Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Let’s stop this faux outrage over Boris being seen cycling 7 miles from Downing Street – politicalbe

Comments

• mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    Nigelb said:

And we never had so much as a single thread on this election....
    https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1348871905789399040

Must have been a very liquid market on the exchanges!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Scott_xP said:

Why did BoZo cycle round a park 7 miles from his residence?

To reinforce the STAY AT HOME message...

Boris in St. James's Park, Welly Barracks silhouetted in the background = also one rule for them.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Sandpit said:

Great news on the vaccines, maybe this is what everyone should be talking about.

4th in the world on vaccines per capita, behind two small nations and one tiny one, and well ahead of all the G20 and EU27 nations.

Sadly, good news doesn’t generate clicks or sell papers.

The cycle-wank is BECAUSE of this good news on vaccines. There are some whose minds are so swimming in hatred, they just cannot bear the idea of our PM being seen to do a great job on something, for once. Especially when that something is the biggest challenge facing our nation.

So there must be chaff thrown out, to hide the positive. Even at the cost of being made to look total pillocks. Retaining ther reputation doesn't matter. Trashing the PM's does.

They are going to totally lose their shit when the voters mark his Covid scorecard: "Good start, lousy middle, strong finish."

I think that you will find that voters are infamously ungrateful.

The UK is doing well on vaccines because we do have an NHS that is specifically designed for such purposes.

Government vaccine policy has been far from perfect though, and in particular the single dose gambit could come very unstuck if it fails to suppress the disease.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    edited January 2021
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Good thread and absolutely.

Can't help feeling that it needed a trigger warning for @Dura_Ace though.

I had to have a Silkwood Shower after seeing Johnson's Halfords contraption.
    To google or not to google...
    A reference to the Streep film about a plutonium processing plant scandal, I think.
    ie decontamination.

Why do you assume that everything @Dura_Ace posts is filth ?
    When its only about 50%.
  • Sandpit said:

Great news on the vaccines, maybe this is what everyone should be talking about.

4th in the world on vaccines per capita, behind two small nations and one tiny one, and well ahead of all the G20 and EU27 nations.

The cycle-wank is BECAUSE of this good news on vaccines. There are some whose minds are so swimming in hatred, they just cannot bear the idea of our PM being seen to do a great job on something, for once. Especially when that something is the biggest challenge facing our nation.

So there must be chaff thrown out, to hide the positive. Even at the cost of being made to look total pillocks. Retaining ther reputation doesn't matter. Trashing the PM's does.

They are going to totally lose their shit when the voters mark his Covid scorecard: "Good start, lousy middle, strong finish."

You are spot on
  • Sandpit said:

Who is throwing the chaff? That would be the Prime Minister with his photo-ops.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    mwadams said:

Nigelb said:

And we never had so much as a single thread on this election....
    https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1348871905789399040

Must have been a very liquid market on the exchanges!
    Another 1.02 free money offer?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    TOPPING said:

He was stupid to do anything that could create any sense of ambiguity about the stay at home message or add to the sense that there is one rule for the elite and another for everyone else. It's not a resigning matter but it's another example of why Johnson is such a poor PM.

I've not commented on this up to now as I don't think that targeting individuals (even the PM) is usually helpeful, but since Mike raises it, I think OLB's argument is the point, not the 7 miles itself. The policy is ambiguous (originally it was announced with a time limit which disappeared in the detailed guidance), there is no definition of local, and advice on whether you can drive to a spot where you'd like to walk and how far that can be is missing. To highlight an ambiguous policy with the PM's behaviour pushing at the boundary, and then refuse to give details simply adds to the confusion.

If the rule was "You can exercise on foot or by bike for N hours" or "at a distance of X", then I'm absolutely in favour of Johnson being able to do exactly that without anyone hassling him. But the position is unclear and the PM and his spokespeople are evasive about it, which absolurtely encourages people to do the sort of dodgy compromise with the semi-formulated rules that is perpetuating the pandemic longer than necessary.

Personally I favour a limit of say 4 miles, and if you want to exercise more, you can go round again. That's boring, someone might say? Don't waste our time with piffle - people are putting up with much worse. But any reasonable, clear rule would also be fine.
    You would then be inundated with stories of people whose local wood/park/sports ground was X.1 miles away.

