Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

May 2021 election benchmarks – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

This week I haves been mostly eating...BOURBON BISCUITS
    I only eat biscuits named for historical figures, so Bourbons and Garibaldis are basically it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:
    On the basis of UNS, this poll implies 32 Labour gains from the Tories with a 3.3% swing.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526

I find that I have to keep the Bourbon biscuits well away from the Garibaldi biscuits because if you put them in the same tin they keep fighting each other and the custard creams get caught in the cross fire.

BTW Wiki describes Oreos as a 'sandwich cookie'.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,201

kle4 said:

I only eat biscuits named for historical figures, so Bourbons and Garibaldis are basically it.
    Custer creams?

I'll get me coat.
    What about jammy Dodgers?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kle4 said:

Nice
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    That’s a bit more like it.

Whatever else it’s not exactly been dull.

Edit - bollocks, should have kept my mouth shut.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

This France team is so good to watch. A France-England final in the 2023 RWC would be thrilling.

Not if it's the England team we saw today

1. England would never get that far
    2. England play boring boring, losing rugby, as of now
    3. France would hammer us, if we did get that far, and it would be tediously one-sided

France will likely win in 2023. Home advantage. A young well coached team with oodles of talent. Dupont.
    Once Jones shakes off his obsession with 2019 RWC SA's 6 phases and a kick style of play we'll be fine, England still have one of the best pools of talent in rugby. And in rugby experience is crucial, England in 2023 will still be far savvier than France (see last week).
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    True story. A friend of mine once had sex with an Australian who only agreed to it because she thought that he too was an Australian. He wasn't but lied and said he was. Does that amount to some kind of sexual abuse?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Leon said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Nice
    So many people forget Sir Alexander Tollemache Carlyon de Chocolate-Hobnob, Admiral of the Blue and renegade leader of the Patagonian Revolutionary War in 1822
    I assume the de Chocolate-Hobnobs are a cadet branch of the Hobnob dynasty?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,507
    edited March 2021

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Hooray, we might soon get rid of all the hereditaries. Bunch of unelected people we cannot get rid of, I'm sure the Brexiteer will support this.

Britain’s system of hereditary peerages is outdated and must be abolished, two candidates to be the House of Lord’s next speaker say today.

The 85 dukes earls and barons who sit in the chamber by birthright “devalue” democracy and can no longer be justified, it is claimed.

The intervention by the two peers, who are standing to replace Lord Fowler as speaker, came as a Sunday Times investigation found that the hereditaries cost the taxpayer more and contribute less than life peers.

According to the most detailed data analysis of the institution to date:

● Hereditary peers have cost the taxpayer almost £50 million in expense claims since 2001

● The average hereditary has spoken in the chamber just 50 times over the last five years, compared to 81 times among life peers, and when they do speak, they are 60 per cent more likely to mention their own business or personal interests in the chamber.

The presence of the hereditaries in the Lords was supposed to be a temporary compromise after most were removed in 1999. However, two decades on, those remaining have the right to make or amend laws, and claim a tax-free payment of £323 a day plus travel for parliamentary work.

Baroness Heyter, who along with Lord Alderdice and Lord McFall is standing for speaker this week, said: “It’s not something that would be accepted by the British public today.”

Heyter, the shadow Lords leader, 71, said that byelections — the secretive process by which the hereditaries replenish their numbers whenever a member dies or retires — were “wrong”. Only members of the same party as the departed can vote and the number of peers per party is frozen at 1999 levels, meaning that, in some contests, the electorate can be just three.

As it stands, the contests are paused due to the pandemic. Heyter said that the house should vote on whether or not to resume them at all. Lord Alderdice, the Lib Dem candidate, called for their permanent suspension, saying hereditary peers should be allowed to “wither away”.

Lord McFall, the final candidate, said he “admired” the work of those advocating reform and said that byelections had become “absurd”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-the-truth-about-the-house-of-lords-peers-who-are-born-to-rule-nbdvcfrv3

I fail to see why replacing the remaining few hereditaries with yet more political appointments will improve the Lords, either the second chamber goes fully elected or you keep some hereditaries
    That's a very curious approach, when the very fact the chamber is now mostly appointed shows that heriditaries are not the defining element and you could remove it without also going full elected.
    No, as the hereditaries are the cornerstone of the Lords as are the Bishops, as long as the Lords retains an appointed element the best of them must remain.

