Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Total UK vaccinations heading for 10m – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    rcs1000 said:

The AZN number test is too low, as they trialled the vaccine in multiple countries, and had something like 30,000 people in total having had it.
    Hospitalized from the vaccine would be a useful column even if it's another row of zeros.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    kle4 said:

Perhaps the EU could suggest to China that 'best efforts' means you absolutely must deliver on the commitments?

Or...is that what they've always thought it meant given recent comments, and didn't realise China could do otherwise?
    But did it include the word ‘reasonable?’

New low for UVDL if she can be trolled by Juncker. I suppose now his aides have been locked up for wiretapping and he’s been let off he feels freer to speak out.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021

More of those 'adjustments' as the economy adapts to the sunlit uplands:

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1356314648748953600

More special pleading, more like. Don’t begrudge them it - if they can get extra subsidies by showing some bleeding stumps then they are doing their job. Like unions and pay rises.
    Yes, it's only a £35bn industry, 1.6% of GDP, mainly comprising small companies. Expendable like the fishing industry, and the lamb exporters, the small wine importers, anyone selling small quantities of anything to EU consumers, the theatre and music industry, international architects, and of course Northern Ireland.

As @Philip_Thompson is fond of reminding us, the economy will adjust. Pity it will adjust downwards with all those businesses clobbered or shut altogether.
    I know the square root of f**k all about the fashion industry so wouldn't have a single thing to comment on that.

But as for economics, absolutely we will adjust. We'll see whether its upwards or downwards, I expect it will be upwards by the end of the decade, but there certainly may be a hockey stick shape to it.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Mortimer said:

I'm confident/hopeful that the vaccination drive will reduce deaths ultimately by more than the amount quoted - albeit with the a few weeks lag due to the gap between vaccination to protection. Regrettably lots of current infections and hospitalisations need to wind out to a conclusion one way or another.

But going forwards yes vaccinations should help protect the vaccinated individual against death, but they should also help build an element of herd immunity towards reducing the spread of the virus.

I suspect we're already seeing a factor of that with the vaccination of care and NHS workers who were unwitting superspreaders of the virus.

If the vaccine protects the vaccinated against death and protects others against spread then R should come down sustainably below 1.

So long as everyone gets their vaccine - and so long as we don't import a vaccine-resistant variant, which is why it should be mandatory hotel quarantines from now until when we can declare the pandemic over. Once lifted, never again for this pandemic should we have domestic restrictions as opposed to international ones.

That's our future? Panic induced fortress Britain afraid of its own shadow for ever?

FFS.
    I find it interesting, after last year when many expectations were that this would be over quickly, that the vast majority of my friends now think it will be 'years' before we're back to normal. PB was recently very excited about the authoritarian idea of vaccine passports.

My feelings are that we'll be back to pretty much normal by July, possibly June, with the exception of holidays. And probably back to normal Europe-wide by next Christmas.

I'm hoping so, anyway, as I have an annual trip to Stuttgart scheduled for Jan 2022!
    I think your perceived consensus is wrong (edit - just noticed I misread your post, apologies, ignore that bit!), but your expectations are fine.

Tier 3 - March
    Tier 2 - April
    Tier 1 - May/June
    < Tier 1 but some restrictions and continued guidance the rest of the year

International travel is harder to judge.
    I would happily vote for any party that said children and young people have a human right to an uninterrupted in-person education in peacetime under any circumstances whatever.

Whatever.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I'm confident/hopeful that the vaccination drive will reduce deaths ultimately by more than the amount quoted - albeit with the a few weeks lag due to the gap between vaccination to protection. Regrettably lots of current infections and hospitalisations need to wind out to a conclusion one way or another.

But going forwards yes vaccinations should help protect the vaccinated individual against death, but they should also help build an element of herd immunity towards reducing the spread of the virus.

I suspect we're already seeing a factor of that with the vaccination of care and NHS workers who were unwitting superspreaders of the virus.

If the vaccine protects the vaccinated against death and protects others against spread then R should come down sustainably below 1.

So long as everyone gets their vaccine - and so long as we don't import a vaccine-resistant variant, which is why it should be mandatory hotel quarantines from now until when we can declare the pandemic over. Once lifted, never again for this pandemic should we have domestic restrictions as opposed to international ones.

