Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What does Salmond want and what will he achieve? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    Room for first doses from the Astra stocks is freed up a bit in May due to the second half of February being sluggish in terms of first vaccinations.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited March 2021
    eek said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Today I have received a reminder letter from the Census Office! It repeats the information given earlier whilst adding that someone from ONS may visit me. My position remains unchanged.

You position that you wish to receive a £1000 fine for being stupid - yep that seems fair.
    No I will complete a form when presented - as received by residents in Wales.

Personally I would fine you first. All you had to do was ring up and ask for one.

And all you are doing by being awkward is cost people time and effort.
    Out of interest, what would your view have been had I refused to fill in the census on the grounds I wasn't sent one and I have better things to do than waste my time correcting other people's cockups (especially at the moment)?

Fortunately, the situation didn't arise, of course, although it's even stranger as they sent me a full form which is actually sitting on my desk and needs to be tidied away.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,007
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

There's a 2nd jabs crunch coming up in the second half of April where we'll need 450k a day to stay within 12 weeks.

From now till then is 250k/day. The reality is we'll probably do more quicker as we're running at a 70 day gap, not 84 day gap

Gap time is as follows right now

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

I’ve been flagging this for ages. The long promised March ramping up seems to have consisted of a single day that topped January’s record vaccination total.

Meanwhile, on topic, is there a mysterious pronunciation of Alba that is passing us English Brits by? The BBC seems to be pronouncing it ‘Allaba’ on the news.
    Gaelic v. Scottish pronunciation, there's already a cultural appropriation micro storm in a quaich.

Fwiw I think the Gaelic would be closer to Allipa but willing to be corrected.
    I watched his CH4 interview yesterday and Alex kept doing both pronunciations one after the other. I think he might be better deciding which to major on because to my ear it rather got in the way of his flow.
    One of Salmond's supporters the Wings Over Scotland blog is for reasons not entirely clear to me virulently anti Gaelic, so Eck better make his mind up before the Rev Stu unleashes a fatwah upon him.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Gadfly said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

There's a 2nd jabs crunch coming up in the second half of April where we'll need 450k a day to stay within 12 weeks.

From now till then is 250k/day. The reality is we'll probably do more quicker as we're running at a 70 day gap, not 84 day gap

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

I’ve been flagging this for ages. The long promised March ramping up seems to have consisted of a single day that topped January’s record vaccination total.

Meanwhile, on topic, is there a mysterious pronunciation of Alba that is passing us English Brits by? The BBC seems to be pronouncing it ‘Allaba’ on the news.
    Maybe they're trying to do the Gaelic pronunciation?

"Alba (English: /ˈælbə/) is the Scottish Gaelic name (pronounced [ˈal̪ˠapə]) for Scotland."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alba
    Which would be logical, given it's a Gaelic word.

Nothing annoys me more than people who mispronounce words in Welsh using English phonetics (apart from teenagers who chew gum in lessons, obviously).
    It may be a Gaelic word, but it is also a Latin word, which became an English word, and it seems to refer to England
    With ancient origins in pre-Greek Indo-European languages. But if it is a Scottish party named after a Gaelic word, then that surely is the pronunciation to be used.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    eek said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Today I have received a reminder letter from the Census Office! It repeats the information given earlier whilst adding that someone from ONS may visit me. My position remains unchanged.

You position that you wish to receive a £1000 fine for being stupid - yep that seems fair.

Personally I would fine you first. All you had to do was ring up and ask for one.

Why should I accept being discriminated against on account of residing on the other side of the England/Wales border?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,994
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Gadfly said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

"Alba (English: /ˈælbə/) is the Scottish Gaelic name (pronounced [ˈal̪ˠapə]) for Scotland."

Nothing annoys me more than people who mispronounce words in Welsh using English phonetics (apart from teenagers who chew gum in lessons, obviously).
    It may be a Gaelic word, but it is also a Latin word, which became an English word, and it seems to refer to England
    No, it's a Celtic word adopted by the Romans.
    No one is entirely sure, in truth

And early references cognating Alba (Albion, Albany) with the whole or part of the British Isles seem to refer to the white cliffs of Dover, which is piquant for Eck Salmond

"Middle English from Medieval Latin Albania (“Scotland”), from Scottish Gaelic Alba (“Scotland”), from Old Irish Albu (“Britain, Scotland”), from Proto-Celtic *albiyū (“world”, literally “white (place)”) (compare Old Welsh elbid (“world”)), from Proto-Indo-European *h₂elbʰos (“white”), possibly in reference to the White Cliffs of Dover. Doublet of Albania."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Albany
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Leon said:

Streets absolutely rammed here in north London. There's still nowhere to go but people seem to be going there anyway

If everything is really still closed, sunbathe on Hampstead Heath and get some vitamin D.

Many individual doctors take vitamin D and prescribe it to patients when possible, knowing that it gives immunity in large enough amounts. But the neanderthals in NICE / NHS management / PHE oppose, er, saving lives

See http://www.drdavidgrimes.com/2020/11/covid-19-vitamin-d-deaths-of-doctors.html
    He's a retired NHS consultant gastroenterologist. See his later blog about an intervention in S. Spain last December; vitamin D saved 1,000s of lives.

David Davis MP - who has a biochemistry degree - probably knows more than the other 649 MPs put together on the subject and gave a useful interview on Y.Tube. He's hit a brick wall, though, within the govt.

The NHS is beyond repair. If you want a long healthy life and don't want to be on 5-10 (mostly expensive and patented) drugs by the time you're 70, stay away from it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Editor of Teen Vogue, 27, sacked for racist tweets she did when was.... 17. For which she has already apologised

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/america-has-lost-ability-forgive/618336/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=2021-03-19T21:56:30&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=the-atlantic

They weren't violently racist, just crude and silly

Are we really going to destroy people for social media they did in their TEENS? Ten years later?

