Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even today with the Electoral College meeting Betfair punters rate Trump’s chances at 3% – political

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,176

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

BBC news - London could go into tier three as early as today

The pubs in London aren't very busy today, which you'd think they would be if people thought the capital was about to be moved into Tier 3.
    I've just had a substantial meal in my pub for £1 plus two pints of bitter. The substantial meal was a beef and onion pie plus salad. I had a side dish of chunky chips. Very nice. I was there because I'd left my flat keys in the flat and was locked out and needed shelter from the rain.

The landlord was in despair awaiting the announcement on London Tier 3.

The pub wasn't very busy.
    In a year of stupidities from our policy makers and science advisors, the "substantial meal" issue must be in the top three of plain bonkers.

It’s a common and well-understood term thats appeared in licensing law for decades.

Just because the Lobby hacks and Kay Burley don’t know what it means, doesn’t mean that licencees don’t.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853

Funny how Londoners only care about Tier 3 now it's likely to affect them.

The North East in Tier 3? Who cares right?

How did you arrive at your first sentence?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Wot? No three day pre-Tier 3 lockdown party? Outrageous.
    Sounds like the authorities are learning then!
    Not much, if London's tier 3 lockdown start is 00.01 Wednesday.....
    But we have vaccines. And are rolling them out....
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823

Philip Thompson will be along momentarily to tell us why vaccines will save the day.

We have them now, apparently, and yet the lockdowns are getting worse not better.
    It's almost as if they have to physically arrive and be administered to lots of people before they work.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    IF you are a conservative who is incensed by the way the conservatives are behaving, Conhome stops you posting. They only want to hear a certain type of conservative, these days.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,023

The people in the North East?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    That is crazy. Who in the UK thinks there are parts of other countries that belong to us, and which parts? Ireland? Calais? Bonkers.
    If we get to pick, I’d go for Bordeaux.
    I have often thought we should swap Scotland for Flanders
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    Anyway. The people of Scotland can sleep easier. @HYUFD won't be rolling his tank divisions over the Essex border for a while.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Hello pb. Can anyone help me with this uni logic question? My niece is really struggling and says it’s desperate.

My philosophy logic is 30 years old and very rusty. All advice welcome

https://twitter.com/catullus88/status/1338473774157598720?s=21

The answer to 2a is no. P <--> Q is true if both P and Q are true or P and Q are false, otherwise false. However, if P is false and Q is true then P -> Q is true, which makes the whole thing true through the alternation operator. So the second allows a false P but a true Q; the first doesn't. I hope that's clear.
    I like 1 (b) - "using your favourite method".

My favourite method is to guess.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,199

HYUFD said:
    That is crazy. Who in the UK thinks there are parts of other countries that belong to us, and which parts? Ireland? Calais? Bonkers.
    Why? Are you a Great War enthusiast?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    'We' being..?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,603
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

Barnier said the prime minister’s acceptance of the need for a treaty-level mechanism to ensure fair competition as regulatory standards diverge over time had unlocked the talks. His comments came despite suggestions from Downing Street that a no-deal exit remains likely.

Smells like capitulation

Funny - I was reading yesterday that the EU has dropped the ratchet approach - have they capitulated too?
    Its called negotiation.
    The EU's movement consists of finding a different way to package the same thing in a way that makes it presentationally acceptable to the UK government. That's not the same as a concession on the substance.
    It’s neither. Both sides are actually moving. It’s a genuine compromise. I understand how this might upset remoaners who desire nothing but British defeat and surrender but what can you do. Yours is a pathology
    They can't bear the idea that the UK and EU are equals in anything, the EU must always be more powerful or better. That isn't the case and it never has been. One of the reasons we're in this position is Barnier actually believing that and it's taken UVdL sidelining him to unlock a deal.
    Tbf I think the EU - courtesy of Macron - took a maximalist position and refused to cave to the 11th hour, believing we would yield and they would win all. A fair enough position, given their relative strength.

As it happens Boris is a bit bonkers and refused to surrender, so the EU has budged, somewhat, to a stance they would probably have accepted anyway. It’s not a triumph for either side (if it happens) tho both sides will sell it thus. It’s a negotiated deal. Is all. But it’s enough. Let’s hope it works.
    I think our remainers encouraged that view, very much like Edward VIII writing to Hitler and telling him to continue bombing London because the British would eventually sue for peace.
    I don’t like to get personal but you should reread that and think about it. It is really quite offensive bollocks - the idea that the EU is like the Nazis and that people who think Britain should be in the EU are quisling traitors.

