Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Former Welsh Secretary, Cheryl Gillam, dies after long illness – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,442

Boris playing politics with Sadiq Khan

Quite funny really

If you find that funny on a public health broadcast then that is very sad.
    No - its politics
    There will be Labour supporters in London who will have their fears about govts and vaccines enhanced, fewer people will take the vaccine as a result. It was completely inappropriate and unnecessary.
    It was a direct response to a London journalist about TFL

How you think it has anything to do with vaccine uptake is strange
    Lack of trust in the govt is one the key drivers of vaccine refusal.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Disgraceful from Johnson to use a public broadcast like this to be blatantly party political.

Rules, including those which are unwritten, are for other people, according to our current PM. I wonder if he'll end up in court!
    What unwritten rule is there not to answer the questions the journalists ask?

No party partisan remarks were made during the update itself but once questions are asked they're free game to be answered.

Nicola and Blair in his day and everyone else does exactly the same.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that the 5th increase in the Tory lead in a row since the vaccine bounce was declared officially over? :wink:
    Second pollster to have a double digit lead recently - not the best for the opposition.

Ed Miliband's Labour were up to 8 points ahead with some pollsters at this stage of the 2010-2015 electoral cycle
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 402
    RobD said:

Oh sorry the Global Travel Taskforce reporting date is 12 April, not 17 May.

Still why would anything be announced today when the report is being made on 12 April, which is a week today?

The Times this morning reported that Boris would announce details of the overseas travel traffic light scheme and apparently an update from the global travel task force has been published this evening, though I can’t find a link... the Times report includes actual quotes from the PM’s speech so they seem to have been briefed by No 10... from that, I’d conclude that the intention to talk about overseas travel was dropped for some reason...
    That doesn't sound like a promise.
    No, not a promise... though having checked, the expectation of an update today originates from the PM himself at the March 23rd briefing:

Johnson said: “A lot of people do want to know about what’s going to happen on the holiday front and I know there’s a great deal of curiosity and interest.

“All I can say is it’s just too early to say and my advice is to everybody to wait for the global travel task force to report.

“We’ve heard already that there are other European countries where the disease is now rising so things certainly look difficult for the time being but we will be able to say more we hope in a few days’ time, I certainly hope to say more by April 5.”

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/pm-hints-at-announcement-on-overseas-holidays-on-april-5
  • Boris playing politics with Sadiq Khan

Quite funny really

No - its politics
    There will be Labour supporters in London who will have their fears about govts and vaccines enhanced, fewer people will take the vaccine as a result. It was completely inappropriate and unnecessary.
    Because a question that was asked was answered? Should he not answer question.
    He should be capable of responding as prime minister of the whole country during a public health broadcast. He has plenty of opportunity to respond as leader of the Tory party at other times. Lives will be lost by those quips, the numbers will be very marginal but it is a pathetic disgrace and shows his complete disregard for standards of decency.
    I am sorry but with the greatest respect he was answering a question about London and TFL

He is a politician who accepted the open goal just as Sturgeon does frequently in her Scots covid press conferences

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729
    tlg86 said:

Oh dear, that is sad news.

On the by election, will someone will stand on a "stop HS2 platform" or has that ship sailed train departed? (obviously electing one MP on such grounds wouldn't make a difference, but it's a chance to become an MP for a few years).

According to what @eek has said, there might be mileage in somebody standing on a ‘holding to account’ ticket over road closures, disruption etc, but since it’s now being built I can’t see how anyone would stand on a ticket to *stop* it.

Heck, even Stop HS2 have chucked in the towel and Rukin has buggered off somewhere else.

Quite funny really

No - its politics

Have you a reference point for that
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Just gradually catching up on the press conference - I'm a little behind and being distracted by other things anyway. Just heard Johnson wriggling like an eel in response to Beth Rigby's straightforward questioning on life after June 21st. Clearly the plan is to ignore the success or otherwise of the vaccine rollout and to force these wretched ID cards on us anyway.

I don't see how anyone listening to the Prime Minister's response can credibly claim that the last step of the road map means anything. We're not going to be let go to get on with our lives, we're going to be chained by officialdom - indefinitely it would appear.

You are making the same mistake Boris accused a journalist of

You are taking all your fences at once
    I am prepared to wait for the Government to plod through its steps to liberation. What we shouldn't be expected to put up with is restrictions forever based on flimsy, pathetic excuses.

If the disease is rampant in June then fine, keep giving it a good kick, but if it is crushed then there is no excuse for any of this rubbish to continue.
    The polls show all the people that Boris needs to be on board are. Absolutely. People like us who want our freedom back with no strings attached are a small minority. There is no getting away from that.

