Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best of three. What of a fresh Scottish independence referendum? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2021
    Twitter pilot to let users flag 'false' content

It has announced a pilot that allows people to submit notes on tweets that may be false or misleading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55806002

I think I have a suggestion where it might be needed....
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

The EU has warned it will tighten rules on exports of Covid vaccines, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies to the 27-member bloc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55805903

Didn't the Trade Federation try this with Naboo?
    So does that make Boris a Sith Lord and the next Emperor?

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited January 2021
    rpjs said:

RobD said:

The EU has warned it will tighten rules on exports of Covid vaccines, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies to the 27-member bloc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55805903

Didn't the Trade Federation try this with Naboo?
    So does that make Boris a Sith Lord and the next Emperor?

I would think that AZT have this covered in the contracts.

Where do they make it? I am aware of I think 2 factories in the UK, one the NL and one in CZ.

Perhaps one UK future is to offer safe haven from posturing Eurocrats. We know that they are often willing to drive a bus through their own laws.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Oh god.....

Chris Grayling leads MPs' charge to save hedgehogshttps://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55804978

Insert "pricks on the outside" gag here.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    A quick Google News of the AZ 8% story isn’t returning many hits (Mail mentions it, Express says AZ hit back etc.).

So it looks like most of the press realise that it’s probably not a good idea to run with an unsubstantiated story for the sake of getting some hits.
  • Options
    Oh hell.

Last year I had rats in my kitchen. Pest control called, baited and killed the buggers, patched up the entry points. They were getting into my sub-floor through a burrow into my neighbour's, who said they would contact their landlord. All quiet for three months.

Tonight, as I lie in bed, I hear... gnawing.

--AS
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,946
    tlg86 said:

A quick Google News of the AZ 8% story isn’t returning many hits (Mail mentions it, Express says AZ hit back etc.).

So it looks like most of the press realise that it’s probably not a good idea to run with an unsubstantiated story for the sake of getting some hits.

Media finally having an ounce of responsibility and understanding of their role in the crisis, having spent the past twelve months being utter morons chasing clicks?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
  • Options
    The "we're just reporting what the politicians are saying" defence:

https://twitter.com/washingtonski/status/1353841883840184320
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,436
    You may remember that yesterday I expressed surprise at the death rate among teaching staff being similar to the community outside, despite the infection rate being triple.

Turns out there are two reasons for this figure.

One is that on the whole teachers are younger than the population at large (something to do with 40% of staff leaving the profession within five years of qualifying).

The other is that the government deliberately excluded all staff over the age of 64, which meant they excluded half of all deaths among school staff, but compared the rate to the population as a whole.

Which is extraordinary. Not only is that blatantly criminal - even by the dreadful standards set by Williamson and Gibb - but were they really so dumb as to think nobody would notice?

I can only hope that the judge gives them all life sentences.

https://www.tes.com/news/covid-teacher-deaths-double-when-over-64s-are-added
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Sandpit said:

EU cannot be remotely serious about vaccine export bans, can they?

Talking about supply is one thing, but the day they actually start blocking them is the day they start to seriously upset a number of countries and companies.

I voted to leave the EU because they’re an inward-looking and protectionist organisation that falsely preaches free trade and global co-operation - here’s a great example of that in action.

The whole business is not pleasant, most wealthy countries have bought up far more vaccines than perhaps they need (the UK has 350 on order).... meanwhile the world's poorest/most marginalised have been well and truly shafted on this one, not humanity's greatest hour.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Talking about supply is one thing, but the day they actually start blocking them is the day they start to seriously upset a number of countries and companies.

I voted to leave the EU because they’re an inward-looking and protectionist organisation that falsely preaches free trade and global co-operation - here’s a great example of that in action.

The whole business is not pleasant, most wealthy countries have bought up far more vaccines than perhaps they need (the UK has 350 on order).... meanwhile the world's poorest/most marginalised have been well and truly shafted on this one, not humanity's greatest hour.
    On the contrary; that humanity has come up with those vaccines is very much something to be proud of.

The thing about the EU story is not so much they're putting themselves first, it's that they might be about to do something really dumb that actually makes things worse for themselves.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The UK needs 100m or so vaccines to do everyone, they over-ordered because they didn’t know which 100m would be good or be first to arrive.

