Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

May 2021 election benchmarks – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    kle4 said:

I do like the wiki page on the London mayoralty race. One chap supposedly running is summarised simply as 'YouTuber seeking to win more votes than Laurence Fox'. Another's last name is London, so I like to think they will get some votes just for that. There's a rapper named Drillminister, Count Binface of course, and more.

That’s quite the impressive candidate list, given there’s a £10,000 deposit for a Mayoral election.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    ydoethur said:

Well at least the F1 season starts next week and I can focus my love of sport there.

Oh and get paid £20 for every F1 race I watch.

Really? How?
    Rightful compensation to watch the most boring sport ever imho!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524

rcs1000 said:

I'd just like to make one last quick comment on the Greta joke.

If a fifty year old man came up to me, and said in a letchy way, "I can't wait until your daughter discovers cock", I'd be utterly horrified.

People on Twitter are reading the Lee Hurst joke in the same tone as that letchy fifty year old. They're not hearing the joke in context of him riffing in the way described by @TimT below.

This is a comedy club joke. I've laughed at things that were thoroughly offensive in comedy clubs. And you know what, they were funny in context. And that's OK.

If Lee Hurst was oogling Greta (and come to mention it, they do look somewhat alike), then it would highly offensive. But he wasn't. He was making a joke about how young people - when sex is involved - suddenly lose the long-term planning part of their brain.

Exactly.

The elephant in the room here as well (sorry to bring this up) is that he's a fervent and uncompromising Brexit supporter as well.

If Frankie Boyle had made a similar joke (and he probably would have done five years ago) he'd have been cut much more slack.
    Ye gods, how have you managed to crowbar Brexit into this one? I'd no idea that Hurst was a Brexiteer. His Greta joke is offensive because it's macho and sexist. I'd think the same whoever said it. Incidentally, I never said it should be banned/cancelled - I agree that people should be able to cause offence. Just as long as I can say Hurst is a sexist, chauvinistic little shit.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I really wish I hadn't looked at why Lee Hurst is trending.

It's not very funny... but it's not grossly offensive... just suggests that the individual is a normal young woman with all the rights and freedoms that entails
    It seems he has had his twitter suspended for it...like really....its a poor joke and that's about it. Its hardly Bernard Manning doing some p##i joke.
    Charles said:

It's not very funny... but it's not grossly offensive... just suggests that the individual is a normal young woman with all the rights and freedoms that entails
    "Hardly Bernard Manning" and " not grossly offensive"????

OK, come clean, which one of you is the Labour Party candidate for the forthcoming Hartlepool by-election?
    I didn't see the original tweet so relying on kentonline (which always seems to do surprising well on my google searches).

As I understand it, he suggested that an 18-year old single woman is likely to (a) like sex and (b) prefer to use contraception rather than abstain or risk pregnancy. He then suggested that this preference would take precedent over her environmental beliefs.

I have no insight into the individual's preference, but I would assume that the above statements would be accurate if applied to the vast majority of 18 year old women.
    I must confess, I didn't take the time to analyse Lee Hurst's joke. Call me woke by all means, but on first reading I found it both unfunny and unpleasant.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. It is both totally unfunny and deeply unpleasant.

However, I strongly believe that people have the right to be unfunny and offensive. The "correct" response would be to unfollow him and not buy his DVDs (if that is still a thing). It's not to complain to Twitter and try to get him banned.
    Incidentally on that subject am I the only person who thinks Frankie Boyle has made the journey from amusing if often grossly offensive youth to pompous, unfunny and still grossly offensive middle age?
    Frankie Boyle can still be seriously gross and undeniably funny at the same time, when he's on form
    The problem with that fat fuck is that he can dish it out but is absolutely unable to take it. Ego the size of a planet but it's made of glass.
    Is he the guy who did "why does everyone hate the english"? That was seriously dull.
    Finger on the pulse as ever..
    No, it had the potential to be interesting. But it was just dull. For example the French one was Boyle and that guy from Eurotrash firing arrows and making crap jokes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I do like the wiki page on the London mayoralty race. One chap supposedly running is summarised simply as 'YouTuber seeking to win more votes than Laurence Fox'. Another's last name is London, so I like to think they will get some votes just for that. There's a rapper named Drillminister, Count Binface of course, and more.

That’s quite the impressive candidate list, given there’s a £10,000 deposit for a Mayoral election.
    Not actually a candidates list - those who have 'said they are planning to stand'. Presumably a few will drop off.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    kinabalu said:

I've just seen TV footage of the big anti-lockdown march today. Some of them are wearing Union Jack caps. No words.

