Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In spite of latest polls Trump is a 56% chance on Betfair to retain Florida – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Biden is going to Ohio, which to me is surprising. I would have expected Ohio to be clearly Trumpy in the final analysis. To me that suggests that his campaign does not see Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota as under threat, because all those states would be more friendly than Ohio. But who knows?
  • Options
    Times have details of vaccine proposals as at present. I wont post the tweet as there seem to be problems. Steve Swinford's tweet feed.

Over 50s by Easter.
    Vaccine centres at sports hall and airports - although elderly to get via a mobile service on a bike.
    No plans to be mandatory
    May need 3 shots for the elderly as not clear that if they have a dose of flu the covid vaccine will work.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,836
    edited November 2020

nico679 said:

Bad news for Trump in Pennsylvania.

Many of the large counties are going to start releasing mail in ballot results from as early as 8.30 pm local time . Those are all Democrat strongholds .

8:30pm tonight?
    Election Day at 8.30 pm .

Also interesting Dems have returned 82% of mail in ballots requested v 71% for the GOP.

Of the total returned so far Dems lead by 43 points in terms of party affiliation.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited November 2020

On topic, my view is Trump would have won again had it not been for Covid-19.

I think so too. I thought at the start of the year that he was a shoo-in. But his handling of it and general demeanour has been quite beyond belief.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

If the daily case data is representative we may actually be seeing infection rates falling faster than expected in England, Scotland and NI, by the time lockdown starts the R might be below 0.9 in all three.

Do you think it is representative, as I thought you were previously worried it was not.
    I'm not sure that it is, we'll need to wait for the ONS on Friday.
    And even that is a bit lagged. It is quite frustrating.
    Yes, it's very frustrating. I do wonder what it would take for the ONS to have real time data for this series, it would be absolutely invaluable.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Peter,

I think the previous highest total vote was 131 million in 2008. For Jack W to be correct in predicting 160 million + requires an increase in total votes of over 22% on the highest previous number. Now I know there has been an unprecedented amount of votes already cast. Over 90 million I think. But who wouldn't vote early given the Covid crisis? I'm far from sure that an additional 30 million votes, over and above the previous record, will be cast, counted and allowed in this election. So I'm not tempted to back Trump securing over 70 million votes as odds on.

Whilst you might be right, I see it as a hedge against Trump doing better than expected. Given that Biden has such a huge advantage in early- and mail-voting, the only way Trump can win is by a historically huge turnout tomorrow. If that doesn't materialise and I lose the over 70 million bet, I hope to be more than compensated by my spread bet buy of Biden.
    Richard. How do we know or why do we think Biden is doing so much better that Trump in votes already cast? Is this from polling data?
    All we *can* know is that in states where such datat is available, registered Dems are outvoting registered Reps. Registration is not equal to how people vote, of course.

A good overview here: https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html
  • Options
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Mal557 said:

rkrkrk said:

If you like 538's model... then the states with the biggest discrepancy between the odds and 538's predictions are:
    FL, PA and OH (I think - some states I didn't check, someone better at coding than me could do this automatically I'm sure).

FL: 538 says 68% chance vs. betfair on 44%.
    PA: 538 says 87% chance vs. betfair on 65%.
    OH: 538 says 49% chance vs. betfair on 31%.

To my mind, that makes Florida and PA excellent value.

I have to say, and despite respecting 538 greatly, I have to say the Betfair % look closer to me for sure for FL and PA
    I've been trying to work out what the best value bet is at the moment. My only position is a £10 buy of Biden ECVs at 285 which I'm very happy with. Wish I'd risked a bigger stake.

I think the best value bet is probably Biden to be President.

Biden POTUS: 538 says 90% vs betfair on 66%

The relative value in backing Biden to be POTUS doesn't look as good as backing Biden to win Florida say. But the probability of the bet landing is, of course, significantly more likely.

The thing is with a decent position already on Biden I'm reluctant to stump up a big stake at short odds to make the additional bet worth winning. But Biden to be POTUS at current odds does look huge value.

