Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Following the start of the non-concession transition some interesting Trump bets – politicalbetting.

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,783
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You can see why Scotland has proportionally the highest number of people infected out of the four nations.
    Explain why and perhaps you can add why much lower death rate at same time
    I already have, also, like many of the Covid-19 deniers, just because you don't die from Covid-19 doesn't mean you're ok after catching it.
    You don't need to tell me that, but I have not seen any huge increase in deaths relative to England and it was previously running at 65% in Scotland v England. Must be some reason if more people have had it yet less have died , especially given the crap we get about life spans here and how we are all malnourished , drug addict , alcoholics that die at 50. Sounds contrary.
    It's all the Vitamin C in the neep juice which we mainline straight to the radial vein.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    Scott_xP said:
    Tell him they won't cover it unless he gives an indication of what is about - they're not going to be there to broadcast his every utterance for much longer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

I hope this big fall in announced positive cases isn't some excel glitch!

Yes, a remarkable drop if the figures are kosher. Lots still round my way...
    The Melton R was 0.86 as per yday's Malmesbury charts...That is pretty low.
    Still above the English average, and some other parts of my patch not looking too chipper.

Interesting thanks - all on a downward trend, that said, which is good to see.

Edit: where is that chart from btw?
    It is a local twitter feed using published data. It has been running since the summer.

This is another one of theirs:

https://twitter.com/CovidLeics/status/1330931988908437514?s=19
    Thanks - which area in particular are you? Leicester Central?
    No, I live over the county border.
  • Options

I do wonder if Trump has done permanent damage to the link of the Armed Forces generally voting GOP.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331228373666902017

You're probably right, given he's stopped thousands of young American soldiers getting killed, maimed and mentally traumatised in pointless overseas wars.

You say he's prevented thousands of young American soldiers being killed, maimed and mentally traumatised in pointless overseas wars. Trump says "losers".
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Inter-generational mixing is a big problem for sure. Is Sturgeon having a problem with the precise definition of "generation"?
    Wouldn't be the first time, meanwhile....

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1331255664753201155?s=20

Fine job by the Herald's Picture editor.....
    Reminds me of the Rayner 'Scum' debacle - yes, there was poor behaviour here, but it can be milked too far.

It is good picture editor work though.
    Hoots Mon! Priti looks like she got dressed in the dark, but Crivens! Wee Nicola looks so bonnie!

You want to be taken seriously by anyone north of the border? it would help not to sound like someone out of the Broons. Which was dated, seriously dated, when I were a bairn, and that was a long time ago.
    Not really that bothered to be honest
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Still above the English average, and some other parts of my patch not looking too chipper.

It is a local twitter feed using published data. It has been running since the summer.

In the nice bit.
  • Options
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited November 2020
    @Stocky
    'I hate to say it but Trump was unlucky.'

He was - and stupid too.

If he had taken the advice of the scientists and led the campaign against the virus he would have been hailed a hero and won most of the 50 States. Perversely, he chose to deny it and found you can't deny a virus.

He might even have got away with it but for his ill-conceived advice to his supporters to avaoid the mail and just turn up on the day.

I think on balance more stupid than unlucky, but a bit of both.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

If the No Deal diehards refuse to even accept a Canada style FTA they can sod off to Farage as far as I am concerned and never come back!!

Well said.

But what if that (no deal) becomes Cons Party policy and/or is enacted. Where would that leave your relationship with the Party?
    I would still stay in the party and argue for a Deal, I am obviously not going to go off to Farage either way am I!
    You swallowed Brexit although you believed that the wellbeing of the UK was best served by staying in the EU. You now say that if the Party said it wanted no deal you would stay when you believe that it would be very bad for your country.

So at what point would you think that the Party had moved too far from your beliefs, and was inflicting too much harm on the country you love, such that you would, in all good faith, no longer be able to remain a member of it?
    I believe he draws the line in recognising that Scots have a right to national self-determination like Cameron and Thatcher said. If the Tory leader won't send in jackboots to squash the rebellious Scots then that is his deal breaker.
    Preserving the Union at all costs is a pivotal part of being a Tory, backing a No Deal Brexit as opposed to simply respecting the Brexit vote is not, just another reason why you are not and never will be a Tory.

2014 was a once in generation referendum and the Scots voted to stay in the UK and that should be respected
    Yebbut wanting to leave the EU is a pivotal part of being a Tory in today's party. Boris even made every would be MP swear as such.
    Respecting the Leave vote yes, the Tory manifesto also set out the Brexit deal with the EU they were aiming for, only Farage's party in 2019 was pushing No Deal
    Indeed. Reclaim laws and money being the first thing that the manifesto said.

