Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The vaccine wars shouldn’t surprise us given how COVID has blighted life around the world – politica

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Chris said:

Am I the only lifelong pro-European who is starting to think we're better off outside the EU?

Probably not.

The problem is not the EU - though it's structure doesn't help. Nor the habit of some countries for using it as a place to promote-out-harms-way political titans such the ex-German Defence Minister. Who defeated Gavin Williamson for the Gavin Williamson Managerial Prize.

The problem is what happens when real shortages of really important things occur.
    Individual countries could have opted out of the EU scheme within the EU. I expect those that might have done so politically, say Poland and Hungary had the least internal capability though.
    Would the UK Gov't been bold enough to do so ? Possibly, it's an open question though and there's an awful lot of pressure to fall in line within the EU.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

So the answer to my questions about the UK vaccine response has been almost entirely "WHAT ABOUT THE EU? WAAAAAAAHHHHHH"

Thanks for playing, lads...

Err, no. Try again, maybe read the responses.

Or the VTF report. 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

So the answer to my questions about the UK vaccine response has been almost entirely "WHAT ABOUT THE EU? WAAAAAAAHHHHHH"

You’ve been provided with text and links describing the response in detail. Not our fault if you don’t actually want to engage on the topic.
    I imagine he cut and pasted some banging twitter links.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Floater said:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1354745374297227265

The insanity continues (for clarity, I am not referencing our very own Scott)

Their inability to back down means they continually double down.

I have expect them to investigate the factory and accidently do something that contaminates a batch
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Scott_xP said:

RH1992 said:

Nope, and I don't think economically we'll be better off outside the EU but I do agree that in situations that require fast action like vaccines we'll be a much nimbler country. If we can use this to our advantage on issues such as sanctions in the future (e.g the EU pissed about over Belarus because of Cyprus) then that's the real benefit of Brexit in my view. However, that all relies on a government willing to grab the controls and not just flail about as has happened with the other coronavirus restrictions.

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1354751023617875969
    You know approval is only one part of the story here. Moderna was approved outside of the EU's framework since we're no longer under the transition period and J&J will be the same. The EU didn't stop us, but it didn't help us.

Reaching a deal with AZ back in May/June and pumping cash in to help development and production is exactly what was needed. It's not our fault that the EU took three months to discuss how best to portray this as a win for European unity before signing a contract.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Oh great. Having a bunch of bureaucrats, who haven't the faintest idea about vaccine production, wandering about the factory asking dumb questions is a curious way to help AZ concentrate on overcoming the problems.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    #DefundSwayne

Or take away his knighthood.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

UK vaccine response to what? The gibberish you posted.

Currently it's a case of when the argument has nothing to do with you do nothing.

If and when the EU stops Pfizer from exporting to the UK and invades Wales to get UK AZN stock then we need to do something.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    Floater said:

That'll speed things up no end.....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Yes, the government's performance on vaccinations is great. Taken in the round, when considering the investments made in development, it arguably merits the description of "world-leading".

However, I do worry that, because the government made such a mess of other aspects of the pandemic - self-isolation, contact-tracing, quarantine - that we have now created the ideal conditions (a high infection rate and people with partial vaccine-acquired immunity) for the virus to mutate to evade the vaccine.

Maybe we will get lucky. I certainly hope so.

You don't have "partial immunity" with vaccines - you have immunity or not as an individual.

In any event it will reduce the number of cases and hence the risk of mutations (approx 1 per million cases)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Floater said:

Oh great. Having a bunch of bureaucrats, who haven't the faintest idea about vaccine production, wandering about the factory asking dumb questions is a curious way to help AZ concentrate on overcoming the problems.
    It's completely mental. Wtf are they thinking, it's such an unnecessary distraction.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Scott_xP said:

The UK vaccine response has been absolutely awesome. Early contracts signed with multiple vendors, investment in local manufacturing, parallel processing of approvals, military resources assisting with logistics.

