Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In spite of latest polls Trump is a 56% chance on Betfair to retain Florida – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

I just want to comment on *why* we've not seen vaccine efficacy news yet, and why that's probably good news.

These massive trials are blinded. They give the vaccine to 10,000 people and a placebo to 10,000 people. This means 20,000 people have recieved either the vaccine or the placebo.

The participants are then monitored. Once a certain number (probably around 50) have gotten CV19, then the trial is unblinded for those 50. How many got the vaccine and how many the placebo.

If it's 25/25, then the vaccine is a clear failure (although it might still result in far more asymptomatic or low intensity infections, and therefore be very useful). If it's 50/0, then it's a massive success.

None of the trials has yet gotten the required number of CV19 cases. This is partly because the big trials are in the Southern hemisphere and as it warms up and people spend more time outdoors, the numbers of cases in Brazil and South Africa have come down sharply.

But it also suggests that people with the vaccine are not getting sick. The more time it takes to get to 50 cases, the more likely it is that the vaccine is working.

Given what's at stake (and I get the ethics) why not call for volunteers to take a shot of the virus and give them a million quid each for it?

It's better than bankrupting the West.
    They're starting those trials in the UK now: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02821-4

The problem with them, though, is that the virus is primarily one of the upper respiratory tract. An injection of the virus directly into the bloodstream is a very different way to get it, so you may get different results - either worse for the participant as they are overwhelmed by the virus or better as the immune system gets a good look at it early.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I just want to comment on *why* we've not seen vaccine efficacy news yet, and why that's probably good news.

These massive trials are blinded. They give the vaccine to 10,000 people and a placebo to 10,000 people. This means 20,000 people have recieved either the vaccine or the placebo.

The participants are then monitored. Once a certain number (probably around 50) have gotten CV19, then the trial is unblinded for those 50. How many got the vaccine and how many the placebo.

If it's 25/25, then the vaccine is a clear failure (although it might still result in far more asymptomatic or low intensity infections, and therefore be very useful). If it's 50/0, then it's a massive success.

None of the trials has yet gotten the required number of CV19 cases. This is partly because the big trials are in the Southern hemisphere and as it warms up and people spend more time outdoors, the numbers of cases in Brazil and South Africa have come down sharply.

But it also suggests that people with the vaccine are not getting sick. The more time it takes to get to 50 cases, the more likely it is that the vaccine is working.

Plus it presumably also means that they are not seeing evidence of nasty side-effects.
    Yes, there have been a remarkably small number of pauses: we've had the Brazilian guy who died of Covid (who'd got the placebo), the guy who was diagnosed with MS (who'd also had the placebo) and the spinal inflammation that resulted in a night in hospital (vaccine). And the reality is that the last might simply be a complete coincidence. If you give a vaccine to 20,000 people, some of them are going to get sick in the subsequent couple of months.
    My son had a massive reaction to the MMR jab. Soaring temperature, the worst hives imaginable. It didn't get better. Quite a concern.

It was Chicken Pox. He got it on the same day.
  • Options
    On turnout: of course the other possibility is that the final figures won't be as high as people are projecting; if so, that means fewer in-person voters tomorrow than assumed, which in turn means that Biden's large early-vote advantage will turn into a whole-election advantage. Essentially Trump's chances depend entirely on a massive in-person vote tomorrow.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

Great bet from kinabulu, followed up this afternoon by Richard Nabavi for Trump to secure >70million votes at odds of 1.81 with BetfairEx has now shortened to 1.41.
    Real value like this doesn't last long once it is outed on PB.com. Thanks to the two gents concerned for highlighting it.

I got that when it was first raised, so thanks from me too
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    We have hit 70% of 2016 votes

Assuming an 18% increase from that as per the EV Blog I posted today we are at 59.1% of 2020 likely Turnout
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

witter.com/HughRBrechin/status/1323316972046737409

https://twitter.com/HughRBrechin/status/1323317246710730754?s=19
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

I detest people like David Allen Green.

Yes, he's 'right': Magna Carta wasn't written in English, and nor is article 61 relevant or still valid, but it's this endless sneering at totems of British and English history that grates with me.

