Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What does Salmond want and what will he achieve? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Morning folks

not sure if this has been mentioned yet but yesterday the German Constitutional Court blocked German ratification of the 750 billion Euro EU bailout plan. They are hearing arguments against German ratification and have blocked the plan until those hearings are completed.

https://www.ft.com/content/74841ea6-4fbf-4c7a-b015-66ba191ffc9b

So what do the EU do if Germany is not allowed to take part in the bailout? Where does the money come from and are they actually allowed to go ahead without German approval?

I'll believe it when I see the final judgement. The German constitutional court is the dog that never barks. People like to make these grandiose claims about how it will prevent something, somewhere within the EU but those judges always find some tortured logic as to why the EU has once again managed to thread the needle.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1374755456711856133
    No overall change I would say this week then, a modest Tory lead remains which is impressive for a Government over a decade old.

The Party tag might be the same, but the change from May to Boris felt like a wholesale change of government.
    It felt like it? It was!!!!

And the change from Cameron to May was another wholesale change.

And yet dear old HY turns up on here from time to time going on about the Conservative Party's being the most successful election-winning machine in history...... The only thing that is constant about it is the name.... and perhaps the unknown beneficiaries who lurk in its shadow.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    ClippP said:

No overall change I would say this week then, a modest Tory lead remains which is impressive for a Government over a decade old.

The Party tag might be the same, but the change from May to Boris felt like a wholesale change of government.

And yet dear old HY turns up on here from time to time going on about the Conservative Party's being the most successful election-winning machine in history...... The only thing that is constant about it is the name.... and perhaps the unknown beneficiaries who lurk in its shadow.
    Although that extraordinary talent for reinventing itself is of course a key reason *why* it is by a distance the most successful democratic party on the planet.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    “ Broja was born in Slough and could have joined the army of young talent knocking on Gareth Southgate's door. Instead, he's aiming to cause an upset in Tirana when England visit on Sunday.

'I went for it because I have got Albanian blood in me, I am Albanian, my parents are Albanian so it was an easy decision.“

https://twitter.com/mailsport/status/1375772120983166982?s=21
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Morning folks

not sure if this has been mentioned yet but yesterday the German Constitutional Court blocked German ratification of the 750 billion Euro EU bailout plan. They are hearing arguments against German ratification and have blocked the plan until those hearings are completed.

So what do the EU do if Germany is not allowed to take part in the bailout? Where does the money come from and are they actually allowed to go ahead without German approval?

Whether they want to or not, whether it’s legally permissible or not, surely in the real world the whole thing becomes completely impracticable without German money?
    It is interesting that the objection is that it allows for the first time for the EU to raise debt on the capital markets which apparently breaches both the EU treaties and, down the line, the German constitution. It looks as if, if this challenge succeeds, then the only way to pay for the bailout is by direct payments from the richer EU states.
    At which point, our decision to wave "Cheerio" looks ever more timely.
    I suspect Boris is a very lucky general...
    The UK still in the EU would have been looked upon as a milch cow.

All it needed was a rather more thoughtful response to Cameron on his renegotiation - and they would still be tapping up us for a humungous amount. Absent our deep pockets, the EU now looks an altogether less attractive proposition for those used to its largesse.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,631
    Andy_JS said:

"Prince Charles's stepson Tom Parker Bowles is devastated by the cancer death of his girlfriend, 42, after her diagnosis was delayed by Covid lockdown"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9408485/EDEN-CONFIDENTIAL-Prince-Charless-stepson-left-devastated-death-girlfriend.html

How common is this?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    ClippP said:

I'd have thought that it constantly changes contributes to it being so successful at winning elections, so I'm not sure it refutes HYUFD's principal point, even if he may be a bit too bold on the permanence of its core values.

On Alba, no idea if this attempt at analysis is right, but the idea it only 'wastes' pro-Indy votes in such a narrow range rings true.
    https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1375556617513631747
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Thank you for an excellent analysis.

However, from the perspective of now, Scottish independence looks doomed. There simply are too many obstacles in the way, from separatist capacity to devour itself, through Boris and Westminster, not forgetting border, currency, bank of last resort and EU issues, to actually winning a referendum if there were one. All that IMHO puts actually achieving independence in the next 10-15 years at 25/1 or longer.