You seem quite incapable of understanding that people who do not share your view are not evil but just have a different opinion to you. You seem not to understand that there are people in Europe who have real memories of what it was like to live under Nazi rule (my elderly relatives for one) and who view with some contempt people from later generations living in a country which had the very good fortune not to be subject to such rule pathetically using incorrect historical analogies to make themselves look big and the other side look bad.

Grow up. You have the right to post bollocks on sites like this one because people like my father fought to keep this country and the rest of Europe free. He worked as a doctor in Belsen after it was liberated. He knew what Nazism was. The EU wanting to impose tariffs on a trading partner, even unilaterally, is so far away from Nazism as to be in the next galaxy.

If “Remainers” are not reconciled to the Brexit project it is because they see all too many Leavers spouting offensive, ignorant nonsense such as this. Wanting a different relationship with the EU is an honourable project. But this - the constant harking back to and misuse of WW2 to justify a Brexit which has been - let’s be kind - poorly handled, well it’s pathetic and deserves all the scorn and contempt I can lob at it.
    No, you just can't bear the idea that there are people in this country who seek to undermine it. The situation is obviously not the same and the EU clearly aren't the Nazi party. My point is that there have been people in the UK talking to the EU and encouraging them to take a more confrontational position rather than seek compromise as they have begun doing. There are people who have built up the myth that the UK will "capitulate" and that kind of thinking has led to the EU holding on to their no compromise position basically until a couple of weeks ago when they realised that they have been badly advised.

Just an FYI, my grandfather fought in the war and my great grandfather in the first world war. I mean no disrespect in drawing the comparison, it was a situation back then where bad advice from a traitor led to misery in the UK. I think even you can see that if you'd take a second and drop the faux outrage.

Anyway, more than anything else I want there to be a deal between the UK and EU that will hold together for more than a few months. It's starting to look like that will happen because the EU are compromising, if the likes of Barnier and co weren't told by "well informed" Brits that the UK would eventually fold either way we'd have reached this position much earlier and we wouldn't be days away from the disaster of no deal.
    You could just as well make the last sentence:
    It's starting to look like that will happen because the UK is compromising*, if the likes of Johnson and co weren't held hostage by their claims that the UK held all the cards and the EU would eventually fold either way we'd have reached this position much earlier and we wouldn't be days away from the disaster of no deal.

*Both sides are, of course, compromising to varying extents. That's negotiation. And it's good thing if it delivers a deal because that's in both sides interests, as a famous politician once said, no deal would be a failure of statecraft.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

Barnier said the prime minister’s acceptance of the need for a treaty-level mechanism to ensure fair competition as regulatory standards diverge over time had unlocked the talks. His comments came despite suggestions from Downing Street that a no-deal exit remains likely.

Smells like capitulation

Funny - I was reading yesterday that the EU has dropped the ratchet approach - have they capitulated too?
    Its called negotiation.
    The EU's movement consists of finding a different way to package the same thing in a way that makes it presentationally acceptable to the UK government. That's not the same as a concession on the substance.
    It’s neither. Both sides are actually moving. It’s a genuine compromise. I understand how this might upset remoaners who desire nothing but British defeat and surrender but what can you do. Yours is a pathology
    They can't bear the idea that the UK and EU are equals in anything, the EU must always be more powerful or better. That isn't the case and it never has been. One of the reasons we're in this position is Barnier actually believing that and it's taken UVdL sidelining him to unlock a deal.
    Tbf I think the EU - courtesy of Macron - took a maximalist position and refused to cave to the 11th hour, believing we would yield and they would win all. A fair enough position, given their relative strength.

As it happens Boris is a bit bonkers and refused to surrender, so the EU has budged, somewhat, to a stance they would probably have accepted anyway. It’s not a triumph for either side (if it happens) tho both sides will sell it thus. It’s a negotiated deal. Is all. But it’s enough. Let’s hope it works.
    I think our remainers encouraged that view, very much like Edward VIII writing to Hitler and telling him to continue bombing London because the British would eventually sue for peace.
    A close friend of mine spent a huge amount of time with Macron when he was at Rothschild. That’s his SOP - get close to a deal then make an unreasonable last minute demand. His logic is he gets some of what he wants because the other side is emotionally invested at that point
  • Options

LadyG said:

Hello pb. Can anyone help me with this uni logic question? My niece is really struggling and says it’s desperate.