Clearly something to condemn. However unpopular the view might be the Clapham Common women were equally to be condemned. Having a just cause versus being an arse doesn't change the legality.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,210

Major PB news

The morning thread is a discussion about electoral voting systems, including AV.

2011 Referendum:

No2AV = 68%
    Yes2AV = 32%

#justsayin'
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Took an entire year for him to realise that? He must be pretty slow.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Hooray, we might soon get rid of all the hereditaries. Bunch of unelected people we cannot get rid of, I'm sure the Brexiteer will support this.

Britain’s system of hereditary peerages is outdated and must be abolished, two candidates to be the House of Lord’s next speaker say today.

The 85 dukes earls and barons who sit in the chamber by birthright “devalue” democracy and can no longer be justified, it is claimed.

The intervention by the two peers, who are standing to replace Lord Fowler as speaker, came as a Sunday Times investigation found that the hereditaries cost the taxpayer more and contribute less than life peers.

According to the most detailed data analysis of the institution to date:

● Hereditary peers have cost the taxpayer almost £50 million in expense claims since 2001

● The average hereditary has spoken in the chamber just 50 times over the last five years, compared to 81 times among life peers, and when they do speak, they are 60 per cent more likely to mention their own business or personal interests in the chamber.

The presence of the hereditaries in the Lords was supposed to be a temporary compromise after most were removed in 1999. However, two decades on, those remaining have the right to make or amend laws, and claim a tax-free payment of £323 a day plus travel for parliamentary work.

Baroness Heyter, who along with Lord Alderdice and Lord McFall is standing for speaker this week, said: “It’s not something that would be accepted by the British public today.”

Heyter, the shadow Lords leader, 71, said that byelections — the secretive process by which the hereditaries replenish their numbers whenever a member dies or retires — were “wrong”. Only members of the same party as the departed can vote and the number of peers per party is frozen at 1999 levels, meaning that, in some contests, the electorate can be just three.

As it stands, the contests are paused due to the pandemic. Heyter said that the house should vote on whether or not to resume them at all. Lord Alderdice, the Lib Dem candidate, called for their permanent suspension, saying hereditary peers should be allowed to “wither away”.

Lord McFall, the final candidate, said he “admired” the work of those advocating reform and said that byelections had become “absurd”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-the-truth-about-the-house-of-lords-peers-who-are-born-to-rule-nbdvcfrv3

I fail to see why replacing the remaining few hereditaries with yet more political appointments will improve the Lords, either the second chamber goes fully elected or you keep some hereditaries
    That's a very curious approach, when the very fact the chamber is now mostly appointed shows that heriditaries are not the defining element and you could remove it without also going full elected.
    No, as the hereditaries are the cornerstone of the Lords as are the Bishops, as long as the Lords retains an appointed element the best of them must remain.

I would far rather have a few hereditaries than yet another poiitical donor life peer
    So much a cornerstone of the Lords that they removed almost all of them and stated the ones who remained were a temporary measure only?

When not even all hereditaries in the Lords, let alone generally, do not support the status quo, I think it is a losing battle.
    Blair removed almost all of them, while also introducing devolved Assemblies and a Parliament in Wales, NI and Scotland without any such equivalent in England when he was trashing our constitution without full thought.

I am a Tory, I never saw the need to change the Lords as it was in 1999 and I certainly do not seek to change it now, the remaining hereditaries have had a stake in our nation for hundreds of years, they should stay
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Hooray, we might soon get rid of all the hereditaries. Bunch of unelected people we cannot get rid of, I'm sure the Brexiteer will support this.

Britain’s system of hereditary peerages is outdated and must be abolished, two candidates to be the House of Lord’s next speaker say today.

The 85 dukes earls and barons who sit in the chamber by birthright “devalue” democracy and can no longer be justified, it is claimed.

The intervention by the two peers, who are standing to replace Lord Fowler as speaker, came as a Sunday Times investigation found that the hereditaries cost the taxpayer more and contribute less than life peers.

● Hereditary peers have cost the taxpayer almost £50 million in expense claims since 2001

● The average hereditary has spoken in the chamber just 50 times over the last five years, compared to 81 times among life peers, and when they do speak, they are 60 per cent more likely to mention their own business or personal interests in the chamber.

The presence of the hereditaries in the Lords was supposed to be a temporary compromise after most were removed in 1999. However, two decades on, those remaining have the right to make or amend laws, and claim a tax-free payment of £323 a day plus travel for parliamentary work.

