Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We need to talk about antivaxxer GOPers – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited April 2021 in General
We need to talk about antivaxxer GOPers – politicalbetting.com

Fauci on vaccine hesitant Republicans: "It's almost paradoxical that on the one hand they want to be relieved of the [public health] restrictions, but on the other hand they don't want to get vaccinated. It just almost doesn't make any sense." pic.twitter.com/XwCRAgvWwj

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Fortunately for us in The United Kingdom the level of vaccine hesitancy is pretty much restricted to that small number of people who think Laurence Fox is an awesome politician.

Which is why he’s running for Mayor of London...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Fauci on vaccine hesitant Republicans: "It's almost paradoxical that on the one hand they want to be relieved of the [public health] restrictions, but on the other hand they don't want to get vaccinated. It just almost doesn't make any sense."

I wonder if there is anyone on this site that matches that description @contrarian ?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Fortunately for us in The United Kingdom the level of vaccine hesitancy is pretty much restricted to that small number of people who think Laurence Fox is an awesome politician.

And lose bigly.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    tlg86 said:

He's set to get about 6 votes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

He's set to get about 6 votes.
    He would have got far more, but they will all be self-isolating....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    FPT:
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah, I remember much local opposition.

Mr. Pioneers, to be fair, the Circuit of the Americas is the best circuit added to the calendar (newly, not returning) in decades. It's very good. I agree with your general point, though.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    edited April 2021
    The best bit in the piece is this:

'This does have betting implications, if significant number of GOPers remain unvaccinated then there are likely to (be) a lot fewer GOP voters at the time of the next Presidential election which not even GOP voter suppression can overturn. At some point someone in the GOP will realise this."

Although I'm not sure the last sentence will make a lot of difference; the damage will have been done.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, the first chairman of the ESL, said the new competition would "help football at every level".

"Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires," he added.

And a global sport with its fan base in Asia will need clubs in Asia.

It will certainly not need two clubs in Manchester and three in London.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

And lose bigly.
    Well quite. Point is, the anti vaxxers here are not fox supporters.
  • Options

FPT:

Mr. Pioneers, to be fair, the Circuit of the Americas is the best circuit added to the calendar (newly, not returning) in decades. It's very good. I agree with your general point, though.

CotA is a proper track with some great undulations and fast sweeping sections. Miami is a race in a car park. Not needed. The great thing about the 2020 season was that it removed some daft races and instead gave us Imola, Portimao, Istanbul Park, Bahrain outer. More of this please.
  • Options

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, the first chairman of the ESL, said the new competition would "help football at every level".

"Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires," he added.

This is just Wimbledon --> Milton Keyes on an epic scale.
  • Options

Could Spurs move to Israel?
  • Options
    On topic, my usual response to American berks is to let them get on with it. However, this is Covid, and if America keeps the plague then we all do.
  • Options
    Mr. Pioneers, I especially liked the Turks resurfacing Istanbul and not bothering to tell anyone. The drivers were bitching but it made things very slippery and fun.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1384040561573650436

Susie Dent
    @susie_dent
    Word of the day is ‘ingordigiousness’: extreme greed; an insatiable desire for wealth at any cost.
    8:05 AM · Apr 19, 2021
  • Options
    Are any GOP politicians anti-vaxxers ?

If not then there's a big discrepancy between the leadership and the voters.

And into such electoral void anti-establishment candidates often move.

We could see anti-vaxxers trying to primary GOP politicians.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379
    tlg86 said:

I only thought Lawrence Fox was awesome after they held me down and forced the vaccination upon me. I realised I loved Big Brother.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029

Can't see the owners of Man City and PSG being happy with that.
  • Options

Are any GOP politicians anti-vaxxers ?

If not then there's a big discrepancy between the leadership and the voters.

And into such electoral void anti-establishment candidates often move.

We could see anti-vaxxers trying to primary GOP politicians.

Hasn't that happened already?
  • Options

London Arse-Spur on Sea
  • Options

And those whose Cousin Alice back in Latvia or Nigeria told them that vaccines are bad for you.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Spurs have the shiny new stadium. They stay as the London franchise I think. Chelsea can easily move. Even Arsenal could sell the stadium for development probably, move to the US.

