Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We need to talk about antivaxxer GOPers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

🚨 BREAKING: Boris Johnson has announced that he will make sure the European Super League doesn’t go ahead as it stands #mufc #mujournal

If Boris can kill this he wins six terms

Has he really or is this a joke? Nothing on the news about him announcing that.
    https://twitter.com/mirrorbreaking_/status/1384082583965765632?s=21

BREAKING Boris Johnson vows to block plans for Super League 'by the elite, for the elite'

Boris detractors must be having a 'mare' today

Of all the stories that influences red wall voters this is the one and if he manages to stop or even moderate it he will be very popular indeed
    On the other hand, he's harking back to a model of football which is about what, 40 years out of date? Thanks largely to the rich and the elite which support the Tory Party. I can't quite see how he can reconcile those - and I'm not a footie enthusiast.
    The point is he is acting as ordinary football fans would want and this is happening just over 14 days from the biggest electoral test across the UK since the GE
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,807
    ‘Porto president Pinto da Costa has announced that the club said no to the European Super League.

FC Porto will NOT be part of the ESL.‘

The super league needs 3 more teams, as they’ve said. With the Germans refusing, and now the Portuguese, and with this overwhelming backlash, will they find them?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Fair play to Mourinho. I've been looking forwards to this day when he'd be sacked for almost two years. Now it's all just meaningless. If Klopp and Ole don't follow suit then it shows how meaningless their persona of being the people's champions really is. Rashford and other moralising footballers also need to take a stand, Kane is another one who needs to think long and hard about this move.

You do realise he hasn't walked out in protest, right? He's just been fired.

Again.
    He got sacked for refusing to take the players out for training and essentially telling them to go on strike aiui.
    Possible, although I would be surprised - his usual MO is to be sacked in such a way as to maximise his payoff, and committing gross misconduct doesn't fit that pattern.

Anyway, I can't find any reports of this anywhere in the mainstream news outlets, all of whom are convinced Levy pulled the plug due to performance issues. No doubt we'll find out over the coming days.
    We've got the league cup final this weekend, his first shot at silverware with Spurs. There's literally no way this happened over nothing and there's no way that the board would have sacked him in the run up to a cup final unless it was over something very serious.

People like you who support this bullshit is why football is the way it is.
    Simon Jordan reckons they wanted to sack him and didn’t want to risk him winning a trophy on Sunday.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799
    Didn't the "Arsenal" franchise leave its historic roots south of the river and relocate to more glamorous North London? They've got form for this sort of nonsense.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Johnson can do nothing.

These clubs are private property.

If the government starts getting involved, investors in Britain will start to wonder how safe their money is, and how strong Britain's commitment to the rights of the property owner are.

Very bad for inward investment.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Carnyx said:

Brom said:

Leon said:

🚨 BREAKING: Boris Johnson has announced that he will make sure the European Super League doesn’t go ahead as it stands #mufc #mujournal

Its politics4all with zero quotes. Nonsense from twitter until he adds to his initial statement.

Can't imagine he would act as fast as to say something like that anyway.
    Graun politics feed says:

Boris Johnson has also said the government will do everything it can to stop the European super league going ahead as currently proposed. He told reporters:

We are going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed.

I don’t think that it’s good news for fans, I don’t think it’s good news for football in this country ...

These clubs are not just great global brands - of course they’re great global brands - they’re also clubs that have originated historically from their towns, from their cities, from their local communities, they should have a link with those fans, and with the fan base in their community.

So it is very, very important that that continues to be the case. I don’t like the look of these proposals, and we’ll be consulted about what we can do.
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the penis in the hornet's nest metaphor.

Though Rochdale would suggest if anyone can be expected to stick it where it doesn't belong . . . 😉
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Leon said:

‘Porto president Pinto da Costa has announced that the club said no to the European Super League.

The super league needs 3 more teams, as they’ve said. With the Germans refusing, and now the Portuguese, and with this overwhelming backlash, will they find them?

I'm sure Celtic & Rangers would fancy a piece, but they're not exactly a global draw for Ali in Malaysiia.

Shaktar, Ajax, Napoli, Benfica? They'll soon be shopping in the super power bargain bin to make up the numbers.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    edited April 2021

Johnson can do nothing.

If the government starts getting involved, investors in Britain will start to wonder how safe their money is, and how strong Britain's commitment to the rights of the property owner are.

Rubbish. My house is "private property" and yet I can't turn it into a poison factory or a skyscraper without permission.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739

In fact please can Bruce also resign in protest?

Please...

Nice idea, but then we'd have to have some (albeit grudging) respect for him.