Grievance of course is not doomed, but to complain about Scottish grievance is to be a sailor complaining about the sea.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    For the benefit of PB’s Scotch ©️Theuniondvvie commentators, I would expect the Alba party to have several significant policy differences from the SNP and the Greens. Alba party supporters will be drawn from people who have traditionally supported the SNP, but:

Believe the SNP are too comfortable with the status quo, and are happy to use Boris says no as an excuse not to have an indyref.
    Are unhappy with the emphasis on gender issues within the SNP.
    Are unhappy with the Hate Crime Bill.
    Are unhappy with the removal of democracy within the party, including the allocation of the no.1 list place in each region being allocated to a self-identiying BAME or disabled person, irrespective of how many members voted for them, and branches no longer having any say in policy.
    Are unhappy that funds have been used to pay inflated salaries and legal bills, and that the “ringfenced” independence fighting fund has disappeared.

The SNP and the Greens are very close politically and policy wise, and are both well left of centre. There is a significant centre right proportion of the electorate, who are not unionist. Remember the SNP used to be called tartan tories? I suspect that this will be the target audience for the Alba party.

Also they have the advantage of PR. I wonder whether Change UK would still be around if the UK Parliament was elected by PR?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

Interesting vaccine production chart. For all the hoorah, the UKs vaccine production has actually been very poor. Oxford Unis vaccine gave us a head start that we seem to have squandered.

https://twitter.com/GitaGopinath/status/1375557532224225282?s=19

No, it's because this country was a vaccine nobody before the VTF. We only made a few million doses of Japanese encephalitis vaccine per year domestically. Spinning up to the planned 600m capacity this year and 1bn capacity next year takes a lot of time and planning. If it wasn't for the VTF we'd have relying 100% on imports.
    When AZ was talking about delivery of millions of doses being delivered last autumn, was that UK production or imported?

Because if it was UK production then it must have been thought that we had the capacity back then and so any failure in delivery must have been due to a problem in manufacturing.

Also, even now we are still not managing to produce to our capacity (despite previous talk about having ironed out the difficulties).

The Marburg plant in Germany is about to come online for the Biontech jag and that appears to have been a much later addition than ours.

Important to learn what has gone right and wrong as when the unexpected happens we will have to develop capacity from scratch rather than relying on what's sitting around already.
    Pfizer seem to have ramped up more successfully than some.

The Marburg plant was purchased in Nov, so there to initial production will be approx 6 months.

For AZ, a complication is that all of their overseas production is via licensed 3rd parties.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

Interesting vaccine production chart. For all the hoorah, the UKs vaccine production has actually been very poor. Oxford Unis vaccine gave us a head start that we seem to have squandered.

https://twitter.com/GitaGopinath/status/1375557532224225282?s=19

No, it's because this country was a vaccine nobody before the VTF. We only made a few million doses of Japanese encephalitis vaccine per year domestically. Spinning up to the planned 600m capacity this year and 1bn capacity next year takes a lot of time and planning. If it wasn't for the VTF we'd have relying 100% on imports.
    When AZ was talking about delivery of millions of doses being delivered last autumn, was that UK production or imported?

Because if it was UK production then it must have been thought that we had the capacity back then and so any failure in delivery must have been due to a problem in manufacturing.

Also, even now we are still not managing to produce to our capacity (despite previous talk about having ironed out the difficulties).

The Marburg plant in Germany is about to come online for the Biontech jag and that appears to have been a much later addition than ours.

Important to learn what has gone right and wrong as when the unexpected happens we will have to develop capacity from scratch rather than relying on what's sitting around already.
    Pfizer seem to have ramped up more successfully than some.

The Marburg plant was purchased in Nov, so there to initial production will be approx 6 months.

For AZ, a complication is that all of their overseas production is via licensed 3rd parties.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756

Scott_xP said:

I think my marching days are over, but I was there on this day

I am just out of shot on the left...

Lol, happy days!

As it happens the last march I went on in Glasgow was the anti Iraq war one which Blair was supposed to address at the end, unfortunately the fecker crapped out at the prospect of 100k Glasgow raspberries.
    Given what 'rasps' often means in demotic 'Wegian, that would have been a sight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Agreeing about so much said about working from home. It's very hard to take much enjoyment from it; self-motivation is very hard. I've struggles massively. Can't wait to go back.

