Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Prince Phillip 1921-2021 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

The mad travel journalist is still at it. Another tweet

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    Face vomiting emoji Face vomiting emoji
    My feelings about the massive faux outpouring of grief for a racist misogynist. It's like the PM. As long as you went to a posh school, it's OK to be a terrible human, and people will just tussle your hair and call you a jape.

https://twitter.com/WordsByJill/status/1380493314005303297?s=20

This is such a bizarrely inappropriate reaction - even if these are your opinions, you could wait until the body is cold - I went back over her Twitter feed to see, having a faint suspicion.....

Yes, I was right. FBPE. Strasbourg Syndrome

You don’t have to scour the internet for wrongthink.

It’s optional.
    It's the FBPE element that fascinates me. Strasbourg Syndrome has so many weird symptoms. This is yet another one - hugely inappropriate reactions to royal people dying. She probably believes Philip was a Leaver.
    Your mission to find anti-Brexit motivations in absolutely everything might suggest that the neurosis is more on your part.
    I am a doctor of the soul, I seek only to heal
    That was probably what they said to Galileo.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    My feelings about the massive faux outpouring of grief for a racist misogynist. It's like the PM. As long as you went to a posh school, it's OK to be a terrible human, and people will just tussle your hair and call you a jape.

This is such a bizarrely inappropriate reaction - even if these are your opinions, you could wait until the body is cold - I went back over her Twitter feed to see, having a faint suspicion.....

It’s optional.
    It's the FBPE element that fascinates me. Strasbourg Syndrome has so many weird symptoms. This is yet another one - hugely inappropriate reactions to royal people dying. She probably believes Philip was a Leaver.
    Its got nothing to do with Europe. Some people are simply twats and that preceded Brexit.

I agree with you about "Strasbourg Syndrome" and some on this site have it, but they've all been respectful about HRH. Just as republicans have been too.

People being twattish is nothing to do with Europe, nothing to do with republicanism, its simply attention seeking twats on Twitter. There always have been attention seeking twats on Twitter and there always will be. Had never occurred, had FBPE never come to exist, she would have still done the same thing. Because she's an attention seeking twat on Twitter.

David Cameron had it right.
    No. See her second tweet. She compares Philip to Boris, because she HATES Boris (because Brexit)

The Syndrome is at work, but it is deep and subconscious. Remember, I am the acknowledged expert in this field, as Freud was to anal fixation
    Talking of such syndrome, on this day, what is Bryan Moore spending his day, on twitter....calling loads of Brexit people gammons and then arguing it about how it isn't racist and only racists say it is.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Your completely twattish obsession with the EU and your belief that anyone who doesn't share your Little England views must be demonised is just as moronic as the nasty piece of work that wrote the tweet to which you refer. Give it a rest and get some therapy.
    This must be the best example of a QED since you last said something mad, about five minutes ago
    Psychological projection is clearly another of your many psychoses
    You do realise that when the DSM-6 adds Strasbourg Syndrome to the list of cognitive disorders, you will be the first example cited, as a "rare and extreme case". They might even want a photo of your tiny little face, like a gargoyle made of bacon, screwed into a whirling ball of fury as you express, for the nine millionth time, your entirely logical hatred of Nigel Farage's corduroys
    If I were to call you a twat, it might dignify your stupidity so I will refrain from doing what is most called for as I have never called anyone a twat on this forum before, so once again in your sad little life you will not have achieved something that is a first. Get some therapy!
    Thankyou for giving "more publicity" to my comment. It is important to raise awareness of your condition
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094

So far, so good on the new Twitter policy. It does seem to have solved the reloading problem that was afflicting the Apple fleet.

There are ancillary benefits too: no Comedy Dave spam, as KLE4 says.

My regards and congratulations to @rcs1000 and @TheScreamingEagles for this transformative change in policy.