They’ve already pledged to donate the rest to poor countries (such as France), as it’s in everyone’s interest to have everyone in the world vaccinated as quickly as possible - so we can irradiate this damn virus for good.

Yes, we are at the initial argy-bargey stage now as Western nations compete to be able to open up their own economies, but the worldwide vaccination programme to come will be humanity’s greatest hour.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The UK needs 100m or so vaccines to do everyone, they over-ordered because they didn’t know which 100m would be good or be first to arrive.

They’ve already pledged to donate the rest to poor countries (such as France), as it’s in everyone’s interest to have everyone in the world vaccinated as quickly as possible - so we can irradiate this damn virus for good.

Yes, we are at the initial argy-bargey stage now as Western nations compete to be able to open up their own economies, but the worldwide vaccination programme to come will be humanity’s greatest hour.
    Precisely. If we buy 350m, use 250m, then donate 250m to Covax then why is that a bad thing?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I see humanity's greatest hour still leaves room for petty nationalistic digs. Never doubted it for a minute
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,833

Sandpit said:

While there are certainly issues over the equitable distribution of vaccines, the fact that countries have over-ordered isn’t one of them. The world would be in a far worse position if we hadn’t.
    Note that the vaccines developed by two of the world’s leading vaccine companies - Sanofi and Merck - have failed.

I agree with your sentiment, though. And it is massively in the economic interests of rich counties to ensure provision of vaccines to poorer ones, even if they were to ignore humanitarian considerations. An early end to the global pandemic is in all our interests.
    The UK has actually done reasonably well on this score, being an early proponent and funder of the COVAX effort.

If there is a problem, it is that rich countries haven’t spent enough on vaccine production, and have been insufficiently generous.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I see humanity's greatest hour still leaves room for petty nationalistic digs. Never doubted it for a minute
    Call it trying to inject some humour, into what might be about to become a serious diplomatic incident. :)
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited January 2021
    Mr Meeks misses the other point which is that since the last vote on independence the constitution of the United Kingdom was irrevocably altered by a referendum against the wishes and vote of the Scottish people. That seems to be a prima facie argument for another referendum.

The criticism of Boris Johnson as 'so often short-sighted' does not square with the UK's vaccine programme. The pre-ordering in bulk from multiple vaccine suppliers is one of the greatest far-sighted decisions of any British Gov't in the history of these isles. Don't make cheap shots where they're not deserved and have the good grace to admit it. Otherwise you just come across as embittered.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Sandpit said:

Yep.

The behaviour of the EU these past few weeks has made me, a Remainer, considerably less pro-EU. If there were another referendum held today I would possibly vote Brexit based on their appalling vaccine response.

They're lashing out because they have right-royally screwed up. And the idea that the EU has to buy in all the vaccine supplies on behalf of its member nations is horrendous.

It's everything that is the stinking bureaucratic putrid heap of dung that embodies the over-centralised EU monolith.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    tlg86 said:

Sadly, that's a very 20th century way of looking at the matter.

The conventional media being (mostly) responsible doesn't help very much if there's a tidal wave of misinformation spreading through Facebook and its various tentacles, scaring the shit out of credulous old people or their hysterical relatives.

It is no wonder that one reads that Biden wants it cutting right down to size.
  • Options
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The vaccine development is one of humanity's finest hours. An astonishing triumph of science. In a year we have gone from discovery of a virus to jabbing millions in the arm with highly efficacious vaccines. It's unprecedented.

Astra Zeneca have a factory at Pune in India and most of these vaccines are going to be supplied globally under licence.

There's a particular problem with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine storage which makes them less readily available for most developing countries.

Three points you might want to bear in mind.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep.

The behaviour of the EU these past few weeks has made me, a Remainer, considerably less pro-EU. If there were another referendum held today I would possibly vote Brexit based on their appalling vaccine response.

They're lashing out because they have right-royally screwed up. And the idea that the EU has to buy in all the vaccine supplies on behalf of its member nations is horrendous.

It's everything that is the stinking bureaucratic putrid heap of dung that embodies the over-centralised EU monolith.
    The centralised procurent scheme isn’t compulsory, but the irony is that if not for Brexit, they might not have even tried to do it that way at all.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Singing, you have my sympathy. Rats scuttling is an irksome thing to endure.