People like him want to attack the keystone events, myths and stories on which this nation is built - which is important to all nations - because he sees it as an obstacle to his politics.
    Lol. You're the one bringing politics into this. Stop getting wound up over nothing for goodness sake.
    If you read his tweets you'll see he mocks 'patriots' and throws in 'olde Englishe mythe making' into it as well. If you don't think that's political then that's because you already agree with him, and are therefore blind to it.

He's technically ''right, but that's besides the point: generations of Englishmen (and many others around the world) have taken inspiration from a handful of the principles first articulated in it to advance the cause of individual liberty over the last 800 years, and used it as a rallying call for action. It even influenced the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.

That's why it's important.

The Magna Carta is incredibly important and is unquestionably one of the foundation stones of individual liberty in this country. However, those who proclaim its importance while simultaneously supporting efforts to emasculate an independent judiciary, which is the only guarantor of individual liberty we have, not only deserve mockery but also deep scorn.

I totally agree with you.
    As a centrist liberal who absolutely without qualification supports an independent judiciary can I just ask what precisely are the proposals to prevent them being exactly that? I know there's lots of rhetoric, but is there any substance?

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    Just watching a few snips of The Donald on the campaign trail, doing one of his unscripted comic Capo schticks. Conversational. Taking the audience into his confidence. Bit like Clinton (Bill), who of all the former US Presidents he most resembles. He'll lose, but you can see why they love him, in a way that a conventional pol like Biden could never manage.
  • Options

Don't do drugs, this is what happens afterwards.

https://twitter.com/ianbrown/status/1323204141058035712

So many of the late 90s / noughties pop stars appear to have gone mental.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Election Project has Florida at 8,974k - higher than figure posted on here a few mins ago.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

50k votes difference yes, though only 0.1% diff on the R and D numbers overall
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Given what's at stake (and I get the ethics) why not call for volunteers to take a shot of the virus and give them a million quid each for it?

They're starting those trials in the UK now: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02821-4

The problem with them, though, is that the virus is primarily one of the upper respiratory tract. An injection of the virus directly into the bloodstream is a very different way to get it, so you may get different results - either worse for the participant as they are overwhelmed by the virus or better as the immune system gets a good look at it early.
    Surely, you could infect them with exposure to aerosolized virus rather than injection? But given that initial viral dose seems to be quite important in disease progression, you'd have to have a fairly large study to have meaningful statistics for the effectiveness of the vaccine against a range of different initial viral doses.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    kinabalu said:

I'm going for the landslide. Howay Sleepy Joe.

Yay! That's the way. Go with the macro feel not the micro technicals. You don't win the PV by 10 to 12 million and not sweep the EC.
    What's wrong with Indiana?
  • Options

Just watching a few snips of The Donald on the campaign trail, doing one of his unscripted comic Capo schticks. Conversational. Taking the audience into his confidence. Bit like Clinton (Bill), who of all the former US Presidents he most resembles. He'll lose, but you can see why they love him, in a way that a conventional pol like Biden could never manage.

He should have a reality tv show or something....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Plus it presumably also means that they are not seeing evidence of nasty side-effects.
    Yes, there have been a remarkably small number of pauses: we've had the Brazilian guy who died of Covid (who'd got the placebo), the guy who was diagnosed with MS (who'd also had the placebo) and the spinal inflammation that resulted in a night in hospital (vaccine). And the reality is that the last might simply be a complete coincidence. If you give a vaccine to 20,000 people, some of them are going to get sick in the subsequent couple of months.
    My son had a massive reaction to the MMR jab. Soaring temperature, the worst hives imaginable. It didn't get better. Quite a concern.

It was Chicken Pox. He got it on the same day.
    That is a wonderful anecdote that powerfully demonstrates the problems of trials involving very large numbers. I am also certainly going to use it when trying to get that point across in workshops.
  • Options

Business worried about ‘bunker’ mentality in 10 Downing Street

Executives increasingly worried about disconnect between Boris Johnson and industry as coronavirus lockdown looms

https://www.ft.com/content/ae8d8986-7265-4f2b-b121-5f93124f824c?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They are only worrying about this now? How long ago did he say "F*** business"?
    That FT article is horrible for Johnson. Horrible.