Indeed.

Without wishing to be mawkish, while I expend too much time on the place and am resolved to reduce that (time to get some sun), PB has really helped both distract and keep my spirits up. Yes, it's silly, but it's easier to be honest about feeling down with anonymous internet people in between chatter about politics and cricket.

Pleasant day, and days, to all.
    What, no mention of my awesome punning? I’m hurt ☹️
    It has helped keep me sane, if it makes you any happier.
    I'm not sure there's anything sane about ydoethur's puns. Genius or madness, only history can decide.
    Scott_xP said:
    Not much to be done. They are fragmented for policy reasons, so cooperation is pretty limited to hoping unionist voters can back the other parties up when the situation arises, without formal alliance.
    But suppose it was needed in the UK national interest and the question had to be asked. Is it not the case that on the really big issues Labour, Tory and LD are not so far apart. What huge and game changing (non rhetorical) things separate them on: welfare, defence, education, employment, tax, borrowing, foreign policy, health, transport, doing Brexit as well as possible given that it's a done deal, civil liberties and the union of the UK?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: third practice has begun.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    So is DRoss going to tell Tories in the Borders to vote Labour on the list? I doubt it.
    Ooh, interesting, Labour and the LDs again being asked to cut their own throats to save the Union (and this time also to save Mr Johnson).
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Completely off thread (sorry) but I'd welcome any legal insights into this one.

I live in England and am the owner of a residential property in another country which I let out. However, due to recent relaxations in applicable Covid rules, I am once again able to let it out in that country and wish to do so in early April.

The rules in England with regard to international travel explicitly give an exemption for travel “in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property”. Due to Covid restrictions I haven't visited the property in six months, as a result of which the buildings insurance can't apply. It needs at the very least a thorough inspection and probable action to deal with several problems, plus routine maintenance to get on top of all the usual jobs normally done over the winter. I am praying that there isn't months of internal water damage arising from a lost tile or the like, let alone a break in. I won't know until I get there. Clearly I can't let it out to visitors until all this is sorted out.

So I am going to complete the required form "Coronavirus (COVID-19): declaration form for international travel from England from 29 March 2021" and having met all the criteria expect to be allowed out of England. I think I'm also acting reasonably, as well as within the law on international travel. The property is self-contained, and isolated, and I won't interact with a soul while I'm there. Frankly I'm worried sick about what might have happened to it.

One other thing. The other country is Wales. And that's the legal point. If someone has a valid reason within the law to travel from England to outside of the UK, does the Welsh Government have any powers stop them using the same reasons to travel from England to Wales?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2021
    algarkirk said:

However, from the perspective of now, Scottish independence looks doomed. There simply are too many obstacles in the way, from separatist capacity to devour itself, through Boris and Westminster, not forgetting border, currency, bank of last resort and EU issues, to actually winning a referendum if there were one. All that IMHO puts actually achieving independence in the next 10-15 years at 25/1 or longer.

Grievance of course is not doomed, but to complain about Scottish grievance is to be a sailor complaining about the sea.

I’d take as much 25/1 as I could get my hands on.

I’d back you down to 6/4
  • Options

For the benefit of PB’s Scotch ©️Theuniondvvie commentators, I would expect the Alba party to have several significant policy differences from the SNP and the Greens. Alba party supporters will be drawn from people who have traditionally supported the SNP, but:

Believe the SNP are too comfortable with the status quo, and are happy to use Boris says no as an excuse not to have an indyref.
    Are unhappy with the removal of democracy within the party, including the allocation of the no.1 list place in each region being allocated to a self-identiying BAME or disabled person, irrespective of how many members voted for them, and branches no longer having any say in policy.
    Are unhappy that funds have been used to pay inflated salaries and legal bills, and that the “ringfenced” independence fighting fund has disappeared.

The SNP and the Greens are very close politically and policy wise, and are both well left of centre. There is a significant centre right proportion of the electorate, who are not unionist. Remember the SNP used to be called tartan tories? I suspect that this will be the target audience for the Alba party.

Also they have the advantage of PR. I wonder whether Change UK would still be around if the UK Parliament was elected by PR?

