Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best of three. What of a fresh Scottish independence referendum? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

HYUFD said:

No, no, no.

If the UK government agrees another referendum now not only is there a large risk of losing Scotland, though no certainty with 49% Yes including DKs on the latest poll but also they would be showing no willingness to stand up for the SNP who even if they lose indyref2 will demand indyref3 the next day exactly as many nationalists refused to accept the result on the 2014 referendum.

Even if a referendum was held by Sturgeon without UK government approval Boris could ignore it exactly as Rajoy ignored the unconstitutional 2017 Catalan referendum even though 92% of Catalan voters voted for independence on a 43% turnout.

That was the right decision by the Spanish PM to uphold the Spanish constitution and the supremacy of the Spanish government and 4 years later Catalonia remains part of Spain

If the Scottish voters don't want to be in the Union anymore then why would you want them to be prisoners trapped in the UK with no legal method of voting to leave?

What does that achieve? Is the union worth more to you than the fact people don't want it? Isn't it better for the union to survive because people want it to survive?
    They voted 55% to stay in the UK in the 2014 once in a generation referendum, tough.

There is also no evidence the vast majority of them want to leave the UK either, less than 50% back Yes including undecideds on the latest poll so any referendum would just be feeding the SNP tiger.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

No, no, no.

If the UK government agrees another legal referendum now not only is there a large risk of losing Scotland, though no certainty with 49% Yes including DKs on the latest poll but also they would be showing no willingness to stand up to the SNP who even if they lose indyref2 will demand indyref3 the next day exactly as many nationalists refused to accept the result of the 2014 referendum. The 2014 referendum must be respected as a once in a generation vote.

Even if a referendum was held by Sturgeon without UK government approval Boris could ignore it exactly as Rajoy ignored the unconstitutional 2017 Catalan referendum even though 92% of Catalan voters voted for independence on a 43% turnout.

That was the right decision by the Spanish PM to uphold the Spanish constitution and the supremacy of the Spanish government and 4 years later Catalonia remains part of Spain

You are going to have to adjust your story as this goes forward and yes, sometimes you are wrong
    I am not, Boris will not risk his premiership by allowing a legal indyref2 that if lost would force him from No 10
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited January 2021
    Adam Parsons reporting from Brussels on Sky about the anger with AZ by the EU and the reduction from 80 million doses to 30 million. He said the EU are expecting AZ to be approved on Friday

He went on to say the controversy with AZ is far from over with further meetings on Wednesday

And significantly, he did not mention the 8% controversy at all and just indicated how desperate the EU is to get their hands on the AZ vaccine
  • Options

What else are on the agenda tonight?

(Since everyone ignored it on the last thread's discussion of data! :) )

Why are labour not doing better

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1353809414571089920?s=19
    Because
    a) Conservatives who know that Boris Johnson's government is corrupt, inept, vindictive, stupid, and immoral lack the backbone to stand up to him. That is, people like you. And,
    b) Because Labour are not an attractive enough alternative.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

This threader is sophistry and pish in equal measure.

The matter will end, maybe after years, with the SCOTUK, which will surely rule in favour of Westminster having reserved powers to allow a binding referendum,

Sturgeon will then have the dilemma of calling a wildcat "advisory" vote (and risking a definite boycott and a Catalan outcome, where support for Catindy has now fallen), or biding her time, and waiting for a parliament more amenable in 2024.

Will this attitude from London provoke increased support for indy? Yes, quite possibly. But then, if London looks likely to lose a vote in 2022-2023, then it has nothing to lose and everything to gain by holding firm, and hoping for a change of mood.

People said the same when Alastair correctly called the Supreme Court ruling on the prorogation crisis.
    Boris did not have a majority at Westminster then and was impotent as PM, he now has a majority of 80 in the Commons and is master of all he surveys based on the principle of our constitution that Crown in Parliament is sovereign
    Crown in Parliament is not sovereign and hasn't been since 1973. There are multiple Parliaments, the Scottish have their own Parliament. We've scrapped the European Parliament but the Scottish one still exists.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,009
    FPT

Riots and looting in Holland again tonight.

There is no injustice in the world that can't be resolved by grabbing yourself some new Nikes out of a smashed up storefront.
    If someone had told me the Dutch would rioting for any reason whatsoever 12 months ago I wouldn't have believed them.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

The wildcat 2014 Catalonia Indepndence Referendum ultimately set nationalism back there despite a heavy handed response from Madrid. I don't see how a Scottish equivalent (ignored by Westminster and boycotted by Unionists) would be any more successful for the SNP.

I'm not so sure Boris will turn down the request flat but might just string out negotiations on a referendum in the hope the nationalist tide will start to ebb post-pandemic as the economy recovers and Brexit related disruption is ironed out.

I know Ian Blackford isn't exactly popular in Westminster but does the permanent outrage go down well in Scotland?