Baroness Heyter, who along with Lord Alderdice and Lord McFall is standing for speaker this week, said: “It’s not something that would be accepted by the British public today.”

Heyter, the shadow Lords leader, 71, said that byelections — the secretive process by which the hereditaries replenish their numbers whenever a member dies or retires — were “wrong”. Only members of the same party as the departed can vote and the number of peers per party is frozen at 1999 levels, meaning that, in some contests, the electorate can be just three.

As it stands, the contests are paused due to the pandemic. Heyter said that the house should vote on whether or not to resume them at all. Lord Alderdice, the Lib Dem candidate, called for their permanent suspension, saying hereditary peers should be allowed to “wither away”.

Lord McFall, the final candidate, said he “admired” the work of those advocating reform and said that byelections had become “absurd”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-the-truth-about-the-house-of-lords-peers-who-are-born-to-rule-nbdvcfrv3

I fail to see why replacing the remaining few hereditaries with yet more political appointments will improve the Lords, either the second chamber goes fully elected or you keep some hereditaries
    That's a very curious approach, when the very fact the chamber is now mostly appointed shows that heriditaries are not the defining element and you could remove it without also going full elected.
    They were included precisely because they were the grit in the system that was expected to provoke a proper reform of the house.

IIRC, a fully appointed house was voted on by the Commons and rejected... presumably if the House of Lords decided to stop byelections they would effectively be abnegating the will of the elected house?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

House of Lords = House of Unelected Has-Beens!
    Who do a far better job of rational consideration than the Commons...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2021
    Speaking of the anti-lockdown demo today, I don't quite understand why Our Nige has given up on the movement as a wedge to get back into the news again. I'm almost tempted to think he may finally have given up on selling his succession of political used cars, now that he sold his biggest troubled motor for hundreds of millions ; but I expect I shouldn't tempt fate, and he'll be back.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

No, it had the potential to be interesting. But it was just dull. For example the French one was Boyle and that guy from Eurotrash firing arrows and making crap jokes.

It was Al Murray who is English. The chances of a Scottish comedian either wanting or being commissioned to make something called ‘Why Does Everyone Hate The English’ are between zero and feckall.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

They were included precisely because they were the grit in the system that was expected to provoke a proper reform of the house.

IIRC, a fully appointed house was voted on by the Commons and rejected... presumably if the House of Lords decided to stop byelections they would effectively be abnegating the will of the elected house?
    I don't know if the Lords simply not holding by-elections would be legal. Of course, the Commons could indicate its will by taking action to make them do it again. Or they could let it happen as it doesn't really affect things all that much. Why, even hereditaries switch allegiance, as with the Duke of Wellington, who was elected to fill a Tory hereditary, but now sits as non-affiliated.

People voting on something once doesn't mean it is set for all time, as we know. In parliamentary terms you are explicitly allowed to vote on something again in a future session rather than over and over again in the same one, so they could do that too.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited March 2021
    Re: London mayor race (and extended to elections in general). Is there any rule against a candidate changing their name to “None Oftheabove” and chancing their luck?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dionysus loose upon the streets of London

https://twitter.com/PAImages/status/1373323497624240136?s=20

I don’t think they Bacchus over lockdown.
    The Anti-Lockdown Movement has gone right down the Pan!
    Juno, I think you’re right.
    Move on, nothing to see Hera...
    What an Apolloing joke. Get thee hence to ConHome and let your muses Echo there
  • Options

Speaking of the anti-lockdown demo today, I don't quite understand why Our Nige has given up on the movement as a wedge to get back into the news again. I'm almost tempted to think he may finally have given up on selling his succession of political used cars, now that he sold his biggest troubled motor for hundreds of millions ; but I expect I shouldn't tempt fate, and he'll be back.

The vaccine rollout has really changed things, the public realise and understand lockdown will be over soon enough once enough of us are fully vaccinated.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It seems he has had his twitter suspended for it...like really....its a poor joke and that's about it. Its hardly Bernard Manning doing some p##i joke.
    Charles said:

OK, come clean, which one of you is the Labour Party candidate for the forthcoming Hartlepool by-election?
    I didn't see the original tweet so relying on kentonline (which always seems to do surprising well on my google searches).

As I understand it, he suggested that an 18-year old single woman is likely to (a) like sex and (b) prefer to use contraception rather than abstain or risk pregnancy. He then suggested that this preference would take precedent over her environmental beliefs.

