Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Covid Whack-A-Mole – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    algarkirk said:

"He is of course right that Darwin destroyed any last vestige of credibility that religion ever had",

Nice try. Try by science alone, explaining: Why there is something rather than nothing. How life began. What consciousness is. Where rationality comes from. How and why if there are no purposes in the universe we have evolved to have purposes and intentions.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    Whatever the merits of the PM it's good to see that he's back to looking quite healthy.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

kle4 said:

What are the latest betting odds on the existence of God?

Can you imagine how long it would take Betfair to settle that?
    Seems a conflict of interest when they are backing the other team, as it were.
    What would be really depressing would be to find there is a God but that he was indeed an insecure puritanical egotistical maniac who cannot stand any dissent or non-worship of him and occasionally has strops and causes nasty things like earthquakes. He is even likely to be to be out of his creative phase as for the last 2000 year he has not even parted any seas, made people , created light or anything more original than earthquakes.
    My understanding of God is that He exists, but He starts drinking at about 11am. Once you understand that, the entire universe is explained.
    You are the Almighty and I claim my Myrrh, Gold and Frankincense
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

That's what I've been saying. If we can't enforce the rules and need time to adjust then the solution is to not enforce the rules. At least originally.

That the very idea of that seems unthinkable to many people just shows why the solution is often outside the box. If people need 6 to 12 months to adjust to the rules, give it to them.
    Some tend to be a bit absolutist "The EU will enforce the rules, the UK won't".

I suspect both will enforce them to their own advantage. For example on passport control, UK passport holders won't be able to use EU e-gates on entering the EU, but initially EU passport holder will on entering the UK ("this is being kept under review") - which is actually more sensible.

Couple of Daily Mail front pages and that will finish.....
    UK tourists are SO important to much of the EU market - Greece, Spain, Portugal - that I bet these countries will indeed bend the rules to make it easier for Brits to pass through customs. If Brits know they face 2 hour waits at EU passport control they will instead go to Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey, Egypt (and on to Thailand etc), which are already cheaper by a distance, and will make it easy for Brits.

Competition for willing tourists is going to be fierce post-covid. The urge will be to open things up, not close them down.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Foxy said:

TimT said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:
    Does Richi go anywhere without his personal photographer?
    Thought 1: I hope this is for Rishi himself, otherwise he's just spoilt the surprise for (at least one of) his kids.
    Thought 2: His kids will also now know that it's Rishi, not Santa, who buys the presents
    Thought 3: Unless 'kids' refers to everyone's kids and Rishi is in fact Santa?
    Rishi and his wife are Hindu anyway, the family might not even celebrate Christmas.

The caption just said he was picking up presents, not that they were Christmas presents
    Why do you think they might not even celebrate Christmas?
    Not all Hindus do, it is not a religious festival for them and not all will do the secular festivities either
    You clearly haven't met enough Indians lol, especially the second generation types like Rishi. Christmas is pretty standard, everyone does something for it, especially with kids. Even my super religious family in the US buy a tree every year and give presents etc...
    Oh no, immigrants to a country adopting its customs and traditions. ;)
    Sandpit, I thought you lived in Dubai or somewhere in the ME. Surely you've seen how Muslim families celebrate Christmas too (as do many Jewish families I know in NYC).

* Xmas has become the universal non-denominational, secular religious celebration.
    Xmas is formed but using the Greek letter Chi, (for Christ) combined with mass as in a religious celebration. It is actually an old way of writing Christmas, and not secular at all.
    Doesn't matter what you call it, what letters you use to write it, the Christian holiday by that name has been appropriated by all and sundry to be an international secular holiday. You might still celebrate it as a religious holiday, but I'd wager that it's pretty evens globally between the Christians and non-Christians, tilting heavily in the latter's favour if you shift the agnostics into that camp.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:
    Thought 1: I hope this is for Rishi himself, otherwise he's just spoilt the surprise for (at least one of) his kids.
    Thought 2: His kids will also now know that it's Rishi, not Santa, who buys the presents
    Rishi and his wife are Hindu anyway, the family might not even celebrate Christmas.