• Options
    Would an independent Scotland joining the EU require it to have an additional official language?
  • Options

Leon said:

The matter will end, maybe after years, with the SCOTUK, which will surely rule in favour of Westminster having reserved powers to allow a binding referendum,

Sturgeon will then have the dilemma of calling a wildcat "advisory" vote (and risking a definite boycott and a Catalan outcome, where support for Catindy has now fallen), or biding her time, and waiting for a parliament more amenable in 2024.

Will this attitude from London provoke increased support for indy? Yes, quite possibly. But then, if London looks likely to lose a vote in 2022-2023, then it has nothing to lose and everything to gain by holding firm, and hoping for a change of mood.

What the heck is a "binding" referendum on a subject like this?

The EU Referendum wasn't "binding".

The question before SCOTUK will surely be whether they can lawfully hold a referendum - since under previous SCOTUK ruling all referenda are advisory, that element is moot.

If the SCOTUK rules in favour of the Scottish Parliament that they can legally hold a referendum then that is a game changer. It would be better not to go to Court than to lose that Court case because then the SCOTUK has essentially ruled it is a legal vote, not a wildcat one.
    It seems odd to me that a fervent supporter of Brexit wants to take away an opportunity for the people of Scotland to experience the outplaying of some of its benefits, as opposed to just the immediate-term fissures.

Nats desperately want Indyref 2 now, I think because they lack confidence in the accuracy of their dire predictions, and they calculate that there will never be an angrier time than now, or a better opponent than Boris. I am less certain of why you want it now so desperately, you who believes that Brexit is going to be a success. I think five or six years is plenty of time to gage that. Within the context of a 300 year Union, it doesn't seem much? Your haste seems not to be about giving the Scottish people choice, but booting them out the door as quickly as possible. Why? Do you just plain not like them?
    Philip Thompson is a Nationalist appeaser, I believe he even backed Scottish independence in 2014 in the hope of bringing forward 'glorious' Little England
  • Options

Maybe for the same reason Churchill was popular for the duration of the Second World War. People rally behind the leader in tough times.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2021

Why the fuck has the BBC's Covid correspondent on the ten o'clock news not got the hang of weekend differences on vaccination numbers?

"Only 200,000 - but that might be down to the snow."

Amateurs. Rank amateurs, reporting on the biggest story of our times - and there are a hundred people on here (and probably a thousand lurkers) with a better understanding.

You say this like they haven't f##ked up regularly for 10 months....math is hard.
  • Options

Leon said:

The question before SCOTUK will surely be whether they can lawfully hold a referendum - since under previous SCOTUK ruling all referenda are advisory, that element is moot.

If the SCOTUK rules in favour of the Scottish Parliament that they can legally hold a referendum then that is a game changer. It would be better not to go to Court than to lose that Court case because then the SCOTUK has essentially ruled it is a legal vote, not a wildcat one.
    It seems odd to me that a fervent supporter of Brexit wants to take away an opportunity for the people of Scotland to experience the outplaying of some of its benefits, as opposed to just the immediate-term fissures.

Nats desperately want Indyref 2 now, I think because they lack confidence in the accuracy of their dire predictions, and they calculate that there will never be an angrier time than now, or a better opponent than Boris. I am less certain of why you want it now so desperately, you who believes that Brexit is going to be a success. I think five or six years is plenty of time to gage that. Within the context of a 300 year Union, it doesn't seem much? Your haste seems not to be about giving the Scottish people choice, but booting them out the door as quickly as possible. Why? Do you just plain not like them?
    I believe in independence. Its why I voted Leave, its why I want the Scots to vote Yes. Independence works. Taking responsibility for yourself works. It is why I am a Conservative.

I don't believe in communitarianism. If the Scots want to be independent I say goodbye and good luck to them. I think it is for the best to be honest.

But either way more importantly than any of that, I believe in democracy. If they vote for it, they should get it.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

People said the same when Alastair correctly called the Supreme Court ruling on the prorogation crisis.
    Boris did not have a majority at Westminster then and was impotent as PM, he now has a majority of 80 in the Commons and is master of all he surveys based on the principle of our constitution that Crown in Parliament is sovereign
    Crown in Parliament is not sovereign and hasn't been since 1973. There are multiple Parliaments, the Scottish have their own Parliament. We've scrapped the European Parliament but the Scottish one still exists.
    Yes it is, Holyrood is merely a creation of Westminster, technically Westminster could scrap Holyrood tomorrow even if politically that might not be advisable.

EEC/EU membership was also the result of Westminster statute, once Westminster voted to withdraw so we left and are no longer subject to EU rules.
  • Options

As you can see from the Telegraph front page posted earlier in this thread, London has two more 3-star restaurants announced by Michelin tonight, bringing the capital to five and the country to seven.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

MrEd said:

Thanks Alastair for a very thought provoking piece. I disagree with your view that, if the UK Government does nothing, it looks timid. In fact, it's probably it's best policy. Say "there's no point dealing with you because whatever we negotiate, you will change the rules to suit your own view" and let the Scottish Government sort a referendum. Encourage Unionists to boycott it. Then have the position of the SNP having to come to your door asking for negotiation because, if it doesn't, most fund managers will be leaving Edinburgh ASAP.

