Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Parliament must return in person and permanently – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

The nation in mourning is quite a moment and the generous tributes to Prince Philip and the Queen seem genuine, heartfelt and not only from here in the UK, but worldwide

I can just recall the Queens wedding in November 1947 but remember the death of her Father and the news that she became Queen, actually in Kenya. Also the coronation itself, as we had most of our neighbours in to watch on our very small black and white tv all day, with our former blackout curtains drawn and my Grandmother standing to attention whenever the national anthem was played, and even when it was not, bless her

I have largely been a republican for most of my life but of recent times have recognised the Queen, indeed have become very fond of her, and also the role Philip has played alongside her

I am so sorry for the queen who must be devastated.

I know my wife and I have been together for near 60 years since we first met and a lifetime of love and companionship lost would devastate the surviving one of us

I know some are unsympathetic and upset at the interruption to politics and their daily TV schedule, but there are times when events occur that are historic and this is one such event which is quite rare in our daily lives

I would hope it will bring our Country together and we could see more kindness and less conflict, but no doubt that is a vain hope, not least since Turkey has given Joe permission to send two US warships into the Black Sea following Russia's troop build up in the Crimea

Blimey! Nicholas Witchell has hacked BigG.'s PB account!
    Has he been married near 60 years

No - these are my words and expressed as someone who has been in a lifetime marriage and feels for the Queen and her loss
    We can all feel for a 95 year old woman who has lost a life-time companion.

That does not mean that it is necessary to have the same programme on every BBC channel. One channel would have been quite enough. Marking an important occasion is one thing. But there is a fine line between that and a sort of emotional bullying of everyone into feeling things they do not feel. Diana's death was the worst example of that and, ironically, the Royal Family were at the receiving end.

I am sorry that Philip has died, not least because of the impact on his family. It would have been nice for him to have reached 100 years. It marks the end of an era. It reminds us that HMQ too may not be long for this world. But he had a long life, well-lived, and a peaceful death. And since he did not want a fuss it is unnecessary for the rest of us to go overboard or berate those who do not want to listen to the reminiscences of every single person who ever met him for 5 minutes.

Pretending to feelings we don't have is silly and, it seems to me, insensitive to those who genuinely do feel grief and a sense of loss.
    Good morning.

"The nation in mourning" - is it?

Any chance of stopping talking about a dead 99 years old and giving me a fine Grand National tip??
    No.
    Thought so. How long is this royal thing going to last?
    Pretty intensely over the weekend, then sporadically up until the funeral, I imagine. It's been less than 24 hours, people are acting like they've never experienced a media craze before.

I reiterate advice for people to already start preparing a netflix list to see them through the 2 weeks or so of coverage there will be when Her Majesty dies.
    Followed a few months later of course by the coronation of King Charles III and the lead up to that
    The late King died on the 6th February 1952 and the coronation took place on 2nd June 1953

I year and 4 months later
    So months not days, weeks or years later then
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

The nation in mourning is quite a moment and the generous tributes to Prince Philip and the Queen seem genuine, heartfelt and not only from here in the UK, but worldwide

I can just recall the Queens wedding in November 1947 but remember the death of her Father and the news that she became Queen, actually in Kenya. Also the coronation itself, as we had most of our neighbours in to watch on our very small black and white tv all day, with our former blackout curtains drawn and my Grandmother standing to attention whenever the national anthem was played, and even when it was not, bless her

I have largely been a republican for most of my life but of recent times have recognised the Queen, indeed have become very fond of her, and also the role Philip has played alongside her

I know my wife and I have been together for near 60 years since we first met and a lifetime of love and companionship lost would devastate the surviving one of us

I know some are unsympathetic and upset at the interruption to politics and their daily TV schedule, but there are times when events occur that are historic and this is one such event which is quite rare in our daily lives

I would hope it will bring our Country together and we could see more kindness and less conflict, but no doubt that is a vain hope, not least since Turkey has given Joe permission to send two US warships into the Black Sea following Russia's troop build up in the Crimea

No - these are my words and expressed as someone who has been in a lifetime marriage and feels for the Queen and her loss

That does not mean that it is necessary to have the same programme on every BBC channel. One channel would have been quite enough. Marking an important occasion is one thing. But there is a fine line between that and a sort of emotional bullying of everyone into feeling things they do not feel. Diana's death was the worst example of that and, ironically, the Royal Family were at the receiving end.

I am sorry that Philip has died, not least because of the impact on his family. It would have been nice for him to have reached 100 years. It marks the end of an era. It reminds us that HMQ too may not be long for this world. But he had a long life, well-lived, and a peaceful death. And since he did not want a fuss it is unnecessary for the rest of us to go overboard or berate those who do not want to listen to the reminiscences of every single person who ever met him for 5 minutes.

