Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Parliament must return in person and permanently – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/ChloeKerr_/status/1380800740382359552

Most of these people won’t even know him. I find this really quite weird.

I met Prince Philip once as a teenager. I was in Devon on holiday during the Silver Jubilee tour. Up close he looked just like he did on the telly, bemused and bored by the crowd. He passed without speaking.

Is that enough for a Sun obituary?
    I kept away yesterday. I have nothing to say about Philip or the Office of Duke of Edinburgh. I found it best to let those who wanted to mourn, mourn.

It has been interesting from a media perpective. I am sure the BBC used yesterday as a dry-run for any future, more intense, national mourning events, hence the pulling of all programming.

Politically too, Philip's lamented passing was a fortunate divine intervention for Johnson. I remarked during Thursday night's news that the bulletin, for the first time since December, was disproportunately bad for Johnson; Northern Ireland, AZ and the Cameron, Sunak affair. The tide had turned...or so I thought, then nature took its turn.
    The news channels were all geared up for another day wibbling on about foreign holidays until the news broke at noon.

As guests were already booked, they could have asked Simon Calder for some reminiscences about Prince Philip.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Foxy said:

I met Prince Philip once as a teenager. I was in Devon on holiday during the Silver Jubilee tour. Up close he looked just like he did on the telly, bemused and bored by the crowd. He passed without speaking.

I kept away yesterday. I have nothing to say about Philip or the Office of Duke of Edinburgh. I found it best to let those who wanted to mourn, mourn.

It has been interesting from a media perpective. I am sure the BBC used yesterday as a dry-run for any future, more intense, national mourning events, hence the pulling of all programming.

Politically too, Philip's lamented passing was a fortunate divine intervention for Johnson. I remarked during Thursday night's news that the bulletin, for the first time since December, was disproportunately bad for Johnson; Northern Ireland, AZ and the Cameron, Sunak affair. The tide had turned...or so I thought, then nature took its turn.
    Convenient for Boris you say? Too convenient?

That's how conspiracy theory memes start.....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039

Foxy said:

The re will be PMQ's on Wednesday; I suspect that even if Starmer is restrained by outside events, I'm not sure DUP MP's will be.
  • Options

On topic, I agree.

I am increasingly certain I will vote Lib Dem on 6th May - the Government needs to be sent a very strong message.

I'm not especially a LibDem, but what a heartening post.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

I have been fortunate enough to still have a full head of hair at 65+. Its been an absolute pain in lockdown. I feel like its a mop on my head. Haircut scheduled on Friday thanks be to God!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to mine. I look like Emily Maitlis and it doesn't really suit me.
    As a student in the ‘90s, I quickly figured out that with haircuts at £5 and a decent set of clippers at £25, buying the clippers would quickly leave more money in the beer kitty.

I still have them 25 years later, and they’ve come in awfully handy during a pandemic!
    I did my hairdo yesterday morning, and was complimented on it in the afternoon.

We don't need no...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,097
    The verdict is in: wall-to-wall TV coverage of Prince Philip's death was a turn-off for Brits, with major channels losing primetime (7pm-11pm) viewers compared with Friday, April 2.

BBC1: -6%
    ITV: -60%
    BBC2: -65%
    C4: -8.5%
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,284

Foxy said:

No, I wasn't suggesting that at all. Of course an alternative to your implied conspiracy theory counci be God is a Johnsonian Conservative.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kinabalu said:

In his leader, David seems to be predicting that this won’t be the last lockdown and we’ll be back to restrictions this winter.

If I have interpreted that correctly I have disagree: this has to be the last lockdown. If we need to tweak the vaccinations in the autumn for new ‘variants’ then so be it. But we cannot go through this ever again.

There is imo no chance of further lockdowns unless something horribly unexpected happens with variants.
    That's probably fair, but I think that the scientists will push hard to keep some of the restrictions, and will find many receptive ears in Government. Besides anything else, if the whole system is dismantled over the Summer then the excuse to bring in ID cards is removed.
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, I wasn't suggesting that at all. Of course an alternative to your implied conspiracy theory counci be God is a Johnsonian Conservative.
    Much more plausible!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

RIP, Prince Philip.

Mr. Doethur, I just let it thin then shaved it all off. To be honest, if I'd known how much I prefer having no hair I would've done it years ago.

Yes, as would I.

But I don’t know how it was for you - I found I was really upset by going bald and wanted to put it off as long as possible. That surprised me as I’ve never particularly cared about my appearance. And I’m not in a job where I’m constantly photographed and judged on how I look, where Johnson is.

So although he looks a mess, and although I hate his guts, I think he should be cut (no pun intended) a bit of slack over this.
    He can do what he likes with his hair, it's his head.

However, I won't cut him any slack simply because the unkempt look is part of his Benny Hill/ Ken Dodd, national treasure schtick. His main role is not that of music hall comic, but Prime Minister, therefore making the effort to look more like a Prime Minister, rather than a 1970s TV character seems most appropriate. His appearance should reflect the seriousness of the role, therefore he is not taking his office seriously.

