Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Although Starmer’s still got an approval ratings edge this is not in places where it matters – polit

123457»

Comments

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:
    If a side effect of C-19 is an effective vaccine against malaria then the net effect across the globe will be to have saved lives in the long run I think.
    COVID is speeding up this process, rather than creating it entirely, so it is the extra lives saved by getting there sooner that is the metric. Even so, it is potentially huge.
    Are any other high-profile pathogens potential candidates for this approach?
    Pretty much any infectious disease to which the body can mount a good adaptive immunological response. And the tech is just in its early days. I don't see why it should not be adapted not just to target the viral proteins that cause infection, but also those that cause the pathological symptoms or indeed those that help shield the virus from the immune system's response.

And it can be used not just against pathogens but also types of cancers.

The biological revolution that is coming, with the convergence of Big Data, the -omics (genomics, transciptomics, proteinomics, metabolomics), computational biology, and synthetic biology is something the likes of which we have never seen. Including the information revolution.
    How close are we do you think to Aubrey de Grey’s goal, of pushing out adult life expectancy faster than time can pass, thus forging a path to biological immortality?
    Not my field, but I seriously hope we are generations away. The aging process, as far as I understand, has something to do with telomeres, but I don't think you can simply reverse the effects of aging by lengthening the telomeres.
    From everything I read yesterday, in my GPT3 Frenzy, we are not that far off the moment when we can upload human brains into a computer. Which would be a kind of immortality. Not very nice, perhaps
    Did you watch Altered Carbon? I think you'd enjoy it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

On current trends we could have single digit daily deaths by the end of May. That's with continuing 30% WoW falls.

Impossible to see restrictions lasting until 21/6 if that happens. Especially if everyone is vaccinated sooner which looks plausible.

Of course debating whether to lift lockdown sooner is a better problem to have than debating whether to impose new restrictions.

Earlier than that IMO because the drop off in deaths is accelerating.
    Indeed. I didn't want to plot for that though assuming that 30% WoW was ambitious enough and the final deaths may be the hardest to eliminate.

Very positive sign though. We are very near to the end of this in this country.
    As long as the Bastard Brazilian Bug doesn't Bugger Everything Up.

That's my only significant worry now, but it is a biggie. A new variant, like this.

*prays*
    It's not. Our vaccine strategy will beat it.
    Reassuring. Ta.

You've been an asset through this entire crisis, Max. Real insider info. V helpful!
    Np, this kind of research is what my specific skillset is made for, no bother for me to share some of it for PB punters.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

MaxPB said:

On current trends we could have single digit daily deaths by the end of May. That's with continuing 30% WoW falls.

Impossible to see restrictions lasting until 21/6 if that happens. Especially if everyone is vaccinated sooner which looks plausible.

Of course debating whether to lift lockdown sooner is a better problem to have than debating whether to impose new restrictions.

I couldn't take another lockdown.

I'd rather go slow and ensure everyone is vaccinated first.
    Yes, and having a long dated unlocking allows us to react to events if things go better than expected. If we went for quick unlock strategy that got delayed then it would be awful having to live through the prolongation.
    There was a lot of talk about 24/7 vaccine roll-out in January from Boris.

I'm not sure what's happened to that, or if the limiting factor is vaccine supply, staffing or demand?

From my point of view I'd take a middle of the night slot any day of the week.
    If you have the staff and the vaccines you would be better off sticking a few marquees somewhere to run a new vaccination centre during the day and evening, than having everyone turn up to a centralised location during the night.

There's nothing special about the locations.

I think there are loads of places, like pharmacies and GP practices, that have the capacity to do extra vaccinations if they can be delivered the doses, that all-night vaccinations are a red herring.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Earlier than that IMO because the drop off in deaths is accelerating.
    Indeed. I didn't want to plot for that though assuming that 30% WoW was ambitious enough and the final deaths may be the hardest to eliminate.

Very positive sign though. We are very near to the end of this in this country.
    As long as the Bastard Brazilian Bug doesn't Bugger Everything Up.

That's my only significant worry now, but it is a biggie. A new variant, like this.