The answer to 2a is no. P <--> Q is true if both P and Q are true or P and Q are false, otherwise false. However, if P is false and Q is true then P -> Q is true, which makes the whole thing true through the alternation operator. So the second allows a false P but a true Q; the first doesn't. I hope that's clear.
    My logic is 30 years old and rusty beyond belief, but I would have said P <--> Q means that P is equivalent to Q and vice versa. It seems to my old brain this is just a statement. P == Q
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    Can't believe splitting G Manchester into different boroughs in different Tiers is even being considered.
    Utter madness.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    How stupid would you feel today if you were a south east tory MP who voted for the government's policy after the last lockdown?

rhetoric.....yeh we'll look at this on a 'granular' basis for you...

Truth......sweeping draconian tier 3 blunt instrument with hundreds of thousands of jobs lost and no hope of reprieve.

How much more are these idiots going to take?

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Anyway. The people of Scotland can sleep easier. @HYUFD won't be rolling his tank divisions over the Essex border for a while.

The combined operations assault seems off the menu also, unless HYUFD is going to sacrifice Gib.

https://twitter.com/MaqboolButt5/status/1335968771501125632?s=20
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,342

HYUFD said:
    Remember 8% of people support anything.

I am however interested if the remainder actually have a particular piece of territory in mind, or a general belief that they are simply hard done by their neighbours.

I'll have a stab at it:
    Spain: Gibraltar (surprised it isn't higher)
    Italy: Vatican City? Corsica?
    France: Channel Islands? Monaco?
    UK: Channel Islands?
    The whole of the Balkans: obviously lots of options
    Sweden: Norway?
    Germany: surprised as many as 30% say this, even though there are several candidates.
    Netherlands: Antwerp? OK I give up.

You've also got think about how eg a SNP supporter would answer such a question
  • Options
    So, to summarise, Boris is still dithering over whether to accept the deal which was signalled in March.

No hurry, of course. There are still around 7 working days for businesses to plan, tariffs to be finalised, computer systems to be written, vets to be magicked out of thin air, and 50,000 customs agents hired and trained up. 10 days if they go the extra mile and work between Xmas and New Year.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,555

Looks like Tier 3 will come to London 0001 Wed.

Not confirmed

Multiple Circle Line pub crawls before chucking out time tomorrow it is then. Madness!
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

I am however interested if the remainder actually have a particular piece of territory in mind, or a general belief that they are simply hard done by their neighbours.

I'll have a stab at it:
    Germany: surprised as many as 30% say this, even though there are several candidates.

Very easily. The existing border, with an adjustment to the EEZ to the modern international standard.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

There won't be any tanks to roll anyway, given MoD current thinking. Unless they buy some 1/12 scale radio control kits and some glue.
  • Options

LadyG said:

My logic is 30 years old and rusty beyond belief, but I would have said P <--> Q means that P is equivalent to Q and vice versa. It seems to my old brain this is just a statement. P == Q
    I think it's just a change in the symbols.

P<-->Q, P==Q both meaning isomorphism, or a 1-1 correspondence - if one's true the other must be and vice versa.

Logic is just set theory, and the old-fashioned overlappling circles are the clearest way to see this.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

The Channel Isles?
    Maybe it's the bits of the UK that have been floating off to The Netherlands due to coastal erosion for decades. That genuinely annoys me. :lol:
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 86

Scott_xP said:
    IF you are a conservative who is incensed by the way the conservatives are behaving, Conhome stops you posting. They only want to hear a certain type of conservative, these days.
    I am sad to see the Tory party of today as it seems to me to have been taken over by a right wing extreme. It is no longer one party (maybe it never was) but the extreme right wing is in the ascendency and the moderates have been side lined.

It is an unfortunate part of our political system that it tends to drive our main parties to the extremes.

Personally I would like to see more representative voting, more parties and more transparent negotiations on priorities from parties seeking to form post election coalitions. That would, in my view, generate better politics with people feeling more engaged and listened to.

Unfortunately what we get at election times is negative campaigning where voters are frightened into voting against something and then feel cheated when they don't get what they thought they were voting for. Without wishing to be partisan, my current dislike of the Tories is driven by the fact that they are masters of it!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,058
    HYUFD said:
    To be fair, a lot of those claims look legit!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

I'll have a stab at it:

Netherlands - Flanders maybe?
  • Options

Looks like Tier 3 will come to London 0001 Wed.