City move to the Middle East most obviously. Liverpool and Man U stay where they are for historical reasons. Another couple of English clubs might get sucked in and move. Leicester to Asia seems logical. A Russian club will be announced as a founder too I think.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,334

tlg86 said:

I only thought Lawrence Fox was awesome after they held me down and forced the vaccination upon me. I realised I loved Big Brother.
    He’s not a bad actor. He’s not a great politician. I half suspect this is all performance art. Like when Joaquin Phoenix became a rapper.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,215
    🚨🚨🇪🇺🇬🇧💉💊💉💊🇬🇧🇪🇺🚨🚨 So. Drug industry sounding alarms over cost of #brexit red tape on supplies to Northern Ireland, warning of “sharp curtailment” of treatments to patients from Jan 1 2023 without a fix. @SarahNev and me in @FT Stay with me /1 https://on.ft.com/3gnuRp4
  • Options
    If Football is turning into sport-by-primogeniture then does London still need spur clubs?
  • Options
    @VinnyMcAv: PM cancels already delayed visit to a India due to the pandemic: https://twitter.com/VinnyMcAv/status/1384065907643670530/photo/1
  • Options

Mr. Pioneers, I especially liked the Turks resurfacing Istanbul and not bothering to tell anyone. The drivers were bitching but it made things very slippery and fun.

I suspect it was essential give the quality of most Turkish roads within weeks of being "repaired"
  • Options

On topic, my usual response to American berks is to let them get on with it. However, this is Covid, and if America keeps the plague then we all do.

All that will happen is America will have a slightly longer tail of illness and excess death than the UK or Israel. But between the vaccine and acquired immunity they’ll get there fairly soon.

The biggest problem would be in countries that have had not much infection yet but have high vaccine hesitancy, as they either stay locked down much longer to drag out the infection curve or else suffer excess death concentrated in a period their publics will really notice it.

If France is as anti vax as is said, it could be 2023 or later before they stop having flare ups.
  • Options
    Anyway what happened to that politician that recently said greed was good as it was responsible for the Covid-19 vaccine?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    edited April 2021
    Matthew McConaughey next governor of Texas?

A new poll has McConaughey leading incumbent Greg Abbott 45% to 33%

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1383953675027058688?s=20
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791

Scott_xP said:

@VinnyMcAv: PM cancels already delayed visit to a India due to the pandemic: https://twitter.com/VinnyMcAv/status/1384065907643670530/photo/1

Smart move.

India, like the EU, should be added to the red list.
    I wonder if that’s a large part of the reason for the cancellation - they want to add India to the red list but don’t want to do it with Boris there...
  • Options
    Shagger cancels his trip to India. Who knew that there was a health risk?
  • Options

If Football is turning into sport-by-primogeniture then does London still need spur clubs?

A depressing thought is Germany winning every World Cup for the rest of our lives.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    Re all those matches (60-70) and will no one think of the players, just increase the squads.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,040

FPT:

CotA is a proper track with some great undulations and fast sweeping sections. Miami is a race in a car park. Not needed. The great thing about the 2020 season was that it removed some daft races and instead gave us Imola, Portimao, Istanbul Park, Bahrain outer. More of this please.
    F1 is financially fucked and street circuits are very much cheaper to sanction.

Daytona Road Course would have been great for the drivers if not the spectators or the RHS tyres.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Smart move.

Should already be on the red list. If they now quickly add it on with the trip finally cancelled we can be clear why it had been kept off...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    edited April 2021
    https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1384067374672871433?s=20

If it's not safe for Johnson to be going to India - and it isn't - how can the country not be on the red list?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,467
    I remember people freaking out over the creation of the EPL back in the early '90s, saying "Oh shit! This means the end of football as we know it!"

No such thing happened.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,598
    moonshine said:

Spurs have the shiny new stadium. They stay as the London franchise I think. Chelsea can easily move. Even Arsenal could sell the stadium for development probably, move to the US.

City move to the Middle East most obviously. Liverpool and Man U stay where they are for historical reasons. Another couple of English clubs might get sucked in and move. Leicester to Asia seems logical. A Russian club will be announced as a founder too I think.
    Might happen, but might be needless complexity. If the big money is from people watching screens, not people in the stadia, you can keep the competition where it is. Maybe do some exhibition tours in the off-season. It cuts down on jetlag and Europe has the right climate to play football. And those funny shouty English people can provide local colour and that's so important for the viewers at home.