All those progressives saying, cancel culture, what cancel culture....is this lady now effectively banned from her chosen field for life, despite being now having a reputation for being about as woke as possible.
    Revolutions devouring their own. Apparently she was a bit of a canceller herself.

And now it seems one of the people cancelling HER has used the N word on social media many years ago, so the canceller who cancelled the canceller who cancelled someone else, is now getting cancelled.

twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1373617405843361792?s=20
    This guy is going to get chucked under the bus isn't he...

‘The governors are going to consider whether they should ask for the section about blasphemy to be removed from the GCSE RE syllabus which the pupils are taught.

‘It is clear that the teacher in question did all he could to warn the pupils that some might be offended before he showed the caricature.

‘But when you get shouting and swearing and protests at the school gates, any chance of having a sensible debate just dies.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9409161/RE-teacher-suspended-Prophet-Muhammad-cartoon-defended-right-freedom-speech.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Gadfly said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

No, it predates the Celtics, Greeks and the Romans as a word. Perhaps not in its application to a place name.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162

US has gone bonkers....women makes crazy statement that Piers Morgan is a definitely racist, not because he said anything racist, but because she felt his tone was racist. Another woman says hold on there, that's crazy, I know this person, he isn't racist..... klaxon goes off, your fired.

BBC News - The Talk: Sharon Osbourne leaves US show after racism row
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56547718

It's a blow to the cause of freedom of expression in the western world to not only lose Morgan, but now Osbourne too, but to me "racism" is just a cypher was what has actually driven this one. She was fired for the same reason she was hired - being Sharon Osbourne. It was an asset (for the show), now it's a liability. That's how it goes sometimes.
  • Options

Whether my PAYE taxes would be paid to Holyrood would be a matter for my employer, potentially the courts and the police. I've no idea what would happen with my savings and bank account if a newly independent Scotland decided they had to be converted to Scottish Pounds, but presumably this becomes another issue determined by the courts and the banks, and with no regard to my wishes, if I was going to decide to somehow pledge my allegiance to Westminster instead.

I don't think it's really a question of the country being split between following Westminster or Holyrood in the event of a UDI. It would become obvious very quickly, in less than a week I think, which side could command Scotland's institutions.

If it is Westminster then that's that. UDI fails.

If it's Holyrood, then we'd enter a phase where they have to try to keep Scotland functioning without support from the rUK. I've never heard a single plausible scenario for UDI where it doesn't result in a complete economic collapse and civil disorder if Westminster decides to play hard-ball.
  • Options

Whether my PAYE taxes would be paid to Holyrood would be a matter for my employer, potentially the courts and the police. I've no idea what would happen with my savings and bank account if a newly independent Scotland decided they had to be converted to Scottish Pounds, but presumably this becomes another issue determined by the courts and the banks, and with no regard to my wishes, if I was going to decide to somehow pledge my allegiance to Westminster instead.

I don't think it's really a question of the country being split between following Westminster or Holyrood in the event of a UDI. It would become obvious very quickly, in less than a week I think, which side could command Scotland's institutions.

If it is Westminster then that's that. UDI fails.

If it's Holyrood, then we'd enter a phase where they have to try to keep Scotland functioning without support from the rUK. I've never heard a single plausible scenario for UDI where it doesn't result in a complete economic collapse and civil disorder if Westminster decides to play hard-ball.
    Which is why, for all he should give a referendum, if he doesn't it would be foolish to provoke Boris Johnson by declaring UDI. As hardball would be in the interests of his career and he would therefore play it for all he is worth.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    The digger next to the Evergiven is like something out of lilliput
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    kinabalu said:

US has gone bonkers....women makes crazy statement that Piers Morgan is a definitely racist, not because he said anything racist, but because she felt his tone was racist. Another woman says hold on there, that's crazy, I know this person, he isn't racist..... klaxon goes off, your fired.

It's a blow to the cause of freedom of expression in the western world to not only lose Morgan, but now Osbourne too, but to me "racism" is just a cypher was what has actually driven this one. She was fired for the same reason she was hired - being Sharon Osbourne. It was an asset (for the show), now it's a liability. That's how it goes sometimes.
    Nobody goes the shop and buys a can of racism.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

'Seems' being the operative word in your myopic view. In point of fact, our vaccination rate increased from 0.49 doses per 100 per day on March 12 to a high of 0.88 on March 21 and 0.85 as of March 25.
    Skipping over the steady decline from late Jan to mid March
    Do you even know what you wrote? 'The long promised March ramping up' happened, and quite dramatically too. We're currently one of the fastest vaccinators in the world, so perhaps there's a little less need for the typical churlish miserabilism.
  • Options
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Gadfly said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

No, it predates the Celtics, Greeks and the Romans as a word. Perhaps not in its application to a place name.
    Yes, Proto Indo European. And in reference to the British Isles it is surely the white cliffs of Dover which are getting the nod. They are very striking, they are the first thing any incomer by boat will sea, using the easiest - narrowest - route to Blighty from the continent. Look, the cliffs are white! So we shall call this, the white island. Alba, Albany, Albion

Researching this just now I discovered this is probably where the Alps got their name. The white mountains. Never thought of that before, but of course makes total sense

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Editor of Teen Vogue, 27, sacked for racist tweets she did when was.... 17. For which she has already apologised

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/america-has-lost-ability-forgive/618336/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=2021-03-19T21:56:30&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=the-atlantic

Are we really going to destroy people for social media they did in their TEENS? Ten years later?

All those progressives saying, cancel culture, what cancel culture....is this lady now effectively banned from her chosen field for life, despite being now having a reputation for being about as woke as possible.
    Revolutions devouring their own. Apparently she was a bit of a canceller herself.

