Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the betting markets NO DEAL becomes favourite once again as the Brussels talks flounder – politic

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170
    edited December 2020
    MattW said:

When do we think the panic buying will start/resume?

Sunday? Saturday?

I’m topping up my supermarket order today.
    Ha.

I’ve become inured to all of this.
    Corona has been financially challenging for my household although we have survived.

If the future looks like tinned mackerel and beans on toast we will survive.
    I shall put in a repeat request for my January asthma medication late December, and for February's as soon as possible in January.
    Do you not have it on repeat.

I have my medication on six month automatic repeat and I get a text from Boots each month to collect it
    Blimey. How did you get six months repeat out of the system? The most I have ever been allowed for my family's meds is two months. Every time there is some minor change the IT system defaults it back to one month and I have to phone up and remonstrate about it again.
    Both my wife and I have been on six month repeats for years

Maybe it is a Wales NHS policy
    In England I think the default is two months, with a new Dr approval needed once a year.

Only one of mine is really tightly policed - and that is sensors for my Freestyle Libre, which is the blood glucose monitor that Theresa May used to wear.

Fairly easy to knock off on doorframes, and I have yet to persuade my Doc to give me a spare on those occasions, so it is back to finger sticks for a few days on those occasions.

However the things are expensive, at £30-ish every 2 weeks.
    Very surprised that Wales allows six months supply of medicines, if that is what Mr G is saying. All the evidence shows, or did when I dealt with this sort off thing daily, that lengthy repeat stocks in patients houses were a major contributor to waste.
    The norm in my day was monthly prescriptions, although there were, and I think still are, arrangements whereby GP's could issue batches of 6 x 1 month, and patients could collect every month, without the bother of asking for another piece of paper.

Edit. Just seen Mr G's latest post on the subject. Thought it would be the same as the English (and IIRC Scots) scheme.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,736

kjh said:

@IanB2 I responded to you last post on the last thread on the EIHC, Although I have argued here that nobody should rely on it when travelling and should take out health insurance I wanted to make it clear that I also don't want to lose it, which might be incorrectly inferred by my previous arguments in response to posters arguing about people traveling without insurance. I thought your post was spot on. Exactly my view of the EHIC

I certainly wouldn't (wouldn't have relied) rely on the EHIC for all eventualities, just as I wouldn't rely on the services of my local GP, pharmacist or dentist for all eventualities, but it is (was) a very useful first line.
    Exactly my view. I was shocked to find out how many did seem to rely on it.
  • Options
    Luke 14 has always been much more relevant:

For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, saying, “This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.” Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

kjh said:

@IanB2 I responded to you last post on the last thread on the EIHC, Although I have argued here that nobody should rely on it when travelling and should take out health insurance I wanted to make it clear that I also don't want to lose it, which might be incorrectly inferred by my previous arguments in response to posters arguing about people traveling without insurance. I thought your post was spot on. Exactly my view of the EHIC

Losing the EHIC is rather a pain in the backside for me. I have family in Germany and (until Covid) travel there quite regularly to see them. I've never bothered with travel insurance for these trips because I'm very familiar with the country and have the support of my family there should anything go wrong, and I'm not doing anything risky like skiing or whatever. Without the EHIC though, travel insurance becomes essential, even for someone in my situation.
    Brexit - a storm in an E-HICcup.
  • Options

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Walker, if the EU does want the right to direct laws on us (via LPF means) and exact penalties which cannot be reciprocated if we do not follow their lead in that manner, that does seem beyond the bounds of acceptability.

A problem for Macron and Rejoiners is that the theory we'll leave, suffer a lot, and then want to rejoin or have a deal effectively dictated by the EU is that we'll already have a permanently instituted political division. As we saw with Scotland/Holyrood, impose a political dividing line and a divide will grow of its own accord.

A lot of turbulence and problems will arise if we leave without a deal.

But if we weather that for years then get back on an even keel and start adjusting to a new normal, the appetite to be legally subjugated via LPF and so on to an entity that is deemed (by some, at least) to have caused it may be rather less than the Adonises of this world believe. Not only that, the economy will have started adapting to the changed state of affairs.

The EU will, perhaps excepting a couple of months into No Deal turmoil, never have more political leverage than it does now because the change will be sudden, abrupt, and not to our advantage. That leverage will then diminish with each passing day thereafter, but the resentment stoked up will linger more persistently.

That's not good for us, or the EU, or Europe. But it may be what we'll get.

You are presuming that the resentment will be aimed at the EU, rather than the Government, of course.

Sure some of the frothers will continue to moan and whinge about the EU in perpetuity but there's no guarantee that the greater public will blame the EU when they've been told for years that leaving the EU, especially without a deal, is nothing but sunlit uplands and green pastures.
    Actually I would concur with Morris-Dancer and expect the early months of 2021 to be extremely controversial but the country will adapt and I also expect talks with the EU to continue for months and years to come as each side comes to terms with the new reality of the UK outside the EU but as a friendly and cooperative nation

Of course if it does go pear shaped Starmer should win 2024 on a rejoin the single market and customs union manifesto

Lots of uncertainty but most crisis do not end with the worst case scenario
    I didn't disagree with Morris Dancer regarding whether it would end with the worst case scenario, nor did I say we wouldn't adapt.

