Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Although Starmer’s still got an approval ratings edge this is not in places where it matters – polit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited March 2021 in General
imageAlthough Starmer’s still got an approval ratings edge this is not in places where it matters – politicalbetting.com

One of the things that is rarely done in polling analysis is to look at geographical breakdowns breakdown like in the chart above based on the latest Opinium poll.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Chart would have been unthinkable in the 80s or 90s
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Second..... Labour's mountain seems almost unassailable. I heard that TB won 56 seats in Scotland in 1997 - SKS really has got his work cut out.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953
    Pulpstar said:

Don't Knows would have absolutely dominated.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Do we have the data to compare this with the Boris v Corbyn numbers in 2019?

The London numbers are all the more remarkable when you consider Boris was a reasonably well regarded Mayor of London who won two terms there. Looks like Starmer would have been a good candidate for that job himself. But PM? He's looking like the Labour IDS - a leader who won't get to fight an election.
  • Options

The London numbers are all the more remarkable when you consider Boris was a reasonably well regarded Mayor of London who won two terms there. Looks like Starmer would have been a good candidate for that job himself. But PM? He's looking like the Labour IDS - a leader who won't get to fight an election.

Trouble is...... a massive Labour split seems almost inevitable post-SKS between those loyal to Jeremy (and talk in hushed tones about the 2017 surge) and those who actually want to win (and god knows what to do about EU minded voters)
  • Options
    SmithersSmithers Posts: 24

But PM? [Keir Starmer] is looking like the Labour IDS - a leader who won't get to fight an election.

What an interesting piece from Mr Smithson. And that’s also an interesting comparison with IDS. I certainly think KS has something of the John Smith about him. Capable, decent, solid.

And uninspiring.

John Smith was also thoroughly Scottish so he had a massive advantage over Starmer there: he could attract Labour support where it was needed.

I can’t see Labour winning a General Election or even (to pick up one of Mr Smithson’s previous posts) preventing an outright Conservative win.

What on earth do Labour do about this? They have leader who seems decent but who is electorally unattractive and uninspiring.
  • Options

Trouble is...... a massive Labour split seems almost inevitable post-SKS between those loyal to Jeremy (and talk in hushed tones about the 2017 surge) and those who actually want to win (and god knows what to do about EU minded voters)
    The Tories have lanced the boil that dogged them for decades - the EU.

Labour's own pustule is now disfiguring their Party. That of bat-shit crazy election-losing Corbynism. Which will outlive the man, because it essentially involves putting front and centre a body of causes which are of no interest to those swing maybe-Labour voters that Blair could hoover up. And at its core is the notion that the Tories need to spend far, far more money. A notion that will become patently absurd on Wednesday when the Tory Chancellor will demonstrate just how tight the fiscal position will be for many years to come, whoever the PM.

However you rate Boris's handling of the pandemic, its wider implication for domestic politics is that it has shot Labour's fox. The Labour Party will have to go away and ditch most of his cherished spending wish-list. And when it does that, many of its activists will wonder "What's the point? We might as well go and join the bloody Tories if that is all we can do in power..."
  • Options
    Boris is becoming the PM that he was meant to be.

Since he and Carrie showed Cummings, Cain and Oliver the door, Boris has become markedly better. He has grown in stature: ending the petulant internal anarchism which was such an Opposition mindset and is now displaying gravitas and sangfroid. He is looking like a genuinely great Prime Minister. And he has parked his bus right on top of Labour’s lawn.

I just can’t see what Labour can do about this. I suspect they will be out of power for at least another decade.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Second..... Labour's mountain seems almost unassailable. I heard that TB won 56 seats in Scotland in 1997 - SKS really has got his work cut out.

That sounds about right, although one must remember that Scotland returned 72 MPs before devolution. Anyway, that's all gone now, to be replaced by the headache of selling a deal with the SNP to all those lost voters in the Midlands and North. That'll be fun.

My takeaway from the header is that the data seem to tally up with Labour's remaining bases of strength: principally core cities, university towns, the very poorest areas (South Wales valleys, the Durham coast,) and towns with large concentrations of voters of South Asian descent. I think Starmer probably does reasonably well versus Johnson amongst Remain leaning, urban exile trendies in the commuter belt as well, but they're too evenly spread to make a difference in most places, even where they are more concentrated then what's left of the Liberal Democrats are often in a better position to challenge, and the large majority of Tory seats in the South are safe in any event.

Now, it's probably going to be more than two years until the country next goes to the polls, a lot can happen in the meantime, and (especially if things go badly with the economic recovery) it's not at all inconceivable that the Conservatives could see their majority wiped out. But the likelihood of Labour winning outright appears remote in the extreme, and in that case Labour's weakness as a minority Government and its choice of coalition/confidence partners gives the Tories a valuable line of attack come the next election campaign.
  • Options

The EU vaccine clusterfuck has come at just the right time politically for Boris. I don’t know anyone who is advocating that we rejoin the EU now. Von der Leyen and her cronies have cooked the remoaner goose for a generation.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2021
    Interesting chart.

But I wonder what the figures would be for gross favourable lead rather than net favourable lead which seems historically more reliable?