Utterly OT: finished Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb yesterday. Very good book indeed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    That’s in the USA. Kinda how medicine “works” over there.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I thought the France comment was very funny. Don't lose your sense of humour. I'm sure the French haven't.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep.

'me, a Remainer'

'the stinking bureaucratic putrid heap of dung that embodies the over-centralised EU monolith'

Golly, the scales have pinged off your eyes at some rate.
    Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    Interestingly, West Virginia has done one of the best jobs in all of the US in efficiently distributing vaccines, so it’s clearly possible for Republican states to get it right.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep.

'me, a Remainer'

'the stinking bureaucratic putrid heap of dung that embodies the over-centralised EU monolith'

Sorry for your loss.
    No I was always only a narrow remainer and I weighed the pros and cons carefully. Something in my mind like a 52-48 split.

It's one of the failings of analysts that they assume Brexiteers and Remainers were all diehards. Many of us were genuinely torn.

In my view the EU has some real pros. It also has some serious cons. Every so often the EU does something really stupid to bring those cons to the fore. This is one such occasion.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep.

The centralised procurent scheme isn’t compulsory, but the irony is that if not for Brexit, they might not have even tried to do it that way at all.
    If you believe that, you'll believe anything. If they only did it that way due to lacking self-confidence post-Brexit and wanting to show that Europe "works" together then it has rather backfired don't you think?

All this talk of the over 65s and the idea yesterday's what appears to be German fake news might scare off the over 65s from getting vaccinated . . . we must have a significant proportion of over 65s having already received the first dose already surely? The 14 million by 14 February refers to the first 4 priority groups which includes everyone 70+ so only 65-69 would be left after that I am guessing? How many more people fall in the 65-69 category?
  • Options
    Mr. Rook, aye. Petty empire-building has always been the EU way (there's no reason Euratom should be part of the EU other than a desire to expand in all directions) and it's one thing I disliked about it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep.

'me, a Remainer'

Sorry for your loss.
    No I was always only a narrow remainer and I weighed the pros and cons carefully. Something in my mind like a 52-48 split.

It's one of the failings of analysts that they assume Brexiteers and Remainers were all diehards. Many of us were genuinely torn.

In my view the EU has some real pros. It also has some serious cons. Every so often the EU does something really stupid to bring those cons to the fore. This is one such occasion.
    How do I love the stinking bureaucratic putrid heap of dung that embodies the over-centralised EU monolith? Let me count the ways.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    To come back on topic, I didn't think the 52-48 (cough) pro-independence Scottish poll in the Sunday Times was exactly convincing.

If the EU carry on like they are, and the UK continues to make a success of its vaccine rollout and Brexit life, then we might go through all the palaver of setting up indyref2 only to find the Scots don't want independence. Again.

There are advantages to Brexit. They may come increasingly into focus.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    edited January 2021
    R4 U.K. Vaccine minister “every confidence Pfizer will deliver”. I guess he would say that, wouldn’t he.....
  • Options

To come back on topic, I didn't think the 52-48 (cough) pro-independence Scottish poll in the Sunday Times was exactly convincing.

If the EU carry on like they are, and the UK continues to make a success of its vaccine rollout and Brexit life, then we might go through all the palaver of setting up indyref2 only to find the Scots don't want independence. Again.

There are advantages to Brexit. They may come increasingly to the fore.

If that's the case and you want the Union to survive then if the SNP do win a majority then a referendum shoud be arranged for next year and have the issue tackled head-on.

If the Scottish public vote to stay in the UK, post-Brexit, then the issue is settled - and like the second Quebec referendum there's every chance it will be final.

If the Scottish public vote to leave the UK, then that is their choice - why should they be held prisoners if they choose otherwise?

Either way the issue is resolved.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Interestingly, West Virginia has done one of the best jobs in all of the US in efficiently distributing vaccines, so it’s clearly possible for Republican states to get it right.