A decent haircut is the uniform of Prime Ministerial office. If any of our military personnel turned up to work looking like Johnson, they would do it only once, and find themselves whitewashing an awful lot of flagstones.
    I'm in two minds about this, as I was when it arose with Jeremy Corbyn. I like a certain disdain for people preening themselves, in the same way as I never wanted to date anyone who spent days on the beach perfecting their tans. But Corbyn was eventually persuaded by colleagues that he was letting down the movement by distracting people with his careless looks, and in the same way Johnson is perhaps letting his side down - more subtly, because it's not really carelessness because he's preoccupied with solving national problems, but a deliberate air of carelessness.
    To be fair Mr P, it was possible that Mr C didn't know any better, but I'm sure Johnson does.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The verdict is in: wall-to-wall TV coverage of Prince Philip's death was a turn-off for Brits, with major channels losing primetime (7pm-11pm) viewers compared with Friday, April 2.

Surprised BBC1 only dropped 6% - what with no Master Chef Final....

A big vote of confidence for Monty Don though.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    Cyclefree said:

Even with a full Commons, this government will continue to do whatever it likes with impunity. Thats what having an 80-seat majority does. Especially with a PM who is happy to fire his own MPs for having a brain and a conscience.

MPs voted themselves into irrelevance when they passed the Coronavirus Act instead of insisting on the Civil Contingencies Act which required the government to have its decisions scrutinised every 30 days. Fools.

The Daily Mail says Harry is coming home to face the music without his wife... What larks. Oh to be a fly on the wall. Before a word is said, get the room checked out for bugs!

How? Doesn't he have to quarantine like everyone else? And wouldn't that mean that he misses the funeral?

Plenty of people have had to miss attendance at funerals because of the Covid rules. The rules shouldn't be bent for him.

Private plane.. he would have really hard time if he came home on a normal civilian flight...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671

Wasn’t there a book called 101 Uses for a Dead Cat? I think I’ve found the 102nd.

https://twitter.com/crimeldn/status/1380575727389659137?s=21

Looking in my garden I can supply you a good percentage of the cast for the new edition.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Much more plausible!
    That being so, I wear my agnosticism with pride!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

On topic, I agree.

I am increasingly certain I will vote Lib Dem on 6th May - the Government needs to be sent a very strong message.

I'm not especially a LibDem, but what a heartening post.
    I probably will as well, but I try to vote on local issues and I have decided the LibDems are pissing me off less than the Tories are.
  • Options

Good Morning

The nation in mourning is quite a moment and the generous tributes to Prince Philip and the Queen seem genuine, heartfelt and not only from here in the UK, but worldwide

I can just recall the Queens wedding in November 1947 but remember the death of her Father and the news that she became Queen, actually in Kenya. Also the coronation itself, as we had most of our neighbours in to watch on our very small black and white tv all day, with our former blackout curtains drawn and my Grandmother standing to attention whenever the national anthem was played, and even when it was not, bless her

I have largely been a republican for most of my life but of recent times have recognised the Queen, indeed have become very fond of her, and also the role Philip has played alongside her

I am so sorry for the queen who must be devastated.

I know my wife and I have been together for near 60 years since we first met and a lifetime of love and companionship lost would devastate the surviving one of us

I know some are unsympathetic and upset at the interruption to politics and their daily TV schedule, but there are times when events occur that are historic and this is one such event which is quite rare in our daily lives

I would hope it will bring our Country together and we could see more kindness and less conflict, but no doubt that is a vain hope, not least since Turkey has given Joe permission to send two US warships into the Black Sea following Russia's troop build up in the Crimea

Blimey! Nicholas Witchell has hacked BigG.'s PB account!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

kinabalu said:

In his leader, David seems to be predicting that this won’t be the last lockdown and we’ll be back to restrictions this winter.

If I have interpreted that correctly I have disagree: this has to be the last lockdown. If we need to tweak the vaccinations in the autumn for new ‘variants’ then so be it. But we cannot go through this ever again.

There is imo no chance of further lockdowns unless something horribly unexpected happens with variants.
    That's probably fair, but I think that the scientists will push hard to keep some of the restrictions, and will find many receptive ears in Government. Besides anything else, if the whole system is dismantled over the Summer then the excuse to bring in ID cards is removed.
    We'll see. But for me - on the politics - the government will value the clear and crushing win of 'back to normal while most still struggle' more than anything else.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Scott.. your tweets drop PB audience by 90%
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2021
    The LibDems are traditionally the undisputed masters of hoovering up local and mid-term issues to build a permanent base against the larger parties.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,761

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

RIP, Prince Philip.

Mr. Doethur, I just let it thin then shaved it all off. To be honest, if I'd known how much I prefer having no hair I would've done it years ago.

Yes, as would I.

But I don’t know how it was for you - I found I was really upset by going bald and wanted to put it off as long as possible. That surprised me as I’ve never particularly cared about my appearance. And I’m not in a job where I’m constantly photographed and judged on how I look, where Johnson is.

So although he looks a mess, and although I hate his guts, I think he should be cut (no pun intended) a bit of slack over this.
    He can do what he likes with his hair, it's his head.