My daughter, who is not political, watched Boris's lockdown "broadcast" and pronounced it a waste of her time. She said he looked clueless and like he was making it up as he went along.

If my daughter has reached that verdict with her non-existant political antennae then Boris is in far worse trouble than the FT article indicates.

He is toast.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited November 2020

I'm still reeling from Robbie Williams from being a pizzagate believer.

What next Gina G retweeting Alistair Hames 'trend lines', Baby Spice blames Covid-19 on 5G, and James Dean Bradfield enthusiastically retweeting the likes of Toby Young, James Dellingpole, and Peter Hitchens?
  • Options

Keeping up with the Trumps? No, Trumping the Trumps.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

You could have had long odds on Bez being the 90s Manc rockstar to have the sensible political views by 2020.
  • Options

Executives increasingly worried about disconnect between Boris Johnson and industry as coronavirus lockdown looms

https://www.ft.com/content/ae8d8986-7265-4f2b-b121-5f93124f824c?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

My daughter, who is not political, watched Boris's lockdown "broadcast" and pronounced it a waste of her time. She said he looked clueless and like he was making it up as he went along.

If my daughter has reached that verdict with her non-existant political antennae then Boris is in far worse trouble than the FT article indicates.

He is toast.

Boris Johnson is unquestionably the worst Prime Minister of modern times, probably of all time. He takes abysmal to places I don't think anyone could ever have imagined - even those of us who knew he would be a complete disaster.

• Options
    Looks like the judge in the Houston drive through voting case might be thinking of the option of allowing the votes cast to be 'legal' then make it illegal from now! That would be a compromise though still wrong IMO. I can see days and weeks of this kind of stuff sadly. Court case still ongoing though so who knows
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    Major incident declared by NW ambulances. Sheer volume of calls.
  • Options

What next Gina G retweet Alistair Hames, Baby Spice blames Covid-19 on 5G, and James Dean Bradfield enthusiastically retweeting the likes of Toby Young, James Dellingpole, and Peter Hitchens?
    Robbie Williams being a nutter seems about as surprising as a bear being in the woods.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Press excluded from Texas Harris County case

Houston Chronicle reporter Zach Despart (zachdespart on twitter) has been allowed in and is livetweeting the arguments.
    I don't think the votes will be chucked based on my reading of the case so far. But the people bringing this case are running to be judges :s
  • Options
    SPIN's ECV markets are creeping towards Biden. He's now at 311-317.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Major incident declared by NW ambulances. Sheer volume of calls.

Coupled with the sheer number of paramedics having to self isolate.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It didn't take rcs1000 long to have gotten into the habit. I bet he's gotten an accent too to go with the new vocabulary.
  • Options

What next Gina G retweet Alistair Hames, Baby Spice blames Covid-19 on 5G, and James Dean Bradfield enthusiastically retweeting the likes of Toby Young, James Dellingpole, and Peter Hitchens?
    Robbie Williams being a nutter seems about as surprising as a bear being in the woods.
    I once met Robbie Williams, back in early 2000s, he was so lovely towards me.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

He is toast.

Boris Johnson is unquestionably the worst Prime Minister of modern times, probably of all time. He takes abysmal to places I don't think anyone could ever have imagined - even those of us who knew he would be a complete disaster.

This may be true, but the FT article was Phil Space simplistic hack journalism and completely unworthy of this often decent newspaper, dragging out every tired cliche in the book.

• Options
    Mal557 said:

Looks like the judge in the Houston drive through voting case might be thinking of the option of allowing the votes cast to be 'legal' then make it illegal from now! That would be a compromise though still wrong IMO. I can see days and weeks of this kind of stuff sadly. Court case still ongoing though so who knows

An injunction going forwards would be one thing, though ludicrously short notice, throwing out votes already cast is madness.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

If he used humour a bit more - of which he's capable - and employed a touch of comic self-deprecation, he might have done a lot better. People would've rooted for him despite his incapabilities which are legion.
    He just can't help his hatred for Obama etc take over.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Yes, he's 'right': Magna Carta wasn't written in English, and nor is article 61 relevant or still valid, but it's this endless sneering at totems of British and English history that grates with me.

