Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We need to talk about antivaxxer GOPers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654

Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/AngusRobertson/status/1384068683706736646

New UK Poll: Majority support for Scottish #indyref2 in England, Scotland, Wales and NI if SNP wins majority. Poll via
    @IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    #nomeansnoonceinagenerationQuebecCatalonia
    You forgot tanks.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,300
    @lucrezianews: RT @GaryLineker: Jose Mourinho is fired. He is the first of the European Super League managers to lose their job.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,300
    @SamanthaQuek: Mourinho has just been sacked...

@SamanthaQuek: ...just 12 hours after qualifying for the European Super League as well. 🙄
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

New UK Poll: Majority support for Scottish #indyref2 in England, Scotland, Wales and NI if SNP wins majority. Poll via
    @IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    Just read the data, a very high 62% of Tory voters say the UK government should not allow an indyref2 within the next 5 years even with an SNP majority and the Tories are in power with a majority across the UK
    https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2021-04/scotland-future-of-the-union-tables-april-2021.pdf
    Is that properly weighted or is it a sub-sample? I know you get confused.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    HYUFD said:

Matthew McConaughey next governor of Texas?

A new poll has McConaughey leading incumbent Greg Abbott 45% to 33%

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1383953675027058688?s=20

It's an interesting poll, with him holding good chunks of support from Republicans (30%) and Dems (66%). The poll didn't include a named Democrat candidate. This makes me assume he'd have to run as an independent or Democrat, but either path would risk losing him a bunch of voters. If he runs as an Ind then there will be a named Dem candidate and party loyalties would recover a lot of those. If he runs as a Dem he'll never get 30% of GOP voters. He could primary challenge Abbott for the GOP nomination, but polls have that as an uphill struggle and he'd burn himself with a lot of supporters on both sides if he failed (Dems seeing him as basically a Republican, GOPs seeing him as a disloyal Republican).

I think his best bet would be to stay Ind and try to hold together a broad coalition as a non-standard politician who cut across ideological divides, but that's a very tricky path and he'd probably be squeezed out of the race. Although if he does want to try, the Governorship is the right target as it is a role more suited to an independent than a Senate seat.

Tbh I think Greg Abbott will probably win, and even at 1/2 is value. It's a very tough race for the GOP nominee to lose, and Abbott is big favourite to be renominated.
  • Options

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    Some fascinating stuff in there. A majority of people in all 4 nations back a referendum. A majority of people in all 4 nations think the UK will be history within 10 years (ok Wales isn't a majority but 46% agree, 30% disagree)

Time for that fatherly dictatorship that HYUFD is such a passionate advocate of.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Alistair said:

I remember people freaking out over the creation of the EPL back in the early '90s, saying "Oh shit! This means the end of football as we know it!"

No such thing happened.

The PL was just another layer on the pyramid. This is literally a closed shop. It isn't the same thing at all.
    Once promotion and relegation was kept, it was a renamed First Division. It's still theoretically possible for one of the Big Six to drop down to the Championship, which isn't the case with a full franchise system.
    Look at the knicker-twisting in Premiership Rugby Union.
    Premiership Rugby Union is pure scum baggery. The profit sharing via share ownership means that the promoted team (unless they have one of the golden 13 founder shares) get fuck all money.

That is if the promoted team can get promoted at all with criteria to fulfil that the existing memebers don't have to meet but the new members do have to meet.

Incidentally the only reason there are 13 golden shares and not 12 is that Harlequins were relegated the year the system was put in place so an extra golden share was given to them. I bet if Leeds had went down they wouldn't have got the share.
    Although brought up on Rugby Union, the organisation, and the way the game is now played has effectively killed my interest. I'll enjoy the closing stages of a Welsh win, but that's about as far as it goes.
    My knowledge of Rugby Union is that its that version of Rugby that southerners play.

I'll cheer on England but that's about the limit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    Munich torpedoes the Super League as a serious venture I think.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Scott_xP said:

Breaking: Tottenham have sacked Jose Mourinho. Full story to follow @TeleFootball #thfc

I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp is next. I reckon he is not signed up to the idea - maybe why he has been somewhat semi-detached in recent weeks...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420

The German Green Party has chosen Annalena Baerbock as their Chancellor candidate for the federal elections.