I think this is a key insight.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    So is DRoss going to tell Tories in the Borders to vote Labour on the list? I doubt it.
    He's bricking it. More Tories like Salmond than SNP supporters do.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    MaxPB said:

Morning folks

I'll believe it when I see the final judgement. The German constitutional court is the dog that never barks. People like to make these grandiose claims about how it will prevent something, somewhere within the EU but those judges always find some tortured logic as to why the EU has once again managed to thread the needle.
    I suspect you are right but it is interesting never the less. It marks a big step change in EU power and 'ever closer union'.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I live in England and am the owner of a residential property in another country which I let out. However, due to recent relaxations in applicable Covid rules, I am once again able to let it out in that country and wish to do so in early April.

The rules in England with regard to international travel explicitly give an exemption for travel “in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property”. Due to Covid restrictions I haven't visited the property in six months, as a result of which the buildings insurance can't apply. It needs at the very least a thorough inspection and probable action to deal with several problems, plus routine maintenance to get on top of all the usual jobs normally done over the winter. I am praying that there isn't months of internal water damage arising from a lost tile or the like, let alone a break in. I won't know until I get there. Clearly I can't let it out to visitors until all this is sorted out.

So I am going to complete the required form "Coronavirus (COVID-19): declaration form for international travel from England from 29 March 2021" and having met all the criteria expect to be allowed out of England. I think I'm also acting reasonably, as well as within the law on international travel. The property is self-contained, and isolated, and I won't interact with a soul while I'm there. Frankly I'm worried sick about what might have happened to it.

One other thing. The other country is Wales. And that's the legal point. If someone has a valid reason within the law to travel from England to outside of the UK, does the Welsh Government have any powers stop them using the same reasons to travel from England to Wales?

That form says "You do not need to complete the form for travel within the UK, to Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (the common travel area)."
  • Options

Who knows? Mr Johnson et al have trashed the Sewel conventions. But this might help - about 5/6 of the way down.

https://gov.wales/alert-level-4-frequently-asked-questions#section-58340
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

That form says "You do not need to complete the form for travel within the UK, to Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (the common travel area)."
    Thanks, got that, but I'm going to complete it anyway in preparation for being stopped either in England or Wales.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,102
    edited March 2021
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ooh, interesting, Labour and the LDs again being asked to cut their own throats to save the Union (and this time also to save Mr Johnson).
    Why would SLab, on course to be the 2nd party at Holyrood, feel the need to associate with the failing SCon party/sub branch?

The SCons appeared to have managed the trick of finding a leader worse than Carlaw.
  • Options
    ping said:

algarkirk said:

I’d take as much 25/1 as I could get my hands on.

I’d back you down to 6/4
    As a a matter of interest is anyone offering odds/market on Scotland achieving independence by year X?

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Thanks, got that, but I'm going to complete it anyway in preparation for being stopped either in England or Wales.
    I have just driven from Devon to Highland Scotland (work - lambing) without anyone ever asking me what I am up to. I think if you don't have a car full of children and surfboards, or park in Snowdonia, you are unlikely to attract much attention.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

If you travel by car from England to Wales, you will likely be stopped.

There are police stationed on the main roads that are the entry points to Wales, stopping cars (probably ones registered in England) & finding out what their purpose of travel is. You will get a fine.

Drakeford has a slate curtain along the border. You will have to wait till Drakeford makes it a woolly curtain.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Why would SLab, on course to be the 2nd party at Holyrood, feel the need to associate with the failing SCon party/sub branch?

The SCons appeared to have managed the trick of finding a leader worse than Carlaw.
    That's a thought. Brexit, hitting the farms and fisheries in the prime Tory areas. And Ms, sorry Lady, Davidson away soon and off to the Cabinet in London, to replace the present SoSfS maybe?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I have just driven from Devon to Highland Scotland (work - lambing) without anyone ever asking me what I am up to. I think if you don't have a car full of children and surfboards, or park in Snowdonia, you are unlikely to attract much attention.
    I cross the Scotland/England border daily for essential work - if I see the Polis pulling anyone over, its minibuses/cars full of people, everyone else gets left alone to get on with it. Most of the A1 traffic is lorries and farm vehicles anyway.
  • Options

There are police stationed on the main roads that are the entry points to Wales, stopping cars (probably ones registered in England) & finding out what their purpose of travel is. You will get a fine.