Yet look at the responses to Michael Gove's article in the Telegraph. All the most upvoted comments were the most vehemently critical of Gove's suggestions.

The same is true in the Mail, except the numbers are much bigger because there are more readers.

Is something weird going on? who knows, but the locals, real elections, may tell us more.
    Have you heard of the concept of a vocal minority before? I'm part of that vocal minority, but generally people don't feel the need to get engaged if something they agree with is happening; they shrug their shoulders and think 'get over it'.
  • I didn't realise this site was BigGPoliticalBetting
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    “International travel may start again on 17th May, although the limiting factor is the risk of importing virus variants”. Meanwhile 1000s of people from abroad are coming in every day on tourist visas.

Who can explain that?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Quite funny really

BJ corrupts all he touches.
    Sounds a bit like the SNP then

RobD said:

Still why would anything be announced today when the report is being made on 12 April, which is a week today?

The Times this morning reported that Boris would announce details of the overseas travel traffic light scheme and apparently an update from the global travel task force has been published this evening, though I can’t find a link... the Times report includes actual quotes from the PM’s speech so they seem to have been briefed by No 10... from that, I’d conclude that the intention to talk about overseas travel was dropped for some reason...
    No, not a promise... though having checked, the expectation of an update today originates from the PM himself at the March 23rd briefing:

Johnson said: “A lot of people do want to know about what’s going to happen on the holiday front and I know there’s a great deal of curiosity and interest.

“All I can say is it’s just too early to say and my advice is to everybody to wait for the global travel task force to report.

“We’ve heard already that there are other European countries where the disease is now rising so things certainly look difficult for the time being but we will be able to say more we hope in a few days’ time, I certainly hope to say more by April 5.”

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/pm-hints-at-announcement-on-overseas-holidays-on-april-5
    So he said then to wait for the global travel task force to report. Since then it's been announced that report is coming on 12 April. That's not today.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    edited April 2021
    isam said:

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that the 5th increase in the Tory lead in a row since the vaccine bounce was declared officially over? :wink:
    Second pollster to have a double digit lead recently - not the best for the opposition.

Ed Miliband's Labour were up to 8 points ahead with some pollsters at this stage of the 2010-2015 electoral cycle
    Yes but UKIP were polling higher at this stage in 2010-2015, most UKIP voters then are now voting for Boris Johnson's Tory Party and the Greens are also taking some Labour votes.

The SNP surge from Labour also did not really take place until after the 2014 referendum
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Quite funny really

No - its politics
    I mean that's fine but you've also been complaining about Nicola Sturgeon using her daily press conference as an SNP party broadcast.

Quite funny really

No - its politics

"Out of the 700 Londoners polled online between 19 October and 2 November, almost half of those who would not or might not get a vaccine (47.5%) said that they either did not trust government guidance or did not trust drug companies. "

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/assembly/quarter-of-londoners-dont-want-a-covid-19-vaccine
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Just gradually catching up on the press conference - I'm a little behind and being distracted by other things anyway. Just heard Johnson wriggling like an eel in response to Beth Rigby's straightforward questioning on life after June 21st. Clearly the plan is to ignore the success or otherwise of the vaccine rollout and to force these wretched ID cards on us anyway.

I don't see how anyone listening to the Prime Minister's response can credibly claim that the last step of the road map means anything. We're not going to be let go to get on with our lives, we're going to be chained by officialdom - indefinitely it would appear.

I am prepared to wait for the Government to plod through its steps to liberation. What we shouldn't be expected to put up with is restrictions forever based on flimsy, pathetic excuses.

If the disease is rampant in June then fine, keep giving it a good kick, but if it is crushed then there is no excuse for any of this rubbish to continue.
    The polls show all the people that Boris needs to be on board are. Absolutely. People like us who want our freedom back with no strings attached are a small minority. There is no getting away from that.

Yet look at the responses to Michael Gove's article in the Telegraph. All the most upvoted comments were the most vehemently critical of Gove's suggestions.

The same is true in the Mail, except the numbers are much bigger because there are more readers.

Is something weird going on? who knows, but the locals, real elections, may tell us more.
    It's a minority of very engaged people getting angry. My guess would be that most folk are (a) apathetic, (b) so desperate to be let out of their cages that they'll agree to anything in exchange, or (c) are authoritarian (and deeply frightened) older people who welcome any number of restrictions, and would indeed cheer if we stayed in something closely resembling lockdown for the rest of time.