I would far rather have a few hereditaries than yet another poiitical donor life peer
    So much a cornerstone of the Lords that they removed almost all of them and stated the ones who remained were a temporary measure only?

When not even all hereditaries in the Lords, let alone generally, do not support the status quo, I think it is a losing battle.
    I am a Tory, I never saw the need to change the Lords as it was in 1999 and I certainly do not seek to change it now, the remaining hereditaries have had a stake in our nation for hundreds of years, they should stay
    My family have also had a stake in the nation for hundreds of years, yet we do not get representation in the Lords...

Long overdue for abolition.
    Completely agree with this. There are many many families that have done their bit for the country and never had the slightest recognition. The idea that the upper classes have somehow slaved away preserving the nation over generations is risible.

Certainly since World War II, and then completely and utterly since the demise of the most socially responsible Tory Wets, it is. Residual upper-class dominance in the officer class might be the last claim, but most of Britain's wars since 1945 haven't benefitted it.
    Lions governed by (unelected) Donkeys.
    It's a little worse than that. The self-selected priviledged financed by the poor.

I'm a Tory. I'm quite happy with the setup as to Lords vs Commons. I'm not at all happy with the ridiculous gravy train. The Lords should be much smaller and personally I'd just restrict it to ex-MPs.
    OK, pop quiz, hotshots!

Which is the only sovereign country on the planet to have an Upper House with more members than its Lower House?
    The size of the Lords gravy train is tiny compared to the Commons - like a quarter of the size?

They only get paid when they attend.

I think the idea of an assembly with a wide range of subject expert is great.

Bugger conformity. Though some reforms could be an improvement.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    A wonderful game of rugby in Paris.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

True story. A friend of mine once had sex with an Australian who only agreed to it because she thought that he too was an Australian. He wasn't but lied and said he was. Does that amount to some kind of sexual abuse?

Sounds like rape to me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-jailed-for-raping-woman-over-refusal-to-wear-condom-1.3425186
  • Options
    kle4 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CvBKpKbn8
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,113
    Lieutenant Colonel James Bohannon "Jammy" Dodger famously led the Navajo Nation in their attack on the Texan frontier forts in 1854, he was so named for his absurd luck in "dodging" US cavalry bullets shot at close quarters.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,271
    ydoethur said:

I’ve tried but I can’t do it. No matter how insufferable it will make the Welsh if they win, I can’t wish the French well against a British side.

Well I probably couldn’t wish the French well ever actually.

Dyn ni’n frodyr nawr!
    Dim biscuit, dim problem!
  • Options

Wasn't she being a racist?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Leon said:

Lieutenant Colonel James Bohannon "Jammy" Dodger famously led the Navajo Nation in their attack on the Texan frontier forts in 1854, he was so named for his absurd luck in "dodging" US cavalry bullets shot at close quarters.

Only "lucky" because he would hide behind the Wagon Wheels.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Nice
    So many people forget Sir Alexander Tollemache Carlyon de Chocolate-Hobnob, Admiral of the Blue and renegade leader of the Patagonian Revolutionary War in 1822
    I assume the de Chocolate-Hobnobs are a cadet branch of the Hobnob dynasty?
    Yes indeed, and close cousins, of course, of the recusant Catholic Digestives of Arundel, who fought the Henrician and Elizabethan Reformation
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TUC
  • Options
    isam said:
    Cameron has a reputation to shred? News to all but TSE...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    The incel thing definitely seems to be a thing, but one wonders whether the pasty, overweight Nazi chicken comes before you think I’d shag that egg.

https://twitter.com/tejmuk/status/1373372389363490819?s=21
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939
    I could really do with a cup of tea and a nice biscuit after all this in depth political analysis. Anyone interested?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2021
    isam said:
    Interesting that Sunak simply directed him to the Treasury. The chumocracy in action.
  • Options

isam said:
    Interesting that Sunak simply passed him on to the Treasury. The chumocracy in action.
    If someone lobbies a politician inappropriately shouldn't they direct people to make formal representation to officials?
  • Options

I could really do with a cup of tea and a nice biscuit after all this in depth political analysis. Anyone interested?

