Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Covid Whack-A-Mole – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited December 2020
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Updated Electoral Calculus forecast. Gives Con+DUP slightly more seats than Lab+SNP.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

But Lab+SNP+LD is more than Con+DUP, making Ed Davey Kingmaker
    This is before boundary changes which will probably give the Tories an extra 10 to 15 seats.
    The projected (notional) effect is rather tasty. Tories + 15, Labour -9, Lib Dems -5 (ouch!), DUP +2, SF -2. The Tories would then have to lose a notional 58 seats next time not to have a working majority, and 68 to be beyond the ability of the DUP to keep them in power.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/boundaries2023.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Roger said:

Ironic that a Turk is the most applauded individual for producing the Covid vaccine yet Johnson did his level best to keep them out.

The story of Uğur Şahin is most inspiring. Moved to Germany from Turkey at the age of 4 with his mum to join his dad, who was working as a "guest worker" at a Ford factory in Cologne. Star pupil at school, became a doctor, mathematician and research scientist. Goes on to found his own biotech company, becomes a billionaire, and then leads the development of a world-saving Covid-19 vaccine.

I bet he doesn't drink Carling Black Label, though.
    He was asked - how did you celebrate. Answered - with a cup of tea with my wife.

We sure he’s German? That’s about as English as it’s possible to get without actually mentioning the weather.
    Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people don't drink tea?
    Not to mention the rest of the Irish.
    Quite - I suppose even calling it 'British' is a stretch - though more accurate.
    You have plainly never been to Turkey. Calling it "Turkish" would be more accurate still.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

MaxPB said:

JVT makes point that the Phase 1 priority list once vaccinated will protect 99% of those who are in the demographic who have died so far.

Johnson declines Express suggestion that Brexit got us the approval faster, instead emphasising the international nature of the work.

As I pointed out this morning, it's just unnecessary. Celebrate that we're going to finally beat this bastard disease, celebrate that we're going to start the programme in December, no need to gloat that we're first or second or whatever. It's a really awful look and all of those people pushing that narrative should be ashamed. There's going to be a lot of hardship for a huge number of developing nations in the next few years as the west looks to its own (rightly so) gloating about how we are first is unnecessarily abrasive.
    No idea why you're coming on so strong about what is essentially a bald statement of fact. We changed/diverged from the current EU regs to allow the vaccine to be approved more quickly - it was approved more quickly. So far, so logical. The idea that it is 'shameful' to point this out is frankly bizarre. I recall no shame being heaped on people when they argued that declining to be part of the EU vaccine programme was endangering peoples' lives by delaying the acquisition of vaccine supplies.
    Except loads of people did condemn it at the time and also pointed out that it was probably going to be the other way around with the UK securing faster deliveries.

My point is that gloating isn't a good look either way around. I'm sure that the remainers would be doing it if it was Germany starting their programme next week and the UK waiting until January but it speaks more about them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Updated Electoral Calculus forecast. Gives Con+DUP slightly more seats than Lab+SNP.

Gosh. Heavy would be the Ed who wore that crown.
    The full current Electoral Calculus prediction based on the average of the latest polls is Con 307 and DUP 8 = 315 combined but
    Labour 255 and SNP 58 and LDs 7 = 320 combined.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,560
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Roger said:

Ironic that a Turk is the most applauded individual for producing the Covid vaccine yet Johnson did his level best to keep them out.

The story of Uğur Şahin is most inspiring. Moved to Germany from Turkey at the age of 4 with his mum to join his dad, who was working as a "guest worker" at a Ford factory in Cologne. Star pupil at school, became a doctor, mathematician and research scientist. Goes on to found his own biotech company, becomes a billionaire, and then leads the development of a world-saving Covid-19 vaccine.

I bet he doesn't drink Carling Black Label, though.
    He was asked - how did you celebrate. Answered - with a cup of tea with my wife.

We sure he’s German? That’s about as English as it’s possible to get without actually mentioning the weather.
    Look at this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tea_consumption_per_capita

Look which country heads it. We don't just share St George.
    Everybody’s taking my slightly xenophobic joke about the English far too seriously.

Time to get controversial:
    https://youtu.be/7IZJjLpNEbE
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:
    Does Richi go anywhere without his personal photographer?
    Thought 1: I hope this is for Rishi himself, otherwise he's just spoilt the surprise for (at least one of) his kids.
    Thought 2: His kids will also now know that it's Rishi, not Santa, who buys the presents
    Thought 3: Unless 'kids' refers to everyone's kids and Rishi is in fact Santa?
    Rishi and his wife are Hindu anyway, the family might not even celebrate Christmas.