Decisions, decisions ......
    stjohn - I'm with Richard Nabavi and the Hat Tipper kinabulu in backing Trump to secure >70 million votes, helped no doubt by the fine weather forecast. I'm further encouraged by Jack_W's forecast of there being a total of 160 million + votes cast. Half an hour ago Betfair's back price was 1.75 decimal, but I asked for and obtained 1.80 decimal, i.e. 4/5 less 5% commission. A likely winner in my view, although you may have to wait a few weeks for your money. In typical fashion, Betfair probably won't pay out until every last vote has been officially certified, even if the 70 million total has been comfortably exceeded.
    Peter,

I think the previous highest total vote was 131 million in 2008. For Jack W to be correct in predicting 160 million + requires an increase in total votes of over 22% on the highest previous number. Now I know there has been an unprecedented amount of votes already cast. Over 90 million I think. But who wouldn't vote early given the Covid crisis? I'm far from sure that an additional 30 million votes, over and above the previous record, will be cast, counted and allowed in this election. So I'm not tempted to back Trump securing over 70 million votes as odds on.
    stjohn - your call of course, but I certainly wasn't suggesting that Jack_W's total of 160 million had to be reached to deliver on this bet. Supposing he's 10 million too high and the total figure is 150 million. For Trump to capture 70 million of these would represent 46.7%, hardly an over-ambitious target surely?
  • Options
    Main bets are on Biden to win, with a little bit of messing around on individual states whenever I've liked a tip on pb. Considering another chunk on Biden but redundancy has made me risk-averse. My portfolio would have been more impressive had I not cashed out a few weeks back.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    MaxPB said:

If the daily case data is representative we may actually be seeing infection rates falling faster than expected in England, Scotland and NI, by the time lockdown starts the R might be below 0.9 in all three.

Of course. It's rear view mirror time again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,658
    edited November 2020
    At every US presidential election I've taken an interest in there were predictions of a particularly high turnout, and they proved to be false every time. There was a slightly higher turnout in 2008 when Obama was first elected but nothing special.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Many of the large counties are going to start releasing mail in ballot results from as early as 8.30 pm local time . Those are all Democrat strongholds .

8:30pm tonight?
    Election Day at 8.30 pm .

Also interesting Dems have returned 82% of mail in ballots requested v 71% for the GOP.

Of the total returned so far Dems lead by 43 points in terms of party affiliation.
    Yes but thats mail ins. Repubs have reduced the leads very substantially in Early in person voting, and they have election day to come.

But it will be fascinating, nevertheless.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Ive been thinking about Trumps options to win, and I think I've found a way he can even if he loses the national vote and the electoral vote, and also a way that even if that happens Trafalgar can still be the gold standard.
    At the exit poll instead of asking 'how did you vote' simply ask 'how do you think your neighbour voted'. I am sure Trump would landslide to victory and accept that result graciously with no need for the courts :)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    That "clearly" on 538 keeps appearing and disappearing like the lady of the lake. They really need to make their mind up. Go for it, I say. Forget the cya. There's no need this time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes undoubtedly, but surely the government scientists and data people can also work this out.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    UK cases by specimen date

3-5 days. Lawyer. Kimono. Baseball bat. With nails.

• Options
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Peter,

Whilst you might be right, I see it as a hedge against Trump doing better than expected. Given that Biden has such a huge advantage in early- and mail-voting, the only way Trump can win is by a historically huge turnout tomorrow. If that doesn't materialise and I lose the over 70 million bet, I hope to be more than compensated by my spread bet buy of Biden.
    Richard. How do we know or why do we think Biden is doing so much better that Trump in votes already cast? Is this from polling data?
    Yep, very strong effect in all the polls which have tracked it, for example:

The poll finds that among those who have already voted (64% Biden to 34% Trump) or who plan to vote early but had not yet done so at the time they were interviewed (63% Biden to 33% Trump), Biden holds nearly two-thirds support. Trump leads 59% to 36%, though, among those who say they plan to vote on Election Day.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-trump-florida-georgia-north-carolina-opinion-poll-10-25-2020/
  • Options
    Uk cases by specimen date, scaled to 100k population

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Spreadex EV Biden buy has moved in today frrom 317 to ... drumroll ... 316.