If the EU wants to control our laws and money and won't give us a deal without that control then it would betray the manifesto to sign up to that deal.
    Sod off to Farage then, good riddance and don't come back!!

The Tory manifesto never made any promises on state aid
    I couldn't care less about state aid.

I do care about laws and money which is what the manifesto said.
    State aid IS about laws and money.
    Yes quite. So why were you saying you couldn't care less about State Aid?
    Because "State Aid" is normally presumed to mean simply supporting failed companies or state champions.

But it isn't what is being argued about. It is disingenuous completely to call this a debate about state aid, that is not the issue. The whole "level playing field" concept is about controlling our laws and money - if we give a blank cheque to the EU to determine if something breaches the "level playing field" and they are the sole arbiters of it using their court then that would mean we do not control our laws and money except at their bidding. That is what makes this such a nebulous and fraught discussion that is occuring.
    That is the purists view, yes. Which you will need to come away from in order to support the deal. Hopefully you're doing some mental prep for that.
    Believing that an FTA should be between equal partners with a neutral ISDS etc is not a "purists" viewpoint.
    Well whatever you want to call it, prepare to perform the necessary gymnastics in order to say that Johnson has delivered it. This is my point.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

In the nice bit.
    Yes, but before I lived in a nice bit of the city, so know both well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    edited November 2020
    Alistair said:

Trump owns 2 out the 3 lowest vote shares for a GOP candidate this millenium.

Since 2000, there have been six Presidential Elections. This means there have been twelve Democrat and Republican vote shares.

I believe the three lowest vote shares in that period are of Trump, McCain and Trump. And, of course, McCain was coming on the back of eight years of Republican government and the Global Financial Crisis.

The problem is that the Republican Party without Trump loses a chunk of its vote. But with him, it motivates the Democrats even more (and it sends a bunch of Republicans home).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Yes, he’s either completely off his rocker, or auditioning for SNL as Charlton Heston’s undead corpse...
    https://twitter.com/RandyRRQuaid/status/1327043884082409474
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Biden 1.02
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Since 2000, there have been six Presidential Elections. This means there have been twelve Democrat and Republican vote shares.

I believe the three lowest vote shares in that period are of Trump, McCain and Trump. And, of course, McCain was coming on the back of eight years of Republican government and the Global Financial Crisis.

The problem is that the Republican Party without Trump loses a chunk of its vote. But with him, it motivates the Democrats even more (and it sends a bunch of Democrats home).
    The three highest vote shares in UK General Elections in that time have been from parties led by...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

If the No Deal diehards refuse to even accept a Canada style FTA they can sod off to Farage as far as I am concerned and never come back!!

Well said.

But what if that (no deal) becomes Cons Party policy and/or is enacted. Where would that leave your relationship with the Party?
    I would still stay in the party and argue for a Deal, I am obviously not going to go off to Farage either way am I!
    You swallowed Brexit although you believed that the wellbeing of the UK was best served by staying in the EU. You now say that if the Party said it wanted no deal you would stay when you believe that it would be very bad for your country.

So at what point would you think that the Party had moved too far from your beliefs, and was inflicting too much harm on the country you love, such that you would, in all good faith, no longer be able to remain a member of it?
    I believe he draws the line in recognising that Scots have a right to national self-determination like Cameron and Thatcher said. If the Tory leader won't send in jackboots to squash the rebellious Scots then that is his deal breaker.
    Preserving the Union at all costs is a pivotal part of being a Tory, backing a No Deal Brexit as opposed to simply respecting the Brexit vote is not, just another reason why you are not and never will be a Tory.

2014 was a once in generation referendum and the Scots voted to stay in the UK and that should be respected
    Yebbut wanting to leave the EU is a pivotal part of being a Tory in today's party. Boris even made every would be MP swear as such.
    Respecting the Leave vote yes, the Tory manifesto also set out the Brexit deal with the EU they were aiming for, only Farage's party in 2019 was pushing No Deal

If the EU wants to control our laws and money and won't give us a deal without that control then it would betray the manifesto to sign up to that deal.

Because "State Aid" is normally presumed to mean simply supporting failed companies or state champions.