Unless a mass of people in the first two groups get sick of masks and social distancing and vaccine passports then we may be stuck with elements of all three indefinitely - and even then we may not get our lives back, I'm afraid. Half of the active electorate is now over 55 and they break very strongly for the Conservatives.
  • I don't disagree. But there's certainly a meme which casts doubt on her commitment. Actually, I don't think her commitment is in doubt, it's just that the economic case is such a slam dunk against Indy, that it would be very challenging to lead a successful campaign and be honest about the deficit, currency, pensions, mortgage risk, capital flight etc etc. You can see the attraction of just making a noise about Indy while presiding queen-like at Bute House.

Sturgeon's behaviour re indy makes quite a lot of sense if you assume she still believes in the cause, just not as much as she believes in Nicola Sturgeon being FM. As you say, the economic case for indy is dreadful. Best case is severe and lengthy damage to the economy, worst case is Scotland becoming something close to a failed state for several years. Also brexit has, as many posters here have pointed out, ironically made the risks of independence even greater.

Why plunge into the political log-shredder that is indy, when she can just dodge the risk by making loud noises about it, safe in the knowledge Boris will always say no.

Salmond has thrown a spanner into that plan, though. He is very much a true believer, willing to force Scotland to pay any price to secure independence.

kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    Given the increasingly threadbare economic case for Scexit, which I think would be amplified by a referendum campaign if managed properly, I almost wondering if Boris might go along with the demand for one.

I don't think so, but you do wonder sometimes.

I should say, this is why I think the Salmondites have their doubts about Sturgeon's commitment. They wonder if she really would be prepared to argue black is white during a campaign. I think she would but, obviously, Eck knows her better than I do.
    I am at the point that Boris should let Holyrood settle down with Sturgeon v Salmond v Galloway box office civil war and then let the HOC have a free vote on a section 30 request

If a referendum follows I am quite relaxed about the outcome but I have to say as someone who loves Scotland it is not a happy place with so much hate, divisions and rancour
    Oh no, is Galloway going to get a seat? Poor Holyrood. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    I hae ma doots, a single poll with suspect/untested methodology doesn't really do it for me. I'd be looking for 3/1 or better
    It is more than possible
    Yeah, well anything's possible, even Douglas Ross becoming FM.

Ok, not that.
    Douglas Ross will not be FM and he is not helping the Scons

Very poor just like RT Davies in Wales
    RT is leading the Welsh Tories to their best result since devolution in 1999, Ross is doing about the same as Davidson did in 2016
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2021
    Can somebody take Death Rigby off the telly.....the woman is an absolute moron.

Her question about Chile and vaccinations...FFS.
  • MaxPB said:

Quite funny really

No - its politics
    I mean that's fine but you've also been complaining about Nicola Sturgeon using her daily press conference as an SNP party broadcast.
    And so she has and in this case Boris was responding to a specific question from a London journalist about TFL, so he took a political opportunity which most politicians would have seized
  • HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    Given the increasingly threadbare economic case for Scexit, which I think would be amplified by a referendum campaign if managed properly, I almost wondering if Boris might go along with the demand for one.

I should say, this is why I think the Salmondites have their doubts about Sturgeon's commitment. They wonder if she really would be prepared to argue black is white during a campaign. I think she would but, obviously, Eck knows her better than I do.
    I am at the point that Boris should let Holyrood settle down with Sturgeon v Salmond v Galloway box office civil war and then let the HOC have a free vote on a section 30 request

If a referendum follows I am quite relaxed about the outcome but I have to say as someone who loves Scotland it is not a happy place with so much hate, divisions and rancour
    Oh no, is Galloway going to get a seat? Poor Holyrood. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    I hae ma doots, a single poll with suspect/untested methodology doesn't really do it for me. I'd be looking for 3/1 or better
    It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is leading the Welsh Tories to their best result since devolution in 1999, Ross is doing about the same as Davidson did in 2016
    RT is not leading the Welsh Tories to their best result, it is Boris as has been confirmed separately to you by other Welsh posters

RT is an embarrassment
    edited April 2021
    Floater said:
    The media just veer from one extreme to the other...lock us down yesterday, absolute full metal lockdown, anything less is not acceptable....tell us to the hour when we can go on holiday, it is totally unfair there are any restrictions on my life.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Because the government had been trailing to the media that they would
    MaxPB said:

Quite funny really

No - its politics
    Isn't that an irregular verb?
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is not leading the Welsh Tories to their best result, it is Boris as has been confirmed separately to you by other Welsh posters

RT is an embarrassment
    He is the Welsh Tories leader in the Senedd, if as the latest polls show the Welsh Conservatives get up to 30% on election day it will be RT who will get the best Tory result in GB on May 6th, even as the Tories lose badly in London, lose some seats in the county council elections and tread water in Scotland
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    So it seems pretty clear the government have no idea how this all ends, right? Vaccinations might have been the way out but they don't seem to have the faith in that statement any more.