The caption just said he was picking up presents, not that they were Christmas presents
    Why do you think they might not even celebrate Christmas?
    Not all Hindus do, it is not a religious festival for them and not all will do the secular festivities either
    It’s not a religious festival for us, either. It’s annoying the way some people always try to bring religion into Christmas. Why spoil a perfectly good pagan festival that was around long before some underemployed shepherds started overdosing on Middle Eastern mushrooms?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:
    Thought 1: I hope this is for Rishi himself, otherwise he's just spoilt the surprise for (at least one of) his kids.
    Thought 2: His kids will also now know that it's Rishi, not Santa, who buys the presents
    Rishi and his wife are Hindu anyway, the family might not even celebrate Christmas.

The caption just said he was picking up presents, not that they were Christmas presents
    Because he's from the 17th century and thinks Christmas is Christian.
    It is Christian, hence the title, the secular add ons do not change the fact it is primarily a festival to celebrate the birth of Christ
    No, it's not. It's a secular holiday celebrated for thousands of years predating Christ. Just because Christians appropriated it and moved the supposed birth of Christ by months to match the preexisting festivals doesn't mean only Christians can, do or should partake.

Christmas trees and other elements have been celebrated in this continent for about 3000 years.

Christian my arse.
    Secular 'holy day' - great argument there champ.
    So which religion do bank holidays belong to?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

It is Christian, hence the title, the secular add ons do not change the fact it is primarily a festival to celebrate the birth of Christ
    No, it's not. It's a secular holiday celebrated for thousands of years predating Christ. Just because Christians appropriated it and moved the supposed birth of Christ by months to match the preexisting festivals doesn't mean only Christians can, do or should partake.

Christmas trees and other elements have been celebrated in this continent for about 3000 years.

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

There were winter festivals before and Christmas trees may have been around for centuries but Christmas ie 'CHRISTmas' is a Christian festival and always has been.

The fact your ideological, atheist, non conservative views as usual differ does not change that
    The Reformed Protestant tradition, as seen in Scotland, and in my view regrettably lapsed, is that Christmas is most certainly not a Christian festival, but an abomination.
    That tradition as also seen with Oliver Cromwell of the most diehard Puritans did not believe in any festivities of any kind ever, that does not change the fact 'Christ's Mass' came in as a Christian festival via the Catholic Church and continued to be celebrated by the Church of England, despite the brief Cromwellian interlude
    The point I am making is that one does not need to celebrate Christmas to be a Christian. So you can't call it a Christian festival. You could call it a "Henrician Settlement Swap-the-Pope-for-Her Maj" gestival if you really must.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Not all Hindus do, it is not a religious festival for them and not all will do the secular festivities either
    It’s not a religious festival for us, either. It’s annoying the way some people always try to bring religion into Christmas. Why spoil a perfectly good pagan festival that was around long before some underemployed shepherds started overdosing on Middle Eastern mushrooms?
    There were pagan winter festivals but Christmas by its very name ie literally 'Christ's Mass' is a Christian festival
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I would like to rescind my acknowledgement of the early Pfizer vaccine approval as a potential benefit of Brexit, as I now see that this is fake news. Kicking myself for the elementary mistake of believing anything the government says.

Standard EU MO isn't it? Get called on something, say 'No no no, every member state has the right!' - yet strangely enough none have used it. It will be nice (and is already nice) to be unequivocally outside the purview of such laws/regulations/recommendations/helpful hints, so that it's absolutely clear who is responsible for fuck ups as and when they occur.
    Yet both No 10 and the MHRA have contradicted Hancock on this so I am surprised to see you still buying it. The EU's slightly more thorough vetting procedure doesn't look that stupid considering public scepticism about vaccines. Mind you, I won't be getting the vaccine for months, if at all, so I'm not especially fussed either way. By the time I get it I imagine any issues will have been identified.
    In theory, every single EU law and regulation is implemented at a member state level, and policed by domestic agencies, so it is all national law, with zero responsibility by the EU. In practice for reasons that remain shrouded in mystery, every other member state has not approved this vaccine using their 'emergency powers' and we have. The surprise I have that that's how the cookie has crumbled is zero.