Drakeford has a slate curtain along the border. You will have to wait till Drakeford makes it a woolly curtain.
    So ignore my previous post.
  • Options

At present travel into Wales is prohibited and it is the Welsh government who decide on these matters
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

He’s just a has-been, sex pest. I expect his party to sink without trace pretty quickly. As a Green Party spokesman noted yesterday he’s even less popular in Scotland than Boris Johnson.

Once again, the Farage principle applies. It doesn't matter if he's unpopular with most voters, so long as he's the best thing since sliced bread for a sufficient number.

If there are enough Malcs out there who think the SNP has grown too comfortable with devolution and want to rattle the cage bars a bit, then Salmond will be back in the game and the sock puppet Greens will be toast.
    The E&W Greens are level with and or beating the LD in many polls that include south of the border. They are becoming he second party in Germany. There is enough of a “pure” Green vote in Scotland to make any assumption that Alba will just hoover up their vote without trying premature at best surely?
    Possibly, although polls and elections are, of course, clean different things. The Greens are doing well, by their own modest standards, in UK opinion polling; in the last General Election they got less than 3%, consisting of one win, several decent performances, and nugatory levels of support in the bulk of the country (zero in approximately one quarter of seats, where they declined to stand at all.)

We can disregard the German situation, where there is a decent chance of a Green becoming Chancellor in September. The German Greens are a very different animal.

Fundamentally, one would've thought that representation is eminently achievable for Salmond's outfit. Alba doesn't need to plunder the Green vote wholesale. If it steals only a third of the Green list vote then the Greens are out; add a small fraction of disgruntled Nat fundamentalists (and the SNP bagged over 40% of the list vote last time, which was almost entirely "wasted" except in the South) and Alba is in.

Given that we can assume that the SNP will at worst get reasonably close to an outright majority from the constituency vote, it's going to take a very precise combination of Green and Alba support for the two to cancel each other out and enable a theoretical Unionist majority. Possible, but unlikely.

I'm sticking with the Farage Theory, at least unless or until there's substantial polling evidence much closer to the election to suggest that Alba is a damp squib and/or that the Green vote may be holding firm. My instinct is that Salmond will probably be able to gather enough support to get in.
    Greens are weak as well, much of their vote was independence supporters who did not want to vote SNP.
    Wasn’t the point of voting Green on the list, that the system delivers more pro-indy MSPs if people vote for different parties in the constituency and list votes?
    yes but far better to give them to a real independence party, I hate that little pipsqueak Harvie, be nice if he was ousted. Good few of the others are bellends and rest invisible and just picking up the money.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Sandpit said:

I’m happy with my 50/1 bet on SNP not being the largest party.

Not as happy as your bookmaker
  • Options

Thanks. I have a £200,000 asset wasting away, will not be using main roads, and so am prepared to risk a fine of dubious legality. The question is whether Drakeford really has legal powers to impose one. His statements so far suggest that he is justifying legal sanctions on tourists travelling into Wales on the grounds that they wouldn't have a valid reason to travel in England either until 12th April. But I will not be a tourist and will have a valid reason to travel within England, so what are the legal powers?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Not bad for a new party. Only be going for 1 day and already has as many MPs as SLAB!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It will be interesting to see them both in the HOC as he is not resigning his seat, no doubt in part to wind up Sturgeon and Blackford
  • Options

He’s just a has-been, sex pest. I expect his party to sink without trace pretty quickly. As a Green Party spokesman noted yesterday he’s even less popular in Scotland than Boris Johnson.

:D must be a top Scotch expert to come out with that hogwash
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    That should sooth some troubled comments over the last few days
  • Options

Another AZ anecdote from a colleague:

No flu-like symptoms, but a couple of days after the vaccination his arm hurt like hell and he could barely raise it. This lasted for 2-3 days.

saw article where it said that was due to how jog was administered, damages muscle if if not stuck in quickly or something
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I think the setting up of a new indy party with a developed alternative political position to the SNP would be a more honourable stance than concentrating on the super majority thing. I believe that's closer to the situation in Catalonia (insofar as that's an auspicious comparison).
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404

Some of the things that the SNP has done internally remind me of an old theory - that there comes a point where the leadership, in political parties, starts to hate and fear the membership.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Once again, the Farage principle applies. It doesn't matter if he's unpopular with most voters, so long as he's the best thing since sliced bread for a sufficient number.