OLB's point is well made although I can see Boris thinking I'm setting an example by taking exercise in a non-toff (ie Green/Hyde Park) area.

Better people think oh the PM is exercising I should also. Those who think right that's it I'll travel 2X miles to do so? Less of a risk.
    And people would ask if 4 miles why not 5? If 5 why not 6? But then the motorway speed limit argument comes in. It is 70mph so that 100mph is clearly too fast, but 80mph is clearly tolerable. And clarity beats vagueness.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited January 2021

The government will need to get on top of this quickly:
    https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1348740116701970439

As will Mr Rashford as Compass / Chartwell are a member of his Child Poverty Taskforce (and seem to be profiteering from it).

https://www.compass-group.co.uk/media/news/chartwells-is-the-first-school-caterer-to-join-child-food-poverty-taskforce/
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

To google or not to google...
    A reference to the Streep film about a plutonium processing plant scandal, I think.
    ie decontamination.

Why do you assume that everything @Dura_Ace posts is filth ?
    When its only about 50%.
    Another false positive.
  • We need to get guarantees that the excess profits the private sector is generating by turning public money into sub-standard food packages for vulnerable kids are not being spent by managements and shareholders on recreational drugs.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Isn`t a Halford`s contraption an adequate, sufficient device for a short ride completely within the rules Dura Ace?
    The only worse sin than riding a BSO is bringing mixed radix counting systems of measuring distance into any discussion of cycling. Km or GTFO.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    TOPPING said:

You would then be inundated with stories of people whose local wood/park/sports ground was X.1 miles away.

OLB's point is well made although I can see Boris thinking I'm setting an example by taking exercise in a non-toff (ie Green/Hyde Park) area.

Better people think oh the PM is exercising I should also. Those who think right that's it I'll travel 2X miles to do so? Less of a risk.

Whatever. Clear rules, followed by prominent people. I'd suggest there is NOWHERE in Britain that you can't get reasonable exercise within 2 miles of your home, as Foxy suggests, and if you're prominent make it a bit less to avoid media hassle.

We need to get guarantees that the excess profits the private sector is generating by turning public money into sub-standard food packages for vulnerable kids are not being spent by managements and shareholders on recreational drugs.

Easy way of doing that would be to spend more than £5 of the £30 on food. Granted you would then need to make sure that the suppliers don't spend the profits on recreational drugs but at least their gross profit margins wouldn't be 500%...
  • Fans of Biking Boris (and counterfactual historians) will recall this little mishap in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyO4Y210eFo
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Isn`t a Halford`s contraption an adequate, sufficient device for a short ride completely within the rules Dura Ace?
    The only worse sin than riding a BSO is bringing mixed radix counting systems of measuring distance into any discussion of cycling. Km or GTFO.
    Your snobbery regarding things mechanical is a wonder to behold.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,761

DavidL said:

Too many rules that are too complicated and change too often. It is a text book case of how not to do law or even guidance. I can only hope that those in charge learn from this but not so far. If we had had a clearer set of national rules in force since February last year I am absolutely certain compliance would be much, much higher than it is right now.

I'm not. What the pandemic has shown is that there is a sizeable subset of the population who don't do laws, don't do rules. They are for others.

12 months on, these people were not going to have turned into model citizens - unless cowed into compliance by huge financial penalties, widely enforced by the police. The current handful of £200 fines is just the lottery of being caught speeding - but without the risk of penalty points.

Maybe if they were given 200 hours of community service picking litter - for each offence. Dressed in a luminous orange jumpsuit with SELFISH TWAT emblazoned on it. Then the risk of hosting a BBQ for 30 or a drinking in a private lock-in has a bit more of a bite to it.
    There's always arseholes but there are a lot more people who want to do the right thing and are genuinely confused. And that's before they try to read the relevant SIs!
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    On topic I don't understand why the British have rules about being outside.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Earlier this morning, Commissioner Dick: it is "preposterous" to think public don't understand the rules.

Last half hour, Commissioner Dick: "it can be complex both for the public and my frontline officers to know what the regulations are". There have been many changes.