*prays*
    I hope this reassures you a little, Leon. -

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/vaccines-should-end-the-pandemic-despite-the-variants-say-experts/

Although the Brazilian variant is not mentioned expressly, Galit Alter knows her onions, and she would have had it in mind because it was found in the US at the end of January -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/scientific-brief-emerging-variants.html)

So it's right to be concerned, but the balance of professional opinion appears to be that even if antibody escape is possible then T-Cell immunity should do the job in preventing serious illness. Also did you see my post early that cast a lot of doubt on the supposed 70%+ seroprevalence rate in Manaus? Turns out it was more like 15%. Here it is again -

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1364963342129971202
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:
    The percentage slowdown is accelerating. Potentially 90 next Monday?
    Covid is disappearing from the UK very quickly
    And another nearly four months of restrictions. Better safe than sorry, etc but that is still quite a long time if everything is cratering.
    If deaths continue to plummet towards double digits per day even with school kids going back, I think the government will struggle to keep restrictions in place for that long...

We shouldn't have them if they're not needed. I guess we'll see what happens with the vaccination, R, and hospitalisation rates.
    They won't mind that. Better to be pushed by public demand to relax sooner than go too soon.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

I couldn't take another lockdown.

I'd rather go slow and ensure everyone is vaccinated first.
    Agreed, it's becoming slightly easier to wait now there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    5455 cases, that must the lowest for months
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    edited March 2021
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:
    If a side effect of C-19 is an effective vaccine against malaria then the net effect across the globe will be to have saved lives in the long run I think.
    COVID is speeding up this process, rather than creating it entirely, so it is the extra lives saved by getting there sooner that is the metric. Even so, it is potentially huge.
    Pretty much any infectious disease to which the body can mount a good adaptive immunological response. And the tech is just in its early days. I don't see why it should not be adapted not just to target the viral proteins that cause infection, but also those that cause the pathological symptoms or indeed those that help shield the virus from the immune system's response.

The biological revolution that is coming, with the convergence of Big Data, the -omics (genomics, transciptomics, proteinomics, metabolomics), computational biology, and synthetic biology is something the likes of which we have never seen. Including the information revolution.
    How close are we do you think to Aubrey de Grey’s goal, of pushing out adult life expectancy faster than time can pass, thus forging a path to biological immortality?
    Not my field, but I seriously hope we are generations away. The aging process, as far as I understand, has something to do with telomeres, but I don't think you can simply reverse the effects of aging by lengthening the telomeres.
    From everything I read yesterday, in my GPT3 Frenzy, we are not that far off the moment when we can upload human brains into a computer. Which would be a kind of immortality. Not very nice, perhaps
    I didn't. I desperately need stuff to watch. I am reduced to cookery shows (which I like, but there is a limit to how much Hairy Bikers and Rick Stein a man can take).

What is it? Movie? Docudrama? Netflix?

A smart friend of mine eagerly recommended Call My Agent, a French "dramedy" about a talent agency in Paris. The first episode was dire and plodding. Maybe it gets better.

I do wonder if our viewing and reading standards have fallen because of Covid. Average shows that would normally go unremarked are now received super-enthusiastically, because we have nothing else to do. Bridgerton is a fine example of this phenomenon. A pleasant diversion, no more. Yet it was the talk of The Ton.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I don't think Prince Philip is in very good condition....transferred to St Barts.

I do hope he makes it to the 10th of June this year (and beyond!)

He'd get a telegram from his wife on the 10th of June.
    I believe members of the House of Lords get a personal call of congratulations from the Monarch. I'm sure she could run to that. For a Duke.
    How many members of the House of Lords have made 100? I know several have got close - Baroness Trumpington died at 96, Lord Healey at 98, and Lord Carrington at 99. But I am unsure if the convention to which you refer has been tested all that often.
    I can't recall who it was - they were on the radio discussing it.

Did find this though, suggesting it is not just a call:

"Baron Oranmore and Browne died aged 100, and was unimpressed with his card from the Queen, which he thought had too large a photo of her on the front. “Horrible,” he remarked, putting it back in the envelope."
    I knew an elderly lady who reached her 100th birthday in fine mental form (if physically tired), opened her card from the Queen with her family, had a couple of glasses of bucks fizz, retired for her usual nap, and simply never woke up.

That is the way to go.
    For no apparent reason, my family decided to do some attic-clearing one Saturday. We discovered all kinds of stuff, mementoes, memorabilia, etc. We went downstairs and that afternoon looked through it all with my father, aged 75 who although ill and tired, was very lively, active, and certainly compos mentis.