Leaves them somewhat unprotected in the upcoming elections?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    Just read the data, a very high 62% of Tory voters say the UK government should not allow an indyref2 within the next 5 years even if the SNP win a majority and the Tories are in power with a majority across the UK.

65% of Labour voters and 53% of LD voters by contrast say the UK government should allow an indyref2 within the next 5 years if the SNP win a majority but why would Boris care what Labour and LD voters think when he still has a comfortable poll lead?

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2021-04/scotland-future-of-the-union-tables-april-2021.pdf
    Sometimes your language really does you even less favours than mine does me!
  • Options

Alistair said:

I remember people freaking out over the creation of the EPL back in the early '90s, saying "Oh shit! This means the end of football as we know it!"

No such thing happened.

The PL was just another layer on the pyramid. This is literally a closed shop. It isn't the same thing at all.
    Once promotion and relegation was kept, it was a renamed First Division. It's still theoretically possible for one of the Big Six to drop down to the Championship, which isn't the case with a full franchise system.
    Premiership Rugby Union is pure scum baggery. The profit sharing via share ownership means that the promoted team (unless they have one of the golden 13 founder shares) get fuck all money.

That is if the promoted team can get promoted at all with criteria to fulfil that the existing memebers don't have to meet but the new members do have to meet.

Incidentally the only reason there are 13 golden shares and not 12 is that Harlequins were relegated the year the system was put in place so an extra golden share was given to them. I bet if Leeds had went down they wouldn't have got the share.
    Although brought up on Rugby Union, the organisation, and the way the game is now played has effectively killed my interest. I'll enjoy the closing stages of a Welsh win, but that's about as far as it goes.
    My knowledge of Rugby Union is that its that version of Rugby that southerners play.

You southerners south of the Tyne play both League and Union.

We play Union up here in the true North.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    Pulpstar said:

Munich torpedoes the Super League as a serious venture I think.

Possibly, though I think they have to go through with it now. They can’t back down. I know everyone thinks it’s a negotiating ploy, but they’ve crossed a line. There’s no going back now.
  • Options

Shagger cancels his trip to India. Who knew that there was a health risk?

Why do you insist on calling him Shagger? It's a stupid name and glamorises him if anything.
    And it is infantile
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

The best bit in the piece is this:

'This does have betting implications, if significant number of GOPers remain unvaccinated then there are likely to (be) a lot fewer GOP voters at the time of the next Presidential election which not even GOP voter suppression can overturn. At some point someone in the GOP will realise this."

Although I'm not sure the last sentence will make a lot of difference; the damage will have been done.

The best bit is cheering on the death of your opponents?
    I see no cheering there, but its the best bit of political analysis which is what PB is very good at, yes.

If through a Darwinian process one party removes more of its voters than another does then that could affect future political betting.

If the GOP wants to keep its voters voting, then keeping them alive is a good starting point.
    It doesn't have to be a matter of death, so Charles is being a tad unfair to TSE. Just catching the pox bad and having to payt the medical bills (or it happening to a reelative) is going to be very upsetting to at least some GOP voters.
    TSE’s comment was fine. It was @OldKingCole i was criticising. Happy to clear up any confusion
  • Options
    Cue the Special One speaking out against The Super League. "it is a disgrace to football. I told the Chairman this. He showed me the door".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    Just read the data, a very high 62% of Tory voters say the UK government should not allow an indyref2 within the next 5 years even if the SNP win a majority and the Tories are in power with a majority across the UK.

65% of Labour voters and 53% of LD voters by contrast say the UK government should allow an indyref2 within the next 5 years if the SNP win a majority but why would Boris care what Labour and LD voters think when he still has a comfortable poll lead?

Sometimes your language really does you even less favours than mine does me!
    Just reality, Boris has a majority of 80 achieved on 43% of the vote, this poll has 40% of UK voters opposing an indyref2 even with an SNP Holyrood majority (the vast majority Tories) so Boris will again listen to his base and tell the SNP no whatever happens in May
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,050
    We do sadly have some people here in the UK who go way beyond Mr Fox and his anti-vax views and are right into the most extreme of conspiracy theories.