It doesn't tempt me. Whilst I think he will pull over 330 EV's as we all know by now with the system, it only takes one or two tight states to make a world of difference to the EV total.

Mind you, I like the sound of him campaigning today in Ohio. That's not a state I have him down to win. Anyone else on here remember when Ohio used to be the bellwether state?
  • Options
    UK R derived from case data

• Options
    edited November 2020
    UK case summary

• Options
    Oh no .... the moment in every day that I detest. Malmesbury posting massive long splurges of CV data. Why? Why? Why? Nothing to do with betting and if I want that I'll go elsewhere.

It ruins the loading on this site. For the love of god can't you desist?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2020

Why is that ping? I do remember you being hyperactive last time.

Are you planning a late splurge of bets tonight/tomorrow based on the final opinion polls, or maybe you're simply bored this time?

Evening Peter.

Like Mike, I didn’t really rate joe early on - I still don’t - although his boringness is probably an asset against trump.

In terms of betting, my main regret is not piling on biden4potus at evens a few weeks ago at the height of the Hunter Biden laptop nonsense. Those were great odds.

Do you see any standout value bets right now?
  • Options
    UK R by cases and hospital admissions

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Oh no .... the moment in every day that I detest. Malmesbury posting massive long splurges of CV data. Why? Why? Why? Nothing to do with betting and if I want that I'll go elsewhere.

Comments nothing to do with betting? On PB? :o
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    FFS.

Much more?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Looking at that map, move GA and NC into lean red and add to Trumps tally and thats pretty much where I land. A Biden win but a much closer one than the national polls would suggest.
  • Options
    UK Deaths

• Options

Because we like it, and as far as I am aware, you're not the site editor?
  • Options

Because we like it, and as far as I am aware, you're not the site editor?
    Plus it's the tweets which slow things down. Embedded images are fine.
  • Options

How old is your laptop/phone? It's loading images from Imgur, that shouldn't be effecting the speed of any device that is less than 6 or 7 years old. The Twitter loading script is making the website slow, not images from Imgur.
  • Options
    Thank you Malmesbury for the data and it's not causing any issues on my side today. Whatever the issue has been in recent days it's not Malmesbury's data as he's been doing that since before the recent crashes started.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    nico679 said:

I see more garbage is being spewed by Trafalgar . Why people keeping posting his alleged polls is beyond me .

As they were the only pollster who correctly had Trump ahead in Michigan and Pennsylvania in 2016 and do so again
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

dixiedean said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt for @Tyndall

I appreciate that it's not always easy to understand written English at a basic level so I will spell it out for you as you are, as evidenced by your posting on PB, extremely stupid.

I am not criticising people for panic buying. I am explaining to dickheads such as yourself that the circumstances which lead people to panic buy are now established. People will panic buy if they perceive there is a risk to supply. This happened recently in March-May and appears to be happening now, albeit in a more limited way.

Whenever anyone has advanced the idea of empty shelves on account of Brexit, complete arseholes such as yourself have said this is Project Fear.

But it has happened before and might be happening now and if you think the merest hint of supply problems come the end of the transition period will not result in it happening again then, frankly, you really need someone to put you out of your misery.

My prudent buying ‘because of the risk to supply‘ has positioned me so well that I have enough bog roll to last well into next year and have no need to worry about the panic buying of bog roll second time around. Good planning, I think!
    Surely all well run households are already topping up their rolling supply of 25+ bog rolls per person so have no need to panic. Just in time bog roll procurement is so 2019.
    No room left in this house for panic buying of paper products. The guest room closet has been full to overflowing since early March. Will top up on dog food and chicken stock though. Otherwise, the emergency reserves have been maintained in good shape.
    From the first panic - I actually talked to a few people working in supermarkets. They weren't seeing many of the 10 trolleys of bog roll types. Instead they were seeing many more people doing a "full shop"

They reckoned that a lot of people lived with nothing in the cupboard. Bought for tonights dinner etc.... And then they suddenly decided to fill the kitchen cabinets.....
    Which is entirely rational behaviour. Add to that everyone who does a weekly "big shop", doing it this weekend, and buying even 25% more than usual, again, eminently sensible, and you have empty shelves without the slightest hint of anyone panicking at all.
    Another way to think of it - most big supermarkets stick directly onto the shelves. So what you see, is quite often what they have,

How many big packs of bog roll can they stock? - 100 customers later......
    That was how I ended up with so much! Last time, I ordered a jumbo pack of rolls from Waitrose - one of those aimed at large families who like curries - only to have them drop it from the delivery order for three weeks running, because they had sold out.

