Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Prince Phillip 1921-2021 – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

Personal vaccine update. Just had my second AZ dose, yippee.

No sign of a blood clot thus far. As a precautionary measure, I'm drinking copious amounts of red wine in order to pre-empt any circulatory problems. I hope PB medics agree that this is a sensible course of action.

Oh yes. And Chilean is the way to go in my (stupendously uninformed) opinion.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Just checked and Heart are playing music.

Almost as if there exist stations outside of the BBC. Funny that.

There is no substitute for Radios 3, 6 and 1X – yet ludicrously all of these have the Phillip stream.

Do Radio 1Xtra dance music fans typically demonstrate a predilection for rolling obituary?

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.
    You're right it is beyond ridiculous how many radio stations the BBC has. Is there really a need for a state broadcaster of dance music?

Well beyond time all those stations are either privatised or abolished, there's no justification for a tax/licence fee for that.

Oh, was that not your point?

PS there are plenty of alternatives: Spotify, Amazon, Apple, Youtube . . .
    Spotify = 70% of the BBC licence fee.
    Which is a free choice - on the other hand we have no option but to pay for the beeb
    Of course. I am just trying to put things into perspective. I am in favour of a split up module-by-module subscription service for the BBC. I am just pointing out that £14.70/month is not a big number if you chuck in Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
    You think the BBC radio is worth the same as Spotify?

The entire BBC radio combined is worth about 1% of Spotify/YouTube music subscription in my eyes.

On the BBC you get whatever song the DJ on the BBC is currently playing, if they're even playing a song right now. Or you get instant access to your choice of almost every song ever recorded.
    What is the commentary and explanatory context of Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No.2 like on Spotify?
    If many people are interested in that, someone will have put it on YouTube.
    I don't think you quite grasp the joy of radio Phillip. :D

Still, I'll pop you down as a 'maybe' for now.
    He hasn't got time for radio for goodness sake!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,233
    edited April 2021
    Bit weary of hearing about the Matapan Searchlights now.
    Their second album was pish anyway.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    Tragically, despite the lower nominations threshold no explosion of crazy candidates for the locals, at least round my way. Lots of Greens, but not a single RefUK (though they are standing for PCC), and only 1 UKIP.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Labour have accidentally nominated two candidates for the Dore & Totley ward in Sheffield. There's only one vacancy.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/your-city-council/notice-of-election/councillors-election-notice

Bloody splitters...
    It dovetails nicely with their leader's fence-sitting approach...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2021

There is no substitute for Radios 3, 6 and 1X – yet ludicrously all of these have the Phillip stream.

Do Radio 1Xtra dance music fans typically demonstrate a predilection for rolling obituary?

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.
    You're right it is beyond ridiculous how many radio stations the BBC has. Is there really a need for a state broadcaster of dance music?

Well beyond time all those stations are either privatised or abolished, there's no justification for a tax/licence fee for that.

No it wasn't. 1X is great – class house and techno and drum and bass, no ads. Very good quality stream across various mediums.

Radio 3 is utterly brilliant too. No substitute for that. Radio 6, often superb.

BBC Radio is worth the licence fee on its own. I could easily live without the telly bit.
    You can get that music on Spotify/YouTube etc too.

If you think its that great then there's no reason you couldn't pay a subscription service for that. The state broadcaster choosing to pay tribute to the death of the consort of the head of state seems reasonable, don't listen to a state broadcaster and choose an alternative if that bothers you.

But that the state broadcaster is involved in dance music shows just how screwed up the BBC is.

I wonder if Russia Today have a dance music station?
    I am sure they would if they thought enough dumbass Brits would listen. I am sure Vlad would love to see the end of the BBC, which is yet another reason to keep it.
    Amusing but unsurprising to see you jump on the nationalism bandwagon when its convenient for you.

Personally I think we should live how we want to live, not relative to Vlad.