I was merely disputing where any "blame" would be directed.
    The blame game is fairly well baked in probably with leaver and remainer views polarised
    And considering there is now considerably more people who view Brexit as a "mistake" than those who don't, that should worry the government.

This if of course will be the first time anything has actually changed since Brexit. Brexit will stop being something abstract and actually be something meaningful so I expect more concrete views to finally start to change. In which direction, who knows.
    The polls will be interesting over the coming weeks but longer term no one can have a clue how this will pan out
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. True. But the polls show a solid substantial plurality, edging on a majority, of voters who already think the 2016 vote outcome was a mistake. Pretty much all the modelling suggests that No Deal is the most damaging form of Brexit for the economy. And Johnson's inability to set preparations in train in time means the UK really isn't ready.

It's a combustible mix, it could go either way. But disaster is surely more likely than triumph.
    I am not expecting a disaster but lots of controversy
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,002

philiph said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

Corona has been financially challenging for my household although we have survived.

I shall put in a repeat request for my January asthma medication late December, and for February's as soon as possible in January.

I have my medication on six month automatic repeat and I get a text from Boots each month to collect it
    Blimey. How did you get six months repeat out of the system? The most I have ever been allowed for my family's meds is two months. Every time there is some minor change the IT system defaults it back to one month and I have to phone up and remonstrate about it again.
    One of the reasons an Independent Wales would need to go to the IMF within a fortnight is free repeat prescriptions. Several years ago, my late father was confused as to what meds he needed to take, so I cleared the house of excess meds. I returned two full bin bags to the chemists. He had enough Tramadol to join a Columbian drug cartel.

Old people and free prescriptions! A scam run by Welsh Pharmacists!
    I wonder what % of medications are not taken. Is there any figure for that?
    Also what % of the adult (or child) population are on prescription medicine.
    Sometimes it looks like a scheme to get everyone on meds of some sort
    We could have a whole thread on this alone.
    At present I have about £50-100 worth of still-packed dressings and burn treatment sitting in a cupboard from when I burnt an arm last year.

Can't take them back as they have my name on them and will be destroyed.

But that can be no other way.

Figure here says £300m a year:
    http://www.medicinewaste.com/campaign

That feels low, for a GP drugs budget of £9bn a year.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Luke 14 has always been much more relevant:

For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, saying, “This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.” Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace.
    That is fantastic. I assumed I had osmotically absorbed the whole content of the NT but that is completely new to me.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,975
    eek said:

Going back to the moon landing thing I agree that the USA spent vast sums of it national wealth on the pursuit of the moon, but I am sure a huge amount of that was spent on the testing and development of the technology. By 1969 they had the technology and it worked. Even when a manufacturing error caused an explosion on Apollo 13 the spacecraft was robust enough to get back to earth. So if they have the technoolgy why not just reproduce it. Surely using modern manufacturing methods it would be much cheaper to reproduce, and the command module could actually have a decent computer system in it rather that something more basic than a calculator. I just find it so odd that they had the technology to do it, but they no longer do. Just build the Saturn V rocket again, use the same design for the LEM with a decent computer system and away you go. I know thats simplistic but it seems logical.

The expertise required is 50 years old - a lot will have been forgotten and a lot of things will need to be replaced as the originals don't exist any more. Worse as you remove weight from one place, you need to either replace it or remove it from somewhere else as well.

It's easier to just start again.
    The interesting part is how NASA, as an institution saw the Space Program.

Before the Space Race, the NACA (the predecessor organisation) was steadily building faster and faster X planes. The X15 was theist of this line, and they were sketching orbital spaceplanes.

When Sputnik and Gagarin happened, it was clear that they didn't have *time*. The manned capsule approach, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo were the fastest.

Lunar Orbit Rendezvous - the architecture used for Apollo was the fastest. But it was also the riskiest and meant that Apollo was sized at less than would be required for Mars.

The whole Apollo design was for speed and weight reduction. The Lunar Lander in particular.

So, when they had actually achieved a landing on the Moon, NASA (internally) was looking at a system that had been built in a hurry, had very narrow margins, was incredibly risky (Landing and taking off from the Moon required two separate, single engines to work perfectly, for example), and incredibly costly per mission.

To NASA, it was the Wrong System. So they designed what they thought the Right System would look like, given time. A winged spaceplane to lift cargo into Earth Orbit for assembly.

Apollo was already winding down when Nixon took office. The cancellation of the final missions and it's replacement with the orbital meet-up with the Russians, Skylab and the Shuttle was the plan that *NASA* wanted. Quite a few American politicians wanted to end the manned space program completely. The Shuttle was the sensible plan from the experts....