Would someone be able to do a chart of region split for gross favourable lead?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Surprising that this kind of analysis isn't done more often. Very informative from OGH - many thanks.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    My conclusion from the chart is that Sadiq Khan will be the next Labour leader, if he wants the job (and can find a London seat for the 2024 GE).
  • Options

My conclusion from the chart is that Sadiq Khan will be the next Labour leader, if he wants the job (and can find a London seat for the 2024 GE).

Labour appealling to win over those hardest to reach Labour London voters?

Quite possible.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Smithers said:

But PM? [Keir Starmer] is looking like the Labour IDS - a leader who won't get to fight an election.

What an interesting piece from Mr Smithson. And that’s also an interesting comparison with IDS. I certainly think KS has something of the John Smith about him. Capable, decent, solid.

And uninspiring.

John Smith was also thoroughly Scottish so he had a massive advantage over Starmer there: he could attract Labour support where it was needed.

I can’t see Labour winning a General Election or even (to pick up one of Mr Smithson’s previous posts) preventing an outright Conservative win.

What on earth do Labour do about this? They have leader who seems decent but who is electorally unattractive and uninspiring.
    I wpould not put Starmer in the same league as John Smith - he's barely in the same universe.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What we have under Boris is a nominally Tory government which is not afraid of state intervention or of spending the cash in a very big way funded by borrowing. The traditional Labour cry of no more Tory austerity is likely to have very little resonance at the next election in the same way that Blair was able to capture so much Tory turf on law and order, public sector reform and perceived economic competence. This gives Labour the same definitional problems that Blair gave the Tories where they are driven off the middle ground just to be heard and to say something different.

What I expect that we will see in the budget, despite soaring deficits, is a generous package to see people out of lockdown and to kick start the recovery with a particular emphasis on spending in the north and midlands. We will see funds being set aside to kick start other industries in the way that the government did with the vaccines to create the jobs of tomorrow. The Hammond wing of the Tories, in so far as it still exists, are likely to be quietly appalled just as the Labour left were appalled by so much that Blair did but Boris won't care.

SKS will be left looking for small groups that have been overlooked or picking at the edges in a way that seems to endorse the broad thrust of government policy. It is not a good look and repeats the flawed approach he has taken to lockdown and the virus.

Great post David.

Especially the final paragraph.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Quite possible.
    It is amazing to reflect that just 30 years ago the Tories had a majority of seats in London.
  • Options

That sounds about right, although one must remember that Scotland returned 72 MPs before devolution. Anyway, that's all gone now, to be replaced by the headache of selling a deal with the SNP to all those lost voters in the Midlands and North. That'll be fun.

My takeaway from the header is that the data seem to tally up with Labour's remaining bases of strength: principally core cities, university towns, the very poorest areas (South Wales valleys, the Durham coast,) and towns with large concentrations of voters of South Asian descent. I think Starmer probably does reasonably well versus Johnson amongst Remain leaning, urban exile trendies in the commuter belt as well, but they're too evenly spread to make a difference in most places, even where they are more concentrated then what's left of the Liberal Democrats are often in a better position to challenge, and the large majority of Tory seats in the South are safe in any event.

Now, it's probably going to be more than two years until the country next goes to the polls, a lot can happen in the meantime, and (especially if things go badly with the economic recovery) it's not at all inconceivable that the Conservatives could see their majority wiped out. But the likelihood of Labour winning outright appears remote in the extreme, and in that case Labour's weakness as a minority Government and its choice of coalition/confidence partners gives the Tories a valuable line of attack come the next election campaign.
    A fair bit of the Durham coast is now blue. Even Sunderland produced 3 closeish resylts last time. Ironically of course even there in the council some of the actual seaside wards have always leaned blue!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

‘Remarkable’ is code for Londoners having had the advantage (not that it was) of having seen the clown in action closer to hand?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    Smithers said:

The EU vaccine clusterfuck has come at just the right time politically for Boris. I don’t know anyone who is advocating that we rejoin the EU now. Von der Leyen and her cronies have cooked the remoaner goose for a generation.

As bad a job as we made of test and trace, and of attention to the warnings. I don't think anyone, except New Zealand and S. Korea, have done well in dealing with the pandemic, and I for one have certainly not changed my view that we are, overall, better off as part of the EU as opposed to sitting outside and snarling at it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Quite possible.
    It is amazing to reflect that just 30 years ago the Tories had a majority of seats in London.
    Indeed.

The loss of London has been more than made up by gains from the other regions though.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't Knows would have absolutely dominated.
    Don't Knows typically do.
  • Options
    I suppose, the question is how will BJ's ratings look when we have 2-3 million unemployed, whopping debt, higher taxes and austerity to pay for it and that's the known knowns (to quote D Rumsfeld)? Will SKS be able to step up?
  • Options
    Smithers said:

Since he and Carrie showed Cummings, Cain and Oliver the door, Boris has become markedly better. He has grown in stature: ending the petulant internal anarchism which was such an Opposition mindset and is now displaying gravitas and sangfroid. He is looking like a genuinely great Prime Minister. And he has parked his bus right on top of Labour’s lawn.