But it isn't what is being argued about. It is disingenuous completely to call this a debate about state aid, that is not the issue. The whole "level playing field" concept is about controlling our laws and money - if we give a blank cheque to the EU to determine if something breaches the "level playing field" and they are the sole arbiters of it using their court then that would mean we do not control our laws and money except at their bidding. That is what makes this such a nebulous and fraught discussion that is occuring.
    That is the purists view, yes. Which you will need to come away from in order to support the deal. Hopefully you're doing some mental prep for that.
    You might both be right about state aid but isn't it at least a little bit possible it means what it says on the tin given government intentions around UKARPA, nationalisation and, well, state aid, even if Boris does not want to draw this to the attention of backbenchers who never read the manifesto?
  • Options
    Makes a change from what we have been used to with Boris and Corbyn, who look like a state all of the time and their handlers crap at making them at least appear to look like they don't need their mums to dress them and pack their lunches.
  • Options
    YOUGov:

The CEO of Qantas airline has said that once a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available, passengers will only be allowed to fly on Qantas flights if they can provide proof they have been vaccinated. Would you support or oppose it if all airlines adopted this policy?

Net support: +54

Strongest opposition in London (but still two thirds in favour), otherwise very broad support across all geographies/demographics.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/survey-results/daily/2020/11/24/a8e1c/3
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Indeed, otherwise he can go back to voting for Farage as he did last May
    I never voted for Farage. I dislike Farage and he is irrelevant and immaterial.
    You voted Brexit Party last May in the European elections under their leader Farage, you voted for Farage
    A protest vote against Theresa "GO HOME" May, there were no good options. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    As AA Gill so memorably put it - when people sit around and watch, say, Eastenders or Jeremy Kyle, there is no button to press to show that they are watching ironically. They are all counted in the audience figures.

You voted for Farage. Yuck.
    Voting for May was yuck too.

And my vote helped make both Farage get kicked out of the European Parliament and May kicked out of Downing Street. Not a bad two for one protest vote.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

We'll see. I am merely an interested observer. FWIW I sense that his loyalty is almost as strong as yours but it's focused differently. Yours is to the Tory Party, his is to Boris Johnson.
    I'm not loyal to Boris, just Boris is more my kind of Tory.

I've repeatedly said I oppose Boris on an issue that's come up just this year alone. How many other people accused of loyalism can say the same thing?
  • Options

Makes a change from what we have been used to with Boris and Corbyn, who look like a state all of the time and their handlers crap at making them at least appear to look like they don't need their mums to dress them and pack their lunches.
    In his last few years as Leader Corbyn could on occasion look relatively dapper, certainly next to Boris (who in fairness is not even trying).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Stroke of luck for wildlife officials to notice that whilst trying to get to sleep
  • Options
    Magna Carta fine now up to £27,000

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55057700
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

The problem is that the Republican Party without Trump loses a chunk of its vote. But with him, it motivates the Democrats even more (and it sends a bunch of Democrats home).
    The three highest vote shares in UK General Elections in that time have been from parties led by...
    Is it Jo Swinson???
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Believing that an FTA should be between equal partners with a neutral ISDS etc is not a "purists" viewpoint.
    Well whatever you want to call it, prepare to perform the necessary gymnastics in order to say that Johnson has delivered it. This is my point.
    Only if he does deliver.

Do you understand my priorities? Because I've said them clearly here so it should be easy to objectively measure whether MY priorities are hit or not. What are they?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542
    ..... and a handful on here.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

We'll see. I am merely an interested observer. FWIW I sense that his loyalty is almost as strong as yours but it's focused differently. Yours is to the Tory Party, his is to Boris Johnson.
    I'm not loyal to Boris, just Boris is more my kind of Tory.

I've repeatedly said I oppose Boris on an issue that's come up just this year alone. How many other people accused of loyalism can say the same thing?
    That's THREE admiring mentions of him in the space of one very short post. QED.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

You voted Brexit Party last May in the European elections under their leader Farage, you voted for Farage
    As AA Gill so memorably put it - when people sit around and watch, say, Eastenders or Jeremy Kyle, there is no button to press to show that they are watching ironically. They are all counted in the audience figures.

And my vote helped make both Farage get kicked out of the European Parliament and May kicked out of Downing Street. Not a bad two for one protest vote.
    May was not an ideal PM (tho still better than the current incompetent incumbent), but she is a fundamentally decent person. Farage is a 21st century fascist. You voted for the latter, rather than a plethora of other alternatives for a protest vote. We will draw our conclusions.
  • Options

Truly a brave hero.