I have a designer and supplier for one of my small sideline companies who I actively try to avoid going to visit these days as he is so completely off the rails. Highly intelligent in some ways but a complete conspiracy loon. His latest claims are that the vaccination programme is a targeted genocide designed to massively reduce the world's population and that already 600,000 people have died in the UK from the vaccine but it is all being covered up.

He genuinely believes this and, because sadly I need what he supplies and I have no alternative sources, I choose rightly or wrongly to just make sympathetic faces and get out as quickly as possible. I did used to try to argue him round, politely of course. But all I want to do these days is scream at him.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@andreajenkyns: RT @EddieHughes4WN: I'm calling on all MPs to lobby Marcus Rashford to put an end to this talk of a #SuperLeague

Yes, he needs to feel the heat over this.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154

Alistair said:

No such thing happened.

Moving to the NorthWest in my 20's meant I took more of an interest in League, and, especially now the rather vestigial 'scrums' have been eliminated it's a far better spectacle than Union.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    Some fascinating stuff in there. A majority of people in all 4 nations back a referendum. A majority of people in all 4 nations think the UK will be history within 10 years (ok Wales isn't a majority but 46% agree, 30% disagree)

Time for that fatherly dictatorship that HYUFD is such a passionate advocate of.
    Technically not true, they said the UK may not exist in its current form in 10 years, which could mean a Federal UK with an English Parliament, devomax for Scotland etc too
  • Options

Alistair said:

No such thing happened.

Union. League. Its all egg throwing. Someone needs to open up an Aussie-Rules Football league over here - that's a man's game...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Hmmm

quite what conditions 3000 miles away has to do with our day to day I fail to see. Of much more interest is the country 20 miles across the channel where anti vax sentiment is fairly retrenched , the president has scared the crap out of the population so nobody believes what the government says and where for some reason we still leave our borders open.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited April 2021
    On topic, if you still think the virus is a hoax perpetrated by by the DNC to help Biden beat Trump, then it makes total sense to both oppose both continued restrictions, and refuse to get a vaccine.

Edit: also, the number of GOP voters this is likely to kill in the medium to long run is electorally negligible. Especially if hesitancy drops off as age increases. Which I strongly suspect it does.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD

Technically not true, they said the UK may not exist in its current form, which could mean a Federal UK with an English Parliament, devomax for Scotland etc too
    Is Liar going to back federalism then?

QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    “No means no” would be an interesting slogan. Although I suspect the Indy supporters would try to argue it is minimising the significance of rape.
  • Options
    Speaking with my legal hat on for a moment, I don't think the broadcasters will be able to sue the individual clubs, only the leagues.

The clubs will be able to argue that they still want to play in their respective domestic leagues and it is the leagues that have kicked them out.
  • Options

Hmmm

quite what conditions 3000 miles away has to do with our day to day I fail to see. Of much more interest is the country 20 miles across the channel where anti vax sentiment is fairly retrenched , the president has scared the crap out of the population so nobody believes what the government says and where for some reason we still leave our borders open.

We bet more on the US Presidential election than we do on the French Presidential election.

Simples.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,041
    This might prove handy for some local clubs who rely a lot more on ticket sales than TV revenue for income, and have been hit very hard by the pandemic.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

@andreajenkyns: RT @EddieHughes4WN: I'm calling on all MPs to lobby Marcus Rashford to put an end to this talk of a #SuperLeague

Yes, he needs to feel the heat over this.
    What are Roc Nation's views on the SL ?
  • Options

Speaking with my legal hat on for a moment, I don't think the broadcasters will be able to sue the individual clubs, only the leagues.

The clubs will be able to argue that they still want to play in their respective domestic leagues and it is the leagues that have kicked them out.

I assume the leagues can in turn sue the individual clubs for their breaches of the league rules?
  • Options

Would the Premier League really expel the 6 clubs that bring in probably 90% of their revenue? I just don't see it.

UEFA would fight this with all they've got because this kills their golden goose (the Champions League) but the Premier League surely have no alternative but to defer to the big 6 over UEFA.
  • Options

Hmmm

We bet more on the US Presidential election than we do on the French Presidential election.

Simples.
    Magnifique, but more people will die here if Macron gets his sums wrong rather than Biden

And Macron is an arrant twat.
  • Options

I assume the leagues can in turn sue the individual clubs for their breaches of the league rules?
    Possibly, however they ESL clubs only need one more club to vote alongside them and they should be safe.
  • Options

Would the Premier League really expel the 6 clubs that bring in probably 90% of their revenue? I just don't see it.