We laughed all afternoon (my father it turns out, for example, had a Communist Party of GB membership card - required for a just post-WWII demob choir performance in some venue or other, apparently) and quaffed champagne throughout before we all headed off to our homes. And at 2am that night my mother phoned me to say my father had died in his sleep.

Sad as it was (you can "prepare" yourself for as long as you like but it's always still a shock) on reflection - this was many years ago - I am so pleased that he didn't die hooked up to tubes, or in pain, or having forgotten who he and we all were.
    There's an interesting philosophical question about how different life would be absent the terror of death and all that comes around it - if we all knew that death, when it comes, will take us painlessly and unawares at a moment we are content and at peace. Always comforting to hear such stories in a way.
    I think that's true. We don't want the last bit. I saw the documentary about Dignitas and two things struck me about the filming of the older guy with MND, truly a horrible condition, who had chosen to go there.

First, they said that he was leaving a well-stocked wine cellar, which made me think get yourself the fuck home and drink some of it then come back after a few weeks; and secondly, the very final few seconds, after he drank the solution, were evidently very distressing and uncomfortable, with him gasping and grasping. Why wouldn't (you choose for it to be) just be like a general anaesthetic from which you drift off, never to reawaken
    I can see why people don't empty the wine cellar. Even if you're controlling it to limit the suffering and exercise some agency over it, you know what's coming and have to cross the threshold. That's scary and depressing, and I guess people just want to get it done. An anaesthetic in those circumstances isn't an anaesthetic as an experience as you know that you're slipping under forever.

That's a little different to my thought experiment where you've no idea when it's coming - just that you won't have this terrible slide into it, and you won't know a thing about it.
  • Options

Positive tests starting to fall faster:

Yes there's a fairly sharp acceleration in the case fall. To think, we were all concerned about a levelling off a week or so ago – it now seems almost certain that was a consequence of the cold weather.

Very, very good numbers today, within a whisker of double digits on the deaths.
  • Options
    @Leon

Is Bloodlands any good?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I don't think Prince Philip is in very good condition....transferred to St Barts.

I believe members of the House of Lords get a personal call of congratulations from the Monarch. I'm sure she could run to that. For a Duke.
    How many members of the House of Lords have made 100? I know several have got close - Baroness Trumpington died at 96, Lord Healey at 98, and Lord Carrington at 99. But I am unsure if the convention to which you refer has been tested all that often.

"Baron Oranmore and Browne died aged 100, and was unimpressed with his card from the Queen, which he thought had too large a photo of her on the front. “Horrible,” he remarked, putting it back in the envelope."
    I knew an elderly lady who reached her 100th birthday in fine mental form (if physically tired), opened her card from the Queen with her family, had a couple of glasses of bucks fizz, retired for her usual nap, and simply never woke up.

That is the way to go.
    For no apparent reason, my family decided to do some attic-clearing one Saturday. We discovered all kinds of stuff, mementoes, memorabilia, etc. We went downstairs and that afternoon looked through it all with my father, aged 75 who although ill and tired, was very lively, active, and certainly compos mentis.

We laughed all afternoon (my father it turns out, for example, had a Communist Party of GB membership card - required for a just post-WWII demob choir performance in some venue or other, apparently) and quaffed champagne throughout before we all headed off to our homes. And at 2am that night my mother phoned me to say my father had died in his sleep.

Sad as it was (you can "prepare" yourself for as long as you like but it's always still a shock) on reflection - this was many years ago - I am so pleased that he didn't die hooked up to tubes, or in pain, or having forgotten who he and we all were.
    There's an interesting philosophical question about how different life would be absent the terror of death and all that comes around it - if we all knew that death, when it comes, will take us painlessly and unawares at a moment we are content and at peace. Always comforting to hear such stories in a way.
    I think that's true. We don't want the last bit. I saw the documentary about Dignitas and two things struck me about the filming of the older guy with MND, truly a horrible condition, who had chosen to go there.

First, they said that he was leaving a well-stocked wine cellar, which made me think get yourself the fuck home and drink some of it then come back after a few weeks; and secondly, the very final few seconds, after he drank the solution, were evidently very distressing and uncomfortable, with him gasping and grasping. Why wouldn't (you choose for it to be) just be like a general anaesthetic from which you drift off, never to reawaken
    I can see why people don't empty the wine cellar. Even if you're controlling it to limit the suffering and exercise some agency over it, you know what's coming and have to cross the threshold. That's scary and depressing, and I guess people just want to get it done. An anaesthetic in those circumstances isn't an anaesthetic as an experience as you know that you're slipping under forever.