However, I won't cut him any slack simply because the unkempt look is part of his Benny Hill/ Ken Dodd, national treasure schtick. His main role is not that of music hall comic, but Prime Minister, therefore making the effort to look more like a Prime Minister, rather than a 1970s TV character seems most appropriate. His appearance should reflect the seriousness of the role, therefore he is not taking his office seriously.

A decent haircut is the uniform of Prime Ministerial office. If any of our military personnel turned up to work looking like Johnson, they would do it only once, and find themselves whitewashing an awful lot of flagstones.
    I'm in two minds about this, as I was when it arose with Jeremy Corbyn. I like a certain disdain for people preening themselves, in the same way as I never wanted to date anyone who spent days on the beach perfecting their tans. But Corbyn was eventually persuaded by colleagues that he was letting down the movement by distracting people with his careless looks, and in the same way Johnson is perhaps letting his side down - more subtly, because it's not really carelessness because he's preoccupied with solving national problems, but a deliberate air of carelessness.
    After a rocky sartorial start, Jezza got decent advice. His beard was well trimmed, and his suits fitted well, and fashionably up to date. A slim figure helped.

Despite his years as a lawyer, Starmer always looks a bit stiff in a suit. There is a little bit of the Imposter Syndrome about him. I think he should do more appearances dressed smart casual, with the suit saved for Parliament and set pieces. It would make him seem a bit more relatable.

Johnson will always look like a sack of spuds. He fakes that toff like ability to not care what he looks like, though contrived it carefully.

Clothes matter to some, but not all, but it is worth the effort for those that do.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

The slow blurring of the lines between parody and reality...
    https://spectator.us/life/vaccine-passports-enough-chip/amp/

“ What I really want to examine in this piece is the concept of ‘vaccine passports’. The US has recently ruled out the possibility of implementing these schemes federally, and I for one am disappointed. A huge missed opportunity here. This was the one thing I felt I could get behind. The idea of being able to refuse entry or services to certain uncooperative members of society very much appealed to my social-justice roots. I am hoping that Joe Biden rethinks this decision over the coming weeks and realises just how beneficial a system like this could be.”

"to refuse entry or services to certain uncooperative members of society"

It's called Social Credit and the Chinese are up and running with it.

It is one of the reasons I am utterly opposed to an app for vaxports. We will never get rid of it and it will be constantly upgraded and extended to add "useful" features.

Seems so far the public don't care. I am hoping Starmer isn't one of them, but I have real doubts.

There was a time when politicians in Western liberal democracies looked at how totalitarian communist societies behaved and said: "No - that's not how we do things here. We're better than that."

Now they rush to copy them. Very depressing and sinister. There is nothing good about a social credit system or anything remotely like it - certainly not if you value freedom and what it brings you. No wonder China thinks the West is on the decline when it cannot even stand up for what it claims to value most.
    Read the article I posted on Xinjian.
    It is not the West that is in decline, but China - which appears to be in a rapid decent back into dismal totalitarianism. That they imagine such a system to be workable in the long run is a delusion.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I watched the masters and live football last night on Sky Sports and no doubt Netflix, Amazon and other streaming services did well

There is a place for extensive coverage and to be honest the BBC are the best ones to do that
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2021
    An interesting fresh angle on Phil here.

Prince Philip raged at the “self-righteous rubbish” in that “bloody Murdoch rag” the Times, the cartoonist Martin Rowson has revealed.

“He turned to Brookes who bowed low and said: ‘Peter Brookes, sir, the Times,’ at which point Phil the Greek exploded … ‘The Times? Bloody Murdoch rag! Wouldn’t have it in the house! Dreadful self-righteous rubbish!’

“At which point I interjected to say that the Guardian was the self-righteous one, to which he replied: ‘Not as bad as the bloody Times!’ and stalked off. Needless to say, he went up considerably in my estimation at this point and his comments are worth bearing in mind as all those News International – as was – papers drool over his memory. He clearly hated them.”

Rowson said it was “a delightful evening” and there was no question of Philip joking. “It was a visceral reaction … it was very, very funny.”
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    54% of people who *have already been vaccinated* are still very or somewhat worried about catching COVID.

But only 29% of people who *refuse to get vaccinated* are very or somewhat worried about catching COVID.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1380623001146777605
  • Options

Good Morning

The nation in mourning is quite a moment and the generous tributes to Prince Philip and the Queen seem genuine, heartfelt and not only from here in the UK, but worldwide

I can just recall the Queens wedding in November 1947 but remember the death of her Father and the news that she became Queen, actually in Kenya. Also the coronation itself, as we had most of our neighbours in to watch on our very small black and white tv all day, with our former blackout curtains drawn and my Grandmother standing to attention whenever the national anthem was played, and even when it was not, bless her

I have largely been a republican for most of my life but of recent times have recognised the Queen, indeed have become very fond of her, and also the role Philip has played alongside her

I know my wife and I have been together for near 60 years since we first met and a lifetime of love and companionship lost would devastate the surviving one of us

I know some are unsympathetic and upset at the interruption to politics and their daily TV schedule, but there are times when events occur that are historic and this is one such event which is quite rare in our daily lives

I would hope it will bring our Country together and we could see more kindness and less conflict, but no doubt that is a vain hope, not least since Turkey has given Joe permission to send two US warships into the Black Sea following Russia's troop build up in the Crimea

Has he been married near 60 years

No - these are my words and expressed as someone who has been in a lifetime marriage and feels for the Queen and her loss
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882

Good Morning

What a lovely post. Well said. Hope you and Mrs G are well? :)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Good Morning

Thanks Gin

Yes we are, but we keep taking the pills !!!!!!!!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

“ What I really want to examine in this piece is the concept of ‘vaccine passports’. The US has recently ruled out the possibility of implementing these schemes federally, and I for one am disappointed. A huge missed opportunity here. This was the one thing I felt I could get behind. The idea of being able to refuse entry or services to certain uncooperative members of society very much appealed to my social-justice roots. I am hoping that Joe Biden rethinks this decision over the coming weeks and realises just how beneficial a system like this could be.”