Not confirmed

Multiple Circle Line pub crawls before chucking out time tomorrow it is then. Madness!
    Many businesses didn;t bother opening up after the last lockdown and some now never will,

I feel very sorry for those that did.

Honestly, why would you bother?
  • Options
    I've stuck BBC Parliament on waiting for the London lockdown announcement. Have just witnessed the absolute berk who defeated the previous absolute berk for NW Durham manage to mangle his whips softball question to the Bully Secretary about how Labour are friends of rapists.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Andy_JS said:

Interesting article in my opinion.

"How race politics liberated the elites
    If society is taken to be inherently oppressive, the notion of a common good disappears
    BY MATTHEW CRAWFORD"

https://unherd.com/2020/12/how-race-politics-liberated-the-elites/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3

In this country the notion of the common good was junked under Thatcher, who wasn't a notable racial justice warrior as far as I recall. The elites liberated themselves from the notion of the common good, led by their own greed. I suspect the main structural factor was the fading of memories of WW2, which had briefly imposed a sense of solidarity and common decency on the ruling classes. The timelines are completely out for the argument in this piece to have even a degree of plausibility.
    It was more of a coup with a new set of more self-focused individuals overthrowing the historical elites
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

I'll have a stab at it:

Greater Wales should include all the lands in which Brythonic languages were once spoken.

So that is, England, Wales, Scotland, as well as offshore islands such as the Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly, Orkney, Hebrides, Isle of Wight and Shetland.

And Brittany.

On the other hand, we are willing to give back Newport.
  • Options

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

I'll have a stab at it:

Greater Wales should include all the lands in which Brythonic languages were once spoken.

So that is, England, Wales, Scotland, as well as offshore islands such as the Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly, Orkney, Hebrides, Isle of Wight and Shetland.

And Brittany.

This probably triggers @HYUFD
  • Options
    o/t, completely o/t!

We had an eggs discussion the other day - I thought it was very eggifying :)

Others disapproved though, so I'm posting this with some trepidation.

What I'd like to ask is whether PBers have any wisdom in the arcane would of 'Steak and Kidney Pudding'?

It's the most wonderful dish, but I really can't manage it well (about 3/10)

I was thinking about trying to find a professional chef to show me (and I'd happily share) how it was done. Anyone any ideas?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

The pubs in London aren't very busy today, which you'd think they would be if people thought the capital was about to be moved into Tier 3.
    I've just had a substantial meal in my pub for £1 plus two pints of bitter. The substantial meal was a beef and onion pie plus salad. I had a side dish of chunky chips. Very nice. I was there because I'd left my flat keys in the flat and was locked out and needed shelter from the rain.

The landlord was in despair awaiting the announcement on London Tier 3.

The pub wasn't very busy.
    In a year of stupidities from our policy makers and science advisors, the "substantial meal" issue must be in the top three of plain bonkers.

It’s a common and well-understood term thats appeared in licensing law for decades.

Just because the Lobby hacks and Kay Burley don’t know what it means, doesn’t mean that licencees don’t.
    But it is not a term which appears in the regulations which currently govern what licencees can and cannot do. And for Ministers to use it is to mislead the public about what the law is. This has a very real harmful effect on those same licensees. So, yes, it was utter stupidity - both from a science perspective (you are not protected from Covid by eating) and from a legal perspective.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    IanB2 said:

CNN: All 50 states and the District of Columbia have certified their presidential results, according to CNN's tally, as the Electoral College process moves ahead today with the meeting of electors.

The electors are required by law to convene on the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December, which this year is Dec. 14. The electors' votes are later transmitted to officials and counted in a joint session of Congress on Jan. 6.

I'm forever disappointed they dont actually meet together in grand ceremony. Hopefully they have some fun with it in the individual states.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    edited December 2020

dixiedean said:

The combined operations assault seems off the menu also, unless HYUFD is going to sacrifice Gib.

We have 2 aircraft carriers, Spain only 1 and we have more submarines than they do.

We do not need tanks to deal with Scotland, legally Westminster is sovereign so any referendum without Westminster consent would be illegal.

Riot police and the military police can maintain order north of the border otherwise as the Spanish civil guard did in Catalonia if absolutely necessary.
  • Options

Philip Thompson will be along momentarily to tell us why vaccines will save the day.

We have them now, apparently, and yet the lockdowns are getting worse not better.
    Er, because most people wont get it for months?

I thought it an online parody that people would claim as soon as a vaccine was approved there would be no need for anything else.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

We have 2 aircraft carriers, Spain has zero and we have more submarines than they do.