People like him want to attack the keystone events, myths and stories on which this nation is built - which is important to all nations - because he sees it as an obstacle to his politics.
    Lol. You're the one bringing politics into this. Stop getting wound up over nothing for goodness sake.
    If you read his tweets you'll see he mocks 'patriots' and throws in 'olde Englishe mythe making' into it as well. If you don't think that's political then that's because you already agree with him, and are therefore blind to it.

He's technically ''right, but that's besides the point: generations of Englishmen (and many others around the world) have taken inspiration from a handful of the principles first articulated in it to advance the cause of individual liberty over the last 800 years, and used it as a rallying call for action. It even influenced the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.

The Magna Carta is incredibly important and is unquestionably one of the foundation stones of individual liberty in this country. However, those who proclaim its importance while simultaneously supporting efforts to emasculate an independent judiciary, which is the only guarantor of individual liberty we have, not only deserve mockery but also deep scorn.

As a centrist liberal who absolutely without qualification supports an independent judiciary can I just ask what precisely are the proposals to prevent them being exactly that? I know there's lots of rhetoric, but is there any substance?

For now it is emasculation rather than attacks on independence - see the Internal Market Bill, for example, and the review of judicial review currently taking place. If you take away judges' ability to hear certain kinds of cases, whether they are independent or not is immaterial. I suspect that full-scale politicisation of the judiciary, as is now happening in the US, won't happen here as not enough lawyers would play ball.

• Options

He was more than likely totally off his tits.
  • Options

He was more than likely totally off his tits.
    Possibly, but he was still lovely.
  • Options

*Sob*
  • Options

Mal557 said:

An injunction going forwards would be one thing, though ludicrously short notice, throwing out votes already cast is madness.
    I had thought the practice had already been stopped by a previous court order and that this case is just about the votes cast. Or am I wrong?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

It was certainly translated into English and French.

I don't think it's the killer point that he thinks it is.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Reporter in court says

Rachel Adams-Heard
    @racheladhe
    ·
    5m
    Judge Hanen appears to be making two distinctions for potential actions requested by the GOP petitioners: 1) Invalidating the 127,000 drive-thru votes cast prior to the petition and 2) Halting drive-thru voting for the remainder of the election.
  • Options

*Sob*
    What did you close at?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It didn't take rcs1000 long to have gotten into the habit. I bet he's gotten an accent too to go with the new vocabulary.
    I hated 'gotten' when I first got here. Now I use it almost as much as 'got', and in some cases, 'gotten' feels more natural.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Mal557 said:

I had thought the practice had already been stopped by a previous court order and that this case is just about the votes cast. Or am I wrong?
    No it's not been stopped. The Texan courts have refused to allow this case hence it now going to the Feds.

Apparently there's an argument that it might be lawful for early voting but not for on the day voting, so could be stopped for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    The race is tightening towards Trump, but I think he's about 3% short of where he needs to be.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272

On turnout: of course the other possibility is that the final figures won't be as high as people are projecting; if so, that means fewer in-person voters tomorrow than assumed, which in turn means that Biden's large early-vote advantage will turn into a whole-election advantage. Essentially Trump's chances depend entirely on a massive in-person vote tomorrow.

In 2016 I think 60% of the vote was in-person, 82 million.

If we get the same number of in-person votes tomorrow then that's 177m votes in total, plus whatever is in the post for California and other states that allow late-arriving ballots postmarked on election day.

So you could have relatively quiet voting tomorrow and still reach a high overall turnout of 160-170m.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The race is tightening towards Trump, but I think he's about 3% short of where he needs to be.

Out of curiosity what makes you say it's tightening?