A similar issue would be lack of dredging rivers, contributing to massive flooding. Dredging is made nearly impossible if EU regulations concerning it are implemented fully - yet when floods come and protest is raised, the EU claims that it's all down to national Governments and agencies, and we can all dredge as much as we like. Again - whatever. I'm just glad we're out of it and we can un-elect Governments who have crap policies.

I voted to leave, but who knows whether this is a good example of what you cite or not. If our hospitals & ICUs start to fill up with people suffering from unrecognised side-effects, it won't look such a good idea to have been ahead of the curve in wide-spread vaccination.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

There were winter festivals before and Christmas trees may have been around for centuries but Christmas ie 'CHRISTmas' is a Christian festival and always has been.

The fact your ideological, atheist, non conservative views as usual differ does not change that
    The Reformed Protestant tradition, as seen in Scotland, and in my view regrettably lapsed, is that Christmas is most certainly not a Christian festival, but an abomination.
    That tradition was also seen with Oliver Cromwell as the most diehard Puritans did not believe in any festivities of any kind ever, that does not change the fact 'Christ's Mass' came in as a Christian festival via the Catholic Church and continued to be celebrated by the Church of England, despite the brief Cromwellian interlude
    And if you are getting all het up about names, don't bother looking up the A/S derivation of 'Easter'.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

What about Muslims who might celebrate it as the commemorating the birth of one of the prophets of Islam?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    So which religion do bank holidays belong to?
    Mammon and Baal, of course.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Other than using physical force or drugs, how does one "entrap" someone into being stark bollock naked at a gangbang?
    Hasn't he admitted it, apologised and resigned anyway?
    Bait and switch.

You tell him the gang bang is heterosexual in nature then bam you bring out the dudes.
    'I had no idea who was at the other side of that gloryhole'
    We've all been there.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    What do we think is more likely?

a) that the vaccine means that over time the tier system is maintained for a bit longer into spring/summer but ultimately the trend is for local areas to all generally move down to the lowest tiers (potentially at the same time as the restrictions of each tier gradually get looser and/or reclassified), or;

b) the tier system is generally just abandoned at some point when sufficient vaccination has been carried out (and/or noone will vote for it any longer) with nothing formal in place other than a nod/general guidance to maintaining 2m and masks for a bit longer until ultimately those are no longer required, or;

c) some other ultimate pathway back to normality?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

That tradition as also seen with Oliver Cromwell of the most diehard Puritans did not believe in any festivities of any kind ever, that does not change the fact 'Christ's Mass' came in as a Christian festival via the Catholic Church and continued to be celebrated by the Church of England, despite the brief Cromwellian interlude
    The point I am making is that one does not need to celebrate Christmas to be a Christian. So you can't call it a Christian festival. You could call it a "Henrician Settlement Swap-the-Pope-for-Her Maj" gestival if you really must.
    It is a Christian festival, especially for Catholics who make up 50.1% of Christians worldwide ie the majority and Anglicans and Orthodox Christians.

• Options
    When they say ‘voluntary,’ in what sense? Will people given *the* choice to have it, or *a* choice, one option of which is to have the fecking vaccine?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

What about Muslims who might celebrate it as the commemorating the birth of one of the prophets of Islam?
    Some might and of course Islam is an Abrahamic religion like Christianity but it is not a Muslim festival
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

Pro_Rata said:

geoffw said:

In the early 60s (I think), Elvis was vaccinated with the Salk polio vaccine on live tv. Apparently that was a major boost to the vaccination campaign.

Let's get the right people for the job at each phase: Attenborough and HMQ.
    Expanding on your list, TV vaccination dream team: Attenborough, HMQ, Prince William, Chris Whitty, Martin Lewis, Marcus Rashford & Deborah Meaden
    I actually detest the whole 'trust me' approach - whether we are supposed to trust Boris, Whitty, our GP, the Queen, or Deborah Meaden. Have we not considered simply explaining what's in the vaccine, and how it works, to people? List the ingredients. Tell people what they are and why they're there. Give people a simple, graphic explanation, of how the vaccine makes the immune system respond, and the protection it offers.

At the moment we're largely in two camps - those who don't understand how the vaccine works but trust it, and those who don't understand how the vaccine works, and don't trust it.

There's a lot of sneering about 'low information voters', but we seem to think the right approach to this is finding the right celebrity figure to stupify them with.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited December 2020
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

If he has just lost a bunch of seats in boundary changes, that is REALLY going to give him a mandate to govern.....
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Other than using physical force or drugs, how does one "entrap" someone into being stark bollock naked at a gangbang?
    Bait and switch.

