Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Parliament must return in person and permanently – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On the assumption the funeral will be next weekend then the media and press will continue for the following following days on reporting the funeral and speculating on royal succession and gossip.

I do not expect political coverage to start much like it was much until just 2 weeks before the May elections

I have no idea if this will make any difference but who knows

The funeral may not even be televised as it will only be close family in attendance.

As I said yesterday there may be a televised State Memorial later in the year after Covid restrictions have lifted.

We have suspended campaigning this weekend but will resume next week
    I would be very surprised if it was not televised to be honest
    Under current Covid rules only 30 will be in attendance ie close family and friends only, there may not even be a choir.

Personally I would not televise it but televise a State Memorial after Covid restrictions have fully eased from late June
    Being cynical you would prefer it not to be televised so you could go campaigning

However, in many parts of the UK you could find yourself very unwelcome
    Our telephone question would you welcome any Candidate knocking on your door resulting in a 75%/25% split.against

Not sure what that would be in normal times though
    I expect it is about right BJO
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Charles said:

Interesting fact: Prince Philip’s parents met at the funeral of Queen Victoria.

Lesser known fact: my parents met at my mother’s christening
    At least it wasn’t at your own.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On the assumption the funeral will be next weekend then the media and press will continue for the following following days on reporting the funeral and speculating on royal succession and gossip.

I do not expect political coverage to start much like it was much until just 2 weeks before the May elections

The funeral may not even be televised as it will only be close family in attendance.

As I said yesterday there may be a televised State Memorial later in the year after Covid restrictions have lifted.

Under current Covid rules only 30 will be in attendance ie close family and friends only, there may not even be a choir.

Personally I would not televise it but televise a State Memorial after Covid restrictions have fully eased from late June
    Being cynical you would prefer it not to be televised so you could go campaigning

No, it will be a private family funeral of 30 people as everyone else is having at the moment, with barely any music bar maybe an Organ and a small choir.

I have no great desire to intrude on that private event for the Queen and royal family unlike you, if they are going to televise anything they should do a bigger State Memorial later in the year.

We will be resuming campaigning from next week regardless
    You are playing politics and likely to get rebuffed by the public

And it is not a private event - it has covid restrictions but that does not stop it being televised to the nation
    No I am not playing politics, we suspended campaigning yesterday (the LDs were out after we stopped) and throughout the weekend.

We will resume campaigning next week, the elections are less than a month away now, you cannot afford to write off 10 days of campaigning completely.

It is a 30 person private event family and close friends funeral, I see no reason why it should be televised, televise a State Memorial Service later in the year after most of the Covid restrictions have eased instead
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited April 2021
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Even in Scotland? This is quite an important election in Scotland. Less so, elsewhere

Alex Salmond must be fumin’ at the late Duke. Alba’s only chance was a high profile, punchy election campaign, where he can take sly but stinging shots at Sturgeon

This is quite a serious point. Democracy must go on, especially an election for a national parliament
    Well my leafletting is off tomorrow which, given the weather, I am just about coping with the disappointment of.
    8C and rainy here. Hideous. Again.
    Bright and sunny but with a wind that is brassic and the odd flurry of soft hail. I remember last spring in the first lockdown being much, much nicer than this.
    Last Spring's weather was just about the only good thing about 2020, and helped to make the first lockdown more bearable. The fact that the whole of 2021 so far has basically been cold, grey, miserable shit (and that it shows little sign of improvement) makes it feel all the worse in comparison.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    slade said:

LAB suspended till Thursday (at least) I am told
    I believe the parties in Scotland agreed to no campaigning till Monday. In England the Conservatives want 8 days of no campaigning but the other parties said sod that and are making their own arrangements.
    The last point is interesting - maybe suggests the 'others' are a little nervous perhaps?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

The nation in mourning is quite a moment and the generous tributes to Prince Philip and the Queen seem genuine, heartfelt and not only from here in the UK, but worldwide

I can just recall the Queens wedding in November 1947 but remember the death of her Father and the news that she became Queen, actually in Kenya. Also the coronation itself, as we had most of our neighbours in to watch on our very small black and white tv all day, with our former blackout curtains drawn and my Grandmother standing to attention whenever the national anthem was played, and even when it was not, bless her

I have largely been a republican for most of my life but of recent times have recognised the Queen, indeed have become very fond of her, and also the role Philip has played alongside her

I am so sorry for the queen who must be devastated.

I know my wife and I have been together for near 60 years since we first met and a lifetime of love and companionship lost would devastate the surviving one of us

I know some are unsympathetic and upset at the interruption to politics and their daily TV schedule, but there are times when events occur that are historic and this is one such event which is quite rare in our daily lives

I would hope it will bring our Country together and we could see more kindness and less conflict, but no doubt that is a vain hope, not least since Turkey has given Joe permission to send two US warships into the Black Sea following Russia's troop build up in the Crimea

Blimey! Nicholas Witchell has hacked BigG.'s PB account!
    Has he been married near 60 years

No - these are my words and expressed as someone who has been in a lifetime marriage and feels for the Queen and her loss
    We can all feel for a 95 year old woman who has lost a life-time companion.

That does not mean that it is necessary to have the same programme on every BBC channel. One channel would have been quite enough. Marking an important occasion is one thing. But there is a fine line between that and a sort of emotional bullying of everyone into feeling things they do not feel. Diana's death was the worst example of that and, ironically, the Royal Family were at the receiving end.

I am sorry that Philip has died, not least because of the impact on his family. It would have been nice for him to have reached 100 years. It marks the end of an era. It reminds us that HMQ too may not be long for this world. But he had a long life, well-lived, and a peaceful death. And since he did not want a fuss it is unnecessary for the rest of us to go overboard or berate those who do not want to listen to the reminiscences of every single person who ever met him for 5 minutes.

