Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Predictions for 2021 from the man who tipped Sunak as next PM at 200/1 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    CatMan said:

Well I do hope that the final consignment of Good Brie makes it through before the razor wire goes up at Dover.

No worries, Somerset Brie is just as good.

I had Somerset Brie for the first time this week. It's the most tasteless cheese I have ever eaten outside Norway. No objection to Cheddar from Somerset however...
  • Options
    What's all this loose talk about Happy New Year!?!?

On this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) still mired in the foul swamp we call 2020 . . .
  • Options
    Live on Quest TV now: all new "Border Control: Europe".

Rather fitting...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    IshmaelZ said:

CatMan said:

Well I do hope that the final consignment of Good Brie makes it through before the razor wire goes up at Dover.

Course it is, you'd expect no less from a proper French cheese company

https://twitter.com/sTeamTraen/status/1339958036975263745
    Again, I refer you to Baron Bigod. Made by Brits. In Britain. And probably the best Brie in the world. Yes, they borrowed French cows, but they eat British grass. And they ain't going anywhere

https://www.thecheesesociety.co.uk/product/baron-bigod-cheese/
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    IshmaelZ said:

CatMan said:

Bloody hell, I'm a super duper Remainer (Rejoiner?), but I didn't realise that :o Well at least I can console myself that English Beer is better than the French stuff B)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    Jonathan said:

May the form filling commence. A new era of red tape has begun.

Nothing so beautiful as bureacracy, the hallmark of true civilization. Brings a tear to the eye.
  • Options

My avatar was created 4 years, 6 months and 9 days ago. How time flies.

I feel like I've aged at least twice that.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    FF43 said:

CatMan said:

I had Somerset Brie for the first time this week. It's the most tasteless cheese I have ever eaten outside Norway. No objection to Cheddar from Somerset however...
    I have terrible taste buds, so I'll have to take your word on that.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Happy New Year to everyone.

Unfortunately I have a feeling it still wont be "a fantastic year for Britain" although hopefully by this time next year we will be over the worst of Covid

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1212679425629859840

"This is going to be a fantastic year for Britain."

As clear a warning as you are ever gonna get!
    Perhaps he's going to leave and join his father in France.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,232
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good evening PB.

Everyone enjoying their final 30 minutes as members of the European Union? :D

The fightback starts...in 26 minutes!
    We may rejoin... In 2060 :D
    Too late for me.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Still at least as they will have to join the euro we will not have to argue about them using the pound
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    edited December 2020

What's all this loose talk about Happy New Year!?!?

On this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) still mired in the foul swamp we call 2020 . . .

We're still in 2020. Just out of the EU. ( I know we've been out since 1.1.2020 but there's nothing better than exiting again).

• Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good evening PB.

Too late for me.
    We will never rejoin in the lifetime of anyone on here. It will be politically impossible for two generations.

And by then we will all be cyborgs eating meat-lichen made in Chinese labs on Venus, so hey ho
  • Options
    CatMan said:

No, it really isn't. Aside from Stilton, no British cheese can hold its own against the French.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Crumbs. I'm so free I can't speak.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

CatMan said:

Again, I refer you to Baron Bigod. Made by Brits. In Britain. And probably the best Brie in the world. Yes, they borrowed French cows, but they eat British grass. And they ain't going anywhere

Some Bigoded woman who says she's voted Labour Leave all her life...
  • Options
    The only way 'Scotland will be back soon' is if someone goes to Europe on holiday from Scotland.

Scotland will continue to follow UK law on international matters for the next 200 years as it has for the last 200.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Still at least as they will have to join the euro we will not have to argue about them using the pound
    Weird the SNP didn't put up that light show in 2014? Oh, wait, that's because a YES vote in 2014 meant automatic expulsion from the EU and Scexit. Funny that Nicola never mentions that.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

CatMan said:

No, it really isn't. Aside from Stilton, no British cheese can hold its own against the French.
    What utter nonsense
  • Options
    Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Not even Wensleydale?
  • Options
    Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Continentals can't make a decent cheddar.

• Options
    I think I've been on PB eight years.

Is there anything stills standing from 2012 politics?

I think Michael Gove is the only one still in government (...although shout out to Ed Davey, who is, at least, still at the top of LD politics).
  • Options
    Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Dem's fightin' words. The year to begin as it means to go on - with a war about cheese.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good evening PB.

Too late for me.
    We will never rejoin in the lifetime of anyone on here. It will be politically impossible for two generations.