The caption just said he was picking up presents, not that they were Christmas presents
    Because he's from the 17th century and thinks Christmas is Christian.
    It is Christian, hence the title, the secular add ons do not change the fact it is primarily a festival to celebrate the birth of Christ
    No, it's not. It's a secular holiday celebrated for thousands of years predating Christ. Just because Christians appropriated it and moved the supposed birth of Christ by months to match the preexisting festivals doesn't mean only Christians can, do or should partake.

Christmas trees and other elements have been celebrated in this continent for about 3000 years.

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

There were winter festivals before and Christmas trees may have been around for centuries but Christmas ie 'CHRISTmas' is a Christian festival and always has been.

The fact your ideological, atheist, non conservative views as usual differ does not change that
    What about Muslims who might celebrate it as the commemorating the birth of one of the prophets of Islam?
    Some might and of course Islam is an Abrahamic religion like Christianity but it is not a Muslim festival
    Christmas is also often referred to as yule or yuletide hence the yule log. Yuletide was a pagan festival long before christians dirtied these shores
    And surely the 'resurrection' etymology derives from Nature in the spring, nothing to do with an Aramaic-speaking chap being executed by the Roman occupiers.
    Easter was the feast of Eostre for many pagans
    No it wasn’t. ‘Easter’ is in fact from ‘East,’ referring to where Christians in Europe turned to pray.

https://historyforatheists.com/2017/04/easter-ishtar-eostre-and-eggs/

The controversy reminds me somewhat of the equally fake claimed similarities between the Mithraic cult and Christianity, which were mostly invented by an American lunatic called Dorothy Murdock (although I did come across them many years earlier in the work of a Mary Stewart as well).

(Edit - I should note O’Neill, in that link, does argue that Easter is named from Eostre because it fell in the month of Eostre. But that’s not the general view among scholars.)
    There is still a lot more evidence for eostre than jesus being born on the 25th of december and pretty sure other references than bede. Will try and dig some out. Celtic beliefs however were largely an oral tradition like many others of the time and often references are hard to find unless contemporary writers from other cultures explored them
    You are moving the goalposts somewhat. I am not disputing Eostre’s existence. I am pointing out that the idea you were promoting that Easter was based on a pagan festival dedicated to her was both demonstrably false and of very recent origin.
    Then you misunderstood what I was getting at I wasn't saying that christian festivals were based upon pagan festivals. What I was saying that when christians came in they usurped the times of pagan festivals and inserted their own instead. After all can't take the jollies away and we don't want them ending up celebrating ours and their own so we replace yule with christmas, samhain with All souls, eostre with easter.

And what I am pointing out to you is that that is wrong. Easter is not at the time of a pagan festival. Falling in a month named after a goddess, if that is what happened, is different, and the timing of Easter dates from long before the English name of it!
    There has always been a pagan festival at spring equinox...remind me when easter is again
    Up to a month later.
    Easter can fall between 22 March and 25 April - 35 days in all.

Although it is true that the method of finding the date of Easter is borrowed from another religion.

In Romance languages, the connection between the Jewish and Christian holidays is explicit. The Hebrew word for Passover is Pesach. In French, Easter is Paques. In Italian it’s Pasqua. In many other languages, the word for Easter is simply a transliteration of the Greek word for Easter, Pascha. English is among the exceptions. Our word, Easter, is German in origin, though we do speak of the Passion of Christ, and have Passion plays about the events of Easter.

Pascha in Greek is itself not really a Greek word, it's just a transliteration of pesach.
    Yes, or Passover in English transliteration.
    That is not a transliteration it's a translation - pesach means leave out, omit, pass over (as in, skip the Jewish firstborn when doing the rest).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

It is Christian, hence the title, the secular add ons do not change the fact it is primarily a festival to celebrate the birth of Christ
    No, it's not. It's a secular holiday celebrated for thousands of years predating Christ. Just because Christians appropriated it and moved the supposed birth of Christ by months to match the preexisting festivals doesn't mean only Christians can, do or should partake.