Seriously, if it was about taking a stand in refusing to follow restrictions or pay the fines for doing that it'd be one thing, but because she seems to genuinely believe her justification for doing so it really undermines itself as a protest against state power.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In his last few years as Leader Corbyn could on occasion look relatively dapper, certainly next to Boris (who in fairness is not even trying).
    And then he opened his mouth...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    MrEd said:

I doubt it @contrarian, I think, if the States is going to be one party, it will be the Republicans in charge, really for several reasons:

1. Trump has, in effect, emasculated the whole Romney / McCain types in the GOP. Beyond the Trumpers, there are plenty who are unhappy with the likes of The Lincoln Project and even more who recognise that the coalition he built has real electoral legs. The end result is the Republican party is far more united than the Democrats. Biden's picks so far are centrist. While the Left does not have that many Congressional seats, it has provided a lot of the power on the ground in terms of voter activation.

2. The Democrats face significant secular problems regarding the Hispanic block, which is not just limited to Florida or southern Texas. There is a big fight brewing in California at the moment over Harris' appointment with both the Black and the Hispanic caucuses demanding their candidate be selected. If it is a Black candidate is selected, expect the Hispanic caucus to be upset. Note also immigration reform / DACA is not the slam dunk for the Democrats it was assumed;

3. Less commented on has been the 18% of Black men who (apparently) voted for Trump. Given older Black voters were unlikely to switch because of historical resonance / souls to the polls etc etc, that probably means a decent chunk of younger Black men went for Trump.

4. Higher Education enrolment is declining (mid single digits probably this year) and has been declining for a few years with stagnation before that. Given education is a defining feature of likely vote intention, that growth engine is less powerful than it was;

5. The Republicans kept state legislatures, which mean they have a big advantage going into 2022 Congressional elections. Down party election results also generally favoured them as well. That gives a big advantage.

6. Many Republicans generally believe the silver lining around the fraud claims is that procedures will be tightened for the next elections. The complaints re mail-in ballots in 2020 largely mirror those in California in 2018 when the Republicans lost a number of House seats where they had comfortable majorities on the night which were then whittled away by mail in ballots. There is a view the focus from 2018 may have acted as a deterrent for 2020. Worth noting, of the 10 seats the Republicans have picked up so far, 3 have been in California, with a fourth one possible.

It's always unwise to assume the future belongs to one side or the other. The Conservatives won four times between 1979 and 1992 and some thought they would never lose but in 1997 they were smashed. Labour won three in a row but lost in 2010 and have been out of a power for a decade.

To pick up your points:

1) There may well be a scramble for Trump's inheritance but that doesn't mean that's where the GOP will end up. While Ivanka is a possibility, the likes of Pence and Donald Trump Junior are probably still too divisive for many of those who once supported the Republicans.

2) I agree Biden needs to work on the Hispanic vote - Trump was able to convince a lot under the radar Biden was a socialist (which he isn't) but Biden did himself no favours in southern Texas with the fracking line. Policy on Cuba will be interesting in the new administration.

3) It's encouraging a new generation of wealthier black Americans feel less tribal - I do agree the Democrats have taken their support for granted.

4) The assumption those without higher education will vote Republican in the future needs to be challenged and I suspect the new Biden administration will seek to re-invigorate education.

5) I suspect Biden isn't too bothered the Democrats didn't sweep the Senate and House. Co-habitation works well for the President and it marginalises the radical voices as well as keeping the moderate Republican happy.

6) Trump did better than Clinton than in some of the deep blue states - we'll have to see about 2022. With a vaccine and improving economy, Biden and the Democrats could be well placed.
  • Options
    ping said:

Biden 1.02

Biden is still 1.03 in the main Betfair next president market; 1.02 to win the popular vote.

Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.03
    Democrats 1.03
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.03
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.03
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.04
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.04
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.02
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.05
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.02

AZ Dem 1.02
    GA Dem 1.03
    MI Dem 1.02
    NV Dem 1.03
    PA Dem 1.02
    WI Dem 1.03

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.09
    Trump exit date 2021 1.06
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

I see. So you expressed your disgust at Mrs May's anti-migrant tone by voting for Nigel Farage.
    No.

I was disgusted by both Farage and May and so torn how to vote. Tempted to spoil my ballot.

In the end I lent my vote to the BXP as a protest vote to get rid of May. Because May was PM and Farage was an inconsequential nobody. It also had the nice side effect.of getting rid of Farage too.

In my shoes what else should I have done?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Only if he does deliver.

Do you understand my priorities? Because I've said them clearly here so it should be easy to objectively measure whether MY priorities are hit or not. What are they?
    Yes - you want things that the Government have promised but cannot actually delivery because of international treaties we are party to.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

May was not an ideal PM (tho still better than the current incompetent incumbent), but she is a fundamentally decent person. Farage is a 21st century fascist. You voted for the latter, rather than a plethora of other alternatives for a protest vote. We will draw our conclusions.
    May is not a fundamentally decent person.