I have no insight into the individual's preference, but I would assume that the above statements would be accurate if applied to the vast majority of 18 year old women.
    I must confess, I didn't take the time to analyse Lee Hurst's joke. Call me woke by all means, but on first reading I found it both unfunny and unpleasant.

However, I strongly believe that people have the right to be unfunny and offensive. The "correct" response would be to unfollow him and not buy his DVDs (if that is still a thing). It's not to complain to Twitter and try to get him banned.
    Incidentally on that subject am I the only person who thinks Frankie Boyle has made the journey from amusing if often grossly offensive youth to pompous, unfunny and still grossly offensive middle age?
    Frankie Boyle can still be seriously gross and undeniably funny at the same time, when he's on form
    The problem with that fat fuck is that he can dish it out but is absolutely unable to take it. Ego the size of a planet but it's made of glass.
    Is he the guy who did "why does everyone hate the english"? That was seriously dull.
    Charles, Charles, Charles, that was a ridiculous post.

Surely a man of your intelligence and particularly your lineage knows that you do not ‘fire’ arrows. You ‘loose’ or ‘shoot’ them.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863
    https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1373335686263230465

How long does Eddie Jones have left?
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, but just pause for a moment and reflect that without changes, the likes of Patel, Raab, Mogg and Williamson will be entitled to seats in the Lords.

For life.

And that on its own tells me the Lords has to go.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

The vaccine rollout has really changed things, the public realise and understand lockdown will be over soon enough once enough of us are fully vaccinated.
    You're probably right on that. I somehow expected he'd hold onto it as a quixotic "anti-establishment" minority interest and dwindling crusade for longer, but he's nothing if not calculating in his choices.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He's toast, but the blame really should fall on the players. Wearing an England shirt should mean something, and it certainly doesn't mean whatever the current crop think it does.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scottish nationalists: We are civic nationalists; we are not anti-English!

Also Scottish nationalists: Well, we do hate the English actually - just like everyone else.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes, but just pause for a moment and reflect that without changes, the likes of Patel, Raab, Mogg and Williamson will be entitled to seats in the Lords.

For life.

Jeremy Corbyn as well.
  • Options

Charles said:

It was Al Murray who is English. The chances of a Scottish comedian either wanting or being commissioned to make something called ‘Why Does Everyone Hate The English’ are between zero and feckall.
    Fair enough. It was still crap whoever did it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I don't know if the Lords simply not holding by-elections would be legal. Of course, the Commons could indicate its will by taking action to make them do it again. Or they could let it happen as it doesn't really affect things all that much. Why, even hereditaries switch allegiance, as with the Duke of Wellington, who was elected to fill a Tory hereditary, but now sits as non-affiliated.

People voting on something once doesn't mean it is set for all time, as we know. In parliamentary terms you are explicitly allowed to vote on something again in a future session rather than over and over again in the same one, so they could do that too.
    I think by-elections were included in the legislation though
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You'd Artemis me if I went.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    RobD said:

With the (now suspended over sex-pest allegations) Westminster SNP MP Whip constantly arguing "Age of consent is 16 - nothing to see here!"
  • Options

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not a sissy-push off... atlas we'll have some peace...
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure they were given the complexities of it all, but would the government bother to, what, take the Lord Speaker et al to court for not carrying out their lawful duty to undertake by-elections? Of course, it may be they cannot stop it, depending how they are triggered.

But the threat of it may be enough for the government to ponder that there are plenty of Lords themselves who want change, so maybe it would be a good idea to do a minor one to manage it, like when Lords were allowed to retire, or be expelled.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Charles said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Your Hectoring Achilles me... :cry:
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I do love this reassuring line in this BBC story on events in Tanzania, I know it would have been my main concern.

[Samia Suluhu Hassan] becomes Africa's only current female national leader - the Ethiopian presidency is a largely ceremonial role - and joins a short list of women on the continent to have run their countries...

The 61-year-old is affectionately known as Mama Samia - in Tanzanian culture that reflects the respect she is held in, rather than reducing her to a gendered role.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56444575?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Does Merkel really get called mutti I wonder?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No, as the hereditaries are the cornerstone of the Lords as are the Bishops, as long as the Lords retains an appointed element the best of them must remain.

I would far rather have a few hereditaries than yet another poiitical donor life peer
    So much a cornerstone of the Lords that they removed almost all of them and stated the ones who remained were a temporary measure only?

When not even all hereditaries in the Lords, let alone generally, do not support the status quo, I think it is a losing battle.
    Blair removed almost all of them, while also introducing devolved Assemblies and a Parliament in Wales, NI and Scotland without any such equivalent in England when he was trashing our constitution without full thought.

