Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Prince Phillip 1921-2021 – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2021 in General
RIP Prince Phillip 1921-2021 – politicalbetting.com

It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. pic.twitter.com/XOIDQqlFPn

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    All things end.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,801
    The mad travel journalist is still at it. Another tweet

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    Face vomiting emoji Face vomiting emoji
    My feelings about the massive faux outpouring of grief for a racist misogynist. It's like the PM. As long as you went to a posh school, it's OK to be a terrible human, and people will just tussle your hair and call you a jape.

https://twitter.com/WordsByJill/status/1380493314005303297?s=20

This is such a bizarrely inappropriate reaction - even if these are your opinions, you could wait until the body is cold - I went back over her Twitter feed to see, having a faint suspicion.....

Yes, I was right. FBPE. Strasbourg Syndrome
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    Even one of the great love stories of our time. That is what makes it sad. Otherwise a life well lived.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Feels like we're into the twilight of an era here.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    A very good innings, and the rock by the side of Her Majesty for more than seven decades. RIP.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Apparently they've pulled the official notice from the front of the Palace to dissuade crowds.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    My feelings about the massive faux outpouring of grief for a racist misogynist. It's like the PM. As long as you went to a posh school, it's OK to be a terrible human, and people will just tussle your hair and call you a jape.

This is such a bizarrely inappropriate reaction - even if these are your opinions, you could wait until the body is cold - I went back over her Twitter feed to see, having a faint suspicion.....

You don’t have to scour the internet for wrongthink. It’s optional.
    Leon can't stay way from the mad travel journalist content..
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RIP. The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme was a great thing he set up that has been a good opportunity for so many people.
    Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

People like you are giving her the oxygen of publicity and no doubt she'd love it.

If you don't like it, stop sharing it. Don't give her publicity, she's feeding off your anger. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    That's an excellent photo. A reminder that he really earned those medals, fighting the Nazis

Prince Edward is not going to look quite the same

A good reddit discussion of his wartime combat. Proper valour:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/69xqv6/did_the_duke_of_edinburgh_really_fight_in_ww2_or/
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Pulpstar said:

“There are decades when nothing happens; and there are weeks when decades happen,” said Lenin

It certainly feels like we are living in one of those 'interesting times' for the last year.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

You don’t have to scour the internet for wrongthink.

It’s optional.
    It's the FBPE element that fascinates me. Strasbourg Syndrome has so many weird symptoms. This is yet another one - hugely inappropriate reactions to royal people dying. She probably believes Philip was a Leaver.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224
    England vaccine numbers

First 55,539
    Second 403,212
    Total 458,751
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited April 2021

Pulpstar said:

“There are decades when nothing happens; and there are weeks when decades happen,” said Lenin

It certainly feels like we are living in one of those 'interesting times' for the last year.
    You know, it’s been a bit longer than a year. There was a time, a few years back, when we got really exercised about a politician eating a bacon sandwich. Can you even imagine that being an issue now?

@Lennon that’s what they should have been doing all morning. Just in that channel where he’s weak.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,110

All things end.

Except (iyo) Covid restrictions. :smile:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    DavidL said:

Even one of the great love stories of our time. That is what makes it sad. Otherwise a life well lived.

Yes, I've never been very interested in the royals, so I didn't know very much about the marriage but this account is endearing and highlights the human relationship:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/09/duke-of-edinburgh-prince-philip-marriage-queen-elizabeth
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843

England vaccine numbers

First 55,539
    Second 403,212
    Total 458,751

Well at least there’s some good news today!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

All things end.

I remain reasonably confident that Covid restrictions will cease at some point before the heat death of the universe.

Wouldn't guarantee it though.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    RIP. Never met him myself, but know many who have, and who spoke very highly of him. Man of great service and dignity; an example to all.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,019
    545,511 new vaccinations registered in 🇬🇧 yesterday

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 55,539 1st doses / 403,212 2nd doses
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 16,746 / 24,436
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 17,362 / 13,579
    NI 6,595 / 8,042
  • Options

RIP. The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme was a great thing he set up that has been a good opportunity for so many people.