Christmas trees and other elements have been celebrated in this continent for about 3000 years.

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

There were winter festivals before and Christmas trees may have been around for centuries but Christmas ie 'CHRISTmas' is a Christian festival and always has been.

The fact your ideological, atheist, non conservative views as usual differ does not change that
    What about Muslims who might celebrate it as the commemorating the birth of one of the prophets of Islam?
    Some might and of course Islam is an Abrahamic religion like Christianity but it is not a Muslim festival
    Christmas is also often referred to as yule or yuletide hence the yule log. Yuletide was a pagan festival long before christians dirtied these shores
    And surely the 'resurrection' etymology derives from Nature in the spring, nothing to do with an Aramaic-speaking chap being executed by the Roman occupiers.
    No, it represents new life and new light brought to humanity by the new-risen Son
    Only for christians and yours is mainly a borrowed and copied faith. Most of the old testament comes from gilgamesh, most of jesus's teachings are copies of buddhist philosophy. Almost all of your festivals were set by committee to mimic the festivals of those people you were trying to bring under the sway of rome.
    Rubbish, especially as Buddhism came from another part of the world
    Ah of course where buddhism is born is so far from israel and there couldnt possibly have been buddhists travelling through the middle east. The romans were in jerusalem. They knew india etc.

Your argument that christmas is a celebration of the birth of christ falls flat because pretty much every biblical scholar doesnt think its anywhere near his birthday

https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/biblical-evidence-shows-jesus-christ-wasnt-born-on-dec-25

If its so important to celebrate his birth why not do it on his birthday?
    Outside the paranoid conspiracy theories of a number of pseudoscholars like Murdoch, Carrier, Price, Fitzgerald and Dawkins, there is no evidence whatsoever of any connection in origin between Buddhism and Christianity.
    How about Catharism?
    Given that that was several centuries later then even if they were influenced by Buddhism it doesn't really refute the "there is no evidence whatsoever of any connection in origin between Buddhism and Christianity" part of the statement. (My bold).
    "However, in the East syncretism between Nestorian Christianity and Buddhism was widespread along the Silk Road in Antiquity and the Middle Ages, and was especially pronounced in the medieval Church of the East in China, as evidenced by the Jesus Sutras.[10]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_Christianity
    I quite like the theory that Akhenaten became the God of the Old Testament and all these years ever since, the Abrahamic religions have been worshipping a Pharoah :smiley:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,990

kle4 said:

What would be really depressing would be to find there is a God but that he was indeed an insecure puritanical egotistical maniac who cannot stand any dissent or non-worship of him and occasionally has strops and causes nasty things like earthquakes. He is even likely to be to be out of his creative phase as for the last 2000 year he has not even parted any seas, made people , created light or anything more original than earthquakes.

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

My understanding of God is that He exists, but He starts drinking at about 11am. Once you understand that, the entire universe is explained.
    I wouldn't be so keen myself. The Magi were astrologers, who brought gold for a king, frankincense for a prophet and myrrh for a corpse. Not exactly what every new mum wants for her baby.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    edited December 2020
    Ok, hands up those who are slightly surprised that he was still alive (until very recently)?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1334259292564807685?s=20

🙋
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

No, it represents new life and new light brought to humanity by the new-risen Son
    Only for christians and yours is mainly a borrowed and copied faith. Most of the old testament comes from gilgamesh, most of jesus's teachings are copies of buddhist philosophy. Almost all of your festivals were set by committee to mimic the festivals of those people you were trying to bring under the sway of rome.
    Ah of course where buddhism is born is so far from israel and there couldnt possibly have been buddhists travelling through the middle east. The romans were in jerusalem. They knew india etc.