A vote for BXP in 2019 was explicitly not a vote for Farage since it was a vote to get rid of MEPs.
  • Options

kle4 said:

And then he opened his mouth...
    Boris won in 2019 by running on Corbyn's 2017 platform, and opposing Cameron and May.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Only if he does deliver.

Yes - you want things that the Government have promised but cannot actually delivery because of international treaties we are party to.
    Such as?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Is it Jo Swinson???
    PM Swinson to you

No, I think it's the Maybot, JC and Ol' "Shagger" Johnson
  • Options
    Slightly confused to see Conservatives on the previous thread complaining about people being mistreated by the police. I thought blue lives mattered?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Do we know what policy differences, just out of ccuriosity?
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Slightly confused to see Conservatives on the previous thread complaining about people being mistreated by the police. I thought blue lives mattered?

You mean a conservative mp was.
  • Options
    stodge said:

MrEd said:

I doubt it @contrarian, I think, if the States is going to be one party, it will be the Republicans in charge, really for several reasons:

1. Trump has, in effect, emasculated the whole Romney / McCain types in the GOP. Beyond the Trumpers, there are plenty who are unhappy with the likes of The Lincoln Project and even more who recognise that the coalition he built has real electoral legs. The end result is the Republican party is far more united than the Democrats. Biden's picks so far are centrist. While the Left does not have that many Congressional seats, it has provided a lot of the power on the ground in terms of voter activation.

2. The Democrats face significant secular problems regarding the Hispanic block, which is not just limited to Florida or southern Texas. There is a big fight brewing in California at the moment over Harris' appointment with both the Black and the Hispanic caucuses demanding their candidate be selected. If it is a Black candidate is selected, expect the Hispanic caucus to be upset. Note also immigration reform / DACA is not the slam dunk for the Democrats it was assumed;

3. Less commented on has been the 18% of Black men who (apparently) voted for Trump. Given older Black voters were unlikely to switch because of historical resonance / souls to the polls etc etc, that probably means a decent chunk of younger Black men went for Trump.

4. Higher Education enrolment is declining (mid single digits probably this year) and has been declining for a few years with stagnation before that. Given education is a defining feature of likely vote intention, that growth engine is less powerful than it was;

5. The Republicans kept state legislatures, which mean they have a big advantage going into 2022 Congressional elections. Down party election results also generally favoured them as well. That gives a big advantage.

6. Many Republicans generally believe the silver lining around the fraud claims is that procedures will be tightened for the next elections. The complaints re mail-in ballots in 2020 largely mirror those in California in 2018 when the Republicans lost a number of House seats where they had comfortable majorities on the night which were then whittled away by mail in ballots. There is a view the focus from 2018 may have acted as a deterrent for 2020. Worth noting, of the 10 seats the Republicans have picked up so far, 3 have been in California, with a fourth one possible.

It's always unwise to assume the future belongs to one side or the other. The Conservatives won four times between 1979 and 1992 and some thought they would never lose but in 1997 they were smashed. Labour won three in a row but lost in 2010 and have been out of a power for a decade.

To pick up your points:

1) There may well be a scramble for Trump's inheritance but that doesn't mean that's where the GOP will end up. While Ivanka is a possibility, the likes of Pence and Donald Trump Junior are probably still too divisive for many of those who once supported the Republicans.

2) I agree Biden needs to work on the Hispanic vote - Trump was able to convince a lot under the radar Biden was a socialist (which he isn't) but Biden did himself no favours in southern Texas with the fracking line. Policy on Cuba will be interesting in the new administration.

3) It's encouraging a new generation of wealthier black Americans feel less tribal - I do agree the Democrats have taken their support for granted.

4) The assumption those without higher education will vote Republican in the future needs to be challenged and I suspect the new Biden administration will seek to re-invigorate education.

5) I suspect Biden isn't too bothered the Democrats didn't sweep the Senate and House. Co-habitation works well for the President and it marginalises the radical voices as well as keeping the moderate Republican happy.

6) Trump did better than Clinton than in some of the deep blue states - we'll have to see about 2022. With a vaccine and improving economy, Biden and the Democrats could be well placed.
    Be careful lumping Hispanics together. It is commonplace now to treat ex-Cubans separately but from Central America come people with different perspectives and fears depending whether they are fleeing left-wing or right-wing regimes.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

I see. So you expressed your disgust at Mrs May's anti-migrant tone by voting for Nigel Farage.
    No.