Coincidentally they didn't sign an agreement with the big pharmacy chains and instead are using local businesses.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    There isn't a day goes by without CNN posting up one article or another explicitly bashing Britain. It really is quite extraordinary. Someone, somewhere, high up in the organisation really has it in for us. This isn't news reporting. It's a hatchet job.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/25/uk/coronavirus-uk-variant-lockdown-gbr-intl/index.html

"But despite the harsh restrictions, case numbers are not dropping as fast as experts have hoped. Deaths continue to rise and public health experts and government are starting to warn people that the country will be in this battle for the long run ... The UK is a cautionary tale of what could happen elsewhere."

Like America, for instance?

In fact, case numbers are dropping very fast, our vaccine rollout is world-leading, and the death rate does not 'continue to rise.' Obviously deaths continue to rise until we reach 0 a day so it's a fatuous remark.

• Options
    Miss Cyclefree, a good and alarming point.

The EU have cocked up massively and if they do end up behaving in this way because the UK's had the temerity to actually be competent in a critical area it'll rightly provoke significant anger.

At that stage, there'd be a higher chance of their 'ambassador' being expelled than recognised as worthy of full diplomatic status.
  • Options

Twitter pilot to let users flag 'false' content

It has announced a pilot that allows people to submit notes on tweets that may be false or misleading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55806002

I think I have a suggestion where it might be needed....

The Office for National Statistics, for a start.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Surely that’s good news, TUD? Otherwise you would have to give up posting.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Sandpit said:

Yep.

'me, a Remainer'

Sorry for your loss.

I was very similar but ironically I always thought a European Health Service would be a great levelling idea - much better than silly Common Agricultural Policies and some of the other crap. However, the vaccine experience has shown how wrong I was sadly.
  • Options

R4 U.K. Vaccine minister “every confidence Pfizer will deliver”. I guess he would say that, wouldn’t he.....

This isn't going to be my strongest point of the morning but I do have a hunch that he's right. I think Pfizer are going to push hard to supply the UK. Despite our 2nd jab delay we're at the forefront of a successful vaccine rollout and Pfizer want to be an integral part of that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep.

'me, a Remainer'

Sorry for your loss.

How do I love the stinking bureaucratic putrid heap of dung that embodies the over-centralised EU monolith? Let me count the ways.

You must be looking forward to Scotland joining the Euro. Is that official SNP policy yet?
  • Options
    felix said:

Sandpit said:

Yep.

'me, a Remainer'

Sorry for your loss.

You must be looking forward to Scotland joining the Euro. Is that official SNP policy yet?
    Whoosh
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,228

The EU have cocked up massively and if they do end up behaving in this way because the UK's had the temerity to actually be competent in a critical area it'll rightly provoke significant anger.

At that stage, there'd be a higher chance of their 'ambassador' being expelled than recognised as worthy of full diplomatic status.

I hope someone in government is telling Pfizer now that we will do whatever is necessary to allow them to manufacture their vaccine here.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Worrying if the EU bans exports of the Pfizer vaccine to the U.K. Disgraceful too.

What then happens to those needing their second injection?

They'd be royally screwed. I doubt it would happen. They need cooler heads to prevail.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I hope someone in government is telling Pfizer now that we will do whatever is necessary to allow them to manufacture their vaccine here.
    Probably too late to get it done but its an idea worth exploring.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Worrying if the EU bans exports of the Pfizer vaccine to the U.K. Disgraceful too.

What then happens to those needing their second injection?

I suppose it would depend on whether we had enough stockpile to give them a second shot if we stopped using Pfizer for the initial dose at once.

If we didn’t, that would be a very serious matter - potentially a criminal matter against the relevant EU body although you’d know more about that than me - but it would not of course help those who needed the second dose.

Even the hint may force an abrupt switch by the government though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not one to simultaneously bloviate about humanity’s greatest hour though.
    Very competitive market in any case on PB once you remove all the patriotic British fig leaves.
  • Options
    Incidentally, has anyone identified the source of the Handelsblatt fake news story yet? Would be a trifle embarrassing if it were a source close to the pro-Russian Britophobe conspiracy theorist just elected leader of the CDU - but that’s where I’d start looking.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not one to simultaneously bloviate about humanity’s greatest hour though.
    Very competitive market in any case on PB once you remove all the patriotic British fig leaves.
    Ummmm...self awareness fail?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,479
    Avoiding this Brazilian variant is going to be a close shave.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Why? Is it waxing?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Why? Is it waxing?
    The wax a mole strategy isn’t working.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,031
    Nowhere does it say the EU will ban Pfizer exports to the UK . The EU have not said this but some in here seem to have brought the right wing headlines hook line and sinker !
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Why? Is it waxing?
    Way too early for below the belt commentary!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Sad day. This is what happens when everyone pursues a narrow national self interest. We will see more and more of this politically expedient finger pointing and threats. Far easier than solving underlying problems and working together.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Nowhere does it say the EU will ban Pfizer exports to the UK . The EU have not said this but some in here seem to have brought the right wing headlines hook line and sinker !