The result - third in the world of number of jabs in arms so far, with only the much larger USA and China ahead.

If you prefer per capita numbers, then also third in the world, behind two small and rich countries in Israel and UAE, well ahead of all other G20 and EU27 nations.

If one was being charitable, they might want to call it a world-beating programme. Arise Dame Kate Bingham.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

I've been as enthusiastic at slagging off Dominic Cummings as the next man over the last year, but a thought occurred to me last night following our discussion here on the Vaccine Task Force. This initiative is, by a country mile, the very best ting this government has done, probably in fact the only thing it has done well. Not just 'well' in the normal sense of good governance, but something beyond what you can normally expect governments to achieve. Not only has it put us in an excellent position in terms of Covid vaccine availability, but it has also positioned the UK extremely well for what will undoubtedly be a renewed world emphasis on vaccine technology and production. And it has done it super-fast.

And how was it achieved? I find it awkward to admit this, but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that Cummings was behind it. It has all the hallmarks of his approach: by-passing the cumbersome workings of the normal Civil Service approach and instead get a small, talented, goal-focused team to super-charge the initiative. Of course it's an approach with great risks, but in this case also with an even greater pay-off.

Of course virtually the entire media coverage last year on the Vaccine Task Force was devoted to garbage about 'cronies' and 'sleaze'. The fact that this was a spectacular success was lost in the deluge of faux-indignation.

We might owe Cummings an apology...

From Kate Bingham in the VTF report:

We should recognise the flexibility and nimbleness of the civil service and the Ministers who balanced appropriate oversight and governance measures with respect to spending taxpayer money, with the making of big, difficult decisions at pace. Without this streamlining of decision making, it is unlikely that the VTF could have delivered this successful range of outcomes in such a short time.
    Absolutely 100% this.

Some people, I won't name names, have been relentlessly attacking the government and Bingham etc for not religiously abiding by oversight rules during the pandemic. But you can't and do it right.

Now it is coming home to roost. As was said last year when discussing this: you can have it cheap, right or fast - pick two out of three.

This needed to be done quickly, it needed to be done right. So by series of elimination ...
    Moderation in war is imbecility Jacky Fisher
    "Give me my Detonators ... er ... Battleships"

(TBF some of them were detonators)
    We want 8 vaccine factories and We Won't Wait!
    Battlecruisers. Edit: And the Glorious/Furious with their 18". Not to mention the Hood. Just to show what can go wrong with that approach ...
    It is an interesting irony that the Curious, Spurious etc turned out to be a far better investment than the R class battleships.

The three of them formed the first homogenous aircraft carrier class in the world, and allowed the RN to start developing the methodologies for multi-carrier strike.

In WWII they were useful frontline ships, while great effort was expended in making sure the Rs never got too close to actual enemies.

Hood only went to fight Bismark because of timing. She was the only 30 knot battleship for a long time, in the RN. The plan was that by the time war was probable (1942 - the point where the German naval plans would be ready), the KGVs would be in service and the battlecruisers either scrapped or retained for fighting cruisers/commerce raiders.

But Hitler jumped the gun on his own plans.....
  • Options
    eek said:

Floater said:

I have expect them to investigate the factory and accidently do something that contaminates a batch
    Double down and double down again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSs-O1ppxs4
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,989
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

The UK vaccine response has been absolutely awesome. Early contracts signed with multiple vendors, investment in local manufacturing, parallel processing of approvals, military resources assisting with logistics.

The result - third in the world of number of jabs in arms so far, with only the much larger USA and China ahead.

If you prefer per capita numbers, then also third in the world, behind two small and rich countries in Israel and UAE, well ahead of all other G20 and EU27 nations.

If one was being charitable, they might want to call it a world-beating programme. Arise Dame Kate Bingham.
    They had to get one thing right eventually, still no prizes 1/10 must try harder is best you could say on overall performance. We are still bottom of the league and destined to end there, hard to see many overtaking us.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Ratesetter returns to full interest. Good sign, particularly for my relationship with my Dad...