It is one of the reasons I am utterly opposed to an app for vaxports. We will never get rid of it and it will be constantly upgraded and extended to add "useful" features.

Seems so far the public don't care. I am hoping Starmer isn't one of them, but I have real doubts.

Except I'm not at all sure that a large segment of the population won't enjoy seeing people punished for refusing to do as they are told. You see that attitude displayed on here towards the anti-vaxxers.

That, of course, is the thin end of the wedge. Once everyone has been lumbered with an ID card then it won't be very difficult to create a penalty point system to attach to it, just like on driving licences. Points are then added for being caught doing all sorts of things of which the Government disapproves (or for not doing things that it wants you to,) and access to society is progressively cut off as the points accumulate.

It's not difficult to imagine. It's also not difficult to imagine how the more smug and censorious elements might support it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

There was a time when politicians in Western liberal democracies looked at how totalitarian communist societies behaved and said: "No - that's not how we do things here. We're better than that."

Now they rush to copy them. Very depressing and sinister. There is nothing good about a social credit system or anything remotely like it - certainly not if you value freedom and what it brings you. No wonder China thinks the West is on the decline when it cannot even stand up for what it claims to value most.
    It is not the West that is in decline, but China - which appears to be in a rapid decent back into dismal totalitarianism. That they imagine such a system to be workable in the long run is a delusion.
    It is more workable than it used to be thaks to modern technology. Also modern technology is so popular that people willingly adopt it for convenience.

I think that the problems come with the crackdown rather than the technology. China is a very unequal society, with a lot of wealth and power concentrated in a few hands, with a large middle class, and even larger proletariat.

As long as people feel that they are making economic progress they will probably put up with it, but the seeds of uprising are always there. The lack of ability to peacefully protest and have grievances addressed makes violent protest more likely.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Even with a full Commons, this government will continue to do whatever it likes with impunity. Thats what having an 80-seat majority does. Especially with a PM who is happy to fire his own MPs for having a brain and a conscience.

MPs voted themselves into irrelevance when they passed the Coronavirus Act instead of insisting on the Civil Contingencies Act which required the government to have its decisions scrutinised every 30 days. Fools.

The Daily Mail says Harry is coming home to face the music without his wife... What larks. Oh to be a fly on the wall. Before a word is said, get the room checked out for bugs!

How? Doesn't he have to quarantine like everyone else? And wouldn't that mean that he misses the funeral?

Plenty of people have had to miss attendance at funerals because of the Covid rules. The rules shouldn't be bent for him.

Has a date been set for the funeral? He might have enough notice.

Harry has always had a good relationship with the Queen, it seems to be the apparatchicks and courtiers that get his goat, and of course the British Press.

"Two pieces Daily Mail columnists can have ready to go right now:

1. Why Meghan Markle’s presence at the funeral is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion.

2. Why Meghan Markle’s absence from the funeral, is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion."

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1380503080245063681?s=19

Equally true for Harry. It is interesting that it is the supposedly Royalists that are egging up Harry as the issue.

It would be nice if he was able to attend his grandfather's funeral. But the Covid rules should not be bent for him. Meghan is in any case probably too far advanced in her pregnancy to travel.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited April 2021
    On topic, Parliament's willingness to surrender the Government emergency powers, and essentially to give up scrutinising the executive (quite unnecessarily in my opinion, at any rate after the first few days of the first lockdown) has been one of the worst aspects of this epidemic.

One cannot perhaps blame a government too much for trying to accumulate more power, any more than one can blame a stunk for stinking. But Starmer's supine acceptance of this and his pathetic non-opposition has been dismal.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

We'll see. But for me - on the politics - the government will value the clear and crushing win of 'back to normal while most still struggle' more than anything else.
    Most likely they'll pretend that whatever horrible future of being bossed around by them and tracked everywhere *is* normal, but that we just "need to be careful." That'll go down a storm amongst their legions of elderly supporters, many of whom have been hiding in their houses - making a terrified dash in masks to a supermarket once a week, and nothing else - for such a long time that they may never go back to anything like life as it was. And because there are a lot of them and they vote religiously, their mindset of fear can then be forced upon the rest of us.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    GIN1138 said:

Good Morning

Yep first class post. Very well put by BigG
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    The word must is not to be used to princes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    144 pages in the Mail. One gets the impression might just have been preplanned...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Harry has always had a good relationship with the Queen, it seems to be the apparatchicks and courtiers that get his goat, and of course the British Press.

