Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,691

Worst result is a very narrow win for one or the other.

No excuse for violence whatever happens from the various protestors.
  • Options
    Florida called for Trump :(
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Wall CNN guy for President

Need him doing the COVID updates.
    "Need to get that R rate down elsewhere".
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Stocky said:

it looks like Biden may lose Florida by a VERY fine margin. However, he would have got closer than Hilary did. So that justifies some optimism overall.

Hilary lost it 49-48... If Nytimes is right, Biden is going to lose it by 3%!?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    kle4 said:

It would be ironic if the Hispanic vote is what saves Trump in this election.

I remember a Daily Show piece years ago all about the diversity of what it meant to be hispanic, yet a lot of the time some of the same people, politics wise, seem to act as though it is a monolithic group.
    Yes, that's kind of the point. A source of polling error could be weighting based on false generalisations.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Can someone confirm - I am not watching any TV coverage, I am *definitely* going to bed in a minute. Is all this 'Biden doing well here compared to Hillary', not just because of the early voting Dems who have already been counted?

No, he is outperforming among whites in 100% counties, but Trump is overperforming among Latinos, especially in Florida.
  • Options
    The needles now have Trump up by 3 in both Florida and Georgia.
  • Options
    Biden wins New Jersey
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

The Florida Cuban vote is not typical of the hispanic vote elsewhere. We have know this all along and I think we need some votes in from other hispanic areas before we can draw any conclusions from Miami.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jesus is Trafalgar going to be right and HYUFD going to be vindicated, glad I didn't make a prediction

Depends what you by vindicated, since some will have said the predictions were poor, but others were saying the predictions might be right, but not based on actual polling.
    If some bloke can get the results correct without actually doing any polling and multiple companies get it completely wrong with polling...then who cares if he polls or not?
    Well we'd care for a couple of reasons - if it was a pure guess, then well done but it means nothing in terms of predictive quality for anything else, but if he has some other way of estimating it which was proven right, that that means something for whatever else he would say in future races perhaps.

I find the defensiveness about whether he polls or not to be extremely silly and very telling. He can be congratulated for being right whether it was a guess, some predictive model or based on polling, but the level of congratulations would be different, but the defensive brigade only care about being right, even if it was based on flipping a coin.
    Well I wasn't necessarily praising that Trafalgar guy who could have just got lucky with gut feeling.

My point was that polls aren't really showing themselves to be much better than some random guesses.
    You might but plenty have. You're right polls are sometimes way off. And of course they seek to correct issues from previous elections, and may get that correction wrong. They certainly are not perfect. But there is a difference with someone guessing right, and at least trying to poll it right.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    The Pennsylvania exit poll has Trump winning men 54:44, but losing women 56:42...
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kle4 said:

I remember a Daily Show piece years ago all about the diversity of what it meant to be hispanic, yet a lot of the time some of the same people, politics wise, seem to act as though it is a monolithic group.
    Many Hispanics consider themselves White. Try telling a Cuban he is the same as a Hounduran.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Florida called for Trump :(

Who called it?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

it looks like Biden may lose Florida by a VERY fine margin. However, he would have got closer than Hilary did. So that justifies some optimism overall.

Hilary lost it 49-48... If Nytimes is right, Biden is going to lose it by 3%!?
    Apologies, I thought Hilary lost it by more than that
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Spreadex spreads have been suspended for an age. What's the point of a spread market if it keeps getting suspended?
  • Options
    I really wish they'd ditch the breaking Con HOLD Hampshire North East crap.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Pennsylvania exit poll has Trump winning men 54:44, but losing women 56:42...

Tight, very tight.
  • Options
    I want more analysis on Ohio please.. written off Florida.
  • Options

I really wish they'd ditch the breaking Con HOLD Hampshire North East crap.

Oy Hampshire is great shh
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    Quincel said:

Can someone confirm - I am not watching any TV coverage, I am *definitely* going to bed in a minute. Is all this 'Biden doing well here compared to Hillary', not just because of the early voting Dems who have already been counted?

No, he is outperforming among whites in 100% counties, but Trump is overperforming among Latinos, especially in Florida.
    I'm not asking about their colour - what I am saying is that it's been said many times that the early/postal vote will be heavily weighted Democrat, and I'm asking if this is being taken into account when discussing Biden looking good compared to Hillary based on a partial count.
  • Options
    I'm feeling a bit happier again. Florida may be lost but very very tight there.
  • Options

Any idea why the Cuban vote has swung so heavily to Trump?

And are we expecting that to effect other states or just Florida?