You tell him the gang bang is heterosexual in nature then bam you bring out the dudes.
    We've all been there.
    Speak for yourself, Mr Eagles...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

There were pagan winter festivals but Christmas by its very name ie literally 'Christ's Mass' is a Christian festival
    I think we should celebrate Sir Isaac Newton's Birthday instead.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

As a very devout if somewhat unorthodox Christian, he would strongly disapprove of that idea.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,993
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

I agree, my own Noncoformist Church thinks such festivals are idolatrous, and that the birth of Christ should be celebrated everyday. A bit like Roy Wood.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

If he has just lost a bunch of seats in boundary changes, that is REALLY going to give him a mandate to govern.....
    Not just govern, my friend. STV with no referendum for all future elections for starters.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Nah it isn't. It's a celebration of capitalism. Huzzah!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

They haven't picked up on the German health minister's point - the EU decided to approve vaccines collectively - unanimously or by QMV? If the latter, then Brexit may have played a role in expediting UK approval.

I think you've misconstrued his point. He said that any EU member could have unilaterally given emergency authorisation but they haven't done this.
    What, so any of the 27 could have chosen to be "nimble" but they collectively choose to be "sclerotic" instead?
    Yes, plus they lack the strength, skills and expertise of our independent MHRA.
    Can picture you bashing that one out, superior jingoey expression on face.
    You're weird.

Its just a matter of fact.
    I'm just intuiting that you would enjoy typing out such a sentence, that's all.

"They lack the X Y and Z that we have in such abundance."

Where X and Y and Z are Good Things.
    You ask a question, you get an answer, then you question people's motives for the answer. Its just the truth.

Our MHRA was already very before Brexit which is in part why the EMA was based in the UK, this is a sector in which the UK does well like the Germans do car manufacturing well.

As a consequence of Brexit the MHRA was expanding to take over functions currently the responsibility of the EMA. Also as the EU chose to relocate the EMA overseas many experienced EMA staff switched to the MHRA. See this article from the end of 2019: https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2019/10/ema-staff-losses-tick-up-as-workload-increases
    I didn't ask the question. Someone else did. I just saw your answer and skipped straight to the probing your motives stage. Or to be strictly accurate - speculating on your facial expression when you type something which you find particularly pleasing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Bait and switch.

We've all been there.
    Speak for yourself, Mr Eagles...
    Did you hear about the undercover cop who uncovered a glory hole in a public toilet?

Turns out he received an anonymous tip.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

I have a question about Muslim birthdays: are they celebrated using the western, solar calendar or the Islamic Lunar one? I would want to go with the lunar version as it means less time between birthdays.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

A long as its not Justin Trudeau's.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

It is a Christian festival, especially for Catholics who make up 50.1% of Christians worldwide ie the majority and Anglicans and Orthodox Christians.

You're moving the goalposts again. We were talking about UK (or England if you prefer).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

As a very devout if somewhat unorthodox Christian, he would strongly disapprove of that idea.
    That was supposed to be a joke based on when his birthday is.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited December 2020

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

I have a question about Muslim birthdays: are they celebrated using the western, solar calendar or the Islamic Lunar one? I would want to go with the lunar version as it means less time between birthdays.
    By the Gregorian calendar.

Moving it to the lunar calendar would be a pain for me.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I would like to rescind my acknowledgement of the early Pfizer vaccine approval as a potential benefit of Brexit, as I now see that this is fake news. Kicking myself for the elementary mistake of believing anything the government says.

Standard EU MO isn't it? Get called on something, say 'No no no, every member state has the right!' - yet strangely enough none have used it. It will be nice (and is already nice) to be unequivocally outside the purview of such laws/regulations/recommendations/helpful hints, so that it's absolutely clear who is responsible for fuck ups as and when they occur.
    Yet both No 10 and the MHRA have contradicted Hancock on this so I am surprised to see you still buying it. The EU's slightly more thorough vetting procedure doesn't look that stupid considering public scepticism about vaccines. Mind you, I won't be getting the vaccine for months, if at all, so I'm not especially fussed either way. By the time I get it I imagine any issues will have been identified.
    In theory, every single EU law and regulation is implemented at a member state level, and policed by domestic agencies, so it is all national law, with zero responsibility by the EU. In practice for reasons that remain shrouded in mystery, every other member state has not approved this vaccine using their 'emergency powers' and we have. The surprise I have that that's how the cookie has crumbled is zero.