1. Why Meghan Markle’s presence at the funeral is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion.

2. Why Meghan Markle’s absence from the funeral, is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion."

Equally true for Harry. It is interesting that it is the supposedly Royalists that are egging up Harry as the issue.

It would be nice if he was able to attend his grandfather's funeral. But the Covid rules should not be bent for him. Meghan is in any case probably too far advanced in her pregnancy to travel.
    Whether he can come depends on the date of the funeral. If it's more than five days away then it is possible to do this within the rules.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

Yes, Parliament should return but Boris and perhaps the government generally prefers an easier life.

But what happens when major parts of the civil service are moved outside London? Either ministers go with them, in which case they will not be in the Commons most of the time, or ministers stay in London and lose control of their departments.

I meant to make that point and forgot as I got into the rhythm of writing what I did. But yes, it's another excellent reason why everything should be kept in one city (which inevitably means London).
  • Options

Good Morning

No - these are my words and expressed as someone who has been in a lifetime marriage and feels for the Queen and her loss
    Apologies for my quip. Like any bereavement, I accept those people who need to mourn should be allowed to mourn.

I have my own views on Prince Philip, and as my well known evil wokery would suggest, they are not as positive as your own. This is a blog of like-minded people to yourself, so your eulogy is appropriate here.

As part of the wider picture however I am disappointed that the national media feels it is entitled to impose its view of Philip on me. I didn't appreciate Leon's tirade of vitriolic, foul-mouthed, abuse towards BJO last night for politely expressing a view that the BBC's response to the news was not proportional to the event.
    Thank you @Mexicanpete

As you will note from my comments I have been a republican for a large part of my life but can associate with the Queen and Prince Philip and have enormous admiration for their sense of duty and their service to the nation

I have to say I was surprised at all the media cancelling their programmes and think it was unnecessary and could have been left to the BBC and Sky to undertake the coverage

On your last sentence I concur
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

More advanced in her pregnancy, than when she flew to the US for a celebrity party held in her name just before her first was born?

Great excuse for her though, many birds and one stone.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Another good - and very frightening - article on Chinese Social Credit systems is this one from Wired:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

Well worth a read in spite of its length as it goes into detail about what the Social Credit system is and what it has the potential to be.

"Liu Hu is a journalist in China, writing about censorship and government corruption. Because of his work, Liu has been arrested and fined — and blacklisted. Liu found he was named on a List of Dishonest Persons Subject to Enforcement by the Supreme People's Court as "not qualified" to buy a plane ticket, and banned from travelling some train lines, buying property, or taking out a loan.

"There was no file, no police warrant, no official advance notification. They just cut me off from the things I was once entitled to," he told The Globe and Mail. "What's really scary is there's nothing you can do about it. You can report to no one. You are stuck in the middle of nowhere."

• Options

Johnson can only do that when he can threaten an election that he could win without them. That was a credible position in the autumn of 2019; I'm not so sure it is now.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Except I'm not at all sure that a large segment of the population won't enjoy seeing people punished for refusing to do as they are told. You see that attitude displayed on here towards the anti-vaxxers.

That, of course, is the thin end of the wedge. Once everyone has been lumbered with an ID card then it won't be very difficult to create a penalty point system to attach to it, just like on driving licences. Points are then added for being caught doing all sorts of things of which the Government disapproves (or for not doing things that it wants you to,) and access to society is progressively cut off as the points accumulate.

It's not difficult to imagine. It's also not difficult to imagine how the more smug and censorious elements might support it.
    Increasingly we will have a defacto electronic ID system that tracks and awards penalty points. We see it already in social media, so the first reaction of announcement of any candidacy is to trawl their electronic footprint for wrongthink. We see it too in how police can track missing people, or criminal suspects via phones, cash machines, purchases and other traces. We have a surveillance society already, albeit a fragmented one, and one not organised by the State or Party.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

I expect Harry to attend but I think Megan would be wise to remain in the US as it could end up being all about the rift rather than the Queen and her loss
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Good Morning

Yep first class post. Very well put by BigG
    Thank you Richard
  • Options

Good Morning

Apologies for my quip. Like any bereavement, I accept those people who need to mourn should be allowed to mourn.

I have my own views on Prince Philip, and as my well known evil wokery would suggest, they are not as positive as your own. This is a blog of like-minded people to yourself, so your eulogy is appropriate here.

As part of the wider picture however I am disappointed that the national media feels it is entitled to impose its view of Philip on me. I didn't appreciate Leon's tirade of vitriolic, foul-mouthed, abuse towards BJO last night for politely expressing a view that the BBC's response to the news was not proportional to the event.
    Mr P. You are not alone!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    @Big_G_NorthWales @Mexicanpete Thank You

This site used to have Mods that wouldnt have allowed Leons rant without sanction

Not sure whats happened
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Increasingly we will have a defacto electronic ID system that tracks and awards penalty points. We see it already in social media, so the first reaction of announcement of any candidacy is to trawl their electronic footprint for wrongthink. We see it too in how police can track missing people, or criminal suspects via phones, cash machines, purchases and other traces. We have a surveillance society already, albeit a fragmented one, and one not organised by the State or Party.
    Some of it is organised by the state, for instance surveillance at the borders, or our gigantic and essentially unaccountable CCTV and electronic intelligence systems. It is one of those areas that the more you read about it, the more frightening it becomes, especially when you realise that few people are that bothered.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

The LibDems are traditionally the undisputed masters of hoovering up local and mid-term issues to build a permanent base against the larger parties.