That's our future? Panic induced fortress Britain afraid of its own shadow for ever?

FFS.
    I find it interesting, after last year when many expectations were that this would be over quickly, that the vast majority of my friends now think it will be 'years' before we're back to normal. PB was recently very excited about the authoritarian idea of vaccine passports.

My feelings are that we'll be back to pretty much normal by July, possibly June, with the exception of holidays. And probably back to normal Europe-wide by next Christmas.

I'm hoping so, anyway, as I have an annual trip to Stuttgart scheduled for Jan 2022!
    I think your perceived consensus is wrong (edit - just noticed I misread your post, apologies, ignore that bit!), but your expectations are fine.

Tier 3 - March
    Tier 2 - April
    Tier 1 - May/June

I would happily vote for any party that said children and young people have a human right to an uninterrupted in-person education in peacetime under any circumstances whatever.

Whatever.
    Bit harsh, everyone needs some sleep.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Finally found the limit on number of jobs to have at any one time I guess.
    I still think Lord Osborne will be in the Cabinet by 2024. He’s topping up his cash in advance.
    Let's hope so. Robey Warshaw is a hell of a place to do a spot of cash-topping-up.
    Eat what you kill though
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited February 2021

I know the square root of f**k all about the X industry so wouldn't have a single thing to comment on that.

I feel that you're limiting yourself unnecessarily.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    ydoethur said:

Titter.

'I know he's Scotch but this bloke's no bloody good, made me a laughing stock. is Kelvin McKenzie free?'

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1356311297768509446?s=20

Alex Salmond's currently free, and doing more damage to the SNP than every WEstminster politician put together (which is still not much).

And Johnson of course would have no issues with hiring a depraved sex maniac with links to Putin and Trump who is obsessed with obscure points of nationalism based on delusions to the extreme detriment of his own country.

Not often I get the chance to troll Nats and Tories in the same post, I’m loving it.
    "Links to [...] Trump". Only in the sense that Mr Trump hates his guts.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Reddit/Gamestop/Silver - can't help but think that secretly some institutional investors are rubbing their hands with glee at what is going on. I feel a lot of people are going to get sucked into this and lose a lot of money.
  • Options
    Weekend effects (some don't vaccinate on weekend?) Germany picking up.

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Titter.

'I know he's Scotch but this bloke's no bloody good, made me a laughing stock. is Kelvin McKenzie free?'

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1356311297768509446?s=20

Alex Salmond's currently free, and doing more damage to the SNP than every WEstminster politician put together (which is still not much).

And Johnson of course would have no issues with hiring a depraved sex maniac with links to Putin and Trump who is obsessed with obscure points of nationalism based on delusions to the extreme detriment of his own country.

Not often I get the chance to troll Nats and Tories in the same post, I’m loving it.
    "Links to [...] Trump". Only in the sense that Mr Trump hates his guts.
    So that's yet another thing they have in common?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

In my first year of undergraduate in 2010, I received a maintenance grant of 30 whole pounds. You can rest assured that I spent it in one night.

Textbooks are expensive, it is true.
    So is Newky Brown.
    Sophisticated wine drinkers went for Chunderbird in my day and ate exclusively Italian food: boiled pasta, mincemeat and a tube of tomato paste; pizza on special occasions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I still think Lord Osborne will be in the Cabinet by 2024. He’s topping up his cash in advance.
    Let's hope so. Robey Warshaw is a hell of a place to do a spot of cash-topping-up.
    Fun fact, I was once at the same dinner table as Lady Robey.

Christ on a bike, the champagnes they were ordering cost more than a week in a cottage in The Cotswolds.
    Their website is a masterpiece:

http://www.robeywarshaw.com/
    One of those 'if you need to ask who we are and what we do, you can't afford us' situations, or just trying to beat website squatters?
    It's more that they make a big thing about ensuring deals aren't leaked before everything is done.

Discretion is key in that sector.
    Gotcha - they work with dodgy people

(Dear RobeyWarshaw, the preceding statement was made in jest, and in no way should be construed as an accusation of legal or financial impropriety on behalf of RobeyWarshaw, its employees or any of its clients)
    Hah.

They do work in mergers and acquisitions, if any of that leaked, it would move markets, and probably trigger all sorts of insider trader investigations.