A similar issue would be lack of dredging rivers, contributing to massive flooding. Dredging is made nearly impossible if EU regulations concerning it are implemented fully - yet when floods come and protest is raised, the EU claims that it's all down to national Governments and agencies, and we can all dredge as much as we like. Again - whatever. I'm just glad we're out of it and we can un-elect Governments who have crap policies.

I voted to leave, but who knows whether this is a good example of what you cite or not. If our hospitals & ICUs start to fill up with people suffering from unrecognised side-effects, it won't look such a good idea to have been ahead of the curve in wide-spread vaccination.

Good evening, everyone.
    Evening. It would only be a bad idea if the EU agency declines to approve the vaccine in question, and is proved correct. If it approves the vaccine, just later, then it just means UK people are first in line to have their extra nipples removed, or to come to terms with their new green colour.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Lennon said:

Technically I believe that the 95% efficacy claimed is for 7 days post 2nd shot - but this clearly isn't going to be binary - it's not like your body will be utterly susceptible 6days post the second shot but overnight the magic happens. From other vaccines which have a 2nd 'booster' shot type approach the general rule of thumb seems to be 1st shot gets you to something like 60% efficacy, 2nd shot takes you over 90% - and again, in both cases that's likely to be growing curve from injection to day X (and no idea what shape the curve is)

My concern is people will think one shot makes them immune and that needs to be communicated especially to the first groups of people who have lived in fear of the virus since last spring. For them, and I count myself among that group, vaccination means liberation except it doesn't immediately.
  • Options

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Thank you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

The weirdest thing is how, in the US, which is stuffed full of religious nuts and where the average person often needs to pretend to be religious if they have any sort of public role, wishing people ‘Happy Christmas’ is deemed potentially dodgy and shunned in favour of ‘Season’s Greetings’ or ‘Happy Holidays’ and the like, whereas in the UK where a majority of people dismiss religion as made up nonsense, we’re all quite happy to go wishing everyone ‘Merry Xmas’.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Roger said:

I think if we want to boost the vaccine campaign, all those celebs that broke lockdown should be forced to have it live on tv....

Do you think watching Cummings having a shot on TV would make squeamish feel safer?
    Cummings BEING shot on TV..........
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

You're moving the goalposts again. We were talking about UK (or England if you prefer).
    Where it is also called Christmas ie 'CHRISTmas'
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Fenman said:

kinabalu said:

Not again! I've covered this point so many times and I really am getting sick of constantly having to repeat myself on here.

Scotch eggs can be quite filling.

It's Masterchef tonight. Chef's challenge? Make a Scotch Egg into a meal.
    Worcester sauce. I personally wouldn't bulk it up any more than that. Doesn't need it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Why are you spelling "Xmas" wrong?
  • Options

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Thank you.
    TBH a lot of Muslims want to move everything to the Gregorian calendar, Ramadan is intolerable when you have to fast in July, very tolerable when you have to fast in December.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Going to mass may be Christian if you want to do those religious trimmings. That's your choice and I respect it.

The many thousands of years old secular holiday itself: trees, presents, elves, family, food and so on ... That is for everyone. Especially children not Christ.

You may not care about my non Christian views but in my house we have a Christmas Tree 🎄, multiple Santa decorations 🎅, tinsel, garlands, other decorations ⛄, a couple of mischievous elves on shelves 🧝, chocolate calendars 🍫 . . . And most important and most magical of all two young girls who are counting down the days until Christmas. 👧👧

There's nothing the slightest bit religious about any of that. There is a lot of magic in our household though. You go to Church if you want to, but my daughter's can perfectly happily enjoy the magic of Christmas without any of your preaching.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

On exactly that logic, Easter is a Germanic pagan festival and not a Christian one at all: Easter being the pagan goddess of spring.

Which dio you want, Christmas or Easter? You can't have both on your very own logic.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

I never knew the date. That is interesting, but he would still disapprove.