UEFA would fight this with all they've got because this kills their golden goose (the Champions League) but the Premier League surely have no alternative but to defer to the big 6 over UEFA.
    I don't believe the PL CAN expelI the 6 because it requires a 75% majority under Rule B6 and thus the 6 can block it.

Of course the government could intervene with primary legislation.
    I assume maybe the PL could go to the courts for an injunction?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD

Technically not true, they said the UK may not exist in its current form, which could mean a Federal UK with an English Parliament, devomax for Scotland etc too

QTWTAIN.
    Boris will refuse indyref2 regardless so it does not matter.

If Starmer becomes PM he may allow indyref2 and move to Federalism but that would not be Boris' problem anymore
  • Options

Hmmm

Simples.
    Magnifique, but more people will die here if Macron gets his sums wrong rather than Biden

I agree with all of that, but this is political betting.
  • Options

Possibly, however they ESL clubs only need one more club to vote alongside them and they should be safe.
    6/20 is 30% so they are safe in any case, are they not?
  • Options

Hmmm

Simples.

The French being twats is baked in.

America being a 330 million population pool keeping the virus alive and mutating is probably more of a threat to us than France actually.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799

Alistair said:

No such thing happened.

Newcastle Thunder?
  • Options

Possibly, I haven't read the PL articles of association for a few years.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420
    edited April 2021
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    “No means no” would be an interesting slogan. Although I suspect the Indy supporters would try to argue it is minimising the significance of rape.
    Mebbes, it might have a bit of extra resonance with Baroness Ruth of Rape Clause still floating about the scene. However I think indy supporters would be more likely to say that Scotland has said no to the Tories for 60+ years, and that that no certainly means no.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,807
    🚨 BREAKING: Boris Johnson has announced that he will make sure the European Super League doesn’t go ahead as it stands #mufc #mujournal

If Boris can kill this he wins six terms
  • Options
    Leon said:

🚨 BREAKING: Boris Johnson has announced that he will make sure the European Super League doesn’t go ahead as it stands #mufc #mujournal

Shut up and take my vote Boris.

justkiddingmaybe
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131

I don't believe the PL CAN expelI the 6 because it requires a 75% majority under Rule B6 and thus the 6 can block it.

Of course the government could intervene with primary legislation.
    I assume maybe the PL could go to the courts for an injunction?
    It's almost like 6 clubs have been invited from England to ensure it gets round Premier League rules.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Yes if it takes 75% to vote to expel then there's no way that 75% of 20 are going to vote to expel 6.

Maybe the reason the Gunners and Spurs were invited was to ensure that? 🤔
  • Options

Hmmm

Simples.

America being a 330 million population pool keeping the virus alive and mutating is probably more of a threat to us than France actually.
    Unlikely a substantial volume of people cross into the UK from France every day, the USA is nowhere near the same total and the barriers to US\UK travel are currently higher than those between the UK and France.

Estimates put french anti vaxxers at 27 million. Dont book your holiday just yet

• Options
    If the government can legislate to make sure certain sporting occasions stay on free-to-air TV it can surely legislate to intervene in the super league debacle

It could make life for the big 6 supremely uncomfortable
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Jose out.
  • Options
    There is an opportunity for similar concepts to The Super League to go into Other Sports.

I want to see Super Formula. Ferrari break away from Formula One and set up their own series. Based in Italy with the Ferarri-powered teams as founder members", people would pay Big Money to watch Ferarri, Alfa Romeo and Haas compete at neutral tracks like Monza and Mugello against an exciting list of new Ferarri-powered teams...
  • Options

That does look the likely outcome
  • Options
    Leon said:

How does he do that then?
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's a very boring political point to make about this super-exciting football drama, but this is actually a great illustration of the difficulties of being Leader of the Opposition. Johnson and Starmer both made very similar statements within 10 minutes of each other when this was announced yesterday - but while a lot of coverage mentioned Johnson's statement alongside the FA/EPL/etc virtually no-one bothered including even a mention that Starmer had made a statement. Being LotO just isn't as newsworthy because you don't have power, so it's tough to get noticed by the public and influence the agenda.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248

But the golden goose has already flown the nest. There would be little incentive for the super 6 to field full strength or even half strength sides in the domestic league. League position means nothing financially, there’s no concept of needing to finish high enough to qualify for Europe. And there can only be one champion. So it’s B Sides in the domestic league from now on. Which massively degrades the value of the tv contacts.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,270

Shagger cancels his trip to India. Who knew that there was a health risk?