I’d rather have a shortbread.
  • Options

isam said:
    Interesting that Sunak simply directed him to the Treasury. The chumocracy in action.
    Absolutely the right thing to do
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

isam said:
    Interesting that Sunak simply passed him on to the Treasury. The chumocracy in action.
    If someone lobbies a politician inappropriately shouldn't they direct people to make formal representation to officials?
    That depends on what grounds and under what premise they're being directed on.
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:
    It depends on what grounds they're being directed on.
    In which case doesn't the 'chumocracy' allegation need to be held back until we know that, or does the story expand on that?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

kle4 said:

TUC
    Named, of course, for Sir Thomas Urquhart-Cameron (1821-1902,) the celebrated Scottish entrepreneur and inventor. Also notable for designing the first propeller-driven steamship to be built on the Clyde, and for his pioneering contributions to the development of the orthopaedic mattress.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Add in a Red Wall Barnett Formula and that might not be a completely terrible idea.

In isolation, though, it would look awful.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421

kle4 said:

TUC
    When I was little, I always wondered why the Trades Union Congress had a brand of biscuits.

I was a strange child.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

isam said:
    It depends on what grounds they're being directed on.
    In which case doesn't the 'chumocracy' allegation need to be held back until we know that, or does the story expand on that?
    The story says very little on this, other than that Sunak first supported those believing the company didn't qualify, and then directed Cameron onto a senior group. That could be interpreted one of two ways, and given the government's recent record in this exact area, they shouldn't be too surprised at those less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

isam said:
    How is it a “system in disrepute”? The “system” appears to have told him to jog on.
  • Options

kle4 said:

TUC
    Named, of course, for Sir Thomas Urquhart-Cameron (1821-1902,) the celebrated Scottish entrepreneur and inventor. Also notable for designing the first propeller-driven steamship to be built on the Clyde, and for his pioneering contributions to the development of the orthopaedic mattress.
    This breaks the established law, which I have tacitly laid down, that all biscuits are actually named after famous radical or revolutionary figures. So you are, I am afraid, wrong

An example:

Richie "Rich" T Booker, a famous Civil Rights champion who led the march in Mobile, Alabama against the brutal "Dunkers of the South"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The Conservatives in both Scotland and Wales have talked about splitting off at various points, which would create an English party by default. I'm amazed they've not done it. Devolution's not going away, so the best way to approach it (and, by extension, both to try to preserve some sort of Union and to bolster their ascendancy in England) is to accept that UK-wide parties have had it, and that a CDU/CSU type arrangement between sister parties within an inevitably looser Union is the way forward.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Hooray, we might soon get rid of all the hereditaries. Bunch of unelected people we cannot get rid of, I'm sure the Brexiteer will support this.

Britain’s system of hereditary peerages is outdated and must be abolished, two candidates to be the House of Lord’s next speaker say today.

The 85 dukes earls and barons who sit in the chamber by birthright “devalue” democracy and can no longer be justified, it is claimed.

The intervention by the two peers, who are standing to replace Lord Fowler as speaker, came as a Sunday Times investigation found that the hereditaries cost the taxpayer more and contribute less than life peers.

According to the most detailed data analysis of the institution to date:

● Hereditary peers have cost the taxpayer almost £50 million in expense claims since 2001

● The average hereditary has spoken in the chamber just 50 times over the last five years, compared to 81 times among life peers, and when they do speak, they are 60 per cent more likely to mention their own business or personal interests in the chamber.

The presence of the hereditaries in the Lords was supposed to be a temporary compromise after most were removed in 1999. However, two decades on, those remaining have the right to make or amend laws, and claim a tax-free payment of £323 a day plus travel for parliamentary work.

Baroness Heyter, who along with Lord Alderdice and Lord McFall is standing for speaker this week, said: “It’s not something that would be accepted by the British public today.”