So, which is it?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Because people were taking the piss about having mass picnics in parks, and BBQs in gardens.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Because it provides an further yummy reason for us to attack and snitch on each other.
  • There is no world in which Johnson, 56, is in his "early 50s".

There is no world in which Johnson, 56, is in his "early 50s".

Fuck off. I`m 56 and I am.

FFS, this media bollocks over Boris bike trip, the antilockdown park bench stunt...they are back to the bullshitty of the first lockdown, constantly looking for inconsistencies in the rules. Unless the government were to write 100000s of pages, they can't cover every aspect of our lives. The only ither alternative is in your house, you can't come out, end of.

The absolute key message from Whitty has totally been lost.

It doesn't matter what the rules or guidance is, every interaction has the potential to continue the chain if transmission, so only interact with other people of you absolutely need to.

This media looking for an easy "win" is costing lives.

The issue there is that in this round of stories the Police in Derbyshire triggered it off which then resulted in a whole set of how can we push things stories.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I think I am undergoing the most boring episode of weather in all British history. Temperature to remain at 9° (no nocturnal variation) for the next 49 hours, with rain and a westerly.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Even better would be to not even mention a story like this...

Yep, it's not like taking your mask off & talking to some old biddies for a few seconds at a funeral which should be a resigning matter, I read.
    While one can understand Johnson going for a cycle ride....... I wish I could .......in his position and just after the shenanigans over exercise recently, it was a damn' fool thing to do. He doesn't really look dressed for it either; it's almost as though he, the ultimate author of the rules, were sticking two fingers up to them.
    On the contrary... as Mike suggests, for a cyclist being 7 miles from home is no big deal. Even a runner. On my last Sunday long run I was 6.2 miles from home at the furthest point, according to Google Maps.
    Note that the question of whether he actually cycled there has been asked several times, and dodged.
    One would assume then that he didn't.
  • I agree with Mike.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Why are we even discussing this? Transmitting Covid whilst riding a bike would be quite a challenge, whether it be 5, 7 or 20 miles. Who cares?

Shouldn`t we focus on basement parties and covert bars - you know, those indoor groupy things?

I would have thought, given the depth and regularity of breathing involved, plus 5e energetic expulsion of air from lungs, that it would actually be rather easy to spread Covid while riding a bike.
    I don't know either way, and I'm not suggesting that we should create unnecessary problems for cyclists - if cycling is thought by scientists to be pretty safe from spreading infection, then let's include an exemption in the rules - "You can cycle as far as you like so long as you don't ghet off and walk around in another area" or whatever. Perhaps, if it's safe, we can use the opportunity to promote cycling. But don't make up an ambiguous rule and then appear to flout it.
  • As usual the narrative from the government is directly contradictory and thus confusing. It is clear that we are on the precipice of a true catastrophe when it comes to the pox, especially in London, where people are taking liberal interpretations of the rules at best to help spread the thing around.

So there isn't a question about whether the law allows the PM to ride his bike around a park in Stratford - it does. Its a question about message. If the government really wants to clamp down on people behaving unwisely - and rolling out Chris "stern message" Whitty suggests it does, was it wise to let the PM out on his bike?

What message does it send to Londoners about what is ok? Yeah, you can go across town, no problem. Ignore the people imploring you to stay at home.

Then we have the worst infraction. Riding a bike. In a suit.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Mixed radix? Isn't the sin mixed units? I don't see anyone counting in binary or hexadecimal!
  • Scott_xP said:
    Of course the problem is it depends where you live....some places you can't run on the roads as too busy , so you need to find a park, in a city thar might be a few miles. others only fields which very boggy this time of year and no sidewalks, so a park might be 10+ miles. Some people live in a sweat spot where they have options.

So then do we say 3 miles in London, 5 in Tamworth, a mileage for every area..

And it is all totally unenforceable.

1000 tweets of this shit.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Mixed radix? Isn't the sin mixed units? I don't see anyone counting in binary or hexadecimal!
    There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Why are we even discussing this? Transmitting Covid whilst riding a bike would be quite a challenge, whether it be 5, 7 or 20 miles. Who cares?