I'm sure this whole renewed talk from Sturgeon has to do with the dispute over Salmond, and what she did / not do rightfully.

Yep. Far from looking timid, it's the only thing to do, because the wildcat scheme *depends* on the UK Government opposing this tooth and nail and getting into a big legal battle, with 'Boris vs. Sturgeon', which (Kle4 said rightly) Sturgeon could not lose - regardless of the legal outcome. Leaving them to get on with the white elephant with an air of faint bemusement deflates the whole thing.
    You mean, better strategy than sending ModProd, Beefeaters and Bullingtonians northward to crush incipient rebellion?
    I do. If only because the Union Jack waistcoats they would all be sporting are currently held up in customs.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723

Agenda? Is that the plural of agendum?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, no, no.

If the UK government agrees another referendum now not only is there a large risk of losing Scotland, though no certainty with 49% Yes including DKs on the latest poll but also they would be showing no willingness to stand up for the SNP who even if they lose indyref2 will demand indyref3 the next day exactly as many nationalists refused to accept the result on the 2014 referendum.

If the Scottish voters don't want to be in the Union anymore then why would you want them to be prisoners trapped in the UK with no legal method of voting to leave?

What does that achieve? Is the union worth more to you than the fact people don't want it? Isn't it better for the union to survive because people want it to survive?
    They voted 55% to stay in the UK in the 2014 once in a generation referendum, tough.

There is also no evidence the vast majority of them want to leave the UK either, less than 50% back Yes including undecideds on the latest poll so any referendum would just be feeding the SNP tiger.
    "Tough".

Way to win friends and influence people. You voted to stay last time so tough shit, we don't care what you think for the next two decades and don't you forget it.

Driving a stake through the heart that the Scots would ever make the mistake of voting No again.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe for the same reason Churchill was popular for the duration of the Second World War. People rally behind the leader in tough times.
    And Skyr. Bland and not to the voters' taste......
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555

Because
    a) Conservatives who know that Boris Johnson's government is corrupt, inept, vindictive, stupid, and immoral lack the backbone to stand up to him. That is, people like you. And,
    So, what should Labour do to be "more attractive"?

They tried a mad Marxist jew-baiter, your hero Corbyn, that didn't work, now they've tried a tedious centrist dad lawyer, also not working. What next?
  • Options

Why the fuck has the BBC's Covid correspondent on the ten o'clock news not got the hang of weekend differences on vaccination numbers?

Amateurs. Rank amateurs, reporting on the biggest story of our times - and there are a hundred people on here (and probably a thousand lurkers) with a better understanding.

You say this like they haven't f##ked up regularly for 10 months....math is hard.
    Oh hell no. HELL NO.

Maths is hard. We will not have any of that Americanisation here, we have standards on PB.

Saying 'math is hard' is worse than putting pineapple on pizza, which as you know is a terrible crime.
    So glad you said that not me. Well done Sir.
  • Options

We have been discussing this all day

I'm almost glad for the vaccine scare story. Bit of variety.
    +1
  • Options

Because
    I have no need to stand upto him when there is no other option available

I voted Blair twice so give me an option and I will reconsider
  • Options
    I see the media this evening are very upset about no summer holidays and how expensive quarantine will be.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited January 2021
    I don't want to live on this world if people are talking about Piers Moron for Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1353829237933957120/photo/1
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

On this point HY is correct. The Scottish Parliament exists because the Westminster Parliament wills it. You can argue ad nauseam about that from a moral perspective (as people have been since the start of devolution,) but in a legal sense it is true.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

HYUFD said:

No, no, no.

Wasn't that the attitude of the Copperheads who opposed Lincoln during the US Civil War?
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Leon said:

Hmm, I wonder whether there's a hidden message in that acronym.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

I don't want to live on this world if people are talking about Piers Moron for Prime Minister.

"Normally sane people are asking the question"

Glad they are admitting they have taken leave of their senses while asking it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028

It isn't math - it's using things like last 24 hours when its clear where the figures come from and what they relate to.
  • Options

Agenda? Is that the plural of agendum?
    Hacker - Come in, Humphrey. Come in, come in! Sit down. Only one item on the agenda today - the abolition of the DES.

Bernard - Actually, if there's only one item, it's an agenDUM.

Humphrey - I don't think the Prime Minister's got as far as the second declension.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

The Star has had some great headlines in recent times.

This is not one of them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Many thanks for those who have already responded to my son's questionnaire. Apparently more people on this site read select committee reports than watch PMQs. This is not the response he was expecting but, hey, its an unusually informed audience.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeS1F1uD7tiIDmtpxcfW8gqSbXJviKJbMEZTWESNFZqMcpXcA/viewform?usp=sf_link
  • Options

Because

There's a wealth of talent in the Conservative Party. Kind, competent, serious, and sensible men and women. So you're wrong. There are plenty of alternatives.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    IanB2 said:

God. No. Please. I can literally repeat the arguments on here word for word between HUFYD and co, including MalcGs excellent insults.