Why do you insist on calling him Shagger? It's a stupid name and glamorises him if anything.
    Would you prefer liar? I have nothing but utmost contempt for the man. Shags anything that walks, lies openly, eulogised as "he's a lad isn't he".
    Just call him Boris, or Johnson?
    Why? Do people just call Keir Starmer Keir or Starmer? Which part of my namecalling jars with you factually? That he is a liar? Or that he is a serial shagger?
    It sounds really pathetic and glamorises him.
  • Options

Hmmm

Simples.

Unlikely a substantial volume of people cross into the UK from France every day, the USA is nowhere near the same total and the barriers to US\UK travel are currently higher than those between the UK and France.

Estimates put french anti vaxxers at 27 million. Dont book your holiday just yet

The virus spreads around the globe quite rapidly, it doesn't matter where the virus evolves once it does it will spread realistically. So a country of 330 million is a much greater risk of seeing new mutations arise than one of 67 million.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD

QTWTAIN.
    Boris will refuse indyref2 regardless so it does not matter.

If Starmer becomes PM he may allow indyref2 and move to Federalism but that would not be Boris' problem anymore
    You are like a broken record and in denial of the reality that to win, the union needs to make its case which is a good one

• Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

Leon said:

If there really is to be no relegation (of the founders) then there's always competition grounds?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cancelled his India tour today and comes out fighting for the red wall voters who will really care about this seems very good politics

• Options

Leon said:

Announces Tier 5 COVID restrictions in perpetuity applying only to their stadia.

I jest, but if he wants to he probably could stop this. Use competition law to get the regulator to call this an unlawful cartel, announce the ESL won't be included for some kind of sports travel consent which other teams/fans would need to visit the UK for matches. Or just pass a law declaring the 6 teams as 'National Heritage' and thus a government veto on their board. It's all rather extreme, but didn't the Brazilian Government stop Pele being sold abroad once in a similar manner?

At the very least, he can announce that regulators in the media/sport/competition will oppose this, and while the ESL could sue it would be a stumbling block.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

There is an opportunity for similar concepts to The Super League to go into Other Sports.

I want to see Super Formula. Ferrari break away from Formula One and set up their own series. Based in Italy with the Ferarri-powered teams as founder members", people would pay Big Money to watch Ferarri, Alfa Romeo and Haas compete at neutral tracks like Monza and Mugello against an exciting list of new Ferarri-powered teams...

You jest but Ferrari have 'often' threatened to split from FIA and either exit F1 or set up a different series.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

But the golden goose has already flown the nest. There would be little incentive for the super 6 to field full strength or even half strength sides in the domestic league. League position means nothing financially, there’s no concept of needing to finish high enough to qualify for Europe. And there can only be one champion. So it’s B Sides in the domestic league from now on. Which massively degrades the value of the tv contacts.
    Doesn't change the fact that the Premier League having the top clubs and their fans, even with B sides, is a much better product than a Premier League without the top clubs.

Keep the top 6 and the Premier League is devalued but still has the fans of the top clubs, expel the top 6 (which looks like they can't do as there's a blocking minority there preventing a 75% supermajority vote anyway) and the Premier League becomes a glorified "Championship".
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Kelly1958R BREAKING...following instruction from new Hollywood owners, Wrexham FC are poised to form a North Wales Super League alongside Inter Harlech, Real Llangefni, Locomotive Llanberis, Dynamo Prestatyn and Sporting Club Capel Curig.
    Epic! How about a Manchester Citeh Super League! A line-up of Manchester City, New York City, Melbourne City, Monteviedo City, Mumbai City etc etc
  • Options

Hmmm

Simples.