Shouldn`t we focus on basement parties and covert bars - you know, those indoor groupy things?

I would have thought, given the depth and regularity of breathing involved, plus 5e energetic expulsion of air from lungs, that it would actually be rather easy to spread Covid while riding a bike.
    I don't know either way, and I'm not suggesting that we should create unnecessary problems for cyclists - if cycling is thought by scientists to be pretty safe from spreading infection, then let's include an exemption in the rules - "You can cycle as far as you like so long as you don't ghet off and walk around in another area" or whatever. Perhaps, if it's safe, we can use the opportunity to promote cycling. But don't make up an ambiguous rule and then appear to flout it.
    Then we are down the rabbit hole of what about skateboards, what about....etc etc etc.

You just can't legislate or provide guidance for every possible situation in life.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    In all this 'chaff' about rule making/keeping/breaking one thing stands out. Every morning I have a look at the BBC's 'The Papers' and once upon a time the Star had a nonsense headline just about every day. Now it's relentlessly mocking the PM.
    Yes, I know the Star has a minuscule readership, but it's still there, and, when (if) it's readers vote, the idea of being led by a clown might not appeal. To most anyway.
    I also note that the once unqualified support for the Tories from the Mail's headline writers seems to be evaporating.
  • The more I think about it. I'm convinced Starmer's ceiling is 260 seats like 2017 because the Tories and Labour and 39% now. I can't see gaining more than 50 seats from the Tories or 5-10 seats from the SNP.

In fact I'm convinced it will be the lib dems who will determine whether Starmer becomes prime minister or not and if they can gain hitchin and harpenden and wokingham etc or not.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

The UK is doing well on vaccines because we do have an NHS that is specifically designed for such purposes.

Government vaccine policy has been far from perfect though, and in particular the single dose gambit could come very unstuck if it fails to suppress the disease.

It's mad that we are not doing a trial comparing the single and double dose approach.
    Genuinely a decision that could save hundreds of thousands of lives.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

The angriest I ever seen Mrs DA was when I got my laptop out at Brussels airport and announced I was going to change the boost map on our hired BMW via the ODB2 port before we drove to the hotel.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    edited January 2021
    How could anyone sustain an instant and 24 hour news cycle without faux outrage? I don't think it can be done. Even with all the faux surveys and faux awareness raisers and faux experts and faux pundits, faux lobby groups and faux policy wonks and faux celebrity stories there is still a huge gap for faux outrage to fill. Nor can it quite all be filled with long queues of people with a faux book to sell.

And if you need faux outrage to fill the space in this week of great stories, when won't you?

Your battle is already lost.
  • Earlier this morning, Commissioner Dick: it is "preposterous" to think public don't understand the rules.

Last half hour, Commissioner Dick: "it can be complex both for the public and my frontline officers to know what the regulations are". There have been many changes.

So, which is it?

My guess is that between the two statements, the Commissioner actually looked at the rules online.

In all this 'chaff' about rule making/keeping/breaking one thing stands out. Every morning I have a look at the BBC's 'The Papers' and once upon a time the Star had a nonsense headline just about every day. Now it's relentlessly mocking the PM.
    Yes, I know the Star has a minuscule readership, but it's still there, and, when (if) it's readers vote, the idea of being led by a clown might not appeal. To most anyway.
    I also note that the once unqualified support for the Tories from the Mail's headline writers seems to be evaporating.

Yes, it’s becoming a big problem when they don’t want to mention that the UK is leading the G20 and EU27 on vaccines per capita, because sniping at the government over trivia sells more papers.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Completely OT. Anyone who has seen 'The Serpent' might be interested in this shortish review. So many astute observations but each one leading to a wrong conclusion (in my less than humble opinion)

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/the-serpent-the-bbc-s-big-new-year-drama-has-lost-its-way-1.4455404
  • algarkirk said:

How could anyone sustain an instant and 24 hour news cycle without faux outrage? I don't think it can be done. Even with all the faux surveys and faux awareness raisers and faux experts and faux pundits, faux lobby groups and faux policy wonks and faux celebrity stories there is still a huge gap for faux outrage to fill.