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

People like you are giving her the oxygen of publicity and no doubt she'd love it.

If you don't like it, stop sharing it. Don't give her publicity, she's feeding off your anger. 🤷‍♂️
    Astute, Philip. This is why I stopped copying Lozza Fox onto here. Except when I still very occasionally do.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

All things end.

*whispers* and SNP honeymoons
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Sorry to see Prince Philip pass away

Im nearly 60 and he has always been there . One of life's constants has just faded away.

Likewise. Troubling

If I feel a bit rattled by this - and I do - the death of Her Maj is going to be an enormous wrench - even for republicans. Most of us have only ever known her. The Mother of the country. A fixed source of stability in a scary and changing world
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

RIP. Never met him myself, but know many who have, and who spoke very highly of him. Man of great service and dignity; an example to all.

This is one point on which it is my pleasure to agree with you entirely.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It's performative.

Most people hold off on speaking ill of the dead, at least briefly. It's not required but usually adhered to as even if people don't like the person in question they will often consider it poor taste to so quickly leap into criticism. But of course on twitter people either get praise from fellow travellers, or will provoke anger from people they want to anger.

These are the kind of people who think it impossible to have a kind word for someone you dislike. Accordingly, it's not enough to be silent, you must actively express your dislike at all times. Then when attacked for poor taste they can play the victim (snowflakes of left and right are keen on that approach).

I do think those speculating that Philip would find it amusing that people are focusing on his inappropriate jokes as the summation of his 99 year life are probably correct.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    It's the FBPE element that fascinates me. Strasbourg Syndrome has so many weird symptoms. This is yet another one - hugely inappropriate reactions to royal people dying. She probably believes Philip was a Leaver.
    Your completely twattish obsession with the EU and your belief that anyone who doesn't share your Little England views must be demonised is just as moronic as the nasty piece of work that wrote the tweet to which you refer. Give it a rest and get some therapy.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited April 2021
    Totally offtopic but has how twitter works on here changed intentionally - tweets posted no longer seem to be displayed in full - you just get the url?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    eek said:

Totally offtopic but has how twitter works on here changed intentionally - tweets posted no longer seem to be displayed in full - just the url?

It kept crashing the threads so TSE asked if it could be changed.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Your mission to find anti-Brexit motivations in absolutely everything might suggest that the neurosis is more on your part.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

That's an excellent photo. A reminder that he really earned those medals, fighting the Nazis

Prince Edward is not going to look quite the same

A good reddit discussion of his wartime combat. Proper valour:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/69xqv6/did_the_duke_of_edinburgh_really_fight_in_ww2_or/

I once met Philip at an opening linked to the BBC. His manner struck me as a mixture of hearty and deliberately provocative retired air commodore, and a much less typical, quite warm bluntness, which I think was more linked to his love of his German-Greek mother and her milieu, as mentioned in the previous thread.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,919
    Totally O/t but just had a call from the "National Crime Agency" telling me my NI Number was under investigation, and I should 'press ONE to speak to an officer.

Needless to say I didn't. Anyway, nowadays all it's used for is paying my OA pension!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    eek said:

Totally offtopic but has how twitter works on here changed intentionally - tweets posted no longer seem to be displayed in full - you just get the url?

There was some discussion of this yesterday, I seem to recall. Apparently loads of those Twitter link thingies causes the threads to go wonky on some devices, so the display thereof has been blocked.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    eek said:

Yeah. The site has been performing wonderfully since. I'm basking in the glory.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

England vaccine numbers

First 55,539
    Second 403,212
    Total 458,751

There was the scorecard from Bristol too. Until about 10 minutes ago.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    eek said:

I believe they were breaking the site experience for users on phones, so they've been disabled from being embedded.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It's performative.

Most people hold off on speaking ill of the dead, at least briefly. It's not required but usually adhered to as even if people don't like the person in question they will often consider it poor taste to so quickly leap into criticism. But of course on twitter people either get praise from fellow travellers, or will provoke anger from people they want to anger.

These are the kind of people who think it impossible to have a kind word for someone you dislike. Accordingly, it's not enough to be silent, you must actively express your dislike at all times. Then when attacked for poor taste they can play the victim (snowflakes of left and right are keen on that approach).