Pretending to feelings we don't have is silly and, it seems to me, insensitive to those who genuinely do feel grief and a sense of loss.
    I agree the coverage is OTT but it doesn't really bother me because I just don't watch it. I am, however, hoping that on PB it goes away quickly, since I spend far more time on PB than I do watching telly. This last bit being food for thought and possibly requiring corrective action. :smile:
    I’m wondering how this prolonged Duke of E coverage will go down with different communities

eg What will the BAMEs make of it? Any thoughts?
    Using "the BAMEs" in this way smacks of casual, dehumanizing racism. I won't answer the question unless reworded. And even then I probably won't.
    Incidentally, insulting the memory of the DoE is offending a minority group, for whom he is their literal God.

Isn't defaming the Gods and Prophets of minority groups racism of the vile, punching-down, kind?
    Are you trying to make one of your (iyo) "clever and subversive" and (imo) "oh dear, how to break it to him?" anti-woke points again?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Even in Scotland? This is quite an important election in Scotland. Less so, elsewhere

Alex Salmond must be fumin’ at the late Duke. Alba’s only chance was a high profile, punchy election campaign, where he can take sly but stinging shots at Sturgeon

This is quite a serious point. Democracy must go on, especially an election for a national parliament
    Well my leafletting is off tomorrow which, given the weather, I am just about coping with the disappointment of.
    Bright and sunny but with a wind that is brassic and the odd flurry of soft hail. I remember last spring in the first lockdown being much, much nicer than this.
    Last Spring's weather was just about the only good thing about 2020, and helped to make the first lockdown more bearable. The fact that the whole of 2021 so far has basically been cold, grey, miserable shit (and that it shows little sign of improvement) makes it feel all the worse in comparison.
    Having those two days of Spanish air just to make us aware of what many Europeans are already enjoying just added to the cruelty.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it will be a private family funeral of 30 people as everyone else is having at the moment, with barely any music bar maybe an Organ and a small choir.

I have no great desire to intrude on that private event for the Queen and royal family unlike you, if they are going to televise anything they should do a bigger State Memorial later in the year.

We will be resuming campaigning from next week regardless
    You are playing politics and likely to get rebuffed by the public

And it is not a private event - it has covid restrictions but that does not stop it being televised to the nation
    No I am not playing politics, we suspended campaigning yesterday (the LDs were out after we stopped) and throughout the weekend.

We will resume campaigning next week, the elections are less than a month away now, you cannot afford to write off 10 days of campaigning completely.

It is a 30 person private event family and close friends funeral, I see no reason why it should be televised, televise a State Memorial Service later in the year after most of the Covid restrictions have eased instead
    The one thing that is certain on PB is that you are never wrong until you are found out to be wrong, then wriggle your way around to try to justify that unlike most of us you too can be wrong
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

@Big_G_NorthWales @Mexicanpete Thank You

This site used to have Mods that wouldnt have allowed Leons rant without sanction

Not sure whats happened

Does anybody take the 'rants' seriously though?

It's a sneaky send-up of a certain type of florid, reactionary middle aged man, isn't it?
    Things can cross the line even if intended as a send-up, which I'd doubt on occasion.
    I refer you to my comment below. It was, on this occasion, very clearly a send-up (it isn’t always). Kinabalu is right.
    It surely ought to be possible to interact with people in a lively style without resorting to such unpleasantly offensive language? The problem here is more likely an excess of drink than an excess of satire.
    Why the fuck would anybody care what anyone else calls them on here?
    It’s not (principally) about an individual caring.

It’s about maintaining the generally high standards of interaction on this forum such that regulars continue to engage and newbies continue to feel able to jump in.

Almost every other political comment/forum quickly descends into ritual abuse such that it’s really not worth trying to make any intelligent contribution to the debate. If that happened to PB, it would be very sad.
    Spot on. Sadly a few are allowed to cross the boundaries frequently and apparently without punishment.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/jamestutt/status/1380774857034637312

Lovely anecdotal story about Prince Phillip - read down to the lunch on the beach part
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

The nation in mourning is quite a moment and the generous tributes to Prince Philip and the Queen seem genuine, heartfelt and not only from here in the UK, but worldwide

I can just recall the Queens wedding in November 1947 but remember the death of her Father and the news that she became Queen, actually in Kenya. Also the coronation itself, as we had most of our neighbours in to watch on our very small black and white tv all day, with our former blackout curtains drawn and my Grandmother standing to attention whenever the national anthem was played, and even when it was not, bless her

I have largely been a republican for most of my life but of recent times have recognised the Queen, indeed have become very fond of her, and also the role Philip has played alongside her

I know my wife and I have been together for near 60 years since we first met and a lifetime of love and companionship lost would devastate the surviving one of us

I know some are unsympathetic and upset at the interruption to politics and their daily TV schedule, but there are times when events occur that are historic and this is one such event which is quite rare in our daily lives

I would hope it will bring our Country together and we could see more kindness and less conflict, but no doubt that is a vain hope, not least since Turkey has given Joe permission to send two US warships into the Black Sea following Russia's troop build up in the Crimea

No - these are my words and expressed as someone who has been in a lifetime marriage and feels for the Queen and her loss

That does not mean that it is necessary to have the same programme on every BBC channel. One channel would have been quite enough. Marking an important occasion is one thing. But there is a fine line between that and a sort of emotional bullying of everyone into feeling things they do not feel. Diana's death was the worst example of that and, ironically, the Royal Family were at the receiving end.

I am sorry that Philip has died, not least because of the impact on his family. It would have been nice for him to have reached 100 years. It marks the end of an era. It reminds us that HMQ too may not be long for this world. But he had a long life, well-lived, and a peaceful death. And since he did not want a fuss it is unnecessary for the rest of us to go overboard or berate those who do not want to listen to the reminiscences of every single person who ever met him for 5 minutes.

Pretending to feelings we don't have is silly and, it seems to me, insensitive to those who genuinely do feel grief and a sense of loss.
    I agree the coverage is OTT but it doesn't really bother me because I just don't watch it. I am, however, hoping that on PB it goes away quickly, since I spend far more time on PB than I do watching telly. This last bit being food for thought and possibly requiring corrective action. :smile:
    I’m wondering how this prolonged Duke of E coverage will go down with different communities

Using "the BAMEs" in this way smacks of casual, dehumanizing racism. I won't answer the question unless reworded. And even then I probably won't.
    Incidentally, insulting the memory of the DoE is offending a minority group, for whom he is their literal God.