Although if he were tin-eared enough to resign in protest that Newcastle weren't included we'd be rid of him, and feeling very able to heap opprobrium on him for it. ;)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

BREAKING Boris Johnson vows to block plans for Super League 'by the elite, for the elite'

Of all the stories that influences red wall voters this is the one and if he manages to stop or even moderate it he will be very popular indeed
    The insinuations about improper contracts (but no evidence) might just fall off the horizon. I feel a lot of support for any party at the moment is soft, and that 7 to 14 point leads could evaporate between now an may elections.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sky News suggesting the government could refuse to allow police at games.

I guess they’d just fuck off abroad.

Not sure how many Police you'd need for a 50% capacity filled stadium with rich foreign tourists.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,582

Leon said:

Leon said:

Not sure I 100% agree Big G.
    What football team does yer archetypal red wall voter support? Hartlepool? Darlington? Wrexham? Burnley? West Brom?
    I'd say supporters of teams like this can actually take quite a relaxed view of what the big 6 are proposing. It's not their teams who are going off to join a pointless circus. Purely as a not-particularly-committed-any-more Stockport fan, I'm all in favour. Go on, big 6, clear off with your big money and your pointless overpaid megastars and leave proper football to the rest of us. We'd quite like football back to how it was before the Premier League came along.
    It's fans of teams like Spurs and Liverpool who are, quite rightly, pretty angry at this prospect. (I tread a tricky line here because my in-laws are all Spurs fans, and they care much more deeply about what happens to Spurs than I do about what happens to Stockport.)
    Of course, this is a massive over-simplification - there are fans of big teams in small towns too, and there are fans of small teams who object to the proposals on principle, even if losing the big six gave their own team a better chance of winning.
    But it's also an oversimplification to think that everyone is opposed to this. The majority, I would suggest, don't care. Caring about football is, I think, still a minority interest, and politicians have a difficult balance to tread between looking indifferent by not caring at all and looking silly by caring too much.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Fair play to Mourinho. I've been looking forwards to this day when he'd be sacked for almost two years. Now it's all just meaningless. If Klopp and Ole don't follow suit then it shows how meaningless their persona of being the people's champions really is. Rashford and other moralising footballers also need to take a stand, Kane is another one who needs to think long and hard about this move.

Again.
    He got sacked for refusing to take the players out for training and essentially telling them to go on strike aiui.
    Possible, although I would be surprised - his usual MO is to be sacked in such a way as to maximise his payoff, and committing gross misconduct doesn't fit that pattern.

Anyway, I can't find any reports of this anywhere in the mainstream news outlets, all of whom are convinced Levy pulled the plug due to performance issues. No doubt we'll find out over the coming days.
    We've got the league cup final this weekend, his first shot at silverware with Spurs. There's literally no way this happened over nothing and there's no way that the board would have sacked him in the run up to a cup final unless it was over something very serious.

Simon Jordan reckons they wanted to sack him and didn’t want to risk him winning a trophy on Sunday.
    And go into a cup final managerless?! That's the most stupid idea I've heard.

It's very obvious that Mourinho disagreed with this, protested and refused to back down so the board sacked him. We don't have a replacement lined up like last time when he came in as soon as Poch was sacked. It's a complete fucking shambles and Levy has shat on the club's legacy of being a local club for local people. Staying on the WHL site was a huge deal for all of us who support the club and go to matches, the club realised that too. Now he's setting fire to all of that good will. The reaction among Spurs fans is overwhelmingly negative.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Brom said:

Leon said:

I'm sure Celtic & Rangers would fancy a piece, but they're not exactly a global draw for Ali in Malaysiia.

Shaktar, Ajax, Napoli, Benfica? They'll soon be shopping in the super power bargain bin to make up the numbers.
    They're already gone for Spurs and Arsenal so deep in that bargain bin right now.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131

Didn't the "Arsenal" franchise leave its historic roots south of the river and relocate to more glamorous North London? They've got form for this sort of nonsense.

Woolwich Arsenal kept their nickname as they moved across the river..
  • Options
    On the PL rules saying that it needs 75% to kick them out, surely the way round that is for the rest of the PL and football league to break away from the Big 6.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1384083825282535431
    51% - Only with Leiria (45%) has José Mourinho posted a lower win ratio in all competitions in his managerial career than he has with Tottenham Hotspur (51% - won 44/86 games). Sacked.

He's not that good a manager anymore. Far too negative.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Of course the irony is that all these clubs are in Labour held constituencies? (I believe so, anyway).
    I suspect the majority of the fans of Chelsea, Man Utd and possibly Liverpool & Spurs are in Tory seats though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

This just gets better and better. :-)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Given recent performances, I imagine Ferrari would manage to lose its own motorsport series, likely due to a bizarre strategic blunder.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,781

Johnson can do nothing.

