Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Prince Phillip 1921-2021 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,421

Just checked and Heart are playing music.

Almost as if there exist stations outside of the BBC. Funny that.

Prediction: the BBC and the papers are gonna go so strong on this it will troll a certain type of lefty who will then lash out in ill-advised reaction, calling the late Duke a "racist" and so on. It will not go well for them when they do this. The Duke of E was a colourful character, but he actually FOUGHT NAZIS

It is already happening to some on social media - not just the lady I cited earlier. They can't help themselves

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    edited April 2021

There is no substitute for Radios 3, 6 and 1X – yet ludicrously all of these have the Phillip stream.

Do Radio 1Xtra dance music fans typically demonstrate a predilection for rolling obituary?

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

England vaccine numbers

First 55,539
    Second 403,212
    Total 458,751

Well at least there’s some good news today!
    We'll have passed 27 million people vaccinated in England today
    I though such long distance travel was discouraged.
    Who was with you ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    HYUFD said:

Off topic nominations have closed for the local elections in May and I am in a straight fight with an ex UKIP candidate for a town council by election seat as well as facing the LD incumbent at district level

Is your flagship policy a promise to deploy town resources as part of a combined effort to suppress any Scottish insurrection?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,914
    TimT said:

kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/celtjules66/status/1380490298674065411

Jesus Christ what is wrong with people!

I do get people who want to, for some reason, loudly proclaim how much they don't care for this story, or how much attention it gets. I get people who care deeply about Palestine (or say they do anyway).

What I will never understand is why there are people who make everything about Palestine, so as to use the latter as their reason for complaining about the former.

What would be funny is if the Palestinian factions tweeted their commiserations about Phillip. See that tweeters head explode.
    What did the tweet say? All I get is This tweet in unavailable.
    Oh, the usual sort of thing, 'How you can talk about X when people in Palestine are suffering?' etc, followed by some other people saying how right they were, that Starmer was bought and paid for by the apartheid state and so on.
  • Options

There is no substitute for Radios 3, 6 and 1X – yet ludicrously all of these have the Phillip stream.

Do Radio 1Xtra dance music fans typical demonstrate a predilection for rolling obituary?

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.
    Is 1Xtra really not playing music? :D
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Some very good news that may have been missed.

Kate Garraway's husband returns home after a year-long battle with Covid-19
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56686681

That should give us all hope for those with Long Covid etc.

He's lost the ability to speak and will need 24/7 care. That sounds absolutely tragic and not that good news.

Happy for the family that he can go home, but that fate sounds horrendous. Best wishes for them going forwards.
    He’s still alive. It’s not that long ago that nobody thought he’d be leaving hospital.

Let’s take what we can in terms of encouragement.
    I met him once, at a small audience talk he gave about his spinning days with New Labour. He was a very entertaining speaker, but came across (as he was well self aware) as someone without any scruples whatsoever, and he had some great stories to tell, although sadly none that have stuck in the memory after so many years.
    I remember him gate-crashing an early Political Betting party held at the National Liberal Club (those were the days...). I do hope he continues to recover, it sounds absolutely ghastly.
    I think there have been suggestions that the vaccines relieve some long COVID symptoms so maybe there is some hope. I wish there was more awareness of these sort of consequences among those blasé about the virus.
    There is a lot of evidence that vaccines relieve symptoms period. I have not seen anything additional about long COVID per se, but presumably if vaccines are reducing symptomatic infections by 90+%, this applies to long COVID too.