I was disgusted by both Farage and May and so torn how to vote. Tempted to spoil my ballot.

In the end I lent my vote to the BXP as a protest vote to get rid of May. Because May was PM and Farage was an inconsequential nobody. It also had the nice side effect.of getting rid of Farage too.

In my shoes what else should I have done?
    I'd have gone barefoot before even putting those shoes on.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

..... and a handful on here.
    Not me mate. I know the democrats won, and I'm not naive enough to believe that's going to change now or in the future.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

You mean a conservative mp was.
    I withdraw the plural.

#BlueRinseMatters
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

stodge said:

MrEd said:

To pick up your points:

Be careful lumping Hispanics together. It is commonplace now to treat ex-Cubans separately but from Central America come people with different perspectives and fears depending whether they are fleeing left-wing or right-wing regimes.
    Also. A different perspective depending on whether an individual "Hispanic" is white or black. Which can transcend national identity.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

Seriously, if it was about taking a stand in refusing to follow restrictions or pay the fines for doing that it'd be one thing, but because she seems to genuinely believe her justification for doing so it really undermines itself as a protest against state power.
    I may have overreacted earlier but stuff like this incenses me. There are criminals out there who have got off more lightly. People who have ruined the lives of others.

The tories used to stand up for people like this. Now? nobody does.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

eek said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Only if he does deliver.

Such as?
    Internal Market Act, State Aid to name 2
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    AZ saying they will be able to deliver 20m doses of the vaccine by the end of the year. That's a huge turning point for us, that makes 18.3m people (13.3m AZ and 5m from Pfizer) that can be vaccinated by the end of January if we have the vaccination programme capacity.

That's a huge number of people, I really hope the government have got the distribution of it lined up well.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited November 2020
    deleted
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Few things illustrate more graphically what a miserable specimen of a human being Trump is than that list of bets.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Only if he does deliver.

Such as?
    If there's a deal I expect the Internal Market Act to be set aside as redundant.

State aid I don't want international laws broken. I have specifically and repeatedly said I want standard international style LPF restrictions. Call it Canada style.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited November 2020

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    Doesn't that depend on (a) who the most likely to spread the virus are? (Are they bar staff or doctors?) And (b) what are the relative numbers?

FWIW, I think it would be massively more useful to get doctors, nurses and care home staff vaccinated first, as a single one of those can knock off twenty oldies and spread it around their friends and family.
    Yes, as an oldie I must say I agree. I can sit at home working and translating and posting on PB till the cows come home - I last saw another human about 10 days ago, apart from one Sainsbury delivery, and am definitely not infecting anyone. Health and care staff don't have that option. Why are we even considering not doing them first?
    If "Neither" is an option why isn't "Both"? And why isn't "Those of the elderly/vulnerable who volunteer for it" in the mix, so as to skip oldies like you but cater for those who don't get on with lockdown as well as you do?

Yougov need to employ me as a questions editor.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    Doesn't that depend on (a) who the most likely to spread the virus are? (Are they bar staff or doctors?) And (b) what are the relative numbers?

FWIW, I think it would be massively more useful to get doctors, nurses and care home staff vaccinated first, as a single one of those can knock off twenty oldies and spread it around their friends and family.
    Yes, as an oldie I must say I agree. I can sit at home working and translating and posting on PB till the cows come home - I last saw another human about 10 days ago, apart from one Sainsbury delivery, and am definitely not infecting anyone. Health and care staff don't have that option. Why are we even considering not doing them first?
    They are being done first.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
  • Options

kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

I may have overreacted earlier but stuff like this incenses me. There are criminals out there who have got off more lightly. People who have ruined the lives of others.

I think you'll find the Tories used to be the "law and order" party.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Inter-generational mixing is a big problem for sure. Is Sturgeon having a problem with the precise definition of "generation"?
    Wouldn't be the first time, meanwhile....

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1331255664753201155?s=20

Fine job by the Herald's Picture editor.....
    Reminds me of the Rayner 'Scum' debacle - yes, there was poor behaviour here, but it can be milked too far.

It is good picture editor work though.
    Hoots Mon! Priti looks like she got dressed in the dark, but Crivens! Wee Nicola looks so bonnie!

You want to be taken seriously by anyone north of the border? it would help not to sound like someone out of the Broons. Which was dated, seriously dated, when I were a bairn, and that was a long time ago.
    In with a shout for 2nd reserve for Sturgeon impressions on Spitting Image though.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/24/trial-of-brexit-border-checks-causes-five-mile-lorry-queues-in-kent

"Queues of trucks stretching for five miles unexpectedly built up in Kent on Tuesday after the French started a trial of post-Brexit checks in Calais."