Isn't defaming the Gods and Prophets of minority groups racism of the vile, punching-down, kind?
    Are you trying to make one of your (iyo) "clever and subversive" and (imo) "oh dear, how to break it to him?" anti-woke points again?
    I'm just curious how people resolve these contradictions.

Its theology - what do you do when your belief X collides with belief Y?

The rules for which religions are insult-able and which aren't seem to be unwritten and yet inflexible. No-one can tell me why Mormonism is in the "ok to insult" column and Baháʼí isn't.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend by using ‘the’. I will rephrase

What do you think BAMEs will make of it?
    That is slightly better. But it still sounds "off" the way you're putting it.

Do you want me to show how it can be rectified? I don't mind. Not everyone has a feel for this sort of thing.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

You should either give up telly altogether or watch it while on PB. As I am, watching Gloucestershire show they couldn’t catch Covid this morning.

Leicestershire have followed on, by the way.
    I can't multi-task. That doesn't work for me. End up doing multiple things all badly. So I only do one thing at a time and I put my heart & soul into whatever it is. That goes for watching TV and it goes for conversing on here. Hopefully, this shines through with my posts.
    Well, in that case you’ll just have to give up TV.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,218
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Having those two days of Spanish air just to make us aware of what many Europeans are already enjoying just added to the cruelty.
    Southern Europe is indeed having lovely weather. I have "kind" friends telling me all about it.

Further north though they are, in some cases, getting the same shit as us

Record-breaking frosts in French vineyards:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56688031
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,647
    Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

"The nation in mourning" - is it?

Any chance of stopping talking about a dead 99 years old and giving me a fine Grand National tip??
    I can manage a Portugal tip!

Obidos is lovely, but normally swamped by coach parties in the daytime, much nicer in the evening when they have gone. Crowds may be much less of an issue this year. Sintra is worth a look, as is Coimbra an interesting University town. Indeed a self drive between Lisbon and Oporto has enough to keep occupied for a fortnight.

The shrine of Fatima is quite entertaining for Catholic kitsch, North of Oporto. Quite a pilgrimage site.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Southern Europe is indeed having lovely weather. I have "kind" friends telling me all about it.

So this year there will be lots of sour grapes in France.

And in addition, a bad vine harvest.
  • Options
    Interesting. The sense that the weather has been seriously shit for a long time is not an illusion. Just found this comment from a weather boffin on a weather boffin forum

"Look at Heathrow's sunshine hours since September 2020, the last time we had a sunny month. These are the corrected values, not the raw ones. * values are estimated.

Sep 2020: 183.7 hours (117% of 91-20 avg)

Oct 2020: 57.2 hours (50%) - dullest on record

Nov 2020: 48.2 hours (68%)

Dec 2020: 39.1 hours (71%)

Jan 2021: 30.8 hours* (50%) - 2nd dullest on record

Feb 2021: 62.3 hours* (79%)

Mar 2021: 98.6 hours* (79%)

That's a 6 month period with just 66% of the average sunshine."
  • Options
    THIRTY HOURS OF SUNSHINE IN JANUARY

Who was the guy defending the British winter yesterday? Casino?

No wonder we get quite grumpy. Thirty hours of sun in a month
  • Options
    Leon said:

Interesting. The sense that the weather has been seriously shit for a long time is not an illusion. Just found this comment from a weather boffin on a weather boffin forum

"Look at Heathrow's sunshine hours since September 2020, the last time we had a sunny month. These are the corrected values, not the raw ones. * values are estimated.

That is consistent with our solar panels comparison to last year
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Do you want me to show how it can be rectified? I don't mind. Not everyone has a feel for this sort of thing.
    This is exactly what I want! I know you're very vigilant, informed and hyper-aware of the correct use of these terms, especially BAME. Indeed, you have told us you deem BAME to the "best, most inclusive term of all", so I am eager to be schooled

How should I use it?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,624
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

The slow blurring of the lines between parody and reality...
    https://spectator.us/life/vaccine-passports-enough-chip/amp/

“ What I really want to examine in this piece is the concept of ‘vaccine passports’. The US has recently ruled out the possibility of implementing these schemes federally, and I for one am disappointed. A huge missed opportunity here. This was the one thing I felt I could get behind. The idea of being able to refuse entry or services to certain uncooperative members of society very much appealed to my social-justice roots. I am hoping that Joe Biden rethinks this decision over the coming weeks and realises just how beneficial a system like this could be.”

"to refuse entry or services to certain uncooperative members of society"

It's called Social Credit and the Chinese are up and running with it.

It is one of the reasons I am utterly opposed to an app for vaxports. We will never get rid of it and it will be constantly upgraded and extended to add "useful" features.

Seems so far the public don't care. I am hoping Starmer isn't one of them, but I have real doubts.

Except I'm not at all sure that a large segment of the population won't enjoy seeing people punished for refusing to do as they are told. You see that attitude displayed on here towards the anti-vaxxers.

That, of course, is the thin end of the wedge. Once everyone has been lumbered with an ID card then it won't be very difficult to create a penalty point system to attach to it, just like on driving licences. Points are then added for being caught doing all sorts of things of which the Government disapproves (or for not doing things that it wants you to,) and access to society is progressively cut off as the points accumulate.

It's not difficult to imagine. It's also not difficult to imagine how the more smug and censorious elements might support it.
    Increasingly we will have a defacto electronic ID system that tracks and awards penalty points. We see it already in social media, so the first reaction of announcement of any candidacy is to trawl their electronic footprint for wrongthink. We see it too in how police can track missing people, or criminal suspects via phones, cash machines, purchases and other traces. We have a surveillance society already, albeit a fragmented one, and one not organised by the State or Party.
    The fragmentation, though, is surely the point ?
    In a truly pluralistic society, such tools needn’t necessarily be dangerous, and it’s not as though we can make them disappear.
    Avoiding concentration of power is what really matters.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,541
    It would appear that large crowds of people have gathered in Windsor, in a sort of vigil of respect for HRH. Would it be controversial to wonder why the police are not dispersing the crowds, which are clearly in breach of coronavirus regulations? I believe a similar vigil was, after some time, dispersed at Clapham Common.