I am a Tory, I never saw the need to change the Lords as it was in 1999 and I certainly do not seek to change it now, the remaining hereditaries have had a stake in our nation for hundreds of years, they should stay
    Strangely, I agree.

I see the fact they hold a large stake in the country and their families part of the Lords hundreds of years as reasons to keep, and not expunge, them. I value that anchored continuity and stability.

He's not aristocracy but I'd far rather have a member of Charles's family in there, say, than Evgeny Lebedev or a has-been retread elected on a low turnout. I'd be happy with, say, 30-40 Lords Terra from our oldest families as well as the 26 Lords Spiritual.

You can faddishise democracy to an ideological extent, which is how we ended up with elected PCCs.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Major PB news

The morning thread is a discussion about electoral voting systems, including AV.

AV thread on Sunday, vaccination on Monday. It doesn't get any better.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure they were given the complexities of it all, but would the government bother to, what, take the Lord Speaker et al to court for not carrying out their lawful duty to undertake by-elections? Of course, it may be they cannot stop it, depending how they are triggered.

But the threat of it may be enough for the government to ponder that there are plenty of Lords themselves who want change, so maybe it would be a good idea to do a minor one to manage it, like when Lords were allowed to retire, or be expelled.
    It seems about 400 years ago now that getting rid of the first tranche of hereditaries was supposed to be a short-term "stepping stone".

Accounting for the typical British pace, the rest will be gone in around 2100, around the time our descendants are living in eco-friendly, hi-tech pods to escape the wild swings of a changed climate.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    HYUFD said:

Gosh, I realised some are getting on a bit, but not quite that much.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scottish nationalists: We are civic nationalists; we are not anti-English!

Also Scottish nationalists: Well, we do hate the English actually - just like everyone else.
    That Al Murray, what a big fat anti English racist he is, eh? Having a vaguely Scottish surname will do that to you.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Strangely, I agree.

I see the fact they hold a large stake in the country and their families part of the Lords hundreds of years as reasons to keep, and not expunge, them. I value that anchored continuity and stability.

He's not aristocracy but I'd far rather have a member of Charles's family in there, say, than Evgeny Lebedev or a has-been retread elected on a low turnout. I'd be happy with, say, 30-40 Lords Terra from our oldest families as well as the 26 Lords Spiritual.

You can faddishise democracy to an ideological extent, which is how we ended up with elected PCCs.
    There are options to avoid retreaded has beens or well connected rich people (well, the wrong well connected rich people) if we want to do that.

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It seems about 400 years ago now that getting rid of the first tranche of hereditaries was supposed to be a short-term "stepping stone".
    I know, it's hilarious.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Depends if the Has-Beens actually attend?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

We'll always have Paris!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    Leon said:

OMG England This is embarrassing. Just walk off the pitch

“Brutality”

“Kicking”

“Jones”

Be gone.

We are shit and we are boring.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Charles said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

We'll always have Paris!
    I shall Troy to always remember it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited March 2021
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

My family have also had a stake in the nation for hundreds of years, yet we do not get representation in the Lords...

Long overdue for abolition.
    Or your elevation is long overdue, Baron Foxy.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited March 2021
    Foxy said:

My family have also had a stake in the nation for hundreds of years, yet we do not get representation in the Lords...

Taking back control from our unelected rulers used to be a thing.

Do we live in a democracy if we cannot kick out our (un)elected rulers?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Completely agree with this. There are many many families that have done their bit for the country and never had the slightest recognition. The idea that the upper classes have somehow slaved away preserving the nation over generations is risible.

• Options
    Some of our wonderful and altruistic hereditaries.

Those who defend the institution say that its members form part of British history and are less partial than peers installed by party leaders. But our analysis suggests that many of the 85 (mostly Conservative) members lobby disproportionately for their interests.

They include Lord Palmer, 69, a shareholder in British American Tobacco and convenor of the Lords and Commons Cigar Club, who has said the economy would “literally collapse” if smoking was banned and called for lighter regulation on tobacco packaging now that Britain has left the EU.

Another is Lord Waverley, 71, who defied the warnings of the British government to visit Russia and signed a trade agreement on behalf of his own company in the wake of the Skripal poisonings.

Lord Carrington, 73, is among many landowners whose participation in debates and scrutiny has often focused on land and the issue of government subsidies for farming.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Completely agree with this. There are many many families that have done their bit for the country and never had the slightest recognition. The idea that the upper classes have somehow slaved away preserving the nation over generations is risible.