Pretending to feelings we don't have is silly and, it seems to me, insensitive to those who genuinely do feel grief and a sense of loss.
    Good morning.

Any chance of stopping talking about a dead 99 years old and giving me a fine Grand National tip??
    No.
    Pretty intensely over the weekend, then sporadically up until the funeral, I imagine. It's been less than 24 hours, people are acting like they've never experienced a media craze before.

I reiterate advice for people to already start preparing a netflix list to see them through the 2 weeks or so of coverage there will be when Her Majesty dies.
    Finished netflix in lockdown 1, amazon prime in lockdown 2, might need to sign up to sky box sets!
    This is where those with extensive DVD collections can get smug. A friend lent me the first season of Jane the Virgin, which from the first few episodes appears to be the only thing on this planet that is more of a ridiculous soap opera than the royal family.
    Fortunately the Masters is on.
    Gods, I might prefer footage of people laying wreathes over audio of newsreaders saying don't lay wreathes.
    Now that is sacrilegious and almost worthy of a Leon style rant.....
    I may as well add I find Horse racing to be interiminably dull as well. Seems like the horses can go faster without jockeys, and it's always the same.

No one bad mouth Cricket though.
    Horse racing is dull unless you have a bet on it. The only holy golf events are the Masters, Ryder Cup (and possibly the Open), the rest can be dissed at will.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,045
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Finished netflix in lockdown 1, amazon prime in lockdown 2, might need to sign up to sky box sets!
    This is where those with extensive DVD collections can get smug. A friend lent me the first season of Jane the Virgin, which from the first few episodes appears to be the only thing on this planet that is more of a ridiculous soap opera than the royal family.
    Gods, I might prefer footage of people laying wreathes over audio of newsreaders saying don't lay wreathes.
    I may as well add I find Horse racing to be interiminably dull as well. Seems like the horses can go faster without jockeys, and it's always the same.

Betting on Jump racing; if horses were meant to jump like that they'd have legs like kangaroos!

(Not original, read it somewhere!)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312
    Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

I'm not quite the 'superforecaster' on the horses as I am for politics but I do like the National and today I am going for CLOTH CAP because I think it should be a clearer favourite than it is. I'm on for a tenner at 7.6.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Followed a few months later of course by the coronation of King Charles III and the lead up to that
    The late King died on the 6th February 1952 and the coronation took place on 2nd June 1953

I year and 4 months later
    So months not days, weeks or years later then
    You quoted a few months when last time it was 1 year and 4 months

In the circumstances of the Queens passing the date of the coronation will be announced
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    kinabalu said:

@Big_G_NorthWales @Mexicanpete Thank You

This site used to have Mods that wouldnt have allowed Leons rant without sanction

Not sure whats happened

Does anybody take the 'rants' seriously though?

It's a sneaky send-up of a certain type of florid, reactionary middle aged man, isn't it?
    I assumed they were not serious when I read ‘a 99 year old man, tragically taken before his time.’
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,431

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.

Horse racing is dull unless you have a bet on it. The only holy golf events are the Masters, Ryder Cup (and possibly the Open), the rest can be dissed at will.
    Ditto backgammon. Fairly boring game until you realise you’re meant to gamble on it and use the DOUBLING CUBE. Then it becomes proper exciting
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

144 pages in the Mail. One gets the impression might just have been preplanned...

IIRC such pieces are often pre-prepared. I believe it was the Times which, at one time at any rate, kept a file of obituaries for well known but elderly figures, which some unlucky staffer had to update every five years or so if they hadn't been used.

It's quite probable that a dozen or so 'lucky' junior journalists will be, next week, reviewing the pieces on file for HMQ.In the various editorial offices.
    The Telegraph had a long interview with their own obituaries editor a few years ago, but annoyingly I can’t find it now after too many platform changes on their website.

Yes, they have an awful lot written and ready to go, for a whole host of notable figures. They keep careful track of people who are becoming old or sick; or who are doing something newsworthy and dangerous, such as senior military figures, astronauts and racing drivers. Their plan is to quickly add a note on the circumstances of their death, and be able to publish within an hour or two if a particular death leads the news. The ones that get them are the sudden accidents, which no-one would have predicted.