Your argument that christmas is a celebration of the birth of christ falls flat because pretty much every biblical scholar doesnt think its anywhere near his birthday

https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/biblical-evidence-shows-jesus-christ-wasnt-born-on-dec-25

Outside the paranoid conspiracy theories of a number of pseudoscholars like Murdoch, Carrier, Price, Fitzgerald and Dawkins, there is no evidence whatsoever of any connection in origin between Buddhism and Christianity.
    How about Catharism?
    Given that that was several centuries later then even if they were influenced by Buddhism it doesn't really refute the "there is no evidence whatsoever of any connection in origin between Buddhism and Christianity" part of the statement. (My bold).
    "However, in the East syncretism between Nestorian Christianity and Buddhism was widespread along the Silk Road in Antiquity and the Middle Ages, and was especially pronounced in the medieval Church of the East in China, as evidenced by the Jesus Sutras.[10]"

Interesting, but still about a millennium too late to be connected to the origin of Christianity.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

I wouldn't be so keen myself. The Magi were astrologers, who brought gold for a king, frankincense for a prophet and myrrh for a corpse. Not exactly what every new mum wants for her baby.
    They were just covering all the bases ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

How about Catharism?

I quite like the theory that Akhenaten became the God of the Old Testament and all these years ever since, the Abrahamic religions have been worshipping a Pharoah :smiley:
    Point of Order. Akhenaten was not a God, he was the one true voice of the one true God, ie he was the voice of the Aten, represented as the sun, a solar and singular Divinity.

I speak as one of the few people on this board who has - I'll wager - actually been to Akhetaten, the city of the Aten, the onetime capital built by the mad pharaoh himself. It's a a totally desolate, dusty, sunburned, wildly eerie site, in a fairly dangerous and very remote part of Middle Egypt.

It's brilliant. If you ever get the chance to go, GO. But be prepared to get TOTES freaked out.
  • Options

kle4 said:

:D:D:+1:
  • Options
    TimT said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Not all Hindus do, it is not a religious festival for them and not all will do the secular festivities either
    You clearly haven't met enough Indians lol, especially the second generation types like Rishi. Christmas is pretty standard, everyone does something for it, especially with kids. Even my super religious family in the US buy a tree every year and give presents etc...
    Oh no, immigrants to a country adopting its customs and traditions. ;)
    Sandpit, I thought you lived in Dubai or somewhere in the ME. Surely you've seen how Muslim families celebrate Christmas too (as do many Jewish families I know in NYC).

* Xmas has become the universal non-denominational, secular religious celebration.
    Xmas is formed but using the Greek letter Chi, (for Christ) combined with mass as in a religious celebration. It is actually an old way of writing Christmas, and not secular at all.
    Doesn't matter what you call it, what letters you use to write it, the Christian holiday by that name has been appropriated by all and sundry to be an international secular holiday. You might still celebrate it as a religious holiday, but I'd wager that it's pretty evens globally between the Christians and non-Christians, tilting heavily in the latter's favour if you shift the agnostics into that camp.
    Personally, I am happy for it to be secular, and to stay true to my Free Church roots 😇
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    algarkirk said:

"He is of course right that Darwin destroyed any last vestige of credibility that religion ever had",

Nice try. Try by science alone, explaining: Why there is something rather than nothing. How life began. What consciousness is. Where rationality comes from. How and why if there are no purposes in the universe we have evolved to have purposes and intentions.

Some of those are silly questions, and of those that are sensible, none are really answered by inventing a Santa for adults; the problem is just relocated.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

How about Catharism?

Remember, Moses was brought up in the Egyptian tradition.

The 10 Commandments are just an edited version of the "42 Negative Confessions":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat#42_Negative_Confessions_(Papyrus_of_Ani)
  • Options
    Quincel said:

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year award descended into confusion and then farce on Wednesday after the corporation rejected a demand from the world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury to be the first ever athlete to be taken off its shortlist.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/02/im-the-peoples-champion-tyson-fury-asks-bbc-to-take-him-off-sports-personality-of-year-list

Given how 2020 has played out it's a poor year for SPOTY anyway. Hamilton is the only person on the list who has a shot.
    Hamilton is probably home and hosed and I should cash out bets on the three I've backed against him. Certainly that would be the case if the award is for the person who most dominated their sport this year. Is that the case, or is SPotY judged more along the lines of a reality television show? I don't know because I don't watch these shows (and was shocked a couple of days ago to discover Bill Bailey, odds-on to win Strictly, opened up at 33 or 50/1; what were they thinking?).