That's a little different to my thought experiment where you've no idea when it's coming - just that you won't have this terrible slide into it, and you won't know a thing about it.
    All this talk of death makes me think that Having Myself Uploaded to GPT3 where I can think forever, might not be so bad after all. Not great - but better than the alternative. TBH
  • Options

@Leon

Is Bloodlands any good?

Not tried. Will try
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

@Leon

Is Bloodlands any good?

Too soon to tell. Had a WTF??? ending to the second episode though.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684
    edited March 2021

5455 cases, that must the lowest for months

8.4 cases on average per constituency, each of which has an average of 105,000 people.

Its getting to the stage where you'd think the individual cases could be tracked down and action taken to make sure there's no spread, thus wiping out the virus from the UK.

For example, imagine 8 or 9 cases in the whole of the Winchester constituency. Shouldn't be difficult to track them down.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is the way to go.

I cannot understand that. AFAIK you can be painlessly sent to sleep, then finished off with morphine. They did it to my stepmum (in a hospice). That's distressing just to READ
    Yeah it was pretty horrible.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    Lock her up, and throw away the keys.
    All of them.
    What a voice! Anyone who has sung drunk walking down Old Compton Street on a Saturday night......this is for you.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2021

@Leon

Is Bloodlands any good?

Too soon to tell. Had a WTF??? ending to the second episode though.
    Another BBC series with just 4 episodes...4.....in this day and age. Then there will be a 3 year wait for another season / spinoff.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Just generated this meme. The EU trying to decide how to learn lessons from Britain's vaccine rollout.

What do you think? Apologies if its not original text.

The thing is, this isn't as much about the EU any more. They're now receiving 2.5-3 million doses a day between AZ and Pfizer. Now, that's a lot less (proportionately) than the UK, but it's a very similar number to the US.

There is nothing, really, more for the EU Commission to do. Increasing numbers of vaccines will arrive. They will be later than the UK, but they're coming.

It's now about the French and German governments.

Their rubbishing of AZ (combined with a stupid "save a dose policy") means while they have received close to 60m doses of vaccines, they have only gotten 30m in peoples' arms.

Can Macron say "I was wrong, it's safe and efficacious?" He should. Can Merkel say "Given the optimal dosing strategy for AZ is twelve weeks, it makes no sense to hold back doses"? She should.

That isn't anything to do with the EU. That's national politics all the way through.
    The answer will no doubt be a single EU policy, with no scope for national politics to put their foot in the door.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

@Leon

Is Bloodlands any good?

Yes, similar to Line of Duty, set in Northern Ireland
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Scott_xP said:
    Even I knew about Greenslade's Irish reublicanism and I am as far removed from a Fleet Street insider as you can possibly get. As soon as I saw the headline I knew who it would be.
  • Options
    Talking of death, computerised immortality and GPT3 (which I was) reminds me of this, which I also found yesterday

Someone asked GPT3 to design classic thought experiments, and prompted it with a few examples.

GPT3 came back with these, check the whole thread. Some of them are fiendish. The Evil Genius actually plays with the concept of uploaded brains

https://twitter.com/TomerUllman/status/1363851329463087109?s=20

https://twitter.com/sayestheorem/status/1363999150610685952?s=20

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    50%(!) reduction in WoW reported cases for England, hospitalisations down to just 718 and a 40% WoW drop in deaths.

Once again, even for a weekend this is a huge drop.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

I didn't. I desperately need stuff to watch. I am reduced to cookery shows (which I like, but there is a limit to how much Hairy Bikers and Rick Stein a man can take).

A smart friend of mine eagerly recommended Call My Agent, a French "dramedy" about a talent agency in Paris. The first episode was dire and plodding. Maybe it gets better.