My only other comment is on the BBC. I've absolutely no objection to wall-to-wall coverage on one channel per medium, BBC1/Radio 4, but am baffled as to why it has to be spread across all channels on both TV and radio. Why was BBC 4 taken off air? And why was Radio 4 Extra (devoted to repeats) not left alone as a refuge for those who didn't want to listen to any more paeans to HRH?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

This site used to have Mods that wouldnt have allowed Leons rant without sanction

Not sure whats happened

It's a sneaky send-up of a certain type of florid, reactionary middle aged man, isn't it?
    Things can cross the line even if intended as a send-up, which I'd doubt on occasion.
    And of course digital is harder to read than flesh & blood. As a general comment on insults, and this is just my personal take, they sting more if delivered by somebody not in the habit of using them. So, an obvious example, the Leon construct slags me off on here, it's 'water off a ducks', regardless of how lurid the vocab and lucid the grammar. But if, say, 'BigG' takes umbrage with a post of mine and starts throwing the barbs around, calling me a "vile and revolting creature of the hard left with a black heart and no moral compass", then that is going to really grab my attention, and it's likely to make me feel quite upset for a short while.
    BigG said that to you?
    Not yet no. But one day he might and then ... no, let's just drop this, it's not nice to think about.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Bit late to the party but while the bbc in particular have gone overboard in this, in 2021 there are so many options to amuse yourself. If this was 1980 there were only 3 channels. Imagine that. My only gripe is why have the same feed across more than one channel, but other that I don’t care.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

You should either give up telly altogether or watch it while on PB. As I am, watching Gloucestershire show they couldn’t catch Covid this morning.

I can't multi-task. That doesn't work for me. End up doing multiple things all badly. So I only do one thing at a time and I put my heart & soul into whatever it is. That goes for watching TV and it goes for conversing on here. Hopefully, this shines through with my posts.
    Heart and soul into modesty as well then.
    :smile: - I did say "hopefully". And I have to have that. We all do.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We went on parental visits last September (because we were worried that the Plague situation might go to shit again and didn't know how long we'd have to wait until the next time - and thank Christ we did!) Anyway, the point being that the day we came back home again in mid-September turned out to be the last day of Summer, and it's been almost continually rotten from then until now.

We could really do with some relief from the dreary monotony of low grey cloud and icy cold breezes, as well as from the dreary monotony of death statistics.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Not in southern Spain - rainy and chilly - early spring is usually the wettest and most changeable weather of the year - before the long, hot, dry summer sets in. :smiley:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

And of course digital is harder to read than flesh & blood. As a general comment on insults, and this is just my personal take, they sting more if delivered by somebody not in the habit of using them. So, an obvious example, the Leon construct slags me off on here, it's 'water off a ducks', regardless of how lurid the vocab and lucid the grammar. But if, say, 'BigG' takes umbrage with a post of mine and starts throwing the barbs around, calling me a "vile and revolting creature of the hard left with a black heart and no moral compass", then that is going to really grab my attention, and it's likely to make me feel quite upset for a short while.
    BigG said that to you?
    Not yet no. But one day he might and then ... no, let's just drop this, it's not nice to think about.
    No - not ever ever - not for fun

I do not do bad language and excessive use is unnecessary and of course PB is a lot better without it to be fair

And I am not a saint - I have been known to say 'drat' !!!!
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

“ What I really want to examine in this piece is the concept of ‘vaccine passports’. The US has recently ruled out the possibility of implementing these schemes federally, and I for one am disappointed. A huge missed opportunity here. This was the one thing I felt I could get behind. The idea of being able to refuse entry or services to certain uncooperative members of society very much appealed to my social-justice roots. I am hoping that Joe Biden rethinks this decision over the coming weeks and realises just how beneficial a system like this could be.”

It is one of the reasons I am utterly opposed to an app for vaxports. We will never get rid of it and it will be constantly upgraded and extended to add "useful" features.

Seems so far the public don't care. I am hoping Starmer isn't one of them, but I have real doubts.

Except I'm not at all sure that a large segment of the population won't enjoy seeing people punished for refusing to do as they are told. You see that attitude displayed on here towards the anti-vaxxers.

That, of course, is the thin end of the wedge. Once everyone has been lumbered with an ID card then it won't be very difficult to create a penalty point system to attach to it, just like on driving licences. Points are then added for being caught doing all sorts of things of which the Government disapproves (or for not doing things that it wants you to,) and access to society is progressively cut off as the points accumulate.

It's not difficult to imagine. It's also not difficult to imagine how the more smug and censorious elements might support it.
    Increasingly we will have a defacto electronic ID system that tracks and awards penalty points. We see it already in social media, so the first reaction of announcement of any candidacy is to trawl their electronic footprint for wrongthink. We see it too in how police can track missing people, or criminal suspects via phones, cash machines, purchases and other traces. We have a surveillance society already, albeit a fragmented one, and one not organised by the State or Party.
    In a truly pluralistic society, such tools needn’t necessarily be dangerous, and it’s not as though we can make them disappear.
    The other thing is most things you can opt out of

You don't need to use a card to buy anything
    You don't need to use a traceable connection for most websites
    You don't need to carry a phone
    You don't need to use a loyalty card

The vaxport scheme however it will be a case of scan in and out of everywhere likely with no opt out
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jesus - we normally get 30+ in a week even in the dpths of winter!
  • Options

Idle curiosity - if one of us died tomorrow, what would we like our political associates to do? A week's pause? 5 minutes' silence? A web page with anecdotes? Me - 1 minute's silence, then a special canvassing effort as a tribute.