Quite funny really

No - its politics

"Out of the 700 Londoners polled online between 19 October and 2 November, almost half of those who would not or might not get a vaccine (47.5%) said that they either did not trust government guidance or did not trust drug companies. "

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/assembly/quarter-of-londoners-dont-want-a-covid-19-vaccine
    So about 166 Londoners on that online poll may not trust HMG on vaccination
    RobD said:

The way the government trails stuff days in advance to the media sometimes comes back to bite them.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Why do people on here watch the Q&A? The chances of a journalist asking a sensible/interesting question are slim and the chances of the PM/scientist giving a truthful/useful answer to such a question even slimmer.
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

Yes but UKIP were polling higher at this stage in 2010-2015, most UKIP voters then are now voting for Boris Johnson's Tory Party and the Greens are also taking some Labour votes.

The SNP surge from Labour also did not really take place until after the 2014 referendum
    UKIP were polling about 6%, but in the 8% lead poll it was

41% Lab
    33% Con
    10% LD
    7% UKIP
    2% Green
    8% Others

So the main two parties vote share is exactly the same as the latest poll, and I would have thought the 8% Others was mainly SNP to be honest
    alex_ said:

“International travel may start again on 17th May, although the limiting factor is the risk of importing virus variants”. Meanwhile 1000s of people from abroad are coming in every day on tourist visas.

Who can explain that?

Countries generally are keener on welcoming visitors than in having their citizens going off abroad. Cant imagine why.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

So it seems pretty clear the government have no idea how this all ends, right? Vaccinations might have been the way out but they don't seem to have the faith in that statement any more.

I wish they would be more transparent about this.

If the vaccines are as effective as they appear, we have nothing to worry about once 80%+ of the population is vaccinated.

If there's a vaccine-avoiding variant then we simply face another lockdown in the future. Vaccine passports wont stop it so I'd rather enjoy life as much as possible now before that point.

It does feel like the government are suffering from Stockholm syndrome. I don't think the vaccine passport business is ID cards by the backdoor, more that the government has "been on a journey". I think they are genuinely worried about a lot people from ethnic minorities dying from COVID whilst the rest of the country gets on with life. "Why haven't you done more?" will be the howls from Labour.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment
    He is the Welsh Tories leader in the Senedd, if as the latest polls show the Welsh Conservatives get up to 30% on election day it will be RT who will get the best Tory result in GB on May 6th, even as the Tories lose badly in London, lose some seats in the county council elections and tread water in Scotland
    You do not live in Wales and argue against those of us who do and we affirm he is an embarrassment

Try to find any Welsh poster on here who will agree with you

But then you cannot ever admit you are wrong so carry on with your delusions

Quite funny really

No - its politics

Eh? It is less than that within the poll itself, but the point of polling is to help us to extrapolate to the wider population. Anyway if you think it is funny that more people will refuse the vaccine because the PM wants to make a party political point against an elected leader who will get around 50% of the vote, so be it. I'm out.
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

41% Lab
    33% Con
    10% LD
    7% UKIP
    2% Green
    8% Others

So the main two parties vote share is exactly the same as the latest poll, and I would have thought the 8% Others was mainly SNP to be honest
    RefUK are on 2% today and UKIP not even registering, so most of that 7% UKIP vote is now voting Tory.

The Greens are on 5%, up 3% from then at Labour's expense and the SNP are on 4% now and barely registering then also at Labour's expense.

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1379101639227887620?s=20
    BREAKING: Bonfire spreads out of control in Totland
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

41% Lab
    33% Con
    10% LD
    7% UKIP
    2% Green
    8% Others

RefUK are on 2% today and UKIP not even registering, so most of that 7% UKIP vote is now voting Tory.

The Greens are on 5%, up 3% from then at Labour's expense and the SNP are on 4% now and barely registering then also at Labour's expense.

Which parties made up the 8% "others" if the SNP were barely registering?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited April 2021
    Sorry to hear this news. She appeared on the second day of the BBC's 1992 election coverage at about 2 hours, 31 mins, 20 secs. She'd just been elected for the first time in Chesham & Amersham.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JE8kwL-ew

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment
    You do not live in Wales and argue against those of us who do and we affirm he is an embarrassment

You have an agenda against RT, that is clear, well tough on May 6th 2021 the history books will show RT will lead the Welsh Conservatives to their best ever result in the Welsh Parliament, he will go down as the greatest Welsh Conservative leader ever!!