The virus spreads around the globe quite rapidly, it doesn't matter where the virus evolves once it does it will spread realistically. So a country of 330 million is a much greater risk of seeing new mutations arise than one of 67 million.
    The country on our doorstep is the EU which has 747 million citizens and free movement, If your risk theory holds true time to reassess.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Has he really or is this a joke? Nothing on the news about him announcing that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,963
    Just listening to Gary Neville's impressive rant about US inspired super leagues and came across this. A Man City fan site run by someone who doesn't sound particularly educated but some of his lines are Bob Dylanesque 'I don't want my team on a meaningless carousel of nothingness'.

Angry young man or poet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BtbwtXKwnw

• Options
    I know this Super League story is absurd. But football has been absurd for a long time - the corruption inside FIFA and UEFA, the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar, we shouldn't be surprised by the corrupting power of money>

All we need to do now is to merge Fulchester United and Peddleworth Albion where the new Fulchester Albion club tales the combined points tally so that Billy the Fish can finally win the league without that evil billionaire Wynyard Hall stopping him.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Fair play to Mourinho. I've been looking forwards to this day when he'd be sacked for almost two years. Now it's all just meaningless. If Klopp and Ole don't follow suit then it shows how meaningless their persona of being the people's champions really is. Rashford and other moralising footballers also need to take a stand, Kane is another one who needs to think long and hard about this move.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131
    Quincel said:

Leon said:

Announces Tier 5 COVID restrictions in perpetuity applying only to their stadia.

I jest, but if he wants to he probably could stop this. Use competition law to get the regulator to call this an unlawful cartel, announce the ESL won't be included for some kind of sports travel consent which other teams/fans would need to visit the UK for matches. Or just pass a law declaring the 6 teams as 'National Heritage' and thus a government veto on their board. It's all rather extreme, but didn't the Brazilian Government stop Pele being sold abroad once in a similar manner?

At the very least, he can announce that regulators in the media/sport/competition will oppose this, and while the ESL could sue it would be a stumbling block.
    The simple solution would be to insist all matches have to be shown on Free to Air Television.

Without the TV money it won't last.
  • Options

Leon said:

Primary legislation?Temporarily nationalise teams? Refuse government cooperation - policing, etc- with super league games? A really determined government could make it hideously uncomfortable for the big clubs

This is such a huge story and if Boris can do what he promises he will be a hero to many. Quite the prize
  • Options

Hmmm

Simples.

The country on our doorstep is the EU which has 747 million citizens and free movement, If your risk theory holds true time to reassess.
    447 million and yes the EU should be on our red list in my opinion, I've said this for a long time.

But based on surveys by this time next year I expect more people to be unvaccinated in America than Europe.
  • Options

You jest but Ferrari have 'often' threatened to split from FIA and either exit F1 or set up a different series.
    Indeed - and a single-manufacturer racing series would be great for Ferarri.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,270

This might prove handy for some local clubs who rely a lot more on ticket sales than TV revenue for income, and have been hit very hard by the pandemic.

Spare a thought for those of us whose local club is a super league club. Hard for many PB 'Scousers' to understand, I know.
  • Options

Leon said:

No way he was that equivocal. All I saw was him saying "we support football authorities in taking action". Very clear whose job it is to deal with this.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Leon said:

" ..... as it stands ....."

Still, brave of you to rely on Boris's word.
  • Options
    eek said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

The simple solution would be to insist all matches have to be shown on Free to Air Television.

I suspect it will be effectively Free to Air anyway as Amazon will bundle it in with Prime.
  • Options

Leon said:

More details were expected when Dowden makes a Commons statement at about 5pm on Monday.

Speaking on a visit to Gloucestershire, the prime minister said: “I don’t like the look of these proposals, and we’ll be consulted about what we can do.”

The prime minister told reporters: “We are going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed. I don’t think that it’s good news for fans, I don’t think it’s good news for football in this country.

“These clubs are not just great global brands – of course they’re great global brands – they’re also clubs that have originated historically from their towns, from their cities, from their local communities, they should have a link with those fans, and with the fanbase in their community. So it is very, very important that that continues to be the case.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/ministers-urged-to-take-action-over-european-super-league-plan
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Fair play to Mourinho. I've been looking forwards to this day when he'd be sacked for almost two years. Now it's all just meaningless. If Klopp and Ole don't follow suit then it shows how meaningless their persona of being the people's champions really is. Rashford and other moralising footballers also need to take a stand, Kane is another one who needs to think long and hard about this move.

You do realise he hasn't walked out in protest, right? He's just been fired.