Or are you talking about the impact of vaccinating those who already have long COVID? If so, I've seen no data on that.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,916

eek said:

kle4 said:

Is that making a point in relation to the thread? Presumably that coverage of the death of the husband of the Head of State still being on the news a lot within 3 hours of it being announced is too much?
    While it’s understandable that some will want 24 hour coverage, and therefore right that Radio 4/5 clear their schedules, taking everything else off air on all its channels is ridiculous. It’s at times like this that Radio 3 would normally provide a refuge of sanity and normality. I want it back asap.
    You've still got classic FM and Scala - granted neither offer the same sound quality (bitrate) and are populist but needs must...
    Classic FM is utterly intolerable.
    Agreed - try streaming Swiss Radio Classic - no adverts, very little chat, good selections
  • Options
    Leon said:

Prediction: the BBC and the papers are gonna go so strong on this it will troll a certain type of lefty who will then lash out in ill-advised reaction, calling the late Duke a "racist" and so on. It will not go well for them when they do this. The Duke of E was a colourful character, but he actually FOUGHT NAZIS

It is already happening to some on social media - not just the lady I cited earlier. They can't help themselves

Telling racist jokes is the worst thing in the world, you think fighting nazis matters?

But as amusing as those who get over the top upset about coverage of Philip will be, bear in mind it'll only be the sillier ones.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Off topic nominations have closed for the local elections in May and I am in a straight fight with an ex UKIP candidate for a town council by election seat as well as facing the LD incumbent at district level

Is your flagship policy a promise to deploy town resources as part of a combined effort to suppress any Scottish insurrection?

HYUFD said:

The Anti-Caledonian Defence Force stationed amid the thickets of Epping Forest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

I do get people who want to, for some reason, loudly proclaim how much they don't care for this story, or how much attention it gets. I get people who care deeply about Palestine (or say they do anyway).

What I will never understand is why there are people who make everything about Palestine, so as to use the latter as their reason for complaining about the former.

What would be funny is if the Palestinian factions tweeted their commiserations about Phillip. See that tweeters head explode.
    Oh, the usual sort of thing, 'How you can talk about X when people in Palestine are suffering?' etc, followed by some other people saying how right they were, that Starmer was bought and paid for by the apartheid state and so on.
    I got a screenshot.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

England vaccine numbers

First 55,539
    Second 403,212
    Total 458,751

Well at least there’s some good news today!
    We'll have passed 27 million people vaccinated in England today
    I though such long distance travel was discouraged.
    Who was with you ?
    And how do you know they were all vaccinated? We don't even have certificates yet.
  • Options

kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

I got a screenshot.

Labour still has it toxic coterie
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2021

Do Radio 1Xtra dance music fans typically demonstrate a predilection for rolling obituary?

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.
    You're right it is beyond ridiculous how many radio stations the BBC has. Is there really a need for a state broadcaster of dance music?

Well beyond time all those stations are either privatised or abolished, there's no justification for a tax/licence fee for that.

Oh, was that not your point?

PS there are plenty of alternatives: Spotify, Amazon, Apple, Youtube . . .
  • Options
    TimT said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Some very good news that may have been missed.

Kate Garraway's husband returns home after a year-long battle with Covid-19
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56686681

That should give us all hope for those with Long Covid etc.

He's lost the ability to speak and will need 24/7 care. That sounds absolutely tragic and not that good news.

Happy for the family that he can go home, but that fate sounds horrendous. Best wishes for them going forwards.
    He’s still alive. It’s not that long ago that nobody thought he’d be leaving hospital.

Let’s take what we can in terms of encouragement.
    I met him once, at a small audience talk he gave about his spinning days with New Labour. He was a very entertaining speaker, but came across (as he was well self aware) as someone without any scruples whatsoever, and he had some great stories to tell, although sadly none that have stuck in the memory after so many years.
    I remember him gate-crashing an early Political Betting party held at the National Liberal Club (those were the days...). I do hope he continues to recover, it sounds absolutely ghastly.
    I think there have been suggestions that the vaccines relieve some long COVID symptoms so maybe there is some hope. I wish there was more awareness of these sort of consequences among those blasé about the virus.
    There is a lot of evidence that vaccines relieve symptoms period. I have not seen anything additional about long COVID per se, but presumably if vaccines are reducing symptomatic infections by 90+%, this applies to long COVID too.

Or are you talking about the impact of vaccinating those who already have long COVID? If so, I've seen no data on that.
    Oh, I see, the latter.

A useful report here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/07/covid-vaccine-long-haulers-report-symptoms-easing-after-getting-shot.html
  • Options

Do Radio 1Xtra dance music fans typical demonstrate a predilection for rolling obituary?