What do Anheuser-Busch InBev £79 billion ($104.3 billion) takeover of SABMiller, Royal Dutch Shell’s £35 billion ($46.2 billion) merger with BG Group, and Softbank’s £24.3 billion ($32 billion) acquisition of Arm Holdings all have in common? The boutique London M&A firm Robey Warshaw had a hand in all of them.

https://www.firmex.com/resources/blog/meet-boutique-london-firm-besting-goldman-sachs-bank-america-deutsche-bank-uk-ma-market/
    Which of those deals were actually any good?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    RobD said:
    Is everyone quite sure that isn't a spoof?
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Is the next one in the list William Wallace, followed by a section asking them all to pledge allegiance to the flag?
  • Options

Ireland had a good day.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Christ on a bike, the champagnes they were ordering cost more than a week in a cottage in The Cotswolds.

One of those 'if you need to ask who we are and what we do, you can't afford us' situations, or just trying to beat website squatters?
    It's more that they make a big thing about ensuring deals aren't leaked before everything is done.

(Dear RobeyWarshaw, the preceding statement was made in jest, and in no way should be construed as an accusation of legal or financial impropriety on behalf of RobeyWarshaw, its employees or any of its clients)
    Hah.

They do work in mergers and acquisitions, if any of that leaked, it would move markets, and probably trigger all sorts of insider trader investigations.

What do Anheuser-Busch InBev £79 billion ($104.3 billion) takeover of SABMiller, Royal Dutch Shell’s £35 billion ($46.2 billion) merger with BG Group, and Softbank’s £24.3 billion ($32 billion) acquisition of Arm Holdings all have in common? The boutique London M&A firm Robey Warshaw had a hand in all of them.

https://www.firmex.com/resources/blog/meet-boutique-london-firm-besting-goldman-sachs-bank-america-deutsche-bank-uk-ma-market/
    Well they were certainly good for Robey Warshaw.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Ireland had a good day.
    UK>EU
  • Options

RobD said:
    Is that tweeter not the founder of the Northumberland Party? And a former Labour election candidate? and now Tory cooncillor? or am I imagining it? Anything is possible with such a chap.
  • Options

Might simply be down to chronic shortages.

RIBECOURT-LA-TOUR, France - Renaud Georges was days from receiving his first coronavirus vaccine shot, an injection he hoped would allow him to hug his grandchildren for the first time in months. Then he received a text message informing him the appointment was cancelled.

“It’s a massive disappointment,” he said. “For us the vaccine is the only way out of this miserable crisis.”

The retired school teacher said because of a shortage of vaccine doses, the next available slot was March 10. His wife Annie, who two months shy of her 75th birthday and in good health is not seen as a priority, does not know when she will get inoculated.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-vaccines-idUSKBN29Y2OL
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:
    Is that tweeter not the founder of the Northumberland Party? And a former Labour election candidate? and now Tory cooncillor? or am I imagining it? Anything is possible with such a chap.
    Hm, you think it's fake?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Hah.

BG group was good for me!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:
    Hm, you think it's fake?
    First thing with anything that looks odd is to look at who is tweeting. That resume is as ... well, you fill it in.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2021
    dixiedean said:

Many thanks for the advice yesterday. Partner is now on the group 2 priority list at our GP, and has been told she will hear within a week.
    A reminder to others. GP's don't necessarily, magically know your occupation. If you are a designated priority worker they want to know.
    Even if their website asks you not to contact them about your vaccine.
    Tell your friends to call or email them with proof.

Also don't forget the online booking site. A couple of people on here last night got slots by using it after being worried that GP had missed them.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

FFS.

Tier 3 - March
    Tier 2 - April
    Tier 1 - May/June

Whatever.
    The problem with that is who do you force to teach them?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:
    Hm, you think it's fake?
    First thing with anything that looks odd is to look at who is tweeting. That resume is as ... well, you fill it in.
    FWIW whoever's responsible has made a right shoddy job of it. Nicola Sturgeon's in the wrong font for starters. Even I can see that.
  • Options
    Who could have guessed that Brian was perhaps not on the level....

BBC News - Evan Rachel Wood accuses Marilyn Manson of abuse
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55889002
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    Wales now with the lowest case rate by reporting date:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Hah.