Certainly since World War II, and then fully since the demise of the most socially bound and responsible Tory Wets, it is. Residual upper-class dominance in the officer class might be the last claim, but most of Britain's wars since 1945 haven't benefitted it.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Certainly since World War II, and then completely and utterly since the demise of the most socially responsible Tory Wets, it is. Residual upper-class dominance in the officer class might be the last claim, but most of Britain's wars since 1945 haven't benefitted it.
    Lions governed by (unelected) Donkeys.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    kle4 said:

Wings has been on about this for a while, and it's potentially a huge timebomb. The SNP is almost broke and nobody outside the Sturgeon-Murrell clique knows where the money went, including some £600,000 donated by indy supporters to a 'ringfenced' fund for fighting another indyref.
    Enough people support Sindy it seems like it would be pretty easy to find a single mega doner to shore things up if they got into serious difficulty.
    that is the problem , they have few if any donors left, people know how dodgy they all are. They are skint , pretending lots of people are joining and they have spent the ring fenced 600K referendum cash on huge wages for Murrell and assorted buddies , paying defamation cases etc.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Certainly since World War II, and then completely and utterly since the demise of the most socially responsible Tory Wets, it is. Residual upper-class dominance in the officer class might be the last claim, but most of Britain's wars since 1945 haven't benefitted it.
    It's a little worse than that. The self-selected priviledged financed by the poor.

I'm a Tory. I'm quite happy with the setup as to Lords vs Commons. I'm not at all happy with the ridiculous gravy train. The Lords should be much smaller and personally I'd just restrict it to ex-MPs.
  • Options

Lee Hurst:

"As soon as Greta discovers cock, she'll stop complaining about the single use plastic it's wrapped in."

Anybody (i.e. several on here) who doesn't find that grossly offensive has no moral compass. This is a man in his 50s addressing a woman of 18. Without a named subject, it wouldn't be quite so bad - just juvenile. Try imagining it was directed at your own daughter? Misogynistic doesn't begin to describe it.

He needs his horoscope read
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2021
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Hang on, wait, have you hit on an alternative? Every family gets a seat? It’ll be a bit cramped in there but I’m sure their Lordships can budge up.

(On a semi serious note, I have occasionally wondered about every voter getting an online vote in place of the second chamber. No ability to introduce anything, but a national veto on everything until the Parliament Act is used. You could even make it so that, say, a vote of 66% can even override the Parliament Act).
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    kle4 said:

I object to Piers Corbyn, mayoral candidate for the Let London Live party, being granted such publicity during purdah.

Oh, and also that arsehole Cox bloke.
    Purdah hasn't started yet.
  • Options
    Tres said:

kle4 said:

I object to Piers Corbyn, mayoral candidate for the Let London Live party, being granted such publicity during purdah.

Oh, and also that arsehole Cox bloke.
    Purdah hasn't started yet.
    It wasn't a serious objection, though that said some councils are treating things as purdah now as they tend not to be precise on the dates these things begin.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    You’re unable to view this Tweet because this account owner limits who can view their Tweets. Learn more
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

ydoethur said:

Well at least the F1 season starts next week and I can focus my love of sport there.

Oh and get paid £20 for every F1 race I watch.

Really? How?
    A pollster pays me, I wear a biometric device for the race and I record my responses during the race via an app on my phone.

https://yonderconsulting.com/case-study/formula-1/

https://yonderdatasolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/PDS_Biometrics_Whitepaper.pdf
    Narcolepsy research ?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Some of our wonderful and altruistic hereditaries.

Those who defend the institution say that its members form part of British history and are less partial than peers installed by party leaders. But our analysis suggests that many of the 85 (mostly Conservative) members lobby disproportionately for their interests.

They include Lord Palmer, 69, a shareholder in British American Tobacco and convenor of the Lords and Commons Cigar Club, who has said the economy would “literally collapse” if smoking was banned and called for lighter regulation on tobacco packaging now that Britain has left the EU.

Another is Lord Waverley, 71, who defied the warnings of the British government to visit Russia and signed a trade agreement on behalf of his own company in the wake of the Skripal poisonings.

Lord Carrington, 73, is among many landowners whose participation in debates and scrutiny has often focused on land and the issue of government subsidies for farming.

Farming needs representation and support and is the backbone of our nation, smoking is not illegal and nor is trade with Russia.

Though dismissal of our ancient families and institutions is no more than I would expect from a republican Liberal, non Tory such as yourself
  • Options
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,837

Leon said:

“Brutality”

“Kicking”

“Jones”

Be gone.