The Royals, of course, are very different. The press would have had everything ready to go at the push of a button yesterday, carefully planned every few weeks for the last few decades.
    Yes, having worked as a journalist years ago I can confirm this. I had a friend who worked for "The Stage" and the theatrical world is very gossipy and they would frequently get tips that So-and-So is poorly and the paper had better get the obituary ready. This sometimes created problems; the said friend did an obituary about a drag artist - Mrs Shufflewick IIRC - which she left on top of her typewriter while she left for a long lunch. When she returned eventually she found that the sub-editor had discovered it and it was printed before it was confirmed that he had died. In fact, he recovered but was very nice about it and said he was flattered to have an obituary.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Some might suggest politics is also boring unless you gamble on it, but that's nonsense. The betting just helps.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    Leon said:

I’ve just gone back to check my interaction with the venerable BigJohnOwls. I know I can get boisterous and I am happy to apologise when I overstep. I don’t think I did, on this occasion

Here is my first grievous assault on him. After he’d complained about the BBC for the 27th time

‘Fuck off, you smelly socialist hobgoblin. If you don't like hysterical 24/7 coverage of the TRAGIC DEATH OF A 99 YEAR OLD MAN, TAKEN BEFORE HIS TIME go and live IN ANOTHER COUNTRY’

Now, I admit ‘fuck off, you smelly socialist hobgoblin’ is not the politest remark in history. It would be a rare occasion when I’d say that to my mother, for instance, or indeed the present Bishop of Truro.

By the standards of PB, however, it is not exceptional. Designed to entertain as much as offend.

The rest of my comment is clearly satire aimed at ultra-royalists, and the BBC, so it was pretty witless of BJO - or anyone else - to get the hump.

BJO replied by telling me to Fuck off you Fascist, blah blah blah, and after that it descended into a traditional PB slanging match

No apologies, this time

Have you got anything reserved for Harry when he turns up for the funeral. .....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,681

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Good morning.

No.
    Apparently, lay the favourite.
  • Options

Leon said:

I’ve just gone back to check my interaction with the venerable BigJohnOwls. I know I can get boisterous and I am happy to apologise when I overstep. I don’t think I did, on this occasion

Here is my first grievous assault on him. After he’d complained about the BBC for the 27th time

‘Fuck off, you smelly socialist hobgoblin. If you don't like hysterical 24/7 coverage of the TRAGIC DEATH OF A 99 YEAR OLD MAN, TAKEN BEFORE HIS TIME go and live IN ANOTHER COUNTRY’

Now, I admit ‘fuck off, you smelly socialist hobgoblin’ is not the politest remark in history. It would be a rare occasion when I’d say that to my mother, for instance, or indeed the present Bishop of Truro.

By the standards of PB, however, it is not exceptional. Designed to entertain as much as offend.

The rest of my comment is clearly satire aimed at ultra-royalists, and the BBC, so it was pretty witless of BJO - or anyone else - to get the hump.

BJO replied by telling me to Fuck off you Fascist, blah blah blah, and after that it descended into a traditional PB slanging match

No apologies, this time

Have you got anything reserved for Harry when he turns up for the funeral. .....
    I imagine the royal family will have first dibs on all that

Harry has made things very uncomfortable for himself. If not excruciating. How will he interact with the alleged ‘racist royal’?!

I wonder if he and Megs thought it through when they did the interview. That, inevitably, something like this would happen and they’d have to brave the in-laws.

Meghan might have to get pregnant again if the Queen ever looks poorly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No apologies, this time

I imagine the royal family will have first dibs on all that

Harry has made things very uncomfortable for himself. If not excruciating. How will he interact with the alleged ‘racist royal’?!

I wonder if he and Megs thought it through when they did the interview. That, inevitably, something like this would happen and they’d have to brave the in-laws.

Meghan might have to get pregnant again if the Queen ever looks poorly.
    So she will have the choice of being pregnant or being stuffed?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

I agree the coverage is OTT but it doesn't really bother me because I just don't watch it. I am, however, hoping that on PB it goes away quickly, since I spend far more time on PB than I do watching telly. This last bit being food for thought and possibly requiring corrective action. :smile:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Hmm

Very late to this but I find myself conflicted. David is clearly right that the remote Parliament has made life far too easy for Boris and his Ministers with no prospect of any kind of momentum building up against them. OTOH it is still far too early for 450+ people to squeeze into corridors together to vote or sit arse cheek by jowel in the chamber. That will have to wait until June 21st and it can't come soon enough.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Re:GN

Not much of a clue, so just splitting £20 between these tips from Mr Krishnamurty;

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulmotty/status/1380826710816530432

Political Gambler
    @paulmotty
    My bets for the Grand National

4u win Cloth Cap
    1.5u e/w Kimberlite Candy
    1u e/w Mister Malarkey
    0.5u e/w Class Conti

Good luck to anyone who follows me in!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

I agree the coverage is OTT but it doesn't really bother me because I just don't watch it. I am, however, hoping that on PB it goes away quickly, since I spend far more time on PB than I do watching telly. This last bit being food for thought and possibly requiring corrective action. :smile:
    I’m wondering how this prolonged Duke of E coverage will go down with different communities

eg What will the BAMEs make of it? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    kinabalu said:

This site used to have Mods that wouldnt have allowed Leons rant without sanction

Not sure whats happened

It's a sneaky send-up of a certain type of florid, reactionary middle aged man, isn't it?
    Though containing an authentic chunk of florid, reactionary middle aged man I feel.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

No apologies, this time

The one you quite wasn't even your most objectionable though

"witless, elderly, Labour-voting anti-Semite and racist. Yes, you do have these flaws I find your anti-African bigotry and hatred especially difficult"

First 4 words maybe, the rest definitely not
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

You should either give up telly altogether or watch it while on PB. As I am, watching Gloucestershire show they couldn’t catch Covid this morning.