BG group was good for me!
    My daughter picked up some cheap Shell T&T after it was announced
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Many thanks for the advice yesterday. Partner is now on the group 2 priority list at our GP, and has been told she will hear within a week.
    A reminder to others. GP's don't necessarily, magically know your occupation. If you are a designated priority worker they want to know.
    Even if their website asks you not to contact them about your vaccine.
    Tell your friends to call or email them with proof.

Also don't forget the online booking site. A couple of people on here last night got slots by using it after being worried that GP had missed them.
    I was one of them.

The NHS knew I was extremely vulnerable though, which might not be the same here if they don't know about key worker status.

It can't do any harm to try though.
  • Options

Who could have guessed that Brian was perhaps not on the level....

BBC News - Evan Rachel Wood accuses Marilyn Manson of abuse
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55889002

I'm surprised actually. When interviewed he always comes across to me as a nice chap.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Speaking of wealth management companies websites I have always loved Berkshire-Hathaway

https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    MaxPB said:

That put down of the China deal is damning, pointing out that the Commission is basically throwing away the diplomatic relationship with the US.

I think Juncker would have been much smarter on the vaccine programme, he would have let those four nations do loads of priority access deals with investment subsidies and such that expanded the European vaccine production base same as we have done, then once the first vaccine was approved he would have forced all four to hand them over to the commission and pay for it out of EU money. There would probably only be 1.5-1.7bn doses purchased but at the same time each of those deals would be for priority delivery and lots of additional investment in domestic manufacturing.

That strategy insulates the commission and EU from fucking it up and if those four nations succeed the commission say "unity and solidarity" for a while, stick EU branding on it and claim it as a success for the commission. If it fails then "health isn't an EU competence, clearly it should be" and say "more Europe" a lot.
    I think a half blind wombat would have been better than UvdL.

She's been an utter disaster. Replace her with... well, pretty much anyone.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054

Useful graph, based on the assumption that we don't ramp up the vaccination rate any further, and that everyone takes up the offer of a vaccine. In practice we should do better on the ramp-up, and the fact that not everyone will take up the offer will move the dates for starting groups 5 onwards slightly sooner (albeit with big local variations):

https://twitter.com/john_actuary/status/1356273456107708416

I thought we'd already done 600,000 in a single day?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Alistair said:

Speaking of wealth management companies websites I have always loved Berkshire-Hathaway

I guess you can tell the companies that don't need to sell themselves by the websites.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Mortimer said:

FFS.

Tier 3 - March
    Tier 2 - April
    Tier 1 - May/June

Whatever.
    Why restrict it unnecessarily to peacetime?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

I guess you can tell the companies that don't need to sell themselves by the websites.
    It's the ad for car insurance that gets me every time.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Useful graph, based on the assumption that we don't ramp up the vaccination rate any further, and that everyone takes up the offer of a vaccine. In practice we should do better on the ramp-up, and the fact that not everyone will take up the offer will move the dates for starting groups 5 onwards slightly sooner (albeit with big local variations):

The aim now should be building capacity to do a million a day, with hopefully getting 4-5m doses done per week.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

That put down of the China deal is damning, pointing out that the Commission is basically throwing away the diplomatic relationship with the US.

I think Juncker would have been much smarter on the vaccine programme, he would have let those four nations do loads of priority access deals with investment subsidies and such that expanded the European vaccine production base same as we have done, then once the first vaccine was approved he would have forced all four to hand them over to the commission and pay for it out of EU money. There would probably only be 1.5-1.7bn doses purchased but at the same time each of those deals would be for priority delivery and lots of additional investment in domestic manufacturing.

That strategy insulates the commission and EU from fucking it up and if those four nations succeed the commission say "unity and solidarity" for a while, stick EU branding on it and claim it as a success for the commission. If it fails then "health isn't an EU competence, clearly it should be" and say "more Europe" a lot.