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/eu-threatens-to-block-covid-vaccine-exports-amid-astrazeneca-shortfall?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=&__twitter_impression=true
  • Options

nico679 said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/eu-threatens-to-block-covid-vaccine-exports-amid-astrazeneca-shortfall?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=&__twitter_impression=true
    It's time we reined in the Guardian's negativity about the EU. It's a disgrace.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    seems like the sort of contract we insist on - we'll do out best but there are circumstances beyond our control which we can't do anything about.

And that is what has happened here - a batch needs to be written off (for which the EU isn't paying) and lack of raw ingredients is making ramping up impossible.

Neither are items AZ has much control over.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sad day. This is what happens when everyone pursues a narrow national self interest. We will see more and more of this politically expedient finger pointing and threats. Far easier than solving underlying problems and working together.

By everyone I guess you mean either the EU or the German press?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-to-share-genomics-know-how-to-help-other-countries-identify-new-variants-12198958
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

We have been discussing this all day

G, we will be discussing it all year, next to Covid it will be the defining matter of 2021.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Has the EU now got BDS?

There has been some weird stuff today. At least the German news story, if bullcrap, is just someone in government there trying to mess around for gods knows what reason, but some the actual institutional stories have been strange too.
    I think it's a genuine mistake, and I honestly think someone is getting the mother of all bollockings about it right now. And if the journo is so absolutely sure of what his source said, it'll be the source.
    I suspect @Andy_Cooke got it right earlier: given it's a sample size of just 10, the paper probably said "70% effective (95% confidence interval 8-97%)". And then some lazy innumerate journalist desperate for a story ran with:

"Trials indicate AZN's effectiveness with older recipients could be as low as 8%"
    It's a workable theory, but I think the presence of both '8%' and 'over 65s' in the other bit, makes that theory the frontrunner.
    That one was my first guess, here: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3230445/#Comment_3230445

You can see that conversation as well.

"Yes, it looks efficacious, but we don't really have useful efficacy data for the over 65s. It should be efficacious, but to what degree? Only 8% of the sample were over 65s"

"Should be efficacious... to what degree... only 8%... STORY!"
  • Options
    Excellent header Alastair and very clear on the reality rather than the usual myth we see on here.
  • Options
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

We’ve just spent four years talking about taking back control. It’s not a huge surprise that others are doing the same. Even now we’re playing silly buggers with the EU embassy for some bizarre, unfathomable reason.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,178
    Great header. Roll on Indyref2.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Mr. Jonathan, the prevention of vaccine exports during a pandemic from a bloc that has screwed up its own response to a country that has acted more competently is* wretched behaviour.

It's utterly immoral, and would poison relations by an order of magnitude more than the comparatively trifling matter of an ambassador's status.

Edited extra bit: *would be
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Nigelb said:

I agree with your sentiment, though. And it is massively in the economic interests of rich counties to ensure provision of vaccines to poorer ones, even if they were to ignore humanitarian considerations. An early end to the global pandemic is in all our interests.
    The UK has actually done reasonably well on this score, being an early proponent and funder of the COVAX effort.

If there is a problem, it is that rich countries haven’t spent enough on vaccine production, and have been insufficiently generous.

I agree with your main point. That said, I'd be glad to hear we were early proponents of COVAX, but I thought we came on board at the last moment, after 76 other first world countries? We can reasonably say that we were massively distracted (COVID and Brexit) until we did it, but we shouldn't claim to be early adopters.

https://www.devex.com/news/uk-joins-covax-scheme-on-deadline-day-98132

We're now offering up to £250m in matched funding, though, which looks pretty good.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-raises-1bn-so-vulnerable-countries-can-get-vaccine
  • Options

The Australian referendum was on same sex marriage. It was not on the continued existence of the state. I would expect that we would end up at the Supreme Court who would confirm a non-agreed referendum to be non-binding, and we end up with Catalonia.