And if you need faux outrage to fill the space in this week of great stories, when won't you?

Frankly I'm disgusted by your comment
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Keir Starmer will have to resign after May’s local elections because he will severely underperform what Ed Miliband achieved on Derbyshire county council in 2013 when Labour when 43 out of 65 then. Labour will be lucky to make gain decent gains in High Peak and Belper and not lose any seats especially in NE Derbyshire which bigjohnowls will attest to.

Good chance the elections may not happen (again). Only about 7 or 8 weeks till nomination papers need to be in etc. not sure I agree but a good chance of a postponement in my opinion.
    The mood music is going that way. They've floated the idea and few seem that bothered even if theyd prefer to go ahead.

If covid is still preventing elections they really need to extend legal virtual meetings for LAs too.

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Then we are down the rabbit hole of what about skateboards, what about....etc etc etc.

You just can't legislate or provide guidance for every possible situation in life.
    But you can expect clear and consistent messaging from those at the top.
  • In all this 'chaff' about rule making/keeping/breaking one thing stands out. Every morning I have a look at the BBC's 'The Papers' and once upon a time the Star had a nonsense headline just about every day. Now it's relentlessly mocking the PM.

Mail under Remain supporting editor have been one of the most critical of the government covid handling. Even Monday, when basically every other paper had fairly good headline for government over vaccine roll out, they had Betrayal.....care home residents not been vaccinated quickly enough.
  • Mary_BattyMary_Batty Posts: 630
    edited January 2021
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.
    There are, in fact, 11. Those who understand binary, those who don't at all, and those who don't really understand it properly but do enough to get this joke.
    That's the thing with binary, it's really not black and white.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,608

Earlier this morning, Commissioner Dick: it is "preposterous" to think public don't understand the rules.

So, which is it?

If you walk down the road, where I am am, walking about 30 cm apart*, mask off, having a conversation, is standard behaviour.

If in large groups, pavement ploughing** is mandatory

*Just far enough apart that it looks a little bit forced.
    **My term for a group walking in a line together, using the entire width of the pavement - no matter how wide. I have seen them using up a 10m pavement like this.

Scott_xP said:
    Of course the problem is it depends where you live....some places you can't run on the roads as too busy , so you need to find a park, in a city thar might be a few miles. others only fields which very boggy this time of year and no sidewalks, so a park might be 10+ miles. Some people live in a sweat spot where they have options.

Not sure I would fancy living in a sweat spot.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

tlg86 said:

Yep, it's not like taking your mask off & talking to some old biddies for a few seconds at a funeral which should be a resigning matter, I read.
    She broke the rules. Boris didn't...
    Scott_xP said:

Your persistence makes it seem like he should never leave the house at all. 7m is not that much, find another thing to criticise, there must be plenty to choose from.
  • Scott_xP said:

Not sure I would fancy living in a sweat spot.
    That's my pain cave after an hour on a Bike-ERG.

Mail under Remain supporting editor have been one of the most critical of the government covid handling. Even Monday, when basically every other paper had fairly good headline for government over vaccine roll out, they had Betrayal.....care home residents not been vaccinated quickly enough.
    Mail will come home in time for the election, don't worry.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

A jobsworth's response........
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Most bike rides of an hour will be more than 5 miles. Is that too complicated for this government to understand?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,252
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Your persistence makes it seem like he should never leave the house at all. 7m is not that much, find another thing to criticise, there must be plenty to choose from.
    I have a whole list of criticisms of Johnson, happy to share if anyone is struggling :wink:

But I'll not criticise him for this or - so far, at least - for the UK vaccine procurement (well done) and delivery (seems to be fairly good so far)
  • F1: Australian & Chinese Grands Prix postponed because of coronavirus restrictions - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55625606
  • Sandpit said:

Yes, it’s becoming a big problem when they don’t want to mention that the UK is leading the G20 and EU27 on vaccines per capita, because sniping at the government over trivia sells more papers.
    It's not becoming a big problem. That's what the papers have always done, regardless of the hue of the government in power. Their job, after all, is to sell papers. They are businesses, not national information services.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Roger said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

A jobsworth's response........
    She also made quite a big deal about Cummings...
    Sandpit said:

Our vaccine programme is undoubtedly a success, (although as I'm still waiting, without a date, I'm a bit narked) and it's probably unkind to say our only success, but we also have a very hospitalisation and death rate.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,608

algarkirk said:

How could anyone sustain an instant and 24 hour news cycle without faux outrage? I don't think it can be done. Even with all the faux surveys and faux awareness raisers and faux experts and faux pundits, faux lobby groups and faux policy wonks and faux celebrity stories there is still a huge gap for faux outrage to fill.