When the Shuttle turned out to be a white elephant, the NASA line changed to "Darn that Evul Nixon"

Oh, and an interesting perspective on yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuK-yy8jf5A
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,603
    eek said:

Going back to the moon landing thing I agree that the USA spent vast sums of it national wealth on the pursuit of the moon, but I am sure a huge amount of that was spent on the testing and development of the technology. By 1969 they had the technology and it worked. Even when a manufacturing error caused an explosion on Apollo 13 the spacecraft was robust enough to get back to earth. So if they have the technoolgy why not just reproduce it. Surely using modern manufacturing methods it would be much cheaper to reproduce, and the command module could actually have a decent computer system in it rather that something more basic than a calculator. I just find it so odd that they had the technology to do it, but they no longer do. Just build the Saturn V rocket again, use the same design for the LEM with a decent computer system and away you go. I know thats simplistic but it seems logical.

The expertise required is 50 years old - a lot will have been forgotten and a lot of things will need to be replaced as the originals don't exist any more. Worse as you remove weight from one place, you need to either replace it or remove it from somewhere else as well.

Some of it is probably known now to be quite unsafe - you can get lucky x number of times with the moon landings, but we now know there's a 5% chance of failure here, another 2% here etc. You can't really be sending people off to the moon knowing the multiple possible unfixed failures that might kill them.

The other thing is, if you just recreate the old kit, what is the point? We've been to the moon, there's nothing much other than excitement in going again. It should be used to develop new technology that will get us beyond the moon, or get us there more safely, routinely and cheaply. You might as well say why did SpaceX bother developing new rockets when the could have just bought the plans for Saturn V.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,126

Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. True. But the polls show a solid substantial plurality, edging on a majority, of voters who already think the 2016 vote outcome was a mistake. Pretty much all the modelling suggests that No Deal is the most damaging form of Brexit for the economy. And Johnson's inability to set preparations in train in time means the UK really isn't ready.

It's a combustible mix, it could go either way. But disaster is surely more likely than triumph.

Johnson will be wildly popular if he no deals. He'll wrap it up in some ersatz Trump rhetoric and it'll be like the VE day celebrations all over again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,342
    eek said:

Added to that, the cost of each Saturn flight was enormous.
    And the took risks with the moonshots which would not be accepted today.
    NASA's new heavy launch vehicle in development will also be very, very expensive (though a bit lees so than Saturn) - but Musk's Starship, if it works, will be at least an order of magnitude cheaper.

BTW, a very good writeup of the Starship development to date can be found here:
    https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020/12/from-hops-hopes-starship-sn8-test-program-next-phase/
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Walker, if the EU does want the right to direct laws on us (via LPF means) and exact penalties which cannot be reciprocated if we do not follow their lead in that manner, that does seem beyond the bounds of acceptability.

A problem for Macron and Rejoiners is that the theory we'll leave, suffer a lot, and then want to rejoin or have a deal effectively dictated by the EU is that we'll already have a permanently instituted political division. As we saw with Scotland/Holyrood, impose a political dividing line and a divide will grow of its own accord.

But if we weather that for years then get back on an even keel and start adjusting to a new normal, the appetite to be legally subjugated via LPF and so on to an entity that is deemed (by some, at least) to have caused it may be rather less than the Adonises of this world believe. Not only that, the economy will have started adapting to the changed state of affairs.

The EU will, perhaps excepting a couple of months into No Deal turmoil, never have more political leverage than it does now because the change will be sudden, abrupt, and not to our advantage. That leverage will then diminish with each passing day thereafter, but the resentment stoked up will linger more persistently.

You are presuming that the resentment will be aimed at the EU, rather than the Government, of course.

Sure some of the frothers will continue to moan and whinge about the EU in perpetuity but there's no guarantee that the greater public will blame the EU when they've been told for years that leaving the EU, especially without a deal, is nothing but sunlit uplands and green pastures.
    Actually I would concur with Morris-Dancer and expect the early months of 2021 to be extremely controversial but the country will adapt and I also expect talks with the EU to continue for months and years to come as each side comes to terms with the new reality of the UK outside the EU but as a friendly and cooperative nation

Of course if it does go pear shaped Starmer should win 2024 on a rejoin the single market and customs union manifesto

You should go back and read your posts from the earlier part of 2019, if only for the novelty of encountering an entirely different version of yourself.
    You know, the problems in society are most often caused by people following a blind dogma while I do adopt, adapt and improve and if this is a problem for you so be it
    But the dogma is what is driving us toward the cliff.

Being concerned about the real world implications of a no deal exit - which you were, up until it collided with your reluctance to follow through on your own promises - is not dogma, but sensible politics.
    I am concerned, very concerned, but also cannot accept the EU want to control our coastal waters and keep us locked into their legislation when they do not insist on it with any other third country
    More mindless government propaganda from you @Big_G_NorthWales.

"Want to control our coastal waters" good grief.
    You obviously have no connection with fishing communities and every country has a right to protect the resources in their own coastal waters
    The EU are wanting access to one of our natural resources as the price for a deal, as is their right.

I thought you were a supporter of capitalism?

But no, you're wrong. My Dad grew up in the fishing port of North Shields and my grandparents still live there. None of them give two shits about fish and why would they? The industry employs less people than Debenhams does for christ's sake.
    You will not find that dismissive attitude in the Scottish fishing communities
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

philiph said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

One of the reasons an Independent Wales would need to go to the IMF within a fortnight is free repeat prescriptions. Several years ago, my late father was confused as to what meds he needed to take, so I cleared the house of excess meds. I returned two full bin bags to the chemists. He had enough Tramadol to join a Columbian drug cartel.