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.
    Is 1Xtra really not playing music? :D
    I know. Really.

It is Prince P ft/ Giles Brandreth (Old Skool Royale Remix).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,655
    edited April 2021
    DofE chairing an environmental talk at the RSA in 2011 by David Attenborough.

Skip to 29 minutes for the questions. There's also quite a good story about promoting condoms in Thailand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP291B7SCw
  • Options

There is no mode other than "chaotic" at Islamabad airport. On a good day it is glorious pandemonium. Other days, rather more inglorious.

I remember a colleague telling me he was sat in the business lounge there, watching as a BA plane took off and idly musing "I didn't know BA had two flights today...."

They didn't. They had just forgotten to call the passengers in the lounge.
    Have you been to the new airport? The line to get in is just as chaotic, but at least there is now plenty of room for the chaos. And you can always bribe yourself around it (sorry, pay for deluxe service)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck to you (and to other PBers standing). Constituents can be confident you would fight hard for them, no question.
    Thanks Kle4
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

kle4 said:

Is that making a point in relation to the thread? Presumably that coverage of the death of the husband of the Head of State still being on the news a lot within 3 hours of it being announced is too much?

Its not for 3 hrs though is it

Its every BBC TV and Radio Channel till at least Midnight

On Radio qne two thre four five every local radio station for at least a further 10 hrs

I was living in Germany when Princess Diana died. they had coverage 24/7 on multiple channels for a week. I expect no less now
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.
    You're right it is beyond ridiculous how many radio stations the BBC has. Is there really a need for a state broadcaster of dance music?

Well beyond time all those stations are either privatised or abolished, there's no justification for a tax/licence fee for that.

No it wasn't. 1X is great – class house and techno and drum and bass, no ads. Very good quality stream across various mediums.

Radio 3 is utterly brilliant too. No substitute for that. Radio 6, often superb.

BBC Radio is worth the licence fee on its own. I could easily live without the telly bit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Telling racist jokes is the worst thing in the world, you think fighting nazis matters?

But as amusing as those who get over the top upset about coverage of Philip will be, bear in mind it'll only be the sillier ones.
    I remember when the Queen Mum died, there was much lofty chortling in the Guardian - and elsewhere - "oh who cares about the smelly old lady", "you know she was a drunk", "no one will go to the funeral, no one cares any more"

Then 200,000 queued through day and night just to see her coffin in Westminster Hall, and then half a million people lined the streets of London for her funeral

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/1m-turn-out-for-queen-mother-6329280.html

Monarchy is extraordinarily powerful, it tugs on primal emotions. No one else in British life could get half a MILLION people at their funeral, and she wasn't even the sovereign

The Queen will get a million. Easy
    I'd probably go down to London just to experience the event.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    4 wins from 4 bets so far.

Small stakes mind.

Now green on both likely winners in Hartlepool too
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Spotify = 70% of the BBC licence fee.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821
    CBeebies has a black bottom of screen banner announcing 'Major News Report on BBC ONE', just below the Swashbuckle pirates getting gunged.

Seems to be on-screen for a minute or so before disappearing.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

The mad travel journalist is still at it. Another tweet

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    Face vomiting emoji Face vomiting emoji
    My feelings about the massive faux outpouring of grief for a racist misogynist. It's like the PM. As long as you went to a posh school, it's OK to be a terrible human, and people will just tussle your hair and call you a jape.

https://twitter.com/WordsByJill/status/1380493314005303297?s=20

This is such a bizarrely inappropriate reaction - even if these are your opinions, you could wait until the body is cold - I went back over her Twitter feed to see, having a faint suspicion.....

Yes, I was right. FBPE. Strasbourg Syndrome

You don’t have to scour the internet for wrongthink.