I do think those speculating that Philip would find it amusing that people are focusing on his inappropriate jokes as the summation of his 99 year life are probably correct.
    Yes, true, but Strasbourg Syndrome is also at work here, I am sure - and this is the only reason her bile intrigues me, because many others are afflicted with this peculiar mental scrofula. Some, I fear, abide on here

If you explore her Twitter stream, it is mostly banal chat and industry gossip and stuff about cooking. And then, every so often, there will be a mad tweet about Brexit, really angry and overdone, or there will be a psycho-bilious attack on Boris or the Tories - again, clearly Brexit driven

I am sure Alastair Meeks would never tweet so crassly about the recently dead, but I am reminded of some of his outbursts on here. Cool and lucid - then a sudden spasm of Brexity spite, quite out of character.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526
    Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

Yes, sad to see the death of a European migrant would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    My theory for why Twitter embeds were so bad is because every time a post with a Tweet was quoted, it was re-displaying the embed again and again.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    eek said:

If so, a great improvement. Using this site on an iPad on days when Scott or HY has been filling the thread with spam tweets is seriously unpleasant.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Your mission to find anti-Brexit motivations in absolutely everything might suggest that the neurosis is more on your part.
    I am a doctor of the soul, I seek only to heal
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,862
    @Ned_Donovan: The College of Arms, responsible for state ceremonial, has issued guidance on what to expect for His Late Royal Hig… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1380508229986320385
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

As soon as you see those four letters you just know that nonsense will follow.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Leon said:

Sorry to see Prince Philip pass away

Im nearly 60 and he has always been there . One of life's constants has just faded away.

Likewise. Troubling

If I feel a bit rattled by this - and I do - the death of Her Maj is going to be an enormous wrench - even for republicans. Most of us have only ever known her. The Mother of the country. A fixed source of stability in a scary and changing world
    It's sort of how Victorians must have felt when the old girl went, old certainties gone and no idea of what lies ahead.
  • Options

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Your completely twattish obsession with the EU and your belief that anyone who doesn't share your Little England views must be demonised is just as moronic as the nasty piece of work that wrote the tweet to which you refer. Give it a rest and get some therapy.
    This must be the best example of a QED since you last said something mad, about five minutes ago
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Ned_Donovan: The College of Arms, responsible for state ceremonial, has issued guidance on what to expect for His Late Royal Hig… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1380508229986320385

@ydoethur from that link:

"The Duke of Edinburgh was granted the style and title of Royal Highness on 19 November 1947; on the next day, 20 November, he was created Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, of Greenwich in the County of London. These peerages are hereditary and on the death of His Royal Highness have passed to his eldest son, HRH The Prince of Wales. In the event of the Prince of Wales or any subsequent holder of these titles succeeding to the Crown, these titles and all others held will merge with the Crown."
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"The Duke of Edinburgh was granted the style and title of Royal Highness on 19 November 1947; on the next day, 20 November, he was created Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, of Greenwich in the County of London. These peerages are hereditary and on the death of His Royal Highness have passed to his eldest son, HRH The Prince of Wales. In the event of the Prince of Wales or any subsequent holder of these titles succeeding to the Crown, these titles and all others held will merge with the Crown."
    Thanks.
  • Options
    If twitter embeds will no longer display, a brief plea for people to try to give some indication what they contain, in brief fashion of course. Who'd want to click on each one and discover nothing but Julia Hartley Brewer/Comedy Dave/Jolyon Maugham tweets?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    The BBC News headline is a bit odd. "Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99, palace says". It sounds like there is some element of uncertainty about it. Or are they just mindlessly using their protocol for something with a single source?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

If so, a great improvement. Using this site on an iPad on days when Scott or HY has been filling the thread with spam tweets is seriously unpleasant.
    HY at least uses them to supplement his own views, rather than as his staple output. I am sure Scott is a great guy and means well, but on the rare occasion he offers something other than a Tweet from someone else, he sounds oddly like a Tweet from someone else.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's interesting to note that it mentions that his titles have gone to Prince Charles and not to Prince Edward

In the event of the Prince of Wales or any subsequent holder of these titles succeeding to the Crown, these titles and all others held will merge with the Crown.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It's performative.