With a range of views from medics, pharmacists, users, abusers and conspiracy theorists (where is Henchman??)
  • Options
    MattW said:

philiph said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

At present I have about £50-100 worth of still-packed dressings and burn treatment sitting in a cupboard from when I burnt an arm last year.

Can't take them back as they have my name on them and will be destroyed.

But that can be no other way.

Figure here says £300m a year:
    http://www.medicinewaste.com/campaign

That feels low, for a GP drugs budget of £9bn a year.
    In my day, estimating the right quantity of dressings was always difficult. Often quite a lot of wastage. Drugs were much easier.
    But I and other pharmacists have horror stories of patients whom we visited, or have come to us with several years supply of several medications.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

When you say six months, do you mean you get six months worth of pills, or you get six lots of one month then have your prescription reviewed after six months?
    We have six monthly reviews by our GP who then authorises Boots to repeat the medication month by month for the next six months. Of course if you require other medication that is prescribed on a need only basis
    I'm the same. Does it not worry you that your meds might become unavailable. I have a little inside knowledge of this because of my wife's role. There should be a 6 week stock of meds. The Govt have required the Pharmaceutical industry to ensure this, but after that the Industry is still waiting for the Govt directions. NI will have two different safety requirement come 1 Jan because of the withdrawal agreement which includes labeling and safety instructions which takes time to put into place.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,329
    Dura_Ace said:

Johnson will be wildly popular if he no deals.

For a day, maybe
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

You should go back and read your posts from the earlier part of 2019, if only for the novelty of encountering an entirely different version of yourself.
    You know, the problems in society are most often caused by people following a blind dogma while I do adopt, adapt and improve and if this is a problem for you so be it

Being concerned about the real world implications of a no deal exit - which you were, up until it collided with your reluctance to follow through on your own promises - is not dogma, but sensible politics.
    I am concerned, very concerned, but also cannot accept the EU want to control our coastal waters and keep us locked into their legislation when they do not insist on it with any other third country

You obviously have no connection with fishing communities and every country has a right to protect the resources in their own coastal waters
    The EU are wanting access to one of our natural resources as the price for a deal, as is their right.

But no, you're wrong. My Dad grew up in the fishing port of North Shields and my grandparents still live there. None of them give two shits about fish and why would they? The industry employs less people than Debenhams does for christ's sake.
    You will not find that dismissive attitude in the Scottish fishing communities
    Then maybe your party shouldn't have a dismissive attitude to North East English car manufacturing.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

Johnson will be wildly popular if he no deals. He'll wrap it up in some ersatz Trump rhetoric and it'll be like the VE day celebrations all over again.
    For about a week.

Then reality will kick in!
  • Options
    Good morning.
  • Options
    Given fishing is worth sod all in the grand scheme of the UK economy I'm surprised the government hasn't sold out the fishing community like they have done the Northern Irish.

Is a no brainer.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,126
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Dura_Ace said:

Johnson will be wildly popular if he no deals.

For a day, maybe
    If it does all fuck up the lumpen are going to blame the EU than our flabby, rumpled, offspring abandoning caudillo.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Scott_xP said:
    People should have listened to the boy because of the risk despite his lying, but he also should not have lied so often beforehand.

In this situations the warnings are likely right, but that analogy suggests previous warnings were lies, or at least wrong, which I doubt is your or his intention.
  • Options
    kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

When you say six months, do you mean you get six months worth of pills, or you get six lots of one month then have your prescription reviewed after six months?
    We have six monthly reviews by our GP who then authorises Boots to repeat the medication month by month for the next six months. Of course if you require other medication that is prescribed on a need only basis
    I'm the same. Does it not worry you that your meds might become unavailable. I have a little inside knowledge of this because of my wife's role. There should be a 6 week stock of meds. The Govt have required the Pharmaceutical industry to ensure this, but after that the Industry is still waiting for the Govt directions. NI will have two different safety requirement come 1 Jan because of the withdrawal agreement which includes labeling and safety instructions which takes time to put into place.
    I have not been worried about drug supply and medicine is usual a priority across all borders
  • Options
    kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

Both my routine asthma inhalers appear to be made on the Continent, although one might possible be Indian.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,342
    Dura_Ace said:

So followed by nearly a decade of rationing ?
  • Options
    Looks like we either get a clean Brexit or a good deal.

Exciting interesting times either way.
  • Options
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

For about a week.

Then reality will kick in!
    Unfortunately, Boris has never been able to resist the temptation to indulge himself now, whatever the cost tomorrow.
  • Options

kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

I have not been worried about drug supply and medicine is usual a priority across all borders
    I would suggest, Mr G that you should be concerned. I know there are concerns in the community pharmacy world, because I still read the professional press.
    Largely, admittedly, to see which of my friends has passed away!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,967
    edited December 2020
    Brexit No Deal looking increasingly more likely this morning.