You and I, having our wonderful jokes misunderstood and malappreciated. Ah well, as teachers we’re used to it of course.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

The weirdest thing is how, in the US, which is stuffed full of religious nuts and where the average person often needs to pretend to be religious if they have any sort of public role, wishing people ‘Happy Christmas’ is deemed potentially dodgy and shunned in favour of ‘Season’s Greetings’ or ‘Happy Holidays’ and the like, whereas in the UK where a majority of people dismiss religion as made up nonsense, we’re all quite happy to go wishing everyone ‘Merry Xmas’.
    True but the USA has never been a Catholic majority country, the Mayflower was comprised of stern Puritans and it remains a plurality Protestant country, England was a Catholic majority country until the 16th century and the Anglican Church is an heir to that tradition
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

I met a girl called Xtal (Christal) once. I am aware the 't' is redundant, but that's how her folks had decided to spell it.
  • Options
    I'd be curious to see a poll of PBers to see what most PBers think is more important for Christmas and this time of year: Children or Christ.

I think it is for my and others children. I suspect a lot of people here would care for their grandchildren at this time of year.
  • Options
    On Christmas being a Christian holiday: how many here would normally go to church on Christmas day? Midnight Mass counts, watching Nine Lessons from King's does not.
  • Options

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Thank you.
    TBH a lot of Muslims want to move everything to the Gregorian calendar, Ramadan is intolerable when you have to fast in July, very tolerable when you have to fast in December.
    Bit of a bugger for the Southern Hemisphere if it was fixed in December though.
  • Options

I'd be curious to see a poll of PBers to see what most PBers think is more important for Christmas and this time of year: Children or Christ.

I think it is for my and others children. I suspect a lot of people here would care for their grandchildren at this time of year.

For me - my parents (now alas gone).
  • Options
    This explains Christmas perfectly.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

On exactly that logic, Easter is a Germanic pagan festival and not a Christian one at all: Easter being the pagan goddess of spring.

Which dio you want, Christmas or Easter? You can't have both on your very own logic.
    Easter also has its origins in the German word Ostern too derived from the Teutonic form of auferstehung ie resurrection
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

True but the USA has never been a Catholic majority country, the Mayflower was comprised of stern Puritans and it remains a plurality Protestant country, England was a Catholic majority country until the 16th century and the Anglican Church is an heir to that tradition
    When we encouraged all our religious nuts to go seek their future in a new world, we might perhaps have thought a little further ahead, to be sure.
  • Options

On Christmas being a Christian holiday: how many here would normally go to church on Christmas day? Midnight Mass counts, watching Nine Lessons from King's does not.

Does being paid to go because you’re a professional organist count?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

The majority of people don't dismiss religion as made up nonsense. I think Christianity just passed from being the majority belief, but combined with other faiths and those who 'believe in God/something', I'm pretty sure that will be the majority. The Dawkinsites are louder though, I'll grant them that.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

a) that the vaccine means that over time the tier system is maintained for a bit longer into spring/summer but ultimately the trend is for local areas to all generally move down to the lowest tiers (potentially at the same time as the restrictions of each tier gradually get looser and/or reclassified), or;

b) the tier system is generally just abandoned at some point when sufficient vaccination has been carried out (and/or noone will vote for it any longer) with nothing formal in place other than a nod/general guidance to maintaining 2m and masks for a bit longer until ultimately those are no longer required, or;

I think option 1 and every area just ends up in tier 1 around about March and eventually a tier 0 will be created to accommodate those places with very little transmission.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Thank you.
    It buggers up Australians?

Should I assay remorse?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Thank you.
    It buggers up Australians?

Should I assay remorse?
    Well, you might get a Chile reception to that idea, even though it buggers the Australians.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

The majority of people don't dismiss religion as made up nonsense. I think Christianity just passed from being the majority belief, but combined with other faiths and those who 'believe in God/something', I'm pretty sure that will be the majority. The Dawkinsites are louder though, I'll grant them that.
    Dawkins has now been cancelled too by the Woke crowd
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"To really get the economy moving, give private sector Londoners priority for the vaccine

Anyone who commutes to work by tube should arguably take preference over retired 70 year-olds living in suburbs who rarely mix in crowds
    Ross Clark" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/02/really-get-economy-moving-give-private-sector-londoners-priority/

As suggested on pb the other day, take advantage of the easiest logistics. Give out the jabs at workplaces: Hospitals; care homes; schools; universities; office blocks; factories; shops. For the rest, do what we do with flu jabs.
  • Options

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Thank you.
    March might be best. It would have an equal effect in both hemispheres.
    Having said that there are very few inhabited areas as far south of the equator as the UK is north of it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