What's the web business meme? If you're not paying for it, your're the product not the customer?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379
    Taz said:

tlg86 said:

He’s not a bad actor. He’s not a great politician. I half suspect this is all performance art. Like when Joaquin Phoenix became a rapper.
    I like him as an actor
    He was very good in Lewis.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,467

Scott_xP said:

Smart move.

Yep, just a few days ago I saw an Air India plane flying low over Ilford, presumably on its way into Heathrow. Surprised me that they were still allowing flights from over there.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Might happen, but might be needless complexity. If the big money is from people watching screens, not people in the stadia, you can keep the competition where it is. Maybe do some exhibition tours in the off-season. It cuts down on jetlag and Europe has the right climate to play football. And those funny shouty English people can provide local colour and that's so important for the viewers at home.

What's the web business meme? If you're not paying for it, your're the product not the customer?
    Chelsea move to Bangkok? You see Chelsea shirts there.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Smart move.

Should already be on the red list. If they now quickly add it on with the trip finally cancelled we can be clear why it had been kept off...
    You might be putting the cart before the horse there.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106

I remember people freaking out over the creation of the EPL back in the early '90s, saying "Oh shit! This means the end of football as we know it!"

No such thing happened.

The PL was just another layer on the pyramid. This is literally a closed shop. It isn't the same thing at all.
  • Options

No such thing happened.

The EPL was a way of concentrating more of the wealth in the upper echelons of the pyramid but was not an attempt to completely delink participation from sporting merit.

Indeed, the reigning champions of the old First Division on the day the premier league kicked off were Leeds Utd, who have spent a good chunk of the years since in lower leagues.

This plan is aimed at guaranteeing that fallen angels like for example Arsenal, do not run the risk of being relegated and having their equity valuation tarnished.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

When I visited China a few times some years ago the unanimous view was that British football was more interesting than domestic football - possibly influenced by the fact that I was talking to English-speakers. But they were far more interested in the Premier League than I was, and perplexed to hear that I didn't have a preferred team. They all did - usually Man Utd or Arsenal for some reason.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745

No such thing happened.

Yes it did. Football became a load of bollocks. Even the use of the term "EPL" makes me want to vomit.
  • Options

Worth noting that football in China is not in a good place. The owners of the reigning champions (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangsu_F.C.) pulled their plug on the team. They also own Inter Milan.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439
    edited April 2021
    TOPPING said:

Re all those matches (60-70) and will no one think of the players, just increase the squads.

The top clubs were already asking about playing their B teams in the lower leagues - that's what the existing competitions would face. They would be opportunities for players returning from injury to have a gentle run out, and give fringe players an airing.
  • Options

moonshine said:

If they had announced that due to the extra money, tickets for match attendance were now going to be cut price and free for under 18 year olds, then they might have scored a PR win. And as you say, the product itself would be more marketable to a global tv audience.
  • Options

No such thing happened.

The PL was just another layer on the pyramid. This is literally a closed shop. It isn't the same thing at all.
    Once promotion and relegation was kept, it was a renamed First Division. It's still theoretically possible for one of the Big Six to drop down to the Championship, which isn't the case with a full franchise system.
    Look at the knicker-twisting in Premiership Rugby Union.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    https://twitter.com/AngusRobertson/status/1384068683706736646

New UK Poll: Majority support for Scottish #indyref2 in England, Scotland, Wales and NI if SNP wins majority. Poll via
    @IpsosMORI
    #SP21
  • Options

No such thing happened.

Once promotion and relegation was kept, it was a renamed First Division. It's still theoretically possible for one of the Big Six to drop down to the Championship, which isn't the case with a full franchise system.
    Indeed.

I am hopeful (but not expectant) that ultimately any "Super League" could see qualification earnt on merit. If it is then its another competition on the top of the pyramid, like the Champion League.

Any closed shop project I do not support. Its not sporting.
  • Options

When I visited China a few times some years ago the unanimous view was that British football was more interesting than domestic football - possibly influenced by the fact that I was talking to English-speakers. But they were far more interested in the Premier League than I was, and perplexed to hear that I didn't have a preferred team. They all did - usually Man Utd or Arsenal for some reason.
    Red. Those two and Liverpool have an advantage over Man City, Chelsea and Spurs as red is a lucky colour.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

'This does have betting implications, if significant number of GOPers remain unvaccinated then there are likely to (be) a lot fewer GOP voters at the time of the next Presidential election which not even GOP voter suppression can overturn. At some point someone in the GOP will realise this."