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Am I the only lifelong pro-European who is starting to think we're better off outside the EU?

Nope, and I don't think economically we'll be better off outside the EU but I do agree that in situations that require fast action like vaccines we'll be a much nimbler country. If we can use this to our advantage on issues such as sanctions in the future (e.g the EU pissed about over Belarus because of Cyprus) then that's the real benefit of Brexit in my view. However, that all relies on a government willing to grab the controls and not just flail about as has happened with the coronavirus restrictions.
    Fair comment. But at least if Governments can't do that, they can be sacked.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Even @williamglenn the biggest Europhile on this forum has criticised the EU over this.

Ummm, in case you hadn't noticed, we left the EU.

Why would we care what they do?

My question was about the UK response. The whole point of Brexit according to some. Hold our own elected leaders accountable, right?
    We're also not a member of the USA. Yet it doesn't stop people posting a constant stream of stuff about them on here.
    Well quite. As all know we will be entangled with the EU forever, it's on the doorstep. They also talk about us, as they should, because they're not idiots.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

SKS thinks that there’s nothing more essential than defending the Union. Never doubted it for a minute.

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1354737588939194375?s=21

Being serious it illustrates exactly the dilemma for Labour and the LDs if they want to fight for the Union. It may be a lost cause already but all 3 parties need to work together if they are to make a fight. Two or three separate campaigns will not win it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

They had to get one thing right eventually, still no prizes 1/10 must try harder is best you could say on overall performance. We are still bottom of the league and destined to end there, hard to see many overtaking us.
    You’d prefer to see Scotland in the EU scheme then, rather than the UK scheme?
  • Options

Floater said:

Will be BJ be visiting the Valneva plant in Livingston today?
  • Options
    Floater said:

I presume the contract allows such a spot check so its fine, though in the context of very serious allegations being used as a distraction it looks like theater.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Dame? Hereditary dukedom more like.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Nope, and I don't think economically we'll be better off outside the EU but I do agree that in situations that require fast action like vaccines we'll be a much nimbler country. If we can use this to our advantage on issues such as sanctions in the future (e.g the EU pissed about over Belarus because of Cyprus) then that's the real benefit of Brexit in my view. However, that all relies on a government willing to grab the controls and not just flail about as has happened with the coronavirus restrictions.
    Please sir, please sir, how can we North Britons sack this government?
  • Options
    Floater said:

LOL.

I see they've already hired their chief inspector.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Even @williamglenn the biggest Europhile on this forum has criticised the EU over this.

My question was about the UK response. The whole point of Brexit according to some. Hold our own elected leaders accountable, right?
    We're also not a member of the USA. Yet it doesn't stop people posting a constant stream of stuff about them on here.
    Well quite. As all know we will be entangled with the EU forever, it's on the doorstep. They also talk about us, as they should, because they're not idiots.
    It's almost as if some don't want us to talk about how crap the EU has been.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

It's almost as if some don't want us to talk about how crap the EU has been.
    Failed miserably in that enterprise then.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1354742161804324873

The vaccine bounce will be along later.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,274
    This argument over the UK vs EU vaccine performance does show one of the problems with the EU debate in the UK and the UK's inferiority complex.

The assumption is that, were the UK in the EU, it would have adopted the EU level of competence in vaccines. The possibility that UK involvement might have improved the EU response to our level is left unexamined.

Everyone would be better off now if British leadership in Europe had lead to the EU investing as much, per capita, in vaccine development and manufacturing capacity as invested by the UK alone.

But there's a lack of confidence in the UK's ability to lead and inspire, so we've always stood apart and sniped from the sidelines.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Thing is, there was no compulsion to join the EU scheme, was there? Germany, Italy et al were reportedly about to sign their own joint contract with AZN, but switched that into the EU scheme (at commission request). The EU27 could instead have all done their own national deals (or smaller groups of countries deals) with the resulting bun-fight and, potentially, for the for-profit vaccine efforts (not for AZN where it's not for profit so there shouldn't be a great deal of movement other than pay more to get this factory built and we'll give you priority -are others than AZN not for profit?) higher prices from the competition. Germany, Italy and the other members of that group would likely be in a much better position now though, had they not allowed their scheme to become EU-wide, with the resultant delays.