The tide is clearly going out on HY’s just say no.
    Not just him tbf. But it does have the air of an analysis both simplistic and driven by the wish not the thought.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

On this point HY is correct. The Scottish Parliament exists because the Westminster Parliament wills it. You can argue ad nauseum about that from a moral perspective (as people have been since the start of devolution,) but in a legal sense it is true.
    But on this point he is wrong.

Westminster could arguably abolish the Scottish Parliament but it has not done so. Unless it takes the step of doing so then the Scottish Parliament exists and is sovereign over issues that it can pass laws on, which the SCOTUK may or may not define as including referenda.

Simply having the hypothetical ability to abolish something, does not make it abolished unless you choose to actually do so.

This is just like the EU all over again. Some like TOPPING claimed that because the UK could vote to leave the EU the UK was "always sovereign" and therefore EU laws weren't above UK laws because we were choosing to be in the EU. De jure true maybe but de facto false - the EU laws were above UK laws unless or until we actually took the step of voting to leave.

Unless or until the UK votes to abolish Holyrood the fact that it "could" is meaningless.
  • Options

Leon said:

I believe in independence. Its why I voted Leave, its why I want the Scots to vote Yes. Independence works. Taking responsibility for yourself works. It is why I am a Conservative.

I don't believe in communitarianism. If the Scots want to be independent I say goodbye and good luck to them. I think it is for the best to be honest.

But either way more importantly than any of that, I believe in democracy. If they vote for it, they should get it.
    I don't really see how the Scots are not 'taking responsibility for themselves' within the context of the UK. They are doing that as much as anyone else here is. It seems rather patronising to suggest otherwise.

You are entitled to your belief, but I am interested to note that there isn't really what I would call a coherent argument here behind your support for Sindy - certainly not your being in lockstep with the SNP's timings over it. But oh well - all part of PB's rich tapestry.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Because

They tried a mad Marxist jew-baiter, your hero Corbyn, that didn't work, now they've tried a tedious centrist dad lawyer, also not working. What next?
    A Blairite I imagine if Starmer loses, maybe Liz Kendall.

However for now Labour has replaced Corbyn with a more telegenic Brownite, that does not mean they are heading for a landslide defeat a la Corbyn 2019 but nor are they likely to get a landslide victory a la Blair but Starmer might manage a hung parliament a la Brown 2010, perhaps this time forming a government with SNP and LD support.
  • Options

It wasn't long ago on here that I proposed "Piers Morgan elected" as the three scariest words possible
  • Options

Leon said:

What if I want to be "independent"? Or Cornwall? Or Shropshire? Hackney? A dog in the Wirral? The East Riding of old Yorkshire?

It might be appealing, in the moment. But at some point a country has to say: No, we are a country, we are unified, we have various traditions and cultures, but the centre must hold. And stay united. Otherwise we will hang apart, if we do not hang together.

Britain has arguably done a worse job of this than any other European country. We are probably the most successful big European nation over the last 300 years, judged in terms of average wealth over time, and being peaceful, safe, democratic and not-being-conquered. The fact we have allowed secessionist movements to develop, despite this success, is a total failure of the British elite, which lacks confidence in its own amazing brand.

Right now, too many posh Brits want the Scots to secede, just to punish the country for voting Leave (I accept your motivations are different)
  • Options

Because

There's a wealth of talent in the Conservative Party. Kind, competent, serious, and sensible men and women. So you're wrong. There are plenty of alternatives.
    I am one such and I have said often enough that Boris is not a covid PM
  • Options

IanB2 said:

On topic, Kettle in the Guardian:

One minister tells me the plan is for Johnson to announce that he considers the UK’s existing constitutional architecture is not working. Whether these issues are to be remitted to a constitutional commission of some kind, perhaps similar to the one proposed by the Labour leader Keir Starmer in December, will soon be made clear. These discussions are described as “very live”. But the target audience is clear: the voters whom ministers describe as the majority of the electorate in all four parts of the UK who do not have a passion for breaking up Britain.

Until recently, the Johnson government’s policy towards all this was to just say no. But that is changing now. There is panic and realism in the new approach. The SNP is formidable but not unbeatable. Divisions between reformists and ultras – between Sturgeon and Alex Salmond and their respective backers – may change the mood. If Sturgeon or any successor is pushed into calling an illegal referendum, it would trigger a widespread boycott that could open the way for different politics.

It is an enormous risk, and time is running out fast.

Ignoring the SNP's referendum wheeze is a bit like lockdown - one can help rid the world of a 'orrible disease just by staying at home.
    I believe you fastidiously stayed at home last time out because you felt it wasn't your beeswax, do you now feel Scottish enough to stay at home for tactical electoral reasons? Welcome! Be sure to get a window poster making it clear what your motivation is.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072

Argh, new threads! FPT:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Anyone tracking AstraZeneca's share price, there could be a killing to be made here.