In other news: FTSE100 0.5% up.

What figures?

(Memo to self: never expect to understand or predict the stock markets.)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

If the EU can’t drop the one-sided ‘ratchet’ clauses in social and employment legislation, then there’s no way to a deal. Boris can’t concede on these, he’d be replaced as party leader by John Redwood almost overnight.

They're not one-sided.
    Please give an example of where UK can legislate stricter laws and the EU would be *obligated* to follow suit?
    The EU isn't obligated to follow our rules, we are not obligated to follow theirs. A ratchet clause states that if both sides make their regulations stricter in the future, then those stricter rules form the new benchmark. If either side subsequently reduce their regulations then the other side can impose tariffs to offset the competitive advantage gained. It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-55249141
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    How on earth did he or she pass their law exams. Or don't they have them in that State?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,355
    Gaussian said:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1336949039024246784

More evidence of the fantasy world that Johnson's cabinet live in.

The government and its supporters are just gaslighting the entire nation.
    NI is resolved - that issue is over
    I mean it clearly isn't over, as we have seen. What is wrong with you?
    Ni protocol was confirmed by Gove this week and there is nothing wrong with me other than I am getting elderly very quickly by the feel of it
    The NI protocol being agreed does not "solve the issue". There will be many, especially in Northern Ireland, who will consider the new arrangements a downgrade on the status quo and will continue to complain about them.
    Here's the NI protocol solving the issue.

https://twitter.com/eastantrimmp/status/1336672027554549761
    What actually happens in four years when the unionist majority in the assembly votes down the current arrangements? NI fully back in the UK, Good Friday Agreement in tatters?
    No, if they vote against it then there is a two year negotiation between the UK and EU on what to replace it with, respecting the GFA.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Given fishing is worth sod all in the grand scheme of the UK economy I'm surprised the government hasn't sold out the fishing community like they have done the Northern Irish.

Is a no brainer.

I think you're missing the rather important point that fishing is important to the EU. That's why it's a sticking point.

No one really cares about Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,752

kjh said:

Losing the EHIC is rather a pain in the backside for me. I have family in Germany and (until Covid) travel there quite regularly to see them. I've never bothered with travel insurance for these trips because I'm very familiar with the country and have the support of my family there should anything go wrong, and I'm not doing anything risky like skiing or whatever. Without the EHIC though, travel insurance becomes essential, even for someone in my situation.
    It would be useful to know how much of a pain losing EHIC rights in the UK is to 500 million EU members too. Is the EU right to insist on this?

• Options

Good to see the spin of the lunatic asylum
  • Options

Is a no brainer.

The fishing will get sorted in seconds if the LPF chasm can get bridged. The fishermen will get thrown under one of those busses that Johnson is so fond of in short order.
  • Options

kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

Well you should be. At the time of the last panic I was made aware of the processes to get stuff in by my wife if there was an issue. She wouldn't let me post the details here and it was fun seeing the argument here on what the Govt plans were (some were spot on, others wildly wrong), but I can tell you that although there were proper plans the Pharmaceutical Industry was seriously worried.

If they are worried, you should be. FYI she is responsible for drug safety in one of the major Pharmaceutical Companies
  • Options

Good to see the spin of the lunatic asylum
    It's not worth it, mate.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Can that be your only comment for today on the subject please we all know your views.
  • Options

Is a no brainer.

That all goes back to it being very personal to Michael Gove. He is the only intelligent person in the country who really believes in all this shit, and is all about Daddy’s business when he was a child
  • Options

Ni protocol was confirmed by Gove this week and there is nothing wrong with me other than I am getting elderly very quickly by the feel of it
    Yes. A protocol was confirmed. Not the *contents* of the protocol. A 3 month "grace period" for the food industry has been granted whilst both parties work out what it means and how it works. So instead of a cliff-edge on 1st January we now have a cliff-edge on 1st April.

Its not remotely "resolved". And when it is NI will be in a different regulatory zone to GB. Customs paperwork and physical checks will be required to move goods within the UK. If you think that sticking a border down the Irish Sea means the issue issue is resolved and over then you're quite mad.
  • Options

What figures?

FTSE100 went up after we voted to leave the EU.

Was explained by the pound going down and since a lot of FTSE100 has foreign earnings and foreign investment that drives up the value of FTSE100 in sterling.

No deal would see pound drop further and thus FTSE100 go up further. So expect FTSE100 to be a counterindicator to a deal.
  • Options

kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

I would suggest, Mr G that you should be concerned. I know there are concerns in the community pharmacy world, because I still read the professional press.
    To be honest worrying about it cannot resolve it
  • Options

That all goes back to it being very personal to Michael Gove. He is the only intelligent person in the country who really believes in all this shit, and is all about Daddy’s business when he was a child

Michael Gove’s father has contradicted claims made by his son that the family’s fish processing firm in Aberdeen was destroyed by the European Union’s fisheries policies.

