Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Following the start of the non-concession transition some interesting Trump bets – politicalbetting.

Comments

• Options
    Mortimer said:

I think I must be the only person yearning for a return to the tiers. They seemed to really reduce the size of the winter wave, and allowed flexibility. Heck, I went to auctions during the tiers. Worked away from home. And it felt safe to be honest.

The lockdown ruined all of that. Can't wait for a tiered return!

It all end in tiers.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

On vaccinations my priority list would be:

NHS front line staff
    Pharmacists
    Care workers
    Front line school and university workers
    Dentists

Then go onto the rest of the list of old people etc...

All of these people are in the front line and are most likely to get and spread the virus. Our vaccine deployment starting with old people and not NHS staff makes absolutely no sense, the government are letting "must save all lives at any cost" dictate this policy but risking a much longer term cost of having a higher R.

My fear is there will be a "VIP" of vaccination. That includes, I imagine, the Queen and Prince Philip as well as presumably Charles and Camilla. I can live with that but I wouldn't like to see celebrities and politicians vaccinated before care workers and NHS workers - the notion money or celebrity moves you up the pecking order is reprehensible.
    The more criteria you add the more difficult it will be to get to the right people. Age is the easiest thing for the NHS to know about, and the simplest to organise by.

By the time you've worked out who is a 'front line school worker' you could have vaccinated 100k people. It isn't worth the effort trying to work it out.

Besides, as soon as you make a list like that, you generate questions. Do care workers include the hidden army caring for their own relatives? Should bus drivers be on that list because they were badly affected in the first wave? What about supermarket workers?

Just get on with it by age, and do it as fast as possible. Include NHS workers, especially those actually doing the vaccination. They aren't too difficult, because they can organise it amongst themselves.

As for the royals, I should think Prince Philip will be in the top few thousand by age anyway. And Charlie has already had the lurgy.
    It's not that difficult, you send vaccination teams to all schools and universities.

The vaccine needs to be deployed offensively not defensively. Vaccinating old people in care homes first is a defensive strategy, it protects those people and only them. Vaccinating teachers protects all of them plus kids, their parents and their own families. Vaccinating pharmacists protects all of the people who need medicine dispensed.

We started off using rapid testing defensively by only using it for care homes, that strategy didn't work and now the government has changed to use it to go out and find the virus. Vaccination is the same it needs to go out and find the virus and super spreaders so everyone benefits immediately.
    Don't forget that nobody is entirely sure that being vaccinated stops you spreading it. That wasn't tested for in the trials.
    Indeed Max's strategy works if you're seeking a zero COVID strategy.

Vaccinating the vulnerable and workers who work with the vulnerable works if you're seeking to get life back to normal.

The virus will still be circulating in the spring but not many will be getting hospitalised so we can get back to normal. That's in everyone's interests. The young benefit more from grandpa being vaccinated and them getting to live like normal again than they benefit from being vaccinated themselves but still needing to stay at home so that grandpa doesn't get it.
    The whole point in vaccinating super spreaders first is that you rapidly bring the R down and the virus burns itself out while you vaccinate the wider population. It actually saves most lives and allows people to get on with life at the same time. If tomorrow we were able to get the R down to 0.3 overnight the whole nation immediately benefits from the vaccine. If we use it to vaccinate a few old people then only those few old people benefit because community transmission is still very high and restrictions can't be eased. It's not just old people that die of this, anyone over 60 has medium risk and anyone who is overweight (40% of the nation) is at medium risk. The restrictions don't disappear because the over 80s are immune.
    If you want to hit R, perhaps vaccinating Welsh rugby club members first would be the best strategy? (again, assuming that vaccination actually stops spreading)

Anyway, I really don't think the government will be too keen on categorising people based on occupation. It is too much of a minefield.

We are locked down because too many people are in hospital, not because R is 1.1.

But there are people in hospitals because the R was 1.3 for ages. Bring the R down and the infection rate drops to what we had in the summer and COVID deaths become background noise and by targeting super spreaders for vaccination we can achieve this very quickly. What you want to do is prevent any more old people dying from this. What I'm suggesting makes COVID background noise the same as over the summer.
    Stopping the old from dying makes COVID background noise too. Rapidly.