This has passed me by. Are we not allowed to post twitter links now?
    You can post the links, but they won't embed.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Your completely twattish obsession with the EU and your belief that anyone who doesn't share your Little England views must be demonised is just as moronic as the nasty piece of work that wrote the tweet to which you refer. Give it a rest and get some therapy.
    This must be the best example of a QED since you last said something mad, about five minutes ago
    You do realise that when the DSM-6 adds Strasbourg Syndrome to the list of cognitive disorders, you will be the first example cited, as a "rare and extreme case". They might even want a photo of your tiny little face, like a gargoyle made of bacon, screwed into a whirling ball of fury as you express, for the nine millionth time, your entirely logical hatred of Nigel Farage's corduroys
    If I were to call you a twat, it might dignify your stupidity so I will refrain from doing what is most called for as I have never called anyone a twat on this forum before, so once again in your sad little life you will not have achieved something that is a first. Get some therapy!
    I'm glad you two are not in the same room right now, I'd think you were about to make out.
    I don’t want to speculate, but how on earth did you deduce that from that?
    They're both acting like a kid on the playground pulling the pigtails of a girl they like.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521
    dixiedean said:

Totally O/t but just had a call from the "National Crime Agency" telling me my NI Number was under investigation, and I should 'press ONE to speak to an officer.

Needless to say I didn't. Anyway, nowadays all it's used for is paying my OA pension!

Never press one from an unsolicited phone call.
    As if the National Crime Agency would merrily phone folk up to tell them they are being investigated.
    They just might, you know, scarper or summat.
    There was a 2 Ronnies sketch, where Ronnie Barker was a criminal trying to break into a safe.

When he gets it open, the phone inside rings. Apparently, due to cut backs he has to arrest himself.

So he cheerfully puts on the handcuffs they left inside the safe....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Its got nothing to do with Europe. Some people are simply twats and that preceded Brexit.

I agree with you about "Strasbourg Syndrome" and some on this site have it, but they've all been respectful about HRH. Just as republicans have been too.

People being twattish is nothing to do with Europe, nothing to do with republicanism, its simply attention seeking twats on Twitter. There always have been attention seeking twats on Twitter and there always will be. Had never occurred, had FBPE never come to exist, she would have still done the same thing. Because she's an attention seeking twat on Twitter.

No. See her second tweet. She compares Philip to Boris, because she HATES Boris (because Brexit)

The Syndrome is at work, but it is deep and subconscious. Remember, I am the acknowledged expert in this field, as Freud was to anal fixation
    Twitter Rule 34 is that it's possible to find anyone saying anything. Just don't go on there looking for it, if it annoys you so much.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    And its snowing again. This is getting tedious.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    I'm glad you two are not in the same room right now, I'd think you were about to make out.
    aa

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Some very good news that may have been missed.

Kate Garraway's husband returns home after a year-long battle with Covid-19
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56686681

That should give us all hope for those with Long Covid etc.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    RIP Prince Phillip
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    Firstly, RIP Prince Phillip. His death wasn't totally unexpected, and though a significant national event, it doesn't feel off the scale to me. When the Queen goes, that will be very different.

In terms of how this changes the dynamics in the Royal Family, it is a sad part of a slightly dangerous recent trend for them - the roster of senior working royals looks very.depleted at the moment, Prince Phillip and the Queen had already stepped back significantly, Andrew is not to be seen in public, Harry and Meghan are gone from the firm. We have Charles and Camilla, William and Kate, and Anne as the main full time royals. Perhaps Edward, but he's always been a little lower profile.

With so few top line royals, and with the main ones often working as couples, is that even enough to open the requisite fairs, hospitals, launch the ships and tour the Commonwealth? Who else on the civil list looks willing to increase their public prominence and keep the royals carrying out the functions that have been seen as normal under the Queen?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,479

kle4 said:

I do like when summaries quote only parts of a statement, makes them sound sarcastic, like this off the BBC

It was with "deep sorrow" that the Queen announced the death of her "beloved" husband

At the time of writing, the BBC website headline still reads “Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99, PALACE SAYS”. That amused me.
    Scoop of the year if it turns out to be an insurance fraud.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    aa
    I wish it blocked pictures too...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.