We do not need tanks to deal with Scotland, legally Westminster is sovereign so any referendum without Westminster consent would be illegal.

Riot police and the military police can maintain order north of the border otherwise as the Spanish civil guard did in Catalonia if absolutely necessary.
    Why do you always bite?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

I'll have a stab at it:

And Brittany.

Just to clarify: Gwent or Shropshire?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    kle4 said:

I thought it an online parody that people would claim as soon as a vaccine was approved there would be no need for anything else.
    We can't protect the vulnerable for a few months to save our economy from further destruction?

when its that economy that is the sole generator of all of their care?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Given a lot of borders are arbitrary I don t find that hugely surprising, just a little.
  • Options
    An interesting Twitter thread on whether a UK-EU deal could be provisionally applied under GATT rules, even it's not ratified or even textually finalised in time:

Tl;dr Maybe

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1338494123372933121
  • Options

So, to summarise, Boris is still dithering over whether to accept the deal which was signalled in March.

No hurry, of course. There are still around 7 working days for businesses to plan, tariffs to be finalised, computer systems to be written, vets to be magicked out of thin air, and 50,000 customs agents hired and trained up. 10 days if they go the extra mile and work between Xmas and New Year.

And the irony is that the two biggest UK concessions- a sticky adminny border and not seeking anything on services- were tossed out totally casually. And with next to no preparation for the consequences.

Still, if being concerned about this is to undermine the UK, at least I know where I stand.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

Smells like capitulation

Its called negotiation.

A close friend of mine spent a huge amount of time with Macron when he was at Rothschild. That’s his SOP - get close to a deal then make an unreasonable last minute demand. His logic is he gets some of what he wants because the other side is emotionally invested at that point
    And then he came up against Boris, playing the same game.

But holding all the fish.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

o/t, completely o/t!

What I'd like to ask is whether PBers have any wisdom in the arcane would of 'Steak and Kidney Pudding'?

I was thinking about trying to find a professional chef to show me (and I'd happily share) how it was done. Anyone any ideas?

When I moved out of home/uni my mum gave me (rather a ong time ago now) an appropriate single volume Delia Smith Cookery Book (though I still liked the Penguin one and an old wartime/immediately ppstwar booklet which was obviously done in the rationing/food education era). I always found her recipes struck the right balance between edibility and simplicity. Indeed her book still lives on top of my fridge and i was using it the other day to boil up some gammon. This any good? Not tried it myself ..

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/books/delias-winter-collection/steak-and-kidney-pudding-with-steak-and-kidney-gravy
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Having a night life, with pubs, restaurants, boxing matches, etc is totally incompatible with keeping COVID cases down.

The government need to get out and cancel Christmas now....instead they are going to do an update on the 23rd...imagine how even more pissed people will be if they cancel it then.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Wot? No three day pre-Tier 3 lockdown party? Outrageous.
    Sounds like the authorities are learning then!
    Not much, if London's tier 3 lockdown start is 00.01 Wednesday.....
    First night out in weeks planned for Wednesday night bloody typical!
  • Options

kle4 said:

We can't protect the vulnerable for a few months to save our economy from further destruction?

The vulnerable includes millions of people. Itll tale a few months just to cover the vulnerable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    WOW Tory England is getting smashed to bits.

The gap between the rhetoric when the government wants power and what happens when they get it is pretty big.

Wonder how the MPs is these constituencies are feeling today
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Having a night life, with pubs, restaurants, boxing matches, etc is totally incompatible with keeping COVID cases down.

The government need to get out and cancel Christmas now....instead they are going to do an update on the 23rd...imagine how even more pissed people will be if they cancel it then.
    Put the tiers in place from 00.01 Wednesday. But close all the pubs in Tier 2 --> 3 areas from 6.00pm tonight. Ot it will be hugely counter-poductive.

People + booze = Covid's bessy mate.....
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927
    edited December 2020

I'm looking forward to Sean T's regeneration. Like Colin Baker this current version has gotten really nasty.

Don't they all, which is why he keeps changing his identity and treating everyone like idiots by claiming he's not SeanT.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The vulnerable includes millions of people. Itll tale a few months just to cover the vulnerable.
    If the vulnerable is millions then all the more reason not to destroy the productive bit. Which...er....pays for the vulnerable.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

We have 2 aircraft carriers, Spain has zero and we have more submarines than they do.

Why do you always bite?
    Because he takes it seriously?