Leicestershire have followed on, by the way.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Have we done this? Looks like an effort to kick it into the long grass (“set up a Royal Commission”).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/09/joe-biden-supreme-court-expansion-commission-reform

Does it ?
    ... Biden’s executive order directs the commission to complete its report within 180 days of its first meeting...

“...What amused me was the liberal judge who said it was wrong to pack the court - and faced calls from democrats to resign because he dared disagree with them...”

So you hadn’t noticed what happened with Ginsburg, then ?

It’s as though you didn’t read the article.
    I read it at 6.30 so may have missed some nuance. Although the guardian picked up it was directed to make a report without a recommendation.

The haste to replace Ginsberg was unseemly, but the founding fathers deliberately didn’t want Supreme Court judges elected by popular vote (they made a different decision for other judges) so I don’t buy the argument that you *have* to wait fir an election.

But the comment that amused me was the one the second half of the article was about.
  • Options
    Completely off topic but I now (belatedly, admittedly) now loathe Microsoft with a passion. Of all the incompetent, non-user friendly, bordering on idiotic things they have inflicted on me as a customer of theirs for the last 40 years nothing, and I mean nothing, has come close to Microsoft Edge.

What an abomination of a product. Roughly once a week so far this year I get told that my computer (unasked) has once again downloaded Microsoft Edge. In doing so it obliterates my favourites, my passwords, my frequently used sites. Every time I have to try and work out what the hell I may have changed my password the last time I went through this fiasco.

Bastards. Absolute bastards.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Interesting fact: Prince Philip’s parents met at the funeral of Queen Victoria.

Lesser known fact: my parents met at my mother’s christening
  • Options

Leon said:

No apologies, this time

They all came after you said this:

‘this is my country too so Fuck your Fascist Arse out of here’

Once you’ve called someone a Fascist and told them to sodomise themselves, having failed to spot a joke, you are obviously seeking a lively argument. You got one

Stop bed wetting and grow up
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Completely off topic but I now (belatedly, admittedly) now loathe Microsoft with a passion. Of all the incompetent, non-user friendly, bordering on idiotic things they have inflicted on me as a customer of theirs for the last 40 years nothing, and I mean nothing, has come close to Microsoft Edge.

What an abomination of a product. Roughly once a week so far this year I get told that my computer (unasked) has once again downloaded Microsoft Edge. In doing so it obliterates my favourites, my passwords, my frequently used sites. Every time I have to try and work out what the hell I may have changed my password the last time I went through this fiasco.

Why don’t you use Chrome?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Good Morning

Apologies for my quip. Like any bereavement, I accept those people who need to mourn should be allowed to mourn.

I have my own views on Prince Philip, and as my well known evil wokery would suggest, they are not as positive as your own. This is a blog of like-minded people to yourself, so your eulogy is appropriate here.

As part of the wider picture however I am disappointed that the national media feels it is entitled to impose its view of Philip on me. I didn't appreciate Leon's tirade of vitriolic, foul-mouthed, abuse towards BJO last night for politely expressing a view that the BBC's response to the news was not proportional to the event.
    I am disappointed that the national media feels it is entitled to impose its view of Philip on me

Perhaps you'll have more sympathy with how some of us felt during the months-long paeans to BLM and their agenda of cultural vandalism on every channel...
  • Options

Leon said:

No apologies, this time

"witless, elderly, Labour-voting anti-Semite and racist. Yes, you do have these flaws I find your anti-African bigotry and hatred especially difficult"

You’d just called me ‘a Fascist’.

Stop moaning like one of TSE’s French girls in Marseilles. It’s unedifying
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    Charles said:

👀 .

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    DavidL said:

Count yourself lucky you don’t have to deal with Windows Server 2019, and it’s absolute determination to use their Azure ‘cloud’ solutions for damn nearly everything. In a bloody enterprise server operating system!!!
  • Options
    Charles said:

I misread that. I was genuinely surprised that your parents only met after you had been born. However, then I engaged my brain...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,681
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Why don’t you use Chrome?
    He probably did :smiley:

Until the moment when it happened...

I have had similar inflicted by Yahoo-spam on program installations where I missed the hidden "Nooooooooooo not Yahoo" checkbox.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

You should either give up telly altogether or watch it while on PB. As I am, watching Gloucestershire show they couldn’t catch Covid this morning.