"Tough on potholes, soft on pot."

A winning combination for the local elections.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,097
    💥 William Hague joins The Times.
    He’ll be appearing on Tuesdays.

Great interview with @WilliamJHague to kick things off

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aff5a960-994c-11eb-929e-8d73842419de?shareToken=af814722f26331f66414857c375cc711
  • Options

No, I'm noting that some scientists believe there will be (or should be) more restrictions next winter. My own opinion (mentioned in the article) is that the vaccines and decent border controls against threatening mutated strains, should enable life to return to normalish, permanently.

But - crucially - it's not so much the actual threat as the perceived threat that drives decisions, and the government could easily delay a return to parliamentary normality on account of perceived threats, especially ones driven by 'the science'.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

144 pages in the Mail. One gets the impression might just have been preplanned...

IIRC such pieces are often pre-prepared. I believe it was the Times which, at one time at any rate, kept a file of obituaries for well known but elderly figures, which some unlucky staffer had to update every five years or so if they hadn't been used.

It's quite probable that a dozen or so 'lucky' junior journalists will be, next week, reviewing the pieces on file for HMQ.In the various editorial offices.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

We can all feel for a 95 year old woman who has lost a life-time companion.

That does not mean that it is necessary to have the same programme on every BBC channel. One channel would have been quite enough. Marking an important occasion is one thing. But there is a fine line between that and a sort of emotional bullying of everyone into feeling things they do not feel. Diana's death was the worst example of that and, ironically, the Royal Family were at the receiving end.

I am sorry that Philip has died, not least because of the impact on his family. It would have been nice for him to have reached 100 years. It marks the end of an era. It reminds us that HMQ too may not be long for this world. But he had a long life, well-lived, and a peaceful death. And since he did not want a fuss it is unnecessary for the rest of us to go overboard or berate those who do not want to listen to the reminiscences of every single person who ever met him for 5 minutes.

Pretending to feelings we don't have is silly and, it seems to me, insensitive to those who genuinely do feel grief and a sense of loss.
    They had the same cookery programme on R4 and R4 extra jeeez
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

IIRC such pieces are often pre-prepared. I believe it was the Times which, at one time at any rate, kept a file of obituaries for well known but elderly figures, which some unlucky staffer had to update every five years or so if they hadn't been used.

It's quite probable that a dozen or so 'lucky' junior journalists will be, next week, reviewing the pieces on file for HMQ.In the various editorial offices.
    Indeed it is prudent to do so. I think the Government keeps plans for the funerals of great national figures too. Though that is not without its pitfalls. I remember reading that plans for Churchill's funeral had to be updated many times because he kept living and his pallbearers kept dying!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Scott_xP said:

Yes - I was furious about that!

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Whether he can come depends on the date of the funeral. If it's more than five days away then it is possible to do this within the rules.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Some of it is organised by the state, for instance surveillance at the borders, or our gigantic and essentially unaccountable CCTV and electronic intelligence systems. It is one of those areas that the more you read about it, the more frightening it becomes, especially when you realise that few people are that bothered.
    1) The 'digital ID consultation' ended weeks ago, followed by 2) one on COVID certificates, sorry vaccine passports (aka cattle tags). My response to 1) didn't work properly, which seems standard for government IT. My complaint about them only getting a half-response was ignored.

The EU no less has been organising 2) since 2018. All member states except Denmark and Ireland already have ID cards, although not on their tracking devices, sorry 'phones' and not all countries demand you carry it on your person.

UK social credit system preparations have been underway a few years. My (Tory) MP wouldn't comment on or deny it although I doubt backbenchers are in the loop anyway.

I now assume COVID stands for covert-ID.

A tier 4 or lockdown in winter 2021-22 seems highly likely, though I'd want decent odds to make it a value bet :)
  • Options
    The latest AZ setback: hospital A&E units now swamped with worried recipients with headaches, apparently.

One suspects that the number crunchers at the DHSC will, if they haven't done so already, be working out whether or not they can get away without using any more of it when the program finally gets to work in earnest on the under 50s.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

That does not mean that it is necessary to have the same programme on every BBC channel. One channel would have been quite enough. Marking an important occasion is one thing. But there is a fine line between that and a sort of emotional bullying of everyone into feeling things they do not feel. Diana's death was the worst example of that and, ironically, the Royal Family were at the receiving end.

I am sorry that Philip has died, not least because of the impact on his family. It would have been nice for him to have reached 100 years. It marks the end of an era. It reminds us that HMQ too may not be long for this world. But he had a long life, well-lived, and a peaceful death. And since he did not want a fuss it is unnecessary for the rest of us to go overboard or berate those who do not want to listen to the reminiscences of every single person who ever met him for 5 minutes.

Pretending to feelings we don't have is silly and, it seems to me, insensitive to those who genuinely do feel grief and a sense of loss.
    Good morning.