It's easy to blame the commission. From the piece I read yesterday I wondered how much of the problems came from saying we'll do t all collectively but still having to get all 27 to agree at every stage. Imagine if Trump/Biden needed all the Governors to agree before doing anything?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Have they not updated it since 1990s?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

It's easy to blame the commission. From the piece I read yesterday I wondered how much of the problems came from saying we'll do t all collectively but still having to get all 27 to agree at every stage. Imagine if Trump/Biden needed all the Governors to agree before doing anything?
    But that's her fault too, a smarter politician would have let Italy, Germany, France and the Netherlands contract for 1.2-1.3bn of priority supply and around 200-300m from the others of ordinary supply then swooped in screaming "unity and solidarity" at the four big nations and comparing them to the selfish Brits until they handed over their contracts to the EU for fair distribution.

She got herself involved unnecessarily and that's why she's to blame.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1356345191247060995

I don't buy it for one second, but if only it came to pass...
  • Options

New stretch target of a million a day should be the goal.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,046

Is this 'by the start of May' or 'by the end of May'?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,990
    edited February 2021

Alistair said:

I remember websites like this in 1993 when I saw them for the first time at an American science park. Not necessarily a bad thing because simple is sometimes best.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

I remember websites like this in 1993 when I saw them for the first time at an American science park. Not necessarily a bad thing because simple is sometimes best.
    Probably saved them a fortune.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,515
    Andy_JS said:

"Dante's descendant seeks to overturn poet's 1302 corruption conviction

Seven centuries after the poet was found guilty in Florence, Sperello di Serego Alighieri has begun a campaign to clear his ancestor’s name"

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/feb/01/dante-descendant-seeks-to-overturn-poets-1302-corruption-conviction

True story. On a trip to Florence a couple of years ago I had a coffee with a cafe owner and leather goods dealer whose family are mentioned in the Divine Comedy, as being leather goods dealers, in the exact same street - same shop - in Florence where they still sell leather goods today
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

At the bottom it says:

"If you have any comments about our WEB page, you can write us at the address shown above. However, due to the limited number of personnel in our corporate office, we are unable to provide a direct response."

:lol:
  • Options

It could be done, I think it's realistic.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Without speeding up they're going to get 30m (i.e 60%) by end of March, so assuming they have new vaccine supplies coming online to allow them to continue new doses when 2nd doses start to be required, this really isn't that ambitious.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:
    Why did they ever stick up a statue of Reverse Buller?

It was insult to all those who died and were wounded during Black Week.

Keeping up that statue is an insult to veterans.
    He is there for the undergraduates to put traffic cones on his head, and to celebrate his dictum to a journalist who questioned the number of cases of Veuve Clicquot among his supplies that "i don't mind living on bread and cheese and beer but I cannot abide cheap champagne."
    He's not wrong. You can get excellent bread and cheese and beer for a few quid. But skimping on wine, UGH
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    I think I've told this story on here before, but my friend runs a sheet metal fabrication company and he gets cold calls from website designers. They say "we've been looking at your website and we think we can make it much better." To which he responds "that's interesting, because we don't have a website."
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is this 'by the start of May' or 'by the end of May'?
    says 'start'

• Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Seven centuries after the poet was found guilty in Florence, Sperello di Serego Alighieri has begun a campaign to clear his ancestor’s name"

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/feb/01/dante-descendant-seeks-to-overturn-poets-1302-corruption-conviction

True story. On a trip to Florence a couple of years ago I had a coffee with a cafe owner and leather goods dealer whose family are mentioned in the Divine Comedy, as being leather goods dealers, in the exact same street - same shop - in Florence where they still sell leather goods today
    Are you shitting me? That's crazy.

Though there is that Japanese family company which lasted 1400 years, apparently, which has been mentioned before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongō_Gumi

Imagining being the failure who had to sell the company at the end of that dynasty.
  • Options

New stretch target of a million a day should be the goal.
    it would be interesting to know what they would entail. a lot more vaccination centres and more use of GPs?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Now that every care home resident & staff has been offered a jab, I wonder what the overall take up has been. You can't force the needle into anyone's arm (Wellyou can but it'd be assault).
    Residents/staff split ?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Without speeding up they're going to get 30m (i.e 60%) by end of March, so assuming they have new vaccine supplies coming online to allow them to continue new doses when 2nd doses start to be required, this really isn't that ambitious.
    Well maybe, if absolutely nothing goes wrong at any point.