Heyter, the shadow Lords leader, 71, said that byelections — the secretive process by which the hereditaries replenish their numbers whenever a member dies or retires — were “wrong”. Only members of the same party as the departed can vote and the number of peers per party is frozen at 1999 levels, meaning that, in some contests, the electorate can be just three.

As it stands, the contests are paused due to the pandemic. Heyter said that the house should vote on whether or not to resume them at all. Lord Alderdice, the Lib Dem candidate, called for their permanent suspension, saying hereditary peers should be allowed to “wither away”.

Lord McFall, the final candidate, said he “admired” the work of those advocating reform and said that byelections had become “absurd”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-the-truth-about-the-house-of-lords-peers-who-are-born-to-rule-nbdvcfrv3

I fail to see why replacing the remaining few hereditaries with yet more political appointments will improve the Lords, either the second chamber goes fully elected or you keep some hereditaries
    That's a very curious approach, when the very fact the chamber is now mostly appointed shows that heriditaries are not the defining element and you could remove it without also going full elected.
    No, as the hereditaries are the cornerstone of the Lords as are the Bishops, as long as the Lords retains an appointed element the best of them must remain.

I would far rather have a few hereditaries than yet another poiitical donor life peer
    So much a cornerstone of the Lords that they removed almost all of them and stated the ones who remained were a temporary measure only?

When not even all hereditaries in the Lords, let alone generally, do not support the status quo, I think it is a losing battle.
    I am a Tory, I never saw the need to change the Lords as it was in 1999 and I certainly do not seek to change it now, the remaining hereditaries have had a stake in our nation for hundreds of years, they should stay
    My family have also had a stake in the nation for hundreds of years, yet we do not get representation in the Lords...

Long overdue for abolition.
    Completely agree with this. There are many many families that have done their bit for the country and never had the slightest recognition. The idea that the upper classes have somehow slaved away preserving the nation over generations is risible.

Certainly since World War II, and then completely and utterly since the demise of the most socially responsible Tory Wets, it is. Residual upper-class dominance in the officer class might be the last claim, but most of Britain's wars since 1945 haven't benefitted it.
    Lions governed by (unelected) Donkeys.
    It's a little worse than that. The self-selected priviledged financed by the poor.

I'm a Tory. I'm quite happy with the setup as to Lords vs Commons. I'm not at all happy with the ridiculous gravy train. The Lords should be much smaller and personally I'd just restrict it to ex-MPs.
    OK, pop quiz, hotshots!

Which is the only sovereign country on the planet to have an Upper House with more members than its Lower House?
    The size of the Lords gravy train is tiny compared to the Commons - like a quarter of the size?

They only get paid when they attend.

I think the idea of an assembly with a wide range of subject expert is great.

Bugger conformity. Though some reforms could be an improvement.
    There are over 800 members of the Lords. It’s the largest second chamber in the world.
  • Options
    That was touch and go
  • Options
    An ex-Tory PM lobbying for the tax payer to bail-out a failing business might ordinarily be problematic for the Tories.

But I suspect the extent to which this registers with swing voters will only reinforce the view that they were right to ignore him in 2016.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,978

Charles said:

No, it had the potential to be interesting. But it was just dull. For example the French one was Boyle and that guy from Eurotrash firing arrows and making crap jokes.

It was Al Murray who is English. The chances of a Scottish comedian either wanting or being commissioned to make something called ‘Why Does Everyone Hate The English’ are between zero and feckall.
    Despite what Some English people think, Scottish Nationalists don’t hate the English. We just want to be treated as equals.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    Ginger Nuts.

Named after...

On second thoughts, let's not.
  • Options

The incel thing definitely seems to be a thing, but one wonders whether the pasty, overweight Nazi chicken comes before you think I’d shag that egg.

I'm 45 and still going strong :lol:

TSE and Leon will now accuse me of being an incel (whatever that is).
  • Options

I have been warning. This is a social explosion waiting to happen. An extraordinary rise in incel males. Not good. Not good one bit
  • Options

isam said:
    How is it a “system in disrepute”? The “system” appears to have told him to jog on.
    I think the issue is he had a bunch of share options which would have made him very rich if he had delivered with the lobbying. But a large number of share options suggest that those giving them to him knew it was a very, very hard sell to Government that only a former PM had a chance to even get heard.