If there are enough Malcs out there who think the SNP has grown too comfortable with devolution and want to rattle the cage bars a bit, then Salmond will be back in the game and the sock puppet Greens will be toast.
    The E&W Greens are level with and or beating the LD in many polls that include south of the border. They are becoming he second party in Germany. There is enough of a “pure” Green vote in Scotland to make any assumption that Alba will just hoover up their vote without trying premature at best surely?
    Possibly, although polls and elections are, of course, clean different things. The Greens are doing well, by their own modest standards, in UK opinion polling; in the last General Election they got less than 3%, consisting of one win, several decent performances, and nugatory levels of support in the bulk of the country (zero in approximately one quarter of seats, where they declined to stand at all.)

We can disregard the German situation, where there is a decent chance of a Green becoming Chancellor in September. The German Greens are a very different animal.

Fundamentally, one would've thought that representation is eminently achievable for Salmond's outfit. Alba doesn't need to plunder the Green vote wholesale. If it steals only a third of the Green list vote then the Greens are out; add a small fraction of disgruntled Nat fundamentalists (and the SNP bagged over 40% of the list vote last time, which was almost entirely "wasted" except in the South) and Alba is in.

Given that we can assume that the SNP will at worst get reasonably close to an outright majority from the constituency vote, it's going to take a very precise combination of Green and Alba support for the two to cancel each other out and enable a theoretical Unionist majority. Possible, but unlikely.

I'm sticking with the Farage Theory, at least unless or until there's substantial polling evidence much closer to the election to suggest that Alba is a damp squib and/or that the Green vote may be holding firm. My instinct is that Salmond will probably be able to gather enough support to get in.
    Greens are weak as well, much of their vote was independence supporters who did not want to vote SNP.
    But surely the independence voters voting green are left wing voters who really wouldn't be likely to vote for Alba's more centralist / wet right policies.

The issue is really how does the SNP use Alba to get a super majority of seats without making it too blooming obvious.
    they want independence, the right left fight will be election after that.
  • Options

Thanks. I have a £200,000 asset wasting away, will not be using main roads, and so am prepared to risk a fine of dubious legality. The question is whether Drakeford really has legal powers to impose one. His statements so far suggest that he is justifying legal sanctions on tourists travelling into Wales on the grounds that they wouldn't have a valid reason to travel in England either until 12th April. But I will not be a tourist and will have a valid reason to travel within England, so what are the legal powers?
    He has the powers and if caught without a valid reason you will be turned back

This matter is devolved
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    On what basis would Salmond have any right to participate in the Debates being lined up?There is no history of support for ALBA - or any polling available to suggest a massive surge ( unlike for the Brexit Party in Spring 2019). Maybe the SNP would go to the Courts to prevent his particpation.
  • Options
    isam said:

“ Broja was born in Slough and could have joined the army of young talent knocking on Gareth Southgate's door. Instead, he's aiming to cause an upset in Tirana when England visit on Sunday.

'I went for it because I have got Albanian blood in me, I am Albanian, my parents are Albanian so it was an easy decision.“

https://twitter.com/mailsport/status/1375772120983166982?s=21

Until the crowds return to games.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ross Greer's arse must be making buttons, given that he secured 1.5% of the vote in the constituency he stood in last time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

The worry is that, like the Greens, he gets a pile of list votes which sets up an independence majority in the Parliament.

But, to action that, he would have to vote for Sturgeon to be FM.

Now that would be the ultimate ‘karma’s a bitch’ moment.
    I believe Krishnan Guru Murphy specifically asked him that on C4 news last night. Salmond more or less answered yes and that he would vote for Sturgeon if he lived in her constituency.
    Then why is he starting up a whole new fecking party?
    for the list votes stupid!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

On what basis would Salmond have any right to participate in the Debates being lined up?There is no history of support for ALBA - or any polling available to suggest a massive surge ( unlike for the Brexit Party in Spring 2019). Maybe the SNP would go to the Courts to prevent his particpation.

