was.

Shame about the blue.

Hang on. Thought it was 8 frames tonight.
    I take it they are still playing?
    As of last year (I think) they play nine in the first evening. So 17 on the first day.

I had forgotten this earlier when I said it might be 10-6.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341

IanB2 said:

Second!

Rate as in LoD finale?
    Trouble with LoD is they built up H as running the OCG for most of the series but the logic was always that H was just a senior copper being paid by the OCG(s). In dramatic terms, the pacing seemed a bit off. I think someone said the last two episodes were re-edited from a 90-minute finale, which might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Other countries are not using a 12 week gap for AZ. I entirely support the UK's decision to do so, but I think the primary driver was the laudible desire to get as many 1st doses given as quickly as possible*.

(*Tony Blair's idea, I believe https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-tony-blair-suggests-using-up-uk-vaccine-stock-on-first-doses-and-prioritising-spreading-students-12171116)
    Most countries have shifted AZ to 12 weeks following clinical advice from AZ showing over 90% efficacy using the 12 week dosing regime vs about 62% with 4 weeks. Most European countries have shifted over for AZ, India are doing 12 weeks for it and Canada are doing 16 weeks.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

As I have posted on here previously I don't expect CON to do anything on Thur.

As Mike has pointed out above we did very well in 2017, and we would be expected to go backwards.

Also not expecting anything in London, Wales or Scotland.

But there's 3 years to the GE, we have an 80 Maj and the pressure is all on the other parties. 👍

Oh dear, basic downplaying expectation management so if there's a good result, you can say how "surprised" you are that "we" are doing so well.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Most countries have shifted AZ to 12 weeks following clinical advice from AZ showing over 90% efficacy using the 12 week dosing regime vs about 62% with 4 weeks. Most European countries have shifted over for AZ, India are doing 12 weeks for it and Canada are doing 16 weeks.

Ok fair enough - I stand corrected.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I don't know tha

Not seen it. But Blackadder has to be up there, no?
    Yes I'd put that up there too.

That's probably my second favourite.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065
    edited May 2021
    Boris needs to end up as a net winner to steady his party’s nerves.

I think you're taking expectations management to silly levels.

If we look at the national equivalent vote shares at similar stages then:

1976 Opposition leads by 10%?
    1981 Opposition leads by 3%
    1985 Opposition leads by 7%
    1989 Opposition leads by 6%
    1994 Opposition leads by 12%
    1999 Government leads by 2%
    2003 Opposition leads by 5%
    2007 Opposition leads by 14%
    2012 Opposition leads by 6%
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

I thought GoT was the worst ending (last entire season) ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The Night Manager had a great finale.

Though the 1999 Champions League has to be the best ever final finale.
  • Options
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Enterprise is worse.

Albeit most of the series was pretty shit, so it may be not many people noticed.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301

Cyclefree said:

I don't know tha

What about the ending of 'It Ain't Half Hot, Mum'? That brought a tear to my eye!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Enterprise is worse.

Albeit most of the series was pretty shit, so it may be not many people noticed.
    I never got into Enterprise, so I never saw the ending.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

The penultimate season was pretty crap as well.

The TV series lost its way when it got ahead of the books.

Though I doubt Martin knows how to end it either.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Defanately the finale?
    Definately not.
    One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was learn how to spell 'finite'. Much correct spelling follows.
  • Options
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Enterprise is worse.

I never got into Enterprise, so I never saw the ending.
    You didn’t miss too much.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,516
    Apropos of nothing, I’m just having a moan, after my first jab yesterday, AZ, I’ve felt like crap all day today. Light-headed, fuzzy brained, niggling headache. Been absolutely useless all day. My parents, in their 60s, both had AZ and they were fine apart from a bit of a sore arm so I thought I’d fly through it. But not so. Hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My dose yesterday was AZ, I'm guessing that means second dose won't be possible before 11 weeks from now? So about end of July?

Side effects wise I've had a splitting headache and sore arm. Hopefully that passes tomorrow.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

My dose yesterday was AZ, I'm guessing that means second dose won't be possible before 11 weeks from now? So about end of July?

Side effects wise I've had a splitting headache and sore arm. Hopefully that passes tomorrow.
    Had mine yesterday, second dose booked for 17th July. I feel crappy too!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It absolutely *wasn’t* Tony Blair’s idea

Hancock briefed him on it as an idea his department had come up with and he was considering. He asked Blair’s opinion.

Blair then ran and brief the media about his wonderful idea.