Although I'm not sure the last sentence will make a lot of difference; the damage will have been done.

The best bit is cheering on the death of your opponents?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Worth noting that football in China is not in a good place. The owners of the reigning champions (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangsu_F.C.) pulled their plug on the team. They also own Inter Milan.
    Interesting. So AC Milan stay at the San Siro and we have Internationalaze Jiangsu.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

New UK Poll: Majority support for Scottish #indyref2 in England, Scotland, Wales and NI if SNP wins majority. Poll via
    @IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Hardly surprising - every time Scotland appears on the news it's about something the Scots get for free that the English have to pay for

• Options

No such thing happened.

Indeed.

I am hopeful (but not expectant) that ultimately any "Super League" could see qualification earnt on merit. If it is then its another competition on the top of the pyramid, like the Champion League.

Is it possible we’re being played for mugs and this is about shifting the Overton window? They have no intention of it being a closed shop with no qualification or relegation and will barter that element away?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,159

Why do you insist on calling him Shagger? It's a stupid name and glamorises him if anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1384062591450771465

According to source, some of those involved in ESL call traditional supporters of clubs “legacy fans” while they are focused instead on the “fans of the future” who want superstar names
    *ESL insists modelling shows solidarity payments will be boosted £10bn Euros over 23 seasons)

This to me sounds incredibly Spanish (almost as if it's necessary to keep Barcelona and Real Madrid going)

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Would it be an appropriate comment to highlight the skin colour, religion or sexual preference of a club’s historical fan base?

If not then why is this post appropriate?
  • Options
    Charles said:

I see no cheering there, but its the best bit of political analysis which is what PB is very good at, yes.

If through a Darwinian process one party removes more of its voters than another does then that could affect future political betting.

If the GOP wants to keep its voters voting, then keeping them alive is a good starting point.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

No such thing happened.

Premiership Rugby Union is pure scum baggery. The profit sharing via share ownership means that the promoted team (unless they have one of the golden 13 founder shares) get fuck all money.

That is if the promoted team can get promoted at all with criteria to fulfil that the existing memebers don't have to meet but the new members do have to meet.

Incidentally the only reason there are 13 golden shares and not 12 is that Harlequins were relegated the year the system was put in place so an extra golden share was given to them. I bet if Leeds had went down they wouldn't have got the share.
  • Options
    If I had the time, and also knew a bit more about the situation, I'd be tempted to write a thingydoo for PB asking whether the Super League is going to be football's 3rd century Gallic Empire.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

No such thing happened.

Indeed.

Is it possible we’re being played for mugs and this is about shifting the Overton window? They have no intention of it being a closed shop with no qualification or relegation and will barter that element away?
    That's precisely what I'm hopeful for.

If qualification is earnt on the field then I will cry no crocodile tears over UEFA losing the revenue and it going to the clubs instead.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,960
    edited April 2021

Charles said:

I see no cheering there, but its the best bit of political analysis which is what PB is very good at, yes.

If through a Darwinian process one party removes more of its voters than another does then that could affect future political betting.

If the GOP wants to keep its voters voting, then keeping them alive is a good starting point.
    It doesn't have to be a matter of death, so Charles is being a tad unfair to TSE. Just catching the pox bad and having to payt the medical bills (or it happening to a reelative) is going to be very upsetting to at least some GOP voters.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

It doesn't have to be a matter of death, so Charles is being a tad unfair to TSE. Just catching the pox bad and having to payt the medical bills (or it happening to a reelative) is going to be very upsetting to at least some GOP voters.
    That's a very good point.

If they catch the pox and survive but now with a "pre-existing medical condition" that could most definitely affect how they view medical politics.
  • Options
    Hmm, before we get into the "arent republicans thick" discussions. Much of the vaccine work was done and fast tracked by trump, at the time there was leading Democrats slating the possibility of a vaccine and that it would be untested and untrustworthy.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Poor use of language, I'll agree. Death, after all, is something which is likely to be a more immediate prospect for me than for you.
  • Options

Why do you insist on calling him Shagger? It's a stupid name and glamorises him if anything.
    Would you prefer liar? I have nothing but utmost contempt for the man. Shags anything that walks, lies openly, eulogised as "he's a lad isn't he".
  • Options
    eek said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Hardly surprising - every time Scotland appears on the news it's about something the Scots get for free that the English have to pay for

Which is why the SNP pursue the strategy while SCON don't realise how it is damaging them in England.