The SPotY shortlist is a bit odd. Hamilton is an obvious choice, and I predicted Hollie Doyle as our top-performing sportswoman. Is Ronnie really the best snooker player this year or is this a lifetime achievement award? What is Stuart Broad doing there rather than Anderson? Did the BBC not remember what happened last time Fury was nominated?

As for Jordan Henderson in the anyone but Marcus Rashford football slot, does his mum work at Media City? The FIFA 2020 shortlist includes no fewer than four Liverpool players who are not Henderson.
    https://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/news/nominees-for-the-best-fifa-football-awardstm-2020-revealed
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2020
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

How about Catharism?

Point of Order. Akhenaten was not a God, he was the one true voice of the one true God, ie he was the voice of the Aten, represented as the sun, a solar and singular Divinity.

I speak as one of the few people on this board who has - I'll wager - actually been to Akhetaten, the city of the Aten, the onetime capital built by the mad pharaoh himself. It's a a totally desolate, dusty, sunburned, wildly eerie site, in a fairly dangerous and very remote part of Middle Egypt.

It's brilliant. If you ever get the chance to go, GO. But be prepared to get TOTES freaked out.
    TOTES?

BTW, I am jealous that you have been there :wink: - it sounds fabulous.

So, we are all worshipping the Aten (= Sun)? It works for me. I love the sunshine :D
  • Options
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

How about Catharism?

I've not been, but I do own a copy of the opera (and I've listened to it!).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PufT63ER0uY
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see Trump has dropped below 47% pop vote share.
  • Options

Quincel said:

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year award descended into confusion and then farce on Wednesday after the corporation rejected a demand from the world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury to be the first ever athlete to be taken off its shortlist.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/02/im-the-peoples-champion-tyson-fury-asks-bbc-to-take-him-off-sports-personality-of-year-list

Given how 2020 has played out it's a poor year for SPOTY anyway. Hamilton is the only person on the list who has a shot.
    Hamilton is probably home and hosed and I should cash out bets on the three I've backed against him. Certainly that would be the case if the award is for the person who most dominated their sport this year. Is that the case, or is SPotY judged more along the lines of a reality television show? I don't know because I don't watch these shows (and was shocked a couple of days ago to discover Bill Bailey, odds-on to win Strictly, opened up at 33 or 50/1; what were they thinking?).

The SPotY shortlist is a bit odd. Hamilton is an obvious choice, and I predicted Hollie Doyle as our top-performing sportswoman. Is Ronnie really the best snooker player this year or is this a lifetime achievement award? What is Stuart Broad doing there rather than Anderson? Did the BBC not remember what happened last time Fury was nominated?

As for Jordan Henderson in the anyone but Marcus Rashford football slot, does his mum work at Media City? The FIFA 2020 shortlist includes no fewer than four Liverpool players who are not Henderson.
    https://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/news/nominees-for-the-best-fifa-football-awardstm-2020-revealed
    Ronnie did win the World Championship at 45
  • Options

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

How about Catharism?

TOTES?

BTW, I am jealous that you have been there :wink: - it sounds fabulous.

So, we are all worshipping the Aten (= Sun)? It works for me. I love the sunshine :disappointed:
    It is a marvellous place. There's literally nothing left, in this windblasted valley, of an entire ancient city, except for some spooky tombs and some bored and knackered old soldiers with antique British rifles.

The sense of eradication is haunting. The city was torn down in anger and the whole place sown with salt.

And it is surrounded by some of the most resonantly historic, mystical places in the world, like the city of Akhmim, the home of Chemistry and Alchemy and cradle of hermeticism. Just fab.