I didn't even know the UK has any equivaslent of the Unidad de Intervención Policial.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The gap between the rhetoric when the government wants power and what happens when they get it is pretty big.

Tory England is getting smashed to bits - by Covid.

Laour England is even worse though.
  • Options
    OK so Lahndan and HYUFDistan going into Tier 3. Any chance of us poor northerners dropping to tier 2...?
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 86

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

Smells like capitulation

Its called negotiation.

I don’t like to get personal but you should reread that and think about it. It is really quite offensive bollocks - the idea that the EU is like the Nazis and that people who think Britain should be in the EU are quisling traitors.

You seem quite incapable of understanding that people who do not share your view are not evil but just have a different opinion to you. You seem not to understand that there are people in Europe who have real memories of what it was like to live under Nazi rule (my elderly relatives for one) and who view with some contempt people from later generations living in a country which had the very good fortune not to be subject to such rule pathetically using incorrect historical analogies to make themselves look big and the other side look bad.

Grow up. You have the right to post bollocks on sites like this one because people like my father fought to keep this country and the rest of Europe free. He worked as a doctor in Belsen after it was liberated. He knew what Nazism was. The EU wanting to impose tariffs on a trading partner, even unilaterally, is so far away from Nazism as to be in the next galaxy.

If “Remainers” are not reconciled to the Brexit project it is because they see all too many Leavers spouting offensive, ignorant nonsense such as this. Wanting a different relationship with the EU is an honourable project. But this - the constant harking back to and misuse of WW2 to justify a Brexit which has been - let’s be kind - poorly handled, well it’s pathetic and deserves all the scorn and contempt I can lob at it.
    No, you just can't bear the idea that there are people in this country who seek to undermine it. The situation is obviously not the same and the EU clearly aren't the Nazi party. My point is that there have been people in the UK talking to the EU and encouraging them to take a more confrontational position rather than seek compromise as they have begun doing. There are people who have built up the myth that the UK will "capitulate" and that kind of thinking has led to the EU holding on to their no compromise position basically until a couple of weeks ago when they realised that they have been badly advised.

Just an FYI, my grandfather fought in the war and my great grandfather in the first world war. I mean no disrespect in drawing the comparison, it was a situation back then where bad advice from a traitor led to misery in the UK. I think even you can see that if you'd take a second and drop the faux outrage.

Anyway, more than anything else I want there to be a deal between the UK and EU that will hold together for more than a few months. It's starting to look like that will happen because the EU are compromising, if the likes of Barnier and co weren't told by "well informed" Brits that the UK would eventually fold either way we'd have reached this position much earlier and we wouldn't be days away from the disaster of no deal.
    There is nothing fake about my outrage.

You have no basis for saying that the EU has been badly advised by Remainers here in the U.K. You know nothing about what has been going on or whether a deal has been reached or what it says. Wanting a deal with the EU or to remain in the EU does not amount to undermining Britain. What you cannot bear is that the Brexit project you support has been appallingly badly handled by those who promoted it. Rather than place the responsibility where it belongs, we have this constant meme about traitors and Remoaners and people undermining Britain and all the rest of it just because those who want Brexit cannot accept responsibility for what they have done and said and are doing.

The EU is not an enemy. The countries within it are not our enemies. The biggest “enemies” - if we have to use such language - of Britain and the chances of it succeeding in the course it has now embarked on are those who see and speak of Britain and its neighbours in such Manichaean terms.

Plus there's obvious fact that the EU is completely uninterested in what 'Remainers' (whoever they are: they seem to be as elusive as Corbyn's shadowy Jewish financiers) have to say. They are perfectly capable of reading English. They have experts who are perfectly knowledgeable about the state of readiness of the UK for a no-deal crash-out. They can see for themselves that the UK car industry will be completely kiboshed without a deal. They know - because they are the customers - that our fishing industry and lamb farmers are completely dependent on access to the Single Market. They can see the official figures showing that the Single Market is massively more important to the UK than the UK is to the Single Market. They can see perfectly well that the UK has no viable substitute suppliers outside the UK for most of the goods the EU provides, notably food.