Quite funny really

No - its politics

Eh? It is less than that within the poll itself, but the point of polling is to help us to extrapolate to the wider population. Anyway if you think it is funny that more people will refuse the vaccine because the PM wants to make a party political point against an elected leader who will get around 50% of the vote, so be it. I'm out.
    I did not say it was funny

I said Boris taking a political opportunity was funny and the outrage in some quarters is way over the top
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Once I have my second vaccination I am getting on with my life. The government can get stuffed.
    Here's a scenario.

80%+ of adults get vaccinated, we unlock the economy, and the virus stays suppressed. Happy days.

In September along comes a vaccine-avoiding variant and a new vaccine gets released. At that point the vaccine passport/certification is essentially acting as an age-based lockdown. If you're young and not yet vaccinated, you're in lockdown, but if you're old and have had your booster, you can do what you like.

Is that what people want?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

I wish they would be more transparent about this.

If the vaccines are as effective as they appear, we have nothing to worry about once 80%+ of the population is vaccinated.

If there's a vaccine-avoiding variant then we simply face another lockdown in the future. Vaccine passports wont stop it so I'd rather enjoy life as much as possible now before that point.
    It's just constant moving of the goalposts.

Beginning to wonder whether Julia 'this ends when we say it ends' Hartley-Brewer doesn't have a point.
  • OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 168
    Summary of today's press conference: normal life as we used to know it, isn't coming back anytime soon, and not on 21 June either. Will be interesting to see how it affects public opinion when that sinks in.
    edited April 2021

Here's a scenario.

80%+ of adults get vaccinated, we unlock the economy, and the virus stays suppressed. Happy days.

In September along comes a vaccine-avoiding variant and a new vaccine gets released. At that point the vaccine passport/certification is essentially acting as an age-based lockdown. If you're young and not yet vaccinated, you're in lockdown, but if you're old and have had your booster, you can do what you like.

We'd be prioritizing the economy over fairness, but at least there would be some logic to it.

EDIT: but as @rcs1000 would point out, the chances of the current vaccines having no effect against a new variant are very low. So any decision on this would be far more nuanced than what we had this time last year.
    edited April 2021

Quite funny really

No - its politics

I don't think it's funny, I think you're bullshitting.

He was asked a personal, partisan political question on how he as former Mayor of London would answer a local question. It had sod all to do with vaccines. He answered the personal, political, partisan question in a personal, political, partisan manner. As would any politician in the history of time.

The statement he made is not the time for partisan remarks (though it doesn't stop Sturgeon) but once you open the floor to the journalists it's free game. The journalists questions aren't vetted to ensure they're on topic and appropriate, if they were not many would make the cut!

The amount of people who will refuse the vaccine because of how he answered a question is pretty much exactly zero.
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

41% Lab
    33% Con
    10% LD
    7% UKIP
    2% Green
    8% Others

Which parties made up the 8% "others" if the SNP were barely registering?
    The ANgus Reid link is deceased, but either side of that poll the SNP were polling 4% and 5% with Opinium and ICM, so the same/better as now
    One piece of good news I just noticed from the dashboard map: Leicester is down below 100 cases per week per 100,000 people, for the first time since about 1872. Or it seems like it, anyway. The two most diseased local authority areas on the map are currently the recently defunct borough of Corby, and Clackmannanshire - which are both unusually small and therefore given to generating volatile numbers.

The imbuggerance isn't going away, but the remaining stubborn loci of infection do seem to be gradually shrinking. Now we'll just have to see whether that survives the schools coming back.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    tlg86 said:

Why do people on here watch the Q&A? The chances of a journalist asking a sensible/interesting question are slim and the chances of the PM/scientist giving a truthful/useful answer to such a question even slimmer.

If you don't watch the Q&A (I haven't) you can't fill in the blanks when someone says how disgraceful Boris has been (Noneoftheabove), or not (BigG). Other than that.
    OldBasing said:

Summary of today's press conference: normal life as we used to know it, isn't coming back anytime soon, and not on 21 June either. Will be interesting to see how it affects public opinion when that sinks in.

It just screams of over-promising again. Why on earth would you trail "all restrictions will be removed on 21st June, assuming the data supports it" and then reverse ferret even though the data is more positive than we could have possibly imagined?

Here's a scenario.

Why can't almost everyone be vaccinated by the end of the summer?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

You have an agenda against RT, that is clear, well tough on May 6th 2021 the history books will show RT will lead the Welsh Conservatives to their best ever result in the Welsh Parliament, he will go down as the greatest Welsh Conservative leader ever!!
    I want a Welsh conservative leader that appeals to voters and is not an embarrassment to those of us who are party members

It will be Boris vaccine success that wins it for the conservatives, if they do win, than anything RT has said or done and that is what will be remembered
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    The time is now,
    The day is here...