Yes, true, but Strasbourg Syndrome is also at work here, I am sure - and this is the only reason her bile intrigues me, because many others are afflicted with this peculiar mental scrofula. Some, I fear, abide on here

If you explore her Twitter stream, it is mostly banal chat and industry gossip and stuff about cooking. And then, every so often, there will be a mad tweet about Brexit, really angry and overdone, or there will be a psycho-bilious attack on Boris or the Tories - again, clearly Brexit driven

I am sure Alastair Meeks would never tweet so crassly about the recently dead, but I am reminded of some of his outbursts on here. Cool and lucid - then a sudden spasm of Brexity spite, quite out of character.
    Iatre therapeuson seauton
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    Another half-decent shift yesterday

Hugo Gye
    @HugoGye
    ·
    14m
    545,511 new vaccinations registered in UK yesterday

ENG 55,539 1st doses / 403,212 2nd doses
    SCO 16,746 / 24,436
    WAL 17,362 / 13,579
    NIR 6,595 / 8,042
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    I am a doctor of the soul, I seek only to heal
    I'm not sure we can all have confidence in whatever organisation provided the accreditation for that doctorate...
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

Harsh on L E O N.

But fair.
  • Options

The BBC News headline is a bit odd. "Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99, palace says". It sounds like there is some element of uncertainty about it. Or are they just mindlessly using their protocol for something with a single source?

Well, it’s a statement of fact. It has been announced by the Palace.

But you’re right, it is a bit silly. He’s not likely to suddenly stand on the gatehouse at Windsor and shout ‘April Fool, suckers’ if it’s been officially announced he’s dead.
  • Options

glw said:

Leon said:

Harsh on L E O N.

But fair.
    I was wondering why anyone thinks the Florida Board of Professional Engineers only talk nonsense.

But I gather it’s got another meaning.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

But you’re right, it is a bit silly. He’s not likely to suddenly stand on the gatehouse at Windsor and shout ‘April Fool, suckers’ if it’s been officially announced he’s dead.
    Although out of all Royals he probably would have been the one to attempt to play that trick...
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Although out of all Royals he probably would have been the one to attempt to play that trick...
    I can just see him doing it - but not over a week late!
  • Options
    Great anecdote, thanks @IanB2
  • Options
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

All things end.

I remain reasonably confident that Covid restrictions will cease at some point before the heat death of the universe.

Wouldn't guarantee it though.
    Well I just hope you've taken some comfort from my efforts in this regard. I've been giving it my best shot with all you "the govt and the scientists just luv it" gloomballs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If twitter embeds will no longer display, a brief plea for people to try to give some indication what they contain, in brief fashion of course. Who'd want to click on each one and discover nothing but Julia Hartley Brewer/Comedy Dave/Jolyon Maugham tweets?

I have taken to cut and pasting the tweet itself, then adding a link

I entirely understand why Robert has cut the direct tweet display, but it is also a shame. A comment with a well chosen tweet to illustrate it, is a lot more expressive and vivid than the bare remark. Something is lost
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Thanks.
    Still nothing for Archie. Oh well.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    edited April 2021

Yes. Strange. Earlier it said "BP has confirmed...."
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    This must be the best example of a QED since you last said something mad, about five minutes ago
    Psychological projection is clearly another of your many psychoses
  • Options

Totally O/t but just had a call from the "National Crime Agency" telling me my NI Number was under investigation, and I should 'press ONE to speak to an officer.

Needless to say I didn't. Anyway, nowadays all it's used for is paying my OA pension!

Scam !!!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Sandpit said:

England vaccine numbers

First 55,539
    Second 403,212
    Total 458,751

We'll have passed 27 million people vaccinated in England today
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,238
    Jockeys are wearing black arm bands. Prince Philip was a member of the Jockey Club.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Its got nothing to do with Europe. Some people are simply twats and that preceded Brexit.

I agree with you about "Strasbourg Syndrome" and some on this site have it, but they've all been respectful about HRH. Just as republicans have been too.