Rubbish. My house is "private property" and yet I can't turn it into a poison factory or a skyscraper without permission.
    That can be arranged...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    Leon said:

Have Ajax been asked yet ?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or it may remind people once more that almost every positive thing Johnson does is nicked from Jeremy "ahead of his time" Corbyn. Making the clubs accountable to the fans was yet another terrific policy of his from the glory days.

The "big six" greed machines wouldn't have even comtemplated this move if a Corbyn led Labour government were in power. They'd have known for a fact it couldn't fly.

By contrast, and as per usual, "Boris" is simply seeking to ingratiate.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799

eek said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

How does he do that then?
    Announces Tier 5 COVID restrictions in perpetuity applying only to their stadia.

I jest, but if he wants to he probably could stop this. Use competition law to get the regulator to call this an unlawful cartel, announce the ESL won't be included for some kind of sports travel consent which other teams/fans would need to visit the UK for matches. Or just pass a law declaring the 6 teams as 'National Heritage' and thus a government veto on their board. It's all rather extreme, but didn't the Brazilian Government stop Pele being sold abroad once in a similar manner?

At the very least, he can announce that regulators in the media/sport/competition will oppose this, and while the ESL could sue it would be a stumbling block.
    The simple solution would be to insist all matches have to be shown on Free to Air Television.

Without the TV money it won't last.
    I suspect it will be effectively Free to Air anyway as Amazon will bundle it in with Prime.
    Or Disney+
    Very fitting for a Micky Mouse competition.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    If the ESL doesn't now come to be, can the clubs involved ever repair the damage done to their reputations?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,050
    eek said:

Speaking with my legal hat on for a moment, I don't think the broadcasters will be able to sue the individual clubs, only the leagues.

The clubs will be able to argue that they still want to play in their respective domestic leagues and it is the leagues that have kicked them out.

Would the Premier League really expel the 6 clubs that bring in probably 90% of their revenue? I just don't see it.

UEFA would fight this with all they've got because this kills their golden goose (the Champions League) but the Premier League surely have no alternative but to defer to the big 6 over UEFA.
    I don't believe the PL CAN expelI the 6 because it requires a 75% majority under Rule B6 and thus the 6 can block it.

Of course the government could intervene with primary legislation.
    I assume maybe the PL could go to the courts for an injunction?
    It's almost like 6 clubs have been invited from England to ensure it gets round Premier League rules.
    So the other 14 clubs resign from the Premier League and reform it without the 6 Prima Donna clubs. Promote 6 new clubs from the Championship to replace them. Also ban the 6 clubs from playing in the FA cup or any other domestic competition and ban players from those clubs from playing for England.

Basically shut out the 6 clubs from all domestic competition.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219
    edited April 2021

Are any GOP politicians anti-vaxxers ?

If not then there's a big discrepancy between the leadership and the voters.

And into such electoral void anti-establishment candidates often move.

We could see anti-vaxxers trying to primary GOP politicians.

Only a handful. (including the nuttiest.)

Marjorie Taylor Greene Rare Member Of Congress Who Declines The COVID Vaccine
    https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/31/marjorie-taylor-greene-rare-member-of-congress-who-declines-the-covid-vaccine

And the majority of those who say they won't take the vaccine don't appear to be ideologically driven to impose that hesitancy on anyone else, so I don't think there'll be any such movement to primary Republicans who advocate vaccination.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Of course the irony is that all these clubs are in Labour held constituencies? (I believe so, anyway).
    I suspect the majority of the fans of Chelsea, Man Utd and possibly Liverpool & Spurs are in Tory seats though.
    Domestically probably yes.

The overwhelming majority of fans don't live in this country.
  • Options

eek said:

Speaking with my legal hat on for a moment, I don't think the broadcasters will be able to sue the individual clubs, only the leagues.

The clubs will be able to argue that they still want to play in their respective domestic leagues and it is the leagues that have kicked them out.

Would the Premier League really expel the 6 clubs that bring in probably 90% of their revenue? I just don't see it.

UEFA would fight this with all they've got because this kills their golden goose (the Champions League) but the Premier League surely have no alternative but to defer to the big 6 over UEFA.
    I don't believe the PL CAN expelI the 6 because it requires a 75% majority under Rule B6 and thus the 6 can block it.

It's almost like 6 clubs have been invited from England to ensure it gets round Premier League rules.
    So the other 14 clubs resign from the Premier League and reform it without the 6 Prima Donna clubs. Promote 6 new clubs from the Championship to replace them. Also ban the 6 clubs from playing in the FA cup or any other domestic competition and ban players from those clubs from playing for England.

And they get the television revenue they need to pay their bills from where?