Talking of such syndrome, on this day, what is Bryan Moore spending his day, on twitter....calling loads of Brexit people gammons and then arguing it about how it isn't racist and only racists say it is.
    Yeah, he's definitely got the Strasbourg pox. Tries to hide it, generally, like that English king who had leprosy
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    The amount of wild passion on both sides would be magnetic in person I suspect.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    ydoethur said:

Sounds as though he is still in a pretty bad state. Quite horrifying.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He's lost the ability to speak and will need 24/7 care. That sounds absolutely tragic and not that good news.

Happy for the family that he can go home, but that fate sounds horrendous. Best wishes for them going forwards.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He's lost the ability to speak and will need 24/7 care. That sounds absolutely tragic and not that good news.

Happy for the family that he can go home, but that fate sounds horrendous. Best wishes for them going forwards.
    He’s still alive. It’s not that long ago that nobody thought he’d be leaving hospital.

Let’s take what we can in terms of encouragement.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    They're both acting like a kid on the playground pulling the pigtails of a girl they like.
    I thought you and "Leon" would be pals, in fact at one stage I wondered if you and he were one and the same, but then I realised that while he is clearly quite insane, and like you bashes one out on Brexit at every possible moment, he was far to eloquent to be you.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    aa
    I've changed it though I'm not sure if it's an improvement..
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    The world has indeed changed. I've just been for my customary post-prandial nap, only to find that The Archers was cancelled because of the news. Whatever next?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    The worst thing about these occasions is the lowlife like Gyles Brandreth that suddenly crawl their way onto the air
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    aa
    I've changed it though I'm not sure if it's an improvement..
    Well - it’s like I used to say of Soviet living standards under Khrushchev when I was teaching Russian history. It’s better, but that doesn’t make it good.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Good, old Sentamu, burbling and chortling away, much preferable to the hushed faux mournful. That probably IS what Phil would have wanted.

I think we just agreed on something.

I'm going for a walk.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Christ. Awful. And terrifying.

Keep Jabbing
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Sounds as though he is still in a pretty bad state. Quite horrifying.
    He's survived therefore everything is perfectly fine acording to the "99.7% chance of survival" denial crew on twitter.
  • Options
    Is that making a point in relation to the thread? Presumably that coverage of the death of the husband of the Head of State still being on the news a lot within 3 hours of it being announced is too much?
  • Options

The world has indeed changed. I've just been for my customary post-prandial nap, only to find that The Archers was cancelled because of the news. Whatever next?

Hopefully Alice can get her drinking under control
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    edited April 2021
    "The College of Arms has confirmed the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral will not be a state funeral and the public has been asked not to attempt to attend any of the funeral events due to concerns about the spread of coronavirus"

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1380516847586529286
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    Pulpstar said:

Hopefully Alice can get her drinking under control
    Yes, that's an exciting story line isn't it?!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The College of Arms has confirmed the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral will not be a state funeral and the public has been asked not to attempt to attend any of the funeral events due to concerns about the spread of coronavirus"

Funeral also at St George’s Chapel.

Right decision all around.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is that making a point in relation to the thread? Presumably that coverage of the death of the husband of the Head of State still being on the news a lot within 3 hours of it being announced is too much?
    Michael Jackson was on for bloody ages.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    kle4 said:

Its not for 3 hrs though is it

Its every BBC TV and Radio Channel till at least Midnight

On Radio qne two thre four five every local radio station for at least a further 10 hrs

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Funny. I was talking with my Pakistani colleagues two days ago about the status of COVID there. The Kent variant is widespread there 'because of all the British Pakistanis who came back to Pakistan to avoid lockdown in the UK'.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    One of the most difficult things to understand about the whole pandemic, is the attitude of many Western governments toward international travel.

I say that as someone who’s been stuck in a foreign country for the whole thing, and would quite like to visit his parents and new nephew sometime soon - but understands that time is definitely still some months away.

Speaking of which, off to the vaccine centre for jab #2. Laters.
  • Options

kle4 said:

On Radio qne two thre four five every local radio station for at least a further 10 hrs

There is this thing called the "internet" which now provides quite a lot of variety, if you explore it

Tho I picture you furiously hunched by your Bakelite Wireless, counting the seconds of unnecessary broadcasting
  • Options

kle4 said:

You act like you've never seen a story about a famous person before. It's going to be days of coverage. When the Queen dies it'll be weeks.