Another Scotch expert and a Supreme Court legal one at that joins the club.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, the prevention of vaccine exports during a pandemic from a bloc that has screwed up its own response to a country that has acted more competently is wretched behaviour.

It's utterly immoral, and would poison relations by an order of magnitude more than the comparatively trifling matter of an ambassador's status.

I agree with you. It is entirely bad when countries and blocks pursue a narrow self interest and indulge in divisive rhetoric.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Thanks Alastair for a very thought provoking piece. I disagree with your view that, if the UK Government does nothing, it looks timid. In fact, it's probably it's best policy. Say "there's no point dealing with you because whatever we negotiate, you will change the rules to suit your own view" and let the Scottish Government sort a referendum. Encourage Unionists to boycott it. Then have the position of the SNP having to come to your door asking for negotiation because, if it doesn't, most fund managers will be leaving Edinburgh ASAP.

I'm sure this whole renewed talk from Sturgeon has to do with the dispute over Salmond, and what she did / not do rightfully.

Yep. Far from looking timid, it's the only thing to do, because the wildcat scheme *depends* on the UK Government opposing this tooth and nail and getting into a big legal battle, with 'Boris vs. Sturgeon', which (Kle4 said rightly) Sturgeon could not lose - regardless of the legal outcome. Leaving them to get on with the white elephant with an air of faint bemusement deflates the whole thing.
    I agree with Mr Ed (not something I say every day). Just express polite interest - the Scots want to consult people on independence? Fine, but it's not binding, and is unlikely to pass 50% of the electorate.
    There will be a Royal Commission on Indy, Explore all the choices. Report back. Tell the Scots. Federal UK, status quo, indy outside EU or within, dissolve devo. Your call.

This will take a few years, and take the subject off the boil. It is, also, by the by, surely the sensible thing to do. If there is one thing everyone has learned from Brexit, it is that a wildly important referendum with a simple Yes/No on a hugely complex subject is not always wise, and if it is done, it needs to be done with the public as informed as possible as to what will happen after.

I voted Leave. I am still, just about, persuaded that I made the right choice, but it is exceptionally marginal. If I had properly thought about the Irish border problem I might have changed my mind, it just never occurred to me (as it barely occurred to others, to be fair).

Scots and Brits need to be better educated next time. And there should be a next time, Scots deserve another vote once they see how Brexit has worked, or not. Late 2020s is when I expect it to happen, and when it should happen.
    I presume you mean just lie to us like last time and then renage on everything you promised after the result and whine about generations meaning 40 years or other such squirrels.
  • Options
    Apparently the Coffster thinks the UK’s world beating COVID death rate is our own fault for getting old and fat.

https://twitter.com/pedanticdave/status/1353960323443785728?s=21
  • Options

What else are on the agenda tonight?

(Since everyone ignored it on the last thread's discussion of data! :) )

Have we discussed the reopening of the schools recently?
    Not even Bozo the Clown is that stupid.
  • Options

There are advantages to Brexit. They may come increasingly to the fore.

If that's the case and you want the Union to survive then if the SNP do win a majority then a referendum shoud be arranged for next year and have the issue tackled head-on.

If the Scottish public vote to stay in the UK, post-Brexit, then the issue is settled - and like the second Quebec referendum there's every chance it will be final.

If the Scottish public vote to leave the UK, then that is their choice - why should they be held prisoners if they choose otherwise?

Either way the issue is resolved.
    The only thing I would add is that there really should be a second referendum at the end so that Scotland can decide whether they are happy with the consequences of independence or not prior to them leaving.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

What else are on the agenda tonight?

(Since everyone ignored it on the last thread's discussion of data! :) )

Why are labour not doing better

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1353809414571089920?s=19
    Because Starmer keeps agreeing with the Tories, including a joint approach to the SNP. Why vote for a different version of the same?
    Exactly , you can at least get a laugh at Bozo, Starmer is just grey and boring. He ought to just say I agree with Boris.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No, no, no.