• Options

eek said:

How to bankrupt the rest of English football in three easy lessons.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Most Manchester United fans are from Essex so you're probably right. ;)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or it may remind people once more that almost every positive thing Johnson does is nicked from Jeremy "ahead of his time" Corbyn. Making the clubs accountable to the fans was yet another terrific policy of his from the glory days.

The "big six" greed machines wouldn't have even comtemplated this move if a Corbyn led Labour government were in power. They'd have known for a fact it couldn't fly.

lol. No one is going to look fondly back and think ‘ahhh, Jeremy Corbyn would have saved English football’

Boris is a populist. He knows it will be extremely popular, stopping this grotesque breakaway.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.

The hell? I'm an increasingly disillusioned Arsenal fan and this would probably be the final straw for me, for both the club and the game. I'm already resigned to not watching the next World Cup in protest at FIFA awarding it to Qatar. I just have a very low opinion of Mourinho, based on observing his behaviour over the past 15 years. And he happens to hate my club.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Given recent performances, I imagine Ferrari would manage to lose its own motorsport series, likely due to a bizarre strategic blunder.

But that would be the only way they did lose for the other Ferrari powered teams aren't (sadly) much cop.
  • Options

eek said:

But the superleague is going to bankrupt English football anyway. The big six will field B teams. They will be so much richer it’ll be painful to watch the unequal matches. With no euro qualification much becomes meaningless

It’s the end of the EPL so the other clubs might as well threaten their own nuclear option
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,270

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.

It's very obvious that Mourinho disagreed with this, protested and refused to back down so the board sacked him. We don't have a replacement lined up like last time when he came in as soon as Poch was sacked. It's a complete fucking shambles and Levy has shat on the club's legacy of being a local club for local people. Staying on the WHL site was a huge deal for all of us who support the club and go to matches, the club realised that too. Now he's setting fire to all of that good will. The reaction among Spurs fans is overwhelmingly negative.
    Agreed, my son went to school this morning and will be oblivious until this afternoon unless he happens to bump into one of the Spurs-supporting teachers as the children have to hand in their phones on arrival. Not really sure how to explain everything to him: "Well Tottenham want to breakaway into a super league and by the way you have sacked your manager six days before the cup final."

• Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol. No one is going to look fondly back and think ‘ahhh, Jeremy Corbyn would have saved English football’

Boris is a populist. He knows it will be extremely popular, stopping this grotesque breakaway.
    But failing to stop it having promised to will dent his popularity.

Perhaps this is all about the Overton Window and some form of compromise will be reached afterall? Which allows the clubs to still gain something significant, the PM to claim credit for moderating the changes etc etc
  • Options

Leon said:

More details were expected when Dowden makes a Commons statement at about 5pm on Monday.

Speaking on a visit to Gloucestershire, the prime minister said: “I don’t like the look of these proposals, and we’ll be consulted about what we can do.”

The prime minister told reporters: “We are going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed. I don’t think that it’s good news for fans, I don’t think it’s good news for football in this country.

“These clubs are not just great global brands – of course they’re great global brands – they’re also clubs that have originated historically from their towns, from their cities, from their local communities, they should have a link with those fans, and with the fanbase in their community. So it is very, very important that that continues to be the case.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/ministers-urged-to-take-action-over-european-super-league-plan
    They originated from their home towns, but they've been ought and sold many times. The original owners no longer have a claim on them.
    This reminds me of when Man United fans celebrated raising millions when the club floated on the stock exchange, only to protest vehemently a few years later when the club was bought by the Glazers. If you're going to sell your club to everyone, you don't retain a claim to who subsequently acquires it.
    There are hundreds of examples of community clubs - football and other sports - up and down the country, from the small to the reasonably big (Bournemouth, I think?). These are the sorts of clubs which need our support and protection. Those that have already been sold can look elsewhere.
  • Options
    At least the F1 is good this season and we've got a good summer of cricket on the way.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Given that Sky seem to be opposed to this plan as well I suspect they - assuming you are talking about the other 14 clubs - take the revenue with them. No club should be big enough to wreck the game in this way.
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

But the superleague is going to bankrupt English football anyway. The big six will field B teams. They will be so much richer it’ll be painful to watch the unequal matches. With no euro qualification much becomes meaningless

It’s the end of the EPL so the other clubs might as well threaten their own nuclear option
    Your first paragraph is completely self-contradictory.

If they're "so much richer" but fielding "B teams" then how would that cause unequal matches? The need to field B teams would counteract part of the increased wealth which lets be honest has been a factor since the Champions League was invented.
  • Options

Johnson can do nothing.

No but its not like they are stopping you adding a bedroom, repairing the roof, laying a new drive and accepting a better job to hekp pay the mortgage.