Again.
  • Options

Indeed - and a single-manufacturer racing series would be great for Ferarri.
    Ferrari are the Arsenal of F1 teams.
  • Options

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/mirrorbreaking_/status/1384082583965765632?s=21

BREAKING Boris Johnson vows to block plans for Super League 'by the elite, for the elite'

• Options

eek said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

I suspect it will be effectively Free to Air anyway as Amazon will bundle it in with Prime.
    Or Disney+
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Leon said:

Its politics4all with zero quotes. Nonsense from twitter until he adds to his initial statement.

Can't imagine he would act as fast as to say something like that anyway.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.
    He got sacked for refusing to take the players out for training and essentially telling them to go on strike aiui.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.
    He got sacked for refusing to take the players out for training and essentially telling them to go on strike aiui.
    If that's true then much respect. Klopp next please.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.
    No. The news is he was fired because he protested, and refused to take players onto the training pitch
  • Options
    In fact please can Bruce also resign in protest?

Please...
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Leon said:

No way he was that equivocal. All I saw was him saying "we support football authorities in taking action". Very clear whose job it is to deal with this.
    Yeah no way would he want to be on the hook for resolving the mess.

It would be like deliberately sticking your penis into a hornet's nest.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Spurs confirm that Mourinho and his entire staff have been "relieved of their duties". With a cup final this weekend and European football within qualification reach (probably a moot point now) it can't be a sudden decision on footballing grounds.

So come on Jose. Tell us what the chairman said when you expressed your opinions of the Super League. We know he's sacked you for *something*. Make it count.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167
    Brom said:

Leon said:

Its politics4all with zero quotes. Nonsense from twitter until he adds to his initial statement.

Graun politics feed says:

Boris Johnson has also said the government will do everything it can to stop the European super league going ahead as currently proposed. He told reporters:

We are going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed.

I don’t think that it’s good news for fans, I don’t think it’s good news for football in this country ...

These clubs are not just great global brands - of course they’re great global brands - they’re also clubs that have originated historically from their towns, from their cities, from their local communities, they should have a link with those fans, and with the fan base in their community.

So it is very, very important that that continues to be the case. I don’t like the look of these proposals, and we’ll be consulted about what we can do.
  • Options
    Sky News suggesting the government could refuse to allow police at games.

I guess they’d just fuck off abroad.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

BREAKING Boris Johnson vows to block plans for Super League 'by the elite, for the elite'

Boris detractors must be having a 'mare' today

Of all the stories that influences red wall voters this is the one and if he manages to stop or even moderate it he will be very popular indeed
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Of all the stories that influences red wall voters this is the one and if he manages to stop or even moderate it he will be very popular indeed
    Of course the irony is that all these clubs are in Labour held constituencies? (I believe so, anyway).
  • Options
    Brom said:

Leon said:

See @Gallowgate post

He has acted fast
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.
    Possible, although I would be surprised - his usual MO is to be sacked in such a way as to maximise his payoff, and committing gross misconduct doesn't fit that pattern.

Anyway, I can't find any reports of this anywhere in the mainstream news outlets, all of whom are convinced Levy pulled the plug due to performance issues. No doubt we'll find out over the coming days.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167

Leon said:

Leon said:

On the other hand, he's harking back to a model of football which is about what, 40 years out of date? Thanks largely to the rich and the elite which support the Tory Party. I can't quite see how he can reconcile those - and I'm not a footie enthusiast.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    MaxPB said:

I thought Kane had already told Spurs he wants to leave to go top team.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Of course the irony is that all these clubs are in Labour held constituencies? (I believe so, anyway).
    5/6 - Chelsea is the exception to prove the general rule.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Again.
    Possible, although I would be surprised - his usual MO is to be sacked in such a way as to maximise his payoff, and committing gross misconduct doesn't fit that pattern.

Anyway, I can't find any reports of this anywhere in the mainstream news outlets, all of whom are convinced Levy pulled the plug due to performance issues. No doubt we'll find out over the coming days.
    We've got the league cup final this weekend, his first shot at silverware with Spurs. There's literally no way this happened over nothing and there's no way that the board would have sacked him in the run up to a cup final unless it was over something very serious.

People like you who support this bullshit is why football is the way it is.
This discussion has been closed.