It’s optional.
    It's the FBPE element that fascinates me. Strasbourg Syndrome has so many weird symptoms. This is yet another one - hugely inappropriate reactions to royal people dying. She probably believes Philip was a Leaver.
    Your completely twattish obsession with the EU and your belief that anyone who doesn't share your Little England views must be demonised is just as moronic as the nasty piece of work that wrote the tweet to which you refer. Give it a rest and get some therapy.
    This must be the best example of a QED since you last said something mad, about five minutes ago
    Psychological projection is clearly another of your many psychoses
    You do realise that when the DSM-6 adds Strasbourg Syndrome to the list of cognitive disorders, you will be the first example cited, as a "rare and extreme case". They might even want a photo of your tiny little face, like a gargoyle made of bacon, screwed into a whirling ball of fury as you express, for the nine millionth time, your entirely logical hatred of Nigel Farage's corduroys
    If I were to call you a twat, it might dignify your stupidity so I will refrain from doing what is most called for as I have never called anyone a twat on this forum before, so once again in your sad little life you will not have achieved something that is a first. Get some therapy!
    I'm glad you two are not in the same room right now, I'd think you were about to make out.
    I don’t want to speculate, but how on earth did you deduce that from that?
    Frisson.

Like the other day when I mentioned to Leon that our bums had shared the same seat for vaccination he pretended not to be pleased at the thought.

And of course I played along and dropped it, not wishing to trifle with somebody's emotions.
    He referenced an anal fixation earlier.
    Was clearly a Freudian slip.
    A lapsus olisbi?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,371

kle4 said:

Its not for 3 hrs though is it

Its every BBC TV and Radio Channel till at least Midnight

On Radio qne two thre four five every local radio station for at least a further 10 hrs

I was living in Germany when Princess Diana died. they had coverage 24/7 on multiple channels for a week. I expect no less now
    "Phillip - The People's Prince Consort"
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

I got a screenshot.

Out of all the downtrodden and dispossessed, why does Palestine fascinate them so?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

A decent number of chuckles from his greatest hits.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I remember when the Queen Mum died, there was much lofty chortling in the Guardian - and elsewhere - "oh who cares about the smelly old lady", "you know she was a drunk", "no one will go to the funeral, no one cares any more"

Then 200,000 queued through day and night just to see her coffin in Westminster Hall, and then half a million people lined the streets of London for her funeral

Monarchy is extraordinarily powerful, it tugs on primal emotions. No one else in British life could get half a MILLION people at their funeral, and she wasn't even the sovereign

That's what happened to me with Diana and the flowers at Kensington Palace. I was no fan of hers, but I was glad I experienced the event. No amount of TV, radio or print coverage could replace the experience of smelling the flower bouquets from about a mile away.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I was on the streets for Diana's funeral - I saw the two princes do that walk. I went to the Queen Mum's funeral. I will definitely be there for Her Maj

Partly because I am a monarchist, partly because I like the pomp and circumstance, but also because they are anthropologically fascinating events, as you suggest

The death and funeral of the Queen - may it be long distant - will be epochal
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    MaxPB said:

"Do you know they're now producing eating dogs for anorexics?" (to a blind woman outside Exeter Cathedral, 2002).

some fantastic material
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The largest funerals in history ("millions" of attendees) all happened in Republics:

India, Iran, Egypt, Vietnam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_funerals
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

I got a screenshot.

Out of all the downtrodden and dispossessed, why does Palestine fascinate them so?
    I think we know why......
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Which is a free choice - on the other hand we have no option but to pay for the beeb
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The largest funerals in history ("millions" of attendees) all happened in Republics:

Fascinating list.

Victor Hugo got 2m!?!? Why?

Eva Peron, 3m. Impressive
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

No it wasn't. 1X is great – class house and techno and drum and bass, no ads. Very good quality stream across various mediums.

Radio 3 is utterly brilliant too. No substitute for that. Radio 6, often superb.

BBC Radio is worth the licence fee on its own. I could easily live without the telly bit.
    You can get that music on Spotify/YouTube etc too.

If you think its that great then there's no reason you couldn't pay a subscription service for that. The state broadcaster choosing to pay tribute to the death of the consort of the head of state seems reasonable, don't listen to a state broadcaster and choose an alternative if that bothers you.