In other words, they don't need anyone's help to see that the UK's threat of a self-harming no-deal is utterly bonkers. It's pretty damned obvious.
    Hear hear. Well put.
  • Options
    Uh Oh. New London Pox identified
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited December 2020
    The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Wales has risen by another 1,228 new cases, Public Health Wales (PHW) said in its latest update on Monday.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/coronavirus-infection-rates-cases-deaths-19453641

What is going on in Wales, has their testing system broken / excel spreadsheet had a buffer overflow? No cases reported yesterday and basically 2/3 the current average daily amount today. Either some miracle has occurred and covid has magically gone away or something isn't working right.
  • Options

Did you ever get over the Rochdale rash?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,985
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Given a lot of borders are arbitrary I don t find that hugely surprising, just a little.
    This is the last legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire - and the German Empire as well

Europe was a patchwork quilt of ethnicities.

When WWI ended, it was an impossible task to put all of ethnicity A in country A

There were pockets of very German Germans all the way across Ukraine, for example.

So "Greater X" movements formed - to take back the tertiaries involved.

Part of *WWII* was making a grab for these territories...

At the end of WII, there was a great deal of ethnic cleansing - populations were shoved into the "right" countries. And the borders fixed by the Allies. For evermore. In the name of ending war.

But the memories remain....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

HYUFD said:

Put the tiers in place from 00.01 Wednesday. But close all the pubs in Tier 2 --> 3 areas from 6.00pm tonight. Ot it will be hugely counter-poductive.

That would be why Sir Patrick Vallance said last Wednesday that there was “no specific data” that bars & pubs drove transmission of the virus.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It really isn;t, because it is largely young fit people giving a harmless and often symptomless bug to other young and fit people.

Those who do end up in hospital stand a far better chance of surviving that at the outset.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Why do you always bite?

I didn't even know the UK has any equivaslent of the Unidad de Intervención Policial.
    Most police forces in the UK are responsible to Boris and the Scottish military swears an oath of loyalty to the Queen not Sturgeon
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Arbitrary and recent. I am particularly surprised that a German would find this surprising. Perhaps she is virtue signalling a lack of interest in Alsatia and the Sudetenland.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

HYUFD said:

You're going to have to quote the paragraph in the Tory manifesto where they promised never to introduce any public health measures, even in a global pandemic.

How did that policy work out for Donald Trump as an electoral strategy? I can't quite tell.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

That would be why Sir Patrick Vallance said last Wednesday that there was “no specific data” that bars & pubs drove transmission of the virus.
    Johnson has sacrificed the young, the fit, the hospitality industry and the sports industry to the mighty god COVID.

But Raa is still angry, the high priests of SAGE say.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer spot on yet again.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,740
    edited December 2020

Worrying.

Will the vaccines still be effective?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

o/t, completely o/t!

When I moved out of home/uni my mum gave me (rather a ong time ago now) an appropriate single volume Delia Smith Cookery Book (though I still liked the Penguin one and an old wartime/immediately ppstwar booklet which was obviously done in the rationing/food education era). I always found her recipes struck the right balance between edibility and simplicity. Indeed her book still lives on top of my fridge and i was using it the other day to boil up some gammon. This any good? Not tried it myself ..

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/books/delias-winter-collection/steak-and-kidney-pudding-with-steak-and-kidney-gravy
    Completely good. I've tried to follow all sorts of recipes - I'm no cook though. There has to be so much more that you can do though - so maybe I'm asking for a steak-and-kidney pudding research council. Just asking though.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    OllyT said:

I'm looking forward to Sean T's regeneration. Like Colin Baker this current version has gotten really nasty.

Don't they all, which is why he keeps changing his identity and treating everyone like idiots by claiming he's not SeanT.
    We are all SeanT.

Except... err... me...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,555

HYUFD said:

Tory England is getting smashed to bits - by Covid.

Laour England is even worse though.
    Contrarian doesn't like anyone. Comparing Labour evil to Boris gorgeousness won't rattle his cage.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Why do you always bite?

Most police forces in the UK are responsible to Boris and the Scottish military swears an oath of loyalty to the Queen not Sturgeon
    But where is the riot police of which you speak? That is what I meant.

And there is no such thing as a Scottish military. Only a UK military.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,626
    edited December 2020
    London T3 confirmed

Health Secretary Matt Hancock confirms London, south and west Essex, and the south of Hertfordshire (Three Rivers, Watford, Hertsmere and Broxbourne) are going into tier three from 00:01 on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Great.

If SKS is such an expert, perhaps he could fix Mark from Cardiff up with some top advice on COVID strategy?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

HYUFD said:

I think you are being unreasonable. Cancelling Christmas would be unenforceable and therefore pointless. Not sure anywhere else in Europe, except maybe Germany is doing so. People will make individual choices to be sensible or not. It's the price of a free society. The 'government steer' is very clear.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

I'll have a stab at it:

And Brittany.