Even better, if you make it that far, you will be the only tourist. I was. I saw no one else. For several days.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,049

Quincel said:

And ended the season as #1 in the rankings despite not playing every tournament.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

algarkirk said:

You will not find any answers to those question in scripture. "God did it" explains nothing. You might as well say "Chance did it"
    Or FSM.
    Finite State Machine?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    Interesting humiliation from the German Ambassador(?) replying to Alok Sharma's tweet claiming this was a great achievement in the history of the UK. He pointed out that the manufacturing company was German and American and the product was being produced in Belgium. 'What's so difficult that the UK can't just say this is a great day for US EU co-operation and leave it at that?'

He's such an embarrassment that even Johnson slapped him down and congratulated the US/EU effort.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,716
    Looks like the USA may well hit a new record of cases and deaths today. In the case of deaths breaking a record set in April
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Looks like I've missed out on PB Theology Night.

Bring back the AV Thread, all is forgiven!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,154
    Theology — the most boring subject imaginable.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787

Quincel said:

Shows that it isn't a sport.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,105
    I see the Corbyn brothers share at least one thing - seeing losing, but not as bad as you might have, as the epitome of success.

Piers Corbyn has been found guilty of breaching coronavirus restrictions at an anti-lockdown gathering.

He was given an absolute discharge after Westminster Magistrates' Court heard he had spent 12 hours in police custody after his arrest.

Addressing supporters outside, Corbyn said it had been "a tremendous result"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55162041

If these guys ever succeeded it'd blow their minds.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,333
    edited December 2020
    PC Principle has lost another teacher...I believe that's the 4th that has gone recently over this stuff and a pupil has been sent home early for daring to write a letter complaining about it.

A teacher at Eton College has attacked the ‘progressive ideology’ that he feels pupils are being ‘indoctrinated’ with at the elite school.

Dr Luke Martin has resigned from his role as head of ‘perspectives’ classes after his colleague Will Knowland was sacked over a controversial lecture on gender roles intended for one of these lessons.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9011797/Now-theology-teacher-Eton-quits-pupils-indoctrinated.html
  • Options
    The shadow cabinet is split over whether to back a Brexit deal, as backbench Labour MPs warn that up to 60 could rebel if Keir Starmer insists they back the government rather than allowing a free vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/02/keir-starmer-faces-shadow-cabinet-split-on-support-for-brexit-deal
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    kle4 said:

I see the Corbyn brothers share at least one thing - seeing losing, but not as bad as you might have, as the epitome of success.

Piers Corbyn has been found guilty of breaching coronavirus restrictions at an anti-lockdown gathering.

He was given an absolute discharge after Westminster Magistrates' Court heard he had spent 12 hours in police custody after his arrest.

Addressing supporters outside, Corbyn said it had been "a tremendous result"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55162041

If these guys ever succeeded it'd blow their minds.

I do have to question if they can't fine this guy, a repeat offender, the £10k, is the law poorly written?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:
    American First....as somebody once said.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942

PC Principle has lost another teacher...I believe that's the 4th that has gone recently over this stuff and a pupil has been sent home early for daring to write a letter complaining about it.

A teacher at Eton College has attacked the ‘progressive ideology’ that he feels pupils are being ‘indoctrinated’ with at the elite school.

Dr Luke Martin has resigned from his role as head of ‘perspectives’ classes after his colleague Will Knowland was sacked over a controversial lecture on gender roles intended for one of these lessons.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9011797/Now-theology-teacher-Eton-quits-pupils-indoctrinated.html

A ridiculous school. Always has been.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Its why my church doesn't do theology. A bunch of abstract intellectual notions that just distract from the lived experience.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    Andy_JS said:

Certainly not, it is the foundation stone for much of our culture, heritage and philosophy
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Certainly not, it is the foundation stone for much of our culture, heritage and philosophy
    "Intellectual tennis without a net" - Daniel Dennett.
  • Options
    Roger said:

A ridiculous school. Always has been.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/01/eton-college-faces-donor-backlash-free-speech-row/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2020

Looks like I've missed out on PB Theology Night.

Bring back the AV Thread, all is forgiven!