Complainaing about it now won't do anything, because no BBC executive is going to think it excessive at this point, so it'll be ignored. Save it for if the coverage is still massive in the next few days and it might actually be paid attention to.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The joys of the 21st Century is if you don't like it you don't have to watch it...there is Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, all Prince Philip free zones. Sky Sports has round the clock coverage from Augusta. Etc etc etc.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Funny. I was talking with my Pakistani colleagues two days ago about the status of COVID there. The Kent variant is widespread there 'because of all the British Pakistanis who came back to Pakistan to avoid lockdown in the UK'.
    People who country hop to avoid restrictions are just the worst.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Since it's a quiet news day, I very much recommend this article, on the quest for an effective anti-viral drug that could be used to treat Covid infection (in contrast to treatments such as dexamethasone, which don't do anything about the infection itself but are useful in reducing the inflammatory over-reaction by the immune system):

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/09/scientists-work-toward-an-elusive-dream-a-simple-pill-to-treat-covid-19/

Bottom line: Some possible contenders coming, but success is far from guaranteed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He’s still alive. It’s not that long ago that nobody thought he’d be leaving hospital.

I met him once, at a small audience talk he gave about his spinning days with New Labour. He was a very entertaining speaker, but came across (as he was well self aware) as someone without any scruples whatsoever, and he had some great stories to tell, although sadly none that have stuck in the memory after so many years.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    kle4 said:

While it’s understandable that some will want 24 hour coverage, and therefore right that Radio 4/5 clear their schedules, taking everything else off air on all its channels is ridiculous. It’s at times like this that Radio 3 would normally provide a refuge of sanity and normality. I want it back asap.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    That's a relief. It is now permitted to think about things we were previously proscribed from thinking about!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56682226
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

kle4 said:

While it’s understandable that some will want 24 hour coverage, and therefore right that Radio 4/5 clear their schedules, taking everything else off air on all its channels is ridiculous. It’s at times like this that Radio 3 would normally provide a refuge of sanity and normality. I want it back asap.
    You've still got classic FM and Scala - granted neither offer the same sound quality (bitrate) and are populist but needs must...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

People who country hop to avoid restrictions are just the worst.
    Friend of mine went on official assignment to Syria and Iraq a few weeks ago - he works in security for media. He called me from America the other day, where he flew after the job was done

Once you get off Plague Island, everything is much easier. I can see why people are tempted, tho I agree it is a Bad Thing (my friend was completely legit)
  • Options
    TimT said:

The classic lots of British celebs have done, January claimed they were moving to Dubai to live there, then all of a sudden magically now returned via somewhere like a week in Mauritius so don't have to quarantine.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You act like you've never seen a story about a famous person before. It's going to be days of coverage. When the Queen dies it'll be weeks.

Complainaing about it now won't do anything, because no BBC executive is going to think it excessive at this point, so it'll be ignored. Save it for if the coverage is still massive in the next few days and it might actually be paid attention to.
    It normally takes about 2 cycles with outsourced minions patting you on the head to get to the BBC anyway.

By then they will have stopped.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    eek said:

kle4 said:

You've still got classic FM and Scala - granted neither offer the same sound quality (bitrate) and are populist but needs must...
    Classic FM is utterly intolerable.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I met him once, at a small audience talk he gave about his spinning days with New Labour. He was a very entertaining speaker, but came across (as he was well self aware) as someone without any scruples whatsoever, and he had some great stories to tell, although sadly none that have stuck in the memory after so many years.
    I think he is one of those who took well to Gammonhood, and improved with age.

Hope his nickname is still Dolly.

The "Kate Garraway's Husband" was a belly-laugh - I thought that was suppposed to be un-BBC.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    OT but I really recommend this thread from the FT

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1380512731456016385
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited April 2021
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

That's an excellent photo. A reminder that he really earned those medals, fighting the Nazis

Prince Edward is not going to look quite the same

A good reddit discussion of his wartime combat. Proper valour:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/69xqv6/did_the_duke_of_edinburgh_really_fight_in_ww2_or/

I once met Philip at an opening linked to the BBC. His manner struck me as a mixture of hearty and deliberately provocative retired air commodore, and a much less typical, quite warm bluntness, which I think was more linked to his love of his German-Greek mother and her milieu, as mentioned in the previous thread.
    As I have mentioned before, in 2012 I was his designated escort during HMQ’S royal visit to our Borough.