As a bored and very, very geeky teenage nerd in the early 80s, I once drew up what I hope does not prove to be a prophetic map of the British Isles after the "Secession Wars" of the 2020s. I used the Tripartite Indenture of 1405 as a starting point, but I extended "Cymru Mawr" to include the whole of the area that Glyndŵr wanted to come under an Archdiocese of St David's so adding the Bishoprics of Worcester, Hereford, Bath and Wells, and Exeter as the autonomous regions of "The Marches", "Wessex" and of course "Kernow". Scotland as independent but having taken on protectorates over the Isle of Man and "Free Ulster" (Cos Antrim and Down, natch HYUFD, the rest of Norn Iron being reunited with the Republic) whilst losing Zetland to Norway. The remainder of England was to be divided between the "Socialist Republic of Northern England" and a rump "United Kingdom" that still claimed sovereignty over the rest of the archipelago.

Yes, I really should have got out more.
  • Options

OllyT said:

We are all SeanT.

Except... err... me...
    Jezbollah launched his Peace and Justice Business yesterday, Lady G gets the ban hammer today.

Coincidence? I think not. Justice for Williamson and Thomas. Solidarity brothers.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

o/t, completely o/t!

Completely good. I've tried to follow all sorts of recipes - I'm no cook though. There has to be so much more that you can do though - so maybe I'm asking for a steak-and-kidney pudding research council. Just asking though.

I did use to make blackcurrant pies from our graduate student allotment using the pastry recipe, so it must be possible ...
  • Options
    The Christmas easing must be cancelled immediately and the entire country must now go back into a full lockdown.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Arbitrary and recent. I am particularly surprised that a German would find this surprising. Perhaps she is virtue signalling a lack of interest in Alsatia and the Sudetenland.
    Surely, Elsaß
  • Options

The Christmas easing must be cancelled immediately and the entire country must now go back into a full lockdown.

I have been saying that for weeks
  • Options
    Ashworth makes the point that Tier 3 just isn't enough. ManCock whines about getting the public health message out. The one that says its Patriotic to get out and shop and then travel the length of the country for a mass spreader event.
  • Options
    Wait @LadyG AKA Sean has been banned?
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

I think you are being unreasonable. Cancelling Christmas would be unenforceable and therefore pointless. Not sure anywhere else in Europe, except maybe Germany is doing so. People will make individual choices to be sensible or not. It's the price of a free society. The 'government steer' is very clear.
    Germany isn't cancelling Christmas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55292614

"A maximum of five people from no more than two households are allowed to gather in a home. But this will be relaxed from 24 to 26 December when one household will be able to invite a maximum of four close family members from other households."
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

It really shouldn't. There has to be a balance of risk in all these matters and the current situation does not merit that kind of draconian response.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

o/t, completely o/t!

Sudden thought. Is pie any good? The inner bit is tdhe same, and you can buy frozen puff pastry (much easier than making your own - even my mum who was a superb cook bought hers.)
  • Options

Ashworth makes the point that Tier 3 just isn't enough. ManCock whines about getting the public health message out. The one that says its Patriotic to get out and shop and then travel the length of the country for a mass spreader event.

In two weeks when the Government announces another surge he will be Captain Foresight again.

Keir has consistently been ahead of the curve and if he'd been running things we would have had far fewer deaths. That is beyond dispute at this time.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Why do you always bite?

But where is the riot police of which you speak? That is what I meant.

And there is no such thing as a Scottish military. Only a UK military.
    The UK military can manage riots if needed as it did in Northern Ireland
  • Options

LadyG said:

Not quite - the bi-conditional operator returns true if and only if the truth values of P and Q are equivalent. P and Q don't themselves need to be equivalent.
  • Options
    felix said:

It really shouldn't. There has to be a balance of risk in all these matters and the current situation does not merit that kind of draconian response.
    We're getting another surge imminently.

I was calling for Lockdown 2.0 when you lot were saying it was nothing to worry about. I was right then and I am right now.
  • Options
    Increasing cases, new variant strain, and the upcoming Christmas the hall pass.

The country will be more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub if the Christmas hall pass goes ahead.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,740
    edited December 2020
    ping said:

Worrying.

Will the vaccines still be effective?
    Hancock says “highly unlikely they won’t work” ... Geeks at Portondown on the case.

This is potentially disasterous....

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    I see that there's now some sort of turbo COVID-19 spreading in the south east.
This discussion has been closed.