Hancock was so pissed off that he ceased all briefing of Blair

It was extraordinary poor behaviour by a former PM
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited May 2021

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Presumably why he's essentially stopped writing it. I'd not be surprised if he's trying to rewrite things that were always intended, and so put in the show, but since people didn't like he's trying to work around it.

I will still defend the later seasons. There were genuine issues particularly with the last season which for some reason they cut down to only 6 episodes when, I'd argue, what they sought to do needed more time, but I still think many of the major elements which some people hated stand up and make sense within the overall arc of things, with admittedly some elements seemingly being more poor attempt at defying expectation. But the big Dany arc which for me is the heart of the show ended up pretty much exactly where I thought it was always setting up for, from the very early seasons. They just rushed the fall from grace which was always coming.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

IanB2 said:

Second!

Rate as in LoD finale?
    It could have been worse. There was a major twist and a couple of smaller ones. It got the story mostly wrapped up, and managed to find time for some action/suspense and an interview, even if neither of these were up to the standard of previous ones. It’s main fault was the way in which years of work was supposedly wrapped up in a day or two.

Endings often seem to happen very quickly, as the writers stop laying the clues and the misdirections and suddenly somebody spills the beans and everything is revealed.

As someone said above, there are few good endings. With US series this doesn’t matter as anyone who has stuck it through to the end of series eleven will clearly put up with anything. For European series I thought The Bureau ending was very good. And bravely created as well.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/donie/status/1388604679517573121

70% of Republicans don't think Biden won the election....

• Options

Cyclefree said:

I don't know tha

What about the ending of 'It Ain't Half Hot, Mum'? That brought a tear to my eye!
    Problems with a vaccine shortage?
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hancock briefed him on it as an idea his department had come up with and he was considering. He asked Blair’s opinion.

I was teasing.

I am rather surprised Hancock spoke to Blair about the idea though. I would not have expected any contact at all between any member of the current cabinet and Blair.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Apropos of nothing, I’m just having a moan, after my first jab yesterday, AZ, I’ve felt like crap all day today. Light-headed, fuzzy brained, niggling headache. Been absolutely useless all day. My parents, in their 60s, both had AZ and they were fine apart from a bit of a sore arm so I thought I’d fly through it. But not so. Hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow.

That was me too. Good news for you and @Philip_Thompson. I was all better in the morning.
    However, was fatigued for a week. Everything 50% more tiring. Though nowt impossible.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I was teasing.

I am rather surprised Hancock spoke to Blair about the idea though. I would not have expected any contact at all between any member of the current cabinet and Blair.
    All former PMs are entitled to briefing on Privy Counsellor terms & are expected to offer their advice
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Had mine yesterday, second dose booked for 17th July. I feel crappy too!

Well done both. Hopefully you'll both be feeling better tomorrow. Mrs P felt ill for 36 hours, then right as rain. I had no ill effects at all.
  • Options
    Of course, most tv shows, like political careers, don't end when the creators plan, so it makes sense they end up being crap. If someone, show or leader, does choose the end endpoint and it still is crap, that's so much worse.

Babylon 5 had the opposite problem of course - it thought it was ending and so rushed what would have been a brilliant ending to the major plotlines, but then kept going.

Person of Interest ended pretty well
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Defanately the finale?
    Definately not.
    One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was learn how to spell 'finite'. Much correct spelling follows.

It's not the spelling of definite that's the issue, it's the pronounciation.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Second!

Rate as in LoD finale?
    It could have been worse. There was a major twist and a couple of smaller ones. It got the story mostly wrapped up, and managed to find time for some action/suspense and an interview.
    Reminds me a bit of the game LA Noire, a large focus of which was interrogating suspects and presenting clues. I recall a criticism being the game ended with ridiculous shootout action when for the type of game it was it should have ended with a really difficult interrogation sequence.

Feels like a proper LoD ending would have been an hour long interview scene

Granted, that is essentially what the Netflix show Criminal is (and is quite good).

And of course the best episode of The Thick of It was the public inquiry episode.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Second!

Rate as in LoD finale?
    It could have been worse. There was a major twist and a couple of smaller ones. It got the story mostly wrapped up, and managed to find time for some action/suspense and an interview, even if neither of these were up to the standard of previous ones. It’s main fault was the way in which years of work was supposedly wrapped up in a day or two.

Endings often seem to happen very quickly, as the writers stop laying the clues and the misdirections and suddenly somebody spills the beans and everything is revealed.