Though considering you think collectivism is the answer all life's ills and that individual choice is an evil to be fought, its unsurprising to see a Marxist like yourself be against people choosing which music providers to pay for instead of having the state choose for us.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,561
    kinabalu said:

No sign of a blood clot thus far. As a precautionary measure, I'm drinking copious amounts of red wine in order to pre-empt any circulatory problems. I hope PB medics agree that this is a sensible course of action.

French, actually. Crate of Beaujolais from The Wine Society. Easy drinking. I rarely go outside France for my wine - bit of a traditionalist.

Edit: not that I intend to drink the whole crate tonight.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    On the off chance there’s an appetite for knowing how I truly feel about PP passing away, I have to be honest and say I feel very little (other than sorry for the loss to his wife and family). I might get a lump or a twinge when I watch some coverage later, but more likely not. This isn’t because he was old and had ‘had a good innings’, it’s because I feel no emotional connection to Prince Philip. Bob Dylan is quite old but if he’d just died I’d be in bits. Same with quite a few other people who I don’t know but who have meant a lot to me. It’s simply not the case with the Duke and there's no point pretending otherwise. I hope this doesn’t expose me as a chilly, post-modern progressive with a black hole where love of country ought to be, but if it does it does.

I imagine it’ll be different with the Queen because she genuinely represents something monumental, our history since pretty much the War. Having the same monarch is a common thread through all of that. The only one really, when you think about it. Also I do feel an emotional connection with the Queen. There’s all the speeches and footage and stuff over the decades, that’s part of it, but there’s also something closer to home. She’s always been the spitting image of an old Scottish Auntie of mine, and – get this – she was born on the exact same day as that Auntie too. We often used to joke about it. Used to wonder what would happen if my Auntie ever actually met the Queen. Would they recognize the incredible mutual likeness and have a giggle about it? It never happened, needless to say, and neither will it. My Auntie passed away some years ago.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,233
    We need this lad's predictive powers on PB.com

https://twitter.com/kaydiem_/status/1380476245595590656?s=20
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    Interestingly there are only 2 candidates standing for the Tees Valley Combined Authority Mayoral election.

If you get odds better than 1.01 for Ben Houchen it's guaranteed money as the other candidate is Jessie Jacobs who even Labour canvassers are refusing to canvass for.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Brill plan. I had my second Pfizer yesterday - no side-effects at all bar a very faint twinge in my arm, but best to have some red wine to be safe...
    Excellent idea, I got some monitor glare in my eyes earlier, think I might crack open a bottle too.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Brill plan. I had my second Pfizer yesterday - no side-effects at all bar a very faint twinge in my arm, but best to have some red wine to be safe...
    And NON alcoholic wine is even better. All the benefit of red wine without the alcohol.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

I don't see why it having a dance music station is philosophically any different from it having a classical music station. I'm an avid listener of both, so I'm glad it has both.

It shouldn't have either. If you want to pay for either then do so of your own free choice.
    A friend rather endearingly signed a petition to preserve Radio 3 when he was a child, not because he liked classical music - he didn't - but he anticipated that when he was older he might *come* to like it. I think that some state-provided entertainment channels free to everyone without advertising has its place, and is worth a bit of tax money (rather than the fiddly licence fee arrangement). In the same way, I don't mind a subsidy to opera houses on condition that they arrange for broadcasts of performances, though I've little interest in opera and assume many patrons can pay. Making every little transaction in life subject to the whims of the free market takes a market economy to the point of dogma.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    For our district council election, we don't have a Labour candidate:

Con
    Lib Dem
    Green
    Heritage Party - Free Speech and Liberty

https://heritageparty.org/manifesto/

I think the last candidate is ex-UKIP.
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

No it wasn't. 1X is great – class house and techno and drum and bass, no ads. Very good quality stream across various mediums.

Radio 3 is utterly brilliant too. No substitute for that. Radio 6, often superb.

BBC Radio is worth the licence fee on its own. I could easily live without the telly bit.

If you think its that great then there's no reason you couldn't pay a subscription service for that. The state broadcaster choosing to pay tribute to the death of the consort of the head of state seems reasonable, don't listen to a state broadcaster and choose an alternative if that bothers you.