I’m claiming that one.

Burns still looking far too solid though.
  • Options

Leon said:

No apologies, this time

Also, you’ve completely misframed my generous reply to you (after you’d called me a Fascist). You’ve deliberately taken my words out of context. The actual answer I gave you is warm, honest and kindly:

‘No, I'm sorry, I'm actually quite fond of you, as a somewhat witless, elderly, Labour-voting anti-Semite and racist. Yes, you do have these flaws (I find your anti-African bigotry and hatred especially difficult), but we all have strange older friends (a bit like Prince Philip)

But you have crossed a line here. You need to leave the country, and never come back, within the next 18 hours’
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Count yourself lucky you don’t have to deal with Windows Server 2019, and it’s absolute determination to use their Azure ‘cloud’ solutions for damn nearly everything. In a bloody enterprise server operating system!!!
    Yes, that is similar to my experience. I have stormed off to Google Chrome on several occasions only to find that Windows has magically and without my authority reset my preference back to their bloody Edge. Its infuriating.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    edited April 2021
    Ye cannae win wi' some folk.
    Every channel pouring out an identical stream of hushed reverence wasn't good enough because it was feigned apparently. Seemed queasily convincing to me.

https://twitter.com/thecoastguy/status/1380593431232212993?s=20
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Yes, that is similar to my experience. I have stormed off to Google Chrome on several occasions only to find that Windows has magically and without my authority reset my preference back to their bloody Edge. Its infuriating.
    You will have authorised it somewhere in your user agreement, blame the lawyers!
  • Options
    Expect Ollie Pope to miss the first Test after that response to Ian Blackwell’s decision.

Smashing your bat into the advertising boards is not a smart idea, even if you think you hit the ground rather than the ball.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,395
    edited April 2021
    Betting post

Sub Lieutenant runs in the National. Not a huge chance to say the least. Permit holder, relatively inexperienced jock (although has won over these fences).

I've backed it for personal reasons but it is possible that the public may get behind the name given the HRH naval connection making it a possible trading bet.
  • Options
    Wales 19000 jabs, takes the lead for first doses.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

Things can cross the line even if intended as a send-up, which I'd doubt on occasion.
    And of course digital is harder to read than flesh & blood. As a general comment on insults, and this is just my personal take, they sting more if delivered by somebody not in the habit of using them. So, an obvious example, the Leon construct slags me off on here, it's 'water off a ducks', regardless of how lurid the vocab and lucid the grammar. But if, say, 'BigG' takes umbrage with a post of mine and starts throwing the barbs around, calling me a "vile and revolting creature of the hard left with a black heart and no moral compass", then that is going to really grab my attention, and it's likely to make me feel quite upset for a short while.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

Things can cross the line even if intended as a send-up, which I'd doubt on occasion.
    And of course digital is harder to read than flesh & blood. As a general comment on insults, and this is just my personal take, they sting more if delivered by somebody not in the habit of using them. So, an obvious example, the Leon construct slags me off on here, it's 'water off a ducks', regardless of how lurid the vocab and lucid the grammar. But if, say, 'BigG' takes umbrage with a post of mine and starts throwing the barbs around, calling me a "vile and revolting creature of the hard left with a black heart and no moral compass", then that is going to really grab my attention, and it's likely to make me feel quite upset for a short while.
    BigG said that to you?
  • Options
    On the assumption the funeral will be next weekend then the media and press will continue for the following following days on reporting the funeral and speculating on royal succession and gossip.

I do not expect political coverage to start much like it was much until just 2 weeks before the May elections

I have no idea if this will make any difference but who knows
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

You will have authorised it somewhere in your user agreement, blame the lawyers!
    Another shower of bastards. Bah.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    Pulpstar said:

That's a big drop from yesterday.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No apologies, this time

Also, you’ve completely misframed my generous reply to you (after you’d called me a Fascist). You’ve deliberately taken my words out of context. The actual answer I gave you was

‘No, I'm sorry,
    OK mate thanks LOL
  • Options

On the assumption the funeral will be next weekend then the media and press will continue for the following following days on reporting the funeral and speculating on royal succession and gossip.

I do not expect political coverage to start much like it was much until just 2 weeks before the May elections

Even in Scotland? This is quite an important election in Scotland. Less so, elsewhere

Alex Salmond must be fumin’ at the late Duke. Alba’s only chance was a high profile, punchy election campaign, where he can take sly but stinging shots at Sturgeon

This is quite a serious point. Democracy must go on, especially an election for a national parliament
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

Though containing an authentic chunk of florid, reactionary middle aged man I feel.
    I suppose it is easier if there is something to build on. And perhaps in this case there is. I do sense that sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

The funeral may not even be televised as it will only be close family in attendance.

As I said yesterday there may be a televised State Memorial later in the year after Covid restrictions have lifted instead.