I do wonder if our viewing and reading standards have fallen because of Covid. Average shows that would normally go unremarked are now received super-enthusiastically, because we have nothing else to do. Bridgerton is a fine example of this phenomenon. A pleasant diversion, no more. Yet it was the talk of The Ton.
    2 seasons of a cyberpunk TV series in which the basic idea is that you can back yourself up onto a disk (and for extra protection into the Cloud on satellites), and 're-sleeve' yourself into a new body as many times as you like. Stripped of the sci-fi and cyberpunk atmospherics, it is a standard whodunnit.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Way too simple a concept (despite a few Yanks who got very excited about telomerase, cancer and the prospect of eternal life...). Telomeres play a role in cell death, but biology is very complex, and individual cell death is not the be all and end all of a multicellular organism's life/death.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2021

Mrs P and I (63 and 60) both had our first covid jabs today. Az/Oxford. No ill effects at all, super efficient clinic run by a local pharmacy.

Feeling very positive. Went out for a ride on my handcycle in the sunshine this afternoon to celebrate!

Hope those of you still to be vaccinated don't have to wait too long.

Its been reported the Quattro is being fired up to max for the next 10 weeks.....so hopefully not long to wait for anybody.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    Andy_JS said:
    Ritual immolation of redundant face masks would be a popular garden pastime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdhEq-Cpi9A
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Nah - Westworld series 2 tried that and it didn't work too well...
  • Options

@Leon

Is Bloodlands any good?

I'm going to try that soon. Haven't managed to get in to Spiral. Should I persevere?

Meanwhile you want feelgood? Has to be Schitt's Creek, Parks & Recs, Brooklyn 99.

Meanwhile, Fargo the series is excellent, as is This is US. For grittier, and fantastic drama then Queen & Slim (film), When they See Us and Trial of the Chicago 7 are amazing imo and not lockdown overhyped.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Mrs P and I (63 and 60) both had our first covid jabs today. Az/Oxford. No ill effects at all, super efficient clinic run by a local pharmacy.

Feeling very positive. Went out for a ride on my handcycle in the sunshine this afternoon to celebrate!

Its been reported the Quattro is being fired up to max for the next 10 weeks.....so hopefully not long to wait for anybody.
    I shall be firing up the Quattro tomorrow - it's been parked in the garage all winter but I need to get the mower out, which we stupidly parked behind it.

Who knows, if the lockdown ends as planned I might get it taxed and on the road again for the summer. Happy days! 😁
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is the way to go.

Yes I wasn't comparing the two, it just made me think of it. And no reason why you can't polish off the wine cellar over a few days or weeks, sober up, and then come back...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684

Watch out for an aching arm tomorrow and the next day. Most of the people I know have reported this, but they dont get it on the day of the jab itself.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Sforzando said:

Cookie said:

On a cheerier note, it really is a very lovely day indeed. Again. Warmth, blossom, birdsong. Not a cloud in the sky.

Is anyone familiar with 'Good Omens'? I keep thinking back to the bit where the witchfinder's assistant realises that that particular village in South Oxfordshire ALWAYS has weather very typical for the time of year - glorious hot summers, blustery Autumns, frozen and snowy winters, beautiful warm springtimes. It feels like that has been happening to the UK ever since LD1 last March.

People's expectations around the weather are endlessly fascinating. We had a day near the end of February that came very close to breaking the Central England Temperature record for that day (back to 1772), and yet it fits into expectations of typical weather for the season.

Quite remarkable.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/graphs/HadCET_act_graphEX.gif
    Yes, beautiful and most welcome the recent weather certainly has been, but seasonal it ain't.
    It is today. We're officially in Spring.
    Looking forward to March 28th when, according to my Economist Diary, UK and EU Official Summer Time begins.

:wink:
    One of the greatest difficulties of parenthood is explaining, every three months or so, the difference between meteorological summer, astronomical summer, British Summer Time, and just a nice day.
    I often think that in the UK the variation between consecutive days can be greater than the average variation between the seasons.
    Didn't someone say that, statistically, the best predictor of tomorrow's weather is today's weather?
    I don’t think it’s quite that.

I believe that if you guess that tomorrow will be the same as today you will, on average, be correct more often than a meteorologist.

But it’s really just to do with the fact that weather patterns persist
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

2 seasons of a cyberpunk TV series in which the basic idea is that you can back yourself up onto a disk (and for extra protection into the Cloud on satellites), and 're-sleeve' yourself into a new body as many times as you like. Stripped of the sci-fi and cyberpunk atmospherics, it is a standard whodunnit.
    I remember the first book being a reasonable read but the sequels being somewhat baggy.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited March 2021

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Way too simple a concept (despite a few Yanks who got very excited about telomerase, cancer and the prospect of eternal life...). Telomeres play a role in cell death, but biology is very complex, and individual cell death is not the be all and end all of a multicellular organism's life/death.
    I thought telomeres were effectively null padding to protect the actual DNA information, and you lose some padding each time a cell divides. Once you've got no padding, cell division no longer works properly.