And by then we will all be cyborgs eating meat-lichen made in Chinese labs on Venus, so hey ho
    So about 4 years in Nit generations then?
  • Options

I think rank hypocrisy and absurd hyperbole is still going strong.

Other than that, blimey, is Gove the survivor? What's his secret I wonder.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Why would they want to?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Floater said:

To say they'll be "back soon" is the same lies the leave camp utilised. Like they'll waltz in or something
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Not even Wensleydale?
    Actually, you might have a point there
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Floater said:

To say they'll be "back soon" is the same lies the leave camp utilised. Like they'll waltz in or something
    One thing they do a lot is imply the whole process will be very easy. Of course, we know that approach works. The honest ones will at least acknowledge it will likely be bitter as hell and involve some tough choices, but that it will be worth it.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Why would they want to?
    The most disgusting cheese I've ever encountered is a German cheddar purchased in a Finnish supermarket.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IshmaelZ said:

CatMan said:

French cheese-eating surrender monkeys.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Dem's fightin' words. The year to begin as it means to go on - with a war about cheese.
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give Edam!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    geoffw said:

Fenman said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Why would they want to?
    The most disgusting cheese I've ever encountered is a German cheddar purchased in a Finnish supermarket.
    Not had American aerosol cheese then...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Why would they want to?
    Oh yeah, forgot about that urrgh

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

CatMan said:

Some Bigoded woman who says she's voted Labour Leave all her life...
    Loath though I tend to be to confirm Leon’s frequently odd opinions, it is actually a very good cheese indeed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cameron, Clegg, Hague, Alexander (D), Osborne, Hammond, Clarke, Huhne, Cable, Lansley, Pickles, Greening, Spelman, Moore, McLoughlin, Grieve - No longer MPs
    May, IDS, Mitchell, Paterson, Miller, Villiers, Clark - peripheral
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

It's complete crap. Cheese is like wine. Great cheese is now being made all over the world. Like wine. Anyone who says Burgundy or Bordeaux wine is THE best in the world is just showing cringing age and/or ignorance.

It is ridic. It's as bad as Boris basically saying our test and trace system will be world-beating "just because we are British".

Embarrassing.

Great cheeses are made worldwide, these days, From goat milk cheese in Oz (try Holy Goat) to Italian style cheese in Argentina

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/dining/provoleta-argentina-bubbling-cheese.html

Britain (and Ireland) is at the forefront of this lactic revolution. Small artisanal producers in the UK are now making some of the best cheeses on the planet. And I speak as a good friend of a senior Judge at the World Cheese awards. No kidding.

• Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Why would they want to?

That's your brain's defence mechanism at work.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Why would they want to?

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder type flashback?
  • Options
    Who’d have thunk seant mark XXIII would have been a boorish, triumphalist, nationalist needle dick?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Is it a certainty that the SNP win a majority? One of the best tips I've seen on here was from Alastair Meeks in 2016 tipping "no majority" @ 10-1. There wasn't much difference in the SNP votes compared with 2011, but they just fell in a less efficient way. Presumably SNP are expected to clean up in the constituency part, but doesn't that hurt them in the regional vote?
  • Options
    I think we can all, Remainers and Leavers alike, agree that the worst cheese in the world is made by the Americans.
  • Options
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

It's complete crap. Cheese is like wine. Great cheese is now being made all over the world. Like wine. Anyone who says Burgundy or Bordeaux wine is THE best in the world is just showing cringing age and/or ignorance.

It is ridic. It's as bad as Boris basically saying our test and trace system will be world-beating "just because we are British".

Embarrassing.

Great cheeses are made worldwide, these days, From goat milk cheese in Oz (try Holy Goat) to Italian style cheese in Argentina

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/dining/provoleta-argentina-bubbling-cheese.html

Britain (and Ireland) is at the forefront of this lactic revolution. Small artisanal producers in the UK are now making some of the best cheeses on the planet. And I speak as a good friend of a senior Judge at the World Cheese awards. No kidding.

The cheese shop along Ticklemore in Totnes is quite superb - all from Cornwall to Somerset.
  • Options
    The term "Remainer" can now be buried 6 feet under.....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    Best wishes to all for 2021.
    I am off to bed.