So, the UK, within the EU, could have pursued the exact same vaccine procurement strategy that we did pursue? Allowing that there would have been political pressure to join the EU scheme. We could also have done early authorisation of AZN and Pfizer, before EMA (again, this happened when still under EU law during the transition).

Germany, Italy et al should perhaps have played hardball on the EU-ifying of the AZN procurement with something like:, ok, but we're signing in two weeks and we'll add any other countries that want to join, but you've got to decide by then to avoid the apparent faffing about.

What the EU should have done, is invested as a bloc in vaccine development early on, as individual countries (notably UK, US) did. Failing that, let individual countries invest and get perks for that investment from any EU-wide schemes that followed.

The situation is undoubtedly an EU failure, but (please correct me if wrong) being in the EU would not have prevented the UK from doing what it did. Other EU countries could also have done the same.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

this means they didn't do anything.

You could try reading the post.

They did something. They bought everything.

My question was where the strategic genius lies in that approach.

It didn't work for any other part of the response.
    It's rather more strategic genius than has been achieved in the EU. There I've used the word for you.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Floater said:

Possibly but he won't be wandering around trying to figure out if they are working as hard as they can.

Anyway, which vaccine union would you prefer to be in? The UKs or the EUs.
  • Options

Chris said:

No.
    The dream of the EU has always been appealing but the reality, like all reality, let's it down.

Theres nothing wrong with thinking the dream stilĺ worth it despite the problems, even on this issue, so long as the problems in the EU are acknowledged so it can be improved. It probably is better for us to be in in the long run, but this has been a mess.

Complaining about people complaining about the EU is a different tactic though.
  • Options

Floater said:

I've no idea, but the Valneva plant is not currently a bottleneck.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    Chris said:

On the other hand if we were still in the EU we might have advised them to make better decisions on ordering the vaccines.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited January 2021
    All credit to Boris for instructing the VTF to throw as much money as humanly possible at the vaccine effort.

I can't see just about any other PM being as forthright with their spending instructions - not May, not Jezza, not Jezza (the other one). And certainly the risk involved was not something the EU was likely or even able to do.

The situation was made for him as a general spaffer and on this occasion it was just what was needed.

It was a risk, as the VTF report says: "VTF’s strategy of striking early deals at risk...". But it paid off.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Dame? Hereditary dukedom more like.
    If that’s what she would prefer, I don’t think anyone will stand in the way. ;)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Floater said:

It's completely mental. Wtf are they thinking, it's such an unnecessary distraction.
    We must (be seen to) do something!

This is something!

We must do this!
  • Options
    Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Thing is, there was no compulsion to join the EU scheme, was there? Germany, Italy et al were reportedly about to sign their own joint contract with AZN, but switched that into the EU scheme (at commission request). The EU27 could instead have all done their own national deals (or smaller groups of countries deals) with the resulting bun-fight and, potentially, for the for-profit vaccine efforts (not for AZN where it's not for profit so there shouldn't be a great deal of movement other than pay more to get this factory built and we'll give you priority -are others than AZN not for profit?) higher prices from the competition. Germany, Italy and the other members of that group would likely be in a much better position now though, had they not allowed their scheme to become EU-wide, with the resultant delays.

So, the UK, within the EU, could have pursued the exact same vaccine procurement strategy that we did pursue? Allowing that there would have been political pressure to join the EU scheme. We could also have done early authorisation of AZN and Pfizer, before EMA (again, this happened when still under EU law during the transition).

Germany, Italy et al should perhaps have played hardball on the EU-ifying of the AZN procurement with something like:, ok, but we're signing in two weeks and we'll add any other countries that want to join, but you've got to decide by then to avoid the apparent faffing about.