And now it seems one of the people cancelling HER has used the N word on social media many years ago, so the canceller who cancelled the canceller who cancelled someone else, is now getting cancelled.

‘The governors are going to consider whether they should ask for the section about blasphemy to be removed from the GCSE RE syllabus which the pupils are taught.

‘It is clear that the teacher in question did all he could to warn the pupils that some might be offended before he showed the caricature.

‘But when you get shouting and swearing and protests at the school gates, any chance of having a sensible debate just dies.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9409161/RE-teacher-suspended-Prophet-Muhammad-cartoon-defended-right-freedom-speech.html
    Yes he is, because it is perfectly possible to teach the subject without showing the images. I do it by discussing the news reports. At the very least, it was a serious lapse of judgement.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

The local Labour politicians have come out in favour of the protestors and are condemning the poor teacher. Who was carefully and politely following the syllabus

Spineless lefty twits
  • Options

Leon said:

Streets absolutely rammed here in north London. There's still nowhere to go but people seem to be going there anyway

If everything is really still closed, sunbathe on Hampstead Heath and get some vitamin D.

Many individual doctors take vitamin D and prescribe it to patients when possible, knowing that it gives immunity in large enough amounts. But the neanderthals in NICE / NHS management / PHE oppose, er, saving lives

See http://www.drdavidgrimes.com/2020/11/covid-19-vitamin-d-deaths-of-doctors.html
    He's a retired NHS consultant gastroenterologist. See his later blog about an intervention in S. Spain last December; vitamin D saved 1,000s of lives.

David Davis MP - who has a biochemistry degree - probably knows more than the other 649 MPs put together on the subject and gave a useful interview on Y.Tube. He's hit a brick wall, though, within the govt.

The NHS is beyond repair. If you want a long healthy life and don't want to be on 5-10 (mostly expensive and patented) drugs by the time you're 70, stay away from it.
    "I can think of no explanation other than skin colour." is not a very convincing scientific basis. Clearly, the differential between COVID impact on whites vs non-whites needs to be thoroughly investigated. But relying on the basis that one physician (and doctors are generally not trained scientists) cannot think of any other explanation is not sufficient grounds to draw the conclusions he does.
  • Options
    I am exquisitely delighted to learn, this arvo, that Alex Salmond has just named his new Scots Indy party....

"The White Cliffs of Dover Party"
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Gadfly said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

Yes, Proto Indo European. And in reference to the British Isles it is surely the white cliffs of Dover which are getting the nod. They are very striking, they are the first thing any incomer by boat will sea, using the easiest - narrowest - route to Blighty from the continent. Look, the cliffs are white! So we shall call this, the white island. Alba, Albany, Albion

Researching this just now I discovered this is probably where the Alps got their name. The white mountains. Never thought of that before, but of course makes total sense

Same for Lebanon - lubnan is milk - the colour of the snow-covered mountains.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The local Labour politicians have come out in favour of the protestors and are condemning the poor teacher. Who was carefully and politely following the syllabus

Spineless lefty twits
    I reckon he'd sign for "getting chucked under the bus"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    edited March 2021
    Your 2021 ‘staycation’ invitation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-qaKyZ1qZg

https://vimeo.com/291302624

The gable of my roof is just visible in the second video at 2:35
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Gadfly said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

Same for Lebanon - lubnan is milk - the colour of the snow-covered mountains.
    Yeah-huh? Didn't know that either!

I love etymology. It is so endlessly fascinating. A series of brilliant and enlightening puzzles
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,319
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes he is, because it is perfectly possible to teach the subject without showing the images. I do it by discussing the news reports. At the very least, it was a serious lapse of judgement.
    Don't worry - DfE has your back. Just like the teachers in that school teaching sex education a while back....

Perhaps they will be nice and eat you last. Then again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8JFVSNxkEI
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Spineless lefty twits
    There's now a reasonable route to 'Labour loose Batley' headlines over the summer.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scotland 67 days
    N Ireland 70 days
    England 73 days
    Wales 56 days !

Gaelic v. Scottish pronunciation, there's already a cultural appropriation micro storm in a quaich.

Fwiw I think the Gaelic would be closer to Allipa but willing to be corrected.
    I watched his CH4 interview yesterday and Alex kept doing both pronunciations one after the other. I think he might be better deciding which to major on because to my ear it rather got in the way of his flow.
    One of Salmond's supporters the Wings Over Scotland blog is for reasons not entirely clear to me virulently anti Gaelic, so Eck better make his mind up before the Rev Stu unleashes a fatwah upon him.
    Yes, heard of it but that's a Macca album to me. AS did seem to be treading very carefully with it. I found it a bit odd but assumed there must have been a good reason. I will monitor with interest!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Never fear. Freedom of expression is alive and well ... for some:

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1374385601504440331
    To be clear, it’s not that most or even many of my interactions with white people are “bad”; it’s that I’m able to choose when to expose myself to interactions with potentially bad white people. That choice is a privilege I’ve never really had until this past year. Going out into white society for me is a little bit like a beekeeper going to get honey. I know what I’m doing: If I put on the right protection and blow enough smoke, most of the bees will leave me alone and the ones who don’t won’t really cause me that much pain. But I’ve got to put on the suit and the hat with the mesh and carry the smoke machine and be careful every time I want some goddamn honey. This year, it’s been like somebody said, “You know the honey comes in bottles now, right? You don’t have to risk being stung every time you want some food.”
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,531
    Leon said:

And she's a young black women. Maybe that will make the cancellers think twice in the future.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,770
    DougSeal said:

On the topic: I doubt many green voters vote Green because they are pro-indie.