Sometimes death does bring out the best in otherwise fierce political types close to them. When Denis Skinner's brother Gordon (a Broxtowe councillor, with similar views to Denis) died, a Tory councillor (Tom Pettengell) who used to go walking with him in the Peak District came to the funeral and lustily sang The Red Flag - "he was a good man and it's the least I can do".

When John Smith died, Labour cancelled all activity for a week. It affected my only big fund-raiser for the Euro-Parliamentary seat that I was contesting that year, so I was appalled, but the guest speaker Denis Healey said he was too sad to be able to come. I moaned a bit to Regional Office but accepted it. A week or so later, an anoymous gift of £2000 arrived, and nearer election day another £1000. I asked, of course, and Region said privately "Yes, of course it was Denis, but he hates people making a fuss about him, so don't tell anyone."

A thread full of awesome puns will do me,
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

It's possible to take this as a very kind thing to say - and that is what I hereby chose to do.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

BigG said that to you?
    Well, I was a bit surprised because I’ve never seen him say anything like that, even to Horse whom he doesn’t get on with (and which has led to several frankly tedious exchanges).

But that makes more sense.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

BigG said that to you?
    No - not ever ever - not for fun

I do not do bad language and excessive use is unnecessary and of course PB is a lot better without it to be fair

And I am not a saint - I have been known to say 'drat' !!!!
    Bad language or abuse,
    I never, never use, Whatever the emergency;
    Though “Bother it” I may
    Occasionally say,
    I never use a big, big D –
    What, never? No, never!
    What, never?
    Well, hardly ever!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

It's possible to take this as a very kind thing to say - and that is what I hereby chose to do.
    Well, we can’t manage without you, can we?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

There are people actually campaigning? I haven’t seen any. If I didn’t come on here I wouldn’t know there were elections on.
    Do you live in a marginal council ward or Welsh Assembly seat?

If not you will of course not get any canvassing and just the election address only, if you live in a marginal ward however you would know as you would already have been deluged with leaflets
    My ward is a Labour/Lib Dem marginal and I've had 1 leaflet from Labour and nothing else.
    Has it changed hands between Labour and LDs in the last 10 years? Has it got a majority of less than 100?

If neither of those conditions applies it is not a genuine council ward marginal.

Even so, 1 leaflet will be more than most safer wards will have, they will just get the election address
    No, but the Lib Dems hold the seat, not Labour!
    So it is not a marginal ward then.

The LDs will put an election address out but be focusing their campaigning in more marginal defence or target wards for them elsewhere
    Well I certainly wont be voting for them if they cant be arsed to even work for my vote.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

I think that's right. I'm a bit more sensitive than you are over this yet I wear an insult from Malcy with pride.
  • Options
    felix said:

Leon said:

Jesus - we normally get 30+ in a week even in the dpths of winter!
    Harrumph
  • Options

Leon said:

We went on parental visits last September (because we were worried that the Plague situation might go to shit again and didn't know how long we'd have to wait until the next time - and thank Christ we did!) Anyway, the point being that the day we came back home again in mid-September turned out to be the last day of Summer, and it's been almost continually rotten from then until now.

We could really do with some relief from the dreary monotony of low grey cloud and icy cold breezes, as well as from the dreary monotony of death statistics.
    I was very depressed back in October (and November). Now I see October 2020 was the "dullest on record", at least here in London. Weirdly satisfying. And it has stayed dull since.....

The mixture of dullness AND cold would be particularly bleak in a normal year. But in a time when all you can do is walk in fucking parks? - Jesus. At least next week we can sit outside and shiver to death in pub gardens.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

The other thing is most things you can opt out of

You don't need to use a card to buy anything
    You don't need to use a traceable connection for most websites
    You don't need to carry a phone
    You don't need to use a loyalty card

The vaxport scheme however it will be a case of scan in and out of everywhere likely with no opt out
    Sure, but it’s not going to happen, I think, as too many people are against it.
    Except perhaps for foreign travel.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,069
    557,014 new vaccinations in 🇬🇧 yesterday

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 62,274 1st doses / 404,206 2nd doses
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 17,947 / 26,887
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 19,194 / 11,160
    NI 7,463 / 7,883
  • Options
    Another weather boffin is claiming that the last 6 months, in London, has been the dullest six months on record (in terms of absolute sunshine hours)

Brilliantly timed to coincide with an unprecedented national lockdown, and the closure of everything indoors

• Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

This is exactly what I want! I know you're very vigilant, informed and hyper-aware of the correct use of these terms, especially BAME. Indeed, you have told us you deem BAME to the "best, most inclusive term of all", so I am eager to be schooled

How should I use it?
    It's actually quite easy. You should have asked the question something like this -

"How do you think the wall to wall coverage of 'RIP Philip' would have gone down with our various BAME communities?"

That's fine. It does not have the "off" feel that your version did. All with an ear for language will see this. Language in general, I mean. This has nothing to do with being PC or any of that.

So, great, I can answer it now, and I guess I may as well. Get this dealt with and into the out tray. Here goes -

"What an odd question. I have absolutely no idea."

(No charge)
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    At the third attempt a lady working for the Census Office has found me at home. I requested - and was immediately given - a hard copy of the form which I have now completed and returned.
  • Options
    Tory billionaire bankrolled ‘herd immunity’ scientist who advised PM against lockdown
    Exclusive: Johnson ruled out lockdown 24 hours after meeting with Sunetra Gupta – resulting in ‘1.3m extra COVID infections’
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/tory-billionaire-bankrolled-herd-immunity-scientist-who-advised-pm-against-lockdown/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,110
    edited April 2021

It would appear that large crowds of people have gathered in Windsor, in a sort of vigil of respect for HRH. Would it be controversial to wonder why the police are not dispersing the crowds, which are clearly in breach of coronavirus regulations? I believe a similar vigil was, after some time, dispersed at Clapham Common.

My only other comment is on the BBC. I've absolutely no objection to wall-to-wall coverage on one channel per medium, BBC1/Radio 4, but am baffled as to why it has to be spread across all channels on both TV and radio. Why was BBC 4 taken off air? And why was Radio 4 Extra (devoted to repeats) not left alone as a refuge for those who didn't want to listen to any more paeans to HRH?