Plus if you get R down and lift restrictions then R will go back up and people will be hospitalised again.
    No it doesn't because anyone over 60 is at medium risk and anyone who is overweight is at medium risk. The CFR for both cohorts is pretty high, especially the latter and the hospitalisation rate for the latter is very high. Vaccinating oldies does nothing for them and the restrictions continue until these people are protected as well which is going to take months. With limited supply the strategy needs to be about reducing the R as much as possible not protecting individuals.
    Over 60s are scheduled to be vaccinated by February or March already themselves.

No the restrictions won't continue for months. R will be reduced rapidly anyway and hospitalisations will have been slashed. If a few young overweight people are getting the virus that can happen under either scenario but it won't be causing lockdowns as it won't be overloading the NHS.
    Yes, they will. There is no way we will leave the tier system any time before the end of March and that's because the vaccine programme is designed to help a few individuals, not the whole nation.
    There is not the slightest chance on earth we would leave the tier system before the end of March if we followed your proposal either. But following the existing proposal I would expect almost the entire country to be Tier 2 or below by Valentine's Day and almost all of it to be Tier 1 and thinking of removing Tiers by Mother's Day.

Stopping the vulnerable from filling hospitals is helping the whole nation. Since the whole nation is only under restrictions to stop the individuals from getting it and filling the hospitals!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
  • Options

Wonder what they've got? Embargoes are usually until 10.30...
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1331333594149695489?s=20

Tomorrow's spending review?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Finally, I think from a moral standpoint it isn't right to say no to teachers, pharmacists and dentists. All of these people are being asked to take extraordinary health risks on a daily basis, we now have the capability of protecting them while they carry out a hugely important public service. Keeping kids in school, keeping medicines dispensed and dental care available are necessary public services. We shouldn't be asking those who provide them to continue taking these risks when they don't need to, given the vaccine supply.

Do dentists and pharmacists not count as healthcare workers? In which case they will get it early anyway?

Teachers if they're vulnerable will get it as fast as they can already. But vaccinating teachers prematurely won't meaningfully influence R.
    Not unless they work in a hospital or doctor's surgery.

You're completely wrong about that. Schools are basically the major source of new infections, teachers are a major component of those new transmissions, they get it in the staff room and then pass it on to their family who then go out into the community and unknowingly pass it to others. Schools and university employees are unfortunately associated with being susperspreaders.

And from a moral standpoint it's simply wrong to ask any of them to take these risks of serious long term health issues when we have the means for them not to need to.
    Schools are a main one but that includes pupils. And parents at the school gates. It isn't just the teachers. Since the vaccine isn't tested on children and is going to be approved for adult use first then vaccinating adults won't magically make the virus leave schools.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

I think I must be the only person yearning for a return to the tiers. They seemed to really reduce the size of the winter wave, and allowed flexibility. Heck, I went to auctions during the tiers. Worked away from home. And it felt safe to be honest.

Any evidence for this? Doesn't feel to me like tiers were working at all.
    Lots from north west.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,796
    HYUFD said:
    I assume it's because while there won't be a mass outcry, the government suspects people simply won't follow any restrictions across that period. Though that's not simply a reason to give up, if they otherwise would say keep it up.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    edited November 2020

rcs1000 said:

Here's my chart of the day.

Popular vote shares in US Presidential elections since the year 2000:

https://twitter.com/marketwarbles/status/1331339632340922368

Am I missing Obama '08?

If so, Trump only in at number 10, loser!
    Son of distinguished Lib Dem elder statesman in bar chart shocker ... :smiley:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

NHS front line staff
    Pharmacists
    Care workers
    Dentists

All of these people are in the front line and are most likely to get and spread the virus. Our vaccine deployment starting with old people and not NHS staff makes absolutely no sense, the government are letting "must save all lives at any cost" dictate this policy but risking a much longer term cost of having a higher R.

My fear is there will be a "VIP" of vaccination. That includes, I imagine, the Queen and Prince Philip as well as presumably Charles and Camilla. I can live with that but I wouldn't like to see celebrities and politicians vaccinated before care workers and NHS workers - the notion money or celebrity moves you up the pecking order is reprehensible.
    The more criteria you add the more difficult it will be to get to the right people. Age is the easiest thing for the NHS to know about, and the simplest to organise by.

By the time you've worked out who is a 'front line school worker' you could have vaccinated 100k people. It isn't worth the effort trying to work it out.

Besides, as soon as you make a list like that, you generate questions. Do care workers include the hidden army caring for their own relatives? Should bus drivers be on that list because they were badly affected in the first wave? What about supermarket workers?