But that the state broadcaster is involved in dance music shows just how screwed up the BBC is.

I am sure they would if they thought enough dumbass Brits would listen. I am sure Vlad would love to see the end of the BBC, which is yet another reason to keep it.
    Amusing but unsurprising to see you jump on the nationalism bandwagon when its convenient for you.

Though considering you think collectivism is the answer all life's ills and that individual choice is an evil to be fought, its unsurprising to see a Marxist like yourself be against people choosing which music providers to pay for instead of having the state choose for us.
    I am a moderate Conservative (though no longer a member) you plonker. I don't believe in "collectivism" -you clearly don't understand big words. I believe in not having change for change sake, and where possible the state staying out of our lives. I think Brexit is dumb, but that does not and never has made me a "Europhile", or collectivist. Your posts reveal yourself to be a right wing reactionary. Anything that does not neatly fit your Daily Express mentality will be painted in philistine black and white terms and condemned. So sad. Try and get some real experience of life Philip. You might start to understand that life is often about compromise, and that there is much beauty to be found in places you didn't expect..
  • Options

I don't see why it having a dance music station is philosophically any different from it having a classical music station. I'm an avid listener of both, so I'm glad it has both.

It shouldn't have either. If you want to pay for either then do so of your own free choice.
    A friend rather endearingly signed a petition to preserve Radio 3 when he was a child, not because he liked classical music - he didn't - but he anticipated that when he was older he might *come* to like it. I think that some state-provided entertainment channels free to everyone without advertising has its place, and is worth a bit of tax money (rather than the fiddly licence fee arrangement). In the same way, I don't mind a subsidy to opera houses on condition that they arrange for broadcasts of performances, though I've little interest in opera and assume many patrons can pay. Making every little transaction in life subject to the whims of the free market takes a market economy to the point of dogma.
    If you want to listen to classical music why not just pay for it?

Is individual choice really such a scary concept?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    edited April 2021

Sorry to be a party pooper but I thought you weren't supposed to drink a lot after a vaccination.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    kinabalu said:

On the off chance there’s an appetite for knowing how I truly feel about PP passing away, I have to be honest and say I feel very little (other than sorry for the loss to his wife and family). I might get a lump or a twinge when I watch some coverage later, but more likely not. This isn’t because he was old and had ‘had a good innings’, it’s because I feel no emotional connection to Prince Philip. Bob Dylan is quite old but if he’d just died I’d be in bits. Same with quite a few other people who I don’t know but who have meant a lot to me. It’s simply not the case with the Duke and there's no point pretending otherwise. I hope this doesn’t expose me as a chilly, post-modern progressive with a black hole where love of country ought to be, but if it does it does.

I imagine it’ll be different with the Queen because she genuinely represents something monumental, our history since pretty much the War. Having the same monarch is a common thread through all of that. The only one really, when you think about it. Also I do feel an emotional connection with the Queen. There’s all the speeches and footage and stuff over the decades, that’s part of it, but there’s also something closer to home. She’s always been the spitting image of an old Scottish Auntie of mine, and – get this – she was born on the exact same day as that Auntie too. We often used to joke about it. Used to wonder what would happen if my Auntie ever actually met the Queen. Would they recognize the incredible mutual likeness and have a giggle about it? It never happened, needless to say, and neither will it. My Auntie passed away some years ago.

According to Mr Zimmerman now you mention him.

"Met Prince Phillip at the home of the blues
    Said he'd give me information if his name wasn't used
    He wanted money up front, said he was abused
    By dignity"
  • Options

And NON alcoholic wine is even better. All the benefit of red wine without the alcohol.
    Yuch!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

French, actually. Crate of Beaujolais from The Wine Society. Easy drinking. I rarely go outside France for my wine - bit of a traditionalist.