Apparently they believe that Biden is a raving communist and with a bunch of people who fled Castro........
    There was earlier polling that had identified a demographic swing towards Trump from college-educated Latino voters.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Mitch McConnell re-elected (KY), in papal Catholicism news.
  • Options
    It's weird to hear CNN being very cautious still about Florida while the NYT time has it 95% change for Trump, 1.7-5 lead.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Georgia looking increasingly like a Trump hold.
  • Options
    Georgia needle shifting to Trump fast too now it seems.
  • Options

I'm feeling a bit happier again. Florida may be lost but very very tight there.

No, he is not. He is doing worse than HRC.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's weird to hear CNN being very cautious still about Florida while the NYT time has it 95% change for Trump, 1.7-5 lead.

CNN seems very reluctant to recognise how much of the panhandle is left compared to the rest of the state.
  • Options

Quincel said:

I'm not asking about their colour - what I am saying is that it's been said many times that the early/postal vote will be heavily weighted Democrat, and I'm asking if this is being taken into account when discussing Biden looking good compared to Hillary based on a partial count.
    No one seems to know.

It appears that votes came in in a random order rather than early/postal votes first in Florida. But every state does things differently.
  • Options
    This is going to be a narrow Trump win again isn't it :(
  • Options
    Pennsylvania exit poll:

Men: 54-44 Trump
    Women: 56-42 Biden

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/exit-polls/president/pennsylvania
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Anyone still thinking Texas is in range for Biden? Big EC row-back for Trump if not.
  • Options
    Biden ahead in Pennsylvania, Texas, Georgia, Ohio, New Hampshire

But really really tight and I can't compute to 2016 at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pennsylvania exit poll:

Margin of error! What were the state polls in PA?
  • Options
    Is there a NYTimes needle for other states? Just seems to be NC, FL, GA at the moment...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Also with more women voting too, right?
  • Options

Georgia? Thought that was looking like a Trump hold?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Tight, very tight.
    My 279-259 prediction is looking okay at the moment.
  • Options
    Would be hilarious if people went to bed now with Florida going Trump and thinking "its 2016 all over again" and woke up with Texas going Biden.

Would be 2016 in reverse.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Ahead, but not many votes counted perhaps.
  • Options

Texas is because Dallas is 81% counted!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Also with more women voting too, right?
    If the exit poll is spot on, Biden will win the state. But that's a big maybe.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Tight, very tight.
    I'd take that
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Ohio was considered a Trump hold, that is looking less certain.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Early votes counted first.
  • Options

Depends on PA.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Is there a NYTimes needle for other states? Just seems to be NC, FL, GA at the moment...

No, they are only doing those 3. Something about how those should count fairly fast.
  • Options

Anyone still thinking Texas is in range for Biden? Big EC row-back for Trump if not.

Denton county looks good for Biden

98% reported Trump 203k Biden 175k

2016 was Trump 171k Clinton 111k

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Tight, very tight.
    Yes, this isn't a landslide.

Anti-Trump sentiment across the pond got ahead of itself.
  • Options
    Florida gave me 45 minutes of 'oh no not again.'

But I'm much happier now.

Having written that, Biden does need to convert his clear swings to actual ECVs.
  • Options
    Texas watchers:

We've basically had one complete count so far. Denton county, which was Trump by 20 points in 2016. This is a large suburban county outside Dallas.

In 2020, it's Trump +7.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Early votes counted first.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Despite the FL situation, I still feel Biden is doing pretty well, the suburb votes seem to be doing well for him so far in some states and if he does well with those in the right states he will win them. What this does mean as others have said, we are on for a long night, no quick FL Biden win and early night! But wheres the fun in that :)
  • Options
    That NYT model has been good for Florida. Hope they do it for PA, OH and MI as well.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pennsylvania exit poll:

Lol the lawyers are rubbing their hands already.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That NYT model has been good for Florida. Hope they do it for PA, OH and MI as well.

Y'all got anymore of those.. needles? :D

I think it's the only three they are doing unfortunately.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    This election is going to the courts to settle, isn't it?

Barely worth staying up any longer.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Tight, very tight.
    He seems like he might possibly – just possibly – pick up Ohio. Which would be weird, as it wasn't really in play. Dunno. Odd things going on.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

We've basically had one complete count so far. Denton county, which was Trump by 20 points in 2016. This is a large suburban county outside Dallas.