The polls seem to have been remarkably stable and if anything slightly lengthen against Trump. Not seen anything tighten yet.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited November 2020

If "the great reset" means things like high street shops closing down and people using Amazon to buy everything it doesn't seem like a particularly far-fetched theory atm.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,308
    Sean_F said:

In key states he's getting to a polling error, or electoral shenanigans, away from victory. I don't think high turnout helps him though.
  • Options
    Apparently the Texan court case is now on Zoom if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.txs.uscourts.gov/
  • Options
    So Jon Ralston the respected Nevada journalist has posted his final views on the state race. As expected and the figures he's been blogging were indicating, he's putting Biden to win by around 4%. This sounds about right to me and the reasoning he gives , are, in his usual way, pretty solid. The only proviso I add is his first line 'It’s not impossible for President Donald Trump to win Nevada.' because ofc its not. But I am confident his prediction will be right though possibly having Biden 1 or 2% too low.
    https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/biden-will-win-nevada-blue-wave-should-help-down-ballot
  • Options
    Telegraph science reporter on the graph of predicted deaths that was shown to 15m viewers on BBC on Sat:

"The government is refusing to tell me what models each of these lines represent. They have shown a graph at a national press conference that they are refusing to release the key for. It's extraordinary."
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

He is toast.

He was bad before; then he got COVID-19 and he’s never really got back to where he was before.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited November 2020
    If Trump loses Pennsylvania the only realistic way I can see for him to win the election overall is to hold Wisconsin and gain Nevada. (Assumes he loses Michigan).
  • Options
    My view, for what it's worth, is that while Biden is certainly favourite, this is not a foregone conclusion:

1. There are a number of polls where the national share is 5% or less - IBD/TIPP, Harris, Zogby, Rasmussen (yes I know but they did do well in 2016 as well as appallingly in 2018). If these polls turn out to be correct then we're in a situation where the electoral college is a toss-up. IBD/TIPP is down to 3% today.

2. The fallacy that the 2018 polls got it right. They did in the popular vote and House, but not in the Senate, where 538 had 51:49 as the strong favourite, and the eventual 53:47 was on a par with the Democrats flipping the senate in probability. Given the low number of seats contested and the even lower number of swing seats this was a big miss. Which leads to...

3. Despite the understandable reluctance to countenance it, Trump has star quality and the ability to get the vote out where it matters - including traditional non-voters. He did it in 2016 in the rust belt, and he did it in 2018 in the key senate races. This could again point towards a race where Biden wins the popular vote comfortably (and I expect him to) but Trump does just enough where it matters - and this is where pollsters have really struggled in the last 4 years.

4. And where does it matter? Again, the campaigning does not match the polls. If Biden were truly 8-10 points ahead then they'd surely be in Texas, yet Biden chose to go to Minnesota? Easy to conclude that the internal polling is much tighter than the external polling.

All that said, Biden is favourite, I would rather like the markets give him a 2 in 3 chance. But I'm not sure that what appears to be an editorial line that Biden is a certainty, that the only value is in betting on Democrat targets and that any polls predicting a tight race are incompetent or corrupt, is justified either.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

I hated 'gotten' when I first got here. Now I use it almost as much as 'got', and in some cases, 'gotten' feels more natural.
    Glad to hear it found favor with you.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994

Just joined it . There are about 400 of us on Zoom. Practice for tomorrow night?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629

Just to make it clear again as I no people here love to bring up my record, I am not making a prediction.

I am sure whoever gets it wrong will have their record brought up constantly won't they? That would be fair, bollocks they will though

If you didn’t keep bringing it up, it might fairly quickly be forgotten.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Just joined it . There are about 400 of us on Zoom. Practice for tomorrow night?
    Let us know if there's any news please.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    I've said it before, what if we ignore Florida? I suspect its going to be less relevant. I'd say the 56% on Trump winning it are only marginally too high.

This is bound to come back and kick me in the nuts...
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    My final EC map. Barely any change over the past several days. Biden edges closer in Florida but Trumps takes for a 0.5 point win. Nevada edges back to a 6 point Biden win.

Of the battleground Biden flips the rust belt and takes WI MI and PA. Biden also takes AZ GA and NC. Finally he takes both NE 02 and ME 02. Trump holds TX FL OH and IA.

Totals Biden 322 .. Trump 216

Click the map to create your own at 270toWin.com

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

He is toast.