His technique for engaging with the crowd during his walkabout was to zero in on anyone of an ethnic appearance and ask them where they came from. He then followed up with an anecdote about his long past visit to their nation of origin, then moved on to the next person. Which was all going swimmingly until he goes up to a guy in the crowd wearing a turban and asks “and when did you come here?”, only to get the answer “at nine o’clock this morning, sir”, to which he had no response.

Given his known interest in science, an exhibition of 3-D printing has been laid on for him by students of the local technical college. Sadly his only comment on this was that the printers were producing “more junk than nobody wants”.

Our plan had been carefully choreographed and timetabled such that my escorting him and the Tory leader accompanying HMQ would both arrive at the designated spot at H-hour, whereupon HMQ would unveil a plaque and then they’d be whisked away to their next engagement. Holding HRH Philip back such that we didn’t arrive early was a real challenge, but one that I rose to and accomplished almost to the second. Only to find that when we both reached the designated spot, the Tory leader had failed with HMQ and she’d already done the opening and was on the way to the car. “She’s done it already and buggered off!”, exclaims Philip.

He was good company. I got the impression he had reached a point in life where he felt he’d seen everything that such visits could throw at him, and concentrated on entertaining himself by extracting what amusement he could from proceedings. Which, in your 90s, isn’t unreasonable. RIP.
    This is my own anecdote of the man (indirect).

In a previous job, it behooved me to have a tour of Heathrow Terminal 5 before it opened. The man giving it commented that the previous month he'd given HRH a tour. Not only had Phillip hung onto his every word, and stayed longer than scheduled, but he'd asked for and received a second tour where he'd asked even more penetrating questions.

Clearly passionate about technology and a great loss to the country, though obviously a decent innings.

RIP
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

There is this thing called the "internet" which now provides quite a lot of variety, if you explore it

Tho I picture you furiously hunched by your Bakelite Wireless, counting the seconds of unnecessary broadcasting
    Grand National goes ahead

Thank God the BBC do not have exclusive coverage
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Jockeys are wearing black arm bands. Prince Philip was a member of the Jockey Club.

I wonder if it'll be like the Glasgow Subway that stayed in mourning for Queen Victoria for about eighty years.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

That's an excellent photo. A reminder that he really earned those medals, fighting the Nazis

Prince Edward is not going to look quite the same

A good reddit discussion of his wartime combat. Proper valour:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/69xqv6/did_the_duke_of_edinburgh_really_fight_in_ww2_or/

I once met Philip at an opening linked to the BBC. His manner struck me as a mixture of hearty and deliberately provocative retired air commodore, and a much less typical, quite warm bluntness, which I think was more linked to his love of his German-Greek mother and her milieu, as mentioned in the previous thread.
    As I have mentioned before, in 2012 I was his designated escort during HMQ’S royal visit to our Borough.

His technique for engaging with the crowd during his walkabout was to zero in on anyone of an ethnic appearance and ask them where they came from. He then followed up with an anecdote about his long past visit to their nation of origin, then moved on to the next person. Which was all going swimmingly until he goes up to a guy in the crowd wearing a turban and asks “and when did you come here?”, only to get the answer “at nine o’clock this morning, sir”, to which he had no response.

Given his known interest in science, an exhibition of 3-D printing has been laid on for him by students of the local technical college. Sadly his only comment on this was that the printers were producing “more junk than nobody wants”.

Our plan had been carefully choreographed and timetabled such that my escorting him and the Tory leader accompanying HMQ would both arrive at the designated spot at H-hour, whereupon HMQ would unveil a plaque and then they’d be whisked away to their next engagement. Holding HRH Philip back such that we didn’t arrive early was a real challenge, but one that I rose to and accomplished almost to the second. Only to find that when we both reached the designated spot, the Tory leader had failed with HMQ and she’d already done the opening and was on the way to the car. “She’s done it already and buggered off!”, exclaims Philip.