The broader issue there is that Alba is looking at the election through one lens. There are a number of reasons to vote Green and indeed any other party.
    Gender self-ID? Hate crime? The SNP has taken over those divisive policies, even to the extent of gerrymandering their list candidate selection. When someone like Andy Wightman has to leave the SGP, their focus and appeal is obviously narrower and more limited than 2016.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Spineless lefty twits
    There's now a reasonable route to 'Labour loose Batley' headlines over the summer.
    God forbid anything happens to that poor teacher. Do the Labour halfwits not realise he must now be in fear of his life, after what occurred in France in the exact same situation?

And yet they support the protests.

Maybe the teacher was foolish, maybe it was an error, he gave the kids plenty of warning and tried to do his job, now he is probably in hiding

Grim
  • Options
    edited March 2021

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't worry - DfE has your back. Just like the teachers in that school teaching sex education a while back....

The DfE are crooks, liars, and failures. They have nobody’s back. They are scum, who deserve to be sacked and barred from further employment to protect others from their incompetence and malice. I have said that many times before and will doubtless say it again.

I am pointing out the teacher in question did something unnecessary knowing that it could be problematic.

He now seems to feel that the problems having arisen, they are not his fault.

Well - newsflash - actions have consequences.

The one image I show when teaching this is that wanker who dressed up as a suicide bomber to protest - who turned out to be a class A drug dealer.

I then ask whether such a person is in a position to comment on insulting Islam - and curiously, it’s the Muslims who always condemn him in the most strident terms while dissociating themselves from the protests...
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,236
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/27/heroes-to-zeros-how-german-efficiency-wrecked-its-covid-vaccine-drive

This is a fairly accurate description of German vaccine troubles and worth a read. Although I would slightly take issue with the idea that it would have been better to vaccinate people through GPs rather than through vaccination centres.

German GPs simply don't have the resources, it would be a total mess. The vaccination centres seem to be working efficiently but just don't have enough doses at the moment. Also seems to have been a fairly effective effort to vaccinate care home residents. GPs can be used to mop up remaining vulnerable people.

The biggest way AFAIK to right now speed things up would be to stop keeping so many second doses back.
    I do think that they may also run out of doctors to vaccinate people when things start really speeding up.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,508
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But the bigger question is what social conditions render it a serious lapse of judgement? In the olden days not long ago you might say that a young girl walking alone in a quiet and dark place was engaged in a serious lapse of judgement. Now, anyone saying that would have to resign.

Behind the idea of 'lapse of judgement' in the Batley case lies a significant and real fear that a lawful act by a teacher will be followed by deadly, brutal unlawful violence. Just like the girl walking down the street. I want the rights of both to be equally protected. Are they?

• Options
    Leon said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Spineless lefty twits
    God forbid anything happens to that poor teacher. Do the Labour halfwits not realise he must now be in fear of his life, after what occurred in France in the exact same situation?

Maybe the teacher was foolish, maybe it was an error, he gave the kids plenty of warning and tried to do his job, now he is probably in hiding

Grim
    Has he had death threats? I haven’t heard of any.

It also sounds from the reports as though he was rather high handed in his initial response.

I am puzzled, incidentally, as to why he was dealing with this himself. Parental complaints would normally be handled by a member of SLT. That might, in this case, have included an element of mediation, in which he agreed to modify the lesson in future.

Apart from anything else, that is an arse covering exercise.

It doesn’t suggest that he is the most sensible of people, tbh.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Quite so.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    The German health minister is now talking about a 10-14 day lockdown, but still no decisions.
    https://twitter.com/Tagesspiegel/status/1375803793829416963
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But the bigger question is what social conditions render it a serious lapse of judgement? In the olden days not long ago you might say that a young girl walking alone in a quiet and dark place was engaged in a serious lapse of judgement. Now, anyone saying that would have to resign.

Behind the idea of 'lapse of judgement' in the Batley case lies a significant and real fear that a lawful act by a teacher will be followed by deadly, brutal unlawful violence. Just like the girl walking down the street. I want the rights of both to be equally protected. Are they?

50 years ago saying ‘Jesus Christ’ in a lesson would have been a disciplinary offence.

And incidentally I am not certain that this would count as a lawful act. One reason I don’t show these images is because there are restrictions on what images we can show in lessons and I do not think the cartoons would meet them. Certainly not the one of a praying man being sodomised by a dog, or the bomb in a turban.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Batley protests. A photo.

Look at the four guys on the right, standing on the wall. Polite, concerned parents?

Or deeply menacing figures?

https://newsnationusa.com/news/world/australia/protesters-line-up-outside-batley-school-for-second-day/

Now imagine you are the teacher, facing that
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Quite so.
    But a bottle of Aunt Jemima? Or a box of Uncle Ben's?
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Leon said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Spineless lefty twits

Grim
    If he's killed then I'd expect riots. Hopefully the whole thing will calm down over the Easter break.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2021
    Islamic charity 'put Batley cartoon row teacher in danger' by outing him

Purpose of Life accused of leaving Batley Grammar School teacher in danger of 'physical harm' by publishing his name online

The organisation at the heart of the Batley Grammar School row has been reported to the Charity Commission for acting in a “reckless” manner and endangering a teacher’s safety,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/26/islamic-charity-put-cartoon-row-teacher-danger-outing/
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Where are they going, the people going there when there's no there there?

1. Bored to tears of sitting at home waiting to die of old age, decided to go out for the sake of it (walking round in circles, buying a newspaper, whatever)
    2. Going to see friends and family, in contravention of rules that most people are sick of and many have now elected to disregard

The difference relative to the first lockdown is dramatic and obvious, especially with regard to the amount of traffic on the roads
    I've got my first social engagement in about nine decades on Easter Saturday. A bbq in someone's back garden.

Is that legal now? I don't care if it is or not.