• Options
    Leon said:

I have been warning. This is a social explosion waiting to happen. An extraordinary rise in incel males. Not good. Not good one bit
    We're not all bad :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

The effect of so much social life moving to first-impressions driven social media, as you and others have said. I expect the chart for women will also show a decline.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

How's the repetitive strain injury?
  • Options

How's the repetitive strain injury?
    Gripping!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,285
    edited March 2021
    What a try by Wales

Nearly
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    HYUFD said:

A good point, young HY. And 400 years ago your ancestors were downtrodden peasants, living short and brutish lives. So if you follow your own logic.......

• Options
    Bravo!
  • Options
    Shame
  • Options
    What a game!
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

TUC
    This breaks the established law, which I have tacitly laid down, that all biscuits are actually named after famous radical or revolutionary figures. So you are, I am afraid, wrong

An example:

Richie "Rich" T Booker, a famous Civil Rights champion who led the march in Mobile, Alabama against the brutal "Dunkers of the South"
    This is to entirely ignore Urquhart-Cameron's participation on the side of the revolutionaries in the Dominican War of Independence during the early 1850s. His daring actions as commandante of a brigade, during the climactic rout of the armies of the Haitian Empire at the Battle of Sabana Larga in 1856, are well-attested.

So there.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Newcastle United :D
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    edited March 2021
    Wales 30
    France 20

60 mins
  • Options

Free booze in pubs and clubs for all for a week in August should solve the problem.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

TUC

An example:

This is to entirely ignore Urquhart-Cameron's participation on the side of the revolutionaries in the Dominican War of Independence during the early 1850s. His daring actions as commandante of a brigade, during the climactic rout of the armies of the Haitian Empire at the Battle of Sabana Larga in 1856, are well-attested.

So there.
    Aha! I stand corrected!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    C’mon incels, if these lads can get a shag..
    https://twitter.com/antifascistrc/status/1373357615510659074?s=21
  • Options

Leon said:

The effect of so much social life moving to first-impressions driven social media, as you and others have said. I expect the chart for women will also show a decline.
    The combination of these weird hormone disrupting chemicals in the biosphere and the tendency of a great many socially-awkward/shallow young people to reject every possible sexual partner on sight may eventually have the effect of starting to drive human population numbers into reverse.

So long as the effect causes gentle decline for a century or two and doesn't lead to extinction then this is a good thing. It would certainly relieve the pressure on finite natural resources.
  • Options

What is an incel?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Any scientist active on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media must deal with some unpleasant anonymous trolls, but that goes with the territory and is not the issue. It is the attacks by politicians, journalists, and fellow scientists that send a chilling message to other scientists and journalists to watch their words and self-censor.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/03/18/one-of-the-lockdowns-greatest-casualties-could-be-science/
  • Options

Leon said:

The combination of these weird hormone disrupting chemicals in the biosphere and the tendency of a great many socially-awkward/shallow young people to reject every possible sexual partner on sight may eventually have the effect of starting to drive human population numbers into reverse.

So long as the effect causes gentle decline for a century or two and doesn't lead to extinction then this is a good thing. It would certainly relieve the pressure on finite natural resources.
    Nah, it’s simpler than that. Young people don’t drink enough these days.
  • Options

What is an incel?
    Someone who's a virgin but doesn't want to be.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Free booze in pubs and clubs for all for a week in August should solve the problem.
    Incels won't be going. They will be sitting in their underpants in their bedroom complaining online that women don't deserve them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's a catastrophe for society.
  • Options
    He yanks him off.

Ooh err.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    No way can they give that. (Even though it was almost certainly grounded).
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

Leon said:

kle4 said:

TUC

An example:

So there.
    (Abraham) Lincoln Biscuits?
  • Options
    Wales quite lucky there
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Incels won't be going. They will be sitting in their underpants in their bedroom complaining online that women don't deserve them.
    The growing number of incels is a very serious problem IMO.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

What is an incel?
    Involuntary Celibate
  • Options
    I don't like that. A great game ruined by VAR. Like football. Tsk
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ah, ok. Them. Can’t be twenty odd percent can they?