What the EU should have done, is invested as a bloc in vaccine development early on, as individual countries (notably UK, US) did. Failing that, let individual countries invest and get perks for that investment from any EU-wide schemes that followed.

The situation is undoubtedly an EU failure, but (please correct me if wrong) being in the EU would not have prevented the UK from doing what it did. Other EU countries could also have done the same.
    The fact they didn't speaks volumes. The internal pressure to present a unified front would have been, and likely was, enormous.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    The vaccine apologist thinks that Swayne speaks on behalf of the government...... give me strength.

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1354749889431932932
  • Options
    RobD said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Voting Labour would likely do the trick.
    Please enlighten me on the results of the last 4 GEs if every seat in Scotland had returned a Labour MP?
  • Options

This argument over the UK vs EU vaccine performance does show one of the problems with the EU debate in the UK and the UK's inferiority complex.

The assumption is that, were the UK in the EU, it would have adopted the EU level of competence in vaccines. The possibility that UK involvement might have improved the EU response to our level is left unexamined.

Everyone would be better off now if British leadership in Europe had lead to the EU investing as much, per capita, in vaccine development and manufacturing capacity as invested by the UK alone.

But there's a lack of confidence in the UK's ability to lead and inspire, so we've always stood apart and sniped from the sidelines.

I think it was more a complete inability to explain the obvious to people who should have already known it.

We need vaccines ASAP. Which means don't mess around regarding price and indemnity and just work out who is likely to succeed and deliver and then give them the contracts and money that they need.

The EU instead followed their standard rulebook at a time when that rule book needed to be completely ignored.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2021
    Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

That's correct, and I think it's unlikely that any UK government would have joined their scheme. In fact, I rather suspect that other E27 countries, or the big ones at least, would not have joined the scheme were it not for the fact that Brexit was prompting them to emphasise their unity. Just a hunch, of course, but you can see the psychology.
  • Options

RobD said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Please enlighten me on the results of the last 4 GEs if every seat in Scotland had returned a Labour MP?
    You were asking how to vote out the present government. What has past elections got to do with it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,119
    edited January 2021
    JonathanD said:

Floater said:

Possibly but he won't be wandering around trying to figure out if they are working as hard as they can.

Aas with so many aspects of self determination, I would like my country to be able to choose.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Floater said:

Aas with so many aspects of self determination, I would like my country to be able to choose.
    Wasn't the SNP position that the UK should have been fully signed up members of the EU scheme?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

AIUI the UK would have been stopped from all the upfront investment in supply facilities under state aid rules. AFAIK NO other EU country has remotely done as much as the UK - and the entire EU has done LESS than the UK on vaccines for the Third World.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Could have been better phrased. 600m reduction in state pensions payments might have been better, it is a cold fact that should be reported.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JonathanD said:

Floater said:

Wasn't the SNP position that the UK should have been fully signed up members of the EU scheme?
    The SNP’s Shadow Brexit Secretary Dr Philippa Whitford MP said: “At a time when the UK should be accelerating efforts to work with our EU partners towards finding a vaccine, it is concerning that the UK government has instead rejected the opportunity to take part in yet another EU-wide programme.

“The UK government’s short-sighted and increasingly isolationist approach does nothing but hinder the ability to tackle the virus effectively."

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18576012.critics-hit-matt-hancock-confirms-britain-will-not-join-eu-covid-vaccine-purchase-scheme/
  • Options

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

AIUI the UK would have been stopped from all the upfront investment in supply facilities under state aid rules. AFAIK NO other EU country has remotely done as much as the UK - and the entire EU has done LESS than the UK on vaccines for the Third World.
    Interesting. So state aid rules would have prevented the VTF from doing its thing?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    RH1992 said:

The vaccine apologist thinks that Swayne speaks on behalf of the government...... give me strength.