Just get on with it by age, and do it as fast as possible. Include NHS workers, especially those actually doing the vaccination. They aren't too difficult, because they can organise it amongst themselves.

As for the royals, I should think Prince Philip will be in the top few thousand by age anyway. And Charlie has already had the lurgy.
    It's not that difficult, you send vaccination teams to all schools and universities.

The vaccine needs to be deployed offensively not defensively. Vaccinating old people in care homes first is a defensive strategy, it protects those people and only them. Vaccinating teachers protects all of them plus kids, their parents and their own families. Vaccinating pharmacists protects all of the people who need medicine dispensed.

We started off using rapid testing defensively by only using it for care homes, that strategy didn't work and now the government has changed to use it to go out and find the virus. Vaccination is the same it needs to go out and find the virus and super spreaders so everyone benefits immediately.
    Don't forget that nobody is entirely sure that being vaccinated stops you spreading it. That wasn't tested for in the trials.

Vaccinating the vulnerable and workers who work with the vulnerable works if you're seeking to get life back to normal.

The virus will still be circulating in the spring but not many will be getting hospitalised so we can get back to normal. That's in everyone's interests. The young benefit more from grandpa being vaccinated and them getting to live like normal again than they benefit from being vaccinated themselves but still needing to stay at home so that grandpa doesn't get it.
    The whole point in vaccinating super spreaders first is that you rapidly bring the R down and the virus burns itself out while you vaccinate the wider population. It actually saves most lives and allows people to get on with life at the same time. If tomorrow we were able to get the R down to 0.3 overnight the whole nation immediately benefits from the vaccine. If we use it to vaccinate a few old people then only those few old people benefit because community transmission is still very high and restrictions can't be eased. It's not just old people that die of this, anyone over 60 has medium risk and anyone who is overweight (40% of the nation) is at medium risk. The restrictions don't disappear because the over 80s are immune.
    If you want to hit R, perhaps vaccinating Welsh rugby club members first would be the best strategy? (again, assuming that vaccination actually stops spreading)

Anyway, I really don't think the government will be too keen on categorising people based on occupation. It is too much of a minefield.

We are locked down because too many people are in hospital, not because R is 1.1.

But there are people in hospitals because the R was 1.3 for ages. Bring the R down and the infection rate drops to what we had in the summer and COVID deaths become background noise and by targeting super spreaders for vaccination we can achieve this very quickly. What you want to do is prevent any more old people dying from this. What I'm suggesting makes COVID background noise the same as over the summer.

Plus if you get R down and lift restrictions then R will go back up and people will be hospitalised again.
    No it doesn't because anyone over 60 is at medium risk and anyone who is overweight is at medium risk. The CFR for both cohorts is pretty high, especially the latter and the hospitalisation rate for the latter is very high. Vaccinating oldies does nothing for them and the restrictions continue until these people are protected as well which is going to take months. With limited supply the strategy needs to be about reducing the R as much as possible not protecting individuals.
    Over 60s are scheduled to be vaccinated by February or March already themselves.

No the restrictions won't continue for months. R will be reduced rapidly anyway and hospitalisations will have been slashed. If a few young overweight people are getting the virus that can happen under either scenario but it won't be causing lockdowns as it won't be overloading the NHS.
    Yes, they will. There is no way we will leave the tier system any time before the end of March and that's because the vaccine programme is designed to help a few individuals, not the whole nation.
    There is not the slightest chance on earth we would leave the tier system before the end of March if we followed your proposal either. But following the existing proposal I would expect almost the entire country to be Tier 2 or below by Valentine's Day and almost all of it to be Tier 1 and thinking of removing Tiers by Mother's Day.

Stopping the vulnerable from filling hospitals is helping the whole nation. Since the whole nation is only under restrictions to stop the individuals from getting it and filling the hospitals!
    You have no idea what you're talking about tbh, the majority of infections come from a very small proportion of people. The key to reducing the R to below 1 is to stop super spreader events. Vaccinating likely super spreaders is a no brainer and super spreader events are associated mostly with those professions and a few others. Vaccinating a few housebound old people isn't going to bring community infection down and while the hospitalisation rate will go down, oldies in care homes also benefit from care workers and NHS workers being vaccinated.