As someone said above, there are few good endings. With US series this doesn’t matter as anyone who has stuck it through to the end of series eleven will clearly put up with anything. For European series I thought The Bureau ending was very good. And bravely created as well.
    The problem is multi-threaded stories, because in real life stories usually end one at a time. Successful plays are about one person, Agamemnon or Hamlet or whoever, not about multiple dynasties.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Defanately the finale?
    Definately not.

It's not the spelling of definite that's the issue, it's the pronounciation.
    I think it's more that the English language is the problem, the these are just consequences.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

Of course, most tv shows, like political careers, don't end when the creators plan, so it makes sense they end up being crap. If someone, show or leader, does choose the end endpoint and it still is crap, that's so much worse.

Babylon 5 had the opposite problem of course - it thought it was ending and so rushed what would have been a brilliant ending to the major plotlines, but then kept going.

The worst ones are the US ones where you can't tell if it was definitely intended as a cliffhanger for the next new series, or a rush salvage job to try and tie up some threads when they've realised they've been cancelled and they aren't coming back.

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, I'm looking at you.
    Also Jericho, although they did eventually bring it back for a second (short) season, if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Extraordinarily naive behaviour to confide in Blair and expect him not to use it to his advantage.
  • Options

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Perhaps great series should be like those pieces of Greek art where bits were deliberately left out so that the viewer creates the perfect whole with their own imagination.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I was teasing.

All former PMs are entitled to briefing on Privy Counsellor terms & are expected to offer their advice
    'Briefing on Privy Counsellor terms' would surely not cover such a detailed point of implementation?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Floater said:

https://twitter.com/donie/status/1388604679517573121

70% of Republicans don't think Biden won the election....

And I know people who still think Arsenal are a serious football club...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599

Shows that your body is doing its thing in response to the pseudo infection. Most folk seem to have side effects for around a day - longest I've heard is 3 days.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The worst ones are the US ones where you can't tell if it was definitely intended as a cliffhanger for the next new series, or a rush salvage job to try and tie up some threads when they've realised they've been cancelled and they aren't coming back.

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, I'm looking at you.
    Also Jericho, although they did eventually bring it back for a second (short) season, if I remember rightly.
    They did, after fans sent thousands of nuts to the studio in protest. It was a pretty darn good short second season actually.

The actual worse as The 4400, which I quite liked, which was renewed for a final season, but then there was a writer's strike, and it got cancelled. I even bought the novelisations that were released to tie things up (which they didn't really).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Extraordinarily naive behaviour to confide in Blair and expect him not to use it to his advantage.
    Why was Blair involved to begin with? I know Michael Gove refers to him as 'The Master'. Is he now some kind of guru for the whole government?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,952
    The extended second dose was a brilliant idea by Tony Blair
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    edited May 2021

Hi Northern, you aren't a physics teacher are you?

Just asking.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I see the winner of the Tamil Nadu state elections is called Stalin - apparently named thus in honour of the Russian leader before the Cold War started after WW2. Like Germans called Adolf by enthusiastic 1940s parents, he must have had embarassing moments, though he is apparently grew up to be a mild-mannered regionalist social democrat. i think I'd have changed my name in his shoes, but perhaps voters there aren't that bothered.

Incidentally, I reently changed computers, and before getting my new one used to finding politicalbetting.com, it persistently offered me what looks like a spam site, telling me I've won something or other. Do the moderators know about it?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,559
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I was teasing.

Interesting, and on the whole positive.

Wonder IF they could have a seance to brief and consult Sir Robert Walpole, Pitt Elder & Younger, Disraeli, Gladstone, Lloyd George, Churchill, Atlee, Macmillan, Wilson, Thatcher?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

I think the American version of House of Cards was even worse.

Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy on the other hand - great endings.
  • Options

I see the winner of the Tamil Nadu state elections is called Stalin - apparently named thus in honour of the Russian leader before the Cold War started after WW2. Like Germans called Adolf by enthusiastic 1940s parents, he must have had embarassing moments, though he is apparently grew up to be a mild-mannered regionalist social democrat. i think I'd have changed my name in his shoes, but perhaps voters there aren't that bothered.

Incidentally, I reently changed computers, and before getting my new one used to finding politicalbetting.com, it persistently offered me what looks like a spam site, telling me I've won something or other. Do the moderators know about it?