Isn't there some weird thing where you inherit longer telomeres from older fathers?

I imagine that this is very weakly linked to life expectancy, but I do wonder how much difference it makes to a population.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2021
    Andy_JS said:
    I'm looking forward to not having to routinely wear a mask, but I do hope post-pandemic that it becomes socially expected for people with coughs and sneezes to mask in public, as is the case in east Asia. I think I'd also carry a mask with me in the winter to put on if I see someone coughing or sneezing near me on public transport.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785

Cyclefree said:

OK - movie scenes to make you weep.

A railway station, the cheery station master apologising to the puzzled girl for being too friendly "on a day like this", the smoke and steam as the train pulls out, the man appearing and the girl running to him, arms outstretched. "Daddy, my Daddy!" Then the perfect freeze frame as they embrace and smile at each other.

Has me in bits every time.

Also the prelude to "Up", Toy Story 3 in the furnace, Dumbo when his mother is taken away. And - yes - another railway station setting: the end of Brief Encounter when he puts his hand on her shoulder briefly and leaves while the annoying friend witters on and they are unable to say goodbye. The singing of La Marseillaise in Casablanca makes the lips tremble a bit too.

The endings of A.I. and Edward Scissorhands for me.
    Amy leading the geese into a safe landing in Fly Away Home has that effect on me.
  • Options

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

I thought telomeres were effectively null padding to protect the actual information, and you lose some padding each time a cell divides. Once you've got no padding, cell division no longer works.

Isn't there some weird thing where you inherit longer telomeres from older fathers?

I imagine that this is very weakly linked to life expectancy, but I do wonder how much difference it makes to a population.
    Yep - telomeres are repeats of TTAGGG (human) that protect chromosomes. During cell replication some of the end bases are lost each time, so ultimately the chromosome becomes unstable, and senescence sets in, with cell death. Many cancers upregulate telomerase, which adds extra bases to the chromosome, meaning the cancer cells can become 'immortal'. There are some experimental drugs targetting telomerase (possibly best as a combination therapy).

The idea of making our cell lines immortal has a superficial attraction, but biology is just too complicated for that.

Not heard of the longer telomeres from older fathers thing.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Sforzando said:

Cookie said:

On a cheerier note, it really is a very lovely day indeed. Again. Warmth, blossom, birdsong. Not a cloud in the sky.

Is anyone familiar with 'Good Omens'? I keep thinking back to the bit where the witchfinder's assistant realises that that particular village in South Oxfordshire ALWAYS has weather very typical for the time of year - glorious hot summers, blustery Autumns, frozen and snowy winters, beautiful warm springtimes. It feels like that has been happening to the UK ever since LD1 last March.

People's expectations around the weather are endlessly fascinating. We had a day near the end of February that came very close to breaking the Central England Temperature record for that day (back to 1772), and yet it fits into expectations of typical weather for the season.

Quite remarkable.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/graphs/HadCET_act_graphEX.gif
    Yes, beautiful and most welcome the recent weather certainly has been, but seasonal it ain't.
    It is today. We're officially in Spring.
    Looking forward to March 28th when, according to my Economist Diary, UK and EU Official Summer Time begins.

:wink:
    One of the greatest difficulties of parenthood is explaining, every three months or so, the difference between meteorological summer, astronomical summer, British Summer Time, and just a nice day.
    I often think that in the UK the variation between consecutive days can be greater than the average variation between the seasons.
    Didn't someone say that, statistically, the best predictor of tomorrow's weather is today's weather?
    I don’t think it’s quite that.

I believe that if you guess that tomorrow will be the same as today you will, on average, be correct more often than a meteorologist.

But it’s really just to do with the fact that weather patterns persist
    You won't be correct more than a meteorologist these days, but it does form the baseline for meteorological predictions. If your model is worse than "same as today" then you might as well switch it off.