Ruth Davidson thought she was being so clever with the 'stop WFA in England but keep it in Scotland' idea in 2017.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,159

Would you prefer liar? I have nothing but utmost contempt for the man. Shags anything that walks, lies openly, eulogised as "he's a lad isn't he".
    Just call him Boris, or Johnson?
  • Options

Charles said:

This is the *suicide* of the opponents. Like the various examples of "there is no pandemic" politicians over there who have loudly preached that its a lie who then drop dead from it.
  • Options

Just call him Boris, or Johnson?
    Why? Do people just call Keir Starmer Keir or Starmer? Which part of my namecalling jars with you factually? That he is a liar? Or that he is a serial shagger?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    edited April 2021
    Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    #nomeansnoonceinagenerationQuebecCatalonia
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1384040561573650436

Susie Dent
    @susie_dent
    Word of the day is ‘ingordigiousness’: extreme greed; an insatiable desire for wealth at any cost.
    8:05 AM · Apr 19, 2021

The main annual lottery in Spain each Xmas is called El Gordo!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

No such thing happened.

Premiership Rugby Union is pure scum baggery. The profit sharing via share ownership means that the promoted team (unless they have one of the golden 13 founder shares) get fuck all money.

That is if the promoted team can get promoted at all with criteria to fulfil that the existing memebers don't have to meet but the new members do have to meet.

Incidentally the only reason there are 13 golden shares and not 12 is that Harlequins were relegated the year the system was put in place so an extra golden share was given to them. I bet if Leeds had went down they wouldn't have got the share.
    Although brought up on Rugby Union, the organisation, and the way the game is now played has effectively killed my interest. I'll enjoy the closing stages of a Welsh win, but that's about as far as it goes.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

"Fortunately for us in The United Kingdom the level of vaccine hesitancy is pretty much restricted to that small number of people who think Laurence Fox is an awesome politician...."

I'd be interested to see some polling evidence for this.

Certainly, the only vehement anti-VAXers I know are relatives who live in Stroud and vote 'Green'.

There is a strand of Green-ery that believes vaccines are a cocktail of wicked chemicals that leave people’s immune systems damaged.

Yes I've seen posters implying that kind of stuff on bus stops around the Universities here in Leeds. Not seen any other anti vax stuff around here other than that though.
  • Options

"Fortunately for us in The United Kingdom the level of vaccine hesitancy is pretty much restricted to that small number of people who think Laurence Fox is an awesome politician...."

Certainly, the only vehement anti-VAXers I know are relatives who live in Stroud and vote 'Green'.

There is a strand of Green-ery that believes vaccines are a cocktail of wicked chemicals that leave people’s immune systems damaged.

The proportion of adults who say they would not be likely to take a vaccine has more than halved in the four months from December 2020 to March 2021 – from 14%-6%. The survey of over 8,000 adults in the UK (including 3,522 who have taken part in every round) shows that in addition to the 60% who report having at least one dose of the vaccine, a further 34% say they would now either definitely or probably take the vaccine when offered.

The pace of change in attitudes towards COVID-vaccine take up is evident in longitudinal tracking conducted as part of the KnowledgePanel study. Between January and March, 53% of adults shifted to a more positive view – either already receiving a jab or reporting that they are now more likely to do so.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/vaccine-confidence-grows-month-month-latest-ipsos-mori-knowledgepanel-poll
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Wise decision by Boris to postpone the India trip. Would have been nothing but trouble for him with cases on the rise.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

TOPPING said:

The top clubs were already asking about playing their B teams in the lower leagues - that's what the existing competitions would face. They would be opportunities for players returning from injury to have a gentle run out, and give fringe players an airing.
    Or increase the size of the A team. They will have the cash.
  • Options

Yep, just a few days ago I saw an Air India plane flying low over Ilford, presumably on its way into Heathrow. Surprised me that they were still allowing flights from over there.

Frightening: a single flight from Delhi to Hong Kong has so far led to 47 imported cases (& counting). All were required to do pre-departure testing and all were tested upon arrival. Yet, most of the cases were detected in hotel quarantine (most detected on day 12). https://twitter.com/tripperhead/status/1383769373563752455
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Anyway what happened to that politician that recently said greed was good as it was responsible for the Covid-19 vaccine?