So, wandering down to the local Co-op one day, miraculously I arrived just after they had shelved the latest stock, and I managed to bag two big packs of rolls. I got home feeling very satisfied, only for the Waitrose delivery the next morning finally to fulfil my order for the jumbo pack. I reckon it’ll be next autumn before I need any more.
  • Options
    I'm not TSE but it fucks the site loading up and it's got bugger all to do with betting.

And lots of us are fed up with endless tweets being pasted in and data tables like this which slow the site down and make it often almost unworkable.

Grump over. I'll go make a cuppa.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited November 2020

Look at that 50,000 strong Trump rally in Butler Pennsylvania.

How many of those people do you honestly think have been reached and polled by democrat-leaning pollsters trying to assess the state?

How many would give those pollsters the time of day?

Given the way Trumpers fall upon any positive polls (and whatever it is Trafalgar produces) for Trump like Farage on a migrant photo op, why wouldn't they want their views to be reflected in positive polling for Trump?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Malmesbury did ask and most of us said yes, it's useful, do carry on.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Crikey, it seems someone I went to uni with has been appointed head of Analysis and Data
    at No 10 (that's Dom's skunkworks unit, I think).

Haven't really kept in touch for the last decade or so, but he (at least when I knew him) was a very capable guy and not in Cummings crazy category, I'd be surprised if he was pro-Brexit (not suggesting you have to be Cummings crazy to be pro-Brexit, but I would have thought that might have been a job requirement). Worked at DfID previously and actually cared about that. Not impossible that under him the unit might even do some useful stuff.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Biden is going to Ohio, which to me is surprising. I would have expected Ohio to be clearly Trumpy in the final analysis. To me that suggests that his campaign does not see Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota as under threat, because all those states would be more friendly than Ohio. But who knows?

But why NOT Ohio? Surely he has the three states you mention sewn up, if not he'd better start worrying, big time. The polls show him closing the gap on Trump in Ohio to within 3% or 4%. Allow for a margin of error in his favour plus a continuing trend towards him and a potentially huge prize awaits. i.e. 18 ECVs!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

If Trump wins, I think it will be more of a 'silent majority' effect that is being missed by pollsters because of sampling errors, rather than a shy voter effect.

I think this IS a silent majority election but it's the other way. The SM have had enough of a Reality TV presidency. 4 years was quite sufficient. They want some peace and quiet now. Get on with their lives without all the angst and drama that comes with Donald Trump. Hence the massive turnout and why the Biden landslide is far more probable than the narrow Trump win.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

In about 48h time we will see who is right and who is wrong about Trafalgar and actual real pollsters etc

I wonder if those who are wrong whomever they may be will acknowledge they were and contemplate why. If Trump wins now I will certainly be wrong.

In about 35 hours we'll have a pretty good idea; at the very least we'll know whether it's a close run thing, or if one candidate has run away with it.

The moment we start getting serious numbers from Florida, we'll start getting useful information on how key demographics such as the suburbs, older voters, rural America etc., are voting. Pretty much the only information we won't start getting in reasonable quantity is how Hispanic (non-Cuban) Americans will vote, because Florida's Hispanics don't look like the rest of the US.
    What time do I have to get up on Wednesday morning UK time?

Ideally I'd like to get some sleep first when not much is happening.
    I’m planning the same. I reckon an early night and setting the alarm for three should do it.
  • Options

I'm not TSE but it fucks the site loading up and it's got bugger all to do with betting.

And lots of us are fed up with endless tweets being pasted in and data tables like this which slow the site down and make it often almost unworkable.