It'd be such a relief to get the vaccine, and doubly so if most of the restrictions could be chucked in the bin at some point in June.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,550

kle4 said:

I may have to rescind my observation that SLab might have a chance of retaking second place at Holyrood.

https://twitter.com/sparkyhamill/status/1356310901490675713?s=20

But he remembered a flag at least.
    Are other Unionists all thick? You stand by the side of the Scottish leader, defer to them, and heavily feature the Saltire. If you’re Labour, you need to be saying ONLY you can be a forceful voice for Scotland within the Union with an actual chance of power in Westminster. You emphasise how inclusive and U.K. wide Labour Governments are and try to move anti-English sentiment into anti-Tory sentiment, with you as the standard bearer. The target can’t be to win, but it can be to peel off 5-10% of the SNP vote.
    Might be slightly hampered by the fact that they don't have a Scottish Leader. Otherwise, great concept.
  • Options

The aim now should be building capacity to do a million a day, with hopefully getting 4-5m doses done per week.
    Absolutely. This is the true moonshot, not the testing nonsense Cummings spent his last sad months working on.

Cost almost no object since lockdown is a gigantic daily economic hit.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Solidarity is all comrade. Everything else is secondary.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I may have to rescind my observation that SLab might have a chance of retaking second place at Holyrood.

https://twitter.com/sparkyhamill/status/1356310901490675713?s=20

But he remembered a flag at least.
    Are other Unionists all thick? You stand by the side of the Scottish leader, defer to them, and heavily feature the Saltire. If you’re Labour, you need to be saying ONLY you can be a forceful voice for Scotland within the Union with an actual chance of power in Westminster. You emphasise how inclusive and U.K. wide Labour Governments are and try to move anti-English sentiment into anti-Tory sentiment, with you as the standard bearer. The target can’t be to win, but it can be to peel off 5-10% of the SNP vote.
    Might be slightly hampered by the fact that they don't have a Scottish Leader. Otherwise, great concept.
    They never have a Scottish leader. It's all the same party financially and electorally.

But who thought that flag and that combination of clothing would appeal to the indy-voting Labour voters?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Panorama is a frustrating programme these days..they have a great story this evening, but 30 mins isn't long enough to properly explain it.
  • Options

RobD said:
    I actually hope it is. Much as I love to mock Nats. It cannot be true?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Though there is that Japanese family company which lasted 1400 years, apparently, which has been mentioned before.

Imagining being the failure who had to sell the company at the end of that dynasty.
    That's like BAe having the contract for King Raedwalda's ship at Sutton Hoo!
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

maaarsh said:

It'd be such a relief to get the vaccine, and doubly so if most of the restrictions could be chucked in the bin at some point in June.
    Awful result if restrictions last that long. Cases are falling through the floor, and by end of February the ability of Covid to overwhelm the NHS will be eliminated. At that point the only reason to delay return of freedom to those who want it, at a cost of a billion a week, is a deeply misplaced sense of what consistutes prudence.
  • Options
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Solidarity is all comrade. Everything else is secondary.
    But the point is they had to decide. Did they want to do it all collectively or not? It's no use saying we'll do it all as one if you're having to get all 27 parties signed up to every development.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I am wrong about panorama, they are taking 60 mins this evening.
  • Options

What is the story?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    wf1954 said:

NHS are motoring through Group 5 here (Farnham, Surrey) already. My wife and I, both 66 with no underlying conditions) received texts at 2pm today, and had ours (Pfizer) at 7pm tonight. Extremely efficient and well-organised set-up.

That does seem to be the overwhelming experience, just how well organized it is.
  • Options

What is the story?
    Irish mob feud and how they are involved in world of boxing.
  • Options

If we did 9m jabs in January, at that run rate its about another 36m jabs by May, of which 18m would need to be second jabs. So current run rate gets us to 25-30m jabs or 30m-35m adults offered one assuming 10-20% dont want it or cant take it for medical reasons. Thats about 60-70% of adults without any increase in the run rate. There will surely be a significant increase in the run rate.

We should be close to that date, if not quite "all adults offered one" by then. Id back it happening at 3/1.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely true. I even went back to La Divinia Commedia to check
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Now that every care home resident & staff has been offered a jab, I wonder what the overall take up has been. You can't force the needle into anyone's arm (Wellyou can but it'd be assault).
    Residents/staff split ?