One day more,
    One day more to revolution,
    We will NIP it in the bud...

OldBasing said:

It just screams of over-promising again. Why on earth would you trail "all restrictions will be removed on 21st June, assuming the data supports it" and then reverse ferret even though the data is more positive than we could have possibly imagined?
    Either (a) it was a lie, (b) they don't know what they're doing, or (c) some combination of the two.

It's probably (c), isn't it?
    Andy_JS said:

Here's a scenario.

Why can't almost everyone be vaccinated by the end of the summer?
    Eh? They can be, but that isn't what this scenario is about. It's about variation busting boosters.
    Public Service Announcement: A big worry for dog owners is the long-term impact of lockdown on their ability to cope with being left at home on their own. Dogs who had separation anxiety before the lockdown are likely to get worse when left again as owners head back to work – but we also expect to see new cases developing, because other dogs, and particularly puppies, have learned to expect company all day.

One of the biggest reasons why dogs are rehomed is because of behaviour-related issues. A rise in problematic behaviours after lockdown could mean families have no other option but to give up their dog. And, really sadly, most of these problems can be prevented with the right early experiences.

Our message to owners is to start preparing now, rather than waiting until things return more to normal. It’s easy to do: start building up experiences of all the things we will expect them to do once the lockdown eases.
    "Covid passports are authoritarian, illogical, vile
    A whole new architecture of state surveillance is being introduced under the guise of ‘safety’

TIM STANLEY"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/05/covid-passports-authoritarian-illogical-vile/
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840

I don't disagree. But there's certainly a meme which casts doubt on her commitment. Actually, I don't think her commitment is in doubt, it's just that the economic case is such a slam dunk against Indy, that it would be very challenging to lead a successful campaign and be honest about the deficit, currency, pensions, mortgage risk, capital flight etc etc. You can see the attraction of just making a noise about Indy while presiding queen-like at Bute House.

Sturgeon's behaviour re indy makes quite a lot of sense if you assume she still believes in the cause, just not as much as she believes in Nicola Sturgeon being FM. As you say, the economic case for indy is dreadful. Best case is severe and lengthy damage to the economy, worst case is Scotland becoming something close to a failed state for several years. Also brexit has, as many posters here have pointed out, ironically made the risks of independence even greater.

Why plunge into the political log-shredder that is indy, when she can just dodge the risk by making loud noises about it, safe in the knowledge Boris will always say no.

Salmond has thrown a spanner into that plan, though. He is very much a true believer, willing to force Scotland to pay any price to secure independence.
    But this is projecting into her head and making cynical and credible assumptions rather than pointing to anything big and specific she ought to have done to promote Sindy that she hasn't done.

If she wins a mandate for Sindy in May and then does not go all out for it, that's a different matter. But as of now I don't see the evidence for the charge that she has lost interest in the cause and just wants to be FM.
  • IanB2 said:

Public Service Announcement: A big worry for dog owners is the long-term impact of lockdown on their ability to cope with being left at home on their own. Dogs who had separation anxiety before the lockdown are likely to get worse when left again as owners head back to work – but we also expect to see new cases developing, because other dogs, and particularly puppies, have learned to expect company all day.

One of the biggest reasons why dogs are rehomed is because of behaviour-related issues. A rise in problematic behaviours after lockdown could mean families have no other option but to give up their dog. And, really sadly, most of these problems can be prevented with the right early experiences.

Our message to owners is to start preparing now, rather than waiting until things return more to normal. It’s easy to do: start building up experiences of all the things we will expect them to do once the lockdown eases.

Very good post
    Cyclefree said:

Once I have my second vaccination I am getting on with my life. The government can get stuffed.
    I plan to at least attempt to do likewise, once I finally get my first and I've given it time to work. Though God alone knows what century that's meant to be happening in. This feels like it is taking for-bloody-ever.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

The way the government trails stuff days in advance to the media sometimes comes back to bite them.
    Perhaps, but it was never promised.
    The mayor of London is to launch a review examining the feasibility of decriminalising cannabis as part of a new approach to tackling drug-related crime.

Should he be re-elected on 6 May, Sadiq Khan said he would set up an independent London drugs commission to examine the potential health, economic and criminal justice benefits of decriminalising the class-B drug.
    IanB2 said:

Do you have a link to the quotation?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

I want a Welsh conservative leader that appeals to voters and is not an embarrassment to those of us who are party members

It will be Boris vaccine success that wins it for the conservatives, if they do win, than anything RT has said or done and that is what will be remembered
    He obviously is appealing to voters, he is leading the Welsh Tories to 30% of the vote in Wales, something none of his predecessors, Rod Richards or Nick Bourne, ever got close to achieving.