The fact is that English fans have got used to champagne football at light ale prices.

Their revenues pay for a fraction of what it costs to attract and keep the world's best footballers and the owners are tired of filling in the gaps, or using vast sums of overseas money to subsidise entitled scousers.

They need more money to keep the show on the road. The current model is unsustainable. Something has to give.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    MaxPB said:

At least the F1 is good this season and we've got a good summer of cricket on the way.

As someone with a passing interest in F1 but who also frequently slags it off as dull, F1 really is good this season. Not just the title race, but mid-table sides making big performances. Proper divergences in speed between teammates too. Wish it was always like this.
  • Options

eek said:

It is this plan that will bankrupt English football. They need to stop it by any means possible.

• Options

eek said:

eek said:

Given that Sky seem to be opposed to this plan as well I suspect they - assuming you are talking about the other 14 clubs - take the revenue with them. No club should be big enough to wreck the game in this way.
    Maybe they shouldn't. But they are.

The money goes with the big 6 clubs, not the Premier League. If the Premier League expels the Big 6 (which it seems they can't do) then they lose the money, not the other way around.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Perhaps this is all about the Overton Window and some form of compromise will be reached afterall? Which allows the clubs to still gain something significant, the PM to claim credit for moderating the changes etc etc
    Yes, Boris is taking a risk. But the rewards for success will be enormous. This story is huge, much bigger than I first anticipated
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,718
    tlg86 said:

The joys of the American sports franchise system. Liverpool FC does not need to be based in Liverpool. The club could as easily move to Monaco (other tax havens are available). Or its brass plate could remain in Liverpool and play all its games somewhere else.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

The money goes with the big 6 clubs, not the Premier League. If the Premier League expels the Big 6 (which it seems they can't do) then they lose the money, not the other way around.
    They lose it anyway no matter what they do if this plan goes ahead. Who is going to pay to watch the big 6 fielding their reserve team in the PL?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I know we are very into our political commentary by our nature, but I am very skeptical that unless Johnson is clearly instrumental in stopping this that he will be a big part of the story either way when people look back at this.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

If they're "so much richer" but fielding "B teams" then how would that cause unequal matches? The need to field B teams would counteract part of the increased wealth which lets be honest has been a factor since the Champions League was invented.
    You're starting to show your arrogance.

That you believe Liverpool and others should have some God given claim to increased TV revenues simply due to their historic profile.

The current system works. If you perform well, you are allowed to play in the next season's Champions League. If you don't, you are not allowed.

The Super League is crap but the proposed changes to the UEFA Champions League are also crap.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Nah, the Premier League is more than the big six. It would come back and a new big six would emerge. The likes of Leicester, Everton, West Ham and a few others would just become bigger clubs with better players.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

They lose it anyway no matter what they do if this plan goes ahead. Who is going to pay to watch the big 6 fielding their reserve team in the PL?
    The fans of the big 6 will. Just as they already do, squad rotation isn't a novel concept.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Actually, I think the money follows the players. They are crucial in all of this.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.

Agreed, my son went to school this morning and will be oblivious until this afternoon unless he happens to bump into one of the Spurs-supporting teachers as the children have to hand in their phones on arrival. Not really sure how to explain everything to him: "Well Tottenham want to breakaway into a super league and by the way you have sacked your manager six days before the cup final."

the curious thing which makes me think there is something in @MaxPB's theory is why would you risk your main chance of getting European football next season by sacking your manager 6 days before the match.
  • Options

Johnson can do nothing.

No but its not like they are stopping you adding a bedroom, repairing the roof, laying a new drive and accepting a better job to hekp pay the mortgage.

The fact is that English fans have got used to champagne football at light ale prices.

Their revenues pay for a fraction of what it costs to attract and keep the world's best footballers and the owners are tired of filling in the gaps, or using vast sums of overseas money to subsidise entitled scousers.

They need more money to keep the show on the road. The current model is unsustainable. Something has to give.

Why am I not surprised to see someone like you - who is totally devoid of principles - siding with the money-grabbing elitists.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

They lose money in both scenarios.

I'd rather lose money and retain sporting integrity. This is a total abomination.
  • Options

Johnson can do nothing.

Even by your standards, "watching English football is cheap" is one hell of a take.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

More details were expected when Dowden makes a Commons statement at about 5pm on Monday.

Speaking on a visit to Gloucestershire, the prime minister said: “I don’t like the look of these proposals, and we’ll be consulted about what we can do.”

The prime minister told reporters: “We are going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed. I don’t think that it’s good news for fans, I don’t think it’s good news for football in this country.