Maybe he retained Stalin because the lady's like it? Does convey sense of strength!
  • Options
    On topic, I think the Conservatives are more sophisticated than OGH gives them credit for - most know that 2016 was an amazing result, and the NEV is what counts for predicting national elections. So I don't think it will make much difference, especially as we're three years out.
  • Options

Hi Northern, you aren't a physics teacher are you?

Just asking.
    :smiley:
    No mate.
  • Options
    Re: ends of TV shows - if you do NOT like the ones that got produced WHY NOT try your hand at something better? If not as actual production, at least as thought experiment.

Personally have my own final episode for Frasier, where the protagonist wakes up screaming in his bed, and realizes that the last few seasons that actually got made and aired were all a horrible bad dream (which they were).

And that he and his brother have been confined for the entire time in the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla. Which turns out to be a MUCH more pleasant existence than either staring in the final years of Frasier. Or watching them for that matter.
  • Options

Poor outcome for Modi. In many ways.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

In Namibia last year Adolf Hitler was elected. There once was a Zimbabwean General called Hitler too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-55173605
  • Options
    Fishing said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

The American version of House of Cards was total craaaaaaaap. An extraordinarily slooooooow moving piece of crap. From beginning to end (did it, or did they just pull the plug when what's his name went splat?)

Another copy-cat piece of crap was American version of The Office. Some decent actors (not Steve Carrel obviously) wasted (and not in a good way) by lousy writing.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Poor outcome for Modi. In many ways.
    Do NOT vote for Putinists! Even when you THINK you've got a good excuse.
  • Options
    Believe this thread is losing it's way . . . we MUST return to the burning question of Heligoland!

My own theory is that extreme pro-Cornish independence elements burrowing in the bowls of the Foreign Office were responsible for Lord Stanley's treachery (likely unconscious but still unconscionable!)
  • Options

Fishing said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

The American version of House of Cards was total craaaaaaaap. An extraordinarily slooooooow moving piece of crap. From beginning to end (did it, or did they just pull the plug when what's his name went splat?)

Another copy-cat piece of crap was American version of The Office. Some decent actors (not Steve Carrel obviously) wasted (and not in a good way) by lousy writing.
    I don't agree about the US House of Cards. Seasons 1, 4 and 5 were pretty action-packed. 2 and 3 were too slow though. And yes there was way too much pointless padding and above all much too much of his wife. But when they fired Spacey, there was no reason to watch the rest of it

I never liked the English version of the Office so have never watched the American one.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

I don't agree about the US House of Cards. Seasons 1, 4 and 5 were pretty action-packed. 2 and 3 were too slow though. And yes there was way too much pointless padding and above all much too much of his wife. But when they fired Spacey, there was no reason to watch the rest of it

I never liked the English version of the Office so have never watched the American one.
    The American version of HoC was highly derivative. So much so, that part of it made no sense, because they were really about British politics. The producers apparently did NOT grasp the differences.

Compared to West Wing, it was like a carthorse next to a Cadillac.

At least what I saw and heard of it. Could be wrong. But that was my strong impression, and also of at least some others I know in US politics.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

I thought the first four seasons were complex and interesting. The next two were at least cheesy fun, if riddled with plot holes. The last two were a mess, bad fanfiction. Characters became plot devices, and things established in canon were changed at whim, to serve the needs of the plot.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

I thought the first four seasons were complex and interesting. The next two were at least cheesy fun, if riddled with plot holes. The last two were a mess, bad fanfiction. Characters became plot devices, and things established in canon were changed at whim, to serve the needs of the plot.
    Not really sure when I saw what I saw, or my friends either. Am glad you liked it, what you liked. And like fact we do NOT have to like the same thing to like chatting about what we do and don't like.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

A bad, or very bad 24 hours seems to be quite common - but also common to have little reaction.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

I don’t really agree - and in some ways a bathetic ending works quite well.
    The problem was more the quality of this season compared to earlier ones, well expressed in this Guardian review (which uncharacteristically, and refreshingly criticises agitprop):
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/may/02/line-of-duty-review-an-audacious-deranged-reverse-ferreting-finale
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,566
    "Limits on international leisure travel should continue even after 17 May, a cross-party group of MPs has warned.

The All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on coronavirus has told the government to "discourage all international leisure travel" to protect the UK from COVID-19 variants. The group said that airport arrival halls are a "breeding ground for infection" and the importation of variants could lead to "further lockdowns and inevitably further loss of life".