I just can’t see what Labour can do about this. I suspect they will be out of power for at least another decade.

This is mostly hyperbole without evidence. David’s analysis of the policy positioning of the government, upthread, certainly has an argument. But I am not seeing much evidence yet that the clown has become Churchill reborn now he has been forced to dispose with his ragazzi advisors? It’s still the case that pretty much everything he has touched personally has turned into a shambles, with the big notable success being something he was explicitly well away from.

The best you can say is that we haven’t had an obvious gaffe for a week or two, so perhaps he is exercising a little more restraint? I notice listening to his recent ‘crocus’ speech that he came close to going full ISIHAC with double analogy, then suddenly swerved into a less comical sentence. Dead Ringers has had it right for some time; his credibility relies on keeping ‘real Boris’ locked up.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Smithers said:

He may *look* like a Prime Minister to his admirers.

The problem is, he remains incapable of proper strategic thought, unable to understand complex issues, and a shocking judge of character.

And while those are not needed for leadership, they are needed for good governance.

Since he will never develop those - you have them, or you don’t - he needs to appoint a capable deputy in the cabinet who does have them. But unfortunately, nobody is available who is willing to work with him.

So although he is doing well at the moment, there is ample reason to assume that will change.

Equally, nobody has ever got rich betting on Boris Johnson imploding. Almost every single mistake he has made would be career ending for another politician, yet he keeps bouncing back.
    Why those who dislike him decide to go so far to extremes denying him any credit whatsoever is beyond me.

A Tory doesn't twice win Labour London, lead the Brexit campaign all the odds were against and then lead what had been a deeply divided party into an 80 seat majority without being able to be capable of "proper strategic thought" or an "ability to understand complex issues". As for a judge of character, while he's got some weaknesses in his Cabinet (the sooner Williamson goes the better) its far better than the one he inherited.

One thing Boris seems to do well is strategy. In fact he regularly gets lambasted here by those who claim his backing of Brexit was all part of a strategy to get himself into Downing Street in which case his strategic thought seems to be working.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Quite possible.
    Even more amazing from the standpoint of today - London loved Maggie!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

‘Remarkable’ is code for Londoners having had the advantage (not that it was) of having seen the clown in action closer to hand?
    Boris was the perfect front man for London during the Olympics.

And he is always going to be remembered more fondly than the current incumbent London Mayor. Khan has proved to be a blank page - without any crayons.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited March 2021

ydoethur said:

Smithers said:

The problem is, he remains incapable of proper strategic thought, unable to understand complex issues, and a shocking judge of character.

And while those are not needed for leadership, they are needed for good governance.

Since he will never develop those - you have them, or you don’t - he needs to appoint a capable deputy in the cabinet who does have them. But unfortunately, nobody is available who is willing to work with him.

So although he is doing well at the moment, there is ample reason to assume that will change.

Equally, nobody has ever got rich betting on Boris Johnson imploding. Almost every single mistake he has made would be career ending for another politician, yet he keeps bouncing back.
    Why those who dislike him decide to go so far to extremes denying him any credit whatsoever is beyond me.

A Tory doesn't twice win Labour London, lead the Brexit campaign all the odds were against and then lead what had been a deeply divided party into an 80 seat majority without being able to be capable of "proper strategic thought" or an "ability to understand complex issues". As for a judge of character, while he's got some weaknesses in his Cabinet (the sooner Williamson goes the better) its far better than the one he inherited.

One thing Boris seems to do well is strategy. In fact he regularly gets lambasted here by those who claim his backing of Brexit was all part of a strategy to get himself into Downing Street in which case his strategic thought seems to be working.
    Because he seems to make things go right - when they do - by happy accident. But when they do not go right by accident they go very wrong indeed.

Hope you are feeling no worse this morning.

Edit - sorry, that came across as lukewarm. I meant that as it’s unlikely given the timeframes that you will be feeling better so soon,that your condition isn’t deteriorating. Obviously it would be great if you were feeling much better!
  • Options
    edited March 2021

ydoethur said:

Smithers said:

Only if the only success criterion is the further career advancement of one A Johnson. In politics aren't we entitled to hope for something rather better?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And he is always going to be remembered more fondly than the current incumbent London Mayor. Khan has proved to be a blank page - without any crayons.
    The olympics is the perfect example - the decisions and leg work were all done, and all he had to do was walk about waving a flag, looking mildly silly whilst not touching anything.

I agree that Khan is deeply unimpressive, even though he has mostly tried to focus on the day job.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Quite possible.
    That generation of Londoners probably still do to be fair.

The issue is that generation of Londoners have retired, many have moved away from London - and those who now live in London can't afford to buy their own home.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    @Philip_Thompson re our discussion the other day re potential tax rises. One we discussed was the reversal of the the vat reduction on hospitality. We agreed on the inelasticity of demand hence why I thought it would be a good one to reverse. You countered with the suggestion of leaving well alone so those businesses hardest hit could take advantage of the bigger margin rather than it go to the treasury. I concede I hadn't thought of that.