It will be three weeks since my jab next Friday, so I have immunity. Everyone there will either be jabbed or extremely young. Enough now.
    3 weeks since mine on Friday too. Spooky
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The DfE are crooks, liars, and failures. They have nobody’s back. They are scum, who deserve to be sacked and barred from further employment to protect others from their incompetence and malice. I have said that many times before and will doubtless say it again.

I am pointing out the teacher in question did something unnecessary knowing that it could be problematic.

The one image I show when teaching this is that wanker who dressed up as a suicide bomber to protest - who turned out to be a class A drug dealer.

I then ask whether such a person is in a position to comment on insulting Islam - and curiously, it’s the Muslims who always condemn him in the most strident terms while dissociating themselves from the protests...
    Apparently other teachers have showed the same stuff two years ago, with no outrage

"Parents at Batley Grammar School say pupils were shown cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed as part of the school's curriculum.

One parent told MailOnline that their teenage daughter was shown the same controversial images in a PowerPoint presentation during a Religious Education lesson two years ago.

In that instance, they said, the lesson was taken by another teacher to the one suspended by the school after threats and protests by angry Muslims.

During that lesson two pupils were warned beforehand that the content would include caricatures of the Prophet and they were given the opportunity to leave the classroom if they were likely to be offended."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9407425/Cartoons-Prophet-Muhammad-schools-curriculum-TWO-YEARS.html
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,361

He’s just a has-been, sex pest. I expect his party to sink without trace pretty quickly. As a Green Party spokesman noted yesterday he’s even less popular in Scotland than Boris Johnson.

I think you should steer clear of such pronouncements on PB. Salmond was cleared, and it's not worth the risk of legal hot water for the site.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

50 years ago saying ‘Jesus Christ’ in a lesson would have been a disciplinary offence.

And incidentally I am not certain that this would count as a lawful act. One reason I don’t show these images is because there are restrictions on what images we can show in lessons and I do not think the cartoons would meet them. Certainly not the one of a praying man being sodomised by a dog, or the bomb in a turban.
    Let's just hope the teacher isn't beheaded so you don't come across as a clueless, bleating, naive, short-sighted dickhead, eh
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2021
    Boom, no more Mercedes dominance of F1!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Leon said:

I love etymology. It is so endlessly fascinating. A series of brilliant and enlightening puzzles

In a parallel way, I think you'd like "The Handshake" by Ella Al-Shamahi - it's a dance through mankind's history of hands since the Neanderthals, by a remarkable woman who is (a) a paleontologist (b) a stand-up comic (c) a former fundamentalist Muslim and (d) now cheerily secular but not derisive of her past. The book jumps lightly between serious erudition (examining the exact way that hands were referred to in medieval texts to hilarious asides and wry self-reflection.
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"Parents at Batley Grammar School say pupils were shown cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed as part of the school's curriculum.

One parent told MailOnline that their teenage daughter was shown the same controversial images in a PowerPoint presentation during a Religious Education lesson two years ago.

In that instance, they said, the lesson was taken by another teacher to the one suspended by the school after threats and protests by angry Muslims.

During that lesson two pupils were warned beforehand that the content would include caricatures of the Prophet and they were given the opportunity to leave the classroom if they were likely to be offended."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9407425/Cartoons-Prophet-Muhammad-schools-curriculum-TWO-YEARS.html
    This is baffling. There is no need to show them. Although offering the opportunity to leave the room is something.

It sounds to me as though their Head of Faculty and SLT link have some very awkward questions to answer.

It’s instructive as well that OFSTED didn’t pick up on these sort of errors at the last inspection in 2018, which is exactly the sort of thing they’re paid to look for. Shows how useless they are.
  • Options

Leon said:

In a parallel way, I think you'd like "The Handshake" by Ella Al-Shamahi - it's a dance through mankind's history of hands since the Neanderthals, by a remarkable woman who is (a) a paleontologist (b) a stand-up comic (c) a former fundamentalist Muslim and (d) now cheerily secular but not derisive of her past. The book jumps lightly between serious erudition (examining the exact way that hands were referred to in medieval texts to hilarious asides and wry self-reflection.
    Ta, am devouring books at the moment. Two or three a week?

Will check it out!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

To be clear, it’s not that most or even many of my interactions with white people are “bad”; it’s that I’m able to choose when to expose myself to interactions with potentially bad white people. That choice is a privilege I’ve never really had until this past year. Going out into white society for me is a little bit like a beekeeper going to get honey. I know what I’m doing: If I put on the right protection and blow enough smoke, most of the bees will leave me alone and the ones who don’t won’t really cause me that much pain. But I’ve got to put on the suit and the hat with the mesh and carry the smoke machine and be careful every time I want some goddamn honey. This year, it’s been like somebody said, “You know the honey comes in bottles now, right? You don’t have to risk being stung every time you want some food.”
    But it is worth reading these types of writings and doing a little self-reflection. I have rarely had to gird myself into a defensive position before starting any activity (ok, a few times working in Iraq, or in the seedier parts of NYC, but not because of who I am). I have rarely had to worry about expected discrimination of any type. Diplomatic circles were probably the closest I have ever come to that - where people have preconceived notions of who you are based on your nationality. But it is not and never was my daily expectation.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,600
    Update (or not)

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The last makes me smile. Just like showing a picture of a Loyalist to a bunch of Protestant kids in Belfast.....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,361
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is baffling. There is no need to show them. Although offering the opportunity to leave the room is something.

It sounds to me as though their Head of Faculty and SLT link have some very awkward questions to answer.

It’s instructive as well that OFSTED didn’t pick up on these sort of errors at the last inspection in 2018, which is exactly the sort of thing they’re paid to look for. Shows how useless they are.
    I think it is treating the children like adults to show them, whilst highlighting and warning. Describing them without showing them is going to produce the same mental image anyway. And not describing them at all just renders the whole discussion pointless.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,096
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Batley protests. A photo.

Look at the four guys on the right, standing on the wall. Polite, concerned parents?