Ernest Gove told the Guardian that he sold the business voluntarily because the fishing industry in Aberdeen was being hit by a range of different factors. These included competition for space in the port from North Sea oil vessels, the Icelandic cod wars, dockworkers’ strikes and new 200-mile limits to control over-fishing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/15/michael-gove-father-company-eu-policies-fish-processing-aberdeen
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,967

What figures?

Was explained by the pound going down and since a lot of FTSE100 has foreign earnings and foreign investment that drives up the value of FTSE100 in sterling.

No deal would see pound drop further and thus FTSE100 go up further. So expect FTSE100 to be a counterindicator to a deal.
    Thanks, yes that makes sense.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Can that be your only comment for today on the subject please we all know your views.
    After you say that to everyone else whose views are known rather than being obsessed with one individual. Go on, lets see you be so arrogant with someone you agree with.

I will not be holding my breath waiting for you to do so.

If TSE or Mike Smithson instruct me to stop posting I will. Not you.
  • Options

kjh said:

Agreed.

And given the EHIC scheme includes Norway & Switzerland & Iceland, there is no absolutely reason why it could not continue.
    It could continue. But the UK government doesn't want it continue. So one of the new benefits of Brexit for UK citizens is buying expensive health insurance when going abroad. Don't worry, there will be a competitive marketplace of Tory friends and donors competing for your business.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,197

What figures?

Thanks, yes that makes sense.
    Post-hoc rationalisation. If someone claims to be able to predict financial movements there's a simple obvious question to ask them.

• Options

It's always been a clash of idealogy. The EU sees it as more important to keep their political Project on track than to trade. Ironic, given its origins. But then, that's why we have left it.

Ummm, BoZo thinks it is more important to keep his political project on track than to trade with our largest partners...

That's why we are screwed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

I think you're missing the rather important point that fishing is important to the EU. That's why it's a sticking point.

Most Northern Irish people are actually happy with the great deal they are getting (bar the DUP), still effectively in the single market and no hard border with the Irish Republic and technically part of the UK and minimised trade checks with GB, if we go to No Deal ironically the only part of the UK that will grow is probably Northern Ireland, invest in NI therefore now
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

I don`t mean to be devilish (I do), but we have left the EU so at this point have sovereignty over our territories including the wet bits.

If Johnson wanted to trade-away some of that sovereignty to obtain a trade deal wouldn`t that need a referendum?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,619

What figures?

No deal Brexit is likely to hit the £ principally, which - given its foreign earnings - would normally push the FTSE up.

Sorry to see your May trip is cancelled.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Michael Gove’s father has contradicted claims made by his son that the family’s fish processing firm in Aberdeen was destroyed by the European Union’s fisheries policies.

Ernest Gove told the Guardian that he sold the business voluntarily because the fishing industry in Aberdeen was being hit by a range of different factors. These included competition for space in the port from North Sea oil vessels, the Icelandic cod wars, dockworkers’ strikes and new 200-mile limits to control over-fishing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/15/michael-gove-father-company-eu-policies-fish-processing-aberdeen
    Interesting, thanks for that. Shows that Gove is as much a lying toad as his incompetent boss
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's always been a clash of idealogy. The EU sees it as more important to keep their political Project on track than to trade. Ironic, given its origins. But then, that's why we have left it.

Ummm, BoZo thinks it is more important to keep his political project on track than to trade with our largest partners...

Absolutely it is. That is politics. That is what we voted for.

Your wanting to reverse democracy is as repugnant as Trump's. You are as rational and ethical as Sidney Powell's Kraken.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,484
    edited December 2020

kjh said:

Agreed.

And given the EHIC scheme includes Norway & Switzerland & Iceland, there is no absolutely reason why it could not continue.
    It could continue. But the UK government doesn't want it continue. So one of the new benefits of Brexit for UK citizens is buying expensive health insurance when going abroad. Don't worry, there will be a competitive marketplace of Tory friends and donors competing for your business.
    I have always bought travel insurance and I would expect the vast majority of holidaymakers do as it also covers lots of other issues including cancellation, loss of possessions, legal cover and other advantages

The idea holidaymakers travel on the emergency EHIC card is disingenuous for most people

• Options
    edited December 2020

Is a no brainer.

The Tories now represent lots of fishing ports from Peterhead to Grimsby to Hastings and St Ives that is why while they have lost seats in London, the centre of finance.

More Tory MPs now represent fishing ports for example than represent seats in inner London, it is all about appeasing the new Tory base
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

They do. But as with all things you have to weigh them up in the round. Industrial, steel, mining communities had the right to protect their resources but that didn't stop our government allowing these industries to be wound down and replaced by imports. Fishing is important, but is it the hill for our government to die on when its such a small percentage of our economy?

Besides which, so many in these fishing communities you speak of have woken up to the big problem with Brexit - export. As most of the fish they catch is consumed outside the UK they need to be able to efficiently export their new catch, and the deal thats being done appears to be deliberately designed to impede that...
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Gaussian said:

The NI protocol being agreed does not "solve the issue". There will be many, especially in Northern Ireland, who will consider the new arrangements a downgrade on the status quo and will continue to complain about them.