Using the vaccine, while it is limited in supply, for the biggest reduction of R is the best way to do this. Unfortunately we have pygmies and arse covering scientists in charge.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

Lots from north west.
    Such as?
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Betfair market slowly coming to terms with reality, USA - Presidential Election 2020 - Next President market.

Biden has been matched at 1.02 that's 50/1on in old money. Turnover is approaching £1Billion.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    edited November 2020
    Different tiers for different boroughs in London is insanity upon insanity.
    Have these Tory MPs learned nowt from their colleagues in Greater Manchester?
    Not surprisingly, no.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214
    edited November 2020
    JACK_W said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's my chart of the day.

Popular vote shares in US Presidential elections since the year 2000:

https://twitter.com/marketwarbles/status/1331339632340922368

Am I missing Obama '08?

If so, Trump only in at number 10, loser!
    So of distinguished Lib Dem elder statesman in bar chart shocker ... :smiley:
    No, the Son of distinguished Lib Dem elder statesman had the bar chart covered.

It was unfortunately a case of indistinguished idiot from Wales demonstrates ignorance of Twitter.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    HYUFD said:
    Fabricant's tweet at 20:28 copied and pasted from Guido at 15:31.

• Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

Lots from north west.
    Such as?
    You can look on the gov data and look at areas over time. Cases in say Liverpool were coming down before the nov lockdown. Nottingham too.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

Lots from north west.
    And from North East.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    They have 5 votes to count and its taken them three weeks?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    He has a majority of 80 and can get it through regardless, the diehards can go off and join Farage
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Nevada has now certified too. When are Betfair going to frickin’ pay out?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

NHS front line staff
    Pharmacists
    Care workers
    Dentists

You have no idea what you're talking about tbh, the majority of infections come from a very small proportion of people. The key to reducing the R to below 1 is to stop super spreader events. Vaccinating likely super spreaders is a no brainer and super spreader events are associated mostly with those professions and a few others. Vaccinating a few housebound old people isn't going to bring community infection down and while the hospitalisation rate will go down, oldies in care homes also benefit from care workers and NHS workers being vaccinated.

Using the vaccine, while it is limited in supply, for the biggest reduction of R is the best way to do this. Unfortunately we have pygmies and arse covering scientists in charge.
    Max, not saying you are wrong, but what is the evidence that the majority of infections are from superspreaders? I know cases have been investigated but surely we can’t say that with such confidence? And does it also apply to other respiratory infections (cold/flu)?
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Betfair market slowly coming to terms with reality, USA - Presidential Election 2020 - Next President market.

Biden has been matched at 1.02 that's 50/1on in old money. Turnover is approaching £1Billion.

No sign of paying on the state wins despite three being certified today.

Beyond ridiculous now.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Omnium said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Magna Carta fine now up to £27,000

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55057700

Truly a brave hero.

Seriously, if it was about taking a stand in refusing to follow restrictions or pay the fines for doing that it'd be one thing, but because she seems to genuinely believe her justification for doing so it really undermines itself as a protest against state power.
    I may have overreacted earlier but stuff like this incenses me. There are criminals out there who have got off more lightly. People who have ruined the lives of others.

The tories used to stand up for people like this. Now? nobody does.
    I think you'll find the Tories used to be the "law and order" party.
    No party that employed Cummings or Patel can be considered to be in favour of law and order.
    The Tory party hasn't employed either of them.

Beyond the technicality though Cummings is/was clearly a loose cannon. Patel, despite her clear personal failings, is perhaps a decent Home Secretary.

A short Asian woman is a clear change from the past. Theresa May was a, (tall) rather intimidating, white, Anglo-Saxon, woman.

Patel will clearly be (mostly) judged on how she does her job. I think she's doing quite well, and I think she'll improve. I somewhat vaguely think she may be next PM, but I'm very sure she's doing great things for our perceptions as to prejudices with every minute that she serves.

"I think she's doing quite well"

Aside from being short, female and Asian, which really doesn't add weight to one side of the scales or another, what has she done since becoming Home Secretary?
    You can skip the bullying part and the not being fired for the bullying, I'm well versed in that.
    Mainly stayed in the job.

Home Secretary is a post that has trashed many careers. Some slight evidence that she's got some support within the civil service too I think.

"Some slight evidence that she's got some support within the civil service too I think."