Dave Keating is not the best journalist around. He often takes the most extreme examples and generalises them in order to make his preferred point.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

I prefer a government that is handling the crisis sensibly and efficiently. Over 100,000 dead and heading to 150,000 is not AWESOME as you put it. They got one thing right and your pathetic whining snivelling response shows what an absolute bellend you are. If you think this lot have done well on the Covid pandemic then you are easily pleased. I personally am not a slavish cult member and happy to say Scottish government have done badly as well , not as bad as UK and partly due to having to beg from Westminster but still bad overall.
    Posing pathetic questions shows me you do realise how badly your heroes have done but you are such a slavish cult member you cannot admit it.
  • Options
    eek said:

Floater said:

At the very least I can see production halted for several days while the pen pushers check spots!
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Floater said:

It did.

2 million of your countrymen voted to remain in the UK.

400,000 more than voted to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,119
    edited January 2021
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

You were asking how to vote out the present government. What has past elections got to do with it?
    If 'keep on voting Labour just in case, I know it hasn't worked the last 4 times but we might get rid of these cnuts' sound pretty ropey coming from a Labourite, it's pitiful from a PB Tory.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Interesting. So state aid rules would have prevented the VTF from doing its thing?
    No, we were still subject to the EU state aid rules.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

If the reports that the shorts are naked and over 100% are correct, the market abuse is the short sellers. Not those holding contracts and shares.

The suggestion that shares should be loaned without the consent of the owner, just so that the hedges can play with them, is particularly risible.

Ah. I haven't been following particularly closely, just saw @Charles' post - and thought the issue was the ramping of the stock. If they were naked shorts then yes of course that's illegal.
    Well, it depends how they did it. It gets technical, but they seem to have done an end run around the rules.
    Even if it is done legally through some odd quirk of rules, it doesn't make it not completely stupid.
    Cummings' time has come after he has gone. The curse of the true visionary....
    I bet Corbyn is feeling just the same. Sees the sky turning blue and the eyes in his head see it all coming true.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

The vaccine apologist thinks that Swayne speaks on behalf of the government...... give me strength

It's like how all backbenchers become senior when quoted in newspapers. Random comments are hugely significant when we want them to be, and if we dont it's just some nobody MP or MEP.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    eek said:

Floater said:

Daily Mail picked it up now

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9196445/MEPs-threaten-TRADE-WAR-UK-vaccine-supplies.html
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Though 'keep on voting Labour just in case, I know it hasn't worked the last 4 times but we might get rid of these cnuts' sound pretty ropey coming from a Labourite, it's pitiful from a PB Tory.
    Like I said, what have the past elections got to do with it? Labour are much more popular now, so it is likely those seats will make a difference (not to mention the negative campaigning associated with pockets).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Some say the EU AZ order was held up for 3 months because Macron wanted a big order for Sanofi....if we ever get to the bottom of it.....
  • Options

No, that doesn't hold water because our scheme depended on direct manufacturing subsidies for the pharma industry.

The main issue is that the EU scheme became EU money so subsidies were avoided because it leads to completely interminable arguments about who gets what money and which companies should benefit rather than which vaccines are most likely to work. For example, would the EU have stepped in to subsidise Pfizer or J&J, American companies in the same way that the UK has done with Novavax (American) and Valneva (French). The ructions over giving EU subsidy money to American or British companies but not French or German ones would have turned into something that needed one minute to midnight compromises and summits.

The minute something becomes EU money it quickly turns into a mess as there are 27 agendas for how to spend that money. We already saw that with France supposedly blocking more purchases of the "German" vaccine that we knew worked because the "French" vaccine that we weren't sure about had to have the same purchase levels.

So no, being in the scheme wouldn't have brought them to our level, we'd be stuck at their level haggling over price and hoping that the pharma industry makes the right levels of investment to meet production targets rather than ensuring it with subsidies.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Floater said:

It did.