He was bad before; then he got COVID-19 and he’s never really got back to where he was before.
    He's doing his job. Perhaps not even slightly well, but doing so in these times is no sinecure.

I think he's doing ok. I am very happy that he's the PM in this time of crisis.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Just to make it clear again as I no people here love to bring up my record, I am not making a prediction.

I am sure whoever gets it wrong will have their record brought up constantly won't they? That would be fair, bollocks they will though

It doesn't make any difference. I'll just be sure to bring up those who get it wrong in return.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Nigelb said:

It doesn't make any difference. I'll just be sure to bring up those who get it wrong in return.
    Have you tried?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited November 2020
    JACK_W said:

My final EC map. Barely any change over the past several days. Biden edges closer in Florida but Trumps takes for a 0.5 point win. Nevada edges back to a 6 point Biden win.

Of the battleground Biden flips the rust belt and takes WI MI and PA. Biden also takes AZ GA and NC. Finally he takes both NE 02 and ME 02. Trump holds TX FL OH and IA.

Interestingly, that's tighter than your prediction in 2016 which was Clinton 341 .. Trump 197.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/1331624#Comment_1331624
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

The meeting has reached its maximum capacity of 500. Try again later
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You're the only person I recall bringing it up recently.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

MikeL said:

Election Project has Florida at 8,974k - higher than figure posted on here a few mins ago.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

50k votes difference yes, though only 0.1% diff on the R and D numbers overall
    Do we know Democrat approval for Biden compared to Republican approval for Trump?
  • Options
    SagandSagand Posts: 35

4. And where does it matter? Again, the campaigning does not match the polls. If Biden were truly 8-10 points ahead then they'd surely be in Texas, yet Biden chose to go to Minnesota? Easy to conclude that the internal polling is much tighter than the external polling.

Why would they go to Texas? There's marginal down ballot advantages of winning big, you get to be president for four years whether you win with 270 or 413 so make sure you secure 270. They are campaigning in the places with higher election day voting rather than TX, FL and NC which with the early vote the result is mostly baked in.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

He is toast.

Johnson was the most excruciatingly awful Foreign Secretary. That was way before Covid.

Expectations for Johnson's Prime Ministerial performance were always incredibly low. I am not sure Covid made him noticeably worse.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Duplicate, apologies.
  • Options
    I think Trump can still win

But I might be wrong!
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Sean_F said:

In key states he's getting to a polling error, or electoral shenanigans, away from victory. I don't think high turnout helps him though.
    I agree with this. for all his 'star power' he has a ceiling of those who will vote for him, I dont think its high enough even in the swing states to get him all the way home. On the other hand there are voters who will vote this time who didn't in 2016, a main one being Biden isn't Clinton. So I agree the higher the turnout the worse it is for Trump, even if he does match or even increase his vote share from 2016.
    One final thing even though voting will be up and EV has been unbelievable, I dont think the total votes will be as high as some think, higher than 2016, for sure , but I think Covid and talk of fraud will dampen on the day voting a little, and that is likely to hurt Trump a bit too. In the current pandemic climate I can see less voting on the day than would have otherwise.
  • Options
    Updated forecasts:

538 Economist YouGov
    ---------------------------------------------------

Probability of Biden win 90% 95% 92%
    Probability of Trump win 10% 5% 8%

Median of probability distribution
    (i.e. 50% of the distribution is above/below this value):
    Biden ECVs: 353 345 363
    Trump ECVs: 185 193 175

Expected value of probability distribution
    (i.e. fair value for spread bets):
    Biden ECVs: 350 342 357
    Trump ECVs: 188 196 181

Fair value for N-up spread bets:
    Biden 270-Up: 84 75 89
    Biden 300-Up: 59 48 63
    Biden 330-Up: 38 25 41
    Trump 270-Up: 4 1 4
    Trump 300-Up: 1 0 1

Probability by Ladbrokes band
    Biden 400+ 27% 10% 27%
    Biden 350-399 27% 39% 31%
    Biden 300-349 23% 35% 25%
    Biden 270-299 13% 12% 8%
    Trump 270-299 6% 3% 5%
    Trump 300-349 3% 1% 3%
    Trump 350-399 0% 0% 0%
    Trump 400+ 0% 0% 0%