Well it sounds just the ticket. Friday night, all vaxxed up, the big reopening on Monday. If this is not one for marking, nothing is. And just for good measure - if you're a fan like me - Masters golf.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    In fact, Labour are only standing in four of the nine Woking seats:

https://tinyurl.com/a7h2nct3
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

I am a moderate Conservative (though no longer a member) you plonker. I don't believe in "collectivism" -you clearly don't understand big words. I believe in not having change for change sake, and where possible the state staying out of our lives. I think Brexit is dumb, but that does not and never has made me a "Europhile", or collectivist. Your posts reveal yourself to be a right wing reactionary. Anything that does not neatly fit your Daily Express mentality will be painted in philistine black and white terms and condemned. So sad. Try and get some real experience of life Philip. You might start to understand that life is often about compromise, and that there is much beauty to be found in places you didn't expect..
    You are a collectivist. You can not see any reason that Scotland might want to control its own destiny besides hate of the English. You see no reason why the English might want to control their own destiny than hate of Europeans. You think we are "better together".

Why not just merge with Russia and let Vlad rule a combined union? That'd be bigger too which is better under your unwavering dogma but I'd oppose it 100%.

People are freer when they can make their own choices.

Countries are freer when they can make their own choices.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

According to Mr Zimmerman now you mention him.

"Met Prince Phillip at the home of the blues
    Said he'd give me information if his name wasn't used
    He wanted money up front, said he was abused
    By dignity"
    :smile: - Hats off!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    tlg86 said:

Could they only find four Woke candiates?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

The great thing about Radio 1 Xtra is it means we don't have to hear any of that shite on Radio 6. ;-)

Actually, Radio 6 has gone way downhill in the last couple of years. It used to be the first thing I put on in the morning when the breakfast show was presented by Shaun Keaveney, or before him, Phil Jupitus. But Lauren Laverne seems intent on turning it into a hen party.

None of this reflects on whether the BBC *should* be doing any of these stations, of course.
    Sadly, I must agree. I still love the left-of-the-dial ethos that 6 has, I love that it champions new artists and genres, that it nourishes the UK’s independent music scene. It’s fantastic.

But much of the music that falls into those categories I find myself no longer wanting to actually listen to.

Getting old is terrible.

Still happy to pay the licence fee for that and everything else the beeb does, whether I consume it personally or not.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    edited April 2021
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sorry to be a party pooper but I thought you weren't supposed to drink a lot after a vaccination.
    No mention of that on the accompanying literature. Interestingly, we were given a quite detailed leaflet on AZ and the (minimal) risks of blood clotting.

Anyway, thanks for your concern. To reassure you, I was being a bit hyperbolic when I wrote that I was going to drink 'copious' amounts of red wine.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Germany two day's data - UK dips below 30% of total for first time:

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,475
    Has the BBC gone over the top? The owner of the odds-on favourite at Kempton just now is... HM The Queen.
  • Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    UK R

form case data

from hospitalisation

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Glenys Kinnock has today retired from the House of Lords.
  • Options

We need this lad's predictive powers on PB.com

https://twitter.com/kaydiem_/status/1380476245595590656?s=20

Indeed - such foresight - a man in the prime of life!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well it sounds just the ticket. Friday night, all vaxxed up, the big reopening on Monday. If this is not one for marking, nothing is. And just for good measure - if you're a fan like me - Masters golf.
    Yes, I follow the big tournaments. Each-way (8 places) bet on Sebastian Munoz. Needs to have a good day today, but you never know. Leeds will beat Man City tomorrow, obviously. And then I've got the beach bar booked for Monday afternoon. Despite everything, life's pretty good.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited April 2021
    Boris declares 8 days of national mourning for the Duke of Edinburgh.

All local election campaigning suspended and no laws to be passed at Westminster during that time

https://twitter.com/toryboypierce/status/1380552498755342340?s=20
  • Options

Has the BBC gone over the top? The owner of the odds-on favourite at Kempton just now is... HM The Queen.