If the UK government agrees another referendum now not only is there a large risk of losing Scotland, though no certainty with 49% Yes including DKs on the latest poll but also they would be showing no willingness to stand up for the SNP who even if they lose indyref2 will demand indyref3 the next day exactly as many nationalists refused to accept the result on the 2014 referendum.

Even if a referendum was held by Sturgeon without UK government approval Boris could ignore it exactly as Rajoy ignored the unconstitutional 2017 Catalan referendum even though 92% of Catalan voters voted for independence on a 43% turnout.

That was the right decision by the Spanish PM to uphold the Spanish constitution and the supremacy of the Spanish government and 4 years later Catalonia remains part of Spain

If the Scottish voters don't want to be in the Union anymore then why would you want them to be prisoners trapped in the UK with no legal method of voting to leave?

What does that achieve? Is the union worth more to you than the fact people don't want it? Isn't it better for the union to survive because people want it to survive?
    Philip, you should know by now he is not right in the Tattie
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Many thanks to Alastair for this header - really interesting and has convinced me that SIndy2 is on.

One strategy he doesn't cover is what happens if a boycott happens from the 'No' side. This would undermine the legitimacy of the referendum (I believe a similar tactic was tried with Puerto Rican statehood). The SNP would be hard pushed to get 50%+1 of the electorate voting yes I'd imagine.

A fair way to handle the vaccination problem would be to ensure the elderly in all countries get to go first.
    I wonder whether we will see a move amongst young people to refuse the vaccine until the more vulnerable elsewhere in the world have been covered.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, I'm not talking about rhetoric. I'm talking about the credible threat of preventing the export of life-saving medicine because the EU failed its response to the pandemic.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

We’ve just spent four years talking about taking back control. It’s not a huge surprise that others are doing the same. Even now we’re playing silly buggers with the EU embassy for some bizarre, unfathomable reason.
    Anything but answering the question. The EU is acting like a spoilt child throwing its toys out of the pram and you still want to blame the UK? Pathetic.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mr Meeks misses the other point which is that since the last vote on independence the constitution of the United Kingdom was irrevocably altered by a referendum against the wishes and vote of the Scottish people. That seems to be a prima facie argument for another referendum.

The criticism of Boris Johnson as 'so often short-sighted' does not square with the UK's vaccine programme. The pre-ordering in bulk from multiple vaccine suppliers is one of the greatest far-sighted decisions of any British Gov't in the history of these isles. Don't make cheap shots where they're not deserved and have the good grace to admit it. Otherwise you just come across as embittered.

Britain has the fourth worst death rate from Covid-19 in the world, behind only San Marino, Belgium and Slovenia. If you laid the bodies of those who died in Britain from Covid-19 end to end, they would stretch from London to Leeds.

If Britain had done as well as France - a country that has not done well in the pandemic - 10,000 people would not have died of Covid-19. If it had done as well as Germany, 50,000 people would not have died.

Those deaths in large part can be attributed directly to Boris Johnson’s inexplicable lethargy in locking down. Even now he dithers about effectively controlling international travel. Even now, as the pandemic rages, he flirts with ending lockdown.

In your eagerness to step over all those corpses to lay into me, you insult the memory of every one of those people who died unnecessarily because of the disgusting failures of the Prime Minister. In the words of Rick & Morty, I welcome your boos, I’ve seen who you cheer.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Many thanks to Alastair for this header - really interesting and has convinced me that SIndy2 is on.

One strategy he doesn't cover is what happens if a boycott happens from the 'No' side. This would undermine the legitimacy of the referendum (I believe a similar tactic was tried with Puerto Rican statehood). The SNP would be hard pushed to get 50%+1 of the electorate voting yes I'd imagine.

A fair way to handle the vaccination problem would be to ensure the elderly in all countries get to go first.
    I wonder whether we will see a move amongst young people to refuse the vaccine until the more vulnerable elsewhere in the world have been covered.

Um no, the youngsters will want to get on with their lives which means a lot will take the vaccine when it arrives.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No, no, no.

If the UK government agrees another referendum now not only is there a large risk of losing Scotland, though no certainty with 49% Yes including DKs on the latest poll but also they would be showing no willingness to stand up for the SNP who even if they lose indyref2 will demand indyref3 the next day exactly as many nationalists refused to accept the result on the 2014 referendum.