Or deeply menacing figures?

https://newsnationusa.com/news/world/australia/protesters-line-up-outside-batley-school-for-second-day/

Now imagine you are the teacher, facing that
    From that photo, it would appear that only the fathers and none of the mothers were outraged.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Let's just hope the teacher isn't beheaded so you don't come across as a clueless, bleating, naive, short-sighted dickhead, eh
    Well, let’s hope that he isn’t beheaded as murder is against the law. And even the nastiest human being doesn’t deserve to be murdered (well, perhaps Xi or Jong or Salman). Certainly that is true of teachers. I’ve never known a teacher deliberately set out to harm or upset children. If they do, they don’t last long.

This person doesn’t seem nasty, so much as foolish. A bit like a poster called SeanT we used to have, who uncritically listened to any old bullshit going and believed it all.

But let’s also ask ourselves why somebody would choose to show controversial images unnecessarily and in breach of government guidelines, and then respond to a parental concern by doubling down.

You may not like those questions, but they still need to be asked, because that is how the situation arose.

I suppose the irony is of course that it provides a perfect case study on free speech and blasphemy...which I may well end up using myself...
  • Options

Leon said:

Personally, as a healthy 71-year-old on no drugs who uses the NHS now and then, I'd rather rely on them and on NICE and PHE and than a random GP and an affable MP who I know slightly and don't regard as a medical expert. Nothing wrong with vitamin D and good to have enough by sunbathing or pills, but anyone who tells you that ONE THING is the complete answer is probably a crank.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

"I want some goddamn honey". Very good!

Of course there are people - and sadly lots of them - whose perspective on racism in western post-colonial societies is so noddy and one dimensional that whenever they see something like this they go, "If a white person said that about black people, there'd be hell to pay! Why is this different?"

But as most on here know, I'm not one of those people.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,197
    MaxPB said:

Boom, no more Mercedes dominance of F1!

I seriously hope the camera work is better for the race because that was rubbish. Barely saw Max or Lewis's laps, really impossible to see where the cars were in many of the corners. Really poor.
  • Options
    kamski said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/27/heroes-to-zeros-how-german-efficiency-wrecked-its-covid-vaccine-drive

This is a fairly accurate description of German vaccine troubles and worth a read. Although I would slightly take issue with the idea that it would have been better to vaccinate people through GPs rather than through vaccination centres.

German GPs simply don't have the resources, it would be a total mess. The vaccination centres seem to be working efficiently but just don't have enough doses at the moment. Also seems to have been a fairly effective effort to vaccinate care home residents. GPs can be used to mop up remaining vulnerable people.

The biggest way AFAIK to right now speed things up would be to stop keeping so many second doses back.
    I do think that they may also run out of doctors to vaccinate people when things start really speeding up.

GP's in the UK generally don't have big resources either - quite alot of practises are one or 2 doctors and a nurse or 2.

The idea behind the using the GPs in the UK, is that they have very good knowledge (at least the good GPs do) of their patients.

The government pays a serious bounty for vaccinations here. Which was massively bumped up at the start - it was £42+ a head for over 85's in January. Many GPs (such as my own), did the maths and realised that it was in their own interest to spend some money on setting up their surgeries as vaccination centres. My GP had the builders in over Christmas, knocking down a couple of walls and setting up partitions - she took the opportunity to do some re-modelling and updating of the the place at the same time. She also contracted in some temporary staff to handle the load of vaccinations.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    F1: exciting qualifying session. Mildly peeved the Sainz bet didn't come off as his car had the pace (and Q2 showed he could match Leclerc). Bottas bet did come off, so overall just a little red.

The pre-race tosh will be up tomorrow morning, most likely.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    The view from Ireland:

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0327/1206394-europe-vaccine-analysis/

Yet, the roll-out has inflicted enormous reputational damage on the EU, even if much of that damage has been fanned by a triumphalist UK press. Indeed, during this week’s summit, the Taoiseach reminded leaders about how exposed Ireland is to the anti-EU odium being pumped out of Fleet Street, and how demoralising it is.

There will be a long and painful inquest into how things might have been done differently, and it may well be that member states will need to grant more powers to Brussels as a result.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

The German health minister is now talking about a 10-14 day lockdown, but still no decisions.
    https://twitter.com/Tagesspiegel/status/1375803793829416963

If they can get away with two weeks rather than four months - where we live went into the old tier 4 on December 20th last year, and isn't due to see any significant degree of relaxation until April 12th - then good luck to them. Such a brief intervention looks more likely to be a repetition of the failed Welsh firebreak to me (only with the new variants thrown in for good measure,) but hey-ho.
  • Options
    "Harvard closes evolution center after finding connections to Jeffrey Epstein

Investigation finds center’s director, Martin Nowak, devoted a page to the disgraced wealthy financier on the center’s website"

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/mar/27/harvard-closes-evolution-center-after-finding-connections-jeffrey-epstein
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Of course there are people - and sadly lots of them - whose perspective on racism in western post-colonial societies is so noddy and one dimensional that whenever they see something like this they go, "If a white person said that about black people, there'd be hell to pay! Why is this different?"

We know, you don't believe in the equal and non-contingent application of universal principles. But some of us do.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,770

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

I have today broken my promise to myself not to comment on Scottish political matters so apologies for that. Nevertheless, as an outsider, there appears to be a sort of binary thinking about all of this, Indy voters for Greens going to x, list votes going to y etc etc etc. What are Alba’s domestic policies? I cannot, simply cannot, see a young, idealistic, leftist, pro-Indy Green voter moving to a party led by a man whose own fracking Counsel admitted in closing submissions that his client would not be on trial if he had “been a better man”. While short of criminal culpability it’s not exactly a ringing endorsement. And surely any personal vote Sturgeon has ain’t going to Salmond anytime soon?