We have suspended local elections campaigning this weekend but will resume next week
  • Options

LAB suspended till Thursday (at least) I am told
  • Options
    Leon said:

Even in Scotland? This is quite an important election in Scotland. Less so, elsewhere

Alex Salmond must be fumin’ at the late Duke. Alba’s only chance was a high profile, punchy election campaign, where he can take sly but stinging shots at Sturgeon

This is quite a serious point. Democracy must go on, especially an election for a national parliament
    Well my leafletting is off tomorrow which, given the weather, I am just about coping with the disappointment of.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The funeral may not even be televised as it will only be close family in attendance.

As I said yesterday there may be a televised State Memorial later in the year after Covid restrictions have lifted.

We have suspended campaigning this weekend but will resume next week
    There are people actually campaigning? I haven’t seen any. If I didn’t come on here I wouldn’t know there were elections on.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    Microsoft Edge is just Chromium on the backend now, I believe. It is therefore now a pretty decent browser all in all.

I obviously use Safari. :)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Another shower of bastards. Bah.
    Edge is on my pc but I never use it. I use Firefox or Google search. Edge lies unused and unloved and causes no problem bar the space it occupies on the hard drive.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,370
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

I refer you to my comment below. It was, on this occasion, very clearly a send-up (it isn’t always). Kinabalu is right.
    It surely ought to be possible to interact with people in a lively style without resorting to such unpleasantly offensive language? The problem here is more likely an excess of drink than an excess of satire.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

As I said yesterday there may be a televised State Memorial later in the year after Covid restrictions have lifted.

There are people actually campaigning? I haven’t seen any. If I didn’t come on here I wouldn’t know there were elections on.
    News to me as well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I would be very surprised if it was not televised to be honest
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355
    edited April 2021

I expect parties will find it difficult to start before the actual funeral, especially in England
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Do you live in a marginal council ward or Welsh Assembly seat?

If not you will of course not get any canvassing and just the election address only, if you live in a marginal ward however you would know as you would already have been deluged with leaflets
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If not you will of course not get any canvassing and just the election address only, if you live in a marginal ward however you would know as you would already have been deluged with leaflets
    Fair point, both my wards are safe Labour.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Well my leafletting is off tomorrow which, given the weather, I am just about coping with the disappointment of.
    8C and rainy here. Hideous. Again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Have we done this? Looks like an effort to kick it into the long grass (“set up a Royal Commission”).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/09/joe-biden-supreme-court-expansion-commission-reform

Does it ?
    ... Biden’s executive order directs the commission to complete its report within 180 days of its first meeting...

“...What amused me was the liberal judge who said it was wrong to pack the court - and faced calls from democrats to resign because he dared disagree with them...”

So you hadn’t noticed what happened with Ginsburg, then ?

It’s as though you didn’t read the article.
    I read it at 6.30 so may have missed some nuance. Although the guardian picked up it was directed to make a report without a recommendation.

The haste to replace Ginsberg was unseemly, but the founding fathers deliberately didn’t want Supreme Court judges elected by popular vote (they made a different decision for other judges) so I don’t buy the argument that you *have* to wait fir an election.

But the comment that amused me was the one the second half of the article was about.
    You still seem to miss the point that the reason they want Breyer to retire isn’t for anything he might have opined, but simply because he over 80, and a Biden pick is only guaranteed until the midterms.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

Under current Covid rules only 30 will be in attendance ie close family and friends only, there may not even be a choir.

Personally I would not televise it but televise a State Memorial after Covid restrictions have fully eased from late June
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,539

Pulpstar said:

Welsh vaccinations for the 8th (reported 9th)

First : 17,362
    Second: 13,579
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

News to me as well.
    No Local Campaign on the door as yet. Were about to trial a small number of rounds before yesterdays sad news

Plenty of phone canvassing by Candidates and MP where we are.

Member engagement virtually non existent apart from that

Can see LAB Turnout being terrible.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Under Covid rules only 30 will be in attendance ie close family only, there may not even be a choir.

Personally I would not televise it but televise a State Memorial after Covid restrictions have fully eased from late June
    Choirs are permitted a maximum of 8 and they must be separated out. They can only sing music essential to the liturgy (although I think that’s being interpreted very broadly). Congregations are not permitted to sing at all.

So, I don’t think there will be a choir. Organ music only.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No apologies, this time

You’d just called me ‘a Fascist’.

Stop moaning like one of TSE’s French girls in Marseilles. It’s unedifying
    Pas de filles en Marseille. Seulement des cagoles.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776

Leon said:

No apologies, this time

Don’t feed the trolls, no matter how irritating.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

I refer you to my comment below. It was, on this occasion, very clearly a send-up (it isn’t always). Kinabalu is right.
    It surely ought to be possible to interact with people in a lively style without resorting to such unpleasantly offensive language? The problem here is more likely an excess of drink than an excess of satire.
    Why the fuck would anybody care what anyone else calls them on here?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Suggests 600,000 nationwide, which would be excellent.