And how will that help

Sturgeon taking court action to silence Salmond - time for popcorn
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Not bad for a new party. Only be going for 1 day and already has as many MPs as SLAB!
    I wonder how many more SNP MPs he'd admit to being an embarrassment to the Party? Double figures?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Ross Greer's arse must be making buttons, given that he secured 1.5% of the vote in the constituency he stood in last time.
    That utter arsewipe is toast
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Yes that will look good , they are all bricking it as he will wipe the floor with them in debates.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Long overdue, he's an absolute fud. I wouldn't give him a job sweeping up.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Fantasy
  • Options
    edited March 2021

justin124 said:

And how will that help

She could just decide not to turn up to the debate like your hero.
  • Options

justin124 said:

And how will that help

On what basis could she take him to court, she has tried before and been sent home to think again. Wishful thinking. TV will think of the box office , a giant killer or a debate among pygmies, it is a no brainer for them.
  • Options
    Sky

Sturgeon referring to Salmond's appropriateness to his return to office having concerns about his previous conduct, and it is not the time to gamble with the country
  • Options

There are plenty of examples in the Welsh press of second-home owners turning up, and being reported to the police by neighbours and sent back home with a fat fine.

I'd advise waiting till Drakeford opens the border. But, if you want a complicated life, by all means get a fine and contest it through the courts.

My guess is Drakeford has the powers because health is devolved, and so the Welsh Government is allowed to take such actions as deemed necessary to control the pandemic.

There are two countries involved in travel between England and anywhere else, and you will always need to obey both country's restrictions, whether the second country is Spain or Fiji ... or Wales.
  • Options

He has the powers and if caught without a valid reason you will be turned back

This matter is devolved
    If you were travelling to Scotland then you would be allowed as it is essential travel to maintain your property/ prepare it for rental, hard to believe it would be different in Wales.
  • Options

justin124 said:

And how will that help

I have only one hero and that is my wife of near 60 years

• Options
    malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

And how will that help

On what basis could she take him to court, she has tried before and been sent home to think again. Wishful thinking. TV will think of the box office , a giant killer or a debate among pygmies, it is a no brainer for them.
    I do not think it is even credible to go to court
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Sky

Sturgeon referring to Salmond's appropriateness to his return to office having concerns about his previous conduct, and it is not the time to gamble with the country

Lol! By going independent, Nicola?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Sky

Has she forgotten that he was found not guilty?

Defamation case in 3, 2, 1...
  • Options

I think the setting up of a new indy party with a developed alternative political position to the SNP would be a more honourable stance than concentrating on the super majority thing. I believe that's closer to the situation in Catalonia (insofar as that's an auspicious comparison).
    That is what they have done TUD, ALBA actually want independence and so have different path from SNP completely.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

justin124 said:

And how will that help

And get the same amount of shit flung in her direction - and by the self-same people - as Boris did? That will be quite the spectacle....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It will be interesting to see them both in the HOC as he is not resigning his seat, no doubt in part to wind up Sturgeon and Blackford
    Wait till after Holyrood elections and then defect to ALBA, that would be a laugh.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Ian Blackford is another reason to vote Alba. They should put his smug angry mug on their leaflets.
  • Options

I think that will come. I assume that they will produce a manifesto.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I think some of these statements may be unwise
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Please, please let him lose his seat. It would increase the average IQ of the Scottish Parliament by 50%.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I wonder how many more SNP MPs he'd admit to being an embarrassment to the Party? Double figures?
    He has already said Cherry is one. Anyone who achieves anything or can speak articulately is persona non grata.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sky

It did surprise me

Listening to Sturgeon this sounds like a serious internal civil war

Scotland deserves better, much better
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited March 2021
    malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

Yes that will look good , they are all bricking it as he will wipe the floor with them in debates.
    But there is no reasonable basis for including him given this party has no track record of support. Legal action may not be required - indeed were Salmond to be admitted to the Debates, leaders of other minor parties - eg UKIP - could demand a place too. He has no basis from being exempt from the rules set out by the broadcasters.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952

I think some of these statements may be unwise

What happens when separatists, separate...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    When will Cherry jump, she is out sick at present having been hounded. Doubt it will be the last.
  • Options

justin124 said:

And how will that help

And get the same amount of shit flung in her direction - and by the self-same people - as Boris did? That will be quite the spectacle....
    I was joking. She’s not a coward...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sky

There is quite a range of inappropriate behaviour, short of criminal behaviour, that would you get you or I sacked from a "real world" job.
  • Options

Sky

She has slandered him several times, she may do it once too often.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Feeling slightly better about my 5/1 on snp<60 seats bet.