At least on my crappy old phone the page loads fine. It's when it gets bogged down with twitter embeds it becomes a problem. You can notice it on the laptop too, the CPU spikes when refreshing because of the tweets.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Trump gaining ground. BUT what if he gets more votes than Biden but the Dems win Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvannia and get their 272 seats in the College. It is something I have not consdiered before but the Rasmussen poll is so close, closer than their Moday before election day poll in 2016
  • Options
    Er, twitter?

It came up with this when I wanted to see Article 61: "The following media includes potentially sensitive content. Change settings"
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Crikey, it seems someone I went to uni with has been appointed head of Analysis and Data
    at No 10 (that's Dom's skunkworks unit, I think).

Haven't really kept in touch for the last decade or so, but he (at least when I knew him) was a very capable guy and not in Cummings crazy category, I'd be surprised if he was pro-Brexit (not suggesting you have to be Cummings crazy to be pro-Brexit, but I would have thought that might have been a job requirement). Worked at DfID previously and actually cared about that. Not impossible that under him the unit might even do some useful stuff.

He'll end up quitting after a while because Dom will try and do his job better.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,658
    RobD said:

At least on my crappy old phone the page loads fine. It's when it gets bogged down with twitter embeds it becomes a problem. You can notice it on the laptop too, the CPU spikes when refreshing because of the tweets.
    I don't understand why people use phones to read a site like this. It's much easier to read on a laptop or desktop computer.
  • Options
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

I don't understand why people use phones to read a site like this. It's much easier to read on a laptop or desktop computer.
    If i'm sitting on the toilet how else am I going to read PB?

;)
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Ive been thinking about Trumps options to win, and I think I've found a way he can even if he loses the national vote and the electoral vote, and also a way that even if that happens Trafalgar can still be the gold standard.
    At the exit poll instead of asking 'how did you vote' simply ask 'how do you think your neighbour voted'. I am sure Trump would landslide to victory and accept that result graciously with no need for the courts :)

That means that Tump wins the Presidency in America's neighbour. I'm not sure how Canada or Mexico would feel about that.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    HYUFD said:
    Horrifying scenes in Washington DC ...: Farage on walkabout?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Not heard of these before? What's their background. Also any poll for Florida only giving 88% of voters intentions , 12% undecided in FL? The day before? I dont think so,,,,,
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I thought it was a comment about his suit and trainers combo.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Trump gaining ground. BUT what if he gets more votes than Biden but the Dems win Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvannia and get their 272 seats in the College. It is something I have not consdiered before but the Rasmussen poll is so close, closer than their Moday before election day poll in 2016

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1323286244390891522?s=20
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

At this time of day, people may be using a work pc with things like "betting" blocked.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    I thought it was a comment about his suit and trainers combo.
    Absolutely unforgivable, unless you're David Tennant.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Good to see he's got his finger on the pulse of where American swing states are. 😂
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

nico679 said:

Is that 1.30am UK time?

That will just be the results of some ballots as they go along not all of them won't it?

Can someone please explain how the US release results as they go along? Because they aren't like us waiting for all results to be in are they, how does it work? Do they release intermittently or when a precinct is completed or something else?
    Each state has a ballot closing time (like our 10pm), except for one or two that vary with time zones. As soon as that happens, people in that state start counting, and announce the results as they go. People in other states may still be voting (it's a perennial CA complaint that it depresses turnout there as people see the results already coming in and may think the issuer is decided). It seems that some precincts in PA are totalling early voting for early release, but not before ballots close, so yes, 130 UK time.

Finland, I believe, releases updates during the day, so you can see who's winning and decide to rush out and reinforce/counter it. It's an interesting idea, not sure how I feel about it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,240
    edited November 2020
    Shagger really struggling to explain why support for workers was 67% and no money available & "technical reasons" presenting it being 80% in Wales, the NW etc and yet is now back to 80%. Keeps quoting how much money has been spent rather than addressing points like the people who have lost their jobs because of them repeatingly saying no
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

I like it!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Some twat in a moth eaten covert coat who can't even get elected in his own country telling Yanks how to vote is pretty horrifying.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Biden +4 in Georgia but only +2 in Pennsylvania is funny.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Good to see he's got his finger on the pulse of where American swing states are. 😂
    He's getting ready for when DC gets statehood.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Deserted streets,,,,,lockdown? or just advance warning of his visit
  • Options

nico679 said:

Is that 1.30am UK time?