Frankly I'm disgusted by your comment
    I am outraged by your disgust at his outrage. Or is that faux outrage at you disgust at his faux outrage. Or....

Is there enough anger in this to make a news story? Outrage! On! P!B!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited January 2021
    deleted
  • FFS, this media bollocks over Boris bike trip, the antilockdown park bench stunt...they are back to the bullshitty of the first lockdown, constantly looking for inconsistencies in the rules. Unless the government were to write 100000s of pages, they can't cover every aspect of our lives. The only other alternative is in your house, you can't come out, end of.

It doesn't matter what the rules or guidance is, every interaction has the potential to continue the chain if transmission, so only interact with other people of you absolutely need to.

This media looking for an easy "win" is costing lives. It really f##ks me off. They should be doing this best to use their megaphone to project Whitty statement, instead of themselves sowing confusion.

The message from both Whitty and the PM - Stay Home - is lost because the PM goes off on his bike. London has great public parks, including the vast Hyde Park a stones throw from Downing Street. Riding his bike locally would be in line with their message. Going to the other side of London is not.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,335
    Stocky said:

I'm 60 in 12 days, and I still consider myself in my early 50s.
    :smiley:
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

It's mad that we are not doing a trial comparing the single and double dose approach.
    Genuinely a decision that could save hundreds of thousands of lives.
    We prolly are, but time is not on our side. Like buying a baby tortoise to see if it's true that they live to 140.

So, which is it?

Clarifying local would be even worse, since already today some here are suggesting it means different things in different places so it needs defining differently. It really is another example where the government simply cannot provide every detail or provide for every eventuality.

Let's all just jog on the spot outside our front doors.
    IshmaelZ said:

I think I am undergoing the most boring episode of weather in all British history. Temperature to remain at 9° (no nocturnal variation) for the next 49 hours, with rain and a westerly.
    I remember (admittedly good few years back) when Glasgow went 50 days without registering a single hour of sunshine. That might have you beat....

(Especially as it still hasn't seen the sun! 😉)
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

In Ireland there is a clear simple rule - exercise within 5km of home. There are even a couple of parks within 5km of Johnson's town house.

The simple rule in Ireland hasn't stopped them from having a worse infection rate, though. I'd rather the media were putting time and attention into the issue of schools - are the numbers at school still high enough to be a large source of virus spread? - and doubtless other more important issues I haven't heard about.

Even covering the vaccination progress as good news would be worthwhile. It would give people hope that a modest period of self-restraint would be a step towards ending this thing.

The problem with a "simple" rule like that is it would mean many people having to exercise where it is busy. Or dangerous due to traffic and/or a dodgy area at night. Also, as exercise is for mental health rather than just physical, there is some need for people to get some variety. The once a day thing is annoying me as it means I can't go for a walk at lunchtime as well as a run in the evening but I will stick to it.
    I'm not particularly an advocate for this rule, but I disagree with your arguments against it.

Firstly, you can go a surprisingly long unique distance within a small radius. I was in Ireland during the first lockdown, when the limit was initially 2km, but I was able to do several different long loops within that limit, even though in a rural area.

Secondly, a distance limit prevents everyone from a large catchment area all going to the same popular outside areas, so it should spread out people exercising more effectively. And, if people are starting at home, the amount of traffic should be very low.

Our Tokyo correspondent is right though. The virus spreads inside when infectious people mix with others. Clarity on rules should also involve concentrating on those that make a difference.

Indoor religious services and schools with too many children still attending will be far more important for spread than exercise outdoors.
    kle4 said:

So, which is it?

Clarifying local would be even worse, since already today some here are suggesting it means different things in different places so it needs defining differently. It really is another example where the government simply cannot provide every detail or provide for every eventuality.