FWIW I cannot see a successful company with a market capitalisation of $150 billion playing silly beggars offer the Covid vaccine, it would permanently damage their brand.

Oddly just last week the head of the German regulator praised the efficacy of AZ so this would have to be a massive about turn from the EMA.

No, it is perfectly possible to say AZN is moderately effective in younger age groups, but unproven effectiveness in older age groups.
    So why have we used millions of the effective in oldies Pfizer in people under 65 and millions of potentially useless AZN to over 80s?

We really need to re evaluate quickly unless these reports are BS
    You are still using the highly irresponsible language of 'potentially useless AZN'

It is just not acceptable
    Beyond that, the German report is obviously false.

Breathe, then think about this.

It quotes a specific efficacy estimate of 8% for people over 65.

No efficacy value exists in the published phase 3 trial report for older cohorts (moreover, even within that there is no "over 65" group. Participants are grouped into three age cohorts, 18-55, 56-69 and 70+)

There have been no other published trials of the vaccine.

There has been insufficient time to assess the efficacy of the vaccine in older people during the rollout, because it only began recently, most recipients won't have had time to build immunity based on the first shot let alone had the second, and it will take more time after that to discover how many recipients have subsequently fallen ill, and what degree of efficacy this value implies.

The 8% figure cannot, therefore, have any basis in evidence, and neither can any broader suggestion that low efficacy in older people has been proven. Either the report has been fabricated, the source was telling porkies, or the source grossly misinterpreted data with which he/she/they were presented. At a guess, the latter explanation seems the most likely.
    That is an excellent analysis.

My guess is that you are correct in that it is cock up over conspiracy, but still...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

On this point HY is correct. The Scottish Parliament exists because the Westminster Parliament wills it. You can argue ad nauseum about that from a moral perspective (as people have been since the start of devolution,) but in a legal sense it is true.
    But on this point he is wrong.

Westminster could arguably abolish the Scottish Parliament but it has not done so. Unless it takes the step of doing so then the Scottish Parliament exists and is sovereign over issues that it can pass laws on, which the SCOTUK may or may not define as including referenda.

Simply having the hypothetical ability to abolish something, does not make it abolished unless you choose to actually do so.

This is just like the EU all over again. Some like TOPPING claimed that because the UK could vote to leave the EU the UK was "always sovereign" and therefore EU laws weren't above UK laws because we were choosing to be in the EU. De jure true maybe but de facto false - the EU laws were above UK laws unless or until we actually took the step of voting to leave.

Unless or until the UK votes to abolish Holyrood the fact that it "could" is meaningless.
    However even if Holyrood continues in existence Westminster still legally under the Scotland Act 1998 has the decisive say on the Union
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Leon said:

Because

They need a Jacinda.

And, of course, the UK Labour party is full of photogenic, under-forty, female MPs, who could easily do an Adern if given the chance -- and rout Boris.

But, alas, Labour is the most misogynistic of our parties, and so they all voted for Sir Keir PersonalityBypass.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    edited January 2021

I bet he studied PPE at Oxford.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DavidL said:

Many thanks for those who have already responded to my son's questionnaire. Apparently more people on this site read select committee reports than watch PMQs. This is not the response he was expecting but, hey, its an unusually informed audience.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeS1F1uD7tiIDmtpxcfW8gqSbXJviKJbMEZTWESNFZqMcpXcA/viewform?usp=sf_link

It's very rare than I would read a select committee report, but I have at least done it - I don't watch PMQs because I already follow a lot of political theatre so have no need to do that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Because

Lose
    Lose
    Lose
    Lose
    BLAIR
    BLAIR
    BLAIR
    Lose
    Lose
    Lose
    Lose

:smiley:
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Would an independent Scotland joining the EU require it to have an additional official language?

English is still an official EU language:

https://www.euronews.com/2020/12/31/will-english-remain-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit

Scottish Gaelic became an official EU language in 2011:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/scots-gaelic-becomes-an-eu-language-1799290.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

Because

1. Corbyn is not my hero and I have never voted Labour. Direct your comments to Labour supporters.
    2. Your antisemitic comments on here in recent days haven't been forgotten. A wiser person would have apologised.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Argh, new threads! FPT:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Anyone tracking AstraZeneca's share price, there could be a killing to be made here.

FWIW I cannot see a successful company with a market capitalisation of $150 billion playing silly beggars offer the Covid vaccine, it would permanently damage their brand.

Oddly just last week the head of the German regulator praised the efficacy of AZ so this would have to be a massive about turn from the EMA.

No, it is perfectly possible to say AZN is moderately effective in younger age groups, but unproven effectiveness in older age groups.
    So wIThy have we used millions of the effective in oldies Pfizer in people under 65 and millions of potentially useless AZN to over 80s?