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

Interesting....
  • Options
    I feel like the CNN guys are a great double act, but I cannot tell whether it is intentional that Blitzer is all 'Wow, look how close it is', then map guy comes in with 'it's early voting and not many in yet'.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes. North Carolina - still <1% counted. They really should come up with a consistent way of counting the vote in each state
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Pennsylvania exit poll Urban Biden 77% Trump 20%, Suburban Trump 50% Biden 48%, Rural Trump 70% Biden 30%

Men Trump 54% Biden 44% Women Biden 56% Trump 42%

• Options
    No COVID, and Orange Man would have won, despite all the shit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

Is that enough to swing the state, if replicated in similar areas elsewhere?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

A 6.5% swing for Biden isn't enough though
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

That's very interesting. It was +8 for Cruz in 2018 vs +20% for Trump in 2016.

I wonder whether TX will be like 2018 - small Rep majority.

One caveat - the Hispanic counties don't seem to have shown much in the way of heavy voting
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

Might depend on Harris County over-performing.
  • Options
    Another Texas County has reached 98% counted.

Williamson voted by ten points for Trump in 2016. In 2020, Biden has won it by 3.
  • Options
    A tentative sign that this is beginning to look like 2016 ... in reverse.

A brief moment when it looked like Trump might do it (Florida) but Biden's getting swings elsewhere now.

CNN's John King's argument is that to win the Presidency you need to win the suburbs and on that method Biden would do it.

But it's a bit nerve-wracking!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,824

Crazy Nancy's shenanigans a couple of weeks ago were a bad omen for the Dems as I said at the time... ;)
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Despite the FL situation, I still feel Biden is doing pretty well, the suburb votes seem to be doing well for him so far in some states and if he does well with those in the right states he will win them. What this does mean as others have said, we are on for a long night, no quick FL Biden win and early night! But wheres the fun in that :)

Note my point about Kenton in KY. Across from Cincinnati. Trump the same vote as 2016.
  • Options
    Needle now up to 86% that Trump wins Georgia. North Carolina still 66% Biden, but with under 1% counted.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    edit
  • Options
    Florida safe for Trump now

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Williamson voted by ten points for Trump in 2016. In 2020, Biden has won it by 3.

That's astonishing! Wow.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

Statewide yes it is. >4.5% swing is what's needed.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Pennsylvania exit poll:

Do we know to whether that is election day only or whether it tries to take into account the early voting?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Trump wins Fla and Ga but loses Tx?
    Crazy.
  • Options
    CNN wall guy is getting a bit stressed now, and its letting his bias start to show as he keeps doing the "We" when talking about Democrats.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fingers crossed. 🤞🏻
  • Options
    The two counties that have completed counting in Texas both show swings sufficient to give the Lone Star state to Biden.

BUT. It's only two counties.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

No. It's a close but no cigar.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,824
    Trump won't lose Texas lol!
  • Options
    San Antonio and Austin have nor t reported any numbers yet.
  • Options
    GA at +5 for Trump according to the NYTimes needle... vs. +1 for Biden on 538 average.
    That's the second strong data point that Trump is outperforming significantly...
  • Options

Denton county looks good for Biden

98% reported Trump 203k Biden 175k

2016 was Trump 171k Clinton 111k

Williamson county

98% reported Biden 132k Trump 122k

2016 was Trump 104k Clinton 85k

Biden clearly making progress in Texas, no idea if sufficient.
  • Options
    Why's NC so slow at reporting? Still <1%
  • Options
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

CNN seems very reluctant to recognise how much of the panhandle is left compared to the rest of the state.
    I think that is correct.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Greetings Ms Apocalypse, long time no hear!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    rcs1000 said:

The two counties that have completed counting in Texas both show swings sufficient to give the Lone Star state to Biden.

6.8 on BF.....

I've had some.
  • Options

Why's NC so slow at reporting? Still <1%</p>

On the CNN map only 500 votes are reported. I guess one polling station got theirs in early and the rest are taking their time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Texas watchers:

In 2020, it's Trump +7.

No. It's a close but no cigar.
    Yes, it would mean a Biden win.

Trump only won by nine points in 2016. If he's losing places by 3 that he won by ten, then it'll be VERY cose.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Biden is only up on Clinton by a few % in Harris County.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    In the long run, Texas could be the new California. A lot of people are looking at relocating because of the high cost of living.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Georgia up to Trump +5 on the needle now.
  • Options
    Would be funny if the Dems got Texas but not Florida. I'll stick with thinking they won't, as the safe prediction though.
  • Options
    Alternative map from DecisionDesk.

https://results.decisiondeskhq.com
This discussion has been closed.