Finally, someone to be spoken of in the same breath as Vespasian, Qin Shi Huang, King Alfred.
    Grow up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He has a majority of 80 and can get it through regardless, the diehards can go off and join Farage
    The blue collar Tories I rub shoulders with will see the trade deal as Johnson's second Falklands moment in a week (after the vaccine).

I wonder if I can get a refund for all that "no deal" bog roll?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:
    Paul Ruan chose a good time to get out
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

Lots from north west.
    Such as?
    You can look on the gov data and look at areas over time. Cases in say Liverpool were coming down before the nov lockdown. Nottingham too.
    Alright, but so far that's indistinguishable from saying "tier 3 works", right?
    What about the tier 1 and 2 areas? Numbers were barrelling out of control there, weren't they?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

NHS front line staff
    Pharmacists
    Care workers
    Dentists

Yes there are superspreader professions and care homes are pretty much firmly top of that list and have been all year long. One case in a care home can become 40 hospitalisations and 20 deaths in a matter of days or weeks.

Vaccinating them has an immediate impact on R and hospitalisations and deaths. There is no reason not to do it.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    HYUFD said:

That’s polite. Go off and... something.

Are you cunningly repositioning yourself as a centrist HY?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The blue collar Tories I rub shoulders with will see the trade deal as Johnson's second Falklands moment in a week (after the vaccine).

You can sell it on for a profit in the Jan/Feb bog roll lockdown panic when the covid Xmas numbers come in.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Omnium said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

Seriously, if it was about taking a stand in refusing to follow restrictions or pay the fines for doing that it'd be one thing, but because she seems to genuinely believe her justification for doing so it really undermines itself as a protest against state power.
    I may have overreacted earlier but stuff like this incenses me. There are criminals out there who have got off more lightly. People who have ruined the lives of others.

No party that employed Cummings or Patel can be considered to be in favour of law and order.

Beyond the technicality though Cummings is/was clearly a loose cannon. Patel, despite her clear personal failings, is perhaps a decent Home Secretary.

A short Asian woman is a clear change from the past. Theresa May was a, (tall) rather intimidating, white, Anglo-Saxon, woman.

Patel will clearly be (mostly) judged on how she does her job. I think she's doing quite well, and I think she'll improve. I somewhat vaguely think she may be next PM, but I'm very sure she's doing great things for our perceptions as to prejudices with every minute that she serves.

Aside from being short, female and Asian, which really doesn't add weight to one side of the scales or another, what has she done since becoming Home Secretary?
    You can skip the bullying part and the not being fired for the bullying, I'm well versed in that.

Home Secretary is a post that has trashed many careers. Some slight evidence that she's got some support within the civil service too I think.

"Some slight evidence that she's got some support within the civil service too I think."

Finally, someone to be spoken of in the same breath as Vespasian, Qin Shi Huang, King Alfred.
    Grow up.
    Grow up?!
    I'll have you know there is some slight evidence that I act maturely within some some comments, I think.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You can sell it on for a profit in the Jan/Feb bog roll lockdown panic when the covid Xmas numbers come in.
    Good thinking...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Labour shouldn't support it. It needs to be seen as fully and utterly a Tory mess.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

Lots from north west.
    Such as?
    What about the tier 1 and 2 areas? Numbers were barrelling out of control there, weren't they?
    There is a case for saying that the application of the levels was not being done correctly. There should have been set and obvious criteria for which tier an area was and no negotiating. It’s possible that many tier 1 and 2 were a level too low, but I think the tier 3 levels were coming under control. The vaccine has in some ways complicated things. We are now trying to save as many lives as possible to reach vaccination. Two weeks ago we could have been in tiers for a very long haul. Your statement is really that tiers 1 and 2 weren’t working. Probably true in some places, for me in wilts, tier 1 seemed ok.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

The evidence in cases and hospitalisation looks like it *may* be that the tiers slowed the *increase* considerably.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The whole of Brexit is a Falklands moment for Britain.
    As in, Argentina's Falklands moment.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,702
    edited November 2020
    Not as bad as other polls I've seen:

https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/1331349374178385922?s=20

I do wonder about the 5% of Democrats who think he shouldn't concede ever.....
  • Options

I just looked at their rules again. This line stood out:

"markets will be settled on the official result of the relevant governing body"

• Options

HYUFD said:

Labour shouldn't support it. It needs to be seen as fully and utterly a Tory mess.
    Labour should absolutely support it. Say that any deal is better than no deal but they will be wanting to change things in a few years when they get elected but a deal is needed until then.