The April ‘slowdown’ doesn’t look too bad at all, so far
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    ping said:

Not much of a clue, so just splitting £20 between these tips from Mr Krishnamurty;

Political Gambler
    @paulmotty

4u win Cloth Cap
    1u e/w Mister Malarkey
    0.5u e/w Class Conti

Thanks @ping I've gone:

Any Second Now win @ 14
    Chris's Dream win @ 100 and place bets first 6
    Class Conti win @ 90 and place bets first 6
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355
    edited April 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Under current Covid rules only 30 will be in attendance ie close family and friends only, there may not even be a choir.

Being cynical you would prefer it not to be televised so you could go campaigning

However, in many parts of the UK you could find yourself very unwelcome
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,294

Good Morning

Apologies for my quip. Like any bereavement, I accept those people who need to mourn should be allowed to mourn.

I have my own views on Prince Philip, and as my well known evil wokery would suggest, they are not as positive as your own. This is a blog of like-minded people to yourself, so your eulogy is appropriate here.

As part of the wider picture however I am disappointed that the national media feels it is entitled to impose its view of Philip on me. I didn't appreciate Leon's tirade of vitriolic, foul-mouthed, abuse towards BJO last night for politely expressing a view that the BBC's response to the news was not proportional to the event.
    I am disappointed that the national media feels it is entitled to impose its view of Philip on me

Perhaps you'll have more sympathy with how some of us felt during the months-long paeans to BLM and their agenda of cultural vandalism on every channel...
    I don't recall all TV scheduling being cancelled in celebration of George Floyd, and neither would I expect or want it to be.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

My ward is a Labour/Lib Dem marginal and I've had 1 leaflet from Labour and nothing else.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Under Covid rules only 30 will be in attendance ie close family only, there may not even be a choir.

Choirs are permitted a maximum of 8 and they must be separated out. They can only sing music essential to the liturgy (although I think that’s being interpreted very broadly). Congregations are not permitted to sing at all.

So, I don’t think there will be a choir. Organ music only.
    That’s sad. I love me a big royal funeral. They always have such amazing music, sung and played perfectly, in sublime settings
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it will from next Monday for around 10-12 days. There is definitely a supply crunch for first doses coming becuase Moderna will take time to filter into the system and Novavax is still awaiting final approval.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

News to me as well.
    No Local Campaign on the door as yet. Were about to trial a small number of rounds before yesterdays sad news

You can see turnout being terrible full stop. Local elections hardly enthuse in normal times. Now there'll surely be a substantial number of electors who would otherwise have made the trudge to the polling station, but aren't necessarily all that keen on setting foot in one just now, and haven't gone to the trouble of organising a postal ballot either?
  • Options
    Wales is 19k first doses sorry 11k second
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it will from next Monday for around 10-12 days. There is definitely a supply crunch for first doses coming becuase Moderna will take time to filter into the system and Novavax is still awaiting final approval.
    Ah, that’s a shame. How low will it go, do you think?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Those are the numbers reported yesterday....

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    Pulpstar said:

Wales is 19k first doses sorry 11k second

Oh that's much better. Should be another mid 500k number overall.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,294
    Stocky said:

ping said:

Political Gambler
    @paulmotty

4u win Cloth Cap
    1u e/w Mister Malarkey
    0.5u e/w Class Conti

Thanks @ping I've gone:

Any Second Now win @ 14
    Chris's Dream win @ 100 and place bets first 6
    Class Conti win @ 90 and place bets first 6
    For me:

Mister Malarkey - win
    Magic Light - win

Sub-lieutenant in first 6.

Next door's cat knows more about horses than I do, so I just pick two or three whose names give me a bit of a feeling.

• Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Bright and sunny but with a wind that is brassic and the odd flurry of soft hail. I remember last spring in the first lockdown being much, much nicer than this.
  • Options

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

I’m confused. Don’t we always get the numbers for ‘yesterday’? It’s never real-time data, is it?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

My ward is a Labour/Lib Dem marginal and I've had 1 leaflet from Labour and nothing else.
    Has it changed hands between Labour and LDs in the last 10 years? Has it got a majority of less than 100?

If neither of those conditions applies it is not a genuine council ward marginal.

Even so, 1 leaflet will be more than most safer wards will have, they will just get the election address
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Bright and sunny but with a wind that is brassic and the odd flurry of soft hail. I remember last spring in the first lockdown being much, much nicer than this.
    It’s vile. Last April was exquisite

Next week it is finally meant to be getting better, but the good weather is always like that - forever receding even as we approach. Uncannily like the End of Lockdown.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Being cynical you would prefer it not to be televised so you could go campaigning

No, it will be a private family funeral of 30 people as everyone else is having at the moment, with barely any music bar maybe an Organ and a small choir.