Selfishly, if I was still in my twenties I think I’d view that as good news. More for me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wales quite lucky there

Good job they use TMO
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Took an entire year for him to realise that? He must be pretty slow.
    Unfortunately as Carlotta well knows, the SNP cannot fire MSP's.
    My bad, he's still an MSP.
  • Options

What is an incel?
    Involuntary Celibate
    So is it possible to be a VolCel?
  • Options
    Well Brian Moore knows all about provoking the French to get themselves sent off.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That's quite a lot of unwanted human misery which you are happily chortling at.

• Options

Leon said:

Wales quite lucky there

Good job they use TMO
    Yes as the England v Wales proved, the TMO is pro Welsh and anti English.

They couldn't spot a blatant knock on.
  • Options
    I want the Frogs to win now. Seldom said that before
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Foxy said:

Ah, ok. Them. Can’t be twenty odd percent can they?

Selfishly, if I was still in my twenties I think I’d view that as good news. More for me.
    Modern western societies are built on the idea of most people being able to find a partner. If that doesn't happen, it spells armageddon for everything we hold dear. Not something to joke about in my opinion.
  • Options

What is an incel?
    Involuntary Celibate
    So is it possible to be a VolCel?
    That would just be the traditional definition of celibate.

Incels are a modern phenomenon consisting, AIUI, of frustrated men who descend into (sometimes violent) misogyny because women don't want to have the sex with them to which they feel they are entitled.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

In my opinion, they need to get offline, have a shower, dress and groom themselves properly, then treat women with respect, and to be a good listener. It is a simple formula that works.
  • Options
    Wales deserve to lose, constant cheating
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Is it possible to dabble in Celibacy because one is, shall we say, "just curious"?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,285
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Wales quite lucky there

Good job they use TMO

Sour grapes maybe
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

In my opinion, they need to get offline, have a shower, dress and groom themselves properly, then treat women with respect, and to be a good listener. It is a simple formula that works.
    You silly old coot. You don't understand what is happening and why
  • Options
    This game is turning into a rugby league game.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

That isn't the problem IMO. The problem is women have been told they should only accept their perfect idea of a male partner, or something very close to it.
  • Options

Leon said:

Wales quite lucky there

Good job they use TMO

Sour grapes maybe
    The Welsh do that a lot.

Your countrymen still moan like whores over the 2003 coupe du monde QF.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Is it possible to dabble in Celibacy because one is, shall we say, "just curious"?
    Yes but they wouldn't count as an incel.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Agree. A high proportion of bloke problems are solved by three things: girl, job, getting past the age of 23. Shakespeare said something along those lines.

• Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

I am not chortling, just telling the truth.

I work in a mostly female environment, I over hear conversations about useless men all the time from despairing single women. It is not about looks, it is about behaviour.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333

Omnium said:

The point is that they've been key stakeholders in the country for centuries and continue to be responsible for the administration of large areas of the land - and thus have a deep interest in the communities in which they're rooted that extends over multiple lifespans. That's a particularly distinct position of responsibility in our society.

I'm a high Tory and I think things acquire value the longer they're in place, and there should be a corresponding higher test for change - particularly where the alternative is disputed or of questionable value.

So, I don't see the harm in keeping a select number of them indefinitely, and I think that a handful of Dukes, Earls, Marquesses and Viscounts adds to the quaintly idiosyncratic nature of the British constitution, which we'd miss if it was wholly lost.
    My father's background was similar (his cousin was Viscount Stuart), and I've no great objection to the existence of feudal titles, any more than I get worked up over the monarchy. But it's unwise to have it overlap with political decision-making, since it's obviously unreasonable that someone who's there purely by accident of birth should be asked to ponder on the best way to deliver social services or health - they might be good, but it's a happy accident. The monarchy flourishes only as long as the family is uncontroversial, and the same is true of dukes etc. As a piece of traditional British colour, why not? As an element of democracy, not really.
This discussion has been closed.