But then, shared entrances in blocks of flats are going to cause issues over "front door".....
  • Stocky said:

Happy birthday.
    I have to point out, though, that when you hit 60 you are then firmly in your mid 50s.

F1: Australian & Chinese Grands Prix postponed because of coronavirus restrictions - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55625606

Australian, I believe, at least tentatively pencilled in for end of the season. Not sure about China.

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

LOL.

Here speaks the keep it simple man.

"CYCLIST IN ARRESTED FOR HAVING A PEE BEHIND A TREE SHOCKER"

FFS, this media bollocks over Boris bike trip, the antilockdown park bench stunt...they are back to the bullshitty of the first lockdown, constantly looking for inconsistencies in the rules. Unless the government were to write 100000s of pages, they can't cover every aspect of our lives. The only other alternative is in your house, you can't come out, end of.

This media looking for an easy "win" is costing lives. It really f##ks me off. They should be doing this best to use their megaphone to project Whitty statement, instead of themselves sowing confusion.

Agreed. Theres holding people to account and then theres muddying the waters
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Even that wasnt remotely resignation worthy.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

But what about unicycles Nick...what about Penny Farthings...what about pogo sticks.... eh,....eh?
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

The angriest I ever seen Mrs DA was when I got my laptop out at Brussels airport and announced I was going to change the boost map on our hired BMW via the ODB2 port before we drove to the hotel.
    I can understand it - the last time I did that it took hours..
  • TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

LOL.

I'm trying to work out whether a man could have a pee without getting off his bike, and it's hurting my brain.
  • Sandpit said:

Our vaccine programme is undoubtedly a success, (although as I'm still waiting, without a date, I'm a bit narked) and it's probably unkind to say our only success, but we also have a very hospitalisation and death rate.
    Yes, the vaccine program has, so far, been a success due both to the government's foresight in procuring sufficient vaccine and the ability of the NHS to deliver the vaccines. Otherwise, though, the government's handling of the pandemic has been little short of disastrous, resulting in one of the highest death rates in the world. We can only hope that the rapid roll out of the vaccines is sufficient to make up for the government's abysmal earlier performance.

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

LOL.

I'm trying to work out whether a man could have a pee without getting off his bike, and it's hurting my brain.
    @Dura_Ace ?
  • fox327fox327 Posts: 363
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I think the vaccination campaign will be a marathon not a sprint. In the next few months, the situation will certainly improve. However, no similar vaccination campaign, to stop a pandemic in full flood, has ever been carried out or succeeded. We are still in unchartered territory.
    edited January 2021

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

What about walking? We sometimes go on 10 or 15 mile walks. Are they okay, This is getting silly.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    I think the main problems we have are:
    1) People not self isolating when they should
    2) People going to work who are not really in essential jobs

My mate has been pressured to come into the office even though she does a job that is unequivocally doable from home. Some managers just living in the last century.

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

LOL.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4414650/tour-of-britain-cyclist-wee-fans-lincolnshire/
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    King Cole, yeah, it's made the back end of the season rather more frenetic in terms of travel.

kle4 said:

So, which is it?

But then, shared entrances in blocks of flats are going to cause issues over "front door".....
    They dont get to go outside, just outside their flat door. If that doesn't work, no outside at all.

Its all preposterous.
    edited January 2021
    Oh hang on... good news for cyclists:

"You can cycle up to 70 miles from home and sit on a bench: Kit Malthouse says long bike trips are allowed as he accuses public of seeking 'scotch egg-style' loopholes as Cressida Dick vows crackdown despite forces warning they don't have enough officers"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9137419/Kit-Malthouse-claims-cycle-70-MILES-home.html
    fox327 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I think the vaccination campaign will be a marathon not a sprint. In the next few months, the situation will certainly improve. However, no similar vaccination campaign, to stop a pandemic in full flood, has ever been carried out or succeeded. We are still in unchartered territory.
    We are in uncharted, or better unmapped, territory. Territory nobody has drawn a diagram of, not territory which nobody has hired.

Sorry.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545

Another example of ascribing motivation to the Remain/Leave divide where there is no obvious reason to do so.