And yet, so much talent. I read an article the other day accusing Jones of being Sven Goran Eriksson, who turned a golden age of English football talent into perennial quarter-finalists, when they should have won cups; he got so far, then no further

Jones is like that?

England also remind me of the recent French side (until this year). Plenty of ability but stilted, idea-less, over-coached, nervous, ill-disciplined, pinched.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It is called the Lords for a reason and that includes representation of the most ancient peerages within the realm there.

If you want an elected Senate fine but as long as we have an appointed Lords as our second chamber then the hereditaries must remain a part of it.

The second chamber can only delay legislation anyway, an elected Senate would try and move towards a US style system and block Commons legislation completely
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Hang on, wait, have you hit on an alternative? Every family gets a seat? It’ll be a bit cramped in there but I’m sure their Lordships can budge up.

(On a semi serious note, I have occasionally wondered about every voter getting an online vote in place of the second chamber. No ability to introduce anything, but a national veto on everything until the Parliament Act is used. You could even make it so that, say, a vote of 66% can even override the Parliament Act).
    Personally I think a revising chamber is just a get out for an incompetent Commons. I think the Commons should get it right in the first place, and am a Unicameralist.

If we are to have a second chamber it should be by random selection like Jury service.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,827
    Evening all :)

I don't suppose it's worth mentioning but compared to the Rugby and Cricket, the biggest sporting shellacking England has suffered this week has been in the horse racing at Cheltenham.

The Irish won everything and for them no doubt it was long overdue revenge for Bucks Fizz winning the Eurovision in Dublin forty years ago.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Unfortunately as Carlotta well knows, the SNP cannot fire MSP's.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Leon said:

“Brutality”

“Kicking”

“Jones”

Be gone.

Just two words and all will be fine again.

"Shaun" and "Edwards".
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It's a little worse than that. The self-selected priviledged financed by the poor.

I'm a Tory. I'm quite happy with the setup as to Lords vs Commons. I'm not at all happy with the ridiculous gravy train. The Lords should be much smaller and personally I'd just restrict it to ex-MPs.
    OK, pop quiz, hotshots!

Which is the only sovereign country on the planet to have an Upper House with more members than its Lower House?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    Leon said:

Leon said:

“Brutality”

“Kicking”

“Jones”

Be gone.

And yet, so much talent. I read an article the other day accusing Jones of being Sven Goran Eriksson, who turned a golden age of English football talent into perennial quarter-finalists, when they should have won cups; he got so far, then no further

Jones is like that?

England also remind me of the recent French side (until this year). Plenty of ability but stilted, idea-less, over-coached, nervous, ill-disciplined, pinched.
    Absolutely. We have the players. The coaching is the problem. The kicking game fails more frequently than it succeeds. And it’s horrible to watch.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

OK, pop quiz, hotshots!

Which is the only sovereign country on the planet to have an Upper House with more members than its Lower House?
    Well the UK does so it must be the answer.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Personally I think a revising chamber is just a get out for an incompetent Commons. I think the Commons should get it right in the first place, and am a Unicameralist.

If we are to have a second chamber it should be by random selection like Jury service.
    Don’t disagree. I can equally imagine some regional models, but on the same theme. I’m only taking my turn in the Lords if I get the ermine as a souvenir though.
  • Options

Leon said:

“Brutality”

“Kicking”

“Jones”

Be gone.

"Shaun" and "Edwards".
    He's gone to France. Is there some reason England never employs this clearly brilliant English coach?!!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941

Leon said:

“Brutality”

“Kicking”

“Jones”

Be gone.

"Shaun" and "Edwards".
    NOT a fan of the RFU.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    malcolmg said:
    But is he going to turn up to vote for Nicola next week on the VoNC? My guess is not. Not enough but many a mickle makes a muckle.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

“Brutality”

“Kicking”

“Jones”

Be gone.

"Shaun" and "Edwards".
    NOT a fan of the RFU.
    ...and vice versa.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Wings has been on about this for a while, and it's potentially a huge timebomb. The SNP is almost broke and nobody outside the Sturgeon-Murrell clique knows where the money went, including some £600,000 donated by indy supporters to a 'ringfenced' fund for fighting another indyref.
    Enough people support Sindy it seems like it would be pretty easy to find a single mega doner to shore things up if they got into serious difficulty.
    that is the problem , they have few if any donors left, people know how dodgy they all are. They are skint , pretending lots of people are joining and they have spent the ring fenced 600K referendum cash on huge wages for Murrell and assorted buddies , paying defamation cases etc.
    Wasn't the original financial support for Sindy hugely dependent on the chance of one couple winning the Euromillions?
  • Options
    These teams are playing a different sport to dour, boring England

But we have the talent to do this. SO DO IT
  • Options
    edited March 2021

ydoethur said:

For life.