Look up the Green MSP's, a bigger bunch of no marks you will not have seen. Even if the small amount of Green voters don't shift and many are for independence and not Green, the key is the almost 1 million list SNP votes. With that SNP got 4 list seats , any significant shift of that near million votes will wipe out Greens , and many of the London parties. Just 6% will guarantee 6 seats ( 1 SNP ).
    not often I agree with Malcolm but apart from Andy Wightman the Scottish Greens are complete numpties with wee Patrick and the ginger snap. Still think they could have found a Scot for co-leader instead of a Canadian much as though I love Canadians.
    AW’s election crowdfunder appeal going well- with his land reform credentials I expect him to do well in the Highlands and Islands list vote.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it are, I find it hard to see why the teacher thought the upside of showing the cartoon outweighed the possible downsides for him
  • Options
    justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Why should I accept being discriminated against on account of residing on the other side of the England/Wales border?
    Wales is a devolved government and you liver in England

Anyway this is a nonsense discussion and you look very silly
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

I think I can see my Nvidia 3090 from here.....

BBC News - Suez Canal: Fresh effort to refloat wedged container ship
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56550350

Did you not get my message yesterday?
    I didn't. Thanks for letting me know. I need a 3090 or when it comes 3080Ti (presuming rumoured specs are true).
    Would still ring them to see what they have in stock. Not sure why you would want the 3080ti as supposedly it's only getting 12gb.
    I need a decent gaming computer, the previous one having died, and to my surprise see that Currys has a decent graphics card in stock:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-pcs/pc-specialist-vortex-st-s-gaming-pc-intel-core-i7-rtx-3070-2-tb-hdd-512-gb-ssd-10215405-pdt.html

but PC Specialist offers the much cheaper lower-spec

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/view/Cobalt-Elite/

Any advice? I play mostly turn-based games like Wasteland 3 and Civ VI so I'm not much bothered by response times or super-precise display,but I don't want to pay a grand and find that the next generation of games won't run on it at all.

I explored cloud computing but it doesn't seem quite there yet - Shadow is wrestling with bankruptcy and has awaiting time of a year for new orders, and GEforce seems to have a limited list of game which it abruptly stops supporting from time to time.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Spineless lefty twits
    The Labour leader of the local council is the son of the senior imam in the area.
  • Options

The view from Ireland:

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0327/1206394-europe-vaccine-analysis/

Yet, the roll-out has inflicted enormous reputational damage on the EU, even if much of that damage has been fanned by a triumphalist UK press. Indeed, during this week’s summit, the Taoiseach reminded leaders about how exposed Ireland is to the anti-EU odium being pumped out of Fleet Street, and how demoralising it is.

There will be a long and painful inquest into how things might have been done differently, and it may well be that member states will need to grant more powers to Brussels as a result.

Always, Europe screws up, so more Europe is needed.

The whole problem here is that the EU took powers it didn’t need and was totally unsuited to holding.

The correct solution is to devolve powers away from the likes of von der Leyen, not arrogate more to them.
  • Options
    Waiting for GMS and YouGov to publish their German opinion polls for this month.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

The view from Ireland:

How does the EU screwing up the biggest task they've ever had to do result in Brussels getting more power?
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

But it is worth reading these types of writings and doing a little self-reflection. I have rarely had to gird myself into a defensive position before starting any activity (ok, a few times working in Iraq, or in the seedier parts of NYC, but not because of who I am). I have rarely had to worry about expected discrimination of any type. Diplomatic circles were probably the closest I have ever come to that - where people have preconceived notions of who you are based on your nationality. But it is not and never was my daily expectation.
    Thank the lord. A post with a modicum of insight on this topic rather than facetious dimwittery.
  • Options
    eek said:

The view from Ireland:

How does the EU screwing up the biggest task they've ever had to do result in Brussels getting more power?
    Doesn't it always?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    eek said:

The view from Ireland:

The answer is always more Europe

• Options
    MaxPB said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e67f5ee-8e6d-11eb-a1a3-928d43a3bbc1?shareToken=354bfacbcdf89616b76bc2d5e8c5df93

"Britons could have their faces scanned to allow them to access pubs, gigs and sports events under one government-funded plan being drawn up for vaccine passports."

This is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I've read in ages. I hope it's just a journalist getting the wrong end of the wrong stick. If the government introduces anything like this I'll meet everyone at the march to Parliament with torches and pitchforks in hand.

Who are the people thinking up these dystopian schemes?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,297
    Leon said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Indeed.

And yet, THIS is bloody scary

https://twitter.com/epkaufm/status/1375587812431511558?s=20

Worth reading the whole thing. The younger generation of academics is increasingly intolerant, way out on the left, and does not believe in Free Speech
    There's a lot of talk in that article about 'four hypothetical situations' and 'such as' and 'including', but it doesn't appear to say what these four hypothetical situations actually are. That seems a curious omission. We need more detail before being able to make a judgement.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e67f5ee-8e6d-11eb-a1a3-928d43a3bbc1?shareToken=354bfacbcdf89616b76bc2d5e8c5df93

"Britons could have their faces scanned to allow them to access pubs, gigs and sports events under one government-funded plan being drawn up for vaccine passports."

This is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I've read in ages. I hope it's just a journalist getting the wrong end of the wrong stick. If the government introduces anything like this I'll meet everyone at the march to Parliament with torches and pitchforks in hand.

Leave Gavin Williamson though. Burning’s far too good for him and anyway, the oil in his manner would cause an environmental catastrophe to rival Deepwater Horizon.
  • Options
    Incidentally, today's gov.uk Covid dashboard update is delayed. Northern Ireland failing to get its homework in on time.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

We know, you don't believe in the equal and non-contingent application of universal principles. But some of us do.
    You just refuse to engage with this issue on any level beyond the stupifyingly superficial. For a (very) bright bloke, I find it bizarre. For example, picking up on where we left off before, in a white majority dominant western country with a history of colonialism, imagine both of the following -

(i) A black person makes a big deal of proclaiming they are proud to be black.