The history books will record RT therefore as the greatest Welsh Conservatives leader ever, there will be statues of him in Conservative clubs and Associations across Wales!!
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

I would like a UK Conservative leader that is "not an embarrassment to those of us who are (ex)party members". When the Tory party gets rid of the Clown then some of us may return. And before you say it, yes, yawn, he is riding high at the moment, but these are not normal times, and people are crediting him (rather than the others that should get the credit) for the vaccine rollout. The public will forget about the vaccine when they remember that he is actually a pillock.
  • IanB2 said:

The mayor of London is to launch a review examining the feasibility of decriminalising cannabis as part of a new approach to tackling drug-related crime.

Should he be re-elected on 6 May, Sadiq Khan said he would set up an independent London drugs commission to examine the potential health, economic and criminal justice benefits of decriminalising the class-B drug.

Sounds sensible
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 402

RobD said:

So he said then to wait for the global travel task force to report. Since then it's been announced that report is coming on 12 April. That's not today.
    From the same report:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has suggested that he may announce on April 5 whether holidays abroad this summer may be possible, a week ahead of the date the government’s Global Travel Taskforce is due to report.

I can’t see why you choose to make an issue of this. Boris himself said that an update would be given today, this morning’s press said he would. He didn’t. It’s not too important, other than expectations were raised. But to deny that today had been trailed as a possible update on travel just seems odd.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

Even compared with Geoffrey Howe and Michael Heseltine?

Or is your definition of "leader" and "Welsh" more restricted?

Cyclefree said:

I plan to at least attempt to do likewise, once I finally get my first and I've given it time to work. Though God alone knows what century that's meant to be happening in. This feels like it is taking for-bloody-ever.
    One of the reasons it's taking a while in this country is because of the massive demand. If you & I lived in Alabama, we'd both be jabbed.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742

The time is now,
    The day is here...

One day more,
    One day more to revolution,
    We will NIP it in the bud...
    Breaking, NIPs may not be out in Hartlepool!

https://twitter.com/Mage1319/status/1379121173615800324?s=20

RobD said:

From the same report:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has suggested that he may announce on April 5 whether holidays abroad this summer may be possible, a week ahead of the date the government’s Global Travel Taskforce is due to report.

I can’t see why you choose to make an issue of this. Boris himself said that an update would be given today, this morning’s press said he would. He didn’t. It’s not too important, other than expectations were raised. But to deny that today had been trailed as a possible update on travel just seems odd.
    The difference is there was a claim it was "promised" today. Which clearly wasn't the case, as you have clearly demonstrated.
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

One of the reasons it's taking a while in this country is because of the massive demand. If you & I lived in Alabama, we'd both be jabbed.
    Well down the list of consequences, if you and I lived in Alabama, tbf.

IanB2 said:

Sounds sensible
    Cannabis causes mental illness in many people. Not a good idea IMO.

RobD said:

From the same report:

Do you know the meaning of the word "may"?

"may" does not mean "would".
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Sounds sensible
    I have seen alcohol cause far more damage to people I know.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

He obviously is appealing to voters, he is leading the Welsh Tories to 30% of the vote in Wales, something none of his predecessors, Rod Richards or Nick Bourne, ever got close to achieving.

The history books will record RT therefore as the greatest Welsh Conservatives leader ever, there will be statues of him in Conservative clubs and Associations across Wales!!
    Aren't the only pictures/statues in Tory clubs allowed of the Queen and Thatcher ?

RobD said:

From the same report:

RobD said:

From the same report:

For example see this morning’s headline news stories on SKY.

It’s simply the clown doing his usual over-promising.

And Philip having his usual go at defending the indefensible.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

I would like a UK Conservative leader that is "not an embarrassment to those of us who are (ex)party members". When the Tory party gets rid of the Clown then some of us may return. And before you say it, yes, yawn, he is riding high at the moment, but these are not normal times, and people are crediting him (rather than the others that should get the credit) for the vaccine rollout. The public will forget about the vaccine when they remember that he is actually a pillock.
    I would like you to return and how long Boris remains in office is unknown but at present he seems to be charting a cautious and reasonable course out of covid and he will receive the credit for the vaccine rollout as he receives criticism for other aspects of his time in office

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

I'll happily wait months if it's because take-up among those ahead of me in the queue is excellent.