You are still using the highly irresponsible language of 'potentially useless AZN'

No efficacy value exists in the published phase 3 trial report for older cohorts (moreover, even within that there is no "over 65" group. Participants are grouped into three age cohorts, 18-55, 56-69 and 70+)

There has been insufficient time to assess the efficacy of the vaccine in older people during the rollout, because it only began recently, most recipients won't have had time to build immunity based on the first shot let alone had the second, and it will take more time after that to discover how many recipients have subsequently fallen ill, and what degree of efficacy this value implies.

The 8% figure cannot, therefore, have any basis in evidence, and neither can any broader suggestion that low efficacy in older people has been proven. Either the report has been fabricated, the source was telling porkies, or the source grossly misinterpreted data with which he/she/they were presented. At a guess, the latter explanation seems the most likely.

My guess is that you are correct in that it is cock up over conspiracy, but still...
    It is a viciously pernicious cock-up, at just the worst time. German media is notoriously complacent, fat, apathetic and PC, and over-protected, but really. IF this is a cock-up, people should be sacked.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072

FPT:

From the UK Government paper on it:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/949772/UKPAR_COVID_19_Vaccine_AstraZeneca_05.01.2021.pdf

P33
    “ There is limited information available on efficacy in participants aged 65 or over, although there is nothing to suggest lack of protection. In this subpopulation, there were only two COVID-19 cases in the primary analysis. When considering all cases from dose 1, there were 2 cases on AZD1222 compared to 8 on control (VE=76%), although this result was associated with a wide confidence interval.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if the 95% confidence interval ranged as far down as 8% for that. Someone who can do the stats off the top of their head can tell us.

That is an excellent point: given a sample size of 10, your confidence range is going to be utterly ginormous.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see the far left taken over of the legaslative agenda is proceeding apace in America

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1353799613875187712?s=19

McConnell is basically filibustering the Dem win and Manchin and Sinema haven't worked out they will be the most powerful people in the Senate if they tell him to go fuck himself.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

Because

They need a Jacinda.

And, of course, the UK Labour party is full of photogenic, under-forty, female MPs, who could easily do an Adern if given the chance -- and rout Boris.

But, alas, Labour is the most misogynistic of our parties, and so they all voted for Sir Keir PersonalityBypass.
    Jacinda of course became PM in 2017 having come second on both votes and seats behind the governing Nationals.

She only came to power through deals with the Greens and NZ First, Starmer could well become PM on similar backroom deals if Boris loses his majority in 2024
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

It must be because Boris is so terrible that the furious public wish to punish him for his terribleness by repeatedly awarding him thumping shares of the vote.... :wink:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

It's very rare than I would read a select committee report, but I have at least done it - I don't watch PMWs because I already follow a lot of political theatre so have no need to do that.
    I have looked at them on occasion where the topic was of particular interest to me but it is not a regular event. I very much appreciate and benefit from the degree of knowledge on this site and the interesting links that it throws up.
  • Options
    Would love to have been a fly on the wall in the AZ boardroom today!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

I don't really see how the Scots are not 'taking responsibility for themselves' within the context of the UK. They are doing that as much as anyone else here is. It seems rather patronising to suggest otherwise.

You are entitled to your belief, but I am interested to note that there isn't really what I would call a coherent argument here behind your support for Sindy - certainly not your being in lockstep with the SNP's timings over it. But oh well - all part of PB's rich tapestry.
    I'm not in lockstep with the SNP's timings - I have said I respect the decision of the Scottish electorate. I don't get a vote on this subject.

If the Scottish electorate give the SNP a majority on a clear and unambiguous manifesto pledge the such is democracy. If they deny the SNP a majority then that too is democracy. That is for the Scottish voters to decide and I don't have a vote in that election any more than I had a vote in who should be Labour leader.

As for "taking responsibility for themselves" then the issue is that for any issue the goto response is to blame London, even if its a mess of their own making. That's not taking responsibility for yourselves. It is the same argument as to why Brexit was a good idea because British politicians could no longer hide between blaming Brussels. Exactly the same principle.
  • Options

I bet he studied PPE at Oxford.
    We must make a complete list of the wankers who did PPE at Oxford -- I found another one the other day.

Mark Reckless (PPE Christ Church).

Come the Senedd elections 2021, I can't expect a decent or competent Government to take office thereafter.

But, at least, please, please God, give me the joy of seeing Mark Reckless booted out of Wales.
  • Options

Leon said:

Because

Lose
    Lose
    Lose
    Lose
    BLAIR
    BLAIR
    BLAIR
    Lose
    Lose
    Lose
    Lose

:smiley:
    Starmer is ideologically not much different to Biden and similarly dull if inoffensive, probably even more dull than Biden.