Jeremy Corbyn as well.
    I was assuming he would refuse a peerage a la Michael Foot, Neville Chamberlain or John Major.

Mogg, however...
  • Options
    What super rugby
  • Options
    Unbelievable opening 20 minutes
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The point is that they've been key stakeholders in the country for centuries and continue to be responsible for the administration of large areas of the land - and thus have a deep interest in the communities in which they're rooted that extends over multiple lifespans. That's a particularly distinct position of responsibility in our society.

I'm a high Tory and I think things acquire value the longer they're in place, and there should be a corresponding higher test for change - particularly where the alternative is disputed or of questionable value.

So, I don't see the harm in keeping a select number of them indefinitely, and I think that a handful of Dukes, Earls, Marquesses and Viscounts adds to the quaintly idiosyncratic nature of the British constitution, which we'd miss if it was wholly lost.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For life.

Jeremy Corbyn as well.
    I was assuming he would refuse a peerage a la Michael Foot, Neville Chamberlain or John Major.

Mogg, however...
    I think he'll do a Prescott/Kinnock.

Say he'll never accept a peerage but then change his mind so his voice can influence the country via th Lords.
  • Options

What super rugby

I’d agree if the score line was the other way around.

Still, at least the French are trying to make TSE a bit less miserable.

I wonder if they’ll delight him enough to change his mind on the AV thread.
  • Options
    I’ve tried but I can’t do it. No matter how insufferable it will make the Welsh if they win, I can’t wish the French well against a British side.

Well I probably couldn’t wish the French well ever actually.
  • Options

What super rugby

Gorgeous. English Fizz rugby!

Like an old fashioned Barbarians game
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    This France team is so good to watch. A France-England final in the 2023 RWC would be thrilling.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Don’t disagree. I can equally imagine some regional models, but on the same theme. I’m only taking my turn in the Lords if I get the ermine as a souvenir though.
    The House of Lords ermine is now permanently connected in my mind with that image of Thatcher, sitting in there alone and at the wrong time, with the ermine wrapped around her , and in her latter years. A strange and dreamlike image that sticks with you as a metaphor.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What super rugby

I’d agree if the score line was the other way around.

Still, at least the French are trying to make TSE a bit less miserable.

I wonder if they’ll delight him enough to change his mind on the AV thread.
    All to play for
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

An alternative representation would be local councillors having a representation. 1 senator per 200 000 population perhaps, selected by their fellow councillors. This would mean regional representation, and experienced in committee representation. It would also encourage interest in becoming a local Councillor.
  • Options
    The ref is doing a genius job. Keeping it all speeding along
  • Options

I’ve tried but I can’t do it. No matter how insufferable it will make the Welsh if they win, I can’t wish the French well against a British side.

I won't be insufferable I promise
  • Options

Dyn ni’n frodyr nawr!
  • Options

You’re a far nobler human being than I am.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    tlg86 said:

I imagine the Police are going to violently arrest the anti-vax anti-lockdown guys in London today?

Yes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9383261/Dozens-MPs-write-Priti-Patel-demanding-protests-allowed-Covid-crisis.html
    I always go in with some high hopes whenever I click on a link like that that the covidiots are going to have the shit beat out of them
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    This week I haves been mostly eating...BOURBON BISCUITS
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

I've just seen TV footage of the big anti-lockdown march today. Some of them are wearing Union Jack caps. No words.

Clearly something to condemn. However unpopular the view might be the Clapham Common women were equally to be condemned. Having a just cause versus being an arse doesn't change the legality.
    No Union Jack caps at the Clapham Common event. Wholly different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Best result for the average Englishman is for France to narrowly win this game, giving Wales the title but, crucially, denying Wales the Grand Slam.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You’re a far nobler human being than I am.
    Maybe put the anthem on repeat for a day or two

My late Scots father in law always said it is the finest anthem in the world
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

This France team is so good to watch. A France-England final in the 2023 RWC would be thrilling.

Not if it's the England team we saw today

1. England would never get that far
    2. England play boring boring, losing rugby, as of now
    3. France would hammer us, if we did get that far, and it would be tediously one-sided

France will likely win in 2023. Home advantage. A young well coached team with oodles of talent. Dupont.
This discussion has been closed.