People being twattish is nothing to do with Europe, nothing to do with republicanism, its simply attention seeking twats on Twitter. There always have been attention seeking twats on Twitter and there always will be. Had never occurred, had FBPE never come to exist, she would have still done the same thing. Because she's an attention seeking twat on Twitter.

David Cameron had it right.
  • Options
    So, anyway, as somebody else was musing, it'll be strange, life without Philip.

But it's quite a way off, I sense. Many thousands of punchy posts arguing that black is white are almost certainly still to come. :smile:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

I have taken to cut and pasting the tweet itself, then adding a link

I entirely understand why Robert has cut the direct tweet display, but it is also a shame. A comment with a well chosen tweet to illustrate it, is a lot more expressive and vivid than the bare remark. Something is lost
    If it discourages people from spamming any old crap into this forum, it’ll be a real improvement. At least you have the decency to type out your own crap longhand.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I do like when summaries quote only parts of a statement, makes them sound sarcastic, like this off the BBC

It was with "deep sorrow" that the Queen announced the death of her "beloved" husband

Nicholas Witchell’s best one was on Diana.

‘Prince Charles will arrive in Paris this afternoon. He will go to the hospital, and thank the staff, before bringing the Princess’ body home.’
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    So far, so good on the new Twitter policy. It does seem to have solved the reloading problem that was afflicting the Apple fleet.

There are ancillary benefits too: no Comedy Dave spam, as KLE4 says.

My regards and congratulations to @rcs1000 and @TheScreamingEagles for this transformative change in policy.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Good, old Sentamu, burbling and chortling away, much preferable to the hushed faux mournful. That probably IS what Phil would have wanted.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    kle4 said:

I do like when summaries quote only parts of a statement, makes them sound sarcastic, like this off the BBC

It was with "deep sorrow" that the Queen announced the death of her "beloved" husband

At the time of writing, the BBC website headline still reads “Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99, PALACE SAYS”. That amused me.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If you go on iPlayer and scroll back to 12.09 there is When Paramedics Attack, or something, on. It is very powerful the way they then interrupt this to go to the announcement. Newscaster there, in black. She looked quite moved. Then the National Anthem.

Just watched it - she actually sounded like she'd been crying. As a lapsed journalist (a crap one) I find this stuff fascinating. When I worked in commercial radio there was a folder of what to do should a senior royal throw a 7 - IIRC we were to drop whatever we were doing, fade in Independent Radio News and then wait further instructions.

It could be worse. I was in LA when Princess Diana died. TV news there was covering the accident. Prototype American news anchors - female presenter who looked like Barbie, striking black male co-presenter with a Deep Voice. They broke into their coverage with "Oh. I'm receiving word that Princess Diana has died. [pause for effect]. We'll be back after these messages".

At which point it cut away to a photo of a smiling Diana. In a pink heart. With dates caption. I confess that I howled with laughter at how tone deaf it was.

I remember when Diana died - I was abroad and news came through that her condition was "grave". Oh that's ok we said, she's well enough to have a condition, and a doctor with us said no - grave means they are about to or have died.
    After the road crash, and given the hour, news reports simply led with her death.
    I remember listening to the radio in the early morning. It was TalkRadio in its very early days. I cant remember the broadcaster's name now, but some of the best and most professional radio broadcasting i had heard up until then or since.

Edit Mike Dickin was the presenter
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    You do realise that when the DSM-6 adds Strasbourg Syndrome to the list of cognitive disorders, you will be the first example cited, as a "rare and extreme case". They might even want a photo of your tiny little face, like a gargoyle made of bacon, screwed into a whirling ball of fury as you express, for the nine millionth time, your entirely logical hatred of Nigel Farage's corduroys
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Scorecard from Lord’s.

Sam Robson - 165

20 other batsmen - 217.

Could be worse for Somerset supporters. You might be supporting Leicestershire.

Edit - and Darren Stevens, 45 in 2 months, starts the season with an unbeaten century!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,392
    edited April 2021

That's interesting.

I had one earlier about "before the Inland Revenue take action at the Local Courthouse" in a Yankee-Doodle accent.