Later that day l thought of this some more. If I were 20 years younger I would consider an investment into hospitality because of the hollowing out of supply, the increase in gearing on those who have survived and the increase in demand. Why should I (who would be exploiting the situation) benefit in addition by the reduced vat rate boosting my margin?

Would it not be better to help existing businesses another way, eg regarding the loans they have taken out.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Smithers said:

Because he seems to make things go right - when they do - by happy accident. But when they do not go right by accident they go very wrong indeed.

Hope you are feeling no worse this morning.

Edit - sorry, that came across as lukewarm. I meant that as it’s unlikely given the timeframes that you will be feeling better so soon,that your condition isn’t deteriorating. Obviously it would be great if you were feeling much better!
    Thanks for the wishes. Actually *fingers crossed* I do feel better today. The headache has largely gone away for now at least but I still feel like I've been hanging out with lots of smokers (I don't smoke personally but that's the best way I can think to describe it, the morning after a night out having spent ages outside a bar with people smoking can usually feel it on my chest, that's how it feels).
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    IanB2 said:

Smithers said:

This is mostly hyperbole without evidence. David’s analysis of the policy positioning of the government, upthread, certainly has an argument. But I am not seeing much evidence yet that the clown has become Churchill reborn now he has been forced to dispose with his ragazzi advisors? It’s still the case that pretty much everything he has touched personally has turned into a shambles, with the big notable success being something he was explicitly well away from.

The best you can say is that we haven’t had an obvious gaffe for a week or two, so perhaps he is exercising a little more restraint? I notice listening to his recent ‘crocus’ speech that he came close to going full ISIHAC with double analogy, then suddenly swerved into a less comical sentence. Dead Ringers has had it right for some time; his credibility relies on keeping ‘real Boris’ locked up.
    Going all the way back to his Spectator days, Boris great strength has been said be his ability to pick the right people to do things that need doing, while he swans about keeping morale up and doing PR.

When it comes to his time as PM so far, the scales are still weighted in favour of this view.

I know most here hate him, but Dominic Cummings was unquestionably a masterclass of an appointment, when judged against the PM’s goal of breaking parliamentary deadlock by uniting the parliamentary Tory party and gaining a majority to deliver Brexit. While many will quibble on the finer detail, Lord Frost managed to deliver a satisfactory trade agreement with the EU. And Kate Bingham of course has come up trumps with the vaccines, though track and trace is something of a failure.

The real test will be what the Cabinet looks like after the reshuffle. The current one was composed for two purposes: ensuring a unified position on Brexit, and as retrospective reward for getting Boris the job in the first place. While we may all think Williamson over his head at Education, his competence at running it was not why he was appointed.

After the reshuffle, we’ll find out what sort of Prime Minister Boris Johnson wants to be remembered and where his true priorities lie.
  • Options

Smithers said:

As bad a job as we made of test and trace, and of attention to the warnings. I don't think anyone, except New Zealand and S. Korea, have done well in dealing with the pandemic, and I for one have certainly not changed my view that we are, overall, better off as part of the EU as opposed to sitting outside and snarling at it.
    All the snarling this year has emanated from Brussels, Paris and London.
  • Options
    kjh said:

@Philip_Thompson re our discussion the other day re potential tax rises. One we discussed was the reversal of the the vat reduction on hospitality. We agreed on the inelasticity of demand hence why I thought it would be a good one to reverse. You countered with the suggestion of leaving well alone so those businesses hardest hit could take advantage of the bigger margin rather than it go to the treasury. I concede I hadn't thought of that.

Later that day l thought of this some more. If I were 20 years younger I would consider an investment into hospitality because of the hollowing out of supply, the increase in gearing on those who have survived and the increase in demand. Why should I (who would be exploiting the situation) benefit in addition by the reduced vat rate boosting my margin?

Would it not be better to help existing businesses another way, eg regarding the loans they have taken out.

The sector needs massive investment, it has been rocked to its core and many businesses have not survived. Those shuttered premises attract crime and disorder, are a lost opportunity, lost potential taxes and lost potential employment.

If you invest seeking to "exploit the situation" then that is fixing a hole in the economy and in a couple of years time (since I suggested keeping VAT down for 2 years) you would be paying the Exchequer significant taxes by then. If you survived that long of course, its a notoriously difficult sector to make a profit in.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Smithers said:

Do they still have a football team in Hartlepool?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Smithers said:

The bitterness of the perpetual loser syndrome rears its daily head.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sadiq Khan would be an excellent choice for Labour leader............... :smiley:
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    Roger said:

Smithers said:

Yes, in the national league / conference.

The owner is however dodgy and I don't expect them to survive for that long...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The olympics is the perfect example - the decisions and leg work were all done, and all he had to do was walk about waving a flag, looking mildly silly whilst not touching anything.

I agree that Khan is deeply unimpressive, even though he has mostly tried to focus on the day job.
    As on, say knife crime and murder... what are his other 'achievements'?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Quite possible.