Mind you, I doubt the US will give too much of a **** about anti-vaxxers. They won't be locking down again.
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

From the same report:

RobD said:

From the same report:

If he is quoted as he "may announce" something, and the media report it as he will announce something, who is at fault?
    edited April 2021

OldBasing said:

I don't think over promise, before the weekend it was "sticking to the roadmap" stuff. Then there was all this leaking Monday is a biggie, yuggggggeee, 4 big announcements.

I think something has happened behind the scenes that has caused a U-Turn after all the weekend briefings...now that could be backbenchers saying they won't support certain parts of the plans or new scientific evidence that some things aren't as rosy as they hoped.
    OldBasing said:

It had better come back pretty soon, if the virus has mostly disappeared, which seems quite likely.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

It's a minority of very engaged people getting angry. My guess would be that most folk are (a) apathetic, (b) so desperate to be let out of their cages that they'll agree to anything in exchange, or (c) are authoritarian (and deeply frightened) older people who welcome any number of restrictions, and would indeed cheer if we stayed in something closely resembling lockdown for the rest of time.

Unless a mass of people in the first two groups get sick of masks and social distancing and vaccine passports then we may be stuck with elements of all three indefinitely - and even then we may not get our lives back, I'm afraid. Half of the active electorate is now over 55 and they break very strongly for the Conservatives.
    I looked at a copy of today and yesterday's Daily Telegraph.

Boy are they anti vaccine passport and pro unlocking.

Haven't seen the DM but the DT must account for a fair few Cons voters.
    IanB2 said:

I'm not sure how much owners can do though, short of going out and walking round a park in circles for eight hours. Because if you stay home and leave the animal shut in one room then chances are it will still be able to hear you, and that's not healthy regardless.

I'm sure I was reading something the other day about one of the animal rehoming charities in Scotland already being full to bursting with rejected pets, just from the results of people changing their minds and the very limited unlocking that has taken place so far.

In fact, I had a quick search, and here it is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56546206

This is inevitably going to get much, much worse as furlough unwinds - people starting to travel to work again and finding that they've not the time to look after animals that they did before, behavioural problems as you allude to, and more households having to dispose of pets as quite a lot of currently furloughed positions are judged surplus to requirements, and the newly unemployed find they can no longer afford to look after them.

We're going to end up with huge numbers of abandoned animals and not nearly enough shelters and rehoming opportunities to deal with all of them. It's not very hard to imagine what will happen to all those for which there is no room.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

As I said continue your delusions as you are very good at them

And by the way most Welsh voters will not have a clue who he is as he is rarely seen in the media

I doubt more than a handful of politically motivated could even name the leader of the Welsh Conservatives
    Blood type does NOT affect a person's risk of getting severe Covid, study finds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9437293/Blood-type-does-NOT-affect-risk-severe-Covid-study-finds.html
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

From the same report:

RobD said:

From the same report:

If he is quoted as he "may announce" something, and the media report it as he will announce something, who is at fault?
    Surely you're not that naive?
  • Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Sounds sensible
    An independent enquiry into is a reasonable response

OldBasing said:

I don't think over promise, before the weekend it was "sticking to the roadmap" stuff. Then there was all this leaking Monday is a biggie, yuggggggeee, 4 big announcements.

I think something has happened behind the scenes that has caused a U-Turn after all the weekend briefings...now that could be backbenchers saying they won't support certain parts of the plans or new scientific evidence that some things aren't as rosy as they hoped.
    Or it was the media overreacting.

Wouldn't be the first time. The media love to have a "big story" and "steady as she goes" doesn't sell air time/clicks.

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

From the same report:

RobD said:

From the same report:

Saying that you may be in a position to announce something by a certain date and not doing so is not breaking a promise.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

From the same report:

RobD said:

From the same report:

Saying that you may be in a position to announce something by a certain date and not doing so is not breaking a promise.
    Well obviously, but you can't be naive enough to believe that those stories were not leaked to the press on purpose over the weekend.

Blood type does NOT affect a person's risk of getting severe Covid, study finds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9437293/Blood-type-does-NOT-affect-risk-severe-Covid-study-finds.html

Damn, I was quite hopeful with my type O -ve blood.

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

From the same report:

RobD said:

From the same report:

Well obviously, but you can't be naive enough to believe that those stories were not leaked to the press on purpose over the weekend.
    How was it leaked? They have a direct quote from the PM!

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

Even compared with Geoffrey Howe and Michael Heseltine?

Or is your definition of "leader" and "Welsh" more restricted?
    They were UK Cabinet members, not Welsh Conservative leaders
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

It is more than possible

Ok, not that.

RT is an embarrassment

Aren't the only pictures/statues in Tory clubs allowed of the Queen and Thatcher ?
    Plus Boris of course
This discussion has been closed.