Other models/pundits DDHQ LeanTossup New Statesman ASI Sabato Jack_W
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Probability of Biden win 87% 96% 90% N/A N/A N/A
    Biden ECVs: 317 384 338 367 321 322

NB Full ECV probability distribution not available for these models.
    Unclear whether headline ECV figures are mean or expected value.
    Sabato: FL,TX,OH,IA,ME-02 lean Trump, GA,NC,PA,AZ,NE-02 lean Biden
    Jack_W: FL,TX,OH,IA Trump, GA,NC,PA,AZ NE-02 ME-02 Biden. FL very close.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Bad predictions are part of the fun, Roger is a PB legend for so many reasons, his Oscar tips have been so profitable for so long, but he's also famous for when Mike back in 2004 tipped Barack Obama as the President in 2008 at 50/1 Roger said No.

Back in 2015 I said backing Donald Trump as next President at 150/1 was wasting your money.

Just enjoy bad predictions as much good ones.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

spudgfsh said:

Sean_F said:

I agree with this. for all his 'star power' he has a ceiling of those who will vote for him, I dont think its high enough even in the swing states to get him all the way home. On the other hand there are voters who will vote this time who didn't in 2016, a main one being Biden isn't Clinton. So I agree the higher the turnout the worse it is for Trump, even if he does match or even increase his vote share from 2016.
    One final thing even though voting will be up and EV has been unbelievable, I dont think the total votes will be as high as some think, higher than 2016, for sure , but I think Covid and talk of fraud will dampen on the day voting a little, and that is likely to hurt Trump a bit too. In the current pandemic climate I can see less voting on the day than would have otherwise.
    When I say talk of fraud I mean simply the fact it might put some off voting at all, perhaps not many but it may be a factor.
  • Options
    (I've no idea what the strange colours are about, probably trying to parse it as C code or something..)
  • Options

He is toast.

Johnson was the most excruciatingly awful Foreign Secretary. That was way before Covid.

Expectations for Johnson's Prime Ministerial performance were always incredibly low. I am not sure Covid made him noticeably worse.
    He has, at times he he totally balls up by misreading / misunderstanding basic questions. It goes beyond his historic record for bluster and bullshit.

Also you see how he runs out of energy. After 30 mins and he goes downhill rapidly.
  • Options

He is toast.

Move over Lord North? ;)
  • Options

Updated forecasts:

538 Economist YouGov
    ---------------------------------------------------

Probability of Biden win 90% 95% 92%
    Probability of Trump win 10% 5% 8%

Median of probability distribution
    (i.e. 50% of the distribution is above/below this value):
    Biden ECVs: 353 345 363
    Trump ECVs: 185 193 175

Expected value of probability distribution
    (i.e. fair value for spread bets):
    Biden ECVs: 350 342 357
    Trump ECVs: 188 196 181

Fair value for N-up spread bets:
    Biden 270-Up: 84 75 89
    Biden 300-Up: 59 48 63
    Biden 330-Up: 38 25 41
    Trump 270-Up: 4 1 4
    Trump 300-Up: 1 0 1

Probability by Ladbrokes band
    Biden 400+ 27% 10% 27%
    Biden 350-399 27% 39% 31%
    Biden 300-349 23% 35% 25%
    Biden 270-299 13% 12% 8%
    Trump 270-299 6% 3% 5%
    Trump 300-349 3% 1% 3%
    Trump 350-399 0% 0% 0%
    Trump 400+ 0% 0% 0%

Other models/pundits DDHQ LeanTossup New Statesman ASI Sabato Jack_W
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Probability of Biden win 87% 96% 90% N/A N/A N/A
    Biden ECVs: 317 384 338 367 321 322

NB Full ECV probability distribution not available for these models.
    Unclear whether headline ECV figures are mean or expected value.
    Sabato: FL,TX,OH,IA,ME-02 lean Trump, GA,NC,PA,AZ,NE-02 lean Biden
    Jack_W: FL,TX,OH,IA Trump, GA,NC,PA,AZ NE-02 ME-02 Biden. FL very close.
    Great work.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

That seems a very fair analysis. I hope you are correct.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

JACK_W said:

Interestingly, that's tighter than your prediction in 2016 which was Clinton 341 .. Trump 197.