The issue is that generation of Londoners have retired, many have moved away from London - and those who now live in London can't afford to buy their own home.
    London at the moment is a shrinking island. Once you hit the outer boroughs the magic of Labour wears off rather quickly.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Just caught up with last night’s thread and the gushing over the profound output of an AI.
    I would be more impressed if I were sure that the “profound” bits were the norm, rather than being cherry picked by an actual human from a large amount of dross.

Perhaps a more interesting test would be to feed the output from one AI to another and see if it could sort out the good stuff; that might be a step too far though as I know plenty of humans who would struggle to sort the truly deep statements from the banal.

• Options
    felix said:

Smithers said:

Oops - I meant Berlin but London is so full of chatterers it might as well be in Europe.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It's hard to think of what "achievements" Khan has had in his day job. Can anyone think of any one policy that he has done that has made a meaningful impact on the positive side. As Felix side, his record on knife crime (and crime) is not exactly stellar.

He seems to be copying the style of the big US city mayors and not in a good way. Shy away from tough decisions, go for the photo op and hint at discrimination if people oppose him.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Quite possible.

Amazing to think that the Conservatives held seats like Lewisham
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    edited March 2021
    A really important determinant of Boris's premiership is going to be whether he can improve and patch the shambles of a deal that he got with the EU. There has been some room for optimism in the last week or so on this with possible agreements on financial services and food. In each case mutual self interest is rearing its head as the heat and fury dissipates. The internal situation with NI also needs to be improved as the current situation is intolerable.

The Financial Services package is supposed to be agreed this month. We need to remove the barriers, in both directions, to foodstocks being moved and to increase trusted trader schemes. Given we are dealing with the EU who, in fairness, have rather a lot on their plate right now there is the room for further drift but the sooner this is done the sooner the B word will stop defining Boris's premiership. If he can achieve that even London might give him a second look.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

Quite possible.

One thing I hadn't also realised about the 1983 election - Labour lost 119 deposits

https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/commons-information-office/m09.pdf
  • Options
    MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It's hard to think of what "achievements" Khan has had in his day job. Can anyone think of any one policy that he has done that has made a meaningful impact on the positive side. As Felix side, his record on knife crime (and crime) is not exactly stellar.

He seems to be copying the style of the big US city mayors and not in a good way. Shy away from tough decisions, go for the photo op and hint at discrimination if people oppose him.
    Things are pretty bad in Labour when the likes of Khan are wheeled out as an 'improvement' on Starmer 2 days after SLab choose Sanwar. Desperate stuff.
  • Options
    Waking up to the Great Brazilian pox hunt. Will this currently little story be the one that drives the news agenda in a month as the new deadlier Brazil strain tears its way through the largely unvaccinated population?

It's yet another completely avoidable disaster. Never mind our inability to quarantine people flying in, we have never had the ability to take passenger locator information.

Being able to fly in and not submit data is hardly new. It's been happening since last summer. It could have been fixed, but the government have no interest in doing so.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

Quite possible.

They did when I live there - but the demographics have changed London beyond recognition. They now have lots of Labour seats with huge majorities all over much of London. Masses of wasted votes.
  • Options
    felix said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Things are pretty bad in Labour when the likes of Khan are wheeled out as an 'improvement' on Starmer 2 days after SLab choose Sanwar. Desperate stuff.
    Labour is reaping the years of the 2000s when it was seen as the natural default party for young wannabee politicians who thought that the New Labour playbook was the way to go. They have not adopted to the modern world (hence the constant harbouring - in the elite Labour circles - for Blair).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tories of Thatcher's generation vehemently opposed the government picking winners because the record showed that it was crap at it. We are about to learn that lesson again from Rishi's recovery funds and many Tories will hate it.

The lesson of the government's vaccine procurement is that you don't try tho pick a single winner, but you choose several plausible candidates and then let them work it out in practice.

Maybe the pandemic is so different that you can't apply the same model to other sectors, but it doesn't seem impossible on the face of it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Waking up to the Great Brazilian pox hunt. Will this currently little story be the one that drives the news agenda in a month as the new deadlier Brazil strain tears its way through the largely unvaccinated population?

It's yet another completely avoidable disaster. Never mind our inability to quarantine people flying in, we have never had the ability to take passenger locator information.

Being able to fly in and not submit data is hardly new. It's been happening since last summer. It could have been fixed, but the government have no interest in doing so.

Avoidable potential disaster.
    It might still turn out to be nothing very much.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A really important determinant of Boris's premiership is going to be whether he can improve and patch the shambles of a deal that he got with the EU. There has been some room for optimism in the last week or so on this with possible agreements on financial services and food. In each case mutual self interest is rearing its head as the heat and fury dissipates. The internal situation with NI also needs to be improved as the current situation is intolerable.

The Financial Services package is supposed to be agreed this month. We need to remove the barriers, in both directions, to foodstocks being moved and to increase trusted trader schemes. Given we are dealing with the EU who, in fairness, have rather a lot on their plate right now there is the room for further drift but the sooner this is done the sooner the B word will stop defining Boris's premiership. If he can achieve that even London might give him a second look.

While I agree with pretty much everything else you've said on this thread - and while Financial Services are important for London - I don't think solving the Northern Ireland issues or anything similar will make Londoners look again at the Tories.