Even if a referendum was held by Sturgeon without UK government approval Boris could ignore it exactly as Rajoy ignored the unconstitutional 2017 Catalan referendum even though 92% of Catalan voters voted for independence on a 43% turnout.

That was the right decision by the Spanish PM to uphold the Spanish constitution and the supremacy of the Spanish government and 4 years later Catalonia remains part of Spain

If the Scottish voters don't want to be in the Union anymore then why would you want them to be prisoners trapped in the UK with no legal method of voting to leave?

What does that achieve? Is the union worth more to you than the fact people don't want it? Isn't it better for the union to survive because people want it to survive?
    Philip, you should know by now he is not right in the Tattie
    It’s too early for attempted Burns.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This threader is sophistry and pish in equal measure.

The matter will end, maybe after years, with the SCOTUK, which will surely rule in favour of Westminster having reserved powers to allow a binding referendum,

Sturgeon will then have the dilemma of calling a wildcat "advisory" vote (and risking a definite boycott and a Catalan outcome, where support for Catindy has now fallen), or biding her time, and waiting for a parliament more amenable in 2024.

Will this attitude from London provoke increased support for indy? Yes, quite possibly. But then, if London looks likely to lose a vote in 2022-2023, then it has nothing to lose and everything to gain by holding firm, and hoping for a change of mood.

They are going to lose, only decision is do they have the good grace and decency to do it properly and democratically or do they just prove they are nothing other than petty little despots in a banana republic.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mr. Jonathan, the prevention of vaccine exports during a pandemic from a bloc that has screwed up its own response to a country that has acted more competently is wretched behaviour.

I agree with you. It is entirely bad when countries and blocks pursue a narrow self interest and indulge in divisive rhetoric.
    Which bloc do you mean? You can't bring yourself to write it can you? Starts with an E.....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

Because our laws (dating back to the 60s) don't allow it and we won't change them to be nice to the EU.

It's petty but hey that's our Government for you.
  • Options
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

Anything but answering the question. The EU is acting like a spoilt child throwing its toys out of the pram and you still want to blame the UK? Pathetic.
    I’m blaming corrosive nationalism in the EU that has always been a problem. The fact we are seeing more politicians across the channel indulge in it for short term gain is an entirely predictable side effect of the new political settlement. Depressing.
  • Options
    Also back on topic (yes, I know...), the trump card the SNP can play is simple. A manifesto which explicitly states that a vote for an SNP government is a vote for a new referendum on independence.

The Unionist parties can then campaign against the SNP on their various versions on support for the Union. Should the SNP secure a working majority then the will of the people is clear.

For me this is an absolute bear trap that the Tories are walking into. Supposedly someone has handed Boris paperwork proposing a "kick it into the long grass" commission on the constitution. As he is also trying to reshape constituencies in his favour and abolish an entire tier of local government to centralise even more power, it is obvious what the agenda is.

Should the commission be rejected in favour of a referendum then we're back down to colonialism. 'Yes you Scotch people with your kilts and your deep fried mars bars, you can vote if you want to, but unfortunately if you're going to vote wrong we will ignore your clear wishes and do the opposite because we matter and you don't.'

An advisory referendum and the "will of the people" became the word of God. The manifesto pledge to Get Brexit Done a literal instruction. Its politically impossible for this government to credibly try to claim the opposite is true in Scotland. They'll try because they aren't politically credible, but it won't stick.

Their only hope is to muster a Scottish election campaign where Labour, the Tories and the LibDems beat the SNP. Yeah, I know...
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

Mr. Jonathan, I'm not talking about rhetoric. I'm talking about the credible threat of preventing the export of life-saving medicine because the EU failed its response to the pandemic.

If the roles were reversed - would you be keen to see the UK export vaccine it desperately needed?

I'm conflicted on this. I wish there was enough to go around for everyone. Clearly the UK has paid for X and so should get X. But there is surely a point at which that breaks down...

If the UK was vaccinating 30y/olds like myself while Italy had shortages for those in the 65+ category... would it really be so unreasonable for them to refuse to export?
This discussion has been closed.