I have no great desire to intrude on that private event for the Queen and royal family unlike you, if they are going to televise anything they should do a bigger State Memorial later in the year after Covid restrictions have largely eased.

We will be resuming campaigning from next week regardless
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

I’m wondering how this prolonged Duke of E coverage will go down with different communities

Using "the BAMEs" in this way smacks of casual, dehumanizing racism. I won't answer the question unless reworded. And even then I probably won't.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940

I believe the parties in Scotland agreed to no campaigning till Monday. In England the Conservatives want 8 days of no campaigning but the other parties said sod that and are making their own arrangements.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Using "the BAMEs" in this way smacks of casual, dehumanizing racism. I won't answer the question unless reworded. And even then I probably won't.
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend by using ‘the’. I will rephrase

What do you think BAMEs will make of it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Has it changed hands between Labour and LDs in the last 10 years? Has it got a majority of less than 100?

If neither of those conditions applies it is not a genuine council ward marginal.

Even so, 1 leaflet will be more than most safer wards will have, they will just get the election address
    No, but the Lib Dems hold the seat, not Labour!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Our telephone question would you welcome any Candidate knocking on your door resulting in a 75%/25% split.against

Not sure what that would be in normal times though
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

News to me as well.

You can see turnout being terrible full stop. Local elections hardly enthuse in normal times. Now there'll surely be a substantial number of electors who would otherwise have made the trudge to the polling station, but aren't necessarily all that keen on setting foot in one just now, and haven't gone to the trouble of organising a postal ballot either?
    There's been a LOT of activity in Waverley - people have had up to 8 Con/Lab/LIbDem leaflets in total, and some phone canvassing has been going on. Everyone on the Lab and LD sides have suspended over the weekend, don't know about the Cons but I assume so. We await guidance for next week but will all be quite frustrated if we can't even deliver leaflets until Saturday - all sympathy to Philip and the family, but I wouldn't have thought any of them would care.

The council wrote to all residents to encourage them to get postal votes, and it's now nudging 26% of the total - I assume most of them will indeed vote. Also talked to quite a few people who insisted that they wanted to vote in person, come hell or high pandemic, My guess is that it'll be about 30% turnout overall, but it's so unpredictable who will bother that I'm inclined not to draw many conclusions either way.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

I’m confused. Don’t we always get the numbers for ‘yesterday’? It’s never real-time data, is it?
    Welsh vaccinations for the 8th (reported yesterday)

The number for today for Wales (which are the numbers for the 9th)

First: 19,194
    Second: 11,160

Don't worry about it. I once saw a quant reduced to a quivering mass by the furious repeated question - "What is our definition of yesterday?"
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    DavidL said:

How strange - It came with my new Surface Go but I just installed Chrome and Firefox and never used it since. I vaguely recall you need to remove it as a default. But since then it has not bothered me!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it will be a private family funeral of 30 people as everyone else is having at the moment, with barely any music bar maybe an Organ and a small choir.

I have no great desire to intrude on that private event for the Queen and royal family unlike you, if they are going to televise anything they should do a bigger State Memorial later in the year.

We will be resuming campaigning from next week regardless
    You are playing politics and likely to get rebuffed by the public

And it is not a private event - it has covid restrictions but that does not stop it being televised to the nation
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

No, but the Lib Dems hold the seat, not Labour!
    So it is not a marginal ward then.

The LDs will put an election address out but be focusing their campaigning in more marginal defence or target wards for them elsewhere
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

I can't multi-task. That doesn't work for me. End up doing multiple things all badly. So I only do one thing at a time and I put my heart & soul into whatever it is. That goes for watching TV and it goes for conversing on here. Hopefully, this shines through with my posts.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Incidentally, insulting the memory of the DoE is offending a minority group, for whom he is their literal God.

Isn't defaming the Gods and Prophets of minority groups racism of the vile, punching-down, kind?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Good Morning

Quite right.

I can't multi-task. That doesn't work for me. End up doing multiple things all badly. So I only do one thing at a time and I put my heart & soul into whatever it is. That goes for watching TV and it goes for conversing on here. Hopefully, this shines through with my posts.
    Heart and soul into modesty as well then.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,370
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Not sure whats happened

Why the fuck would anybody care what anyone else calls them on here?
    It’s not (principally) about an individual caring.

It’s about maintaining the generally high standards of interaction on this forum such that regulars continue to engage and newbies continue to feel able to jump in.

Almost every other political comment/forum quickly descends into ritual abuse such that it’s really not worth trying to make any intelligent contribution to the debate. If that happened to PB, it would be very sad.
This discussion has been closed.