‘Offered a jab’ smells a bit whiffy in the context of a target of all care home residents to be vaccinated by the end of January. I believe the original target was the 24th but it turns out that was an ‘expectation’ not a target.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

In my first year of undergraduate in 2010, I received a maintenance grant of 30 whole pounds. You can rest assured that I spent it in one night.

That would have got you 50 pints of Mild in my freshers year.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

‘Offered a jab’ smells a bit whiffy in the context of a target of all care home residents to be vaccinated by the end of January. I believe the original target was the 24th but it turns out that was an ‘expectation’ not a target.
    I mean you can't force them to have it.
  • Options

That would have got you 50 pints of Mild in my freshers year.
    That was expensive beer: I would have got 66...
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Awful result if restrictions last that long. Cases are falling through the floor, and by end of February the ability of Covid to overwhelm the NHS will be eliminated. At that point the only reason to delay return of freedom to those who want it, at a cost of a billion a week, is a deeply misplaced sense of what consistutes prudence.
    Unleashing the virus and letting it run amok amongst most of the population might be regarded as being somewhat premature.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

I read in the Western Morning News a few weeks ago that the take up from HCWs increased quite a lot when they saw how keen their residents were to have the jab.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

Sturgeon tried spinning that Scotland had "done" jabs while England had "offered" them:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1356264265905303557?s=20
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    MaxPB said:

It could be done, I think it's realistic.
    It will all depend on the supply - and they know what the supply schedule looks like. Sounds promising.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

In that case I’m sure that they’ve published the figure for those who remain unvaccinated, what with that being quite important in the middle of a highly contagious viral pandemic.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2021

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

I think offered solely in the context in care homes is deliberate.

One thing you find is that plenty of care home residents have dementia and other memory problems, which makes them very resistant (and often violent) to those 'strangers' trying to inject them.

As Pulpstar says you cannot force an injection into someone resisting.

But according to my father's colleague, enough jabs have been made available to vaccinate every care home resident and staff.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Interesting to see how easily 'hagiography' slips into the Celtic lexicon.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

One thing you find is that plenty of care home residents have dementia and other memory problems, which makes them very resistant (and often violent) to those 'strangers' trying to inject them.

But according to my father's colleague, enough jabs have been made available to vaccinate every care home resident and staff.
    I’m very familiar with people with dementia being resistant to various things, thanks.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Interesting to see how easily 'hagiography' slips into the Celtic lexicon.
    I don't know who the two people shown are, but they aren't Donald Dewar or Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

No but there really should be a debate about whether it should be a requirement to work in healthcare, especially amongst the elderly and most frail.
  • Options
    This may bugger up the number of vaccines delivered and jabbed this week.

This week will see wintry conditions continue across Scotland, and for a time across northern England. Cold air is expected to push south and west across the whole of the UK through the coming weekend.

A number of National Severe Weather warnings have been issued for snow and ice throughout the coming week.

Met Office Chief Meteorologist, Frank Saunders, said: “Rain will push into the South West of the UK on Monday evening, bringing some heavy rain for southern areas. As the weather front ‘bumps’ into colder air further north, the rain will turn to snow, and with up to 4 cm falling quite widely a snow and ice warning has been issued.

“5-10 cm could fall above 150m in Southern Scotland and northern England with the potential for 20 cm or more across the highest roads. As well as snow, a period of freezing rain is possible for parts of northern England.”

Further spells of snow, heavy at times, are expected to continue to affect parts of the far north of England and Scotland on Wednesday. Significant accumulations of 10 to 20 cm or more are possible over higher ground which could bring further disruption to travel.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2021/more-snow-to-come-010221
  • Options
    edited February 2021

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

In that case I’m sure that they’ve published the figure for those who remain unvaccinated, what with that being quite important in the middle of a highly contagious viral pandemic.
    Isn't that number already published? It's been offered to everyone, but the numbers they release refer to actual vaccinations. In any case, the number of those vaccinated cannot go any higher since they have all been offered it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Residents/staff split ?

No but there really should be a debate about whether it should be a requirement to work in healthcare, especially amongst the elderly and most frail.
    I agree.
  • Options
    Watch out, Ministers of Emperor Xi, reshuffles are serious business.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Indeed. We should be aiming for 1m/day capacity by spring, and have rolling vaccine development structures planned to keep ahead of this thing.

This discussion has been closed.