He was good company. I got the impression he had reached a point in life where he felt he’d seen everything that such visits could throw at him, and concentrated on entertaining himself by extracting what amusement he could from proceedings. Which, in your 90s, isn’t unreasonable. RIP.
    This is my own anecdote of the man (indirect).

In a previous job, it behooved me to have a tour of Heathrow Terminal 5 before it opened. The man giving it commented that the previous month he'd given HRH a tour. Not only had Phillip hung onto his every word, and stayed longer than scheduled, but he'd asked for and received a second tour where he'd asked even more penetrating questions.

Clearly passionate about technology and a great loss to the country, though obviously a decent innings.

RIP
    If The Crown is accurate (and it seems to be) he was a genuine dude, albeit a bit of a lad at the same time. A life like no one else, a life that is impossible now

OK enough royal maunderings. To the flint-mines...

Later
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I remember him gate-crashing an early Political Betting party held at the National Liberal Club (those were the days...). I do hope he continues to recover, it sounds absolutely ghastly.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Some good info on vaccine eeffect on cases/deaths, and on differences where rollouts began with lockdown measures already having an effect vs where cases were surging at the same time.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

kle4 said:

I find it odd that the Beeb appear to have just stopped the cricket commentaries. Presumably 'as a mark of respect' or similar - but it is an internet only stream of matches which are continuing and at which there are commentators who will be there anyway as they file match reports.
  • Options
    Actually, one more comment

For balance, here is a journalist - who often loses his rag - actually expressing it all very succinctly, and sensitively. Well played

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    2h
    God. Imagine having to live without someone after being married to them for 74 years. I can't even begin to comprehend it.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1380478236728172545?s=20
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Watch netflix. Not The Crown.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    DavidL said:

And its snowing again. This is getting tedious.

Sunny in iilford North again - no snow since Feb.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

State Memorial Service in July?
  • Options
    Channel 5 have even cancelled neighbours but Sky Sport is broadcasting live from the Masters
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/celtjules66/status/1380490298674065411

Jesus Christ what is wrong with people!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I remember him gate-crashing an early Political Betting party held at the National Liberal Club (those were the days...). I do hope he continues to recover, it sounds absolutely ghastly.
    I think there have been suggestions that the vaccines relieve some long COVID symptoms so maybe there is some hope. I wish there was more awareness of these sort of consequences among those blasé about the virus.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Grand National goes ahead

Thank God the BBC do not have exclusive coverage
    Any tips? I'm on Any Second Now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Which BBC Radio Music Channel do you recommend?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Jockeys are wearing black arm bands. Prince Philip was a member of the Jockey Club.

I wonder if it'll be like the Glasgow Subway that stayed in mourning for Queen Victoria for about eighty years.
    QCs have been wearing mourning for Queen Anne for 307 years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Possibly August, but yes, that would be my guess.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Why BBC?

There's a world outside of the BBC didn't you know?

Cancel the licence fee and move on. 😉
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I do get people who want to, for some reason, loudly proclaim how much they don't care for this story, or how much attention it gets. I get people who care deeply about Palestine (or say they do anyway).

What I will never understand is why there are people who make everything about Palestine, so as to use the latter as their reason for complaining about the former.

What would be funny is if the Palestinian factions tweeted their commiserations about Phillip. See that tweeters head explode.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Frisson.

Like the other day when I mentioned to Leon that our bums had shared the same seat for vaccination he pretended not to be pleased at the thought.

And of course I played along and dropped it, not wishing to trifle with somebody's emotions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe even late Autumn

• Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I don't listen to the radio. Break out some CDs.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Thanx
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Listen to Spektre - Gates of Dawn on repeat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I know you are all olds on PB (so am I) but there are things called streaming music services now. Personally I recommend Spotify but I am biased as I work for them.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe even late Autumn

I would think they’ll prefer the summer if at all possible. And by August we should all be jabbed and protected so there shouldn’t be a major risk of viral resurgence.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe even late Autumn

All Covid restrictions are due to end in England on 21st June, so while it would be wrong to hold a funeral service with more than 30 people now given current funeral restrictions, it would also make a mockery of the supposed easing of the Covid lockdown timetable if a state memorial was held any later than July
  • Options

kle4 said:

The joys of the 21st Century is if you don't like it you don't have to watch it...there is Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, all Prince Philip free zones. Sky Sports has round the clock coverage from Augusta. Etc etc etc.
    Nah, John is right on this. Carpeting all the BBC channels with the same stream is beyond ridiculous. I often listen to Radio 3 on Friday evenings when cooking. I dare say I won't have that option tonight.