They will still be able to attack the Tories whenever they want. And the Tory backbenchers will feel freer to split.
  • Options

After the electoral college meets is my guess, I'm no lawyer but would have thought that the US courts wouldn't be able to alter the electoral process after that stage.

They could rule that the college is invalid and that congress has to hold a contingent election, but that's excluded in Betfair's rules.

The college meets (remotely) on 14th of December when each state's electors attend their state capitals to cast their votes.

The votes are officially counted by Congress after their new session starts in early January but that's a formality, the details of the vote will already be public knowledge.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Starmer has folded at the prospect of no deal chaos.

The Tories on here have been very persuasive that rejecting Mrs May's WA deal, and allowing the prospect of no deal Brexit was entirely the fault of Labour.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

5% of Democrats appear to have stocked up on popcorn and want to watch Trump dragged out of the WH kicking and screaming.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives will see a double digit poll lead on a deal with the EU, irrespective of how inferior it is to our still being a member of the EU.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Omnium said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Omnium said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

Grow up.
    Grow up?!
    I'll have you know there is some slight evidence that I act maturely within some some comments, I think.
    Some slight evidence you may have hit your target too :)

(I was trying to be reasonably objective)
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Mortimer said:

Lots from north west.
    Such as?
    There is a case for saying that the application of the levels was not being done correctly. There should have been set and obvious criteria for which tier an area was and no negotiating. It’s possible that many tier 1 and 2 were a level too low, but I think the tier 3 levels were coming under control. The vaccine has in some ways complicated things. We are now trying to save as many lives as possible to reach vaccination. Two weeks ago we could have been in tiers for a very long haul. Your statement is really that tiers 1 and 2 weren’t working. Probably true in some places, for me in wilts, tier 1 seemed ok.
    It was much more of a question than a statement. I am under the impression that tier 3 areas were seeing a reduction in caseloads, but that tier 1 and 2 were more than making up for that. But I'm happy to be disabused of the notion if I'm wrong.

My worry is that the misapplication of the tiers comes under one of two categories:
    1. Tiers 1&2 just don't work and nowhere should be under them, or
    2. Tiers 1&2 are applicable but we've nobody in charge who is able or willing to make the right choice.

But what do I know? There are hand-waving arguments for a mutable conclusion. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I had any decision to make other than to walk clockwise round the block or anticlockwise, I'd dig into the data and find out what I need to know.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Labour should absolutely support it. Say that any deal is better than no deal but they will be wanting to change things in a few years when they get elected but a deal is needed until then.

They will still be able to attack the Tories whenever they want. And the Tory backbenchers will feel freer to split.
    A Brexiteer Tory writes...
  • Options

Problem with the 46% is it might include people who acknowledge the possibility in theory, but never actually reach the point of saying the claims are not backed up, or at least that it's not yet proven that the claims are bogus. Like people who seek to defeat something by saying more consultation is needed, when there's been lots, and their own view is quite clearly to defeat the thing, not seek more info.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

I voted Remain, I respected the Leave vote but have never been a No Dealer
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

NHS front line staff
    Pharmacists
    Care workers
    Dentists

Max, not saying you are wrong, but what is the evidence that the majority of infections are from superspreaders? I know cases have been investigated but surely we can’t say that with such confidence? And does it also apply to other respiratory infections (cold/flu)?
    Furthermore, how does @MaxPB propose we identify potential superspreaders so that they can be vaccinated early?
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives will see a double digit poll lead on a deal with the EU, irrespective of how inferior it is to our still being members.
    We won't be members, we would be an outside country that has a trade deal with the EU and the deal could be amended in the future if both parties agree.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well yes. I've been very grateful for Labour not endorsing Theresa May's deal. If Boris's deal is a bad deal I'd want it rejecting and going to no deal.

But Labour aren't meant to be no dealers. So will they continue to be our useful idiots or will they rule out no deal and potentially split the right?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

NHS front line staff
    Pharmacists
    Care workers
    Dentists

Furthermore, how does @MaxPB propose we identify potential superspreaders so that they can be vaccinated early?
    I was wondering too. Perhaps they can self-identify by demonstrating their prowess in singing, shouting, coughing, sneezing and spitting.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    On the tiers, Hancock said today that he didn't think that the old Tier 3 was sufficient to get R below 1.