When they say ‘voluntary,’ in what sense? Will people given *the* choice to have it, or *a* choice, one option of which is to have the fecking vaccine?
    Given Russians are least likely to want a vaccine of countries surveyed....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,811
    MaxPB said:

I think option 1 and every area just ends up in tier 1 around about March and eventually a tier 0 will be created to accommodate those places with very little transmission.
    The interesting question is what happens when the vaccine starts to kick in for the older and more vulnerable population - so hospitalisations and deaths should plummet, while infections are still there.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Thank you, I didn't know that, and I'm inclined to the same view.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

You and I, having our wonderful jokes misunderstood and malappreciated. Ah well, as teachers we’re used to it of course.
    Very true. I have at least three jokes, and I normally don't repeat them more than twice a lesson and they still don't laugh.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    South Dakota's reported deaths of 47 today is equivalent to a reported toll of 3600 here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

No he hasn't. Only by a few weirdos on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

That does depend on which data you use. The census (now nine years old) does show a majority of Brits, just, describing themselves as Christian. But the Social Attitudes Survey reached a majority describing themselves of no religious belief back in 2013, and opinion polls put those who are not religious or not very religious up at around 75%, with some surveys putting those as not religious above 50%.

The bottom line is that the significantly religious folk in the UK are in a distinct minority, with the only debate being how many among the majority are fixed on having no religion, and how many are willing to tick a box as Christian without being willing to do very much more.
  • Options

A substantial meal is a very old and established term in licensing laws. Its been used for decades for example with regards to serving alcohol in restaurants to 16 and 17 year olds.

Pratting around with loopholes is just stupid. Restaurants and pubs and customers know what the rules are as much as people in the media put of affectations of idiocy.

If the rules are so well known why did the police get confused about pizza and Cabinet Ministers disagree about scotch eggs? And if as you say these are long-established rules then why not provide cheat sheets to ministers and the media?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Given Russians are least likely to want a vaccine of countries surveyed....
    In one of Terry Pratchett’s books, a minor character is noted as having been convicted by Lord Vetinari of a crime and choosing of his own free will to become a spy.

In a footnote, it is noted the alternative was to choose of his own free will to be flung into a scorpion pit.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Very true. I have at least three jokes, and I normally don't repeat them more than twice a lesson and they still don't laugh.
    I’m always really encouraged when they tell me I’ve told a joke before.

It shows the little gits do listen even if it doesn’t always seem like it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

I met a girl called Xtal (Christal) once. I am aware the 't' is redundant, but that's how her folks had decided to spell it.
    Were they on meth?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

I’m always really encouraged when they tell me I’ve told a joke before.

It shows the little gits do listen even if it doesn’t always seem like it.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

IanB2 said:

Ian's right, though - the striking deference to religious diversity in the US compared with here is quite strange, although atheist friends in the US say it's not always easy.

I think that most religious people in Britain, other than the nutters, feel a certain fellowship with followers of other beliefs. My first Xmas card when I lived in Broxtowe was always from devout Muslim friends; another was so alarmed by attacks on synagogues that he offered to organise a protective cordon of Muslims around the local one. Conversely I have Christian friends who feel real kinship with devoted Muslims who try to live by their faith, unlike us heathens.

They all know that I think they're all deluded, and they think the same of me. As we don't insist on going on about it, it doesn't stop the friendships. But I don't think any of them see Christmas as much more than an artificial family festivity.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes.
    Then I would normally go at least twice, frequently three or four times.
  • Options
    This is looking to me like the most likely outcome in the short term, with Boris simply dithering his way into not actually making a decision:

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1334205249888935938

So fasten your seatbelts for a very bumpy ride in January. The UK has barely started preparations for the jolt, and our EU friends won't be falling over themselves to be helpful, especially if Boris plays further silly buggers with the Internal Market Bill and next week's Finance Bill.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    edited December 2020
    Late to the party, but this is actually disappointing, since they had 3 in less than 12 months, and could have had 4 in about 15 if they had wanted, so this is not as great as it could have been.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Trinity College Dublin is 'a few weirdos on Twitter'? Who knew?

http://www.universitytimes.ie/2020/09/the-hist-will-not-be-moving-ahead-with-richard-dawkins-address/
  • Options

This is looking to me like the most likely outcome in the short term, with Boris simply dithering his way into not actually making a decision:

So fasten your seatbelts for a very bumpy ride in January. The UK has barely started preparations for the jolt, and our EU friends won't be falling over themselves to be helpful, especially if Boris plays further silly buggers with the Internal Market Bill and next week's Finance Bill.