(& thanks to Philip for the header.)
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cameron, Clegg, Hague, Alexander (D), Osborne, Hammond, Clarke, Huhne, Cable, Lansley, Pickles, Greening, Spelman, Moore, McLoughlin, Grieve - No longer MPs
    Let's not forget Anna Soubry, Dr Sarah Wollaston. Oh, alright, lets....
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Nah. No battle is ever over.

Leavers now have to deliver sunlit uplands rather than a crock of shit. I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

You mean no-one will want to remain out in the cold?
  • Options
    Mrs Foxy in bed, Foxjr2 on a Zoom party, so there is only one song to see the New Year in with:

https://youtu.be/FG1NrQYXjLU
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nah. No battle is ever over.

Leavers now have to deliver sunli uplands rather than a crock of shit. I won't hold my breath.
    "Remainers" became "Rejoiners"....with all that entails
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    This has reminded me to open my cheese and biscuits hamper for supper.

Blue Stilton I think.

Not made in Stilton :smile:
  • Options
    30 secs
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Fenman said:

dixiedean said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Not even Wensleydale?
    Actually, you might have a point there
    My taste is unapologetically a good aged Red Leicester. I rate one I had from the Sainsbury's counter (RIP) 10 years or so ago not just as the best cheese, but as the best foodstuff I've ever eaten. Then the usual thing happened and it wasn't a patch the next year, despite being same supplier. I bow to no one, even if you point out the PDO application had artificial colouring as an essential element.

Just today had the Snowdonia Cheese Company version which is the best since. I was an origin snob here, and didn't believe anything else could taste quite like a Belvoir cheese. (aiui, the good Red Leicesters are often the main sideline in a Stilton creamery).
  • Options
    Bong
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979
    IshmaelZ said:

Bong

Bong
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    People setting off fireworks. They obviously didn't realise that the transition ended at 23:00...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Let's not forget Anna Soubry, Dr Sarah Wollaston. Oh, alright, lets....
    For auld lang syne.

• Options
    Happy New Year.

Good riddance to the old one.
  • Options
    2020 was the worst year of my lifetime
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

People setting off fireworks. They obviously didn't realise that the transition ended at 23:00...

More fireworks here tonight than for either Guy Fawkes or Diwali.
  • Options

Who’d have thunk seant mark XXIII would have been a boorish, triumphalist, nationalist needle dick?

I am confused. Someone seems to have offended you. I know tiny-penised Scotsmen, like yourself, are prone to grievance, but I do not see this odious person to whom you are referring. Perhaps you can elucidate.
  • Options

2021 should be better. I hope it is for you and everyone.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

geoffw said:

Fenman said:

CatMan said:

Why would they want to?
    An acquired taste . . . best not acquired . . .
  • Options

2021 should be better. I hope it is for you and everyone.
    Touch wood.
  • Options
    Happy New Year. We go again. Again.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Fireworks going off in rural Devon too. Rare event.....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

An outlier?

• Options
    Leon said:

I am confused. Someone seems to have offended you. I know tiny-penised Scotsmen, like yourself, are prone to grievance, but I do not see this odious person to whom you are referring. Perhaps you can elucidate.
    First fish of 2021. A bit scrawny and etiolated, but good to get a early one in.
  • Options

For me, the same.

Weirdly, 2020 also contained some of the happiest moments of my life - true and tranquil contentment, during sunny Lockdown 1 - but they are heavily outweighed by the woes. And the debts, deaths, divorces and depressions I have witnessed at close hand, and further afield.

Fuck off, 2020. Hello, 2021. Please just be mediocre. That will do us fine
  • Options

I think we can all, Remainers and Leavers alike, agree that the worst cheese in the world is made by the Americans.

Yes.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Happy New Year!

Thoughts to all those breathing hard right now.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    To think, the majority of the generations in human history will have encountered a plague year at some point and went about it in many of the same ways, and yet so little real practical awareness or expectation passed to us. For sure, I will tell the grandkids one time.

2021: I am more optimistic than many about the near term of COVID, it will be bad for hospitals in places, but term has ended, Christmas has been unnaturally quiet for most, the tide is turning in the SE, and I think will stay turned.

On the other hand I think Brexit deal optimism has over-vompensated and it will be, near term, more of a ballache than many think.

Anyhow, Happy New Year and stay safe all.
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone.
    Am I the only one who thinks 2020 hasn't been all bad?
    And the one who doesn't like cheese either?
  • Options
    SO would PBers consider Wisconsin as one of the great cheese regions of the world?