New Tier 3 is more like Scotland Tier 4, is it not? Hopefully sufficient to prevent an undoing of the good work over lockdown.

But then the big undoing turns up in a naff jumper and a Santa hat.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives will see a double digit poll lead on a deal with the EU, irrespective of how inferior it is to our still being members.
    We won't be members, we would be an outside country that has a trade deal with the EU and the deal could be amended in the future if both parties agree.
    I think you have missed my point. The relief at getting any deal, rather than no trade deal chaos will bolster Johnson's poll rating in the short term, even if that deal makes the nation significantly poorer than had we voted "remain" in 2016.
  • Options

On the tiers, Hancock said today that he didn't think that the old Tier 3 was sufficient to get R below 1.

New Tier 3 is more like Scotland Tier 4, is it not? Hopefully sufficient to prevent an undoing of the good work over lockdown.

But then the big undoing turns up in a naff jumper and a Santa hat.

Must ban Santa this year. If ever there was a superspreader ...

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    I bet jezza can't believe his eyes....a Tory chancellor talking about a new deal.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1331353629991768071?s=19
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Because it never entered the imagination of a single Leaver that it would ever be necessary.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well yes. I've been very grateful for Labour not endorsing Theresa May's deal. If Boris's deal is a bad deal I'd want it rejecting and going to no deal.

But Labour aren't meant to be no dealers. So will they continue to be our useful idiots or will they rule out no deal and potentially split the right?
    I would like to say your second paragraph is wrong, but it isnt' Starmer will **** the bed!
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives will see a double digit poll lead on a deal with the EU, irrespective of how inferior it is to our still being a member of the EU.
    Yes, I think that is right - especially when it coincides with a positive plan for vaccine roll-out.

I very much doubt though that that lead will survive many months. A combination of the unavoidable fiscal pain to come, coupled with the ongong general ineptitude of this government is likely to have SKS in a healthy lead by the next GE, imo.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Because it never entered the imagination of a single Leaver that it would ever be necessary.
    Because the voters were told we wouldn't be leaving the single market.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I think that is right - especially when it coincides with a positive plan for vaccine roll-out.

I very much doubt though that that lead will survive many months. A combination of the unavoidable fiscal pain to come, coupled with the ongong general ineptitude of this government is likely to have SKS in a healthy lead by the next GE, imo.
    Agreed. When the furlough ends and the house of cards comes crashing down around us, I don't believe the Conservatives will remain ahead. I might be wrong, but I don't think even Johnson survives economic armageddon.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Because the voters were told we wouldn't be leaving the single market.
    We hold all the cards:
    A full deck of fifty-two.
    And each one, a knave.
  • Options

I bet jezza can't believe his eyes....a Tory chancellor talking about a new deal.

For those following wokeology the Suzanne Moore story will be interesting.

• Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

Why is that? I don't see intractible remainers holding up their hands and thinking it ok to return to the Tories as a deal was had after all, perhaps they'd gain a few points back from those who had feared incompetence would mean no deal, but against that you have the Faragist element. Will there really be that much of a change?

I do take Benpointer's, er, point, that in conjunction with a positive plan for vaccine rollout perhaps there will be a larger movement, though I'd also agree with him about longer term prospects in terms of Labour leads - though if it will be enough, I am uncertain of.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

NHS front line staff
    Pharmacists
    Care workers
    Dentists

I was wondering too. Perhaps they can self-identify by demonstrating their prowess in singing, shouting, coughing, sneezing and spitting.

In that case I'd be a world-class superspreader...

--AS
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

HYUFD said:

Irrespective of what is agreed (or not agreed) now, this thing will be renegotiated 100 times, with us sometimes getting closer to the EU, and sometimes moving further apart. There will be integration that will stick, and will be infuriating to Farage, and there will be stuff that is tried, is unpopular, and is walked back from.

Basically, the next half century is going to be one round of negotiations after another with our continental neighbours. As, I suspect, is ever thus.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Playing the tier prediction game, here's my guess as to what things will look like when announced.

Let's hope the bolstered tier 2 does a job of work now.

T3: Greater Manchester (still), East Lancashire (as defined before), West Yorkshire, Teesside, ex-Humberside, Lincolnshire (except S.Kesteven & S.Holland), Leicester, Oadby & Blaby, Stoke & Staffordshire (all), S. Derbyshire, W. Mids Metro (except Coventry), Kent (all)
    T1: Cornwall only
    T2: Everywhere else
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    80,002,321 votes for Biden
  • Options
    EU says it will ban imports of processed meat into island of Ireland. UK says it will reciprocate on imports from Ireland. Brown trouser time in Dublin.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1123/1180052-connelly-brexit-latest/
  • Options
    FT is embargoed until midnight.