Ironically if anything does it might be a side-effect of Covid - the reported ~700k who have left London. If London's population drops and isn't restored then that could ease pressures on the overcrowded housing market, making life more affordable for Londoners, allowing more Londoners to get their own home and become good Tories.
  • Options
    felix said:

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

Quite possible.

They did when I live there - but the demographics have changed London beyond recognition. They now have lots of Labour seats with huge majorities all over much of London. Masses of wasted votes.
    We have just entered the cusp of what is likely to be a decades - not decade - long pattern where you vote for is determined by your views on culture and outlook. That's good for the Conservatives and bad for Labour.

If you want to have an example of how Labour is likely to be screwed, look at the Deep South in the States. Democrat for decades, once the Civil Rights Act came in, they switched to the Republicans and have been the bedrock of that party since.

It's a similar dynamic (if not for the same reasons here). Labour is seen by many as the party of destroying the family and traditional values, cancelling people and allowing mass immigration. I'm not saying that is true but that is the perception for many voters.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    DavidL said:

It's one element, but dealing with the financial aftermath of Covid is going to overshadow everything. Adjustments to the rather poor Brexit deal, while far from insignificant, will not determine the overall result.
  • Options
    Boris’ great strength as PM is the very thing that so irritates people like Max Hastings and a few others on here below. He’s a chameleon, perfectly capable of shifting his position for expediency. He’s a pragmatist.

Like Tony Blair before him, there’s almost no substance. A vague centrist social mush and that’s it. It’s to his brilliant advantage that he doesn’t believe in anything. He did the one thing required of him by the people who mattered: he delivered Brexit. They will remember that until they die and also that Starmer was pro EU and tried to get us to remain.

For sure Boris is both insecure and narcissistic but he has a great fiancee who is politically astute. She has shown a deft hand in getting rid of the malign influence of Cummings who utterly dragged down the Government. Cummings is an Opposition man never for government. He’s a reactionary and the last thing you need is one of those in power. He did his job and then, at last, was shown the door. Ever since then Boris and the Conservatives have been cut free from the chain and they are flying high.

Boris has a moral compass that doesn’t point true north but then since when did that matter in a PM? We are electing a politician. Not a vicar.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Tories of Thatcher's generation vehemently opposed the government picking winners because the record showed that it was crap at it. We are about to learn that lesson again from Rishi's recovery funds and many Tories will hate it.

The lesson of the government's vaccine procurement is that you don't try tho pick a single winner, but you choose several plausible candidates and then let them work it out in practice.

Maybe the pandemic is so different that you can't apply the same model to other sectors, but it doesn't seem impossible on the face of it.
    I agree with that. I have a lot less problems with the government investing in infrastructure, education, skills training and tax breaks for an industry or sector than picking individual firms. Which firms then succeed and which fail is then for the market to determine. But its still not without risk.
  • Options

Two of the six are already in self isolation and had completed their passenger locator forms and are of low risk

Three are in the North East of Scotland and no doubt Sturgeon will respond in their case

The sixth has not yet been traced, and did not complete the passenger locater form, and in England urgent attention is being given to this passenger

All 6 arrived in the UK before the recent increased quarantine restrictions including those in Scotland
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

Just caught up with last night’s thread and the gushing over the profound output of an AI.
    I would be more impressed if I were sure that the “profound” bits were the norm, rather than being cherry picked by an actual human from a large amount of dross.

Perhaps a more interesting test would be to feed the output from one AI to another and see if it could sort out the good stuff; that might be a step too far though as I know plenty of humans who would struggle to sort the truly deep statements from the banal.

The game-players among us can try the model for ourselves in

https://play.aidungeon.io/main/landing

Not tried it myself yet, but here's the background:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_Dungeon

• Options
    felix said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I make no judgment on whether Khan would be an improvement on Starmer, but I do recognise that Labour's centre of gravity is in London, and if you are looking for a third Labour leader in a row from London then he is an obvious choice.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Nigelb said:

As case numbers fall I think we can sequence more ?
    Which should mean potential for surge testing if the variant is found anywhere.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

It's one element, but dealing with the financial aftermath of Covid is going to overshadow everything. Adjustments to the rather poor Brexit deal, while far from insignificant, will not determine the overall result.
    Oh I agree. I pointed out repeatedly pre Brexit that many other things were going to be more important than Brexit in determining our economic future and that any effects for good or ill would be lost in the noise. The noise from Covid is deafening and will drown out everything else but patching up these holes would make the Brexit issue less contentious than it remains. There are political advantages in that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The siren voices of Remain in the UK Establishment gave the EU every reason to believe that the UK would have to come back to Brussels on its knees in supplication.

Well, it was bollocks. I wonder how much the EU is now prepared to cast that aside in the search for a more pragmatic, long term settlement with the lion it has discovered it has as a neighbour?
  • Options

kjh said:

The sector needs massive investment, it has been rocked to its core and many businesses have not survived. Those shuttered premises attract crime and disorder, are a lost opportunity, lost potential taxes and lost potential employment.