This is a shitshow for sturgeon.

I was trying to lay it off at 2/1, but I’ve now cancelled my lay.

Gonna let it ride.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    I have today broken my promise to myself not to comment on Scottish political matters so apologies for that. Nevertheless, as an outsider, there appears to be a sort of binary thinking about all of this, Indy voters for Greens going to x, list votes going to y etc etc etc. What are Alba’s domestic policies? I cannot, simply cannot, see a young, idealistic, leftist, pro-Indy Green voter moving to a party led by a man whose own fracking Counsel admitted in closing submissions that his client would not be on trial if he had “been a better man”. While short of criminal culpability it’s not exactly a ringing endorsement. And surely any personal vote Sturgeon has ain’t going to Salmond anytime soon?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Long overdue, he's an absolute fud. I wouldn't give him a job sweeping up.
    Can only hope Harvie goes with him, he is an odious little creep.
  • Options

I think that will come. I assume that they will produce a manifesto.
    Be a simple one "Independence"
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,597
    edited March 2021

malcolmg said:

Please, please let him lose his seat. It would increase the average IQ of the Scottish Parliament by 50%.
    Am definitely staying up for the West of Scotland list results, with any luck he'll be out on his erchie.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Wales 25,463 11,080

712k total equiv
  • Options

There are plenty of examples in the Welsh press of second-home owners turning up, and being reported to the police by neighbours and sent back home with a fat fine.

I'd advise waiting till Drakeford opens the border. But, if you want a complicated life, by all means get a fine and contest it through the courts.

My guess is Drakeford has the powers because health is devolved, and so the Welsh Government is allowed to take such actions as deemed necessary to control the pandemic.

There are two countries involved in travel between England and anywhere else, and you will always need to obey both country's restrictions, whether the second country is Spain or Fiji ... or Wales.
    In fact, the most amusing incident occurred in Llanelli.

A local resident noticed that every Friday, a house in his street was visited by a second-homer who stayed a few hours and then drove off .. only to return the following Friday for another few hours short visit. Was this really essential travel?

The resident complained to his local Member of the Senedd, Lee Waters.

And discovered that the second-homer was ... err ... his local Member of the Senedd, Lee Waters.

This, we found out that Lee Waters and family do not actually live in Llanelli -- as claimed on Labour's election literature -- but in Cardiff. He only visits his Llanelli residence once a week.

Similarly, we have discovered that the Labour Senedd Member for Islwyn ... lives in Wiltshire.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Sandpit said:

Sky

It did surprise me

Listening to Sturgeon this sounds like a serious internal civil war

Scotland deserves better, much better
    The defence to a defamation claim would be to point out that even his own Advocate expressed real concerns as to his conduct at his trial.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I have today broken my promise to myself not to comment on Scottish political matters so apologies for that. Nevertheless, as an outsider, there appears to be a sort of binary thinking about all of this, Indy voters for Greens going to x, list votes going to y etc etc etc. What are Alba’s domestic policies? I cannot, simply cannot, see a young, idealistic, leftist, pro-Indy Green voter moving to a party led by a man whose own fracking Counsel admitted in closing submissions that his client would not be on trial if he had “been a better man”. While short of criminal culpability it’s not exactly a ringing endorsement. And surely any personal vote Sturgeon has ain’t going to Salmond anytime soon?

Look up the Green MSP's, a bigger bunch of no marks you will not have seen. Even if the small amount of Green voters don't shift and many are for independence and not Green, the key is the almost 1 million list SNP votes. With that SNP got 4 list seats , any significant shift of that near million votes will wipe out Greens , and many of the London parties. Just 6% will guarantee 6 seats ( 1 SNP ).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: I'll wait for the prices but right now Verstappen's looking dominant if third practice is even close to reflecting true pace. Seven-tenths on Hamilton.
  • Options

The Welsh regulations relax this weekend for people taking self-catering hols in Wales, but still seem rather limited for foreigners holiday-ing in Wales,

Regs here:
    https://gov.wales/frequently-asked-questions-restrictions-27-march#section-67239

My punt would be probably OK but go via a back-rout, and check first if possible.
This discussion has been closed.