“These clubs are not just great global brands – of course they’re great global brands – they’re also clubs that have originated historically from their towns, from their cities, from their local communities, they should have a link with those fans, and with the fanbase in their community. So it is very, very important that that continues to be the case.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/ministers-urged-to-take-action-over-european-super-league-plan
    They originated from their home towns, but they've been ought and sold many times. The original owners no longer have a claim on them.
    This reminds me of when Man United fans celebrated raising millions when the club floated on the stock exchange, only to protest vehemently a few years later when the club was bought by the Glazers. If you're going to sell your club to everyone, you don't retain a claim to who subsequently acquires it.
    There are hundreds of examples of community clubs - football and other sports - up and down the country, from the small to the reasonably big (Bournemouth, I think?). These are the sorts of clubs which need our support and protection. Those that have already been sold can look elsewhere.
    Indeed.

The bullsh8t from some people on this has to be seen to be believed. British fans have long since ceased to fund the football they watch. Gate receipts are a fraction of what is required to run a City or a Liverpool.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Brom said:

Leon said:

Its politics4all with zero quotes. Nonsense from twitter until he adds to his initial statement.

Can't imagine he would act as fast as to say something like that anyway.
    Graun politics feed says:

Boris Johnson has also said the government will do everything it can to stop the European super league going ahead as currently proposed. He told reporters:

We are going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed.

I don’t think that it’s good news for fans, I don’t think it’s good news for football in this country ...

These clubs are not just great global brands - of course they’re great global brands - they’re also clubs that have originated historically from their towns, from their cities, from their local communities, they should have a link with those fans, and with the fan base in their community.

So it is very, very important that that continues to be the case. I don’t like the look of these proposals, and we’ll be consulted about what we can do.
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the penis in the hornet's nest metaphor.

Though Rochdale would suggest if anyone can be expected to stick it where it doesn't belong . . . 😉
    A better metaphor might be the border down the Irish Sea.
  • Options

eek said:

Well the rest of the clubs can live within their means for a bit.
    In the short term, there will be two parallel competitions - the existing English league and cup structure, and some European circus. In the medium term, one will wither and die or continue in some form barely atttended to by the majority (cf rugby league). I expect the super league teams to be the losers in this.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    edited April 2021
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.

I'm content to have no Mourinho in my life for a while.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Actually, I think the money follows the players. They are crucial in all of this.
    Nah players come and go, its the clubs that fans support and they bring the money. The players go with the money not the other way around.

Whoever said it last night was right, the clubs are like Trigger's Broom. The players, the managers, the visible staff at a club can all change every few years just like the handle and brush on Trigger's Broom but fans still say they support the same club that they did before.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

the curious thing which makes me think there is something in @MaxPB's theory is why would you risk your main chance of getting European football next season by sacking your manager 6 days before the match.
    Conference League only. I reckon Levy did some sums and concluded the reduced chance of winning it was worth not having to pay Mourinho a bonus for doing so.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Endillion said:

Conference League only. I reckon Levy did some sums and concluded the reduced chance of winning it was worth not having to pay Mourinho a bonus for doing so.

It is widely believed that sacking Jose will costs £10 millions....remember his Man Utd contract had claused that cost Man Utd nearly £10 million to sack him. It is thought he has a similar deal for him and his whole team of coaches with Spurs.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

And excitement, the EPL is worth the subscription fee for Sky Sports because every week there is a lot of greatly entertaining football on TV. Watching the "big clubs" play each other endlessly with nothing at stake is going to become dull.

I had a think about it, I'd be ok with breaking away from UEFA, but the idea of 12 or 15 clubs essentially not having anything to worry about to get into the cup the following season is what disgusts me, it is the very antithesis of free and fair competition. The clubs are creating a cartel at the top of football to try and concentrate the wealth between the 12 of them.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,644

moonshine said:

But the golden goose has already flown the nest. There would be little incentive for the super 6 to field full strength or even half strength sides in the domestic league. League position means nothing financially, there’s no concept of needing to finish high enough to qualify for Europe. And there can only be one champion. So it’s B Sides in the domestic league from now on. Which massively degrades the value of the tv contacts.
    Doesn't change the fact that the Premier League having the top clubs and their fans, even with B sides, is a much better product than a Premier League without the top clubs.

Keep the top 6 and the Premier League is devalued but still has the fans of the top clubs, expel the top 6 (which looks like they can't do as there's a blocking minority there preventing a 75% supermajority vote anyway) and the Premier League becomes a glorified "Championship".
    The top 6 are more than half of the value of the product. Threatening to kick them out is an empty threat.

The only way to avoid this would have been to prevent the big money owners from buying the clubs in the first place.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

That you believe Liverpool and others should have some God given claim to increased TV revenues simply due to their historic profile.