The spirit that asked why BBC annual reports didn't have Union flags on them and rages at any British self mockery is stalking the corridors of Broadcasting House. Execs are shitting themselves about putting a foot wrong.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    OK, so there are people out there more stupid than Gavin Williamson:

Devon and Cornwall police officers sacked after speeding
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56698186

Bad enough they did it, but filming it and sending it to a load of cops?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

How should I use it?
    It's actually quite easy. You should have asked the question something like this -

"How do you think the wall to wall coverage of 'RIP Philip' would have gone down with our various BAME communities?"

That's fine. It does not have the "off" feel that your version did. All with an ear for language will see this. Language in general, I mean. This has nothing to do with being PC or any of that.

So, great, I can answer it now, and I guess I may as well. Get this dealt with and into the out tray. Here goes -

(No charge)
    Well I don't like the term BAME and this is the first and last time I ever use it. As for "BAME communities" - what are they? You mean figuratively, I guess, but why lump individuals into groups anyway?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

The rules for which religions are insult-able and which aren't seem to be unwritten and yet inflexible. No-one can tell me why Mormonism is in the "ok to insult" column and Baháʼí isn't.....
    You are perfectly free to criticize any religion you want. Just as with comedy, there are 'punching down' vs 'punching up' considerations but this is something you either feel or you don't. It's not gospel. You don't have to take that into account if you think it's bollox. You just seem overly hung-up on this to me. I think the Muslim thing bugs you a lot, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another weather boffin is claiming that the last 6 months, in London, has been the dullest six months on record (in terms of absolute sunshine hours)

Brilliantly timed to coincide with an unprecedented national lockdown, and the closure of everything indoors

It's almost like we're being actively punished for last Spring. This Summer will probably be a total washout as well.
  • Options

Leon said:

It's almost like we're being actively punished for last Spring. This Summer will probably be a total washout as well.
    As soon as they open the borders I'll be out of here like a rat out of an aqueduct, and I will stay somewhere sunny for a loooooooooooooong time
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Just as with comedy, there are 'punching down' vs 'punching up' considerations...

Would self-deprecating comedy count as punching yourself in the face?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

You are perfectly free to criticize any religion you want. Just as with comedy, there are 'punching down' vs 'punching up' considerations but this is something you either feel or you don't. It's not gospel. You don't have to take that into account if you think it's bollox. You just seem overly hung-up on this to me. I think the Muslim thing bugs you a lot, doesn't it?
    No, not really.

It's just that if we are to live life by these rules, which can have such consequences, we should be able to quantify them. Explain them.

Ah, "feels".... So you want to reserve judgement until afterwards? Interesting

What was the quote - "This time it was law from the dark side of the gut. Serious stuff."
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

How should I use it?

(No charge)
    Is it OK to say "BAME people" or "BAME voters"? Or "a BAME person"?

Serious questions. You know you are the PB expert on the correct use of "BAME". The go-to guy
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Just as with comedy, there are 'punching down' vs 'punching up' considerations...

Hmmmmm.. Funny *and* interesting.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Think the header makes a lot of sense.

If nothing else, if vaccine passports come in then Westminster has to lead by example and demonstrate why they can have a full PMQ's and near-as-dammit normal parliamentary business because either everyone is vacccinated or has been tested or has immunity from prior infection.

If they expect that for other things then the least they can do is demonstrate that to the nation.
  • Options
    Man City 29 shots, Leeds 2.

The score (in extra time) is 1-2
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I was very depressed back in October (and November). Now I see October 2020 was the "dullest on record", at least here in London. Weirdly satisfying. And it has stayed dull since.....

The mixture of dullness AND cold would be particularly bleak in a normal year. But in a time when all you can do is walk in fucking parks? - Jesus. At least next week we can sit outside and shiver to death in pub gardens.
    And if you're really lucky you won't find your trip being policed by local authority mask enforcers in high vis vests. On the other hand...

Pub-goers will be forced to wear masks in beer gardens in some parts of England as further lockdown restrictions are eased.

One notice from Ribble Valley Borough Council told pubs in Lancashire that “face coverings must be worn by customers, except when seated to eat or drink.”

Stosie Madi, owner of the Parkers Arms pub near Clitheroe, reached out to the council to ask if the notice was a “misprint” and whether her customers needed masks outdoors.

A council official told her face coverings must be worn in her beer garden unless her customers were eating and drinking.

Ms Madi said: “You can go anywhere in this country outdoors and do whatever you’re doing without a mask, so why on earth would you need to wear a mask outside in a pub?

“The council said they had set up a task force that will go around enforcing this. For me the worry is, what happens when a task force comes into my garden and sees a customer walking from his table and going to his car without a mask?

“What do they do? Are they going to turn around and penalise me in some way?”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pubs-open-april-masks-beer-gardens-council-b928954.html

Quite apart from the stupidity, arguably verging on vindictiveness, of the council's behaviour in this case, sending out heavies to police compliance will surely cost them a significant sum of money, at a time when local government can frequently be heard bemoaning the parlous state of its finances? About the best that can be said is that at least they aren't hiking council tax to pay for it (although that merely begs the question as to what else is being cut to cover the cost...)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Lol — Leeds beat Man City.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,541
    I don't suppose anybody noticed, but I did predict on here yesterday that Leeds would beat Man City. It's in black and white somewhere. :)
  • Options
    This is pretty amazing - a nutritious grain cultivated in seawater.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/09/sea-rice-eelgrass-marine-grain-chef-angel-leon-marsh-climate-crisis

And just as with rice, it ought to be possible to selectively breed it to produce far greater yields.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

And if you're really lucky you won't find your trip being policed by local authority mask enforcers in high vis vests. On the other hand...

Pub-goers will be forced to wear masks in beer gardens in some parts of England as further lockdown restrictions are eased.

One notice from Ribble Valley Borough Council told pubs in Lancashire that “face coverings must be worn by customers, except when seated to eat or drink.”