Lib Dem MP Layla Moran, who chairs the APPG, said: "It is staggering that the government is even contemplating encouraging overseas holidays when airports are already struggling to keep the virus and new variants at bay. "Urgent measures are needed to better detect fake COVID test certificates, reduce overcrowding in arrival halls and separate those arriving from red and amber list countries. "The country's biosecurity cannot rely on border staff spotting a spelling error.""

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mps-urge-ministers-to-maintain-ban-on-foreign-holidays-after-17-may-amid-variant-fears-12293772
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A bad, or very bad 24 hours seems to be quite common - but also common to have little reaction.
    My own sainted mother used to tell me, that if medicine tasted / felt / smelled bad, then it MUST be working!

• Options

Nigelb said:

My own sainted mother used to tell me, that if medicine tasted / felt / smelled bad, then it MUST be working!

Onetime chancellor of the exchequer John Major was perhaps echoing his mother, then ?
    If it isn't hurting, it isn't working.
  • Options
    What do you make of the US Republican version of “fuck business”, @SeaShantyIrish2 ?

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/551331-gop-wrestles-with-role-of-culture-wars-in-partys-future
    ...” Starting today, I no longer accept money from any corporate PAC. I urge my GOP colleagues to do the same. For too long, Republicans have allowed the left & their big-business allies to attack our values & ship jobs overseas with no response. No more,” Cruz tweeted on Wednesday.

That prompted an enthusiastic response from Hawley, who retweeted Cruz the following day.

“Yes! Corporate America has put Americans last. They ship our jobs to China, mock middle America’s way of life, try to control our speech and run our lives,” Hawley wrote. “It’s time we stood up to them. I won’t take corporate PAC donations & I’ll fight to break up their monopoly power.”

The bashing of corporations is striking a discordant tone with other Republicans at a time when they’re trying to marshal a unified defense against Biden’s plan to raise the corporate tax rate to 28 percent, from 21 percent, to pay for his infrastructure agenda.

“It’s repudiating a segment of the American economy and the American electorate that has traditionally been very loyal to the Republicans. It’s an amazing example of ideological shapeshifting to wage war along cultural lines,” said Ross K. Baker, professor of political science at Rutgers University and a former Senate fellow....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Who could possibly have expected it of Blair?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Who could possibly have expected it of Blair?
    Tony Blair, a two-faced snake. Really? ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure about that. According to my new guru Alan Duncan there is no one on the Tory benches more duplicitous than Hancock. He said explicitly you can't believe a word he says. He will do anything for advancement. Tony Blair by contrast is a politician of great skill and distinction. The fact Hancock is prepared to concern himself with glory hunting in the middle of the pandemic rather bears out Duncan's judgement. Blair wouldn't need to bother.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    ydoethur said:

Its the reason I never watch series week by week. I have not wasted hours watching a crap series ty all.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    Roger said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure about that. According to my new guru Alan Duncan there is no one on the Tory benches more duplicitous than Hancock. He said explicitly you can't believe a word he says. He will do anything for advancement. Tony Blair by contrast is a politician of great skill and distinction. The fact Hancock is prepared to concern himself with glory hunting in the middle of the pandemic rather bears out Duncan's judgement. Blair wouldn't need to bother.
    We all know how infallible your opinion on political matters is.....
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,144
    Fishing said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

For terrible endings Seinfeld is pretty much up,there. Although Larry David redeemed it somewhat with the Seinfeld reunion season of Curb your Enthusiam it was a colossal let down.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Fishing said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

For terrible endings Seinfeld is pretty much up,there. Although Larry David redeemed it somewhat with the Seinfeld reunion season of Curb your Enthusiam it was a colossal let down.
    What about Only Fools and Horses which ended about 16 times?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Even by @Charles's account, Hancock briefed Blair on a range of options being considered, and Blair advocated one of them.
  • Options

Roger said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Even by @Charles's account, Hancock briefed Blair on a range of options being considered, and Blair advocated one of them.
    I trust Hancock had the sense to immediately rule that option out and do something else?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I don't know tha

Yes, an excellent ending. Sgt Major Williams cut a rather pathetic figure stripped of all of his power over the men who couldn’t even be bothered to tell him what they thought of him athough they’d rehearsed it.

You Rang My Lord had a really good ending as well.

The ending of Blake’s Seven was a belter.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Why was Blair involved to begin with? I know Michael Gove refers to him as 'The Master'. Is he now some kind of guru for the whole government?
    Why not seek his advice. He held power for a long time. In his day he used to seek Mrs Thatchers views, as did Brown after him.

Makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.