I think that was the reason he wanted to put into law that there would be no extension. He was worried that if he didn't then the EU would drag things out to force an extension and then repeat.

Please note I'm not saying it was the right course, but I think that is the reason behind it.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    Oh yes it is.

Some might and of course Islam is an Abrahamic religion like Christianity but it is not a Muslim festival
    Christmas is also often referred to as yule or yuletide hence the yule log. Yuletide was a pagan festival long before christians dirtied these shores
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes.
    Then I would normally go at least twice, frequently three or four times.
    That's more than me, but I just sing in the choir.
  • Options

That's not dithering, it's standing firm and making a decision. To do nothing is to make a decision to do nothing.

The EU may think they are masters of the long game but if the EU don't blink first and he doesn't either then he will be doing exactly what I want him to do.

He will be doing what is quintessentially British: Keep calm and carry on.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    @Hyufd if you are a tradionalist you should be celebrating on january the 6th rather than the politicised date

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/people-cultures-in-the-bible/jesus-historical-jesus/how-december-25-became-christmas/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    edited December 2020

twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1334205249888935938

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1334202910327050242?s=20
    https://twitter.com/GeorginaEWright/status/1334211041492946949?s=20
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

@Hyufd if you are a tradionalist you should be celebrating on january the 6th rather than the politicised date

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/people-cultures-in-the-bible/jesus-historical-jesus/how-december-25-became-christmas/

Hence Twelfth Night.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:
    Whoever does his PR is a sharp operator....just happens to be looking at Baby Yoda toys. That thing that everybody talks about. Where as if Boris was doing such a PR stunt, it would be history books section.
    True, but he probably just is a bit of a geek as well. Here here is with a man who created a job opportunity for him by displaying some integrity by standing up to Cummings.
    https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1207936319873261570
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    TOPPING said:

UK local R

As an experiment, this is a link to the actual image. Click on it to see full size.

It is a good idea but it takes you away from the main PB page.
    There are things that take you away from the PB pages? Some of us are trapped.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Trinity College Dublin is 'a few weirdos on Twitter'? Who knew?

http://www.universitytimes.ie/2020/09/the-hist-will-not-be-moving-ahead-with-richard-dawkins-address/
    His latest - and given his age, possibly last book - has had a less than rapturous reception as well.

https://historyforatheists.com/2020/11/richard-dawkins-teaches-the-children/
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Hence Twelfth Night.
    To expand the debate about Die Hard and if it is a Christmas film; is Twelfth Night a Christmas Play?
  • Options

That's not dithering, it's standing firm and making a decision. To do nothing is to make a decision to do nothing.

The EU may think they are masters of the long game but if the EU don't blink first and he doesn't either then he will be doing exactly what I want him to do.

He will be doing what is quintessentially British: Keep calm and carry on.
    Have you been asleep this past year? Almost nothing this government has announced has been followed by the slightest bit of calmness let alone any carrying on.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

The Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches do celebrate Christmas on January 6th
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Christian my arse.
    I think the point was made regardless of use of the word secular.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1334205249888935938

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1334202910327050242?s=20
    https://twitter.com/GeorginaEWright/status/1334211041492946949?s=20
    The closest analogy I can think of is those big budget US TV dramas where you want to get interested in it because everyone's talking about it - but you know that it will mean 3 squillion episodes and that will merely get you to the season finale cliffhanger anyway, and oh, there's another 4 seasons where it's interminably strung out and getting any meaningful answers seems to get harder not easier....

Or something?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Whoever does his PR is a sharp operator....just happens to be looking at Baby Yoda toys. That thing that everybody talks about. Where as if Boris was doing such a PR stunt, it would be history books section.
    True, but he probably just is a bit of a geek as well. Here here is with a man who created a job opportunity for him by displaying some integrity by standing up to Cummings.
    https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1207936319873261570
    There's nothing wrong with being a bit of a geek.

Seems strange to think that is just under a year ago, so much has changed in the past 12 months.
  • Options
    Just to remind you all.

Die Hard was released in July 1988.

Christmas films are not released in July.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Hence Twelfth Night.
    To expand the debate about Die Hard and if it is a Christmas film; is Twelfth Night a Christmas Play?
    Given it’s possibly the only work of literature less comprehensible than Ulysses, how would anyone find out?
This discussion has been closed.