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

Why doesn’t she just offer free eye tests?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

If "Neither" is an option why isn't "Both"? And why isn't "Those of the elderly/vulnerable who volunteer for it" in the mix, so as to skip oldies like you but cater for those who don't get on with lockdown as well as you do?

Yougov need to employ me as a questions editor.

Yes, I'd hope it would spread out to that group quickly (and I agree with you that polls tend to divide us unhelpfully into two camps), though I suppose that logistically it's easiest to do all of one group and then move on. Philip says it's been decided that health/care workers will be done first - is that right? I saw the various groups identified in the Government announcement, but thought it said that priorities had not yet been decided?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,009
    Yet the East of England also has the lowest number of over 60s with Covid on that graph too
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Watching the Biden picks’ speeches on CNN. Patriotic, diplomatic, moderate. Suddenly it feels real. Like the end of an unlamented era.

• Options

kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

No party that employed Cummings or Patel can be considered to be in favour of law and order.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    https://www.instagram.com/quinnblakeyhairdressing/ if you want to follow the action.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/24/trial-of-brexit-border-checks-causes-five-mile-lorry-queues-in-kent

"Queues of trucks stretching for five miles unexpectedly built up in Kent on Tuesday after the French started a trial of post-Brexit checks in Calais."

One source said the dry run caused delays because the French had not deployed enough staff needed for a live operation and once properly resourced more lanes would be open to help ease the congestion.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'd be on the dems big time for the Georgia run-offs.

The republican party is going to crack like a nut.
    Like a "nut" is very apt.
    Yeah well I was thinking watermelon...but that would have been more apt for the greens.....

The Trumpistas are furious with the RINOS for not fighting. That much I do know.
    I wonder what the split is of his vote between trad Republican partisans and Trumpers. This is important for assessing how things will pan out over the next 4 years. My sense is that right now he has about 25m who are loyal to him and his brand. It's a lot. But I see it dwindling once he and the clan lose the trappings of the presidency. We've had peak Trump, I think.
    Good question but I reckon its probably more. Trump got more votes than any pretty much any republican.

Its just that Biden also got far more votes than Obama.

The repubs could go back to a Romney/McCain type, but they just lose by more.

Looking at the numbers, the repubs don't win again. Ever.

America? One party state now.

I`ve been laying Trump - big - well before Covid was heard of. I was confident that Trump was toast. However, the dust having settled, I admit that I was wrong. Trump would have won if it wasn`t for Covid. My bets have come in but I was lucky.

The decisive factor was the increased use of postal voting due to Covid. I`m not for a moment suggesting fraud, just that postal voting increased the turnout and benefited the Dems deferentially. (Plus, maybe, a higher proportion of Trump voters died from Covid.)

What about future elections? It all depends on postal voting going back to previous rules. If 2020 was a one-off, and the methodology of voting returns to normal, then I expect the Republicans to bounce back next time assuming that have a half-sharp candidate. Especially if Biden become beholden to any sort of BLM or woke agenda from that wing of his party.

I hate to say it but Trump was unlucky.
    Not a theory I want to accept - and I don't - but it is definitely possible. It was closer than I thought it'd be so would he have won without Covid? Maybe. Thankfully we'll never know. I don't want to think about it too much tbh. Be like dwelling on that lorry that nearly ploughed into me on the M25 that time. Technical objection though. I would not say unlucky. I'd more say that if he somehow got through his 4 years without a big, high viz crisis coming along to expose him, that would have made him a very fortunate orange-hued wannabe fascist indeed.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Only if he does deliver.

Such as?
    If there's a deal I expect the Internal Market Act to be set aside as redundant.

State aid I don't want international laws broken. I have specifically and repeatedly said I want standard international style LPF restrictions. Call it Canada style.
    Breaking international law was what we all voted for. Why don't you respect the referendum?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Rough if you're an illegal emigrant. (Are there such people?)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If my USP on this site had been telling people that they were letting their personal hatred of a candidate cloud their betting judgement I surely wouldn't be spending my time now after my horse lost expressing disbelief about the winner due to my personal dislike of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Watching the Biden picks’ speeches on CNN. Patriotic, diplomatic, moderate. Suddenly it feels real. Like the end of an unlamented era.

Yes, what a weirdly normal and competent bunch.
  • Options
    I warned on here, weeks and weeks ago, that this would be what happened once ministers had got a taste for testing and spending every day poring over healths stats and death rates.