But that the state broadcaster is involved in dance music shows just how screwed up the BBC is.

I wonder if Russia Today have a dance music station?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MaxPB said:

Did he never have any insults towards the French? Very disappointing if he missed out on giving them a put down or two.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

That's not exactly the same thing though, is it?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck to you (and to other PBers standing). Constituents can be confident you would fight hard for them, no question.
    With tanks, if necessary ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Does my fuse box look big in this? :lol:
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    MaxPB said:

A true devotee to drama.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

"Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease" In Australia when asked to stroke a koala

Not sure why that one is in that list, it seems a reasonable fear :)

Koala chlamydia: The STD threatening an Australian icon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22207442
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I was on the streets for Diana's funeral - I saw the two princes do that walk.
    'Course you were, Sean, er, I mean Leon! 'Course you were!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Or you can get it for free with ads.

Free choice in a free market, not pay for this or you go to prison.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fascinating list.

Bear in mind the world seems shit at estimating crowd numbers, hence why on big marches different groups will estimate numbers ranging from 100k to 1m.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    Off topic, I went for a bike ride earlier this pm. Passing Shepherd’s Bush underground, I saw Piers Corbyn addressing onlookers telling them about a freedom March scheduled for 21 April. He proclaimed that it will be attended by 100,000 people; however, that claim was rather undermined by the fact that those directly listening to him numbered around six.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Which is a free choice - on the other hand we have no option but to pay for the beeb
    Of course. I am just trying to put things into perspective. I am in favour of a split up module-by-module subscription service for the BBC. I am just pointing out that £14.70/month is not a big number if you chuck in Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

If you think its that great then there's no reason you couldn't pay a subscription service for that. The state broadcaster choosing to pay tribute to the death of the consort of the head of state seems reasonable, don't listen to a state broadcaster and choose an alternative if that bothers you.

But that the state broadcaster is involved in dance music shows just how screwed up the BBC is.

Drum'n'donbass
    IRBM'n'donbass
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Leon said:

The best judged Twitter approach for the left is being exemplified, as it so often is, by Owen Jones. Nothing crass about the Duke. Neither anything grudging and fakely lukewarm. Just nothing. Not a dicky bird. He's talking about the problems in NI.

The guy is not the digital leader of the Modern Metro Left for nothing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Of course. I am just trying to put things into perspective. I am in favour of a split up module-by-module subscription service for the BBC. I am just pointing out that £14.70/month is not a big number if you chuck in Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
    Again - if I want to pay I will pay - I don't use the beeb but have to fund them
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Or you can get it for free with ads.

Free choice in a free market, not pay for this or you go to prison.
    THIS
  • Options
    As predicted. The Left never fails

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi
    A couple of attention seekers with bottles of champagne being disrespectful outside Buckingham Palace.

"It's a celebration of death"

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1380525029130170369?s=20

https://twitter.com/MahyarTousi/status/1380525931375292416?s=20
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

You think the BBC radio is worth the same as Spotify?

The entire BBC radio combined is worth about 1% of Spotify/YouTube music subscription in my eyes.

On the BBC you get whatever song the DJ on the BBC is currently playing, if they're even playing a song right now. Or you get instant access to your choice of almost every song ever recorded.
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

No problem with them paying tribute to Phillip, just not on every single channel!!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,655
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fascinating list.

Population of Argentina in 1952: 17.5 million.

Is this the last time we get to mention the War?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi
    A couple of attention seekers with bottles of champagne being disrespectful outside Buckingham Palace.

Who says they're on "the left"?
  • Options

Leon said:

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi

Their posh accents
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi

They're idiots but it's ironic to see you and Tom Harwood supporting cancelling people for having their own opinions.

However vile and disgusting they might be - and in terribly bad taste, I don't believe in shutting them down. I thought you didn't ether.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi

Their posh accents
    Right.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fascinating list.