'Your countrymen'?
    Fair play for at last accepting your irrelevance to the process.
  • Options

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

That's a good point, if applicable. I don't know whether that would have been the case or where the line is drawn - you can of course get research funds, more problematic with direct funding, but how about with funding which is tied to delivery of vaccines - after all NHS contracts for pharmaceuticals all the time.

Did Germany not invest in BioNTech/Pfizer or was that simply research funding.

Also, were we not under state aid rules still during the transition? Genuine question, I would have assumed that we were.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RH1992 said:

Dave Keating is not the best journalist around. He often takes the most extreme examples and generalises them in order to make his preferred point.
    Sounds like he will be very well paid, as that is what the public enjoy and therefore advertisers demand. We see it every day on here too.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

I think given how highly the EU prizes unity there would be immense pressure for countries not to do their own thing. Thats a relevant factor, though potential to diverge if possible is still important.
  • Options
    Sky headlining their news with Swayne.

Is that seriously the #1 story today? WTF?

Downing Street must be considering withdrawing the whip. What a farce.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RH1992 said:

People should be looking at Spiked instead to avoid that kind of thing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

No, it's the interminable arguments over who gets what money and all the horrible bureaucracy that comes with it. They were already months late, now add in arguments about where the subsidy money goes int the equation. They'd probably still be arguing about it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

The fact they didn't speaks volumes. The internal pressure to present a unified front would have been, and likely was, enormous.
    I saw one of their Facebook ads the other day saying how much better it was that the EU 27 was united on their approach to Covid Vaccine - the comments beneath were interesting!
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Floater said:

It did.

'Your countrymen'?
    Be on soon pretending to be Scottish
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Some say the EU AZ order was held up for 3 months because Macron wanted a big order for Sanofi....if we ever get to the bottom of it.....
    I actually doubt that. Canada, the US, and the UK all placed big orders for the Sanofi/GSK jab, which in the early days was thought to be one of the most likely to be successful.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Encouraging news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55839493

"Black MPs from across the parties have joined together in a video encouraging people to get the coronavirus vaccine. The Office for National Statistics has found all ethnic minority groups, other than Chinese, are more likely to die from the virus than white people. But a study suggests black people over 80 are half as likely to get the vaccine."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RH1992 said:

He'll go very far in that case.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

No, it's the interminable arguments over who gets what money and all the horrible bureaucracy that comes with it. They were already months late, now add in arguments about where the subsidy money goes int the equation. They'd probably still be arguing about it.
    I suppose the question is could we have done what we did within the EU or did we specifically go against any EU reg or law to do it.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1354742161804324873

The vaccine bounce will be along later.

It might but for many of working age the fear of redundancy and actual joblessness could override it.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Floater said:

It did.

'Your countrymen'?
    Nats & sums, eh?
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

That said, he has a very credible bookcase backdrop, so clearly he must know what he is talking about.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RH1992 said:

The vaccine apologist thinks that Swayne speaks on behalf of the government...... give me strength

It's like how all backbenchers become senior when quoted in newspapers. Random comments are hugely significant when we want them to be, and if we dont it's just some nobody MP or MEP.
    Having said that this true blue Tory would have to admit that Swayne is the epitome of the swivel-headed loon!
  • Options

RobD said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

Not sure about 2010, though it would have made a Labour/Lib dem coalition more doable.
    2015 More likely that Miliband would have survived, so no Corbyn and possibly a different outcome of the Brexit vote.
    2017 May out, probably Corbyn as PM.
    2019 No difference, except that Corbyn might have hung on.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

I seem to recall that was denied, but it would be explosive if it is proven, a blatantly avoidable mess caused by politics.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

I suppose the question is could we have done what we did within the EU or did we specifically go against any EU reg or law to do it.
    We could have, definitely. It would have been politically very difficult to not be in the EU scheme though so I don't think we would have. Indeed, if we were still EU members with out own scheme outside of the EU one the calls for "unity" from the British to share vaccines would be even greater than they are now.