I believe "same as today" is about 50% accurate in the UK. Obviously in some countries it will be nearly 100% accurate.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Scott_xP said:
    What will be really interesting is whether they sacrifice Swinney to withhold the legal advice.
  • Options
    She is also top of the Labour list for the region (no SNP-stlye self-ID'd BAME and Disabled privilege here) and so assured of returning to Holyrood.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    TimT said:

Sounds a bit like Dollhouse. 'Empty' Dolls could be imprinted with custom personalities and rented for some period of time by wealthy customers.

Spoiled only by the lead actress. The other performances are really good, and the 2 extra episodes that didn't air originally are quite compelling.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986

What will be really interesting is whether they sacrifice Swinney to withhold the legal advice.

If the only reason to withhold the legal advice is to save Nippy, then Swinney is a goner
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

If you are a Sci-Fi fan, The Expanse is a great watch.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Andy_JS said:
    rpjs said:

Andy_JS said:
    I'm looking forward to not having to routinely wear a mask, but I do hope post-pandemic that it becomes socially expected for people with coughs and sneezes to mask in public, as is the case in east Asia. I think I'd also carry a mask with me in the winter to put on if I see someone coughing or sneezing near me on public transport.
    One of the very few good things to come out of this horror show will be that those with coughs and sneezes will stay away from offices and WFH if they are well enough. Offices in November were disgusting breeding grounds for germs. It will be completely unacceptable from now on.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Scott_xP said:
    Then you would really know how bad it is for them. They are running out of ammunition.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

I thought telomeres were effectively null padding to protect the actual information, and you lose some padding each time a cell divides. Once you've got no padding, cell division no longer works.

Yep - telomeres are repeats of TTAGGG (human) that protect chromosomes. During cell replication some of the end bases are lost each time, so ultimately the chromosome becomes unstable, and senescence sets in, with cell death. Many cancers upregulate telomerase, which adds extra bases to the chromosome, meaning the cancer cells can become 'immortal'. There are some experimental drugs targetting telomerase (possibly best as a combination therapy).

The idea of making our cell lines immortal has a superficial attraction, but biology is just too complicated for that.

Not heard of the longer telomeres from older fathers thing.
    Telomere lengthening was achieved last year in Israel by O2 therapy. Been a while since I saw his lectures but AdG thinks there are 9 milestones to arresting and reversing ageing. He says his fellow researchers see a visible pathway to achieving them all but don’t like to talk about it as publicly as he does.

I reckon we’re not far away from an “immortal” mouse. And the strangest thing will happen. Most people won’t even notice.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Scott_xP said:
    If Boris does get to open up the pubs early, just in time for the elections, May could be very interesting.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "-This is turnin' into a hell of a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?
    -If it isn't, it'll do until the mess gets here"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Starmer has got 2021 to turn that around, or he's toast....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

If you can put up with the subtitles, and yet another online streamer, this Korean political drama is exceedingly entertaining.
    https://www.viki.com/tv/25771c-punch
    Corrupt prosecutor finds out he has six months to live, and decides to bring down his corrupt mentor. The plotting is mad but brilliant.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    UK's decision to slash aid for Yemen will cause starvation, says former minister
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/01/uk-under-pressure-over-plan-slash-aid-yemen-civil-war-famine
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    Most people want to move on.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757

Scott_xP said:
    Starmer has got 2021 to turn that around, or he's toast....
    You mean he has all of last year to make his mark?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Scott_xP said:
    "-This is turnin' into a hell of a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?
    -If it isn't, it'll do until the mess gets here"
    Breaking: @johnswinney
    intends to release the key legal advice to Holyrood committee tomorrow
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is the way to go.

I cannot understand that. AFAIK you can be painlessly sent to sleep, then finished off with morphine. They did it to my stepmum (in a hospice). That's distressing just to READ
    I believe with Swiss rules you have to actively terminate your own life. Being hooked up to a morphine drop is deemed passive
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    sarissa said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

If you are a Sci-Fi fan, The Expanse is a great watch.
    Forget all that. The new Ishiguro is published tomorrow.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Nigelb said:

This, and Naomi Wolf's recent mad tweet, provide further evidence for my assertion that analogies rarely illuminate, and often do quite the opposite.

https://twitter.com/Garnet_Smuczer/status/1365879949031333894

People who offer them behave like they’re giving you a pair of binoculars, but usually it turns out they have been looking through the wrong end?
This discussion has been closed.