That will just be the results of some ballots as they go along not all of them won't it?

Can someone please explain how the US release results as they go along? Because they aren't like us waiting for all results to be in are they, how does it work? Do they release intermittently or when a precinct is completed or something else?
    Each state has a ballot closing time (like our 10pm), except for one or two that vary with time zones. As soon as that happens, people in that state start counting, and announce the results as they go. People in other states may still be voting (it's a perennial CA complaint that it depresses turnout there as people see the results already coming in and may think the issuer is decided). It seems that some precincts in PA are totalling early voting for early release, but not before ballots close, so yes, 130 UK time.

Finland, I believe, releases updates during the day, so you can see who's winning and decide to rush out and reinforce/counter it. It's an interesting idea, not sure how I feel about it.
    So they give a running total as they go along? No delays?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

In about 48h time we will see who is right and who is wrong about Trafalgar and actual real pollsters etc

I wonder if those who are wrong whomever they may be will acknowledge they were and contemplate why. If Trump wins now I will certainly be wrong.

In about 35 hours we'll have a pretty good idea; at the very least we'll know whether it's a close run thing, or if one candidate has run away with it.

The moment we start getting serious numbers from Florida, we'll start getting useful information on how key demographics such as the suburbs, older voters, rural America etc., are voting. Pretty much the only information we won't start getting in reasonable quantity is how Hispanic (non-Cuban) Americans will vote, because Florida's Hispanics don't look like the rest of the US.
    What time do I have to get up on Wednesday morning UK time?

Ideally I'd like to get some sleep first when not much is happening.
    I’m planning the same. I reckon an early night and setting the alarm for three should do it.
    3am was my thinking too. Four hours sleep should see me through the next day.
  • Options
    Keir not nationalising BT is the right move, was a stupid idea.

Now massive investment in FTTP via a public company, not so stupid.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

nico679 said:

Is that 1.30am UK time?

Nick P. Have you spotted any value bets ahead of tomorrow's election?
  • Options
    RobD said:

It would only take two PB’ers - one from each side of the emerging cultural divide - to stop spamming the site with frankly uninformative tweets, and it would run fine.
  • Options

EPG said:

But why NOT Ohio? Surely he has the three states you mention sewn up, if not he'd better start worrying, big time. The polls show him closing the gap on Trump in Ohio to within 3% or 4%. Allow for a margin of error in his favour plus a continuing trend towards him and a potentially huge prize awaits. i.e. 18 ECVs!
    I guess I see Ohio as a more R version of Michigan, and would have said: if we think Michigan is safe, let's go for a different type of state in case we are wrong, like Wisconsin or Arizona.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Times have details of vaccine proposals as at present. I wont post the tweet as there seem to be problems. Steve Swinford's tweet feed.

Over 50s by Easter.
    Vaccine centres at sports hall and airports - although elderly to get via a mobile service on a bike.
    No plans to be mandatory
    May need 3 shots for the elderly as not clear that if they have a dose of flu the covid vaccine will work.

If that includes care home workers and NHS and social care, and high risk adults, that's 30 million people.
    At that point, even if the vaccine is only 50% effective, we will see some herd immunity effects.

An R(t) of 1.33 would become an R(t) of 0.99
    An R(t) of 1.6 (the higher end of some of the R estimates we've seen with restrictions) would become 1.2
    An R(0) of 3 would become 2.25

If the vaccine was 65% effective:

An R of just under 1.5 would become under 1.0
    An R of 1.6 would become under 1.1
    An R of 3 would become 2.

If they rolled it out further (to 45 million of us) and it was 65% effective:
    An R of just under 2 would become under 1
    An R of 1.6 would become 0.8
    An R of 3 would become 1.5.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Betting post O/T: I`ve been looking at state eve-of-election odds.

For me, the best bet is Biden to win Ohio at 3.15 with BF (only very small sums available). I`m already on Biden to win the state and have topped up my position.
  • Options

Biden +4 in Georgia but only +2 in Pennsylvania is funny.