Only second.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Could they only find four Woke candiates?
    The rest were asleep...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Age related data scaled to 100K population

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962

Floater said:
    To be fair to Claudia Webbe, who is usually a bit bonkers, her comment on there is not unreasonable or objectionable, despite what Guido may think.
    Yes, fair enough I'd say given the DofE awards scheme

Can't Corbyn ever just make a statement dealing with the here and now, without having to add something else that make it look like he is being catty?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Andy_JS said:

My Welsh mate was advised not to drink for a week afterwards. The English NHS seems to be giving out no such guidance
  • Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

An uncle of mine (who was quite right wing) went to live in the US in the 1970s. When he came back to live in the UK my father asked him what was best about being back. His answer? BBC. He said anyone who thinks the licence fee should be abolished should be subjected to free market US TV for a month.
    Can confirm.
  • Options
    England CFR

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,416

Germany really motoring there, very impressive. France, Spain, Poland, Italy all catching up. Excellent

Hopefully the AZ debacle won't knock them - or us - off our stride, and we can put the absurd Vaccine Wars behind us. What an unedifying chapter
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

I’ll be sticking to the usual Chateauneuf-du-Pape, if that’s okay!
  • Options
    718 deaths in Italy, however. Painful
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

You are a collectivist. You can not see any reason that Scotland might want to control its own destiny besides hate of the English. You see no reason why the English might want to control their own destiny than hate of Europeans. You think we are "better together".

Why not just merge with Russia and let Vlad rule a combined union? That'd be bigger too which is better under your unwavering dogma but I'd oppose it 100%.

Oh dear, all the time you spend on here and yet your ability to debate is only just below sixth former. Collectivism is a political philosophy that is so far from my own as it is possible to be. I have no problem with Scotland wanting to "control its destiny" or England for that matter, if one wants to be so simplistic to believe that either entity speaks with one voice.

The reality Philip is that some people hold such views with no malice toward their neighbour. My problem is with those who do, and despite your protestations, your visceral hatred of the EU and its member sovereign states is clearly based ( at the very least at a subconscious level) on xenophobia. One only needs to look at your posts on the vaccines. You loved it that the foreigners had fucked up on their vaccines policy. Your crowing was so sad.

As for your statement "Countries are freer when they can make their own choices" it is almost impossible for you to more naive. Maybe spend less time as a keyboard warrior and more studying history.

Anyway, time for me to do something else! Off for a game of chess while I listen to Radio 3!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    In today's Covid stat news (the Plague drags relentlessly on, of course,) we have 60 more deaths reported. 3,150 cases, and 3,005 patients left in hospital.

Barnsley, Clackmannanshire and Corby are the last three local authority areas with case rates exceeding 100 per 100k per week.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

An uncle of mine (who was quite right wing) went to live in the US in the 1970s. When he came back to live in the UK my father asked him what was best about being back. His answer? BBC. He said anyone who thinks the licence fee should be abolished should be subjected to free market US TV for a month.
    US network TV is indeed abysmal - something like 25 mins of ads an hour, half of them for prescription drugs, and the programming all approved by their version of Mary Whitehouse.

No wonder HBO, and now Netflix and Hulu, are so popular over there.
  • Options

Because the only options in life are the 1950s licence fee or 1970s US broadcast TV. 🙄

Nothing major whatsoever has changed the market in the last fifty years. 🦖
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

All local election campaigning suspended and no laws to be passed at Westminster during that time

Why 8? Odd number with no numerological significance that I am aware of
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    rpjs said:

Can confirm.
    This is American TV in the 1970s. 50 years ago

Since then we've had a televisual revolution, and now America churns out the best TV drama in the world, and the best TV drama ever seen, plus excellent documentaries, news, comedy, sport (or it did until Covid)

Saying American TV is crap, now, is like saying British food is terrible, now, or South Korean technology is 3rd world, now
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

HYUFD said:

The time between now and the funeral?
  • Options
    Radio 6 is now playing solemn music.
    This is a little bit disturbing.
  • Options
    Online book of condolence:

https://www.royal.uk/condolence
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821
    You know, when PT goes on simply about this music service or that set of programmes, my general instinct would be to agree with him on most occasions, and the idea of particular BBC services being subscription: we're going to end up with something like that at some point soon.