We need calm in these difficult times. Theology doesn't provoke the intense religious passions that discussions of AV do.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    So no reason to listen to what he has to say on Ireland then? 🤔
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:
    If we ever want a trade deal with his US there is
  • Options

That's what I've been saying. If we can't enforce the rules and need time to adjust then the solution is to not enforce the rules. At least originally.

That the very idea of that seems unthinkable to many people just shows why the solution is often outside the box. If people need 6 to 12 months to adjust to the rules, give it to them.
    Building a three or six month "implementation phase" into the agreement would seem the obvious solution, but then I'm not an expert.
    It's what I'd do. I expect it will happen if there's a deal.

But the same principles will apply to no deal too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    If we ever want a trade deal with his US there is
    So we can deal with that bridge if we ever get to it. But he's saying it's not relevant to anyone so it isn't relevant to us either.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Sod an FTA with America, which would probably not be in our interest anyway; it really is not clear why it is fetishised by some Brexiteers.

The significant part is that Biden wants to invest in American research and production and we should be doing the same for ours.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    A US-UK trade deal was never the "great prize" of Brexit. To say so is nuts
  • Options
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:
    Everyone knows that it seems except the Remainder HYUFD who seems to think he knows Brexiteers better than those of us who voted Leave.
  • Options
    This could be America's worst day for deaths yet. 2800 or more

Also 30,000 new cases in Turkey.

Even as the vaccine approaches, the virus becomes more ferocious
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Its why my church doesn't do theology. A bunch of abstract intellectual notions that just distract from the lived experience.
    Precisely why I stayed out of the Buddhist chat.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:
    Though some people on here got very tearful when Obama poured cold water on it.
  • Options
    Trump sure drives turnout. From an admittedly pathetic low.
    One, and only one, positive contribution he has made to US democracy.
  • Options
    LadyG said:
    Eddie Large?
  • Options

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:
    Everyone knows that it seems except the Remainder HYUFD who seems to think he knows Brexiteers better than those of us who voted Leave.
    Without an EU trade deal we have to have a US trade deal, we cannot afford no trade deal with our 2 largest markets.

This simply makes a Deal with the EU even more necessary
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    LadyG said:
    I think so, albeit he was 94.

He was very elitist and an EU Federalist but economically sensible and socially moderate, he was also rumoured to have had an affair with Princess Diana though he denied it.

He 'met every British leader from Edward Heath – the only one he described as a 'true European' – to David Cameron.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9011929/Valery-Giscard-dEstaing-dies-aged-94-amid-investigation-sexually-assaulted-journalist.html
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

How about Catharism?

I've not been, but I do own a copy of the opera (and I've listened to it!).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PufT63ER0uY
    Not been to Aten, but was shown around the Egyptian Museum privately by the curator, who took particular pride in showing us Akhenaten's sarcophagus
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LadyG said:
    I think so, albeit he was 94.

He was very elitist and an EU Federalist but economically sensible and socially moderate, he was also rumoured to have had an affair with Princess Diana though he denied it.

He 'met every British leader from Edward Heath – the only one he described as a 'true European' – to David Cameron.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9011929/Valery-Giscard-dEstaing-dies-aged-94-amid-investigation-sexually-assaulted-journalist.html
    Interestingly he was descended from Louis XVth through his mother and Charlemagne through his father

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valéry_Giscard_d'Estaing
  • Options
    So the UK had more than double the number of Trump supporters percentage wise as the District of Columbia did

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1323645393419313155?s=20
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:
    That seems a completely misleading quote from Tom Newton Dunn.

The NY Times article does not mention Brexit. The quote clearly refers to his China policy.

The article explicitly says:

"On foreign policy, Biden made two significant points. First, I asked him whether he stood by his views on the Iran nuclear deal .... blah, blah, blah for many paras ....

"On China, he said he would not act immediately to remove the 25 percent tariffs ... blah, blah, blah for many paras and then ... I want to make sure we’re going to fight like hell by investing in America first,” said Biden. He ticked off energy, biotech, advanced materials and artificial intelligence as areas ripe for large-scale government investment in research. “I’m not going to enter any new trade agreement with anybody until we have made major investments here at home and in our workers and in education."
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:
    Without an EU trade deal we have to have a US trade deal, we cannot afford no trade deal with our 2 largest markets.