It should be Beeb 1 only.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I know you are all olds on PB (so am I) but there are things called streaming music services now. Personally I recommend Spotify but I am biased as I work for them.
    I figured the need to be online and thus potential for contamination from royal news stories ("listen to our official prince philip playlist") required more drastic solutions.

And I'm not old until next year when I cross over into the 35-54 demographic!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe even late Autumn

All restrictions are due to end in England by 21st June, so while it would be wrong to hold a funeral service with more than 30 now given current funeral restrictions, it would also make a mockery of the supposed easing of the Covid lockdown timetable if a state memorial was held any later than July
    To be honest why would it be held in the summer

There is no hurry and Autumn would give time for all the arrangements to be put in hand

• Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Frisson.

Like the other day when I mentioned to Leon that our bums had shared the same seat for vaccination he pretended not to be pleased at the thought.

And of course I played along and dropped it, not wishing to trifle with somebody's emotions.
    OK fair play, that made me chuckle

For an idiot , semi-derelict Yorkshire lefty, you are sometimes pretty good with words. Excellent use of "trifle"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

QCs have been wearing mourning for Queen Anne for 307 years.
    But there are additional garbs called weepers which you basically look like additional sleeves back over your jacket sleeves which can be used to wipe away your tears when the full blacks is just not ostentatious enough. One of my friends was considering popping down to Ede & Ravenscroft to corner the market before I pointed out it was shut.

Edit, you can sort of see them in this: https://sirhenrybrooke.me/2017/08/04/mourning-bands-and-weepers/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe even late Autumn

All restrictions are due to end in England by 21st June, so while it would be wrong to hold a funeral service with more than 30 now given current funeral restrictions, it would also make a mockery of the supposed easing of the Covid lockdown timetable if a state memorial was held any later than July

There is no hurry and Autumn would give time for all the arrangements to be put in hand

Plans are already in place and have been for years, all restrictions are due to end by July and in accordance with that timetable any state memorial should be held in July
  • Options
    Just checked and Heart are playing music.

Almost as if there exist stations outside of the BBC. Funny that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe even late Autumn

Plans are already in place and have been for years, all restrictions are due to end by July and in accordance with that timetable any state memorial should be held in July
    He may not get a state memorial, he might not have wanted one, even without Covid.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Off topic nominations have closed for the local elections in May and I am in a straight fight with an ex UKIP candidate for a town council by election seat as well as facing the LD incumbent at district level
  • Options
    "Tony Abbott
    @HonTonyAbbott

Vale His Royal Highness The Duke Of Edinburgh"

https://twitter.com/HonTonyAbbott/status/1380494574330671107
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe even late Autumn

I am perfectly relaxed when it takes place but I doubt it will be in peak holiday season
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kle4 said:

I do get people who want to, for some reason, loudly proclaim how much they don't care for this story, or how much attention it gets. I get people who care deeply about Palestine (or say they do anyway).

What I will never understand is why there are people who make everything about Palestine, so as to use the latter as their reason for complaining about the former.

What would be funny is if the Palestinian factions tweeted their commiserations about Phillip. See that tweeters head explode.
    What did the tweet say? All I get is This tweet in unavailable.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

It’s optional.
    Frisson.

He referenced an anal fixation earlier.
    Was clearly a Freudian slip.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    There is no mode other than "chaotic" at Islamabad airport. On a good day it is glorious pandemonium. Other days, rather more inglorious.

I remember a colleague telling me he was sat in the business lounge there, watching as a BA plane took off and idly musing "I didn't know BA had two flights today...."

They didn't. They had just forgotten to call the passengers in the lounge.
This discussion has been closed.