Interesting.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

But how many of those were legal? ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

Why is that? I don't see intractible remainers holding up their hands and thinking it ok to return to the Tories as a deal was had after all, perhaps they'd gain a few points back from those who had feared incompetence would mean no deal, but against that you have the Faragist element. Will there really be that much of a change?

I do take Benpointer's, er, point, that in conjunction with a positive plan for vaccine rollout perhaps there will be a larger movement, though I'd also agree with him about longer term prospects in terms of Labour leads - though if it will be enough, I am uncertain of.
    I don't think the lead will be long lasting. Relief at a vaccine and a trade deal should boost Johnson, however it will soon subside at the realisation that we are well and truly up the creek.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Irrespective of what is agreed (or not agreed) now, this thing will be renegotiated 100 times, with us sometimes getting closer to the EU, and sometimes moving further apart. There will be integration that will stick, and will be infuriating to Farage, and there will be stuff that is tried, is unpopular, and is walked back from.

Basically, the next half century is going to be one round of negotiations after another with our continental neighbours. As, I suspect, is ever thus.
    Not only with our continental neighbours, but with our celtic neighbours too.
  • Options

Gaussian said:

All of them, including Melania's
  • Options

Gaussian said:

80,033,996 according to Dave Wasserman

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1331261330859438080?s=20
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Playing the tier prediction game, here's my guess as to what things will look like when announced.

T3: Greater Manchester (still), East Lancashire (as defined before), West Yorkshire, Teesside, ex-Humberside, Lincolnshire (except S.Kesteven & S.Holland), Leicester, Oadby & Blaby, Stoke & Staffordshire (all), S. Derbyshire, W. Mids Metro (except Coventry), Kent (all)

All plausible.

Possibly a few other Tier 1s maybe Isle of Wight, possibly Norfolk

Lincolnshire maybe treated as Tier 3 in aggregate although this would be harsh on S Holland

Agree London Tier 2: 80% likely, position in E/SE London not brilliant and being affected by North Kent but overall position is of reasonable improvement in London
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Liverpool T2?

Quite possible. The combination of T3 plus mass testing seems like it works so the idea of having mass testing available with T3 areas should help squish this.

Warrington and other parts of the NW might still be T3.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627

FT is embargoed until midnight.

Interesting.

Some juicy gossip from Strictly?
  • Options
    That's strange. We were assured earlier that the EU had already signed a deal with Moderna
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1331205786031300610?s=20
  • Options

Never mind that: A chancellor in a hoodie... wtf?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

An awful lot of "red wall" in Tier 3 plus then. Chuck in Notts, N. Derbyshire, S. Yorkshire, Tyneside, Wearside and Durham and we have a full house.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020

Country has gone to the dogs.*

* Just realised that somebody could infer that as racist in some way. Hope i don't get cancelled.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

The ultimate realisation of the Cameron project will come when we get a PM in a hoodie.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think the lead will be long lasting. Relief at a vaccine and a trade deal should boost Johnson, however it will soon subside at the realisation that we are well and truly up the creek.
    I'm quite optimistic for next summer onwards.

I think we could have a Roaring Twenties coming up.
  • Options

The millenials are in charge now.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

I voted Remain, I respected the Leave vote but have never been a No Dealer
    When the last remaining remainers in a Tory cabinet, gauke, Hammond, about 30 gents and ladies were trussed up in dimly lit corridor, their shirts ripped to expose their nipples, and Cummings allowed to work on them with his portable soldering iron, I’m sure you said it was all perfectly necessary. Was it not you? Apologies if you didn’t support their expulsion for just the one rebellion of their careers.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Out celtic neighbours, bar the Republic, will remain firmly part of the UK, devolution only goes so far
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

All will be covered by our negotiations with the EU.
  • Options

That's strange. We were assured earlier that the EU had already signed a deal with Moderna
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1331205786031300610?s=20

"In August the EU’s executive Commission, which co-leads talks with vaccine makers on behalf of member states, said it had held preliminary talks with Moderna over a deal for 80 million doses and an option for 80 million more."
This discussion has been closed.