Biden got in on an anti Trump ticket, Starmer would need to get in on an anti Boris ticket next time
  • Options
    You always wanted to know the German translation of “Cummings chucks a dead cat on the table”, didn't you?

https://twitter.com/alexandreafonso/status/1353823301156675584
  • Options

Because

"Modesty? One of my many fine qualities!"
  • Options

English is still an official EU language:

https://www.euronews.com/2020/12/31/will-english-remain-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit

Scottish Gaelic became an official EU language in 2011:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/scots-gaelic-becomes-an-eu-language-1799290.html
    I know English still is (for Ireland & Malta), but didn't realise Scots Gaelic had been. It's not on the list any more, presumably because there aren't any Scots Gaelic EU citizens any more?
    https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/eu-languages_en#:~:text=1 Bulgarian 2 Croatian 3 Czech 4 Danish,Finnish 9 French 10 German More items...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

The Pfizer one too given the threat of an EU export ban on their Belgian manufacturing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Because

1. Corbyn is not my hero and I have never voted Labour. Direct your comments to Labour supporters.
    2. Your antisemitic comments on here in recent days haven't been forgotten. A wiser person would have apologised.
    You're a self confessed leftie and cranky anti-Semite, seeking to divert attention from your obsession. Your attempts to distract from this are noted.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The Pfizer one too given the threat of an EU export ban on their Belgian manufacturing.
    Perhaps the UK, US and Canada could establish an international zone around the Pfizer plant and nearby port in Antwerp, just to ensure smooth delivery.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Argh, new threads! FPT:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

So wIThy have we used millions of the effective in oldies Pfizer in people under 65 and millions of potentially useless AZN to over 80s?

It is a viciously pernicious cock-up, at just the worst time. German media is notoriously complacent, fat, apathetic and PC, and over-protected, but really. IF this is a cock-up, people should be sacked.
    You post it as if PC were a bad thing. PC = Informed politeness; I see nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    This is from the Berlin bureau chief of the Economist:

https://twitter.com/tom_nuttall/status/1353795509039869953
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    edited January 2021
    Astra Zeneca have wasted no time saying the reported figures in German media are bollocks.

Again the EU put a tremendous amount of stock by the AZ vaccine in their planning, to have this kind of floating story is no good for them.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

Self-reported TV viewing figures don't work, because people say they watched David Attenborough when they mean they would have done but for some unique and utterly anomalous circumstance which prevented them. And they say they didn't watch Coronation Street, because it was just on the telly when they happened to be in the room.

Just saying.
  • Options
    I guess it's a massive problem for Germany to have a vaccine that isn't efficacious for all age bands, given their health service has no idea how old individual citizens are from their records.

What a record keeping Murks.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

On topic, Kettle in the Guardian:

One minister tells me the plan is for Johnson to announce that he considers the UK’s existing constitutional architecture is not working. Whether these issues are to be remitted to a constitutional commission of some kind, perhaps similar to the one proposed by the Labour leader Keir Starmer in December, will soon be made clear. These discussions are described as “very live”. But the target audience is clear: the voters whom ministers describe as the majority of the electorate in all four parts of the UK who do not have a passion for breaking up Britain.

Until recently, the Johnson government’s policy towards all this was to just say no. But that is changing now. There is panic and realism in the new approach. The SNP is formidable but not unbeatable. Divisions between reformists and ultras – between Sturgeon and Alex Salmond and their respective backers – may change the mood. If Sturgeon or any successor is pushed into calling an illegal referendum, it would trigger a widespread boycott that could open the way for different politics.

It is an enormous risk, and time is running out fast.

Ignoring the SNP's referendum wheeze is a bit like lockdown - one can help rid the world of a 'orrible disease just by staying at home.
    I believe you fastidiously stayed at home last time out because you felt it wasn't your beeswax, do you now feel Scottish enough to stay at home for tactical electoral reasons? Welcome! Be sure to get a window poster making it clear what your motivation is.
    As I said, I would vote in a new Indyref (a legally binding one). And I don't think it's really about feeling Scottish. I have nothing but admiration and love for Scotland and its people, but I don't think I feel any more Scottish than I did when I arrived - though I have learned a lot and gained a far greater understanding, great love of Scotch whisky and Scottish food, and lots of wonderful Scottish friends. For me it's more about being invested and committed here. I suppose you'd have to live in England for a while to understand the perspective. You are part of something but not.

If the joke ref happens, I won't participate. It won't be a big statement, I'll just have other stuff on.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Why aren’t Labour doing better in the polls
    1. There is not an election for three years
    2. Fatigue from the Brexit wars, limit engagement with politics
    3. Corbyn did a shit load of damage.
    4. We’re in the middle of a crisis, government gets benefit of the doubt.
    5. Labour have lost their cutting edge. Need to toughen up.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

Riots and looting in Holland again tonight.

There is no injustice in the world that can't be resolved by grabbing yourself some new Nikes out of a smashed up storefront.
    If someone had told me the Dutch would rioting for any reason whatsoever 12 months ago I wouldn't have believed them.
    December 2019...
    Arrests, riots and car fires ahead of the Dutch New Year celebrations
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/12/arrests-riots-and-car-fires-ahead-of-the-dutch-new-year-celebrations/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Argh, new threads! FPT:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

So why have we used millions of the effective in oldies Pfizer in people under 65 and millions of potentially useless AZN to over 80s?