If you invest seeking to "exploit the situation" then that is fixing a hole in the economy and in a couple of years time (since I suggested keeping VAT down for 2 years) you would be paying the Exchequer significant taxes by then. If you survived that long of course, its a notoriously difficult sector to make a profit in.
    I agree it is a difficult industry, often driven by a desire rather than a spreadsheet.

As a newcomer though I would be getting a competitive advantage (that I hadn't earned because of Covid) over the existing suppliers because I wouldn't be burdened by the increase in loans and depleted cash balances, so wouldn't it be better to level out that playing field as much as possible. There is still an incentive for me to invest because of reduced supply and increase in demand.

I used the term exploiting the situation deliberately to be emotive and of course we need people to do that. It was emphasize the point that I was less deserving of the generous suggestion you make than existing suppliers and wondered if there was a fairer way of achieving your aim.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Smithers said:

Oops - I meant Berlin but London is so full of chatterers it might as well be in Europe.
    I did wonder! (smiley face)
  • Options

felix said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I make no judgment on whether Khan would be an improvement on Starmer, but I do recognise that Labour's centre of gravity is in London, and if you are looking for a third Labour leader in a row from London then he is an obvious choice.
    You are right. And it is a real problem for them. London is not the UK - probably less so than ever right now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Morning all,

Delighted to have got through to 1st March which in my mind is start of Spring. I've never been so glad to see the back of a winter.

Hoping to be sat in a pub watching England football by June without even a thought of covid.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477

R4 Today was certainly going for the Vaccines Minister.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

Have you settled in yet Rochdale, if so hopefully you are enjoying your new home.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Don't any of you feel queasy? Boris Johnson has just led us through the biggest slaughter of our fellow countrymen since the First World War and we continue to get tedious eulogies from the same four or five posters extolling his genius. I know there are people who have to hero worship -Trump has shown us that -but I wish we had a few less on here.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any insight into the Dutch general election that is approaching?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/01/covid-has-taken-wind-out-of-dutch-politics-analysts-say-as-elections-loom
  • Options

felix said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The last thing Labour need to win the red wall seats to gain office is another London based leader
    Exactly. And Khan is an arch europhile.

I think Lost Password was being naughty, because electing another Londoner Labour leader will confine Labour to becoming a regional party like the LibDems.

Labour need a Brexit northerner but I fear, regardless, that they’re out of power for another decade.

Maybe they will never return? If the Conservatives stay in the centre and get the economy booming Singapore style post-Brexit and post-Covid then what’s the point of voting for anything else?!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Midlands seeks to have gone Tory in a big way in recent decades.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    Nigelb said:

A commentator on R4 suggested that it’s unlikely to out-compete our home discovered B117 which is currently probably rampaging largely undetected (except Denmark) across Europe.
  • Options
    Interesting article by Rajeev Syal in today's Guardian, under the heading
    'Does Boris Johnson stir up team conflict to help make up his mind?"

A quote: 'Those who worked closely with him say Johnson encourages rows and tensions over policies as he considers all sides of the argument and figures out what he will do next.'
  • Options

felix said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The last thing Labour need to win the red wall seats to gain office is another London based leader
    That may well be true, but the truth rarely prevents people from making mistakes.

Anyone betting would be doing so on the outcome, not the optimal outcome.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

I agree it is a difficult industry, often driven by a desire rather than a spreadsheet.

As a newcomer though I would be getting a competitive advantage (that I hadn't earned because of Covid) over the existing suppliers because I wouldn't be burdened by the increase in loans and depleted cash balances, so wouldn't it be better to level out that playing field as much as possible. There is still an incentive for me to invest because of reduced supply and increase in demand.

I used the term exploiting the situation deliberately to be emotive and of course we need people to do that. It was emphasize the point that I was less deserving of the generous suggestion you make than existing suppliers and wondered if there was a fairer way of achieving your aim.
    Except my point was not to be generous but to fix a very broken sector of the economy. If you (or A N Other) invest in the sector then you are a part of fixing the sector and rebuilding the economy fit to pay taxes in future years.

You may lack the burdens of the Covid year for bringing the business through the recession, on the other hand if you're buying an existing business you could be taking on its debts and liabilities in which case you are still burdened. Or you might buy somewhere shuttered which lacks the debts butt then also lacks goodwill etc that is valuable to a business.

Finally a temporary VAT cut is good because it ties support to trade going forwards; being ruthless if existing businesses or new ones like yourself survive and thrive in the next two years doing this then they will be healthy businesses at the end of it to pay taxes into the future. If instead the government wipes out some debts of a failing business that still goes on to fail leaving behind a shuttered premise then who does that help?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Don't any of you feel queasy? Boris Johnson has just led us through the biggest slaughter of our fellow countrymen since the First World War and we continue to get tedious eulogies from the same four or five posters extolling his genius. I know there are people who have to hero worship -Trump has shown us that -but I wish we had a few less on here.

Yawn.

You obvs can’t pin every global pandemic death on Boris. And you know fulll well that some of the blame is on you. Yes you. The British public who constantly break the rules.

Anyway, we have the best vaccine rollout in the world and that is frankly all that matters.