He keeps on winning despite all your efforts so far...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited April 2021

moonshine said:

No such thing happened.

Indeed.

That's precisely what I'm hopeful for.

If qualification is earnt on the field then I will cry no crocodile tears over UEFA losing the revenue and it going to the clubs instead.
    If qualification is earnt on the field then the teams initially present don't include Arsenal or Spurs
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    edited April 2021
    eek said:

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21

It must really rub salt in the wound that the parties for which they vote set up this system and are intent on retaining it.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595
    edited April 2021

That's right, I think. Anti-vaxxers form an interesting coalition of far-right QAnon types and hippyesque back-to-earthers who don't want pollutants, including radiation from G3 masts, of any sort in their bodies. Other than not wanting the state to inject pollutants into their bodies, they don't agree on anything else.
  • Options

What's wrong with sex?

Why so puritan?
  • Options
    From The Athletic.

The [ESL] clubs have hired InHouse Communications as a British public affairs agency to promote the launch. Katie Perrior, the chair of InHouse, was formerly head of communications for Theresa May during her period as prime minister, while she also worked on Boris Johnson’s 2008 mayoral campaign.

https://theathletic.com/2527261/2021/04/19/european-super-league-explained-the-contracts-plots-and-threats-that-shook-football-to-its-core/
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    I assume that the Super League teams wouldn't participate in the Champions League?

I always thought it was a contractual commitment to play in the CL if you came, say, second in the PL, not an invitation.
  • Options
    Breaking: Tottenham have sacked Jose Mourinho. Full story to follow @TeleFootball #thfc
  • Options
    Mourinho sacked
  • Options
    BREAKING: Borussia Dortmund have released a statement saying the ECA board has agreed to reject the European Super League plans.

"Both Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund have 100% compatible views in these discussions," #BVB CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said. https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/1384074169449472007/photo/1
  • Options
    Also from The Athletic

On Sunday, reports emerged in Italy that DAZN, which owns the domestic Italian television rights, could become the broadcast partner of the new Super League but the company distanced itself from the story. The Athletic understands that Sky Sports has not been involved with Super League plotting. An extended segment of coverage both at half-time and full-time of Manchester United’s 3-1 victory over Burnley, in which pundits Neville, Roy Keane and Micah Richards delivered a scathing assessment of the plan, would appear to reaffirm that the broadcaster has little to gain from the development of a Super League.

In addition, several major broadcasters across the world are preparing to take legal action against clubs who take steps to devalue the domestic leagues. If, for example, a broadcaster has signed a five-year contract to cover the Premier League, it has done so under the impression that access to European competition will be a compelling narrative strand of the season. As such, any measures that would reduce the jeopardy and fundamentally alter the nature of the domestic leagues, would subsequently see clubs face demands for rebates.

“Broadcasters will take legal action,” insists a well-placed source. “They demanded rebates simply for fans not being in the stadium, so if the product is different, the rebates will be huge. It’s as though you’ve bought the rights to the Premier League and you have ended up with the Championship instead.”

• Options

It's the mainstream Green attitude to medicine that (normally) discourages me from voting for them.

Normally = probably will in the County elections this time since there candidate, apart from being a nice chap, is the one most likely to defeat the sitting Tory.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    Scott_xP said:

Breaking: Tottenham have sacked Jose Mourinho. Full story to follow @TeleFootball #thfc

Hahaha what a day to do it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    The German Green Party has chosen Annalena Baerbock as their Chancellor candidate for the federal elections.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    edited April 2021

Alistair said:

@IpsosMORI
    #SP21
    Incoming HYUFD
    #nomeansnoonceinagenerationQuebecCatalonia
    Just read the data, a very high 62% of Tory voters say the UK government should not allow an indyref2 within the next 5 years even if the SNP win a majority at Holyrood in May and the Tories are in power with a majority across the UK.

65% of Labour voters and 53% of LD voters by contrast say the UK government should allow an indyref2 within the next 5 years if the SNP win a majority but why would Boris care what Labour and LD voters think when he still has a comfortable poll lead?

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2021-04/scotland-future-of-the-union-tables-april-2021.pdf
This discussion has been closed.