The current system works. If you perform well, you are allowed to play in the next season's Champions League. If you don't, you are not allowed.

The Super League is crap but the proposed changes to the UEFA Champions League are also crap.
    I don't believe they should, I oppose this project.

I believe they do bring the money whether I think they should or should not doesn't change that.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Johnson can do nothing.

Even by your standards, "watching English football is cheap" is one hell of a take.
    Based on what it takes to run a super club, it is way cheap. Its the bargain of the century.

The fans of the big clubs want the top players in England, they want to lord it over the rest, but they don't want to pay for them.

• Options
    The Independent are reporting that the decision to sack Jose was made on Friday so that poo poos the protest theory.
  • Options
    In other sporting news, the amateur jockey Lorna Brooke has died from injuries sustained in a heavy fall at Taunton earlier this month.
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/amateur-jockey-lorna-brooke-dies-after-taunton-fall/485305
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

The bullsh8t from some people on this has to be seen to be believed. British fans have long since ceased to fund the football they watch. Gate receipts are a fraction of what is required to run a City or a Liverpool.

Sky and BT between them paid £4.5 billion for 3 seasons of football. That money all came from British fans paying Sky. Gate receipts have nothing to do with it.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

I believe they do bring the money whether I think they should or should not doesn't change that.
    You say you oppose the project but yet are also opposed to any attempt to stop the project.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

eek said:

Because even their B teams will be waaaay better than West Ham or Southampton. They will rest their best players for the midweek superleague
  • Options

The Independent are reporting that the decision to sack Jose was made on Friday so that poo poos the protest theory.

That doesn't make any sense. The Independent are being fed a damage control story by the Spurs board and they're repeating it without actually checking it. If the decision to sack him was made on Friday then he would have been sacked on Saturday morning with a replacement in place before the weekend of the cup final. There aren't even any candidates to take over right now.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Football is not about the players. Or the managers or owners. It is the fans who are crucial. They are constant, the rest come and go.
  • Options

Endillion said:

It is widely believed that sacking Jose will costs £10 millions....remember his Man Utd contract had claused that cost Man Utd nearly £10 million to sack him. It is thought he has a similar deal for him and his whole team of coaches with Spurs.
    He was always going to sack him for this season's performance at some point this year anyway. The question is just why he specifically chose to the week before the League Cup final, and whether that implies something else happened.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Because even their B teams will be waaaay better than West Ham or Southampton. They will rest their best players for the midweek superleague
    Especially if they have access to revenues that other clubs will NEVER have access to, no matter how well they perform.

That's the worst part about it. A completely closed-shop.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

And excitement, the EPL is worth the subscription fee for Sky Sports because every week there is a lot of greatly entertaining football on TV. Watching the "big clubs" play each other endlessly with nothing at stake is going to become dull.

I had a think about it, I'd be ok with breaking away from UEFA, but the idea of 12 or 15 clubs essentially not having anything to worry about to get into the cup the following season is what disgusts me, it is the very antithesis of free and fair competition. The clubs are creating a cartel at the top of football to try and concentrate the wealth between the 12 of them.
    The beauty of the EPL is the unpredictability, every team can and does beat each other e.g. WBA stuffing Chelsea the other week.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Johnson can do nothing.

I pay £15 per month for the complete package on Sky Sports (though that doesn't include the BT fixtures).

That's not that expensive when you consider that the Premier League is a billion pound industry.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That doesn't make any sense. The Independent are being fed a damage control story by the Spurs board and they're repeating it without actually checking it. If the decision to sack him was made on Friday then he would have been sacked on Saturday morning with a replacement in place before the weekend of the cup final. There aren't even any candidates to take over right now.
    Presumably Brendan Rodgers is the target? He can't stay at Leicester forever, needs a big club.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Maybe but what is the incentive to play their best teams in the superleague from which they cannot be relegated? There might need to be a big prize for winning or it will be the European equivalent of the League Cup.
  • Options
    Apols if already posted...

A quarter of the leave vote could be categorised as “economically deprived, anti-immigration with monthly household income of less than £2,200 a month. A third of leave supporters were older working class, with an average age of 71.

However, almost half were “affluent eurosceptics” who shared the domestic priorities of the poorer cohort – they wanted further investment in police, the NHS and care workers and “proper, secure work for high-quality domestic production, as well as apprenticeship in real jobs”, says the briefing paper.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/19/half-of-brexit-supporters-were-not-left-behind-red-wall-voters
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,105

A1GP used cars based on the 2004 Ferrari F1 car for their 2008 and 2009 seasons. I wish I had bought one when they sold them off after the whole thing went tits up. I do have an ex-Romain Grosjean F3 car with no engine or transmission that's sat in the corner of the workshop waiting for him to win a world championship so I can sell it.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Yes, some form of euro league is probably inevitable

But it’s the closed shop, US franchise, no-relegation format which is so abhorrent. It’s ghastly and destructive and will produce endless boring meaningless games (with no away fans). It demolishes domestic leagues as a mere by-product

Come on Boris, save British footie
  • Options

Endillion said:

Johnson can do nothing.