(ii) A white person makes a big deal of proclaiming they are proud to be white.

Are these exact equivalents? Or is (ii) a rather different thing to (i) and more indicative of a racism problem?

To me, the answer is blindingly obvious. It's the latter. And tbh, if somebody can't see this, I don't think there is any chance of a productive conversation on the subject. All we can do is throw rocks.
  • Options

The view from Ireland:

So it's all really our fault again, for writing things that Irish people choose to read
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    If Perez had had the same gap to Verstappen in Q3 as Q2 (which he failed to escape) it would've been a Red Bull 1-2.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Who are the people thinking up these dystopian schemes?
    Photo ID, like a passport but for domestic use. It's the national ID card scheme, to be introduced using Covid as a pretext. And once they exist they'll be with us for good. They'll be required to vote, to access GP services, when you apply for a job and for umpteen other things. We'll be made to carry them everywhere, and the police and other public officials will be entitled to ask to see them. Watch.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Leon said:

Spineless lefty twits

Which ones?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/batley-grammar-school-protest-cartoon-teacher-b1823129.html

Tracy Brabin has come out strongly in support of the school and the Head teacher.

Can you produce some actual evidence for that comment or is it just your typical kneejerk anti-Labour hysteria? It never changes, does it?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Thank the lord. A post with a modicum of insight on this topic rather than facetious dimwittery.
    I agree. The Mystal piece is very, very good and insightful.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,358
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

Wait until you hear about the similar technology at least one bank has looked at rolling out that is very similar to that (this is pre plague.)

Also looked at putting the face of customers on debit and credit cards to stop in person fraud.

The advantage to the latter is that it would shift liability for frauds to the companies.

Surveys found customers liked it as an anti fraud procedure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The view from Ireland:

So it's all really our fault again, for writing things that Irish people choose to read
    Anglophobia always goes down a storm in Ireland.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The view from Ireland:

Apparently the EU vaccine failure is a fabrication of the Anglo-Saxon media based in London and New York. It's because the English language media is so powerful that the world sees the EU as failing on this, not because they've only vaccinated ~10% of people vs 45% in the UK and 35% in the US.
  • Options

Leon said:

The view from Ireland:

Anglophobia always goes down a storm in Ireland.
    To be fair to the Irish any Anglophobia there maybe is understandable.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Wait until you hear about the similar technology at least one bank has looked at rolling out that is very similar to that (this is pre plague.)

Also looked at putting the face of customers on debit and credit cards to stop in person fraud.

The advantage to the latter is that it would shift liability for frauds to the companies.

Surveys found customers liked it as anti fraud procedure.
    Again, that's a different prospect as it requires a person to look at a photo same as they do to sell booze or fags, it's not automatic face recognition cameras linked to a state run database. It's a version of China's social credit system. It's exactly the kind of stuff that I fear Hancock has been convinced to push under the guise of "saving the NHS" now that the zero COVID zealots have lost that particular argument they will move onto other authoritarian ideas to keep the people under control.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

You just refuse to engage with this issue on any level beyond the stupifyingly superficial. For a (very) bright bloke, I find it bizarre. For example, picking up on where we left off before, in a white majority dominant western country with a history of colonialism, imagine both of the following -

(i) A black person makes a big deal of proclaiming they are proud to be black.

(ii) A white person makes a big deal of proclaiming they are proud to be white.

Are these exact equivalents? Or is (ii) a rather different thing to (i) and more indicative of a racism problem?

To me, the answer is blindingly obvious. It's the latter. And tbh, if somebody can't see this, I don't think there is any chance of a productive conversation on the subject. All we can do is throw rocks.
    What's good about the piece is that it exposes the asymmetry. I am happy to believe that for her to go out is to "expose myself to interactions with potentially bad white people" and I know that for me to go out is not to expose myself to interactions with potentially bad non-white people.
  • Options

The view from Ireland:

That's a pisspoor article. When discussing the AZ/EU/UK dispute it completely ignores the crucial fact that the UK got its first deals in May 2020, pumped money into manufacture, teamed the company with Oxford, got them to produce it at cost, and all agreed to send the IP abroad, when the EU was still mulling its later, more limited procurement.

THAT is why AZ served the UK first.

It describes the American fantastic Warp Speed programme, but diligently takes out any reference to Britain doing exactly the same, only, perhaps, better

Grrr
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Leon said:

The view from Ireland:

That's a pisspoor article. When discussing the AZ/EU/UK dispute it completely ignores the crucial fact that the UK got its first deals in May 2020, pumped money into manufacture, teamed the company with Oxford, got them to produce it at cost, and all agreed to send the IP abroad, when the EU was still mulling its later, more limited procurement.

THAT is why AZ served the UK first.

It describes the American fantastic Warp Speed programme, but diligently takes out any reference to Britain doing exactly the same, only, perhaps, better

Grrr
    And another fact that is never mentioned is that AZN also failed to meet its promises to the UK.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841

Surveys found customers liked it as an anti fraud procedure.

So a national identity card containing vaccination details and every piece if ID with a photo attached.

That will be sold to a frightened public on the basis of being anti-fraud and people will support it. As I've already said, make people scared enough and they'll sign away (and willingly) every freedom they've ever had.

By the way, having read his comments, my estimation of Michael Howard has gone up several notches. The current Government is treating Covid as a form of terrorist attack and using it as a facade for the centralisation of more power in Westminster and Whitehall and the erosion of personal freedoms. The extension of the Covid legislation and Patel's clampdown on peaceful protests are part of this.
This discussion has been closed.