Stosie Madi, owner of the Parkers Arms pub near Clitheroe, reached out to the council to ask if the notice was a “misprint” and whether her customers needed masks outdoors.

A council official told her face coverings must be worn in her beer garden unless her customers were eating and drinking.

Ms Madi said: “You can go anywhere in this country outdoors and do whatever you’re doing without a mask, so why on earth would you need to wear a mask outside in a pub?

“The council said they had set up a task force that will go around enforcing this. For me the worry is, what happens when a task force comes into my garden and sees a customer walking from his table and going to his car without a mask?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pubs-open-april-masks-beer-gardens-council-b928954.html

Quite apart from the stupidity, arguably verging on vindictiveness, of the council's behaviour in this case, sending out heavies to police compliance will surely cost them a significant sum of money, at a time when local government can frequently be heard bemoaning the parlous state of its finances? About the best that can be said is that at least they aren't hiking council tax to pay for it (although that merely begs the question as to what else is being cut to cover the cost...)
    This is getting beyond ridiculous. What is it with these daft third rate self important pig ignorant twats that they are positively fetishising mask wearing?

All they’re doing is making people so fed up with them they’re less likely to wear them in situations where it would make a difference.
  • Options

Lol — Leeds beat Man City.

Surrey beating Gloucestershire black and blue right now, annoyingly.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

lol - yes, suppose it would.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    I feel like 'punching up or punching down' takes on comedy, though well meaning, can lead to a poor end. Like some very unfunny person getting attention or praise because, well, they are punching up at least, so they can seek some kind of social credit for being unfunny. ANd while a lot of punching down would probably be a bit bad taste, no reason it couldn't also be funny (american comedians don't seem to mind, given how stereotypes of the poor south and so on).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    "JANICE TURNER
    Life will never be normal with Covid passports
    We’ve become too keen on being told what to do and should make a stand against a future of form-checking and fear"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/life-will-never-be-normal-with-covid-passports-mthg2grr7
  • Options
    Leon said:

I haven't been measuring it, but it doesn't feel like we've done that badly for sunshine, these last couple of months, down at the coast. We just need a bit of warmth to go with it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Idle curiosity - if one of us died tomorrow, what would we like our political associates to do? A week's pause? 5 minutes' silence? A web page with anecdotes? Me - 1 minute's silence, then a special canvassing effort as a tribute.

Sometimes death does bring out the best in otherwise fierce political types close to them. When Denis Skinner's brother Gordon (a Broxtowe councillor, with similar views to Denis) died, a Tory councillor (Tom Pettengell) who used to go walking with him in the Peak District came to the funeral and lustily sang The Red Flag - "he was a good man and it's the least I can do".

When John Smith died, Labour cancelled all activity for a week. It affected my only big fund-raiser for the Euro-Parliamentary seat that I was contesting that year, so I was appalled, but the guest speaker Denis Healey said he was too sad to be able to come. I moaned a bit to Regional Office but accepted it. A week or so later, an anoymous gift of £2000 arrived, and nearer election day another £1000. I asked, of course, and Region said privately "Yes, of course it was Denis, but he hates people making a fuss about him, so don't tell anyone."

They'll be coffin in the aisles!?
  • Options
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

Well, I’d like them to be wreathed in smiles.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is getting beyond ridiculous. What is it with these daft third rate self important pig ignorant twats that they are positively fetishising mask wearing?

All they’re doing is making people so fed up with them they’re less likely to wear them in situations where it would make a difference.
    It's out of control health and safety mania colliding with little Napoleons. And yes, there probably are some pretty sordid fetishes lurking behind this behaviour too...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I feel like 'punching up or punching down' takes on comedy, though well meaning, can lead to a poor end. Like some very unfunny person getting attention or praise because, well, they are punching up at least, so they can seek some kind of social credit for being unfunny. ANd while a lot of punching down would probably be a bit bad taste, no reason it couldn't also be funny (american comedians don't seem to mind, given how stereotypes of the poor south and so on).

Quite a bit of late 80s UK comedy fell down the political hole. Ben Elton, IIRC, later criticised it as unfunny and a mistake.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Maybe an impromptu bier festival?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Maybe an impromptu bier festival?
    Served from a barrel organ?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's out of control health and safety mania colliding with little Napoleons. And yes, there probably are some pretty sordid fetishes lurking behind this behaviour too...
    Back to my theory of Thirds & Sealion... In the event of a German invasion,

- 1/3rd would have fought to the death
    - 1/3rd wouldn't have noticed the invasion, provided the football was on.
    - 1/3rd would have queued round the block to get an armband and a position as Block Fuhrer

"The beauty of a well designed fascism, is that it gives every piss-ant an anthill to piss from."
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

How should I use it?

(No charge)

Serious questions. You know you are the PB expert on the correct use of "BAME". The go-to guy
    There are no hard and fast "rules". That's the key thing to grasp. It's all about context and tone - having a feel for what sounds ok and what doesn't. We've done an example and this should be enough to get you on the right path. Specially given you're a pro writer and therefore no slouch with 'look and feel' of language.

So, just a simple "thank you" would be nice, and we can revisit at a later point.

Unless of course you're trying to make some sort of fatuous point about the "policing of language". If so it's not really working. Not on any level.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,229
    Andy_JS said:

"JANICE TURNER
    We’ve become too keen on being told what to do and should make a stand against a future of form-checking and fear"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/life-will-never-be-normal-with-covid-passports-mthg2grr7

Needs repeating. Over and over again. If we let them introduce a covid vaxport app, then we will never return to normal.

The app and its restrictions will be the new normal.

Any MP who believes Hancock or Johnson's guff about time limited sunset clauses needs to see a psychiatrist.

• Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

No, not really.

It's just that if we are to live life by these rules, which can have such consequences, we should be able to quantify them. Explain them.

What was the quote - "This time it was law from the dark side of the gut. Serious stuff."
    There aren't any "rules" in this area that you "have to live your life by".