Even a racing driver can get more than 3m to turn up for his funeral...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi

Their posh accents
    The Queen is a lefty? Mind. Blown.
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

I don't see why it having a dance music station is philosophically any different from it having a classical music station. I'm an avid listener of both, so I'm glad it has both.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi

They're idiots but it's ironic to see you and Tom Harwood supporting cancelling people for having their own opinions.

However vile and disgusting they might be - and in terribly bad taste, I don't believe in shutting them down. I thought you didn't ether.
    I don't support cancelling them. Point me to where I said that

I am merely illustrating the fact that my prediction of about 40 minutes ago, that some lefties will react foolishly to this, in a way detrimental to their cause, is already coming true. Watch it unfold from here

Another skirmish in the cuiture war, but this one on adverse terrain for Guardianista
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

The entire BBC radio combined is worth about 1% of Spotify/YouTube music subscription in my eyes.

On the BBC you get whatever song the DJ on the BBC is currently playing, if they're even playing a song right now. Or you get instant access to your choice of almost every song ever recorded.
    What is the commentary and explanatory context of Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No.2 like on Spotify?
  • Options
    Isn't it about time the Biden administration amended these contracts ?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/04/why-the-us-still-cant-donate-covid-19-vaccines-to-countries-in-need
    ...The contracts the Trump administration signed with the vaccine manufacturers prohibit the U.S. from sharing its surplus doses with the rest of the world. According to contract language Vanity Fair has obtained, the agreements with Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, and Janssen state: “The Government may not use, or authorize the use of, any products or materials provided under this Project Agreement, unless such use occurs in the United States” or U.S. territories.

The clauses in question are designed to ensure that the manufacturers retain liability protection, but they have had the effect of projecting the Trump administration’s America First agenda into the Biden era. “That is what has completely and totally prohibited the U.S. from donating or reselling, because it would be in breach of contract,” said a senior administration official involved in the global planning effort. “It is a complete and total ban. Those legal parameters must change before we do anything to help the rest of the world.”..

• Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

I don't see why it having a dance music station is philosophically any different from it having a classical music station. I'm an avid listener of both, so I'm glad it has both.
    It shouldn't have either. If you want to pay for either then do so of your own free choice.
  • Options

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

It shouldn't have either. If you want to pay for either then do so of your own free choice.
    I would, and I'd be perfectly happy with a subscription model, assuming they could maintain the quality (which I'd be sceptical about, but who knows?).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

What is the commentary and explanatory context of Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No.2 like on Spotify?
    Do you think 99.9% of those forced under duress to pay for the beeb care?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Floater said:
    A nobody within UNISON, thankfully.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

The great thing about Radio 1 Xtra is it means we don't have to hear any of that shite on Radio 6. ;-)

Actually, Radio 6 has gone way downhill in the last couple of years. It used to be the first thing I put on in the morning when the breakfast show was presented by Shaun Keaveney, or before him, Phil Jupitus. But Lauren Laverne seems intent on turning it into a hen party.

None of this reflects on whether the BBC *should* be doing any of these stations, of course.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,799
    O/T

Labour have accidentally nominated two candidates for the Dore & Totley ward in Sheffield. There's only one vacancy.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/your-city-council/notice-of-election/councillors-election-notice
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Leon said:

Mahyar Tousi
    @MahyarTousi

I would say they're going to lose their jobs but they probably live off daddy's money anyway
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/04/why-the-us-still-cant-donate-covid-19-vaccines-to-countries-in-need
    ...The contracts the Trump administration signed with the vaccine manufacturers prohibit the U.S. from sharing its surplus doses with the rest of the world. According to contract language Vanity Fair has obtained, the agreements with Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, and Janssen state: “The Government may not use, or authorize the use of, any products or materials provided under this Project Agreement, unless such use occurs in the United States” or U.S. territories.

The clauses in question are designed to ensure that the manufacturers retain liability protection, but they have had the effect of projecting the Trump administration’s America First agenda into the Biden era. “That is what has completely and totally prohibited the U.S. from donating or reselling, because it would be in breach of contract,” said a senior administration official involved in the global planning effort. “It is a complete and total ban. Those legal parameters must change before we do anything to help the rest of the world.”..