What actually happens in four years when the unionist majority in the assembly votes down the current arrangements? NI fully back in the UK, Good Friday Agreement in tatters?
    No, if they vote against it then there is a two year negotiation between the UK and EU on what to replace it with, respecting the GFA.
    So it will be an opportunity to extract some more subsidies but ultimately the UK government would "encourage" them not to reopen that can of worms?
  • Options

kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

While we, at our level cannot resolve the situation I suggest you keep yourself informed by asking the pharmacist at Boots what the situation is, as time goes along.
    As I said, I can see there could be an issue with my inhalers and if the surgery will let me, I will try and, if not stock up, make sure I'm less likely to run out.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Gaussian said:

There is not a Unionist majority in the Assembly, the Alliance is the median party in the NI Assembly now
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

Most Northern Irish people are actually happy with the great deal they are getting (bar the DUP), still effectively in the single market and no hard border with the Irish Republic and technically part of the UK and minimised trade checks with GB, if we go to No Deal ironically the only part of the UK that will grow is probably Northern Ireland, invest in NI therefore now
    Are you not providing your usual polling evidence?
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Why do you think the UK government is trying to push through powers to overrule the devolved governments...
  • Options

kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

While we, at our level cannot resolve the situation I suggest you keep yourself informed by asking the pharmacist at Boots what the situation is, as time goes along.
    As I said, I can see there could be an issue with my inhalers and if the surgery will let me, I will try and, if not stock up, make sure I'm less likely to run out.
    I have been told my inhalers should last three months each and I have a couple in stock so I do not see inhalers as a problem
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kjh said:

Agreed.

I have always bought travel insurance and I would expect the vast majority of holidaymakers do as it also covers lots of other issues including cancellation, loss of possessions, legal cover and other advantages

The idea holidaymakers travel on the emergency EHIC card is disingenuous for most people

8.6 million in 2019. A lot.

https://www.abta.com/news/8point6-million-holidaymakers-dont-have-travel-insurance-for-their-summer-holiday

But of course they are poor and improvident, so don't count.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,191
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

Which means the Scots will want to do the same. All part of the glorious UK innit?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Scott_xP said:

You lose any credibility you might want to assert by calling the Prime Minister "BoZo".

Not that you had much to lose.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

Agreed.

8.6 million in 2019. A lot.

https://www.abta.com/news/8point6-million-holidaymakers-dont-have-travel-insurance-for-their-summer-holiday

But of course they are poor and improvident, so don't count.
    I am surprised at that number especially if they are travelling outside the EU
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Erdogan is currently addressing a big victory parade in Azerbaijan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSObVWcy9I
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Your wanting to reverse democracy is as repugnant as Trump's. You are as rational and ethical as Sidney Powell's Kraken.
    Most people voted against Corbyn rather than for Boris and what he's doing now. Those that did vote positively for Boris were expecting an oven ready deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

Which means the Scots will want to do the same. All part of the glorious UK innit?
    No. Scotland has no border with a non UK country unlike NI and voted 55% to stay part of the UK in 2014 in a once in a generation referendum.

Scotland will therefore come out of the EU with a basic FTA or on WTO terms like the rest of us
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

They do. But as with all things you have to weigh them up in the round. Industrial, steel, mining communities had the right to protect their resources but that didn't stop our government allowing these industries to be wound down and replaced by imports. Fishing is important, but is it the hill for our government to die on when its such a small percentage of our economy?

Besides which, so many in these fishing communities you speak of have woken up to the big problem with Brexit - export. As most of the fish they catch is consumed outside the UK they need to be able to efficiently export their new catch, and the deal thats being done appears to be deliberately designed to impede that...
    A lot of Scottish fishermen were worrying about that a long time ago.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Most people voted against Corbyn rather than for Boris and what he's doing now. Those that did vote positively for Boris were expecting an oven ready deal.
    There have been not one, not two but four consecutive nationwide votes that have resulted in Brexit. Had any of those four nationwide elections gone the other way then Brexit wouldn't have happened.

It is time to get on with it. We get it, Scott etc didn't vote for it and think its a bad idea. Just as MrEd thinks Biden is a bad idea. But we live in a democracy.

Democracy is more valuable and more important than whether something is a good or bad idea. Anyone who forgets that whether it be Sidney Powell or others is dangerous.
  • Options
    Trump's administration rushes through 5 Federal executions before his term ends in January

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55236260
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

CatMan said:

Sunday? Saturday?

Ha.

Well you should be. At the time of the last panic I was made aware of the processes to get stuff in by my wife if there was an issue. She wouldn't let me post the details here and it was fun seeing the argument here on what the Govt plans were (some were spot on, others wildly wrong), but I can tell you that although there were proper plans the Pharmaceutical Industry was seriously worried.

If they are worried, you should be. FYI she is responsible for drug safety in one of the major Pharmaceutical Companies
    I'm only on anti-depressants and not anything more serious. But even I have an additional month's supply stashed away. There WILL be shortages. The government instructed the pharma industry to do its best to stockpile because the government knows there WILL be shortages. How do they know this? Because the "reasonable worst case scenario" is what they are expecting.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    EU Commission announces further No Deal contingency measures

President von der Leyen said: “Negotiations are still ongoing. However, given that the end of the transition is very near, there is no guarantee that if and when an agreement is found, it can enter into force on time. Our responsibility is to be prepared for all eventualities, including not having a deal in place with the UK on 1 January 2021. That is why we are coming forward with these measures today”.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2368
  • Options

kjh said:

Agreed.