Number was code then 9912879.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

So far, so good on the new Twitter policy. It does seem to have solved the reloading problem that was afflicting the Apple fleet.

My regards and congratulations to @rcs1000 and @TheScreamingEagles for this transformative change in policy.

This has passed me by. Are we not allowed to post twitter links now?
  • Options
    Union flag flying at half mast on all government buildings from now until 8am on day of the funeral.

Wonder whether Scotland will do the same?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    A former student of mine now in his 30s just posted this on FB:

"Somewhere today there’s a Grandma that needs a hug."

I'm impressed!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Union flag flying at half mast on all government buildings from now until 8am on day of the funeral.

Wonder whether Scotland will do the same?

I thought the union flag was banned except on a handful of days? ;)
  • Options

Jockeys are wearing black arm bands. Prince Philip was a member of the Jockey Club.

The most impressive bit there is that someone remembered where they had been storing them.
  • Options

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Its got nothing to do with Europe. Some people are simply twats and that preceded Brexit.

I agree with you about "Strasbourg Syndrome" and some on this site have it, but they've all been respectful about HRH. Just as republicans have been too.

People being twattish is nothing to do with Europe, nothing to do with republicanism, its simply attention seeking twats on Twitter. There always have been attention seeking twats on Twitter and there always will be. Had never occurred, had FBPE never come to exist, she would have still done the same thing. Because she's an attention seeking twat on Twitter.

No. See her second tweet. She compares Philip to Boris, because she HATES Boris (because Brexit)

The Syndrome is at work, but it is deep and subconscious. Remember, I am the acknowledged expert in this field, as Freud was to anal fixation
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    eek said:

The most impressive bit there is that someone remembered where they had been storing them.
    Prime Now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.

No. See her second tweet. She compares Philip to Boris, because she HATES Boris (because Brexit)

The Syndrome is at work, but it is deep and subconscious. Remember, I am the acknowledged expert in this field, as Freud was to anal fixation
    Are you still talking about that random twitter woman?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    I agree with those who say he has always been there and that's what is strange.

I used to work for him. He was very much WYSIWYG.

I don't recognise the picture @IanB2 paints (approaching only those from an ethnic minority background) which is not to say it didn't happen. But I do know that he and many other senior military folk do and say/ask just that, but to everyone - white, black, or brown - so maybe it was a coincidence who knows.
  • Options

We can post them, but they don’t embed. You have to click on them to see what’s in them.

Likewise Youtube videos.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.

People hated Boris and the monarchy before Brexit. Because they're leftwing extremists.

The Guardian practically predicted that London would fall into the Thames if Boris was elected.

Nothing to do with Brexit, just a hate-filled narcissist grabbing any excuse to get attention, which you're wholeheartedly giving her.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

The auto-loading of Twitter links is disabled. So you can post a link - it will just appear as a link. Rather than the actual tweet appearing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    You do realise that when the DSM-6 adds Strasbourg Syndrome to the list of cognitive disorders, you will be the first example cited, as a "rare and extreme case". They might even want a photo of your tiny little face, like a gargoyle made of bacon, screwed into a whirling ball of fury as you express, for the nine millionth time, your entirely logical hatred of Nigel Farage's corduroys
    If I were to call you a twat, it might dignify your stupidity so I will refrain from doing what is most called for as I have never called anyone a twat on this forum before, so once again in your sad little life you will not have achieved something that is a first. Get some therapy!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    EMA investigating cases with low platelet blood clots among people who had J&J vaccine.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    If I were to call you a twat, it might dignify your stupidity so I will refrain from doing what is most called for as I have never called anyone a twat on this forum before, so once again in your sad little life you will not have achieved something that is a first. Get some therapy!
    I'm glad you two are not in the same room right now, I'd think you were about to make out.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Never press one from an unsolicited phone call.
    As if the National Crime Agency would merrily phone folk up to tell them they are being investigated.
    They just might, you know, scarper or summat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    I'm glad you two are not in the same room right now, I'd think you were about to make out.
    I don’t want to speculate, but how on earth did you deduce that from that?
This discussion has been closed.