I know you're being obtuse on this and thing to get to technicalities to weasel out of criticising the EU, but you need to face up to it, the EU has completely shat the bed.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    There's a parallel universe in which Remain won in 2016 and our government went with the EU scheme.

PM Farage nailed on.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I feel like that statement can be interpreted in several ways and he probably knows it. The SNP probably agree Boris is an asset, of sorts, for Scotland to achieve certain things.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960

Were we not still in when the investment happened?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    tlg86 said:

There's a parallel universe in which Remain won in 2016 and our government went with the EU scheme.

PM Farage nailed on.

Vaccine Nationalism. The same nationalism as cause of the Irish Potato Famine.
    In terms of politics, reactionary, short termist and very bad.

In terms of morality, unchristian.

In terms of history, repeating the same mistakes as Empire.

Boris Johnson and supporters of his vaccine nationalism on here, all those things.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Some on here will be very pleased to hear that Inghams have just cancelled my skiing trip to Italy in March. Not a surprise! I'm offered cash or refund.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

RH1992 said:

Chris said:

We could have, definitely. It would have been politically very difficult to not be in the EU scheme though so I don't think we would have. Indeed, if we were still EU members with out own scheme outside of the EU one the calls for "unity" from the British to share vaccines would be even greater than they are now.

I know you're being obtuse on this and thing to get to technicalities to weasel out of criticising the EU, but you need to face up to it, the EU has completely shat the bed.
    They have been shocking. But as with so much we have seen, we could have done exactly what we did while still being in the EU (cf exporting to the US, Tonga, The Dutch Antilles, etc).

And as with @Philip_Thompson yesterday dismissing "the contract", yes absolutely I want to get to "technicalities" as that determines the whole issue.

Your literal "could have, would have, if we were, would be..." supposition doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Unless following the purported Scottish referendum win for leave and subsequent successful negotiation to join the EU comes with a free time machine, the question of the union and the vaccine are entirely unrelated.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

For those who missed it yesterday - Mr Navabi posted the link to the report:

UK Vaccine Taskforce 2020 Achievements and Future Strategy
    End of year report

1. VTF has built an attractive portfolio of the most promising vaccines for the UK population
    The VTF’s strategy to build a diverse portfolio of vaccines across different formats gives the UK the greatest chance of providing a safe and effective vaccine, recognising that many of these vaccines in development may fail. The VTF focused on vaccines that could be in the clinic in 2020, which could be manufactured at scale preferably in the UK, which had the potential to secure rapid regulatory approval and be delivered ready for deployment as rapidly as possible.

2. VTF has shaped new collaborative arrangements to ensure that successful vaccines will be distributed internationally
    The COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access facility (COVAX), to which the UK has made up to £548 million available, will provide access to vaccines for lower income countries including one billion doses for developing countries worldwide. The UK through the VTF has helped to develop the COVAX facility and has shared its expertise and people with COVAX to support their global efforts.

3. VTF has supported the UK’s industrial strategy by reinforcing long-term vaccine capability to prepare the UK for future pandemics, helping to place the UK at the forefront of vaccine R&D, manufacturing and distribution, but more is needed
    One of the most interesting and imaginative aspects of the VTF’s work lies in the plans it has laid for future resilience and industrial leadership in this vital area. The VTF has provided targeted funding and focus across three broad areas that support the UK’s long-term pandemic preparedness.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/944308/VTF_Interim_report_-_5th_publication.pdf

Notably the UK, with about one seventh the population of the EU has contributed substantially more to COVAX than the EU has, so fewer sermons on "we're all in this together" from UVDL might be in order

Quite impressed that the PM has not risen to the bait and been all Brexity about this, despite a stupid question from Peter Bone in the Commons yesterday.

It's much easier to keep your calm when others are losing theirs right in front of you.

Hopefully he keeps it up, there is no need to respond to mere words, and we know they are currently in a bad way (albeit that doesn't excuse wild allegations and leaks, nor denialism).
This discussion has been closed.