At the very least, you'd think the US could release those companies from their obligations under the Defense Act to permit them to use the stockpiles in the US against other existing contracts with other countries, for which the liability issue is covered under those other contracts.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

If many people are interested in that, someone will have put it on YouTube.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,326
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Labour have accidentally nominated two candidates for the Dore & Totley ward in Sheffield. There's only one vacancy.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/your-city-council/notice-of-election/councillors-election-notice

Bloody splitters...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Cyclefree said:

I feel really sorry for HMQ. To lose the love of your life after such a long life together will be very hard for her.

Philip had a difficult role and did it superbly. He also seemed quite the card as well. What a partnership they made.

RIP.

Back in the early 90's, my wife had reason to be at a banquet and was escorted in to dinner on the arm of Philip. She was wearing a Bardot dress that showed off her, er, golden globes, to great effect. Philip was a good foot taller than her, and revelled in telling her he "can see right down your top!"

Quite the card.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    Great news for pub goers on Monday!
    The PM no longer plans to join you.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    No state funeral according to the Telegraph. He wanted a quiet send-off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2021/04/09/prince-philips-funeral-arrangements-held-invited/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    TimT said:

There is no mode other than "chaotic" at Islamabad airport. On a good day it is glorious pandemonium. Other days, rather more inglorious.

I remember a colleague telling me he was sat in the business lounge there, watching as a BA plane took off and idly musing "I didn't know BA had two flights today...."

They didn't. They had just forgotten to call the passengers in the lounge.
    Have you been to the new airport? The line to get in is just as chaotic, but at least there is now plenty of room for the chaos. And you can always bribe yourself around it (sorry, pay for deluxe service)
    I haven't been to Islamabad since Al Qaeda flattened the Marriot Hotel with a truck bomb.

Back in the day, I never worried about missing a flight. If it looked like we were running tight for time, our Mister Fixit half-joked "I will just phone in a bomb threat...."
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

I don't think you quite grasp the joy of radio Phillip. :D

Still, I'll pop you down as a 'maybe' for now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

At the very least, you'd think the US could release those companies from their obligations under the Defense Act to permit them to use the stockpiles in the US against other existing contracts with other countries, for which the liability issue is covered under those other contracts.
    The AZN one is a particular issue since it's not authorised for use in the US yet....
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

I got a screenshot.

It is a cause celebre of the right-on lefty, even though there are other places in the world that experience similar injustice . A lot of political obsessives on both left and right have their little hobbyhorses, often it is a cover up for unpleasant prejudice. I have no doubt that for a lot of lefties it is a cover up for their hatred of Jews
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Floater said:
    Yeah, outrageous.

"One less bigot" is grammatically correct!!
  • Options
    Cancel culture magically disappears when the right decide it, the culture war is an invention.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,799
    edited April 2021
    RobD said:

No state funeral according to the Telegraph. He wanted a quiet send-off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2021/04/09/prince-philips-funeral-arrangements-held-invited/

Good on him. I always liked his no nonsense, no fuss style. He probably didn't care what people said about him either.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

I am sure they would if they thought enough dumbass Brits would listen. I am sure Vlad would love to see the end of the BBC, which is yet another reason to keep it.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,561
    edited April 2021
    Floater said:
    To be fair to Claudia Webbe, who is usually a bit bonkers, her comment on there is not unreasonable or objectionable, despite what Guido may think.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Radio 1Xtra?

It is beyond ridiculous.

I don't think you quite grasp the joy of radio Phillip. :D

Still, I'll pop you down as a 'maybe' for now.
    You're right I don't grasp it, but I'm content for those that do to pay for it as a voluntary subscription - or via adverts.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

The AZN one is a particular issue since it's not authorised for use in the US yet....
    And I think I'm right in saying that the US has enough Pfizer, Moderna and J&J doses ordered to more than cover the entire population so there's no need to authorize AZN for domestic use. I suspect we won't be seeing such an authorization until after the first round of vaccinations is done.
This discussion has been closed.