The Mail's stance on Covid is much more likely to be motivated by the fact that everyone, even Mail Tory loyalists, can see that Johnson's performance has been dire, perhaps the worst of any world leader aside from Trump. Remain/leave has nothing to do with it.

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

LOL.

I think it goes something like W = s({maw/d}/l).

Where
    W = likelihood of getting wet
    s = speed
    m = mass
    a = acceleration
    w = wind direction
    d = direction of travel
    l = ahem, length
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777

Stocky said:

I'm a day older than you. We are "The Tiswas" generation. Where were you born and will you be celebrating your birthday? if so, how? :)

Sandpit said:

It's not becoming a big problem. That's what the papers have always done, regardless of the hue of the government in power. Their job, after all, is to sell papers. They are businesses, not national information services.
    Of course, but for the last year they’ve utterly failed to understand that their actions have been costing lives. They need, in times of pandemic, to be much more of a public information service than has been the case. The subject of this thread being a case in point.
  • IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

LOL.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4414650/tour-of-britain-cyclist-wee-fans-lincolnshire/
    Christ.
    I had meant without getting it everywhere, but fair play, question answered.
    Mind bleach needed now.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,252
    edited January 2021

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

LOL.

Deleted (I see @IanB2 has the same dubious knowledge I have)
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

In Ireland there is a clear simple rule - exercise within 5km of home. There are even a couple of parks within 5km of Johnson's town house.

The simple rule in Ireland hasn't stopped them from having a worse infection rate, though. I'd rather the media were putting time and attention into the issue of schools - are the numbers at school still high enough to be a large source of virus spread? - and doubtless other more important issues I haven't heard about.

Even covering the vaccination progress as good news would be worthwhile. It would give people hope that a modest period of self-restraint would be a step towards ending this thing.

The problem with a "simple" rule like that is it would mean many people having to exercise where it is busy. Or dangerous due to traffic and/or a dodgy area at night. Also, as exercise is for mental health rather than just physical, there is some need for people to get some variety. The once a day thing is annoying me as it means I can't go for a walk at lunchtime as well as a run in the evening but I will stick to it.
    Scotland allows travel for exercise up to five miles outside the council area, as long as the exercise starts and stops where you went and that exercise is all you do. Basically so that people in the cities can get out into the surrounding hills.

It's obviously meant for going in a car, but they don't want to openly discriminate against people without, so I suppose you could also go by public transport. That does not seem a good idea though.
  • FFS, this media bollocks over Boris bike trip, the antilockdown park bench stunt...they are back to the bullshitty of the first lockdown, constantly looking for inconsistencies in the rules. Unless the government were to write 100000s of pages, they can't cover every aspect of our lives. The only other alternative is in your house, you can't come out, end of.

But that's what the media do, and we know it - it isn't going to change.

There's no intrinsic problem with BJ going on a bike ride, but it's pretty poor politics for this to come out on the same day that the CMO is shouting that we must stay at home and only leave if absolutely essential because the health service is in crisis and thousands of people are dying. It doesn't look to me as if BJ travelling across London for his exercise was 'absolutely essential'. Politically and in respect of health messaging, it's at best clumsy.
    Why isn't exercise 'absolutely essential'?

Obesity kills. Obesity is bad for the pandemic. The PM has mentioned already his struggles with his weight and advised taking exercise, cycling in particular he has spoken about as his favourite exercise.

So where is the hypocrisy? I don't know if the weather's different in London than it is here because quite frankly exercising outdoors at the minute seems horrid to me, but it is specifically something that is legally permitted and classed as essential under the law.
    Worth pointing out that the London Borough of Newham, where the Olympic Park is located, has recorded more Covid cases than anywhere else in London, had the highest mortality rate from Covid in the first wave of anywhere in the UK, and is currently recording the second highest rate of new infections of anywhere in London, while London itself is facing an unprecedented medical emergency. Newham is also, not coincidentally, one of the most deprived areas of London. There are plenty of parks and cycle paths in Westminster, K&C etc for Johnson to cycle in. It pains me to say it, but I think OGH is wrong on this.
This discussion has been closed.