Does anyone have any background on this company? I'm guessing polling isn't there first activity.
  • Options
    Not to sound rude but is it really any more effort to just post links to the daily case info, if they're on imgur they can open in a new tab. Anything to reduce the page size is a good thing IMHO
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    EPG said:

The Biden senior campaign staff are Obama's Midwestern team from 2008/2012.

They will have a certain amount of personal pride staked on taking Iowa and Ohio.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

It would only take two PB’ers - one from each side of the emerging cultural divide - to stop spamming the site with frankly uninformative tweets, and it would run fine.
    Agreed! And can we stop the victim blaming by the anti-Apple obsessives, arguing that it's somehow my and RobD's fault for using an iPhone!!!
  • Options
    This line from the conductor of the last indy poll must have struck home.

'“In focus groups [Boris Johnson] is not just criticized in the way David Cameron and Theresa May were,” James Johnson adds, “but loathed.”'
  • Options

Shagger really struggling to explain why support for workers was 67% and no money available & "technical reasons" presenting it being 80% in Wales, the NW etc and yet is now back to 80%. Keeps quoting how much money has been spent rather than addressing points like the people who have lost their jobs because of them repeatingly saying no

"No money available" was and is a stupid lie, believed only by the fan boys.

Might we be spending too much (or too little)? Who knows - thats impossible to answer.

Had we run out of money to supply Manchester with if the Treasury wanted to - zero chance.
  • Options
    In case no-one else has posted. Ralston rails against Republican corruption and based on the data thus far calls Nevada for Biden with a near cert level of confidence -

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/biden-will-win-nevada-blue-wave-should-help-down-ballot

It's 1.24 on Betfair.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Agreed! And can we stop the victim blaming by the anti-Apple obsessives, arguing that it's somehow my and RobD's fault for using an iPhone!!!
    True, it's most unfair of people to blame you for not being able to afford an Android phone.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

True, it's most unfair of people to blame you for not being able to afford an Android phone.
    The reason I can't is because I bought this stupid iPhone. ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    The only thing left to find out is who will be Kamala's VP pick in 2024. I reckon Beto, to hold on to this year's gain in Texas.

The above is in the tradition of my "Will Ed Miliband serve more than two terms?" post from some years back. In reality I am nervously optimistic, with periodic pangs of doubt.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    500k PCR capacity. If the government had just pulled their finger out and got this in place for September, they could have had some good headlines for once.

I hope this big fall in reported cases numbers isn't another excel balls up.
  • Options

Keir not nationalising BT is the right move, was a stupid idea.

Now massive investment in FTTP via a public company, not so stupid.

Our voting system is total crap, I wouldn’t put a penny into it.
  • Options
    I have an iPhone and PB works fine on that.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    edited November 2020

'“In focus groups [Boris Johnson] is not just criticized in the way David Cameron and Theresa May were,” James Johnson adds, “but loathed.”'
    I wonder whom Mr Ross favours as the next Imperial Leader?

Edit: And when he joins the SNP, the way things are going. But we have been here before. Ms D (not then a Dame) and Mr J.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

I think that's a bit unfair.

Some people find the phone more convenient for where they are/what they are doing than tablet or computer.
  • Options

Don't you have a the best version of the 11 series? Might have a beefier processor.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

The only thing left to find out is who will be Kamala's VP pick in 2024. I reckon Beto, to hold on to this year's gain in Texas.

The above is in the tradition of my "Will Ed Miliband serve more than two terms?" post from some years back. In reality I am nervously optimistic, with periodic pangs of doubt.

Also, will she be running as the incumbent? Biden might not last the distance.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

I think that's a bit unfair.

Some people find the phone more convenient for where they are/what they are doing than tablet or computer.
    aka Not all of us are bedridden with a laptop on our knees...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

OMG - we now have Apple snowflakes on the site! I didbn't even know it was a thing.
  • Options

Whatever the issue was in recent days on PB it seems to be fixed today.

It's not and never was Malmesbury's charts.
  • Options

Having a grown up in the top job really should be first base. That the UK and US both failed this elementary test is to our shame.
This discussion has been closed.