Of course we can afford to do so.

The idea we can't is the same Project Fear nonsense that led to you voting Remain in the first place.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

The idea we can't is the same Project Fear nonsense that led to you voting Remain in the first place.
    48% of our exports go to the EU and 18% to the US, if we end up with heavy tariffs on our exports to the former after a No Deal Brexit and still tariffs on our exports to the latter with no US trade deal on top of the impact of lockdown our economy might well enter the worst depression since the 1930s

• Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

How about Catharism?

Interesting, but still about a millennium too late to be connected to the origin of Christianity.
    The Magi were from the East, and were likely to be Zoroastrian, Hindu, or Buddhist.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

48% of our exports go to the EU and 18% to the US, if we end up with heavy tariffs on our exports to the former after a No Deal Brexit and still tariffs on our exports to the latter with no US trade deal on top of the impact of lockdown our economy might well enter the worst depression since the 1930s

And what about our imports ?

Perhaps you can also tell us what the UK trade balance has been in the last twenty years.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

Surely, ONE of these three so-called wise men would have brought shoes?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

That's just Project Fear rehashed with the banality added that if Brexit was going to cause a depression then somehow a US deal would magic away all the pain.

If leaving the EU without a deal was going to cause a depression then that would happen with or without a deal with the USA. The USA was never under any circumstances a safety net alternative.

Those who think we could or should leave without a deal do so because they believe the UK will be ok without one. Not because they think it will bring about a depression there but for the grace of the USA.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    edited December 2020

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

Surely, ONE of these three so-called wise men would have brought shoes?
    It's possible they weren't even men...

https://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/02/10/uk.magi.reut/

" LONDON, England (Reuters) -- The Three Wise Men who followed the star to Bethlehem bearing gifts for the baby Jesus may not have been all that wise -- or even men.

The traditional infant nativity play scene could be in for a drastic rewrite after the Church of England indulged in some academic gender-swapping over the three Magi at its General Synod in London this week.

A committee revising the latest prayer book said the term "Magi" was a transliteration of the name used by officials at the Persian court, and that they could well have been women. "
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Intellectual tennis without a net" - Daniel Dennett.
    Intellectual marbles without the marbles, more like.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,959
    edited December 2020
    Ally_B1 said:

algarkirk said:

Four years ago my wife and I were at a Christian convention in Singapore where there were people praying for the sick. She said to me "go and ask them to pray for your tinnitus to go". I grumpily said "several people have done that already and I still have it". Her response was "well get them to pray for your little finger". (Here you need to know that, as a former 5-a-side goalkeeper, during my career I had several fingers dislocated but one of them I could only half close before it would lock). With zero expectation that anything good would come of this, apart from keeping my wife happy, i allowed the person praying to put their hand over my finger and pray for it to be healed in Jesus name. They let go of my hand and asked me to close the finger and it did. I flexed my hand, my finger and just starred at it. I could never fully close it after it had been dislocated but since then, for the last five years I have never had a problem in doing so.

Everytime I read this sort of discussion I just look at my right hand and close that finger. I don't say Darwin is wrong, I don't think the Earth was formed in Genesis timescales but I do think there is something else having an impact on our lives and I will leave it at that.
    A friend of mine had a son with a very strange and distressing medical condition where he was completely unable to walk or move without pain after an ankle injury. He was off school for months. He had endless medical appointments and nobody could work out what was wrong, although all sorts of nasty things were investigated. Eventually he met with a doctor who had seen this before, and with a simple distraction - getting him to concentrate on something else so that he walked without thinking about it - it was all pretty much cured. He had become so focussed on the actual action of walking because of the original injury that it became very stiff, mechanical, and thus painful.

I would bet on your finger injury being similar. There's a medical name for it that I can't quite recall. Perhaps Foxy might know.

• Options
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.