Travel *health* insurance. Not "my bag got lost" insurance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

No. Scotland has no border with a non UK country unlike NI and voted 55% to stay part of the UK in 2014 in a once in a generation referendum.

Scotland will therefore come out of the EU with a basic FTA or on WTO terms like the rest of us
    It's got a border all right. It's called the North Channel, and there's another one called the North Sea. Complete with ferry routes.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

Mining communities did not elect lots of Tory MPs in the 1980s, the fishing community has elected lots of Tory MPs now.

If you want a Tory government to listen to you you therefore need to elect Tory MPs
  • Options
    Where does this idea, repeated several times here, that the EU is seeking unilateral 'ratchet' clauses come from? Because it certainly doesn't come from anything the EU has proposed.

Interesting how myths trump reality so quickly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

Mining communities did not elect lots of Tory MPs in the 1980s, the fishing community has elected lots of Tory MPs now.

If you want a Tory government to listen to you you therefore need to elect Tory MPs
    Oh, so Tories only care for fellow Tories? Couldn't give a shite for the country as a whole? Now you are finally admitting that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

Gotya. If an industry of strategic importance doesn't want to be wilfully destroyed by the mendacious actions of the Tories they need to vote Tory.

Its like the mob isn't it. "Nice coal mine. Shame if someone closed it down..."
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There have been not one, not two but four consecutive nationwide votes that have resulted in Brexit. Had any of those four nationwide elections gone the other way then Brexit wouldn't have happened.

It is time to get on with it. We get it, Scott etc didn't vote for it and think its a bad idea. Just as MrEd thinks Biden is a bad idea. But we live in a democracy.

Democracy is more valuable and more important than whether something is a good or bad idea. Anyone who forgets that whether it be Sidney Powell or others is dangerous.
    When was the vote to leave with no trade deal, Phil? TMay acknowledged the possibility, but Boris repeatedly assured us that we'd get a great deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

It's got a border all right. It's called the North Channel, and there's another one called the North Sea. Complete with ferry routes.
    No land border, Scotland's only land border is with England but we are all part of one glorious Union and we Tories will ensure Scots remain part of our glorious Union for the rest of our time in office and enjoy the fruits of the great new Brexit future we will have in GB under Boris.

No need to thank us!
  • Options
    It sounds like even No Deal won’t make John Redwood happy:

Fisheries: A proposal for a Regulation to create the appropriate legal framework until 31 December 2021, or until a fisheries agreement with the UK has been concluded – whichever date is earlier – for continued reciprocal access by EU and UK vessels to each other's waters after 31 December 2020. In order to guarantee the sustainability of fisheries and in light of the importance of fisheries for the economic livelihood of many communities, it is necessary to facilitate the procedures of authorisation of fishing vessels.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

No land border, Scotland's only land border is with England but we are all part of one glorious Union and we Tories will ensure Scots remain part of our glorious Union for the rest of our time in office and enjoy the fruits of the great new Brexit future we will have in GB under Boris.

No need to thank us!
    You said "border". Not "land".

Why are they building customs posts at Dover if it weren't a border? Do you still think thje English own Calais?!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

When was the vote to leave with no trade deal, Phil? TMay acknowledged the possibility, but Boris repeatedly assured us that we'd get a great deal.
    We have a deal, the Withdrawal Agreement, it has already been implemented.

The question is if any more deals are agreeable now, the manifesto promised that the UK would take back control of laws and money. If the EU aren't OK with that then no further deals may be available in which case so be it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Good morning, everyone.

Gotya. If an industry of strategic importance doesn't want to be wilfully destroyed by the mendacious actions of the Tories they need to vote Tory.

Its like the mob isn't it. "Nice coal mine. Shame if someone closed it down..."
    Technically more mines closed under Wilson than Thatcher anyway
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Should say not a chance on fisheries. Certainly not for fisheries to be for longer than other ones that is crazy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Is a no brainer.

No need to thank us!
    I don't have strong feelings one way or another re Independence, but I am wondering why you are so fervent about the status quo? How would you have felt about India in 1947 or Canada, Kenya, etc. Were they all wrong and if not why not? If it is just cos it is physically connected why is that important? Again many examples of those splits.
  • Options
    Stocky said:
    More like applying the thumb screws. This will kick off a political row even about No Deal.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,607
    HYUFD said:

Is a no brainer.

The Tories now represent lots of fishing ports from Peterhead to Grimsby to Hastings and St Ives that is why while they have lost seats in London, the centre of finance.

More Tory MPs now represent fishing ports for example than represent seats in inner London, it is all about appeasing the new Tory base
    Yes and we know where appeasement gets you.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Is a no brainer.

Yes and we know where appeasement gets you.
    Yes, like Scottish Tory MPs in WW2. The jail.
This discussion has been closed.