Indeed I failed to account for the higher white working class turnout and the down tick in the minority vote. Interestingly a less than one point swing through MI WI PA and FL would have brought a Clinton 338/200 - Thin margins :smiley:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Good point.

Maybe getting someone infected to breath at you for several hours is a bit strong.

Aerosol?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sagand said:

Why would they go to Texas? There's marginal down ballot advantages of winning big, you get to be president for four years whether you win with 270 or 413 so make sure you secure 270. They are campaigning in the places with higher election day voting rather than TX, FL and NC which with the early vote the result is mostly baked in.
    Because they see the chance to at least break the GOP trifecta at state level in Texas, which means a much less GOP-favouring Congressional map for the next ten years.
  • Options
    Quinnipiac poll:

Florida: Likely voters
    Biden 47%
    Trump 42%

Ohio: Likely voters
    Biden 47%
    Trump 43%

National: Likely voters
    Biden 50%
    Trump 39%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

JACK_W said:

Fascinating reading that. Even some discussion of early voting in Florida looking good for the Dems. Spooky.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Dicks swinging in behind Trump.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

At present, I think it's the rhetoric on judges and lawyers and the proposal to review how the courts/legal system works with human rights post Brexit.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Good for him. Boris is big and ugly enough to take it.
  • Options

JACK_W said:

That seems a very fair analysis. I hope you are correct.
    I suspect Trump will hold GA and NC but the rest I agree with, so my prediction is much closer than yours. I'd take either result tbh.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

He is toast.

Move over Lord North? ;)
    I'd like to see a reasoned critique of North. OK the whole colonial war thing, but in those days the generals/admirals on the ground lost wars, not PMs. He lasted 12 years in office and managed the quite tricky feat of being CotE as well as PM for at least some of those, and it seems unjust to compare him to ephemeral pygmies like May and Johnson.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It is, the thing is there's not a huge amount in terms of votes between Biden winning marginally and by a landslide in the EC.

The latter is more likely than the former, but the former is still possible and one must be wary of splitting the difference if one can't decide.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    The great irony of this is that every cycle people talk about the black vote, the Latino vote. Biden's large national margin is probably being driven by the white vote. If Trump drops to below 55% of the white vote he is done and the signs are he is below that.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

This line from the conductor of the last indy poll must have struck home.

'“In focus groups [Boris Johnson] is not just criticized in the way David Cameron and Theresa May were,” James Johnson adds, “but loathed.”'
    I wonder whom Mr Ross favours as the next Imperial Leader?

Edit: And when he joins the SNP, the way things are going. But we have been here before. Ms D (not then a Dame) and Mr J.
    Why not himself, in the fullness of time? It's only Scottish nationalists who want the world, and their own career, to stop at Gretna Green.
  • Options

Dicks swinging in behind Trump.
    John softish, Thomas harder
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Final Quinnipiac:

FLORIDA: Biden 47%, Trump 42%

OHIO: Biden 47%, Trump 43%

NATIONAL: Biden 50%, Trump 39%

https://poll.qu.edu/florida/release-detail?ReleaseID=3683
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Never trust people with boring, common names. Mine was briefly popular in the 80s apparently, but no longer.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Well, here's my best guess for tomorrow: Biden 306 - 232 Trump

But Biden could take FL and GA, making it 351 - 187
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

He is toast.

Move over Lord North? ;)
    I'd like to see a reasoned critique of North. OK the whole colonial war thing, but in those days the generals/admirals on the ground lost wars, not PMs. He lasted 12 years in office and managed the quite tricky feat of being CotE as well as PM for at least some of those, and it seems unjust to compare him to ephemeral pygmies like May and Johnson.
    Isn't it the Intolerable Acts rather than the war itself which he is mainly condemned for?

Had he not gone down the road of having the Intolerable Acts then the war might have been avoided.
This discussion has been closed.