Now Hancock wants mass-testing for the common COLD - even after covid
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8981739/Matt-Hancock-claims-Tier-Three-restrictions-lockdown-werent-tough-enough.html
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

Only if he does deliver.

I do. I get you completely. I read everyone's posts on here and there are plenty of very clearly expressed ones from you. So of course I understand your Brexit wants and needs. You are looking for us to take back control of our laws, borders and money. Plus our fish.
  • Options

One source said the dry run caused delays because the French had not deployed enough staff needed for a live operation and once properly resourced more lanes would be open to help ease the congestion.
    I feel safer already.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

Suddenly the man-child that is Trump seems so irrelevant.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

I’ll call him irrelevant when the nuclear football is safely in Biden’s hands without all of us having been blown up. Not before.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

I do wonder if Trump has done permanent damage to the link of the Armed Forces generally voting GOP.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331228373666902017

In Rage Mattis comes across as a genuinely class act. I would take criticism by Trump as a compliment at this point.
  • Options

I warned on here, weeks and weeks ago, that this would be what happened once ministers had got a taste for testing and spending every day poring over healths stats and death rates.

Now Hancock wants mass-testing for the common COLD - even after covid
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8981739/Matt-Hancock-claims-Tier-Three-restrictions-lockdown-werent-tough-enough.html

Headline not borne out by body. He said nothing about colds nor mass-testing, he said go to the doctor if you have flu like symptoms which has always been good advice..
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

No party that employed Cummings or Patel can be considered to be in favour of law and order.
    The Tory party hasn't employed either of them.

Beyond the technicality though Cummings is/was clearly a loose cannon. Patel, despite her clear personal failings, is perhaps a decent Home Secretary.

A short Asian woman is a clear change from the past. Theresa May was a, (tall) rather intimidating, white, Anglo-Saxon, woman.

Patel will clearly be (mostly) judged on how she does her job. I think she's doing quite well, and I think she'll improve. I somewhat vaguely think she may be next PM, but I'm very sure she's doing great things for our perceptions as to prejudices with every minute that she serves.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Err, haven't I seen this one?

The Sentinal, I think was the starting point.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Ross is doing a grand job, all that brown nosing and his team are still heading for the hills, they see the apocalypse coming.
  • Options

That will be 10 miles then
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well said.

He voted and others for the Brexit Party in a Euro election to an inconsequential talking shop, specifically in order to force a change in the person leading the UK Government.

Had he and others not done so, and the Conservative Party had collapsed as May fought and lost a second general election in the midst of a mass defection by her electorate, then it is quite possible that Farage in his emerging guise as your 21st century fascist would be sitting there now leading a party with growing support and perhaps 100 or more seats in another hung UK parliament that a year on was still as deadlocked as the last. A bit like Weimar Germany after a party emerged from nowhere in the 1930 federal election, and look where that led.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

Beyond the technicality though Cummings is/was clearly a loose cannon. Patel, despite her clear personal failings, is perhaps a decent Home Secretary.

A short Asian woman is a clear change from the past. Theresa May was a, (tall) rather intimidating, white, Anglo-Saxon, woman.

Patel will clearly be (mostly) judged on how she does her job. I think she's doing quite well, and I think she'll improve. I somewhat vaguely think she may be next PM, but I'm very sure she's doing great things for our perceptions as to prejudices with every minute that she serves.

Actually they have, I remember when Priti Patel used to be Press Secretary to William Hague and Cummings used to work for Gove when Gove was in opposition.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    ydoethur said:

JACK_W said:

I’ll call him irrelevant when the nuclear football is safely in Biden’s hands without all of us having been blown up. Not before.
    Not you too .... are you a semi-detached coup watcher now?!? .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Truly a brave hero.

To take it on the narrow technicality - are you sure Cummings has not been employed by the Tory party? I know in his most recent role he was paid by the government, but I think he was previously a policy wonk for Michael Gove under the pay of central office (although I could be wrong).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    New Xmas rules already causing ructions and upset within my extended family.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,783
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    Err, haven't I seen this one?

The Sentinal, I think was the starting point.
    Not 1: 4 : 9 t/w/h ratio, though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    All I can hear right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfe8tCcHnKY

Which is a joy because Mr Meeks earwormed me this morning with some Europop that I had repressed.
  • Options

Do we know what policy differences, just out of ccuriosity?
    Has a list as long as her arm to choose from, or even both arms and legs.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

New Xmas rules already causing ructions and upset within my extended family.

Tis the season for family squabbles
This discussion has been closed.