"The nation in mourning" - is it?

Any chance of stopping talking about a dead 99 years old and giving me a fine Grand National tip??
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Indeed it is prudent to do so. I think the Government keeps plans for the funerals of great national figures too. Though that is not without its pitfalls. I remember reading that plans for Churchill's funeral had to be updated many times because he kept living and his pallbearers kept dying!
    I seem to recall in one of the films about Princess Diana that the Queen Mother was furious that the plans for her funeral were being adapted for Diana's.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The Telegraph had a long interview with their own obituaries editor a few years ago, but annoyingly I can’t find it now after too many platform changes on their website.

Yes, they have an awful lot written and ready to go, for a whole host of notable figures. They keep careful track of people who are becoming old or sick; or who are doing something newsworthy and dangerous, such as senior military figures, astronauts and racing drivers. Their plan is to quickly add a note on the circumstances of their death, and be able to publish within an hour or two if a particular death leads the news. The ones that get them are the sudden accidents, which no-one would have predicted.

The Royals, of course, are very different. The press would have had everything ready to go at the push of a button yesterday, carefully planned every few weeks for the last few decades.
  • Options
    On topic:
    The House of Commons chamber should be modernised.
    Individual allocated seats and desks for each MP.
    Electronic voting.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,813
    Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

Any chance of stopping talking about a dead 99 years old and giving me a fine Grand National tip??
    The best tip is dont be the horse, taking on those fences is more deadly than having caught covid.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

Don’t bet good money on a four mile handicapped steeplechase? ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948

On topic:
    Electronic voting.

They cannot even agree on how to stop the building falling to bits without dragging it out for years, so afraid of public reaction to the cost. A revamp ain't happening.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.
    Thought so. How long is this royal thing going to last?
  • Options

On topic:
    Electronic voting.

Individual allocated seats? Desks? This is the sort of radicalism that will lead to chaos! Newly elected MPs might decide they have a bit of power rather than being forced to stand at the edge of the room in their rightful place.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

I wish!

My son is the tipster in our family. He's got a good track record, once winning on a 33-1 outsider. He was so fast down to the bookies that time he could have won the bloody race himself. Alas, he's working today.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.
    At least until after the funeral in just over a week I guess.

• Options

On topic:
    Electronic voting.

Individual allocated seats? Desks? This is the sort of radicalism that will lead to chaos! Newly elected MPs might decide they have a bit of power rather than being forced to stand at the edge of the room in their rightful place.
    As I posted upthread, it's all Churchill's fault. So zero chance Johnson will agree to any changes.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.
    This weekend, then back to normal on Monday, until the funeral and the day either side of it.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.
    Pretty intensely over the weekend, then sporadically up until the funeral, I imagine. It's been less than 24 hours, people are acting like they've never experienced a media craze before.

I reiterate advice for people to already start preparing a netflix list to see them through the 2 weeks or so of coverage there will be when Her Majesty dies.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,426

Good Morning

It wasn’t particularly vitriolic, just surreal. And he did somewhat stoke it by telling me to ‘fuck my Fascist arse’?

Also, BigJohnOwls - who I am genuinely sure is a lovely guy - had been wibbling on for hours about the disgraceful amount of airtime BBC TV was devoting to the Duke of Ed.

Fine to make this point once. Not 146 times. Especially not in an era when you have 6 zillion channels to choose from and the entire internet.

He reminded me of a complaints letter in a Monty Python book. ‘I’m writing to complain about my neighbour parading around naked in his living room. I know he does this because if I climb on the wardrobe and lean all the way to my right I can see him’
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aff5a960-994c-11eb-929e-8d73842419de?shareToken=af814722f26331f66414857c375cc711

I was surprised by the tediousness of that interview. Hague always struck me as a smart, witty man. Not in that piece. Zzzzzz.

Maybe it was the journalist’s fault and he will be better in his column
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.
    Pretty intensely over the weekend, then sporadically up until the funeral, I imagine. It's been less than 24 hours, people are acting like they've never experienced a media craze before.

I reiterate advice for people to already start preparing a netflix list to see them through the 2 weeks or so of coverage there will be when Her Majesty dies.
    Finished netflix in lockdown 1, amazon prime in lockdown 2, might need to sign up to sky box sets!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Most likely but it seems the funeral will be just a private family affair not a state affair given continued Covid restrictions and might not even be televised.

There may well be a full State Memorial service later in the year after all the Covid restrictions have been lifted at the end of June instead.
  • Options
    I must say as over the top as coverage of royal stuff always is - as a monarchist, I hardly ever follow any royal coverage for just that reason - I do find people talking about having media 'imposing' thing son them to be pretty amusing.

It's exactly the sort of thing people moan about media outlets whenever they cover something they don't like, the left/right media trying to indocrinate people or some other such rubbish, yet it's presented like the media is beaming this stuff into our brains, inescapable, rather than, you know, it just requiring a bit of extra effort to avoid the reporting on something you don't care about.