My thought on reading it was that if we are lucky the press might give a simplified version of the demolition of the German "source" in 2-3 days, maybe next Sunday.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Argh, new threads! FPT:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Argh, new threads! FPT:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

You post it as if PC were a bad thing. PC = Informed Politeness; I see nothing wrong with that.
    A fair point, from the British perspective, but we are talking about Germany. I have friends who work for German media, they report that it is relentlessly, absurdly PC - there is no attempt to provide balance. eg if there is a report about immigration, it is ALWAYS positive, unless it literally impossible to do otherwise (eg the Koln NYE riots).

The BBC looks positively centrist in comparison, or so I am told, by lefty friends who are still shocked by the outrageous leftiness of German media.

Of course, their history must be taken as context. And it is quite a context.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Because

You're a self confessed leftie and cranky anti-Semite, seeking to divert attention from your obsession. Your attempts to distract from this are noted.
    You were spreading antisemitic conspiracy theories.
    I condemned you for it.

And I can prove it by linking to your comment so people don't have to take my word for it.
    Whereas you're just a gaslighting liar.
  • Options

Because

"Modesty? One of my many fine qualities!"
    I am sure my good lady of 57 years would endorse my comment as would many others including all my employees good wishes letters to me on my retirement
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

Because

They need a Jacinda.

2017 New Zealand general election result

Nationals 44% Ardern's Labour 37%.

So Starmer Labour is actually doing better than Ardern Labour did when Ardern first became PM.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Argh, new threads! FPT:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

My thought on reading it was that if we are lucky the press might give a simplified version of the demolition of the German "source" in 2-3 days, maybe next Sunday.
    Punishment, NK style?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Perhaps the UK, US and Canada could establish an international zone around the Pfizer plant and nearby port in Antwerp, just to ensure smooth delivery.
    AIUI the Canadian Government is likely to collapse this year. Justin Trudeau may have more pressing concerns at the moment than planning an invasion of Belgium.

Biden might be persuadable if they cut off part of the Americans' vaccine supplies, though.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It is a stark warning to pharmaceutical companies to relocate out of the EU as soon as they can
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I had haggis, tatties and neeps for tea tonight. Very good it was too with just a dram of whisky on the haggis. I miss the Burns night celebrations, its an excellent night usually.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829

Is that normally sane people on high dose psilocybin ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I've never had black bun, or Rumbledethumps! Both look like I'd enjoy them - Scottish food is amazing.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

AIUI the Canadian Government is likely to collapse this year. Justin Trudeau may have more pressing concerns at the moment than planning an invasion of Belgium.
    Maybe he can outsource it to HYUFD ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2021
    Andy_JS said:
    Look at the state of replies....its now an internet "fact"
  • Options
    i

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Biden might be persuadable if they cut off part of the Americans' vaccine supplies, though.
    It isn't, the NDP will still back the Liberals on a confidence vote.

Conte's Italian government mind you...
  • Options
    If anyone actually cares about antisemitism on these boards:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3211907#Comment_3211907

Pfizer, who have a Jewish CEO. Israel. And oh what's that "cough cough" about?

Here's the EHRC definition (bullet points 2 and 6 are the interesting ones)
    https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/resources/working-definitions-charters/working-definition-antisemitism

Make your own minds up.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe he can outsource it to HYUFD ?
    Some Canadian expeditionary forces? I'm sure @HYUFD can deal with two fronts simultaneously.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Saw news stories about possible government collapse in Canada a few weeks ago, thought maybe things had stabilised. Always good, as an outsider, to see more elections!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Look at the state of replies....its now an internet "fact"
    No doubt some of the people who consider it to be a "fact" would call themselves "sceptics" too.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Leon said:

I'm not in lockstep with the SNP's timings - I have said I respect the decision of the Scottish electorate. I don't get a vote on this subject.

If the Scottish electorate give the SNP a majority on a clear and unambiguous manifesto pledge the such is democracy. If they deny the SNP a majority then that too is democracy. That is for the Scottish voters to decide and I don't have a vote in that election any more than I had a vote in who should be Labour leader.

As for "taking responsibility for themselves" then the issue is that for any issue the goto response is to blame London, even if its a mess of their own making. That's not taking responsibility for yourselves. It is the same argument as to why Brexit was a good idea because British politicians could no longer hide between blaming Brussels. Exactly the same principle.
    Just popped in to have a quick look and find another - again interesting - header in indyref 2. Thank you.

BTW the prorogation crisis should have made people realise Scots law also exists, so that is another factor (as Scotuk doesn't like striking it down just cos English law is different, as we also saw re prorogation).

And I won't comment in detail on the tone of some of the commentary on here, which is little short of colonialist in its thinking or at least its desperate hopes - for what else is saying No to a politically legitimate vote?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    Newsnight reporting a half-arsed approach to quarantine hotels is expected.

What a surprise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    I had haggis, tatties and neeps for tea tonight. Very good it was too with just a dram of whisky on the haggis. I miss the Burns night celebrations, its an excellent night usually.
    I had that too, though not the dram on the haggis: I had that later.
This discussion has been closed.