There are a few embittered Labourites who would rather mass death of British citizens to Boris success. They won’t say so publicly too often but it’s sadly, and disgracefully, true.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

Roger said:

Smithers said:

The owner is however dodgy and I don't expect them to survive for that long...
    He asked about Hartlepool not Liverpool
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    Roger said:

The tories don't give a fuck. Now that the Red Wall Gammons have delivered Brexit they have outlived their utility and may be led into Johnson's covid charnel house.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    MrEd said:

felix said:

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

Quite possible.

We have just entered the cusp of what is likely to be a decades - not decade - long pattern where you vote for is determined by your views on culture and outlook. That's good for the Conservatives and bad for Labour.

If you want to have an example of how Labour is likely to be screwed, look at the Deep South in the States. Democrat for decades, once the Civil Rights Act came in, they switched to the Republicans and have been the bedrock of that party since.

It's a similar dynamic (if not for the same reasons here). Labour is seen by many as the party of destroying the family and traditional values, cancelling people and allowing mass immigration. I'm not saying that is true but that is the perception for many voters.
    That's undoubtedly part of the theory, but there's another way it could play out.

The thing about the US split was that it was, in large part, along racial lines, which meant that the split persisted and persists for decades.

The UK split is much more along generational lines, with a breakpoint roughly between those who thought that the 60's personal revolution went quite far enough, thank you, and those who didn't. The blue wall happened in large part because of people who had retired in places where people are retired. Same for the other thing that begins with B.

Channelling my inner Cummings, I can see two ways this plays out. One is that the Conservatives continue to adapt, taking on the social mores of the older person in year X. That will mean running quite fast to stay still. They also stay in office but not in power- they delay change, but don't stop it.

The other is that they dig in with this set of values. I know people get more right-wing as they get older, but I don't think that works as well for values as economics. In that case, they could find themselves on the wrong side of the balance quite quickly.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Smithers said:

Boris’ great strength as PM is the very thing that so irritates people like Max Hastings and a few others on here below. He’s a chameleon, perfectly capable of shifting his position for expediency. He’s a pragmatist.

Like Tony Blair before him, there’s almost no substance. A vague centrist social mush and that’s it. It’s to his brilliant advantage that he doesn’t believe in anything. He did the one thing required of him by the people who mattered: he delivered Brexit. They will remember that until they die and also that Starmer was pro EU and tried to get us to remain.

For sure Boris is both insecure and narcissistic but he has a great fiancee who is politically astute. She has shown a deft hand in getting rid of the malign influence of Cummings who utterly dragged down the Government. Cummings is an Opposition man never for government. He’s a reactionary and the last thing you need is one of those in power. He did his job and then, at last, was shown the door. Ever since then Boris and the Conservatives have been cut free from the chain and they are flying high.

Boris has a moral compass that doesn’t point true north but then since when did that matter in a PM? We are electing a politician. Not a vicar.

Blair was and is various things, some better than others, but not a chameleon. His defining characteristic is to make up his mind and go for it with formidable powers of persuasion - Clause 4, the election win, the NHS turnaround, Iraq, private provision of public service. He's sometimes very wrong IMO, and a weakness is an inability to realise it, but he's always interesting.

Boris has considerable charm as well as a ruthless streak, and the combination has got him where he is, but he is rarely interesting in the sense of having any particular ideas on what needs to be done. I agree that he's a pragmatist in the sense you describe, and that he's doing pretty well at the moment, but I'm not convinced that level of pragmatism is a durable asset. We shall see.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

felix said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Third in a row from London ?

It would be fourth in a row, surely. Miliband, Corbyn, Starmer, then Khan.

Because Miliband was born & brought up in London, & apart from 3 years of PPE at Oxford & 1 year at Harvard, worked all his life in London where he has his family home.

Until he accidentally discovered a vacant safe seat in the North.

Ed Miliband is as much a Doncastrian as I am.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    "very unlikely to exceed 2 million vaccinations per week."

I'm glad that vaccine calculator ended up being nonsense.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The siren voices of Remain in the UK Establishment gave the EU every reason to believe that the UK would have to come back to Brussels on its knees in supplication.

Well, it was bollocks. I wonder how much the EU is now prepared to cast that aside in the search for a more pragmatic, long term settlement with the lion it has discovered it has as a neighbour?
    Lion as a neighbour - I hope that was your usual humour Mark and tongue in cheek. I have a vision of you standing upright saluting next to a huge union flag currently with a bulldog at your feet.

It isn't bollocks. We have clearly screwed up many industries. It just so happens we actually have something more important to deal with currently otherwise the news would be wall to wall Brexit screw ups (fishing, fashion, entertainment, delivery costs, delivery delays, etc, etc).

Of course the UK doing an excellent job on vaccinations and the EU royally cocking it up also changes the perspective somewhat.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Morning all. There is no route for Starmer that doesn’t go through Scotland. Above all other places, that’s where he needs to spend his efforts. He also needs to decide whether to prioritise young metropolitans or ‘red wall’ northern seats - the policies that appeal to these two groups are mutually exclusive.
This discussion has been closed.