Note that Wisconsinites glory in the moniker "Cheesehead" and are frequently spotted at athletic events wearing faux wedges of (Wisconsin) Swiss cheese.
  • Options

Leon said:

First fish of 2021. A bit scrawny and etiolated, but good to get a early one in.
    Your first post of the new year is entirely incomprehensible. You can only improve!

Happy New Year, TUD. xx
  • Options
    geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

An outlier?

Prolly just some of the local lads, removing tree stumps with a bit of home-made mixture.....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

There actually were quite a few round my way around 2300. I assume it was a coincidence, but you never know.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

There actually were quite a few round my way around 2300. I assume it was a coincidence, but you never know.
    Likewise here. 11pm was big bang.
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Your first post of the new year is entirely incomprehensible. You can only improve!

Happy New Year, TUD. xx
    Happy New Year..er..Leon.
  • Options

SO would PBers consider Wisconsin as one of the great cheese regions of the world?

Note that Wisconsinites glory in the moniker "Cheesehead" and are frequently spotted at athletic events wearing faux wedges of (Wisconsin) Swiss cheese.

First question: No

Explanation: because you cannot find it. In 2019 I did a big trip around the Deep South and it was almost impossible to find even average cheese, let alone great cheese.

I remember walking into a Walmart in Mississippi - an absolutely enormous store, where you had an entire aisle devoted to different calibre rifles - and there was about an acre devoted to cheese.

OK, I thought, most of it will be cheap industrial crap, I expect that, but, given the size of the dairy aisles, there will be a speciality zone with some nice stuff. Handcrafted American roquefort from Oregon, etc

It was ALL Jack cheese. Monterey Jack Cheese. Spiralled Jack Cheese. American Cheddar jack cheese made into letters. About half of one aisle was American jack cheese themed on Disney movies.

Jesus Christ. Sort out your cheese.
  • Options
    MundoMundo Posts: 30

tlg86 said:

Plenty of fireworks in south Dartmoor here
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Happy New Year everyone.

Burn him!!!

Melt some Monterey Jack on him at the same time....
  • Options
    Happy New Year!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    No fireworks in Barnes at 23:00.
    At midnight it was like World War 1.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    edited January 2021
    I love the smell of B&H, solitary male sweat and Tescos Shiraz, it smells...like victory.

https://twitter.com/naebd/status/1344803743368409093?s=21
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

No fireworks in Barnes at 23:00.
    At midnight it was like World War 1.

Nothing near me until the little hound started barking at midnight.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Happy New Year everyone.

A mulberry tree I planted in 2004 fruited for the first time, was the only good bit I noticed.

Cheese i can take or leave.
  • Options

I love the smell of B&H, solitary male sweat and Tescos Shiraz, it smells...like victory.

Loving the size and stocking level of his bookshelf. Some scholarly shit there.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited January 2021

I prefer the Bob Monkhouse version:

They all laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they’re not laughing now.

• Options
    Leon said:

First question: No

Explanation: because you cannot find it. In 2019 I did a big trip around the Deep South and it was almost impossible to find even average cheese, let alone great cheese.

I remember walking into a Walmart in Mississippi - an absolutely enormous store, where you had an entire aisle devoted to different calibre rifles - and there was about an acre devoted to cheese.

OK, I thought, most of it will be cheap industrial crap, I expect that, but, given the size of the dairy aisles, there will be a speciality zone with some nice stuff. Handcrafted American roquefort from Oregon, etc

It was ALL Jack cheese. Monterey Jack Cheese. Spiralled Jack Cheese. American Cheddar jack cheese made into letters. About half of one aisle was American jack cheese themed on Disney movies.

Jesus Christ. Sort out your cheese.
    "A Traveler's Guide to America's Dairyland" by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc (2015); lists 169 creameries and other outlets for Wisconsin cheese.

From Alp and Dell Cheese Store in Monroe ("offers a wide selection of locally produced cheese and sausages as
    well as ice cream, candy, wines from around the world, locally brewed beers and cheese-related
    gifts"; to Zimmerman Cheese,Inc in South Wayne ("Four generations of cheese-making experience at work. Try our award-winning baby swiss,muenster and fresh muenster curds. Store carries a wide variety of cheeses." Gives addresses, phone numbers AND websites

http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/WisconsinCheeseMap.pdf
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I prefer the Bob Monkhouse version:

They all laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they’re not laughing now.
    Or the Terry Wogan to David Icke version: “They’re not laughing with you; they’re laughing at you.”
This discussion has been closed.