It's the crafting of some grand, operatic battle rather than just plain old, regular moaning about news coverage, no different to when people say there's too much focus on entertainment news, or american news. And when we all know that people moaning about the coverage is as much a part of the tradition as the coverage.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Finished netflix in lockdown 1, amazon prime in lockdown 2, might need to sign up to sky box sets!
    This is where those with extensive DVD collections can get smug. A friend lent me the first season of Jane the Virgin, which from the first few episodes appears to be the only thing on this planet that is more of a ridiculous soap opera than the royal family.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,341

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Lol @ "finished". Truly impressed
  • Options
    I do also like this separate complaints line for people upset about the coverage though, as it covers every scenario - it may well be there are a very high number, but it also ensures a filter so that even if it is not that many they don't interfere or swamp the other complaints going in, so those can still be dealt with efficiently.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

This is where those with extensive DVD collections can get smug. A friend lent me the first season of Jane the Virgin, which from the first few episodes appears to be the only thing on this planet that is more of a ridiculous soap opera than the royal family.
    Fortunately the Masters is on.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Followed a few months later of course by the coronation of King Charles III and the lead up to that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Followed a few months later of course by the coronation of King Charles III and the lead up to that
    Thought he was going to be George VII
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Gone are the days when they restricted the TV coverage then?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

No one is forced to pretend to have feelings they don't have. I think calling it emotional bullying trivialises bullying and is another example of people playing the victim because they don't like the coverage. People are not victimised by over the top media coverage.

I remember being distinctly bored by all the Diana stuff when I was a child, so my only engagement with it is watching a couple of 3 minute videos and seeing people on here talking about how they feel pressured and bullied, and I just think that is comical.

Comparing it to bullying is borderline offensive. Some reactionary idiot is going to complain about others not showing due respect - not tweeting condolences and other crap - but I don't believe any reasonable person would care if someone were to say they don't care about any of this. But over the top media coverage is not analagous to bullying, and I am astounded you of all people would make such a lazy, preposterous argument. I don't think there is a fine line there at all, it is a massive great line.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Gods, I might prefer footage of people laying wreathes over audio of newsreaders saying don't lay wreathes.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Most interesting disclosure in that is that Hague says he voted for Hunt over Boris in 2019.

Also Hague now lives in the rather grand Cyfronydd Hall in Powys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyfronydd_Hall

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/country-houses-for-sale-and-property-news/welsh-border-properties-for-sale-4432
  • Options
    I’ve just gone back to check my interaction with the venerable BigJohnOwls. I know I can get boisterous and I am happy to apologise when I overstep. I don’t think I did, on this occasion

Here is my first grievous assault on him. After he’d complained about the BBC for the 27th time

‘Fuck off, you smelly socialist hobgoblin. If you don't like hysterical 24/7 coverage of the TRAGIC DEATH OF A 99 YEAR OLD MAN, TAKEN BEFORE HIS TIME go and live IN ANOTHER COUNTRY’

Now, I admit ‘fuck off, you smelly socialist hobgoblin’ is not the politest remark in history. It would be a rare occasion when I’d say that to my mother, for instance, or indeed the present Bishop of Truro.

By the standards of PB, however, it is not exceptional. Designed to entertain as much as offend.

The rest of my comment is clearly satire aimed at ultra-royalists, and the BBC, so it was pretty witless of BJO - or anyone else - to get the hump.

BJO replied by telling me to Fuck off you Fascist, blah blah blah, and after that it descended into a traditional PB slanging match

No apologies, this time
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited April 2021

This site used to have Mods that wouldnt have allowed Leons rant without sanction

Not sure whats happened

Does anybody take the 'rants' seriously though?

It's a sneaky send-up of a certain type of florid, reactionary middle aged man, isn't it?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Gods, I might prefer footage of people laying wreathes over audio of newsreaders saying don't lay wreathes.
    Now that is sacrilegious and almost worthy of a Leon style rant.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

The late King died on the 6th February 1952 and the coronation took place on 2nd June 1953

I year and 4 months later
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

It's a sneaky send-up of a certain type of florid, reactionary middle aged man, isn't it?
    Things can cross the line even if intended as a send-up, which I'd doubt on occasion.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Now that is sacrilegious and almost worthy of a Leon style rant.....
    I may as well add I find horse racing to be interminably dull as well. Seems like the horses can go faster without jockeys, and it's always the same.

No one bad mouth Cricket though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Good Morning

It wasn’t particularly vitriolic, just surreal. And he did somewhat stoke it by telling me to ‘fuck my Fascist arse’?

Also, BigJohnOwls - who I am genuinely sure is a lovely guy - had been wibbling on for hours about the disgraceful amount of airtime BBC TV was devoting to the Duke of Ed.

Fine to make this point once. Not 146 times. Especially not in an era when you have 6 zillion channels to choose from and the entire internet.

He reminded me of a complaints letter in a Monty Python book. ‘I’m writing to complain about my neighbour parading around naked in his living room. I know he does this because if I climb on the wardrobe and lean all the way to my right I can see him’
    My interpretation was BJO's comment was a reaction (probably best left unwritten) to your vile unparliamentary slur on him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

Things can cross the line even if intended as a send-up, which I'd doubt on occasion.
    I refer you to my comment below. It was, on this occasion, very clearly a send-up (it isn’t always). Kinabalu is right.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Reckless idea
This discussion has been closed.