You've obviously taken a good look at people wallowing in victimhood and said to yourself, "Nice! I'll have some of that."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Masks stop indoor spread. Hospitals, supermarkets; theres a debate on mask use indoors at the pub (Personally I wouldn't bother) but outdoors in a pub garden is ridiculous and I've generally been in favour of restrictions
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Andy_JS said:

"JANICE TURNER

Needs repeating. Over and over again. If we let them introduce a covid vaxport app, then we will never return to normal.

The app and its restrictions will be the new normal.

Any MP who believes Hancock or Johnson's guff about time limited sunset clauses needs to see a psychiatrist.

Someone should mention that if it happened (which it shouldn't) it ought to be tied to vaccination % uptake, see how that one goes down.

If it's really about nudging folk to get vaccinated, then we should know to what level the nudge is needed.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,229
    It's surely time for the Annual Stupid Election Leaflet contest?

Conservatives in Camden have delivered a leaflet about anti-social behaviour in the local park featuring a picture of “some kind of picture of carnage - caption if necessary” Eyes

https://twitter.com/RebeccaFiler/status/1380228983585931265
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

No, not really.

There aren't any "rules" in this area that you "have to live your life by".

You've obviously taken a good look at people wallowing in victimhood and said to yourself, "Nice! I'll have some of that."
    I don't appear to be a victim of anything.

In any case, following the style of my ancestors, I make it somewhat hard to pin any.... opinions on my actual self. They learnt the hard way about arbitrary law..

The problem is that the ideas which you espouse are used as rules.

Saying "I'll make up the answer when I see the question" is evidence of unclear thought and open ended interpretation.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Well written article David, but I both agree and disagree with it.

I agree that its absolutely right that Parliament should be in person ASAP, without distancing restrictions.

I disagree that it should be done before the rest of the nation though. I think its right that Parliamentarians should be subject to the same rules and restrictions as the rest of us. Its right and important that the rest of us should be able to meet in person, ASAP, without distancing restrictions too.

Quite frankly enough is enough now. We're probably at herd immunity already, we've got negligible case numbers in this country, we've got the vulnerable all vaccinated. Time to end the restrictions domestically - for Parliament and for everyone else too at the same time.

The border should be next to be relaxed after domestic restrictions, but domestic restrictions should end first.

Saying the border restrictions can end in May, domestic in June, is just insane.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

How should I use it?

(No charge)

There are no hard and fast "rules". That's the key thing to grasp. It's all about context and tone - having a feel for what sounds ok and what doesn't. We've done an example and this should be enough to get you on the right path. Specially given you're a pro writer and therefore no slouch with 'look and feel' of language.

So, just a simple "thank you" would be nice, and we can revisit at a later point.

Unless of course you're trying to make some sort of fatuous point about the "policing of language". If so it's not really working. Not on any level.
    I wasn't making any point. You have set yourself up as PB's Wokemaster General, and you do like to school people on the correct use of terms like BAME, so I was genuinely inquiring how a Very Woke Person like you would advise on the use of this word. Because, honestly, it seems quite vague, and vagueness is no good when people can get into trouble for using the wrong word or the right word the wrong way

Saying "Coloured people" can get you sacked, saying "people of colour" will not.

However, it turns out there are no rules, it's just "having a feel for what sounds OK". And I have a vague suspicion that how YOU *feel* about it will turn out to be more important than how someone else *feels*. Which is a rum do, indeed
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

No, not really.

And just to clarify - since I sense we might be at cross purposes on my "feels" comment.

What I mean is it up to each person whether they consider the 'punching down vs punching up' distinction is important. And as to whether something IS punching down or up (or neither), this too is to some extent a matter of subjectivity.

That's all. So no call, sadly, for the rather darkly portentous "This time it was law from the dark side of the gut."

Although I know you like to slip stuff like that in to self-present as well read and deep. :smile:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Nah you need much more graveitas!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The new mask thing is the most utter wankshittery.

You have to wear one in a pub garden "except when you are eating or drinking". What else do you do in a pub garden?

Or do they literally mean you have to put it on and take it off in between mouthfuls of lager?

Or do you have to put a mask on your face when you pause in your drinking and turn to your friend to smile and chat? Can't have that. PUT OUT THAT LIGHT
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

No, not really.

And just to clarify - since I sense we might be at cross purposes on my "feels" comment.

What I mean is it up to each person whether they consider the 'punching down vs punching up' distinction is important. And as to whether something IS punching down or up (or neither), this too is to some extent a matter of subjectivity.

That's all. So no call, sadly, for the rather darkly portentous "This time it was law from the dark side of the gut."

Although I know you like to slip stuff like that in to self-present as well read and deep. :smile:
    To try another tack....

This little tableau -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/dec/21/religion.arts

Who was right and wrong, here?
  • Options
    We may have to start an actual revolution
  • Options
    Leon said:

You have to wear one in a pub garden "except when you are eating or drinking". What else do you do in a pub garden?

Or do they literally mean you have to put it on and take it off in between mouthfuls of lager?

Or do you have to put a mask on your face when you pause in your drinking and turn to your friend to smile and chat? Can't have that. PUT OUT THAT LIGHT

Someone in Mexico tried to solve this problem with nose masks.

• Options
    Leon said:

I’d rather have Hodges than this lot. He may have been a stuffed shirt but he was a good bowler and very brave when he had to be.

This lot...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

How should I use it?

(No charge)
    Based on a sample size of one (Wor Lass), the BAMEs have been watching the news coverage.

But I am currently watching 'Say Yes to the Dress'.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

I think I’d solve this problem with sacks.

The HR kind...
  • Options

Leon said:

During the U2 spy plane program, the CIA and then the US airforce commissioned studies and design for system to allow people to drink and even eat inside a pressure suit. Which resulted in solutions such as these -

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/alsj-DrinkFood.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

Only one?

Give me a call when you are up to 100 rpm....
  • Options

Leon said:

Imagine travelling back in time and showing that photo to the williamglenn of 2019
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,993

Leon said:

Only one?

Give me a call when you are up to 100 rpm....
    More like a Dura Ace post!
This discussion has been closed.