But the BBC is not simply the sum of commercial or even public service programmes. The Reithian ideal is still imbued in many places in the organisation, another one of those things created by the patrician right of the post war period that somehow is now owned by the left (similar has happened with a lot of workplace culture: H&S was a moustached Tory with a clipboard back in the day). The curation on 1X or 3 or 6Music is openly Reithian and I'm not sure any YouTube or Spotify curation or playlist can replicate that. Though you may think it metropolitan and liberal, difficult biases for a news service running out of a large city by educated and we'll connected folk, it still goes for most of how BBC tries to present the news, indeed the rules for TV news in general are Reithian, and even Sky follows this.

And we feel in general that countries that lack this ethos to the same extent are the poorer for it. So, we can split services, go towards subscription, differentiate commercial and public service. If we do all that, how do we maintain and curate the Reithian ideals, sometimes breached, but clearly still in existence across large part of the BBC and UK broadcasting in general, in a future world?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It is beautifully designed to wind up the Left. An excessive amount, and more than a week, FFS

I can sense Owen Jones, through the ether, his trembling fingers poised over his keyboard, as he yearns to tweet something misguided and insulting about the Royals.

He pauses. Drinks some more camomile tea. But then he thinks - 8 days???? And he goes back to his laptop, angry beads of sweat on his boyish brow
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Er, you don't have to listen to it. That way you won't be disturbed?
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Oh dear, all the time you spend on here and yet your ability to debate is only just below sixth former. Collectivism is a political philosophy that is so far from my own as it is possible to be. I have no problem with Scotland wanting to "control its destiny" or England for that matter, if one wants to be so simplistic to believe that either entity speaks with one voice.

The reality Philip is that some people hold such views with no malice toward their neighbour. My problem is with those who do, and despite your protestations, your visceral hatred of the EU and its member sovereign states is clearly based ( at the very least at a subconscious level) on xenophobia. One only needs to look at your posts on the vaccines. You loved it that the foreigners had fucked up on their vaccines policy. Your crowing was so sad.

As for your statement "Countries are freer when they can make their own choices" it is almost impossible for you to more naive. Maybe spend less time as a keyboard warrior and more studying history.

Anyway, time for me to do something else! Off for a game of chess while I listen to Radio 3!
    I never crowed about the fact the EU fucked up their vaccine scheme. The EU are sclerotic and fuck things up, its what they do. Since you reckon I post so much it shouldn't be difficult for you to quote me saying something xenophobic, but I don't do that.

I think its sad that the EU screwed up their vaccine scheme and provided a thread header that our genial hosts chose to put up on how the EU could improve their systems to prevent it happening again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

This won't delay haircuts and beer gardens, though, will it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043
    Is anyone offering odds on when Queen Elizabeth II starts dating again? Also, which dating app do people think she is likely to use?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    dixiedean said:

Considering non-royal places have inaugurations that seem like coronations, and state funerals with mass crowds, I'm not sure what is that disturbing at a royal place having news coverage and musical solemnity on the day of.

I think we think things are weirder than they are.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Germany really motoring there, very impressive. France, Spain, Poland, Italy all catching up. Excellent

Hopefully the AZ debacle won't knock them - or us - off our stride, and we can put the absurd Vaccine Wars behind us. What an unedifying chapter
    AstraZeneca has agreed that almost all the Covid vaccine doses made in the Netherlands over which the UK has made a claim will stay in the EU, as Brussels’ vaccine tsar said Europe was now on track for an “almost normal” tourist season. Thierry Breton, the European commissioner leading the bloc’s vaccine taskforce, said the chief executive of AstraZeneca had confirmed to him that all but 1.2 million to 1.5 million doses at the Dutch plant would now be delivered to EU member states.

The Dutch factory, where the Anglo-Swedish firm’s subcontractor, Halix, makes the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, produces about 7.5 million doses a month, over which the UK claimed it had a contractual right during recent talks. Whitehall officials had proposed a 50/50 split but Mr Breton, a French former finance minister, said Pascal Soriot, AstraZeneca’s French-born chief executive, had recognised that all but one batch of the jabs would go to EU residents.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/vaccine-tsar-says-eu-will-get-astrazeneca-doses-over-which-uk-made-claim-1.4532523

"Almost normal" tourist season.....without British tourists?

• Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Haircuts in silence, toasts to the late Duke outside
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961

HYUFD said:

Date of funeral related
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Our company is trialling AWS and Redshift. Holy fucking shit it's terrible. I don't know how anyone does this all day.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043
    edited April 2021

Even accounting for the fact that it is two days, data Germany is really getting its skates on.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Nick: I had my second Pfizer yesterday. If anything with hardly even a sore spot in my shoulder---even less than was the case for #1.
    Does that mean that we're immune to the bloody virus, or vey susceptible, or nothing whatsoever?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    MaxPB said:

Our company is trialling AWS and Redshift. Holy fucking shit it's terrible. I don't know how anyone does this all day.

I know some of those words
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No electioneering nor pointless laws passed doesn't sound mournful to me.
    However, the dirges coming from my radio...
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Leon said:

718 deaths in Italy, however. Painful

768 in Poland too.

Unsurprising isn't it that despite the EU vaccine debacle the Germans are the first to put things right.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    What does a "day of national mourning" mean in practice?

Does it just mean no gangster rap on Radio 1?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

HYUFD said:

Since when has 8 been an odd number?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Er, you don't have to listen to it. That way you won't be disturbed?
    Sound of
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Haircuts in silence, toasts to the late Duke outside

• Options
    BBC news now having an interview with Sir Michael Palin on his recollections of meeting the Duke
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It is Jeff Bezos's Oracle-killer.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

New Thread

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Today will be a great day for Netflix and Amazon viewing and in turn sign-ups.

That's no disrespect to Philip or the BBC's continuous Philip programming - many people will watch a bit of it but I doubt many will want endless hours of the same stuff being repeated on loop.

People will vote with their feet. Of course the BBC does many good things but people are losing interest - as there are more and more tailored services serving people's wishes much better.

Everyone on here is very interested in politics - I suspect even 5 years ago and certainly 10 years ago most would have watched all the BBC's political programmes regularly. But many now say they've just given up and abandoned them.

And similar is happening across many other genres.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    I'm surprised how emotional I've felt not least as I was never a particular fan of HRH. Nonetheless it feels like a national occasion. It is extraordinary to think he's been in our national life for 75 years as well as his wartime record.

Playing cricket with Bradman - never knew that.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

Since when has 8 been an odd number?
    Or indeed without numerological significance? The Chinese say 'ba'!

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    eek said:

Surely you want alcohol to kill off any unwanted germs..
    No alcohol means it is lemonade
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324

kinabalu said:

Beaujolais isn’t the best choice, really you want Bordeaux, since Cabernet and Merlot both contain the highest levels of procyanidins, which improve blood flow and reduce risk of inflammation and blood clots.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is anyone offering odds on when Queen Elizabeth II starts dating again? Also, which dating app do people think she is likely to use?

She’s on it already...

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Was Philip the last survivor of the Battle of Cape Matapan?

Saw that on Twitter a few moments ago.
  • Options
    Got this earlier

• Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,526
    edited April 2021
    And this came to me with the caption ‘Prince Phillip’s ghost is spotted at Buckingham Palace’. I’m sure the game old cove would’ve appreciated the humour.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

It is beautifully designed to wind up the Left. An excessive amount, and more than a week, FFS

I can sense Owen Jones, through the ether, his trembling fingers poised over his keyboard, as he yearns to tweet something misguided and insulting about the Royals.

He pauses. Drinks some more camomile tea. But then he thinks - 8 days???? And he goes back to his laptop, angry beads of sweat on his boyish brow
    Or it gives Boris a week off having to interact with MPs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

MaxPB said:

The last two sentences I use fairly frequently. The first, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

So in handling the death of the Monarch's consort the PM's guiding principle is how best to irritate his political opponents.

Yep - that sounds right on brand.
This discussion has been closed.