Based on what it takes to run a super club, it is way cheap. Its the bargain of the century.

The fans of the big clubs want the top players in England, they want to lord it over the rest, but they don't want to pay for them.

The only reason we can't compete with Barcelona and Real Madrid is that the former is an economic basket case which persistently lives well beyond its means, and the latter is subsidised by the Spanish Government. And is still an economic basket case.

There are zero models for "super clubs" which actually work. If European clubs would stop bankrupting themselves trying to outbid each other on salaries, everything would magically become affordable again.
  • Options

moonshine said:

But the golden goose has already flown the nest. There would be little incentive for the super 6 to field full strength or even half strength sides in the domestic league. League position means nothing financially, there’s no concept of needing to finish high enough to qualify for Europe. And there can only be one champion. So it’s B Sides in the domestic league from now on. Which massively degrades the value of the tv contacts.
    Doesn't change the fact that the Premier League having the top clubs and their fans, even with B sides, is a much better product than a Premier League without the top clubs.

Keep the top 6 and the Premier League is devalued but still has the fans of the top clubs, expel the top 6 (which looks like they can't do as there's a blocking minority there preventing a 75% supermajority vote anyway) and the Premier League becomes a glorified "Championship".
    The top 6 are more than half of the value of the product. Threatening to kick them out is an empty threat.

The only way to avoid this would have been to prevent the big money owners from buying the clubs in the first place.
    Its not an empty threat if the EPL already know that their actions are going to destroy the value of the league anyway. They have nothing to lose.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Football is not about the players. Or the managers or owners. It is the fans who are crucial. They are constant, the rest come and go.
    That’s really nice and all, but those bankrolling this project would rather have the top players than supporters like me.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Funeral?
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

But it’s the closed shop, US franchise, no-relegation format which is so abhorrent. It’s ghastly and destructive and will produce endless boring meaningless games (with no away fans). It demolishes domestic leagues as a mere by-product

I agree, but where did you get the bit about no away fans??
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

The beauty of the EPL is the unpredictability, every team can and does beat each other e.g. WBA stuffing Chelsea the other week.
    Agree - and Leeds beating Man City away just last week. Sheer joy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Uefa need to bin the new CL idea, it will ruin the CL....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Depends what you mean by fans though, right?

Fans in Lagos, Kuala Lumpur, New Delhi and Riyadh?

They pay to watch on TV. They buy team shirts. They would love to see the team in the flesh just once and would probably pay handsomely to do so.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Presumably Brendan Rodgers is the target? He can't stay at Leicester forever, needs a big club.
    Why would you (prior to yesterday) go from Leicester to Tottenham?
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

You say you oppose the project but yet are also opposed to any attempt to stop the project.
    I'm opposed to the project but I'm also a realist. Wishful thinking won't stop it. Claiming black is white won't stop it. Making the Premier League a new Championship won't stop it.

If this is going to be stopped it needs to be done with steps that work. The threatened ban on players playing in the World Cup, that's interesting. Will make players think twice but it's very deja vu with Kerry Packer.

I don't know if the Competition and Market's Authority can get involved perhaps?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Maybe but what is the incentive to play their best teams in the superleague from which they cannot be relegated? There might need to be a big prize for winning or it will be the European equivalent of the League Cup.
    Interesting point. The cash distribution within the superleague is also perverse. €30m for winning it (I read) but a founding father team gets €100m just for participation

So even if you do ‘qualify’ you’ll never get the chance to become a big club, the disgusting dozen will always have vastly more money than you. For the rest of time
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654
    It's a little-known fact that Starmer is a genuine football fan. He still plays 5-a-side every week, and is a season-ticket holder (Arsenal, so nobody's perfect).

If he plays this right he will have more credibility (though less power) than Boris on football matters.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,742
    As you are still talking football (yawn) can someone please explain why Chelsea are pretty strong favourites to win the FA cup when Leicester are higher in the league?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    The US franchise system works because there is a massive college system 'underneath' in the NFL. It's also been there forever, really no parallel to european football.
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

I agree, but where did you get the bit about no away fans??
    How many scousers can afford to fly to Italy and Spain ten times a year?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420
    The metamorphosis to 'personality' is now complete

https://twitter.com/RobDunsmore/status/1384087921687285760?s=20
This discussion has been closed.